Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I can say so far that the brake problem is indeed solved if you get the updated replacement brakes, not the rotors turned.

Since day one the brakes never inspired "confidence" on my 99 GA V6. And at about 10k miles I started to get the front-end vibration when braking (rotors warped due to over-heating).

At around the 22.5k oil change I finally put my foot down and did some research. Sure enough, the TSBs (there are 2 related ones) on the brakes hint that the original brakes that came with the car are under-designed for the weight/class of vehicle. I made a fuss at the dealer and got a new set of brakes/rotors, but with a different design.

The result almost 10k miles later is that stopping is more confident and predictable. No more braking vibrations.

Since your car is out of original warranty, I'd recommend a good set of after-market slotted brakes. You can find suggestions at http://www.partsforyourcar.com/

Hope this helps,

TC

• the_art_guythe_art_guy Member Posts: 61
    I have a 00 Grand Am, that now has 36,600 miles, and have recently been hearing a clunking noise coming from what sounds like the rear brake area on the right side of the vehicle. I only hear the noise when I step on the brakes and even then the noise isn't there all the time, it seems to do it more when the car is warm.

I first started hearing this noise about 1 month ago and took it in to my service dept. and they said they told me they couldn't find anything wrong. I waited and at the next oil change I took it back and told them to check the noise again. When I picked up my car they told me that they tightened the rear sub-frame bolt and some other bolt.

I was happy and it seemed that the noise was gone; however, in the past two weeks the noise has returned. I am worried that perhaps they did not fix the right thing. Does anyone know what this might be, or has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Does your brake pedal travel a long way when applying the brakes?
    burdawg,

No, my brake pedal does not travel a long way when I apply the brake. There is no change in brake pedal travel distance when I hear the noise and when I don't. Although if step on the brakes hard, then the noise goes away, it's just there when I brake with normal pressure.

Driving in to work this morning I didn't seem to hear any noise at all? Could this be something with the right rear brake? Why would it only accur when the car is warm?

BTW...my serviceman did check the brakes themselves and found nothing wrong. I am worried, the past few days we have had 90+ degree weather and it has made a lot of noise.
  • photodoctorphotodoctor Member Posts: 17
    Since my last post (#1089) I took my 2001 GT to my local mechanic. He does my scheduled services.(This guy is not only top notch but is honest and reasonably priced. A rare bird these days!). He feels it's a problem with the front left strut confirming my original thought. So it's off to another Pontiac dealer for the warranty work to be done. Will keep you posted on the results.

Just a PS on my first encounter with the dealer near where I work.......
    Not only were they less than helpful in dealing with the clunk, they did a service on my car which I didn't ask for. (It was recently done at my mechanic's). So naturally I refused to pay stating that I did not authorize such a service. I didn't get an argument. However when I later checked to see if indeed they changed the oil I discovered that they put in one too many quarts. So I had my mechanic let out the extra quart. The moral to all this is, not all Pontiac dealers are created equal.

Russ ("Photodoctor")
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    I rented a 2000 Grand AM SE with 55,000 km (34000 miles) on it and drove 6.5 hrs down to my brother's place on all interstate, took a day trip with my wife while down there (two lane highway and paved backroads) and then popped back home via interstate.

Altogether, I have to say this was a very nice car. The steering was tight, there were not rattles, it dealt with potholes and tarstrips well, handled well and road and wind noise were reasonable. There was noticeably more road noise on potholed and patched pavement but still pretty decent.

The highway mileage was really quite impressive with a car with so much power on demand - 35mpg with A/C on and cruising at 65-70mph.

The only caveats I have are the limited visibility from the high door sills, thick B-pillar and low angled rear window. The IIHS offset crash test is rather poor, but the only accident I've seen where that would apply involved an SUV and an Accord - and two passengers in the SUV (rollover) and the driver of the Accord died. So I'm not sure how to rate that particular crash test. These situations occur, but at what frequency really? Insurance claim stats show the Grand Am to be "average".

