Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• 2002grandam2002grandam Member Posts: 1
    We recently purchased a used 2002 Pontiac Grand Am with 40,000 KM on it, it really good condition. Until last night that is when my bf left for work and went to the car, put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't start. The starter was trying to roll over.. It wasn't the alternator as the lights were on and the whipers and stereo were working, that also ruled out the battery. My very mechanically inclined brother stopped by to take a look at it to no avail..

This morning we decided that we would try it again, once again it wouldn't start. My brother looked over the car, checked the fuses, tried to boost it just in case. Checked for spark which it had a lot of, checked the fuel pressure, once again, lots of pressure. Even tried resetting the computer by unhooking the batter and that didn't work... By then I was really annoyed and even more peeved at the SECURITY light blinking on the dash.

So I came on-line very frustrated came across this and tried it, to my surprise it worked. And now I wonder what the problem is. I even so much as called a GM Dealership but they claim that they have never heard of this, well I felt like sending the guy this link to prove him wrong. In three months this never happend and now I am very frustrated at GM! You think they would fine a fix, afterall Grand AM's are not a new model of car and from reading everyone's coments it's been happening even before 2000.. so makes you wonder what they do at the good old' GM factory, I still like to think I baught a GENERAL MISTAKE... Guess I should have stuck with a FORD.. But regardless, I love my grand am, great mialeage, great on the highway etc.etc. wish GM would fix this problem.

My brother mentioned maybe trying to get a car started because it would bypass the ignition which would make the car start. And makes me wonder why the security light is one when we do not even have powered locks, apparently its for Remote Keyloss Entry which we do not have.. Wish the folks at GM could answer some of my questions but once again.."you have to bring it in so they can make a pretty penny at our expense"..
  • curylockscurylocks Member Posts: 9
    from what i have read.. its not about the keyless entry, its the "passlock" system.. a theft protection system in the car that when the wrong key is used in the ignition.. the fuel pump is shut down.. so a theif can't steal the car.....HMMM General motors.. guess what it also does it when the owner trys to start the car... So my question is ... is it a bug in the electronics.. or does the chip in the key wear out after time?

ALSO did u hear on the news that Toyota is re calling the Prius for the exact same problem??
    i am chuckling as i read your post cuz .. i bet the look on your brother & BF face was priceless when u got the car started!
  • rollininblackrollininblack Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I am having the same trouble with my 2001 Grand Am except it is my Service light is on if u get a fix for this let me know if you dont care cause this car is my sons and I wouldnt want him to have any trouble with it at all...

Thanks Soldier in Iraq
  • fixmycar2fixmycar2 Member Posts: 2
    Scott,

Were you able to get any reply on this? I'm having the same problem with my 2001 GA SE. I was hoping to get a little insight before I paid someone to fix it.

