Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Well I guess `no news is good news`....I have been driving the bmw for the last few days, and I sure find the seats comfortable....I further find the idrive , although easy to use, there are just too many steps to do something...The mmi is a bit easier but it too takes to many steps to do something, like change stations...I think the radio controls should just be on their own, and the sound could continue to be controlled by the mmi, sort of like the heating controls are largely seperate....If the voice controls really worked ---and in a thorough way---then things possibly could be better....There is just something inherantly uncomfortable to be speaking to the car and it really doesn`t understand your voice or what you say..My Lexus didn`t either and I never used the voice commands after just a short time...What`s going on in your worlds, and emass too ??? Tony
  • emaussemauss Member Posts: 151
    Loving the car. This is my first "big" car...with a full sized rear seat, and all...and it takes a little getting used to. It doesn't handle quite like my previous cars, but I am far from unhappy. And the more I drive it, the happieer I am with it.

The MMI is a pleasure to use, and the car feels a lot smaller than it really is.

Anyone who gets in it is amazed at the interior. It totally blows away all others (I have not seen the new Merc yet).

Anyway.....

(E)
    O. K. Eric ( I think you used that ame a long time ago in a post)....That is a nice big seating area in the back, but I hardly ever have anyone back there---no friends---Mine is a tiny bit on the small size, but I think big enough for the few friends that will be back there....for short periods of time.....Do you use the voice activated control thing?? or just the mmmi? T ps I think blkhemi is abroad now
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    The W-12 again, after a 16 day hiatus. The CLS is in service, of COURSE. It started showing a "brake loss" message on the COMAND. Anyway, boy am I glad to be back in the W-12. Coming from the Merc, the Audi's seats are couch-comfortable compared to the benchseat-like CLS55. Audi, BMW, and Volvo are tops when it comes seat comfort and safety.

I got the papers in the mail yesterday about the "free" extended warranty and other Audi products to be released in the near future. The R8 Lemans will be a force to be reckoned with. But for some reason, I can't understand why Audi will release the S8 with 450hp when my W-12 produces the same thing. Ah well.

I will be in Dutch country for a while starting next week, so my W-12 will likely be parked until spring. But I will still communicate with you fellas.
    I use the voice activated controls. They take a little getting used to, but once you "get" the commands, they seem to work the first time in 90% of the cases. Stacking commands is sometimes confusing to the system, so in reality it is usually just as quick to use the steering wheel controls.

One major reason for the larger car was my two year old granddaughter. I felt she needed more room in the back than my BMW 330 convertible offered. It is now much easier to my wife to "hop" in back and tend to her when necessary.

As car as AoA goes..I have a complaint in with my regonal rep about my local dealer. There were a few days of conversation, and then a "I'll talk with him and get back to you. You have a valid complaint". Well, it's been well over a week, and I think that the regional guy might think it easier to just let it drop. At this point, I feel the service offered by Audi is typical. A lot of hot air and very little delivery...unless it is really easy.

Eric

ps Tony, that is my name. I have become so used to just signing with (e) that I forget a lot of people don't really know who (e) is!
    Funny how our tastes are close...My wife had the clk convertable, which I also enjoyed on occasion...Our problem was we didn`t have space to carry bulky things around, so we got the bmw stationwagon...On first reading of your post I got a chuckle out of the necessary space to carry you granddaughter around...Back in my time there was no thought about children being in the back seat...I only learned this with the grandchildren, and further it can be a bit of a problem when there are more than three...We gave my daughter the r 300 Lexus (that was what we used before the Mercedes) and there wasn`t enough room for all the friend etc...I told her to just make do, as I wasn`t going to spring for a huge suv....It all worked out...I`l bet your grandchildren(maybe more to come) are awed with that extra space back there....I can just hear the descriptions when we are all dead and gone```Grandfather had the bigggest car ever made, and he sure was a wonderful driver``Tony
    Hope you have a fun time on the trip( I would say to `say hi to your wife) but we haven`t met...I agree with you that imo they should have made your car say fivehundred-five hundred ten hp and the s- 485 0r so...It further would be nice if they supercharged the engine on my car to three seventy or so...If my instruments are correct I get fairly good gas milage with my engine and I do like that...On further thought about waht do you and Eric get?(Eric may read this)with easy driving..Fairwell Tony
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    hi all,