We'll be going to a dealership that has used 2000 Malibu, Alero and Grand Am tommorrow so we may be joining the Grand Am club.
    I discovered yesterday that the rear passenger floor area and under the front seat, both on the right side, was soaked with water. I only discovered this because I went to reach for my local area map, which I keep on the floor in the back, and it was soaking wet. I felt along the floor and it surely was wet.

There was a hard rain where I live this past weekend, so maybe it was from that. I don't know where it is coming from , the trunk was dry though so I don't think it was leaking through there. Maybe I just didn't have the rear window up all the way, because I put it down a lot when I use the windows.

It's rained hard before and there has never been a leak before. If there is a problem, what needs to be replaced? What should I tell the repair shop to check?
    Try these TSBs:

00-08-57-001 MAR 00 Front Carpet Wet (Replace Water Deflector)

83-11-15 OCT 98 Waterleak at Front Passenger Floor

Hope this helps,
    TC
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I have a service appointment next Tuesday to take care of the screeching driver's side window, and the door fabric pulling away at the base of the windows, and the dash material pulling away at the base of the windshield. Let's see if they can get all this stuff fixed right this time.
    Hey Doug, sounds like you let your dog loose in the car ! How is all that stuff coming apart?
    I'm trying to get my front end clunk fixed. Hopefully, I'll be taking my car next week as well. What dealer do you go to?
  • sweet16sweet16 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into purchasing a Grand Am. I am a New Grad and this will be my first New car. I have been researching prices and options like crazy. I have yet to test drive/go to a dealer. Can someone let me know if they are happy with their Grand AM? Or if I should check out some other cars?? Thanks. - SG
    photodoctor - I wish I had a dog and that was the problem! I'll be taking it to Arrow Pontiac for the warranty fixes.

Sweet16 - In general, this is the best car I've ever own. For the money, the GT model I got is a great value. The only problems I've had are related to typical GM quality issues - interior parts and brakes. But even those haven't been that often or serious.

The GT is a rocket and I get compliments everywhere I go. My car is bright red, and people keep asking how I keep it so clean, even if I haven't washed it in over a month! So far I've got 33,000 miles and all the mechanics of the car are working perfect. I average 24-25 mpg in mixed driving. In summary, I am very pleased with my purchase. And my neighbor's 16-year old daughter wants my car!
    sweet16. Let me add my 2 cents. I concur with midlifecrisis, the Grand Ams are a good value, plus they're fun to drive. I also have the GT in red with the chrome wheels. It's a real "looker". I happen to like their distinct looks, but of course styling is a matter of taste. Apparently many agree because the GAs are a big seller for GM. Have you considered leasing? It's not for everyone but it could save you on the monthly payments, especially if you wait for Pontiac to offer a nice leasing incentive.

Good luck and let us know what you decide !
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Buying a Grand AM? Geez, just look at the posts on this board, they're all mechanical problems. You can buy a 2 litre sentra for the same or a less money that will offer the same performance as the Grand AM and doesn't look nearly as silly ( the thing looks like something a ninth grader would draw during study hall, I laugh every time I see one). The new Sentras coming out this fall will have 6 speed gearboxs and will do 0 to 60 about a full second quicker than a Grand AM.
    Plus, a [non-permissible content removed] car will last forever with little or no problems.
    Nice touch corkfish - give Sweet 16 your opinion that the car looks like something a ninth grader drew.

Oh by the way - I bought a new Sentra once. Got rid of it because it had a lot of mechanical problems. And it looked like something only a seventh grader could fit in.
    sweet16 - I think the majority of Grand Am owners are quite satisfied with their cars, whether they have SEs or the GTs that midlifecrisis and I own.
    Those of us on the above website just recently rated our GAs on a scale of 1 to 10. 80% of the respondents gave their cars an 8, which I did. I figure that 10 is the perfect car which hasn't been built yet, so a rating of 8 out of 9 is pretty good I'd say. Plus, new car bugs are not the sole property of GM. All car companies have their problems, including the Japanese. That's what warranties are for.
    My advice: go test drive as many as you can and then decide and see who will give you the best deal.

