Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I had a chance to sit in the new S-Class a few days ago at the Chicago autoshow and you were right, the S while nice doesn't have the overall feeling of the A8 when it comes to the warmth of the interior. The Mercedes feels of high quality for sure, much better than the outgoing S, but it still feels asture compared to the Audi. Long live the VW empire when it comes to interior dominance!

Oh, the 7-Series is nice too, but I like the S even better than it.

M
  • thuinkerthuinker Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for response. Can you tell me what you know about the Security glass option? I live in climate which is fairly warm in summer but I'm wondering if glass might be necessary to reduce wind noise even more . . . perhaps it will make no difference with wind noise. :)
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    The new S is years ahead of the outgoing '06 model. Don't get me wrong, the 3-pointed star will still reign supreme in luxury car biz, no matter how good the Audi's interior is.

However, I think this was Mercedes oppurtunity to put the rest of the industry out to pasture. But in typical M-B fashion, they did bring to the industry some new technology. The new laser cruise control is one heck of a breakthrough in this market(any market), particularly how it stops on a dime and resumes speed again without driver initial input. And since they couldn't get the interior to Audi levels, they did give it new fiber-optic lighting. But here they fumbled the ball too, incorporating the i-Drive-like infotainment center.

But again, M-B has one thing up it's sleeve that nobody can touch: POWER, and lots of it. The S550 scoots to 60 in 5.5 seconds, with only 362-hp to move a four and half ton car, that is remarkable. The 7-G tranny is just phenomenal. This is how Merc makes the most out of their engines, and for the first time they'll offer it on the super-fast AMG models and the S600.

So to sum it up, no the interior is not up to VW/Audi standards, but Merc set the bar even higher for the rest of the field envoking it's provocative styling(a first for an M-B) and adding some of the most tasteful technology and right-out power ever.

P.S.- I think I'm starting to like the styling now that I've stood so close to one.
    I have the security glass(which is standard on the W-12, optional on the standard and L models), and it is laminated and double-paned, which is the reason that the option is rather expensive(about 600 bucks). Some other automakers have so-called "security glass", but it's nothing more than a 3M-applied laminate that has been adhered to the glass.

The glass does make for one extraordinary quiet ride, in fact maybe a little to quiet. You can't hear any road rumble and only when you get up to about 90 mph does any wind noise come around the mirrors. It also is a worthy option, IMO, as the glass is 5 times more rigid than the standard single pane, which adds to security in the event that a perp will try to break a window to enter the car. Even the side glass on the rear doors are double-paned.
    LOL...I think you meant a 2 1/2 ton car, not a 4 1/2 ton car. Not even a Bentley weighs that much!

Well German carmakers operate on the monkey see, monkey do system. Once BMW did it, Audi felt compelled and there was no way Mercedes was going to be left out so there you have it.

M
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I also have the double paned glass and the solar paneled moon roof...I like both, but you may not want the solar panel, as it does not have an inside movable screen...It opens and tilts though....I like the solar powered blower as it keeps the car coler and fresher as it sits in the sun...Further I got the leather coverd center console and wish I had gotten the leather headliner...At the time I thought it was expensive for what you got...Tony ps no problems with three thousand miles other than hitting the tire tread on the road....unavoidable
    Sorry, 21/2 ton car, not 8500 pounds(lol). This is a Mercedes, not a Hummer H1.:P
  • emaussemauss Member Posts: 151
    I picked up my A8L 4.2 in the end of December. My only "regret" is that I did not order the insulated glass. From what I have learned, it contributes to the quality of the ride....not that the ride quality in mine is at all shabby!

...and for me the lumbar massage and ventilated seats were a must.

Eric
  • glevittglevitt Member Posts: 30
    A friend and I were discussing the A8 w-12 and we disagree on the origin of the engine. Is this engine specific to Audi or is it a global VW engine meaning used in Phaeton and in some form the Bentley? Definitive proof also helpful.
    Thanks!
    The W12 engine is used in the Audi A8 W12, Phaeton W12, Bentley Continental GT and Bentley Flying Spur. In the Bentleys it is twin-turbocharged.