can someone pls tell me if Audi ever has financing specials on used vehicles? I'm extremely interested in purchasing a low mileage 2004 A8L. I'm not in a hurry to purchase the vehicle and can wait - but I just wanted to know if financing specials existed for used A8s. I know they have financing specials on used BMW 7 series (my second choice) currently going on in the chicagoland area (where I'm also from). But I'm in love with the A8L !!

thanks!
    My W-12 is currently getting about 22 mpg right now, which I think is remarkable for the size and weight of the car. So it's safe to say I can get about 400 miles out of one full tank.
    I'm gettign about 17.5. But this is mostly city and city "highways" driving. From experience I would get substantially better outside the city.

(E)
    Eric, once you take the A8 out on a long highway trip, your mileage can get as high as 27 mpg, mine tops out at maybe 24.
    That`s really pretty good when you think of the four hunded fifty horse power engine ....Tomorrow I`m back to Florida an get to see if the plug in the tire held up or is it flat??Either way I get to see my car again....Make sure to stay in touch with us, and maybe give your thoughts on the new Mercedes....Tony
    The sales for our car looked prety strong....I do like it`s scarceness on the road, but also like to think resale value could improve with good demand like this....Further I wonder what would happen with the s 8 if it is fully equipped versus the s550??...That would be an interesting development. Tony
    A loaded S550 with every single option that Merc offers will set you back roughly 115k. Audi has promised that the S8 will sticker under 100k(99k to be exact). The Audi may not have the super-cool Distronic Cruise Control or some of the other frivolous options that Merc offers, but it does pack a V-10 at the cost of every other carmaker V-8's. True, it'll never run a AMG-equipped Benz off the road, but it sure keeps up with the pack.

M-B is a wonderful carmaker. But for the life of me, why did they try to turn the ubiqutous S-Class into a 7-Series BMW. It has the plump butt and the overly-done body treatment. The previous-gen Merc was a force to be reckoned with in the style department. Understated yes, but wholly luxurious and prominent.

A 362-hp V-8 @ $115k VS. a 450-hp V-10 @ $99k???????????
    Need I say more? Audi is clearly the best pick here in the pricing and content dept.
    But is the s8 equipped like your car is, with the really nice leather etc...I bet not...Incidentally I got the leather covered center console an door, but failed to get the headliner, which I think looks great....Apparently for an additional big charge they even improve the leather appearance ( that is the car I saw withthe sticker around a hundred fifty thousand). Unfortunately tomorrow I have the long roadtrip back to S C for a funeral..So I got all of twenty four hours down here in Fl. after the miserable plane trip...So is life... Tony
    The equipment levels in the S8 aren't as generous as the W-12. For the most part, it is because the S8 rides on the standard-wheelbase model(short). And this way, Audi shaved nearly 600 pounds of weight. I was told by Kenny(my Audi rep) that by doing this Audi was able to assure the customers that the S8 will indeed "out-hustle" a W-12.

I'm still skeptic on this one as the S8 will only have 398 pound feet of torque, vs. my 448 worth. I guess only time will tell when I get a chance to drive one next fall. P.S.- I saw another S-Class today. It was a S-320 CDI. This was one of the quietest diesels I've ever heard. I stood right next to it and thought it was a S-550. Too bad, we know the US is not going to let M-B import this diesel unless it is able to pass the new stringent particulate/sulfur test required by the DOT and EPA in '07. I give credit where credit is due, Merc know a thing or two about designing and building diesels and turbo-diesels.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Where did you see that a fully optioned S550 will cost 115K? I've seen only up to 104K with all that "stuff" on it.

Comparing the S8 to the S550 isn't an apples to apples camparision. As much as I like the S8 it won't have a prayer with the upcoming S63 or the S65 AMG models. Those are the cars that it should be compared with, the S550 isn't a tuner model. The same goes for the S6. Wonderful car, but completely outgunned by the E55 and M5. Thats the "pack" not the regular luxury models.

