Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• saturnboysaturnboy Member Posts: 89
    Hello all, I currently drive a 1998 Saturn SL which has been a wonderfull car and I am considering buying another one , but I noticed that the 1999 Grand AM's start around 16,595 which seems very good for a car with auto, ac, pwr locks, etc. It may be a while before I buy but I was wondering does anyone know if there will be much of a price increase over the next year or so? Also, any comments from people that bought a SE model would be appreciated.
  • szerfasszerfas Member Posts: 53
    I would doubt there is going to be much of a price increase since there was price increase when they did the redesign. Cannot say for sure and I have not heard anything on it.

I have an SE1. I chose that one based on the fact that it was the cheapest model that I could get with the 6 cyl. I have various comments on it in some of the posts above. If you get the 4 cyl. be warned that it is buzzy engine during moderate to hard acceleration.
  • alspiveyalspivey Member Posts: 1
    Wanted to know overall thoughts about the '99 SE2 Grand Am. Is this a dependable car? Will there be a lot of maintenance on this vehicle?
    The one thing that disapoints me about the 99 Grand Am is that with the four cylinder it only gets 22 mpg in the city. Maybe Im spoiled cause my Saturn gets near 30 mpg in the city, but I know the Grand Am is around 7-800 pounds more then my car and it has more horsepower, 50 more to be exact. I would need it to last through maybe 4 years of rough college driving, my friends have Grand Ams, one is a 1992 with around 100k and the other is a 1994 with around 100k, they have had some problems but most around a hundred thousand miles, how are they up until 100k ? I really don't want to spend more then 16k on one, is it easy to find the base models around with no add on's ? Also, as alspivey mentioned, how are the projected maintenance costs for this car- I mean only scheduled maintenance? does anyone know how much an extended warranty would run?
  • ohiogoodguysohiogoodguys Member Posts: 19
    I myself own a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2 door. I have loved this car and have had few problems with it. In 2 years I have almost 35k miles on it and at a recent oil change I asked about an extended warranty. for an extra 48mts and 48,000 miles it was 1200. These should last well beyond 100k because they dont have the old quad 4 motor. I dont know about you but I would rather have a loaded up grand am 1 or 2 years old than a new base one. also the 96-98 interrior styling I like better. Plus if you go with a used one the depretion will not be as great.Also consider a 1997+ grand prix. In fact to consider Grand Prix prices there is a 1997 with 40k for 14,000 GT model 4 door. MAINTAINCE COSTS FOR MY GRAND AM basically oil changes, front brakes at 34,000(my uncle is a GM mechanic and its common for the grand am. and in about 5k will need a set of 4 tires. Any ?'s you can e-mail me GRANDAMFAN@AOL.COM

thanks

jack
  • sbs2sbs2 Member Posts: 2
    The Grand Am is horrible for short people. I am constantly craning my neck in order to see when I'm backing up and I'm 5'5". I would not rely on the mirrors to see.
  • sbs2sbs2 Member Posts: 2
    My 99 Grand Am Se has lots of rattles and squeeks.
    The interior lining of the door is coming off and has to be replaced. I've been having lots of trouble with the steering column and the connections to the stabilizers. Has anyone had similar problems?
  • karnkarn Member Posts: 8
    sbs2

i also have been having a problem with the door interior lining coming away from a rear door, right where it connects to the window. and oddly, enough my steering wheel has been feeling kinda loose. it seems when i drive at speeds slower than 50-ish my steering wheel is sloping to one side or the other. when going over 50 my steering wheel looks perfectly straight and a couple of times it felt really loose on stops. almost like the steering wheel itself was loose compared to the actual handling of the car. with the difference in speeds i was wondering about the variable control steering being the cause.

karn.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I noticed a Grand Am GT at a dealer with the interior door lining ripped away from the door. I immediately left the dealer and sought out a vehicle at another dealer. Picked up my GT yesterday. Bright Red!! I really like this car, the looks and the ride. It's not perfect but I can see owning this car for a long time if it holds up. I'll keep posting as I go
    karn:

That could be the effects of the variable effort steering. I have the variable effort in mine and it is pretty tight on the highway and deffinetly looser around town. The steering wheel seems to be pretty well aligned with where the tires are pointing. It is fairly sensitive to if there is any arc to the roadway.

Still no sqeaks and/or rattles. I hope it stays that way. It has taken my Buick over 135,000 miles to develop what might be called a tick not even really a rattle.