Roadtest of the Bentley Continental GT.

A quote: "The 6-litre W12 engine shipped over from Audi, complete with a brace of turbos, is more than up to the job, though. It produces 551bhp at 6100rpm and masses of torque, 480lb/ft at 1600rpm."

Plenty of aritcles on Audi/VW/Bentley and their shared usage of the W12 can be found here.

M
    You guys may know this, but while I was putting the car cover on (migration of birds) I noticed the tool compartment on the inside of the trunk lid...I never saw it before as the trunk lid lip blocks my vision of it...Tony
    It is two narrow-angle(VR6) Volkswagen engines married at the block, hence the W cylinder pattern, instead of V.

VW must know something that other carmakers do not about "marrying" engines as this is one of the most smooth and turbine-like engines I've ever heard or felt. Very smooth and drama-free over it's powerband. Too bad it didn't work out in the W8 Passat, which didn't catch on quite well in the States due to slow sells. The same for the wonderful but dull Phaeton V-8/W-12.
  • denaliinpadenaliinpa Member Posts: 169
    hi guys,

I've had an swb 05 A8 for 14 months. so far the car has been flawless. i live in the northeast. i have 2 awd full size vehicles so i really never expected to use the A8 for bad weather. all this changed a few weeks ago when i got snagged in a snow storm leaving work late. i was amazed at how well the A8 handled snow covered roads. the car has the original all season tires on it and it didn't slip once. now i drive the car regardless of the weather conditions.
    overall this is just an amazing vehicle. this is my first Audi. if the experience stays like this it won't be my last. :)
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your A8.
  • toddrocktoddrock Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy an 2005 A8L W12 used. It has the Bridgestone tires on it - 255 YR40 19". Anybody have any idea how many miles these tires will last if car is not driven into the ground?
    I have the 20's on my W-12, and they have a 35,000 mile treadwear on them, so I'd imagine the 19's should be even better.

Here's an old mechanic's trick: Take a quarter and stick it in the groove of the tire. If you can only see half of it , then tread is good. If only 3/4 quarters of it, then they have about 75% still left on them.

If you do purchase the car, just remember that these cars are heavy and with low-profile tires, they'll need constant rotation(about every 3k miles or every oil change)
  • rspivakrspivak Member Posts: 7
    Have great trouble finding rubber, harsh weather mats for the car. Cleveland and ski country weather requires mats with sand beige interior. Any ideas - Audi only makes the lwb version mats, correct? Great so far, just out of a BMW 745iL so no drastic shift in cars. Think the A8 better in some respects,(MMI, interior, exterior looks (Northern Blue) 19"), some harshness on the road that the BMW isolated you from, could be the 19" tires. Also gas pedal effort surprising. Found that cruising at 72MPH if I didn't mind the throttle I was at 62, but I paid for cruise, so I should use it. Overall, I need to wait awhile and let the family help the judging. Down from the iL to swb is a big change, hope the kid doesn't grow too fast. Dealer experience just PERFECT, great delivery, good follow up, thank you letter and email. Right on from Stoddard, Mentor, OH. Great experience so far.
    I went through great trouble myself finding winter/slush mats for my W-12. So I did what my old man would do, go to Wal-mart and buy the color matching interior for $25. Get that: A set of $25 floormats in a $125k car(lol). Funny thing is, they match the cashmere interior of my car exactly. I bought them for the simple reason that they are trimmable, meaning that I can fit them into the front/rear floors like custom mats.