M
    If you want to `bond` with your car, take the trip from Miami to South Carolina in one swoop...We sure have nice cars, and I had no trouble with flying rubber....The radar controlled control works well in the down`pouring rain, so that was nice...It would slow the car down further than I could see which was a safer thing than not working...

Merc I wonder what the cost of the super fast Mercedes 550 is ?? Sort of verse the s 8.. I still compare a car with the dollars they cost for what you get, although you are right....Tony
    I too saw the article in one of the car publications that a "well-equipped" S550 will set you back $104k. HOWEVER, take into consideration the Expresso interior upgrades, upgraded paint, and the 20" wheel/tire option and you get $115k, give or take a few pennies.

I wasn't comparing the S8 and S550 as it was just seeing what you get for the money. True, the upcoming S600 and S63(there will be no S65) will blow it out of the water, maybe in a straight line. However, when it comes time turn in curves, the S8 has clear advantage, having weighing some 500-600 pounds lighter and AWD-equipped, hence powering all four wheels at the same time in a curve. S8, Jaguar Super V8, and the Maserati Q-Porte will be outgunned in a straight line, but it will take the M5 to catch them in the corners. The Mercedes models are just too heavy for true sporting character. I should know, having just come from an S65. It was a rocketship in a straight, but throw in some curves, it's weight becomes evident, despite being ABC equipped and stiffer suspension.

As for the S6, now the E55 and CLS55 will tear it up in a straight line or a fast corner. It hasn't a prayer. But that's not to say all is lost. It has one glowing thing NO other car in the class has: QUATTRO!! And this is why the S8 and S6 will sell very well, especially in the Snowbelt states.
    I too saw the article in one of the car publications that a "well-equipped" S550 will set you back $104k. HOWEVER, take into consideration the Expresso interior upgrades, upgraded paint, and the 20" wheel/tire option and you get $115k, give or take a few pennies.

Yeah, but who is going to buy one with all that equipment? I doubt you'll see many loaded like that, may as well wait for the S63 or get a S600. The average S550 won't cost anywhere near 115K.

I wasn't comparing the S8 and S550 as it was just seeing what you get for the money. True, the upcoming S600 and S63(there will be no S65) will blow it out of the water, maybe in a straight line. However, when it comes time turn in curves, the S8 has clear advantage, having weighing some 500-600 pounds lighter and AWD-equipped, hence powering all four wheels at the same time in a curve.

Well there is a S65 AMG, it goes on sale here in the U.S. in July. I agree that for the money the S8 is a better "value" if you're looking at hp numbers but I doubt the typical S550 buyer is going to want something so sporty.

Oh I hear you about the weight and general setup of Mercedes' cars, even the sportier ones from AMG. The Quattroporte only has one competitor when it comes to handling, the M5. The S8 I doubt will match it. Though I don't think the weight advantage of the S8 will be 500-600lbs, that would make the upcoming S63 a 4900lbs car! I doubt it will that heavy. We'll just have to see if the new S63 or S65 have learned any new handling tricks with the W221 platform.

The S6 still has appeal, but I wonder why Audi wouldn't give this car at least the same hp as the S8. The S6 will likely be matched (if not outdone in the corners) by a mere BMW 550i 6-speed. Hardly seems worth the effort. There just has to be a RS6 in the works, at least I hope there is.

M
    You two certainly know your stuff, but for the last one and a half days I win the driving championship having driven more than eight hundred miles...our highways are really amazing when you think of them, and I am beginning to believe in my car as being reliable...A nice feeling..Tony
    You're right, the S63 won't weigh 4900 pounds. More like a "lighter" 4750. Merc says the weight of the out-going S65 vs. the S63 will be right around 310 pounds, so that is how I got the 4750, which by all means is a LOT of weight, but Merc knows a thing or two about "hiding" weight. Take for instance the now deceased G-Wagen. This thing weighed an astonishing 5800 pounds, yet the G55 scooted to 60 in under 5 seconds.

