Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    What I mean is the car comes standard with the air suspension, and that has a number of settings that you can choose through the mmi....If you get the additional `sport setting` it costs 2200 ..You then get the ninteen in wheels with all season tires and you can further choose a sportier suspension setting...As the ninteen inch wheels cost nineteen hundred dollars, the sport addition then costs an additional nine hundred dollars....I just hoped that when you take the test drive you could further inquire about this feature....When I test drove the a8l it felt a little squishy in the normal setting( which I also would normally use) but the dynamic drive is apparently a bit tighter, and then the sport is tightest of all....Sometimes it is fun to tighten things up for certain moods Thanks Tony
  • emaussemauss Member Posts: 151
    I will make an endeavor to test drive one with that option. One of my concerns is the 40-series tires that come with the package. Low profile tire will always cause a problem in snow, and yes, the all wheel drive will counter some of that negative effect, but I still see no reason to even enter that domain.

BTW, my last two cars had 35s on the rear (the Porsche might even have been lower profile) and I have pretty much had my fill of sports mode in 4-wheeled vehicles used for every day travel in NYC.

(e)
  • zangelinazangelina Member Posts: 5
    I just took delivery of a fully loaded 2006 standard wheel base A8. I test drove both the sports and standard suspension versions. I ended up buying the standard version and have been driving using the automatic setting for the adaptive air suspension. The automatic setting is perfect and is not at all squishy. The lift mode is awesome if you have to drive on any dirt roads. I did not think that the sports suspension version handled any better than the standard one and the found the ride of the sports suspension model to be rather rigid and uncomfortable even on relatively smooth roads. The dealer actually told me that they were not planning on ordering any more of the sports suspension versions since he did not think it was worth the extra money. Apparently, the 2005 A8s with the sports suspension version had to be more deeply discounted here in New England in order to get them off the dealers' lots. In any event, the car is amazing and I have already driven the length of Vermont in it with no problem whatsoever. The MMI system is a bit frustrating at first but after an hour or so of trial and error I now love it even though I have not even read the manual. I am so glad I switched to this Audi from my Volvo Cross Country :)
    Thanks. I was pretty sure I was on the right track, and a little affirmation never hurts!
    Eric
    Good news on the audi....I am also getting car, but have to order it...Did you order yours, and if so how long to get it? Thanks Tony
    I just decided (almost) on the A8. I am leaving for China for 3 weeks in a few days, and will sign the deal when I return. I will probably have to order the car, but that is not a problem. I own my present car and will purchase the Audi outright, too. I want the car around the first of the year, but a month one way or the other is not a big deal to me. The dealers always want the deal earlier, but I am just as happy with a February car or a December car.

Eric
    Apparently, I have been led to believe ,that if I order it now it would come in early November....That would be o.k , but suppose something happens like with a previous poster when the car takes six months.....I`l not be treated like that....Well here`s to your trip Tony
    Tony - I was told 60 to 90 days by two different dealers.

Eric
  • tonyloupstonyloups Member Posts: 1
    I have had the exact same problem with my MMI. First they told me they replaced it. Then they said I needed a software upgrade. Both times the MMI worked for a short time and then started to "fritz-out". Currently the MMI does not boot-up at all. Just the other day an Audi owner pulled up next to me at a traffic light and asked me if I was having MMI problems like him.
    Now I have to give up my car for another day or two again so that they can try to maybe fix it. At least the service guys at the dealership have been nice and apologetic about it.
    I have a feeling that may be a come on..But then again I am thinking two months give or take....I`l find out shortly..and report....Whenis the trip to China?

Tonylups What year your car? I read in previous other post that you need not to spill any liquid (other than Vodka) in the mmi, so there is no drinking i my hopefully new car...I also found the dealership in Charleston S.C. to be friendly..

Man oh Man what a shame the storm did so much damage , and bring such pain to the Gulf Coast.....We went through Hugo and I surely can feel for them...Tony
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here are some ways to help: http://www.edmunds.com/relief.html
    I'll be leaving in a few days for almost a month. When I come back I will test drive the Phaeton and the A8 and sign for one of them on that day.

Eric
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    James Bond has not come close to pulling off some of the stunts executed in The Transporter 2. The movie, essentially an 88 minute commercial for the Audi A8L W-12 Quattro flaunts many of the car’s exceptional and avant-guard features.

The big black oversized-grille Audi, with the best paint job I have ever seen, is put through a grueling choreography of disbelieving stunts all without a scratch. Four-wheel drive, bullet-proof glass, blue-tooth technology, and other electronic gizmos are stretched to the limit.