Midlifecrisis - I think we should get together and start a Red GT club, here in NJ !!!
    Make that rating as follows.... 77% rated their GAs an 8 or better. 18% gave their cars a 10!!!
    40% gave theirs an 8.
    I got my GA back from the dealer yesterday. They fixed the inside door material and replaced a faulty window regulator. They also order new dashboard material to be installed. I was so happy to get the car back. Even after one day, I need the car to enjoy driving again!
    Where is your deaker located in NJ? Thanks.
    Arrow Pontiac is located in Mount Holly, Burlington County. I would recommend them to anyone with the service I've been getting. They've even fixed a couple things that I didn't ask them to fix!

We'll see how things go when the car's warranty runs out in a couple months.
  • jdexter23jdexter23 Member Posts: 94
    Has anyone had exceptional service in the Central Massachusetts area? I need to find somewhere better than I am going at the moment. Thanks.
    Since we're talking about service...does anyone live in the Northern Virgnia area who can recommend a good service shop?

I have been taking mine to the Farrish Pontiac dealer in Fairfax. They are pretty good, they fixed all the warranty problems I had without any issue. They replaced my rotors when I had brake vibrations, and I didn't even tell them to! I also got them to paint the side mirrors silver, to match the body color of my 00 SE. My black mirror casings were fading and I told them I was aware of a service bulletin out on them. One of the service techs didn't want to do it, but then I talked to the service manager and he took care of it.
  • rose_budrose_bud Member Posts: 15
    Well, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the Grand Am GT. I've read through the posts here and from what I've read, it looks like even though there may be some problems here and there, most folks LOVE their Grand Am and are pleased they bought it.

I currently have a 1991 Ford Convertible LX Mustang. Before anyone says anything about Ford, I must tell you that this car has been fantastic. I haven't had any major problems with it and it's still soooooo much fun to drive. I love it, I love it, I love it. But, it's got a bunch of miles on it (146K) and as my daily roundtrip commute is around 70 miles, I thought it was time to get something new.

I looked at the Camry Solara before I decided on the GA. The Camry is a beautiful car and looks like it's made solidly. But, I just don't want to spend that much money! And the Toyota dealers I went to didn't make me feel comfortable.

I am looking for a fully loaded car and I will be getting a VERY loaded Grand Am for about $6000 LESS than a Camry Solara. If I include the interest that I'll be saving on my car loan my savings are even higher.

I test drove the SE and the GT Grand AMs and I fell in love with the GT. It handles great and it's an extremely comfortable ride. Plus it looks hot. I'd love to get RED like 'midlifecrises' but I don't want to attract that much attention on the road (I'm shy) so I think it'll be silver for me.

I'm a little concerned about having problems with the car, but since I'm saving so much (over the Camry Solara) I can afford to get an extended warranty if I feel I need to.

I would love to read more about how the car behaves itself after 50K miles as I'd like my new car to last well over 100K. Anyone out there have more than 50K on their GA?

By the way, I love to read what WHACKO says. WHACKO is so funny! What a riot...
  • trentw1trentw1 Member Posts: 2
    Rose_bud --
    Consider how much time you are willing to spend sitting at the dealer's waiting for warranty work.