Moreover, the S63 and the S65 are the same cars. The new S65 has a new trick 6.3L V-8, but Merc decided to keep the S65 moniker. There wil be, however a performance model slated between the S550 and the S63/5. Sort of like the S55 and then the S65 of the '00-'06 S.

As to the S's price when loaded, in the past model S500, few were ill-equipped. Most were loaded to the tilt, Now the S430 was a different story. You could find plenty of them with "minimal" Merc options. I'm willing to bet it'll stay the same.
    Take for instance the now deceased G-Wagen.

Actually the G has been granted a stay of execution in light of all the feedback from its few fans. It is now supposed to get a facelift and continue on until 2009. Isn't that just grand!

Moreover, the S63 and the S65 are the same cars. The new S65 has a new trick 6.3L V-8, but Merc decided to keep the S65 moniker. There wil be, however a performance model slated between the S550 and the S63/5. Sort of like the S55 and then the S65 of the '00-'06 S.

No, the new S65 is the V12 604hp real deal. See article. The new AMG 6.2L V8 will power the S63 and at the current moment rumor has it will be turbocharged for S/CL/SL duty.

M
    I must admit I would like the w12 or the new s 8 engine if it were not so expensive...Expense should not come into this but still I make decisions on what I get for the dollar...My engine is powerful but I haven`t ever driven the w12 so can only imagine how much more powerful it would be....I do on the otherhand get what I think is good gas milage....All the way from Miami to the middle of S.C and then back to Charleston on only one and a half tanks of gas...I thought I must have gotten another tank but -no-Seeing as my trip to Florida was interrupted, I am going up to the mountains of N.C in a day or so, so I will probably get some experience driving in the snow, and hope it works out like blkhemi`s experience although he did get a set of snow tires...I further do wonder why the temperature of the tires seems to vary so much?? The pressure seems to be stable, but the temperature is all over the place Tony
    I stand corrected. I saw the "article" and it looks like Mercedes will remain the power champ. It will be interesting to see how well the new LS600H(I think that's the name of it) will compare. Toyota/Lexus has promised that the LS will deliver AMG and M-like acceleration with less compromise and much better fuel economy, much in the Lexus/Toyota fashion.

Audi still has the hand-up on interiors. No carmaker exudes(ok, maybe Bentley, but wait, they're under the VW umbrella also) as much craftsmanship and quality in their interior materials, ergonomics, and overall style, although the new Merc "fiber-optic" lighting is an interesting and appealing addition.

My W-12 has all what a luxo ride should be: Stately, stylish, luxurious, quiet, and power all in one package.
  • mikerochmikeroch Member Posts: 69
    Hi,

My wife and I have an opportunity to purchase a 2005 A8 in blue with the amaretto interior; convenience pkg; wood steering wheel; 19" wheels; and a couple other options. We like the car and the configuration.

Unfortunately, it has 15,000 (and change) kilometres on it and has only been on the road about 11 months. According to the dealer, it was assigned to the General Manager of the dealership, but it also seems that many other people had a "turn" driving it. It has also been used as a demonstrator. It seems to us that it has a lot of "non-gentle" mileage on it and is really a used car, not a "demonstrator".

It has some scuff marks in the leather and a few other minor problems (broken driver right armrest, scratch in the wood panel in back centre console, and a scuffed front passenger wheel and minor scratches/scrape on front right bumper). We have indicated that the contract must include the repair or replacement of all these items and general acceptable condition of the car to us, or we have the ability to void the contract at our option.

Original cost approx $102k CDN and we are offering $78k CDN (which is the current value according to the Jan/06 "red book"). Looks like the dealership want somewhere around $89k though - which seems very high to us.....

Any comments?

Thanks.
    I would agree with you that the miles would be `hard miles`,so if the price is not low, It might be possible to get an one owner car...I have always felt that the lower the number of drivers the better....I further have experienced a dealer always thinking their demo`s are not used cars...Foolish of them to always pull that to make you feel you have gotten a good deal when they come down to meeet your price..Tony
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    How much is an S55 AMG...135-140k?? Mercedes wins the HP wars, but it comes with an outrageous price. And I personally wouldn't want 600hp in a rear wheel drive car anyway. It's overkill.