Wow! What a car. Unfortunately, the target market for the A8L W-12 Quattro probably will never see this movie in a theatre where they can gasp, hear the melodic exhaust notes and appreciate the car’s potential. I suspect Audi might put a short clip of it on their website though, a la BMW.
    The following was taken from:
    http://www.audiworld.com/news/05/my2006changes/
    ...and I quote "
    Audi A8

MY 2006
    New single-frame grille for all A8s
    Audi Parking System with graphic display
    Adaptive front light for all A8s
    Heated steering wheel controlled by a separate switch available
    Wood-segment steering wheel available (standard W12)
    18" 5-spoke wheel standard
    New 18" Y-spoke wheel
    19" performance tire now only avail w/ sport package
    Rainsensor standard (added to existing light sensor)
    New design color Driver Information Center
    Daytime Running Light added to Xenon

Audi Exclusive packages available on all A8 models in Red and Anis Yellow

Valcona leather seats with contrasting piping
    Leather on door armrests and center console
    Wood/leather steering wheel and matching wood shift knob
    Unique wood trim (with Intarsia on the Anis Yellow)
    Floor mats with matching piping
    New color Quartz Gray Metallic (replaces atlas gray)
    New color Garnet Red Pearl Effect
    Glove box lock
    Interior leather variant upgrade now standard on A8L
    W12 side badge changes from molding to front fender
    W12 specific rocker panel

"
    nb: MY is not the prossessive pronoun but an abreviation for Model Year.
    I can' t wait to see the Red and Anis Yellow package(s) is(are) like!!

(e)
    That was great to find out....I`m in the process of ordering, so this gives me an idea..I just got the brocure, and didn`t see the yellow in it...I`m not interested in yellow, but it may be an interesting color if it is not lemmon yellow,,,Tony
    Tony - I sent email to my dealer that when I get back from China I want full detail on all available colors and accessories that are available with those color choices.

I'll keep you posted, tho you may purchase before I return.

Eric
    The brocure just came in and has all the a 8 shown and then the colors etc in the back...Of particular interest are two color combinations that both look attractive....classic red and majove sand....they have what I would think to be attractive colors......The one I may be getting is possibly platinum beige.....I want a car that is not too hard to keep clean, and the dark colors are....Right now I ahve a maroon(eggplant) color and when it is clean is quite attractive for the day or so it stays clean....My problem so far is to find out when the car is to be delivered....As I said I am not going to wait four months ...I`l have to cancel out as I was lead to believe nine to twelve weeks....Tony
    I, too have had a problem with dark colors. I had a triple black porsche that was BEAUTIFUL for a day or two after I had it cleaned. Then for the next week or two it looked progressively more filthy.... at least to me! I now have a dark blue BMW and that is a lot better, but a lighter color is probably the way to go.

... Does this mean you are not going to ge3t an A8???

Eric
  • a_k_15a_k_15 Member Posts: 5
    Folks,

Placed an order yesterday for A8L - Northern blue with Platinum, Premium Pkg, 19" wheels, wood/leather steering @ 2000 below MSRP. No other dealer in Chicagoland area offered a better discount. Do you think I could have got a better deal on the price ?

Thx
    A_K_15
    The info I am getting from the 2 dealers I have been working with is that 2K is about the max to expect off MSRP.
    I will be placing an order in about 3 weeks when I return from a trip and have not "beaten them up" yet for the best bottom line price, but I have gotten verbals of "1-2K..depending on your ability to negotiate". (interesting quote from a salesperson..Kinda lets you know that 2K can be expected).

(e)
  • jogi95jogi95 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the movie is certainly entertaining, although not very realistic. And you're right...the A8 looks fantastic in the film.
    However, I think the A8 in the movie had the 4.2 L V8 (instead of the W12 engine), even though the car in the movie had the "W12" badge on the front grille. If you look closely, you'll see that the rear exhaust tips are round, which is what they use with the V8 engine. I believe the A8's with the W12 engine use rectangular shaped exhaust tips.
    Could it be that the movie studio didn't want to pay the extra $30K - $40K for a "real" A8 W12?
    That is the number I got off, two thousand....Your car sounds to be nice....You might give some thought to the sports suspension, as it comes with the ninteen inch wheels, so therefore the sport part of the package costs nine hundred dollars..

Emauss
    When I had a Porsche many year ago, I really enjoyed it...Everyone at one point in their live should have one.....They use to be very simple --no nothing-- not even a/c as they were for purists....Living in S.C it was very hot, but who cared...It was a Targa...

Tony

ps be careful on the bargaining front as it is not too hard to get in a corner and then have the un-enviable decision made based on pride....Two thousand was preety quickly established but from there on it may have gotten personal..
    I usually don't have a problem with negotiations. I work in wholesale hardware and negotiate prices all day long. I am well aware that the dealer is entitled to make a living. After all, if I want him to be there next year, he has to make a profit this year. I just don't want him to retire on the profit from my purchase!