Stephen
  • aam1aam1 Member Posts: 26
    Hi Guys:

First, thank you all for your help. I just myself a Grand Am GT Sedan today. Originally I was going to get a SE1 but when I saw the GT, well, the rest is history. I do need help in one more area. The dealer is asking me to buy extended warranty on the car for $995 for 6yrs/60K miles. Is it a good idea getting extended warranty on this car. I have financed the car for 5yrs. Also, he is asking me to get a passive alarm on the car. As far as I know, the car already has a theft deterent alarm factory installed. I was told that the factory alarm only protects the steering column. Is that true? Please help as I need to get back to the dealer on Monday.

Thanks once more for your help. Edmunds, thanks for all the price info. It was a great help.
    aam1, if you really think you will be keeping this grand am for 6 years I would definitly buy the extended warranty, their is nothing more annoying then having to fix a car you aren't done paying for yet. $995 sounds like a bargin for 6 years of peace of mind to me. See if you can up the mileage part thou, Saturn offers 6years/75k protection for the same price. Good luck
  • jwheatjwheat Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 99 grand am two weeks ago. It is great so far. I have notices the molding around the gear shift moving some too. (this was mentioned in earlier) Should I be alarmed?
    I would appreciate any response?
    jwheat:

I was the one that had posted about the molding around the gear shifter moving. As much as I hate to say it I am thinking that it might be a design flaw. I have not done anything about mine yet. I was going to wait and see if I saw anything go wrong with my car or maybe closer to the end of the warranty to do something about it. My main concern is that it will become looser with time or even squeak. It just does not give me good strong feeling about the console, and that bothers me the most. Please post if you notice anything new with the molding.
    My 1999 Grand Am GT actually makes it FUN to drive instead of a chore as with some previous cars I've owned. Sometimes I get in the car late at night and just go for a spin. The only thing I must say seems cheesy in the car are the sun visors. It looks like Pontiac spent $1.99 on each. They are very small, don't block much sun, and the clip they attach to looks like it will break within a few weeks. What's the deal with that? Oh well - you can't have everything I guess.

Otherwise I am loving the car and have been getting rave reviews from everyone I have shown the car to. The universal response so far has been "This is a Grand Am?"
    I am not going to do anything about the molding problem either, unless it begins to squeak, or becomes annoying.

I am loving my car though. I agree it does make it fun to drive!

I have noticed that it doesn't get very good gas mileage. I have been filling up a lot. Any other complaints about this...or am I just driving too much?!??!
    I know what you mean about just going for a drive. I have done that some and plan to do it more. I will put in some music and just go riding around. I had fun this last weekend when I found some raised manholes. The GrandAm really made it fun to go around and in between them. I would use my GrandAm more but I have to finish selling my old car (insurance had misquoted me and screwed up the original sale of it.)

I really love the 6 in the GrandAm. I find myself driving faster on the highway just because it goes so easily.

I have been very happy with my gas mileage. I have gotten between 25 and 30 miles to gallon. I average usually 26 to 27. I have been trying not to rocket away from every stop sign but I do drive it pretty fast on the highway.

Good to hear some feedback from others.
    Szerfas - does your car have many miles on it yet? My second tank of gas only got me 21 miles/gallon, but I heard that it improves when the car has been broken in a while.

At first when you mentioned raised manholes I cringed thinking you were flying over them. Playing slalom around them is much safer (unless you are crossing the double yellow line.

Also, has anybody noticed that you really have to shut the doors hard or they won't shut completely? I was used to another car where you shut the doors real slowly so this was a change for me.
  • dragonclawdragonclaw Member Posts: 6
    On a recent trip I drove about 1700 kms ( 1020 miles both highway and city) I got an average of 24 m/g. My 99 Grand Am GT has 3000 miles on it now (5000 kms). Not bad but not the best. However I do have a heavy foot and am not afraid to use it.

I don't seem to have any trouble closing the doors.
  • meatmanmeatman Member Posts: 1
    great car now have 25,000 miles on my 99 grand am had a off centered rim and out of line rotor other than that its been great i also have a 91 and it has 120,000 miles on all i have done to it is change the alternater other than the basics now iam thinking about getting another grand am
    Hey midlifecrisis,

My GrandAm has about 2000 miles on it and quite a few tanks of gas. I think on its first tank it got around 24 mpg. I had been driving it pretty easy until it got its first oil change. I now drive it harder, these BFGoodrich's are not going to have the longest life expectancy.

I deffinetly did not go over the man holes covers, I just went around them. I also did not cross the yellow line. Only once when I had to straddle two of them did I nick a tire. It was fun.