The S8 is a killer car for under 100k. Even the latest edition of Car and Driver called the S8 a bargain. The upcoming S6 is also very reasonable and will start in the high 70's and have the 420 hp V-10.
    Before even considering to purchase this car, remember that this is a European car, so the longer the warranty the better. I would have to have an extended warranty through the Audi network. The complexity of electronics, suspension, and engine in these cars can be tedious at times. So a little reassurance is best.

Secondly, @ 89k, I think I would be looking at a new '06 for that kind of dough. It will be tough however to find your exact combo. This is why I waited 4 months to get mine across the pond. I wouldn't purchase the car higher than your offering price.

Alas, the Audi is a terrific car to have ownership of. Very dependable and the road manners and driveability comes close to the top of the heap(750iL). Very low maintenance, and I've got the W-12. The 4.2's are easier to maintain.

P.S.- This car has seem some pretty rough stuff, judging from your description. The dealer would have to address those minor issues before they come major ones.
    Audi still has the hand-up on interiors. No carmaker exudes(ok, maybe Bentley, but wait, they're under the VW umbrella also) as much craftsmanship and quality in their interior materials, ergonomics, and overall style, although the new Merc "fiber-optic" lighting is an interesting and appealing addition.

I agree. The VW Empire as I call it, is king at interiors. From VW to Audi to Bentley to the new Bugatti, no one matches them on interior design and quality of materials.

M
    How much is an S55 AMG...135-140k?? Mercedes wins the HP wars, but it comes with an outrageous price. And I personally wouldn't want 600hp in a rear wheel drive car anyway. It's overkill.

Well the outgoing S55 was like 120K, not 140. I think anything over 300hp is overkill as it surely isn't needed. It is done for bragging rights. The S8 is a bargain compared to AMG S-Classes for sure, but well under 100K the M5 will see it off quite easily. The Quattrporte also comes to mind. While the S6 is a nice car it really doesn't stand a chance against the E55 or M5. Sometimes I wonder why they'd even bother with an S6 and not just do a RS6 with the proper hp to compete with the M5 and upcoming E63. The S6 could be seen however as a superb alternative to a fully loaded E500 or 550i for a lot of buyers, so I guess it does have a place. They need a RS6 to compete with the AMG/M versions though.

M
    not for us here in the good U.S. of A. The Europeans have been enjoying this car since the last-gen A6. This thing crushed the last-gen E55 and M5 in a comparo about 2 years ago. Question??? WHY DON'T THEY JUST IMPORT IT TO MAKE US GAS HAPPY AMERICANS SATISFIED?

One problem that I was unaware of is it's price. The RS6 back then costed upwards of 90k, when the others were fully-stacked @ 70-75k, so I can only imagine what this one would cost over here, especially with the bargain S8 at only $96k.
    BUT, the performance speaks volumes about the automobile. Yes, this is the car that it will take to sloooooooowwwwww down the AMG kids. But all is not lost. It seems Audi is a little weary that BMW is dropping a V-8 in the upcoming M3, so it seems that an import version of the hot RS4 will be coming to our shores. This will be a very exciting addition to the already (IMO) M3-beating S4.

But for now, i'll just be content in my luxo-boat until that time.
    Well we had that RS6 also, for the 2003 model year. It is out of production now though.

I'm hoping that they'll do a new generation RS6 based on the new S6.

M
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The current S65 AMG lists for $172,375. V12 w/ about 600hp.

The S55 has 493hp and it's the most likely rival for the new V10 S8. It lists for about 117k. The S8 will be about 95k or so.