As I stated before, price is a very important component of the bottom line, but really only one component.

Well, I'll be leaving shortly for 3 weeks in China. Good luck to you and I'll type at ya when I get back (unless the hotels have high speed access...I will have my laptop with me...)

(e)
    Tony,

I really want the wood and leather steering wheel (1XL) and sports suspension is not available with that option. Didnot opt for the wooden steering wheel (2005) initially but got a chance to see the new wood/leather 4 spoke steering wheel(2006 and std on W12). I had to compromise on the sports suspension.

I think I could have pushed to $ 2500 but would have wasted another week or so in doing that.

A_K_15
    Hope the hotel has what you need, so stay in touch and also good luck to you!!
    Tony
    I didn`t realize that about the wood wheel and the sport suspension.....The car I have now (lexus) has a mostly wood wheel ...It`s funny, when they first came out there was no wood steering wheel.....I pined away for one, and when they offered it a few years later, I waited for it.....I find they look fabulous, but they sort of stay greasy from palm sweat, and I now find I am not comfortable with it....I spefically decided against the wood long before I started the car search....In the process of getting my wife the bmw 530xi stationwagon, I test drove it , and really then decided how much more I liked her steering wheel.....I only mention this to give you a chance to benefit from my experience....I will keep the audi , if things work out, at least three years , so that is a long time....Don`t get me wrong, I had the wood steering wheel in the last two car for a total of eight years, so it is not that annoying.....I have never had a heated wheel, so I look forward to that option....Tony ps the last part of your note says it all
    Surely there must be more than three of us...If so please speak to your experience with the a 8 , as I personally have had none hanks Tony
    I have been driving my 2006 standard wheel base A8 for several days now and absolutely love it. I have no complaints whatsoever and everything is working flawlessly.
  • jjb94941jjb94941 Member Posts: 1
    I encountered a similar stuck throttle problem with my 2005 A8L (purchased in December 2004). I pulled off from a traffic light quite briskly and the car immediately went to full throttle. After two blocks of fighting the engine with the brake, I resorted to turning the engine off (which of course resulted in loss of power steering and braking). The car was towed to a local Audi dealer, they kept it for two weeks, Audi flew in an engine management expert who pronounced that he couldn't find anything wrong and that I should retrieve the car. After some correspondence with Audi, I am now considering legal action to achieve one of the following outcomes:

locate and fix the problem;
    replace the car; or
    give me a refund
    Thanks for the update....Did you order the car or were you fortunate enough to find one already there?? I unfortunately have to order one, and wonder how long it would take to actually get it?? For the few minutes I was exposed to the mmi, it seemed friendly, but that is maybe because I have been practicing with my wife`s car, a bmw with idrive...I also like the regular a8 vs the L as I rarely use the back seat....It also would seem to me to be a better handling car.....Tony
    ">Was the garnet available at the time you placed your order?

Eric from Beijing
    Eric,

Hope you are enjoying Beijing. It is great at this time of the year.

I have no clue what you are referring to. 'garnet'.

A_K_15
    The color garnet is (maybe) available as an option. There seems to be a little discussion as to whether it is really available now.

1st time in China and loving it so far!

(e)
    Hope the trip over went easily....I am in western north carolina now and it is in the mid fifties at night and high seventies in the day...Almost perfect....I do not see a Garnet color in the brocure...I ordered platinum beige as I felt the color would hide dirt better than the dark colors....Still don`t know when the car may be delivered, and have no idea what to expect......Gas has come down a little Tony
  • johnj01johnj01 Member Posts: 6
    All of these posts have turned me off to an A8. Spending over 80k out the door (T&L) these cars better be bullet-proof. Having to return a car with 52 miles on it and needing new fuel pumps and basically a new MMI is unacceptable, along with the numerous other posts of similar problems and bad service. May have to consider the 750i, but even they are having problems. Mercedes has been replacing transmissions like they're going out of style. Doesn't sound like any high-end cars are worth the money.........or aggravation. Lexus here I come?? :mad: Any thoughts or recommendations???? :confuse:
    I found one with the options I wanted and did not have to wait at all. My dealer called around and was able to find several that had just arrived and were sitting at some port awaiting delivery to dealerships in the Northeastern United States. All I then had to do was pick the one I wanted and they had it for me within 48 hours. The MMI system is actually now very easy to use and I have had no problems with it. The only thing that took any getting used to was the fact that clockwise rotation of the center knob typically makes things go down numerically whereas counter clockwise rotation makes things go up (i.e. for the Sirius satellite radio control clockwise rotation makes the channel number go down). However, this was and is a very minor concern and now that I am used to it it is not even a problem. I also chose the standard length wheel base. The back seat is still very roomy and the shorter car fits better in many of the parking spots at the stores I frequent. Also when my daughters are back there in their car seats it makes it easier to recover the toys they drop while I am driving.
    No problems so far with my 2006 A8 and I already have over a thousand miles on it. I love it. I did not even consider BMW or Mercedes but did look at a Lexus LS and the Lexus RX Hybrid. Once I drove the Audi I knew I wanted it and there really was no comparison between Lexus and Audi from my perspective.
    I have had Lexus last twelve years or so...Each car has had at least one major fault that has been repaired very well...The problem would not necessarily come right off the bat but a little later.....I am trying audi for a change ,and I would think the dealership woud be important to you or anyone....The lexus is a bit on the soft side, but all in all a wonderful thoughtless drive...Very dependable....Tony
    That is a good point for me about the mmi knob...For the few minutes I was in the car I to was a little confused when I turned the knob....That makes sense to me now....My only real risk is I am getting the sports suspension....I really am tired of the lexus soft suspension and look forward to occasionally being able to toss the car a little....The sports suspension I now have really doesn`t tighten things up much, so i rarely use it...I was also thinking of having the windows slightly tinted..What do you think of that idea? Tony
    Tony - The flight was not too bad. Thanks goodness for Business Class!
    The temp is a little high in Beijing....mid 80s during the day. But to get a little back on topic, I am amazed at the number of Audis here. I have seen more A6s in a few days then I have seen in NY in months! They are the older nose style, and almost all of f them are black. There appears to be a long wheel base version, but I might be wrong.