Our 99 Grand Am has hit 40k miles and is in need of it's second set of front brake discs. In all, we had it back to the dealer for:
    Key cylinder replacement @6k (the car thought the key was still in when it wasn't, couldn't lock doors w/ power button - still a neat feature)
    Weather strip replacement @3k (it fell off at the bottom of the driver's door - just a little glue needed)
    Battery replacement @5k (left my wife stranded in a shopping center parking lot, no lights left on or anything - guess some batteries just aren't made as well as others)
    Front disc replacement @14k (see numerous other messages for description of GM brakes)
    Electrical problems @20k (started car, windshield wipers came on and washer pump started pumping all fluid out on its own - now that was fun to watch)
    Front head lamp replacement @28k (is not a owner maintenance item - owner's manual instructions were for some other car, definitely not the 99 - maybe it's easier on the newer models)

and a few other minor problems. Overall, its a nice little car w/ the V6, but my wife & I constantly recall how much we really wanted a Camry. When we get our '02 Oddessy, the Grand Am will become our 'backup' vehicle - expect to put less than 2,000 miles per year on it until it dies.

Seriously consider the extended warranty w/ service included.
    Trent,

You've brought up items that do indeed instill some concern and dare I say, FEAR in me.

I appreciate you taking the time to put down some of the problems you've had. This certainly isn't an easy decision for me to make...
    Well, if that worries you, then I wouldn't buy American at all. We have a 99 GA (with an extended warranty) and at 30K miles little annoying things are beginning to happen like door locks stop working, mirror housings fading, radio is intermittent, etc.

Even though this stuff is under warranty, my time is money. That greatly influenced our recent car purchase, and every one I make from now on. I don't care if someone gives a 100 year warranty, I don't have time to deal with annoying little things that shouldn't have happen to begin with.

Well, just my 2-cents, as unpopular I'm sure it will be.
    Yup, I hear ya. I would be hating life if the car was in the shop all the time, even if I didn't have to pay for it to get fixed.

I really and truly am trying to weigh the possible problems I might have with the car against all the great equipment I'll be getting for the price.

I appreciate your input.

What kind of car did you recently purchase?
    Don't get me wrong, one of the things that drew me to GA was all the "stuff" you get for the money, and if throw on top of that any discounts like the notorious GM rebates (how else they gonna sell cars?) and GM Card Bucks like I had, well it's a pretty good deal on the surface. To get a mid-size V6 sedan for under $20k is a pretty good deal.

But there is a definite difference (from my ownership experience) between say a Toyota/Nissan/Honda product and a GM/Ford/Chrysler product. The GA is full of cheap plastic and tacky looking Pontiac buttons and switches. It's amazing that there is such a thing between "nice" plastic and "cheap" plastic, but if you shopped the Solara you probably noticed the difference in the cabin quality aesthetics.

What did I get recently? Not a fair comparison, but I got a Lexus RX300 4WD w/navigation system. I wanted the ultimate in saftey, luxury and reliablity. Heck, the dealer will even come and pick the car up if it needs service. But in all fairness, it's not valid for this conversation... you almost get 2 non-GT GAs for what I paid for the Lexus ;-)

I guess what really matters is if you get a good Pontiac dealer near you. GM dealer service is very spotty, some are fantastic and some won't even give you the time of day. If you have a good dealer near you and you like the styling of the GT GA, I say go for it. At least the plastic cladding on the GT is less obnoxious than on the SE2 sedan I got. Also, notice my complaints are only on non-drivetrain stuff. The 3.4L V6 in the GAs are an old push-rod design, but they are very reliable and proven. The GA is one of the biggest selling cars in the country.

Good luck.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    I've only had the chance to rent a Grand Am (1999) on one occasion, but my wife (5' 2") and I (5' 11") both liked driving the car very much. Tight steering, taught suspension (little body roll, but not harsh over the expansion joints on the overpasses) and good, although not great visibility. Definitely a car where you have to use your (nice and large) mirrors judiciously - looking out the windows isn't enough, due to the high window sills and thick pillars.

Road and wind noise on the highway are pretty good. The seats were quite good, but we did feel a bit stiff after 6.5hrs with only one break. Not too bad though. Interestingly enough, the driver's side power window had the same "squeal" somebody else complained of. Driving mostly on cruise control at 70mph with the A/C on, we got 35mpg U.S..