Doors work really well. They have not been hard to close at all. Short of closing with a very light touch they always close. My friends seem to slam my doors rather then go easy with them. The only time have seen really hard to close doors was on a Camry that my brother had for a little while, it was when the current generation had been out for only a short time.

I am still bummed at having my dealership change the oil they did just about everything wrong on it. They must have spilled some oil on the einge somewhere because I get a burning oil smell when I am idling at lights. I don't think the engine is burning since the level of oil stays the same and there is now smoke coming out the tail pipe. It really make me angry since this my first brand new car. Oh well I will do most the rest of the work myself.
    My experience in the past 4 years has been that NOBODY can change oil without spilling it everywhere. I've been to several dealers, Monro, Jiffy Lube, etc. and they all spill oil somewhere on the engine. It takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for the smell of burning oil to go away when stopped at a traffic light. This makes me so angry, but I don't have the equipment to do it myself (it is very difficult to get to the oil filter on some cars).

Does anybody else have similar experience and/or advice on how to avoid this syndrome?

Also, does anybody have an idea on how long the low-profile tires on the GT will last before replacement (during normal usage, not burning rubber)? 20K, 30K, 40K miles?
  • dunn3dunn3 Member Posts: 29
    Does anybody have bad or good comments about a '94 Grand Am with ~64K miles. I am considering buying one used that seems in great condition, but I'm not sure. Please respond. thanks guys (it has te 4 cy. engine and is a 5 speed coupe)
    Hi Guys:

Finally got my 1999 Grand Am GT last Saturday. It is a real fun car to drive. Just a couple of comments and a questions.

1. The gas consumption is pretty horrendous at this point. I got the car with 12 mile and a full tank of gas. Right now, it is 175 mile and 3/4 empty. I have not been driving the car hard at all. A mix of city and highway driving. I am putting the bad gas consumption on the 6 and city driving. Will keep all posted on how it goes in the future.

2. I was looking at the maintenance book and read that the first scheduled oil change is at 5K miles. Is that correct or should I have it looked after sooner?

3. I have also noticed that when brake is half-applied on an incline, there is a grating sound. I read in the owner's manual that it takes sometime for the brakes to adjust. Any comments?

Other than the above, eveything is awesome. The car flies and without much ado, it is in the 70s. The sound, air and all the other amenities are also working OK. I did notice though that the GT is slightly lower than the SE sedans and if the steering wheel is tilted down, getting in and out can be slightly difficult. Anyways, that is it for the moment. Will keep y'all posted. Happy and safe driving everyone.
    Hey aam1,

That is deffinetly not good gas mileage. I will be curious to hear what you get out of future tanks.

I got my first oil change at right around 1500 miles. I had mine done early since the engine is in break-in. I have heard some say with modern manufacturing that it is no longer necessary to worry about the early oil change. My thoughts are cheap insurance on an expensive piece of equipment. I just wish I did it myself instead of the dealership is all.

I haven't heard the break grind noise on an incline. I will listen harder. Being around 2000 miles I would guess my brake brake-in period is done.

Enjoy your new wheels.
    Stephen
    Stephen:

Thanks for your message. Will keep everyone posted on the gas mileage in the future. I did call up my dealer this morning to tell him about the brake noise. I was told that it is the roaders and they need to be broken in. Will see how that goes.

One thing that I did read in your posts, was about poor oil change by your dealer. Why did that happen? I assume that all an oil change would require is opening the engine oil container and putting a new bottle in it. Am I missing anything here?

Catch ya later!!!!!!
    I got 21 mpg on my first tank and 23 mpg on the second tank. This is with about 1/3 city and 2/3 highway driving. I think it will continue to improve.

Mechanics spill oil when they are not careful removing the old oil filter. I drips onto engine parts and begins to smell when the engine heats up. Some oil filters are in a difficult position to access and thus the spills.

Haven't noticed any brake noise except in the morning after a rain. I goes away after a few miles. I do notice that you realy have to get on the brakes to stop hard, something I was not used to in my previous car.