On another note, I found that my pedal effort was a tad stiffer than that of my previous 760il, but much lighter than that of my previous S65 AMG. But the Audi drives and rides better than both(except the Bimmer in fast curves) despite having 20" wheels and it accelerates off the line without the sagginess of both of those cars. Overall, I think W-12 splits the difference of both of the other V-12 cars. Quieter, better gas mileage, and the safety of quattro AWD.
  • rspivakrspivak Member Posts: 7
    I have also found Discount Auto mats that color match and seem to initially fit rather well. Think they may end up sliding around a bit, but should work. Still don't understand why Audi doesn't make mats for the car.
    Thanks.
    Bought used 2005 A8L W12 last week. Had 11K+ miles on it. Flew to pick it up and drove it nearly 800 miles back home and made an astonishing 21+ MPG all the while averaging nearly 80 MPH! :) All my friends were asking me if this engine was like the Hemi where 1/2 the engine shuts down when not needed . . . I told them "no". Was I right?
    Yes you were correct.

M
    Good luck with your new car....What inside color is it? Tony
    That's about the same I achieve in my '06 W-12. The main reason the car gets such good mileage on the open highway is the tallish 6th gear in the transmission, which permits the engine to stay deep down in the rev range (figure about 1600 rpm's @ 70 mph, which is fantastic).

I've gotten as high as 26 mpg when there is no wind and travelling at about 65-70 mph(so hard to do with this much power on tap).

On another note, this car gets better as the miles roll on by. It seems like the engine is getting quieter and the transmission shifts are buttery-smooth, unlike when new with the somewhat abrupt 1-2 shift.

P.S.- Did you get the extended warrannty covering ALL suspension, engine, and electronics through Audi? I sure hope you did if you plan on keeping the car for long.
    hi guys,

about a month and half ago my local dealer received a couple of new M5's. i went down to look at them and eventually took one out for a test drive. the car was
    fantastic to drive. powerful with fantastic handling. in the end i decided not to give up
    my A8 for the M5. one of the reasons was that i was nervous about first year reliability. like many high end German vehicles i figured the complexity of the M5 was destined to have some first year issues. i owned an 03 M5 so i still post from time to time on the M5 board. i've been visiting the board more frequently lately and i am amazed at the amount of problems the first batch of M5's are having. i've been a big defender of German vehicles particularly on these boards but BMW seems to me to have a mess on their hands with the new M5's. in contrast my A8 has been flawless. the 04's had some mmi issues but overall Audi has manufactured a very good vehicle. my short wheel base handles great(not M5 great but pretty good!), is roomy and comfortable, and can take anything mother nature can throw at it. if my ownership experience stays like this it will be hard not to purchase another Audi in the future.
  • rfliamrfliam Member Posts: 8
    Hi I know this is a late response to your post, however have you gotten any resolution to your sudden acceleration problems. If not drop me a line and I'll update you.
    It's Aztec Grey with black interior. Has the all leather upgrade so it's really nice inside. Love to get in it. :)
    I did not get an extended warranty. I bought the car used from a Porsche dealer who took it in trade. I asked an Audi dealer if an extended warranty was available and was told, "if the car is used, an extended warranty is only available if the car is 'Certified'." Does that sound right to you?
    I do have one more question about my W-12's Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). I've noticed on occasion while the car is in ACC, I'm in the fast (#1) lane, and I'm at least 4 or 5 seconds behind the nearest car in front of me, as I go to pass a car in the next lane over (#2 lane), the ACC kicks in, brakes fairly hard, and slows me down so I stay behind the car I'm passing in that other lane. This doesn't seem right . . . any ideas?
    As to the extended warranty, the dealer was both right and wrong. If your W-12 had been a "certified" car, then yes there is an automatic extended warranty that goes up to 100k miles, or 6 years(if I'm correct). However, what he did omit was the fact that there is an extended warranty available through Audi of NA dealers. Even tho your car is still covered(I'd imagine so seeing how it's only got 11k miles), you should be able to opt for an extended warranty, at a cost of course(lol). Call Audi of NA(the direct number for warranty coverage should be listed in your owner's manuel) and they should provide you with the correct info on purcashing additional warranty coverage.