The interior and exterior styling are a matter of personal taste - I like something that isn't trying so hard to get your visual attention, I guess.

I asked the car rental shop's owner how the car had been, and he said he has several Grand Am's and they've all been very reliable. He did say "you can't be stingy on the pad replacement" though - meaning he's replacing the brake pads fairly frequently to save the discs.

In the end, however, we ended up getting an Oldsmobile Alero - which is built on the same N-body platform as the Grand Am. In my opinion, it has all the things I liked about the Grand Am, with none of those I didn't like. Better seats, should be comparable mileage, comparable engine power (it's the same 3.4L engine), no body cladding, the ability to turn off the interior vents one-by-one, fewer problems with interior trim and other areas, based on CAA Autopinion and Consumer Reports.

Ultimately, though, you've got to do some test drives. Several, so you get a bid "jaded" and can find the faults in a newer car right away. Personally, I have a checklist I evaluate all cars against - with all the things I'm looking for. This is the subjective and enjoyable part of cars that stats and surveys cannot convey. Car reviewers try to, but, still, that's THEIR opinion not YOURS. And it's going to be YOUR car. If I listened to Consumer Reports on all things, I'd be driving a 4cyl. Accord or Camry and be bored as h*ll ! I sure wouldn't be going out for drives at night for no reason other than my enjoyment.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    I'll post this again, as yesterday's post appears to have gone into the bit bucket.
    Have you considered the Olds Alero? It is mechanically the same as the GA, about the same price, but has a 5Yr/60,000Mi warranty. Besides I think it looks much sharper than the GA. I assisted my daughter in the purchase of one (Alero), and she loves it.
    If you've been driving a mustang convert. and you're considering a GA, then you gotta go with the GT. I don't think you'd be happy with the SE. Let me add that Nissan is coming out with an upgraded Altima that's reported to be a hot little car. Actually, "little" is not the proper word. It's being given larger dimensions, akin to the Maxima, and much higher performance, all at a very competitive price. If I was in the market for a new car I'd check that baby out.

I agree 100% with Rick (#1131) that you can't take Consumer Reports, and other reviews, solely on their advice. (I had a 95 GA/GT which I loved but CR hated.) You have to test drive 'em, and not just around the block. Take it to the freeway too. If the dealer wants your business he'll let you give it a real run.

Lastly, the color. You gotta get the red! Hey, I'm rather conservative too but the red with the chrome tech wheels is a real "looker". As with midlifecrisis I'm getting compliments all the time on my GA.

Good Luck !
  • camryv6camryv6 Member Posts: 42
    I THINK THE PONTIAC GRANDAM IS TO PLASTICLY LIKE THE SIDES AND STUFF. AND IT HAS ALOT OF ROAD NOISE. AND EVERYTHING FELT CHEAP. SO I BOUGHT A (RELIABLE )CAMRY..I RENTED ONE FOR 3 WEEKS.
    I really appreciate the posts with all the information.

There has been a family emergency so I need to put off my research for a few weeks.

Thank you again.
    I looked at a Camry before buying a GA GT. What a yawner! I spend almost 10 hours a week in my car, so why would I want something that makes me fall asleep from boredom? Sure the car has better than average reliability, but I want a vehicle that has some kind of personality. The color-matched body side molding on the GT makes a very nice statement and is functional in preventing paint dings. The people who dislike the cladding must be in the minority because I get compliments everywhere I go.

Besides, Camry's are all my parents ever buy. Let me say that the GT is not your father's Camry!
    Thankfully my family emergency had been taken care of faster than I had hoped. Back to the research.

midlifecrisis - So, you really do still love your car? That makes a difference to me. I felt in reading your last few posts that maybe you were starting to get frustrated or disappointed with some problems your were having with it.