Good luck with your car. Hope you get it soon

Eric
    Thanks-----I`l find out more in a few days about when it will come Tony
    I test drove both the sports and standard suspension versions for the 2005 A8 and ended up choosing the standard suspension for the 2006 A8 I ended up buying. In my opinion, the sports suspension version did not handle much better than the standard one and I found the ride of the sports suspension model to be rather rigid and uncomfortable. So far, I have primarily been driving using the automatic setting for the adaptive air suspension and have found the handling and performance to be quite exhilirating. That being said, you may want to consider that I previously drove a Volvo Cross Country wagon for years so my standards for handling and performance may be less rigorous than those of someone used to driving a car like the Audi A8. In any event why not test drive each version before making your decision?
    Thanks Zangelina-----I have been driving the Lexus the last twelve thirteen years, and although most of the time it is fine there are those other times the suspension has left something to be desired....Here in Charleston S.C there is but one dealer, and they don`t have a car with the sport suspension on an a8...When I drove the test a8 it felt pretty firm and comfortable and of course I was paying more attention to all the new instruments than just the drive...The next day I had to leave for an event that we had planned to go to for months....Typical...I am now back here and plan on going by to review what I am doing.

Are there any other thoughts you may have that could better help me on my purchase?? Thanks again Tony PS emauss I hope you are enjoying yourself
    Went by the dealership, which is in a new building, and spoke with the manager...He is a nice guy and knows his products.....In the course of the talk he made sure to tell me if I were to have any problems or complaints to let him know and not go away mad...Re-assuring as I may have to have some service in the future Hopefully not anything serious....Still no idea when the car may come...Tony
  • foster1foster1 Member Posts: 17
    Hi: I bought a new A8 last December and it has about 3000 miles on it now. Only have had two problems: the tire pressure system stopped working, and the AM radio would forget what station it was tuned to when the car was turned off (and it would keep turning on with the same annoying Hispanic station). They fixed both problems with a "software upgrade" at the first servicing. The car works fine, but I think a new Jaguar XJ-R for about the same price would be more fun to drive. (I have a 1995 XJ-R and didn't buy a new one mostly because the new ones seem just like my old one.) Also, the Audi doesn't come in a lot of colors. Mine is Northern Blue Pearlescent Effect (more commonly known as "grey"), with a rather bland grey interior. I do like the Sirius radio, the integrated On Star phone, and the keyless ignition. Also, it's fun showing off with the automatic trunk open/close feature and the little sunscreen that goes up and down in the rear window.
    How many miles per gallon do you get approximately? Tony
  • len3len3 Member Posts: 4
    MY MMI Locks up. ONE Dealer says he has had 40 similar problems AUDI says customer is at fault. It seems that dust gets in between the buttons Audi caims it is NOT THEIR FAULT Sounds LIKE A BIG DESIGN FLAW. If Audi doesn't stand behind their design errors they are no better than Mercedes.
    Would like to hear from others with MMI problems .This defect sounds like a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT TO GET THEM TO STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT

2005 A8 owner
    Sorry to hear of the problem.....I noticed a number of posts back that some other people have had this problem.....Some of them said the same as you, but also some may have spilled a liquid on it.....I was thinking they possibly would place a barrier under the keys to stop this problem.....Let us know how you choose to persue this problem Thanks Tony
  • len3len3 Member Posts: 4
    will do
This discussion has been closed.