If you have this much money, 20 grand won't kill you. But I think the S8 will be a better looking car. And I like the X factor of having a V10 engine, even though the MB has a bit more HP. I'd want AWD with anything over 400hp in my car anyway.
    Yeah we had the RS6. But it was so unfindable that you had a better chance at an M5 or E55. The last-gen RS6 was a blast to drive and I'm pretty sure the new one is even better.
    Can't argue with you about the looks of the S8, stunning car. Some pics I took at Detroit:

imageimageimage

This is the Audi rocket though, the RS4:

M
    to the States this past Friday and I took my W-12 and blasted to the Hamptons Saturday. Upon my arrival at my buddy's house, there appeared what looked like an '07 S550. Quite naturally I got excited as this would be my first S550 I've seen in the States. It was a gorgeous pearlescent white on oak color combo.

Once I got over my intitial infactuation with the car, I entered my friends house and the first question was, whose car is that? He said it's his for the rest of the year. Well quite naturally it would be his seeing how is a top exec at DCX.

So to make a long story short, I got a chance to drive the car, which was a full-production model @ about $111K. The car drove splendidly well, markedly better than my '05 S65 or the '01 S500. I enjoyed the body control and ride quality that it had. It was very entertaining and the new 4-valve V-8 is years ahead of the 3-valver it replaces. Better throttle response and it sounds better through the rev range than that of my 2001 S500. With that said, I wonder why Mercedes skimped out on the interior. Don't get me wrong, it's interior is better than the outgoing '06 model, particularly how the panels line up and the interior material choice is appropiate at this price range. Everything feels rich. BUT, this ain't no Audi. The center stack, even tho better than the old one, looks cheap. The window switches remind me of my '72 Caddy Eldo convertible. They have a metallic look to them that doesn't go with the rest of the car. And can we say i-Drive, part 2. It is almost a direct clone. They could've learned a thing or two from Audi's MMI.

On the other hand, he drove my W-12 and was immediately impressed. He had never driven a new A8, so he was shocked at the way the car behaved, especially since the car is such a sleeper. He said that he wishes that he could hire the entire interior design team away from the VW Group and install them at DC. His remarks were that the seats are exemplary, and the choice of plastics, leather's, wood's, and fabrics are nothing short of outstanding.

After a few(ok, way too many) drinks, I asked, if you had to choose, which car would you take home today? Shockingly, he said the Audi. I said even tho it's been on the market for 2 years, it's not the "in" car right now. He replied that it doesn't matter; the time and effort that Audi puts in their cars speaks volumes about the product that they put on the market.
    Thanks for the firsthand input about the new Mercedes..Sounds like the car is a winner, but I am a little surprised about the seats...I would think that they would have ben more to rave about...They and Lexus have some pretty hard seats, and I would have thought they would have plushed them up just a bit....I notice that I can drive the Audi far longer and not get fatigued ,than the Lexus.. We got a bit of snow up here in the mountains and the Audi did fine with the all seasons..Audi might not be the `Hot` car but I think it is getting warmer and warmer...Do you notice how quickly it does get warm on the inside....For me quicker than any other car I have ever had..Now if I had about just four hundred hp and the leather headliner I would have `the car` Tony
    I'm on my way to return my grandaughter. We've had her for the weekend, and we're going out now to Bronxville from Queens. We've had more than 20" in Central Park and well over 12" in Queens.

I'll let you know how it went when we return.

eric
    The trip was totally uneventful..and that's a good thing. Most major road were clear, and the secondary and tercieary roads where no obsticle for my car. I saw other vehicles stuck and skidding, but I just kept on turckin'.

This is a new experience for me. My last two cars where a BMW 330CI Convertible w/sports package and a Porsche Boxster w/sports package. Both of which would do 360s with more than 3 snowflakes on the ground!

eric
    I went out on the Long Island Sound earlier today. As you know, we New Yorkers are experiencing a Nor'easter, one heck of a storm. The W-12 proved a steady cruiser, especially if the car even thought about sliding or skidding, the stability and traction controls quelled it that instance. The quattro system is without a doubt, BEST among the AWD luxo sedans(Merc-4Matic, Volvo AWD, etc). This car has proved to me to be an all-weather vehicle, so much so that I'm thinking of selling my Jeep JGC and just keeping my Commander for my very rare off-road excursions.