I have looked and I can't find anything else out there that has all the equipment for the price. Plus the other cars I've driven (Alero for one) just don't feel very sporty. The steering was too loose. Does that make sense? I'm not very car technical...

Are there more things to be careful of with a red car? Like fading? I understand that black tends to heat up the inside more than other colors. And Silver will not show dirt as quickly as other colors.

rdeschene - I'm taking your advice and am testing driving a few more cars today. Hope you all had a great weekend!
  • jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    The current generation Camry is soooo boring. There's no way you can be a car enthusiast and buy that car. I'll admit, the new (2002) Camry is much better looking and it's probably more reliable than a GA, but the GA GT is so much better looking. I've seen a lot of black one's with chrome wheels recently, and they are definitely head turners.

By the way, Camry's have problems too. A friend of mine has a '99 with the 3.0 v6. At 26,000 miles, his check engine light came on. The car was running very rough. When he took it in to the dealer, all 6 fuel injectors needed to be replaced. The dealer told him this is a very common problem on the 3.0 engines. Right after that, he bought an extended warranty.
    Glad to hear the family emergency is behind you. Now on to the fun stuff..... Shopping for a car!!!
    We just had some heavy rain here in NJ and when it let up I asked myself: do I want to put my baby to bed tonight without an evening bath? Absolutely not I said. So when the rain had stopped there I was washing and drying my red Grand Am and putting it in the garage. Would I have done that for a Camry? Nah !!!

and to the question of red paint....
    The red's today are much better at holding up against fading. Sure, It helps to keep it garaged like I do but they'll
    do just fine without that luxury.

If you decide on a GA, whatever color you get make sure you also get the chrome tech wheels. They really look super.

Russ (photodoctor)
  • lrymallrymal Member Posts: 105
    My red '99 GrandAm is still knocking on the 60 thousand mile door and going strong! Seems I have been hovering at the high 50s forever.

But the car still looks and handles new. And folks kid with me, saything that I need a RED car. It still is bright, and admittedly, I wash it once a week.

It does show some chipping on the front of the hood, where rocks and junk fly on it from vehicles ahead of me. But, I dob those with a factory-red paint stick and no one notices the damage. At about 100k, I'll probably have the car re-painted. Tempted to repaint it with a bright metallic red scheme, just to irritate all the Camry owners in this area with their golden car bodies.

I'm tempted to do a cosmetic renewal of the car at the 100k mark anyway, such as replacing the carpet, and maybe replacing the seat fabrics.

I have budgeted enough for a complete makeover, including replacing the serpentine belt, and all coolant hoses. Also servicing the auto tranny, and replacing the SE struts with GT struts.

Obviously, this car is a keeper for me and I'd like it to stay as fresh as I can make it, as it ages.
  • bill211bill211 Member Posts: 21
    Well I went out a purchased the 2001 Arctic White GT1 with leather seats and sunroof and all I can say is this is one hot car. I can see where some people dislike the SE model though and there is no comparison to the top-line model. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra few thousand. It's been a month now and have a couple of thousand miles on it. Put alot of miles on it last week on a road trip. Holy smokes, this car rocks on the open highway. You pass with ease in this car. I had a Mustang GT and the Grand Am has better road manners if you ask me. With the sun roof open and cruising at 70. all you hear is is a slight breeze. I swear this car could get more dates than me, as I get at least 2 or 3 people a week saying, "hey, nice car", or. "wow thats a sharp looking car". Anyway I recommend the GT1 to anybody wanting a full featured auto for around $20,000. No problems and the brakes are fine. I do notice how easily the rotors oxidize while washing the car, but this hasn't seemed to effect the brake system. The only caveats are a couple of times a lowered civic would pull behind me and I would not see it in the rear view mirror because I see right over their roof, could be dangerous if backing. And the other is the Silicone Dot matrix on the back glass, not allowing window tint to adhere to it. However its so high in window you dont see it in the rear view, and appears only as a slight foggy area from the outside. Also one interesting note is that after taking the car out on the road, it appears to get better gas milage. 25 in the city, 35 on the highway. I was very surprised to see this so I ran the tank near dry twice to make sure. The numbers are right unless GM is putting more than the listed 14.3 gallon tank. Also with all the sport-tuned add-ons that come with the GT1, It is very surdy and sure footed at 125 MPH as it is at 45MPH. Happy driving Grand-AM owners, I know I can't get enough.