As to the ACC, I've read on other Audi forums that some owners were experiencing your exact problem. The most frequent problem lies within both the software and infra-red sensory, which prohibits the car to trail to close. In the event that the sensor is dirty or distorted, it will read the car on either side of car, which will slow it down and not allow a passing manuever. I, fortunately, have not had this problem, but I do know it exist, especially on early-build models.
    The new Bimmer M5 is one heck of a car, being in a class all its own. It is technological force to be reckoned with, and because of this, it suffers in the reliability and practicality departments. All of that software will eventually give out. One other major issue, it takes 7 STEPS to acheive that blissful 500-hp; in the CLS55 and Audi S8, all you have to do is bury the pedal and take off.

Overall, my Audi experience has been exemplary also. Never have I had to nag and complain to get something done, in some cases they actually went beyond and over my demands. True, the Audi will never be an M5, matter fact no car will, but take it from me coming from an 760il, the Audi is just an overall better rider. The 760 took curves and fast sweeps with more attitude and poise, but on the open road, the Audi will flat out run over the 760. It has been my experience that the Bimmers have the best steering and braking in the class, hands down, but they suffer hard with reliability and customer satisfaction(M versions not withstanding) while Audi and shockingly Jag's remain high in the Euro-car satifaction comparisons. As a matter fact, Mercedes does worst than BMW.

I was happy with my 760il until I drove the W-12 and actually paid some attention to the execution to detail, material, and overall build quality. So I dumped both my 760il and S65 AMG for the W-12. Now I've got my eyes on the S8 with the wife considering dumping the CLS55. She is such a leadfoot. All of her cars have to be the hi-po version, and that explains why she won't let me sell our G55 for a new Audi Q7 V-8 when it comes out.
  • cec1cec1 Member Posts: 2
    anyone out there replace the conti extremes on a 2004 A8L?

mine has 27k miles, tires are shot...naturally. Anyone try a new tire vs OEM? I live in high desert with occasional snow and like to drive spiritedly....any suggestions out there on tires people have liked to increase performance without giving up on road noise / stiffness?

thanks
    cec1, the best tire that I found to replace my worn-out rubber on my previous S65 AMG were the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. This tire splits the difference between comfort and sport. And they actually made the car quieter than the originals while still retaining a great amount of road adhesion. Depending on your wheel size, they range from $160-$240 a pop, so a little on the pricey side, but you definetely get what you pay for with these tires.

I can't wait to wear down the Conti's on my W-12 with the 20's on it because I've recently learned that Michelin has the sizes all the way up to a 22" rim now.
    Long time no hear from!!! :D

M
    hey marcus,

hey...how's it going!? i've been doing more lurking than
    posting the past few months. i'm surprised that the
    "high end luxury thread" isn't exploding with "Lexus
    are perfect" posts since the latest Consumer Reports.
    is "oac" no more?? so what do you think of the new S. it has been getting some rave reviews. i have yet to see one in person. it seems MB pulled out all of the stops to put the S back on top.

after reading "blkhemi" posts i find
    myself jealous of some of the outstanding machinery that has been placed in his garage. makes me want to go buy
    a ski mask and visit my local banker with a big paper bag and a note!

one thing i feel most people would be able to agree on is the attention to detail that Audi puts into their interiors. it may not hit a person when they first sit in the vehicle but given a little seat time they will notice that their is true commitment to quality and intelligent design.

on last thought.... i'm hoping that Audi ups the HP in the 07 A8 to try and keep pace with the competition. 360 would be just the ticket.
    Things have been pretty good, but kinda boring around here I guess. Yes OAC left us, but I'd bet he still reads the boards from time to time. I think we've debated the reliabilty vs desireability enough to have it not come up again. Well at least for now. Look for the HELM board to light up again when the comparos between the LS460/S550/750 come this fall.