Now if we can get rid of the snow, I'll be able to enjoy the dry side of the W-12's performance.
    Interesting review. Mercedes nor BMW "work" the materials when it comes to design like Audi does IMO. That said I think the S600 would be the right car to compare a W12 A8 with.

M
    Hi Eric---Long time--The snow storm started down here and then built as it tracked north...We only got a few inches, but enough for a test...I just wondered about how deep a snow you could have and not scrape the bottom...I kept the car elevated, but don`t think that it would go much deeper than five inches or so...What`s the magic number?? Tony
    They say we had over 26" of snow in Central Park, but here in Queens (about 7 miles away), I would say we have nearer to 15".

I had the car raised for the first part of my traveling, but quickly brought it back down when I realized I was not where near bottoming out.

As was said, the car handle with aplomb and is a pleasure to drive even in this pretty bad weather.

(e)
    It doesn't matter which model when it comes to the interior. Even the base A8 outscores all of it's competition in this category.

Now far as model designation is concerned in the performance area, sure, it's only fair to compare apples-to-apples. The W-12 and the S600. The S600 is faster, but the W-12 is a much better cocoon to enjoy the scenery in.
    Well I haven't been in the new S yet since they didn't allow anyone to sit in them at Detroit. I would still generally agree that the Audi has a better interior more so in looks and design than just sheer better materials, IMO.

M
  • thuinkerthuinker Member Posts: 14
    I've read through quite a few pages and see your name keep popping up. I'm gathering you're somewhat of an expert. I'm interested in the A8L but my son just found some stuff from Consumer Reports which suggests reliability issues. How long have you been an Audi owner and what is your experience/knowledge of A8 reliability issues? Appreciate your candor.
    Can any A8 L owner tell me how much over invoice I should expect to pay? What are your experiences?
    What are the 16 ways the front seats move? I can't find anything online or in the A8L brochure.
    My Audi W-12 has been mechanically flawless(save the headlamp issue) throughout this first 3200 miles. The car is as solid as vault, and I get better than expected mileage from a car with 12 cylinders and 450hp.

As to the reliabililty issues from Consumer Reports, one sentence: Don't believe everything you read. Case and point:

I owned a '98 Lexus LS400, which at the time was supposed to be the reliablilty king in the luxury car biz. At 4000 miles, the PCM(computer) went out, at 12300 miles the tranny, and then at 35000 miles the front suspension needed major work(bushings, control arms, and tie-rod ends). All was done under warranty true enough, but this is still a Toyota in a tux, so these issues should be non-existant.

By comparison, the Consumer Reports has both the BMW 750il and Mercedes S-Class with subpar reliability standings. Well I've owned both, and besides the Bimmer's i-Drive unit crashing twice and the Merc's fuel management system problem on the 2001 S500, they were all excellent reliable cars. My Audi has needed nothing more than 93 octane to keep it going.

Reliability ratings on most luxury cars are going to be generally lower than those on a run-of-the-mill car. So yes, an Audi A8 will have lower reliability ratings than a VW Jetta or Beatle. A LS430 will not have the same reliability rating as a Camry, nor will a Acura RL acheive the high levels of reliability a Honda Accord has, and so on. This all is because most luxo cars come with so many gadgets that they are generally included in what "breaks down" from time to time. BMW, Audi, Jag, Merc, Lexus, Acura, even Caddy vehicles are overloaded with techno-gadgets that will over a long period of time start to have difficulties. But this is to be expected as nothing works forever, Laws of Science.

As for the price, you may find some eager dealers willing to go for invoice pricing. My sister just bought a S4 Cab for $500 over invoice, which was a spectacular deal seeing how there are only a handful S4 Cabs imported.

Alas, the seats. The 16-way Multi-Adjustable seat is a marvel of a seat. The cushion actually adjusts seperately of the rest of the seat, the headrest adjusts are power, it tilts fore and aft, it's height adjustable, and the W-12's have a cooling fuction(I think the A8L's have it as an option). The seats are so comfortable that you'll never get the fatigued feeling associated with most German leather seats.
This discussion has been closed.