ps. I dont recommend driving faster than the posted speed limit, but it happens some times.
    Rosebud - do I still love my GA GT? You bet! I do get a little frustrated when minor things need repair. But the dealer has been fantastic so far and fixed everything under warranty with no questions asked. And I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to my car. I notice every little noise and flaw in cars. My wife never hears any of the little noises I do, so I drive her crazy sometimes. I'm constantly brushing off the dashboard when a piece of lint appears.

This is by far the best car I've ever owned, and I hope to keep it for a long time. I've got 33K+ on it, and hope to be posting positives like lyrmal when I approach 60K!

A while back a co-worker saw me getting in my car in the parking lot. He just stared at the car with a little grin. He asked if his son could borrow my car for his senior prom. Somehow I don't think I'd get that response if I were driving a Camry or Accord.
    I'm a bit of a lead foot and I do some serious driving, about 144 miles a day. I'm averaging about 26 MPG with a mix of highway and stop-and-go highway traffic. What are others getting?

Only interested in '99+ SE V6 models, since the Ramair induction affects HP/MPG and those results are different than the normally aspirated engine.
  • petergeorgepetergeorge Member Posts: 5
    I have a quick question. I have a buddy with a 99 SE coupe, but the passenger B-pillar has some terrible paint problems. There's a big strip of bare metal where black paint should be. Has anyone else seen this problem?
  • pgagt101pgagt101 Member Posts: 7
    If you buy a 2001 before October you'll get $1500 back from Pontiac, and the dealer should match this. I got myself a GT1 about a month ago and got $3100 off of MSRP.

The dealer initially added on $1695 (!) for a three-year extended warranty, but I just laughed and told him to take it off. Later, when I was with another guy signing the papers, he told me he could do better...$995...$895...I quickly got him down to $695 and think I did pretty well. Just one major problem or a few minor ones and buying the extended warranty will be worth it.

My trade-in took care of the tax and other fees and then some, so I wound up paying about $20K for a hot-looking car, great engine, power seat, leather, sunroof, really nice stock audio system, etc. I think it's a great car for the money.

Since I've only had it for a month I can't comment on reliability. Build quality is good IMO. I'm pretty picky, and when I first got the car I spent a good deal of time going over every part of it and didn't find any problems.
  • pgagt101pgagt101 Member Posts: 7
    I got myself a galaxy silver metallic GT1 with the 75th Anniversary Package (chrome tech rims, plus Pontiac emblems on the front doors and on the front seats).

I agree with you, it's a sweet car. Funny thing is when I first started looking for a new car months ago, and somebody mentioned the Grand Am, I didn't think to much of it. I think I had only seen the SE at the time. I had read some reviews that praised the car's performance and features but said that the car was "overstyled" both inside and outside.

After a long while of looking at and test driving a string of boring Japanese cars and the Jetta (which I loved initially but liked less and less every time I returned to the dealer) somebody once again suggested the Grand Am, so I decided to check one out in person.

Seeing one close up and taking a test drive is pretty much all it took. The GT is nicer than the SE, IMO. I soon realized that "overstyled" means "not boring like all the popular Japanese sedans." I especially loved the interior. Loved how the controls are arranged and angled toward the driver. Loved the big air vents. It was a hot day and the air condition was great, very cold. Unlike other cars I looked at, the Grand Am has lots of storage space: glove box with two shelves, big area in front of the shiftere, three cup holders, really big space under the armrest, big pockets behind the seats.