Also, the GT is slightly lower because of the low-profile tires. It really adds to the sporty look. But it does make it a little harder to get in and out.
  • highbeamshighbeams Member Posts: 3
    I'm serious about a 99 grand am se2 former rental, that's loaded and a good price. I've been warned these cars don't do well in snow. With good tires and a litle weight in the back I wonder why it wouldn't handle as well as anything else. any input or experiences? I'm putting in an offer this afternoon.
    I have not had my Grand Am in the snow yet, but I've never heard that the car has problems in snow. Front wheel drive works wonders and with traction control standard there shouldn't be too many problems.
    thanks midlife, I'm really excited. I've used alot of everyone's experiences here in my dealing and Edmund's really helped me do my homework. Actually impressed my husband with my knowledge of certain cars I've been researching here. He was open-jawed. Keep you posted
  • dparksdparks Member Posts: 1
    Got my 99 Grand Am in August 1998. So far, I have 32,500 miles on it (I use it for business). A friend of mine also got hers about a month before and puts just as many miles on it as I do. Just a few notes on long-term use:

1. My battery died at about 10,000 miles and I had to use Roadside to tow it to the dealer, who kept it overnight to put in a new battery.

2. Two of four doors have had the lifting of the interior covering, which I have had replaced. This may be because I'm in the deep southeast U.S. and interior heat is rought on it.

3. At 29,200 miles, while driving down the highway, my transmission went out, leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere. Roadside tried to get me a tow, but after 2 1/2 hours of waiting, I got my own in 5 minutes. GM did pay for the tow. After begging my dealer for a loaner car, I spent the next 11 days in a rental while the dealer rebuilt the entire transmission. It had no third or fourth gears at all, and parts were ordered three times to get it all right (I hope).

My friend with the Grand Am has also had all these problems, only her transmission went out at 37,000 miles, just outside of warranty, and she had to fork over a HUGE check to fix hers. Guess I was "lucky" mine was still under warranty.

Although this car is fun to drive, I'm dumping it ASAP because of this major problem. Longevity doesn't seem to be its strong suit.

GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!!

Anyone else have these problems? Got any suggestions? Thanks!!
    Sorry to hear you had so much trouble. I ended up buying the care yesterday. Because it's a former rental and already has 25k on it I got a very good deal and had the car completely looked over buy my mechanic. Still have 11k under warranty and can decide within that time whether to buy and extended or not. Haven't heard to many bad things locally but like anything else, if it's humanly made and not devine, it's a crap shoot to some degree.
    This is the first I have heard of so many things going wrong with the Grand Am. I guess there aren't that many 1999 cars with 37K mileage already, so the good things I hear are for low-mile cars. I too will consider getting an extended warranty before the 36K is up.

Is there any chance that some of the problems could be related to a car that was built during the GM strike period? Maybe some parts were installed improperly? Probably not, but I have to give myself hope since I want my Grand Am GT to last a very long time. The last few American cars I've had have been real losers and this may be my last try with a GM (or American) car.
  • susan222susan222 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 99 Grand am se1 and find visability out the rear view mirror is not good due to the spoiler on the trunk. I find I must rely on my side view mirrors or raise the drivers seat to see better. I only have the car 2 months and don't due that much driving, so its taking me longer to adjust.
    I can only see the very top of the spoiler in my rear view mirror, even with the seat all the way down. Of course I am 6 feet tall so that probably makes a difference. For all those who say the rear view mirror blocks your front view:

The mirror is attached to the windshield by an adjustable shaft about 1" in length. Push your mirror all the way to the top (as far as the shaft will rotate) and then adjust the mirror itself. This will raise the mirror and give you more visibility.

Anybody else have 20K-30K mileage on their Grand Am and would like to talk about the reliability of the vehicle?
    susan222:

To help compensate for the spoiler you might also want to try and raise the arm of the rear view mirror like midlife crisis described. With mirror sitting up higher it should be a little better angle over the spoiler. You can redirect the mirror so you can still see it even with the mirror arm raised. I have noticed a little cutoff with mine but nothing really serious. One nice thing is that it blocks some of the bright light of cars waiting at a traffic light behind you. I think that visibility problem with spoilers has plagued quite a few cars. Good Luck.
  • moebilmoebil Member Posts: 1
    I have 1994 pontiac grand am se with 75,000 miles.
    The service engine soon light keeps coming on. It only comes on when I drive on the highway. I had it to the mechanic many times and he said everytime he puts on the computer he gets something different. Could it be the oxogen sensor? If anybody has had this problem please let me know what you did to repair it.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    I had the Service Engine soon light come on in my 99 Silverado. Right away the service guys figured out it was a bad O2 sensor. No problems since.