Michelle
  • squakersquaker Member Posts: 3
    I went to the dealer to have them listen to the noise. They said it is the multifunctional switch. He said it happens alot in the Grand Am. I am going to have it changed so I will keep you posted. The dealer said including labor this is about $225.00 to fix.
  • stew3stew3 Member Posts: 1
    I put a scanner on the car and it pulled a P1629 code which is Theft Deterrent System. I have recalibrated the PCM about 3 times and it has also been to a GM shop. After I recalibrated it , it might run 3 start ups or 3 days you never know. Does anybody know how to disable the Theft Deterrent System or is it not possible? We installed a new key lock that we were told would fix it but didn't. Hopefully someone has some answers
  • patrick13patrick13 Member Posts: 2
    how did she fix it mine is doing the same thing
  • outlaw_true177outlaw_true177 Member Posts: 1
    Would anyone be able to tell me what a 1999 Grand Am (auto) 2 door, 99,000 miles, with NO MOTOR be worth? I am wanting to make an offer on it, but not until I find out what it's worth. I'm guessing only around $5-600. I could be wrong! Any info would be greatly appreciated! You can reply on here or email me redneck_andrea@hotmail.com Thanks!
  • gerardh21gerardh21 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, I have a 2000 Grand am that one day just wouldn't crank. The battery has been changed out and the dealership said it was the starter so they changed that out ($500) and I'm still having problems. They can't fix it. The car will simply not start in the mornings. The starter won't even crank. If you try to start it later in the day, it starts up with no problems. It's just not a morning car...other than offering it coffee, can anyone help with this problem? :cry: :sick:
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    In the mornings when it won't start, is the security light in the cluster coming on?
  • grandam_girliegrandam_girlie Member Posts: 1
    Hey can anyone possibly tell me why my turn signal fuse keeps poping. we replaced the multifunction switch and it worked for a few days, and then today i was driving and all of a sudden they didn't work. i turned on my hazard lights and i heard the fuse pop to that. i am getting frustated. we just replaced the chime module too..could that be shorted or something? please help me...i hate driving with out my turn signals.
    thanks in advance!
  • racecar59racecar59 Member Posts: 1
    my security light came on i shut the car off and now the car will not start
  • kwr8911kwr8911 Member Posts: 1
    1999 Pontiac Grand Am
    Factory CD player
    E20 continues to display when CD is inserted.
    Has anyone else had this error number and what have you done to fix it?
  • kmostkmost Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I have a 2002 Grand Am with 54,000 miles. The timing chain broke and ruined the engine. We live in Germany and the GM service mechanic here says we will need a new engine that will cost us about $8000 for new engine and labor. I was wondering if anyone else might know if there are problems with the timing chain. The car has been serviced reguarly and we have never had any problems.
  • gerardh21gerardh21 Member Posts: 2
    Nope. I hear relays in the fuse box and other stuff in the engine compartment, but no starter... :confuse:
    turn the key to on... and leave it that way until the security light goes out, ( it may take up to 30 min before it goes off ) then turn the key back to off.....for a minute or so, and then try starting the car as usual
    4 or 6 cyl. engine?
  • kmostkmost Member Posts: 2
    4 cyl
  • fixmycar2fixmycar2 Member Posts: 2
    I had a problem last year with my 2001 Grand Am. Sometimes the turn signals would work and sometimes it wouldn't. I'm not sure if this is the same issue you are having but, I took it to the dealer and found that there was a recall on the "hazard warning switch." They fixed it for free (of course) and told me it was pretty difficult to do so (it apparently involved removal of most of the front dash...or something). I'd call your dealership or check online for specific recall number so you can ensure it gets fixed correctly (and at no cost - if the problem is because of the recall). My Recall ID Number was: 03V327000. Hope this helps!!!
    Excuse my ignorance, but I don't remember if the 02 4 cyl was a quad 4 or an ecotec, but either way I'm not personally aware of any severe timng chain problems on either. Have you contacted GM?
  • salak21salak21 Member Posts: 4
    The only way I know how to fix it is to turn the car "ON" but don't start it. Leave it in the ON position for at least ten minutes. This will reset the system and your car should start. But just to let you know it's a tempary fix and be careful because it will drain your battery. Most likely it will continue to happen. At this point I still haven't figured it out but what I've been told is that it's the Passlock system that's the problem. Good luck
    Last year I had the same problem and took it to the dealership. I had the entire passlock system replaced, including the ignition switch. But guess what...same problem is accuring once again....can anyone please help I have no idea what to do now. :mad:
    :confuse: Can you replace the entire passlock system or have it completely removed?
    Can you replace the entire passlock system or have it completely removed?
  • patrick13patrick13 Member Posts: 2
    we took our car to the dealer to fix the computer upgrade it needed and to see if that would fix my problem with the pass lock system and now the car is still doing the same thing i dont know what else to do
  • shipley96shipley96 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Grand Am and have had problems with a spring popping out of the
    back of the seat since I got the car. While it was still under warranty, I had
    it fixed. Now my warranty is up and that same spring has popped out AGAIN!! Any
    suggestions on where I might be able to find a replacement seat at a fairly
    decent price? Thanks to anyone who can help me
    I would find a good auto upholstery shop. The seatcovers aren't hard to get off, and they can repair the spring fairly easily. You can try wrecking yards for a different seat.
  • rtatumrtatum Member Posts: 1
    same problem, will not start. We have replaced the passlock sys., ignition switch, wiring harness to the fuel pump, 6 fuel pumps, fuse/relay block, fuel gauge/instrument cluster. my mechanics (4) have told me to leave the key switch in the "on" position for ten minutes and this would reset the pump, it diesn't always work. Any suggestions
  • shipley96shipley96 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the advice!! Why didn't I think of that??? I did check with a few salvage yards, they want like $450. So, I will check into this. Thanks again!!
  • croxtoncroxton Member Posts: 1
    I need to know where the gas goes into the engine on a 2001 grand am 6 cyl. I have been told to put magnets there to enhance gas mileage but I cant find the exact spot....
  • 731robert731robert Member Posts: 8
    i have a 2001 grand am sometimes it wants to idle at 60mph but if you shut the car off and restart it it idles perfect dose anyone know how to fix this problem thank you
  • iwantws6iwantws6 Member Posts: 26
    My wife has an '01 V6. The wiper fluid leaks pretty fast. My question is where is the bottom of the reservior?
    I noticed a hole under the car next to the wheel well that the fluid leaks from, but is this the actual reservior bottom (It seems deep!)?
    I am thinking of plugging the hole up with an epoxy type compound but I want to make sure that's where the problem is and I'm not plugging up a drian hole that should be there,
    Any help would be appreciated
    i have a 2001 pontiac grand am i had the same problem check your reservior hose . where it rubs aginst the battery mine had a hole there (right there where it rubs aginst the battery) i hope this solves your problem.
    check with your delar gm recalled that part on my 2001 grand am you didnt state what year yours was
  • unekgalunekgal Member Posts: 15
    I have a 95 Grand AM. It starts up really hard and the engine shakes like crazy! Idling, when I give it gas, it revs up but when I let off, it completely dies. Please help! This thing has been nothing but trouble! The oxygen censor was changes pretty recently (w/in 5 months), but it's not the first time it has went bad!
  • grandamman1grandamman1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I would be looking at the plug wires and the coils I found that on one of my coils the metal electrode was totally carboned up even after I cleaned it the car misfired and shook so I swapped one from a parts car that I have and it fixed it I also replaced the plug wires to those two cylinders. If you stand by the car you may hear a clicking noise as the fire jumps down the coil. Only other thing I can think of is there is a hose that I think goes to the fuel pressure regulator it is right down near the coil pack if it is unplugged the car will be hard to start and run rough have a look anyway see if you have any visible air leaks.
    regards
    rod
    93 Grand Am
    95 Grand Am
    93 and 95 parts Grand Ams
  • lilly73lilly73 Member Posts: 1
    My heater blower is not working. I feel some heat but nothing is coming out when you turn the heat on. Please someone help me. :cry:
  • obriend21obriend21 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 GA 4 cyl. I too have a wiper fluid leak, but it's at the pump mechanism. If I don't use the washer fluid, I don't have a leak, but if I use it a lot I notice a puddle in the driveway afterwards.