I've become a big fan of the new S-Class, having seen it up close and personal more than a few times now. The car is a winner and reeks of quality like a Mercedes should, unlike the first years of the previous W220 S-Class.

Yes blkhemi has (or has had) an impressive collection of vehicles. A8 W12, G55, S65 etc, yikes!

Yes the VW empire is the ruler in interiors IMO. Well you know that new Q7 has a newer version of the Auid V8 with FSI so I'm sure it will find its way into the A8 for 2007. I would also bet on the A8 getting a facelift for 2007 or 2008.

M
  • cec1cec1 Member Posts: 2
    alright, thanks for the read, much appreciated. just cant stand the contis...ny 540 had them, hated them there too...
    After a two week hiatus, the return to my car was excitedly anticipated...Unfortunately the cover seems to blow off easily---it needs some more gromets to hold it down firmly, but the neighbors helped out keeping it on...It started up instantly, and I got that good feeling ....My what a nic car....Tony
    I finally talked the wife into selling the CLS and going for the S8. We are off to the dealer tomorrow to put a deposit down on the car, which will be ready in the fall. I never thought that I'd be able to get her out of an M-B, but persistance is everything.

We got word from Audi of NA that they're now accepting deposits for the Q7 and S8. Here's where it gets tricky: M-B is set to release it's Hi-Po S63 AMG, so it may take a little more persistance to get her to stay the course. If push comes to shove, I just may have to sell my beloved W to keep the S8. What a pity!(lol)
    Went this morning to put a $50k($119k total, with about 20k in options) deposit down on the S8. We got comfirmation today that the car won't be ready until Nov. '06, which is quite a long time to wait, but will be wholly worth it.

As to CLS, we stopped in at the Merc dealer, and found out the car is still worth about $83.5k, despite 7500 miles on it and minimal wear and tear. We'll be selling it and just rely on the G55 or the Commander to get her around, because the W-12 is considered an "old man's car", she wouldn't be caught dead driving it.

BTW, the W-12 is still running as new, and I finally got the trip computer to read one mpg instead of fluctuating between 17.9 and 19.2 in the city, it reads 18.5 now and has been doing so for a couple of weeks.
    Went by the dealer to ask about the slight play in the drivetrain when the car is in park....They said it was normal, although I`m not sure anyone really knows...I`l further check when they get a new 8 in someday...As I understand from you all you have the same slight play?? The dealer was quite anxious to get me a new s8, but I`l have to wait as I like the present car and don`t want to take such a hit in the value....I`v had no problem with the car at all, but did forget how to use the phone after I was away for a while...I`m still not intuitive with the mmi, but it does come back quickly to me...As it is now beginning to warm up, the fan that works off the solar panel does keep the car fresh and cool with the sun baking down...When it really gets hot I doubt it will be all that cool but way better than I`m use to Tony
  • 3carjack3carjack Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2004 A8. I live in Culpeper and work in Northern Virginia. Which dealer do you recommend for service?

Thanks,

Jack
  • matthewnfmatthewnf Member Posts: 3
    good condition overall.

anyone familiar with the 2000 model? would you recommend it? what sort of maintenance issues and costs do you think i would be in for at this point?

pricing on vehicle - Edmunds says about 17,000, KBB says about 25,000. big difference - more than usual. dealer wants about 25k, but says will come down to 23k. any advice would be appreciated!

many thanks - matthew
    The pre-'04 A8 is a great looking and driving automobile, however, BEWARE: These cars have some of the most expensive repair costs in the business.

First, depending on the mileage, the car may be a great investment. If it's a low mile/one owner car, it would be worth the investment on the approval of the service records. I would definetely have to see a steady history of preventive and basic maintenance.

Secondly, the price. If this car is really catching your eye, then offer 20k, straight up. I'm willing to bet that he'll be more than willing to give a great deal on it.