I change the oil last night on our 99 Grand Am SE1. You have to remove a plastic covering on the bottom front of the engine with a couple of wing nuts to get to the filter, but its pretty easy. The only complaint that I had was that with the filter being mounted on an angle, some oil was bound to spill on the engine. Not much, though. Just make sure you drain the oil at the plug before you remove the filter.
    Thanks for the advice on the oil change mdw1000. I have looked quickly at how I was going to change mine. I did not even notice any wing nuts but I did not look too closely. I will take another look. Prior to seeing your message I was thinking of trying just pulling the filter out from behind the shield. That angle you talk about must be just the thing that the garage did when they changed my oil and hence the burning smell I have had since then. My first time changing it probably about 2 months away.

Thanks again.
    Stephen
  • wacoshadewacoshade Member Posts: 1
    Just interested to note what kind of long term problems the Grand Am gives people. I am generally satisified with my '91 with 114,000 miles on it. My long term problems:

Biggest: ALTERNATOR!! I don't know what it is about this car, but that blasted alternator has been replaced 6 times. My last two were new ones, and not rebuilt, and the most recent one has lasted 3 years.. So yea for that. Maybe becuase the alternator is right there on the top of the engine so it heats up real easily???

Transmission. Went out around 50,000 and again at over 100,000. Not huge, but not cheap.

Air Conditioner: The blower motors, even new ones, always wear out or die. Don't know that this is typical of the make/model or not though.

Muffler: Thanks goodness for Midas lifetime warranties. Already used that TWICE.

Dealer paint job sucks. Just peeled really nastily after about 6 years.

BUT, the good points:

Just now replaced the starter for the first time ever. Easily done and not expensive.

Engine as maintained, runs well and has another 4-5 years life to it MINIMUM. It sounds very good.

The repairs haven't been all that much, considering the car is almost 9 years old. Replaced the alternator a few times, the transmission, the heater core once (in the past 10,000 miles), the air conditioner blower 3 times, no timing belt to worry about, brake cables only once so far. The car will drive probably a long time, without needing a major motor job. So, aside from the occasional alternator and a/c problem, repairs haven't been too bad. A lot more than is relevant, but just thought I'd add a comment for the heck of it.

Not that I'd recommed the Grand Am, but it seems like there are plenty of people who like later models, so there ya go.
  • bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    I just orderd a 2000 GA GT 4 door, they said it will probably be in sometime in late October. By the comments I have read, most people love their cars. I orderd it with leather, CD sunroof, invoice price including shipping, 20032,( sticker price, 21970) no rebates right now I paid 20132, wondering if there were any hidden rebates, or if they were going to extend the current ones.
  • raybodraraybodra Member Posts: 3
    Have a '99 SE2 w/10k miles. After a heavy rain (quite often in Pensacola Fl) there is a large amount of water under the front passenger seat. I can not determine where this water is leaking in from. Also have the problem of the door trim pulling way from the door frame near the window (only on the rear passenger side behind the driver). I have an appointment tomorrow to fix the trim and hopefully the water problem. Other than that, the car runs great and is fun to drive.
    Hi guys! Thanks for all the great advise. I just wanted to comment on the whole gas milage thing. I have not noticed an improvement. I am still getting only about 22 miles per gallon. I drive a lot so this is proving to be a problem. Also I have 2500 miles on the car and have not had the oil changed yet. Is this a problem, my dealer told me 4,000 miles. Any comment? Thanks
  • susan222susan222 Member Posts: 6
    Just wanted to thank you and midlifecrisis for your advice on pushing up the shaft of the rear view mirror, I didn't realize it moved. It seems to have helped. Thanks again.
    I just got a fillup in my 99 GT last night. This is about my 5th tank (1300 miles so far). I got 24 mpg in mixed driving (1/3 city, 2/3 highway). I think that is somewhat respectable considering the size of the engine and the power of the vehicle. I expect the mpg to go up slightly but probably not much higher.

Over the weekend I performed my first car wash (in NJ we are on water restictions due to the drought). I was told to wash the car with a sheepskin mitt instead of a sponge so as not to scratch the paint. When I was done, the bright red paint almost hurt my eyes it was so brilliant. This car is definitely a head-turner. It is however hard to keep the wheels clean due to the brake dust and dirt that accumulates on the five-spokes. Oh well, guess I'll have to wash it more often. I better get a new pair of sunglasses so I don't damage my eyes looking at the bright red paint. See ya.
  • amountamount Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Just wanted to say that this Town Hall is a great thing. Its very helpful reading about other people's experiences with their cars.