I did go back for another test drive a week later, but I was pretty sure I would wind up with the Grand Am. I'm very happy that I decided to buy this car.

Hey, in case you haven't done so, go over to grandamgt.com, register, and say hello. The folks there are great and can answer any questions you might have. I've learned a lot about appearance car, technical stuff, warranty issues, etc. over there. If you're looking for accessories or performance mods, take a look at partsforyourcar.com, a site just for Grand Ams.
    tonychrys...

I have a 2000 SE1 v6 and have been getting excellent gas mileage. I drive 50 miles round trip during the week and usually have to fill-up weekly. I can go about 320 miles or so before my gas light comes on. The farthest I've ever gone on one tank was about 360 miles. I usually average about 28 MPG, sometimes reaching 30 MPG.

I drive on a parkway every day, so there are lights, but I usually average about 50mph. So these figures are not highway driving, but they're not city traffic driving either.

I've only had the car about 7 months, but have replaced both the spark plugs and wires at around 30,000 miles. I replaced the stock AC Delco plugs with Bosch Platinum+4 plugs and immediately notices an improvement in gas mileage.
    ...I have to believe that my lead-foot driving is why I don't get above 26 - 27mpg with the A/C off. With it running continously this summer I've been doing around 25 mpg, I drive anywhere from 50 - 75mph (the faster the better).

Thanks for the spark plug idea! After I get the 30k service done I'll try to swap out the plugs myself. How much should a set cost?
    the_art_guy:

You put 30,000 miles on your car in 7 months? Or did you buy it used?

I average 24 mpg with my GT in 1/3 city, 2/3 highway driving. I would like to do better, but it is probably difficult.

Did you replace the wires and plugs yourself? I looked at my engine compartment to see how feasible it was for me to do the work. It seemed hard to get to the wires and plugs on the far side of the engine.

May I ask how much it cost to replace the plugs/wires? Did you order them over the internet? Will the plugs alone increase mpg or do you need the wires also? Any info would be helpful.
  • bill211bill211 Member Posts: 21
    Hey Art_Guy

just an observation about life. why is it that we drive on parkways but park in driveways???
    First off let me say that I did not put 30,000 miles on my 2000 SE v6 in 7 months...that would be unbelievably high mileage driving. I bought the car used from Hertz Car Sales in Raleigh, NC (they are great by the way) with around 26,000 miles on it.

About the plugs and wires, YES I did change them myself and NO it is not exactly a easy 10 minute job. I have never replaced spark plugs before so needless to say, I was going cautiously. The only tools you need are a spark plug socket and a ratchet. An extension arm that swivels would also help a lot, but is not necessary (I didn't have one).

I went to my local Trak Auto and got a full set (6) of the Bosch Platinum+4 plugs for about $45 including tax. I believe they run about $6-7 per plug, but they are A LOT cheaper than the AC Delco platinum plugs that were about twice as much.

All you have to do is remove the old plugs, put a little bit of anti-seize compound on the threads (important if you want to be able to remove the plugs later) and install the new plugs. Removing the old plugs is the hardest part, some were easier than others. The 3 on the front of the engine are the easiest to access, but the three on the backside of the engine (near the fire wall) are going to take longer to change. The space is tight back there and your hand/knuckles will probably scrape against the engine a few times...but it can be done!

I ordered Taylor spark plug wires from www.partsforyourcar.com and payed about $45 for the set. The wires are easy to install, all you have to do is match the length of each wire to the one you are replacing, put a little silicone lubricant in the end of the wire that goes onto the distribution cap and then stick one end onto the plugs and the other onto the distribution caps. The important thing is to ONLY do one wire at a time, otherwise you might get the wires mixed up and end up connecting them to the wrong cylinder, and that would not be a good thing.

The entire installation process took me about 2 1/2 hours. That might have been because I was going slow, but you can never go too slow when you're working on your car I always say.

I hope this helps and good luck!