Finally, if it's a higher mileage car, then I'd definetely have to make sure that both the quattro and suspension has been serviced throughly. You do not want a suspension or AWD problem out of these cars. And last but certainly not least, always, always, always run the CARFAX on ANY potential pre-owned car. This will save you the pain down the line.
    I'm loving my newly purchased 2005 A8W12 but have run into problem with bluetooth. I have a Motorola RAZR phone which is not compatible with 05 model year. I use Verizon Wireless service and wonder if anyone is having success with a bluetooth capable phone NOT on the Audi compatibility list. I went to Verizon Wireless store yesterday and none of the phones on that list are available or sold there any longer so I'm wondering if there are any other Verizon Bluetooth capable phones which might be working in the A8. :confuse:
    hi guys,

it seems some changes are in order for 07. first the A8's horsepower will go up. it will now receive the FSI engine. my guess is it will rise to about 360HP. secondly the B & O sound system will be an option for all A8's not just the S8.

on a side note i am hoping that the A8 will receive the integrated spoiler that the S8 will have. i think it adds
    a nice touch to the rear of the car. 07's should be showing up at dealers in a couple of months. it's still not known if the A8 will have an S line package. if i here anything else i will post it.
    All has been fine with the car...I on the other hand have trouble using the phone....Today while waiting for the bridge to close, I punched in Name, then scrolled down to the name...It then says options and i pushed that button only to be re directed to names again..I scrollled down names again and punched the number..It then asked to call and I punched again...It then called....After the conversation I hung up and the radio didn`t play....I thought I had my first problem---but no--I was parked under an overpass and the signal was blocked...Nice relief...Just to show it takes me a long time to get familiar with the phone part...The voice doesn`t work for me as it can`t understand what I say...I`l keep working on that part, and bet Audi will throw in voice pretty soon so Mark will be happy Tony
    Has everyone lost interest in the cars? I haven`t and today found out the auto recirculation when in auto will only recirculate for fifteen seconds if it senses it needs to..Otherwise I guess we have to push the button manualy..Tony
    Haven't lost interest in my A8, in fact far from it. I'm still finding things and saying "that's what the button is for?" I just returned last night from the North's Sin City, Atlantic City. Got a few complements on the car, as usual. Every person always tells me it's good not to see the usual LS/S/7. And that's why I purchased the car.

I'm putting my "summer tires" back on this week as the snow tires are becoming noisy, which is the case when no snow is around. The car has really loosened up and the throttle jerkiness is gone. The brakes are less touchy, and the engine is only a muted burble now. My wife just discovered that we had a fridge in the back seat of the car. SO now it's a booze hide-a-way(lol).

P.S.- We sold the CLS on our on and got $90k for it. We only lost $11k on it, so I'm satisfied. How's the front bumper holding up?
    You have been a wizzard both buying and selling your cars..I hope it continues as maybe we both will come out if that happens....As for the ice box, it would be a fine spot to ditch a drink, and in this time and place one would have to be very quick...Thank goodness when I was young, they didn`t have the strict rules that are in effect now...I do believe just one beer would get you in trouble

For the firt time in many years I also got complemented on the car..I was so surprised, that it turned out be be a `conversation`. I didn`t want the gentleman to think I was rude and just drive off. Further I have had no more injuries to the car, and the shop who fixed the bumper did a really fine job, so now it`s just a fading memory...The reason i found out about the air recirculation only lasting 15 secods as I was searching to find out how to keep the interior warm while I went in the grocery store...Just punch the on/off switch after turning the car off...Sort of hold the button down for a second or two...Tony ps where is emass?
  • emaussemauss Member Posts: 151
    I'm still here...just lurking! So far I have about 2200 miles on my car, and it only gets better each day.

The wife of my friend with the CLS55 and the Phaeton has a 2004 A8L and I was in it the other day. There were not too many noticeable diferences, although I understand there were a lot of problems with that year.

I think Audi will lose her when the new Lexus comes out.

...(e)
This discussion has been closed.