I have a 1996 Grand Am SE with about 78,000 miles on it, and I'm debating about trading in before it hits 80,000 miles (at which point I'm told makes the value drop considerably), or keep it for another year or more. I've had the car for just a little over 3 years, so I obviously put a ton of miles on it. I haven't had any major problems, and for the most part, I'm very happy with it. I had to get new rotors/brake pads around 22,000 miles, and also replace them around 60,000 miles. They're starting to get a little soft again. I've also needed new tires, of course, and will probably have to replace them again within the next few months.

Back in the spring, the "Low Coolant" light would come on every few weeks. In the owner's manual, it says to pull off the road immediately and not to drive the car. The coolant was obviously leaking somewhere, but it wasn't going on the ground. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find the leak, but said if it continued to happen, to come back again. (At that point I also had to have the air conditioner re-charged and they replaced the fuel filter.) I wound up buying a couple of gallons of the orange Dex-Cool coolant the car takes and filled it up with a 50/50 mixture of that and water (which is what the manual calls for) on a fairly regular basis. Luckily the light always seemed to come on when I was close to home, and I kept the jug of coolant and some water in my trunk just in case. I was really getting annoyed at having to check the coolant level every other day, so I made an appointment to take it back to the dealer. (My air conditioner that was supposedly "re-charged" was also not working well at all - I would drive the half-hour home from work and it wouldn't cool down at all.)

Well, the evening before I was due to take my car back to the dealer for them to check the coolant leak and A/C, I was stopped at a stop sign about 2 blocks from my house. When I hit the gas to go, the car was VERY sluggish and would barely move. I made it home. The following morning, I figured I'd try to make it to the dealer (about 15-20 miles away), but only got a mile before I had to turn around and go back. Same problem as the evening before - no pick-up. So I wound up having the car towed to the dealer. I was thinking, "Great! A new transmission!" and figured I'd have to shell out some big bucks. Well, the dealer had my car for almost a week, and by some stroke of luck, I didn't need a new transmission - they flushed out the old transmission fluid and put in new and it seems to be running fine (knock on wood!). (This was the first time I had the fluid replaced.) They did however, have to take half of the engine apart to get to the coolant leak, and they also said that there was a hole in one of the tubes for the A/C. (They didn't charge me labor to fix the A/C, because they didn't find the problem the first time.) The total bill wound up being about $420. So now I'm wondering - (1) Do I keep the car for another year or two until it dies (and figure I'll have to throw some more money into it)?, or (2) Do I just get rid of it now before something major happens? I'm really kind of stuck and can't seem to make a decision. Any comments/suggestions would be a great help.

Sorry that this is so long, but I figured I'd tell some of the newer Grand Am owners some of my experiences with the car. Thanks!
    I guess your decision should be based partially on what kind of money you still owe on the car (if any). If you owe more than your trade value is worth it might make sense to keep the vehicle until you can pay it off. Otherwise you will have negative cash flow with a new car purchase.

Personally I would trade the car in on a new Grand Am (or other car) if you can do so financially. It's a good time of year to be purchasing a car, especially with incentives and rebates at the end of the 1999 model year. You may have just been lucky with the $420 repair bill with more expensive repairs lurking around the corner, but you never know for sure.

I have bought used cars twice in the last 10 or so years and been burned big time both times (lemon cars). So personally I don't trust cars with higher mileage, even if I was the one who maintained them. I put about 20K miles a year on my car and then trade it in every 3 years or so, depending on how well they hold up. I can't imagine ever having over 100,000 miles on a car because the repair costs always seem to exceed the car payments. Car payments can be expected and budgeted for, large repair bills cannot. One transmission job can cost close to $2000, and then you are likely stuck with an inferior rebuilt transmission.

This is just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. I'm sure most others will wholeheartily disagree with my methods.
  • afmedic322afmedic322 Member Posts: 1
    Matty,

I have a 97 Grand Am GT that is great. It rides smooth as can be at high speeds. Just to let you know the 97 I have is difinitely limited at 105mph.
  • smtssmts Member Posts: 1
    I have a 6 month old Grand Am GT. I have had it back to the dealer 3 times for water leaking in the passenger door. Is this a common problem on the 99 models. I am really upset that I have owned it for that short amount of time and have had it back to the dealers so many times. Now I don;t even care to drive a pontiac (any model)
    smts:
    I have a 99 and it has been in thunder, hail and some of the worst rains I have driven in an it has not leaked a drop. It has been parked, on the highway and around during these rains and it still has not leaked a drop. They must have got the weather stripping wrong. That really is too bad. That is really a poor dealership.

Sorry to hear,
    Stephen