I'd probably replace it myself, but I'm sure a new pump is $$ and it's really not too much of a bother.
  • mustangman5mustangman5 Member Posts: 1
    I just spoke with GM in Toronto (Roy Foss). The service super indicated that the problem is the "Passlock Housing". I believe the OBDII code is B2960. The error can be turned off with an OBDII tester (like you get at Canadian Tire), but you can also turn the key to the "On" position for 10 minutes, cleari">ng the computer codes, which will result in the vehicle starting again.

The repair of the Housing (sort of an ignition module) costs about 400.00 CAN and takes 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. He indicated it would clear up the whole problem. From what I've heard here I'm not so sure.

Another option he offered was to have a good quality (ie: Alpine, Viper) remote starter installed. This permits the keyless starting of the vehicle. The ignition contacts that are not working correctly are then by-passed. I'm not sure how well this works. My friend indicated he put in the remote starter and that "did not" solve the problem. His suggestion was to just keep clearing the computer. My problem is getting to frequent to put up with that. BTW: The service supervisor also indicated that repeated clearing of the computer by means of turning the "On" switch for 10 minutes "does not" in any way create computer problems. I'm still not sure about that one either :(

Take care,
    Mustangman
    If I'm not mistaken, the passlock system disables the fuel pump, so bypassing it with remote starter won't help. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I had this repair done on my 99 when I had it. That cleared up the problem and it didn't recur. It was around $330 US. If I recall, the parts were about $100 of the total.
  • iwantws6iwantws6 Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone know how to tighten it up? there's a tweeter built into the pillar, I assume there are bolts underneath that, but I wanted to check here first before I start taking stuff apart.

Thanks

Joe
  • katrinadkatrinad Member Posts: 2
    My 95 grand am does that if I have less than a 1/4 tank of gas.
  • katrinadkatrinad Member Posts: 2
    Sometimes the blower on my 95 Grand Am works sometimes it doesn't. Possibly it could be when the weather is cold. How can I get the blower to work all the time?
  • ivy7ivy7 Member Posts: 1
    oh my god i have the same problem with my 93 pontiac grand am i was told there are a few things it could be and done my own research... one it could be the thermistate stuck open or closed this is the cheapest thing to fix so hope it is this, it could be your heater core which is like 35 to 45 dollars to replace mind you this is if you do it yourself, or it could be your heating counsoule which is where the nobs are and i think this is it cuz my electric is bad in my car how about yours??? cuz that has electric conections so who knows let me know asap cuz it is winter here and i need heat >>> DK :cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • brittanybbrittanyb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Am and the Service engine soon light keeps popping up. It's not a everyday thing but its close does anyone know what is causing it to happen?
  • grandamman1grandamman1 Member Posts: 4
    replacing the heater core in these cars is not very easy you have to take the center console out and most of the dash plastic parts I did my old 93 grand am in dead of winter and ended up with a backseat full of parts I would look at thermostat first your fan relay could be stuck causing the cooling fan to run all the time have a look at that.
    regards
    rod
    i have a 2001 grand am sometimes it wants to idle at 60 mph but if you shut the car off and restart it it runs fine can anyone help me fix this problem thank you
    It's impossible to say, since so many things can cause it to come on. One thing you can do is check to see if the gas cap is on correctly and is tight, and that the seal is not damaged. A loose gas cap can cause it to come on since the vapor recovery system can't hold a vacuum if the cap is loose.
    Otherwise you will probably need the codes read off the maintenance port to see why it's happening.
  • grandlemongrandlemon Member Posts: 1
    I OWN A 2001 PONTIAC GRAND AM AND I CANT BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW MUCH OF A PIECE OF CRAP IT IS. EVERYHIGN FROM NOT STARTING TO THE LEAKS TO NOW IT IS BOGGING OUT. HAVE HAD LOTS OF WORK DONE.WOULD BE GLAD TO GO INTO DETAIL IF YOU EMAIL ME.THANKS :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: