Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• fuddleypfuddleyp Member Posts: 1
    I RENTED A BRAND NEW GRAND AM 12-22-99 WITH ONLY 4 MILES ON IT. RIGHT OFF THE BAT I DIDN,T LIKE THE RED DASH LIGHTS AND THE STEREO WAS HOLLOW EVEN WITH THE CD PLAYER BUT THE WORST PART WAS THAT ON MILE 45 WITH THE CAR ON 40MPH CRUISE IT THREW A ROD!!!
    THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I"LL EVER OWN A PONTIAC!
    I UNDERSTAND PONTIACS STILL HAVE ONE OF THE WORST SIDE IMPACT RATINGS AS WELL. GLAD IT WAS JUST A RENTAL!
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    That last post about a rental car sounds a little suspect. What are the chances of renting a car with 4 miles on it? Even my new car had about 200 miles on it when I bought it. I guess the rental cars are sold directly to the companies without test drives, but what are the odds you would get one without anybody else every driving it? And then throwing a rod at 45 miles? Something sounds rotten in Denmark if you ask me.
  • rav6rav6 Member Posts: 1
    Azurerain,
    I own a 2000 Grand Am GT that is 7 months old. Ever since I first saw this car it was the one I wanted. Two disappointments: 1) front brakes warped at 9,000 miles (replaced under warranty) and 2)a sun visor that doesn't stay all the way up when blocking the sun. However, I love the style and power. Test drive other vehicles first because some people have different tastes. In my opinion the GT is a practical as well as a performance car. It gets my recommendation.
    lyrmal: I'm so glad to see your positive post. My 1999 GT has 15,000 miles+ in its first 11 months. Except for the door panel problem, everything is AOK. It's great to hear from someone with 40K miles. I am in a negative cash situation with this car due to a previous problem vehicle. So I will have to keep this car for a long while and am encouraged by your post. Keep posting as you go!
  • guylguyl Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know when the Grand Am SC/T will be coming out. When it will be coming out? Were, US and Canada? Other than www.grandam2000.com are there any other sites out there? It sure would be a great car.

Thank you
    Just wanted everyone to know. I have a 1999 Grand Am, SE1, with v6, sunroof and upgraded stereo. I currently have 34000 miles on it, a little over 54000 km. The only problem I have is from rotors, they have been turned 2 times and will need to be replaced in a few months. I do not understand why, but it seems its normal. I have a clunk noise coming from the back of the car, when I turn left slowly, but that should be under warranty. I also had a problem with unlocking the trunk with the key, but its been fixed under warranty. The car shakes middly at high speeds, but it seems its my tires, funny how its been doing this 20000 km's ago.

Other than that, I'm very happy. The car has all kinds of power, gets pretty good gas millage.

It is a car I would recommend to others. Recently, I have rented a 2000 Intrepid and a 2000 Taurus. They are not too bad, but prefer the grand am. I found that the Grand Am has the best of both worlds. If you want a smooth car, and want to drive it like grand-dad, no problem. If you want to drive it hard and accelerate hard, no problem. The other 2 cars I mettionned was either one of the 2 hard driving cars or grand-dad cars. The Grand Am, is both if you want it to be.

You are probably going to say that the Intrepid is not a hard driving car. Try it, press the gas a little, it feels like you floored it. With the Grand Am, you press it a little, it goes a little, you press it hard, it goes hard. The Intrepid, you press it a little, press it hard, no matter, it goes hard. No the Taurus, its not too bad, smooth running car, at the top end, doesn't have as much power as the Grand Am. But nice smooth car.

With the Grand Am, I can take the turns hard with no problem, with the other 2 cars, they would squeel a lot, and I would not puch them at all.

Anyways, just my 2 cents worth.
    My favorite part of my commute to work is the ramp connecting my local road to the interstate. It consists of three pretty sharp reverse curves - right, left, right.

Some days I have some pickup, minivan or other sedan annoyingly riding up my rear end on the local road. I wait until I get on the ramp and then I make my 1999 GA GT do some dancing. The cornering ability is incredible! I carve the turns on the ramp at 50 mph, leaving everybody in the dust. They're lucky if they can negotiate the turns at 30 mph, which is fine by me.

That's just a little fun I have on my daily 60 mile round trip to work everyday. I love this car!
  • nerssnerss Member Posts: 43
    I will start off by saying that I love this car. I own a 99 with the 4 cyl., and I am glad I only have the 4. I frequently find myself speeding while coasting on city streets. The car handles great and absorbs the horrible michigan roads with ease. I am having the door panels replaced due to bubbling under warranty. The only other gripe is the tire noise and there are two doors that have excessive noise like the windows are open, but they aren't. Has anybody else had problems like this before?
  • genxorcistgenxorcist Member Posts: 3
    Hello.

I'm trying to decide on which of these cars to lease and would appreciate any input. I've started a separate board entitled 2000 Grand Am GT1 vs 2000 Saturn LS2 to weigh the pros and cons of each. If any of you have time and are inclined to contribute, please stop by for a visit. Thanks.
  • clubnevclubnev Member Posts: 3
    I just rented one for 9 days and did a fair amount of traveling - approx. 400 miles. It was a 2000 model, 4 door and had a V6 engine. My parents also own a V4 - I believe it is a 97.

The car I drove had 16,000 miles on it and the shocks need replacement. Also, the rental had a bad blind spot, - my parent's 97 has no blind spot.

I have owned a toyota and presently own an Accord and my 10 year old Honda with 169,000 miles handles curves better than the 2000 Grand Am I rented.

It was a decent rental, except for the curves - I was VERY disappointed, as this is the worst rental car I've ever driven for curves. Because of that, I won't rent another one where I know I will be in traffic with it.

Also, as far as renting rental cars for the first time, I actually had one with 5 miles on it - the car rental had to take the stickers off - and I have been fortunate to rent cars with as little as 200 miles.
  • leadfootnotleadfootnot Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at the Grand AM for sometime. Does anyone think that the GT is worth it or is the SE good enough?
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    what was it doing or not doing on the curves?
    I don't understand either what the car was not doing on curves. The car must have been beat to death to not be able to handle curves and be in need of shock replacement. You can't judge the car based on an abused rental car. As I posted previously, I LOVE to drive my GA on the curves. Granted, I have the GT model (with 16,000 miles) and I take really good care of it. But I test drove an SE model and it performed very admirable on curves.

For leadfootnot: Your question could be debated for ever. It depends what you want in the car. I decided to get the GT because I wanted a V6, sunroof, custom cloth seats, 4 wheel disc brakes, a power seat and other stuff. It made the most sense for me to buy the GT. Besides, I liked the styling and wheels better. But that's only for me. Can you get by with a 4 cylinder? Do you need all these options? Do you need a RamAir engine with extra HP and torque? Make a list of all the options you want and price out the GT versus an SE with the added options. That's a good place to start your comparison decision making process. Good luck.
  • nirvana1nirvana1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a choice for a company car, the grand am se2 and the gp se. other than the obvious size difference, which is a better car?
  • patolocopatoloco Member Posts: 6
    In earlier posts, several people mentioned replacement of rotors, but I am confused if it covered under warranty or not. I have a 99 GA with about 19,000 miles on it. I bought it with 14,000 miles - understanding that the brakes would be a likely problem area. The rotors are already smoked. A nice blue color on both the inside and outside!! What do I have to tell the dealer in order to get the upgrade? Will I have to cover the difference in Price? Are they going to try and blame this on my driving style? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks - Dave
  • patolocopatoloco Member Posts: 6
    I have the SE with the V-6 and have been quite happy with it. The car accelerates great, and the gas mileage is usually between 25 - 30 mpg (depending on how heavy my foot is). I remember reading that the difference in horsepower was minimal - so options and styling would probably determine your decision. Although I have NOT driven the GT, so I can't speak for both sides.
    I have a 98 GP SE and 99 Alero GL3 (which is very similar to a GA). Like you said, the bigger size of the GP is an obvious difference. The GP also rides steadier on the highway. The 3.8 GP feels like it accelerates quicker. My GP has the overhead console which is much better than the small overhead storage pocket the alero has. I'm not sure what the GA has. The GP is also quieter. I only hear the engine exhaust coming from the rear of the car while the Alero I can hear engine sounds coming from the front. The GP's trunk is much larger and has the articulated hinges. The GP rear seat has a center arm rest, the Alero doesn't.

I have both cars. I like the GP better.
  • amloveramlover Member Posts: 2
    I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can Help me with my situation. I currently own a 1998 Mazda Protege ES and I am in the process of trading it for either the Olds Alero or the Grand Am. Since reading entries in this forum for both the Alero and the Grand Am I am lead to believe that the Grand Am is the better choice. I would really like anyone's opinion on this matter as it is hard to choose from the two. (I have already chosen engine type, V6 3.1 or 3.4 engine) Thanks for any responses!!!
  • obiwanobiwan Member Posts: 57
    Really, it comes down to styling issues. The performance of the two cars is so similar, even the Ram Air of the GA GT doesn't make a noticable difference. I'd say that you should go and look at both, up close and in person. Then look at the option lists and costs. They should be similar but the configurations could be different enough on the details to matter to you.

After you look both over, you should have an idea which you like better. If not, go with the one you can get a better deal on.
    I have an Alero. My friend drove over with his GA and pulled up behind the Alero. The GA is much snazzier in appearance side by side with the Alero. But separately, the GA looks over done and the Alero looks more elegant. Personal preference, take your pick. I won't be offended.
  • azurerainazurerain Member Posts: 3
    I was just wondering what most of you paid average for your 00' Grand Am GT1?, I am considering (well pretty much going for it) buying it. But I noticed on the media.pontiac.com site it said the 2001 GA/GT will be released August 1, 2000. So I am assuming the price will drop, did anyone notice this on new 99's when the 00's came out?. I won't be buying till after August 1st, so I am hoping to get a good deal.
    I happened to get lucky when I bought my mostly loaded '99 GT1. It turned out the dealer had the wrong invoice when he was negotiating. They had the right vin number but the price of a loaded SE2. And I got it for $200 over invoice of that SE2. They didn't catch it until all the paperwork was signed and they couldn't back out of the deal. Quite embarrassing for them...

As far as what to expect for a deal, you need to balance the timing of your deal. The later you get your car, the better deal you can get on the 2000 models. However, the longer you wait, the fewer cars you'll have to choose from.
  • rich310rich310 Member Posts: 34
    FYI--2001 prices for somes cars including ALero and Grand AM are in Kelly's Blue Book (KBB.com). It appears that base prices are up, but more options are included so there is less need for an additional cost package.

Has anyone driven an Alero and Grand Am? Any preferences? What aer your reactions to each.
  • vorozabvorozab Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 1997 Grand Am GT, and have driven a '00 Alero base model. Obviously I preferred my GA, but it wasn't really a fair comparison. Among GM's, I've always been partial to Pontiacs anyway, previously owning a 1988 Bonneville SSE.
  • alhoutexalhoutex Member Posts: 14
    I purchased my 2000 GA GT in february of this year. I have 9800 hard driven Houston Texas miles on the car, and no complaints. I have noticed a pulsing in the brakes when braking at high speeds or very low speeds, like approaching a stoplight. Is this the rotors? Ive seen several postings about the rotors, and fear this is infecting my car. As far as choosing between a GT or an SE, there is no comparison. The 4 cyl is very strained when put under pressure. Also the steering wheel feels flimsy compared to the GT leather wrapped steering wheel. You can tell the quality difference between the two models. If you do like the SE, definitely get the V6.
    The pulsing sounds like the rotors, unless it occurs when you hit the brakes hard for quick stops. Then it might be the ABS kicking in. I'm starting to get some rumbling/pulsing when I hit my brakes. Maybe I'll have the dealer check it out next time it's in. I have 16,000 miles on my GT.

I have begun to notice little noises where interior parts seem to be rubbing together. But it doesn't seem to happen all the time. Nothing real major - just hope it isn't an indication of things to come. Anybody else notice this?
  • amloveramlover Member Posts: 2
    I am having a real problem deciding between the GA and alero. Definetly need a v6 engine, could anyone out there please convince me one way or the other??
  • pwilliamkpwilliamk Member Posts: 21
    I have an SE2 which I bought in January and I only have 5000miles on it. I have what seems to be pulsating in the brakes just like alhoutex. I can't see how that is possible after this many miles but I know that it is not the ABS because I am never on the brakes hard enough for this to occur. I also have the 4cyl and sometimes when I start it the engine runs irraticaly The rpms fluctuate up and down like 500-750rpm). I have asked the dealer what it might be but he said unless the check engine light or another fault comes (or if it repeats this occurence at the dealership with the computer hooked up: we all know that this will never happen) then there is nothing that he can do about it. Any ideas what might cause this a fuel throttle sensor or something in that line. Other than that I love the car and how it handles with the 16' rims and tires.
  • alhoutexalhoutex Member Posts: 14
    well, I know its not the ABS, cause I dont think ive ever had to hit them real hard. Ive got to take it in for the windows scratching my tint, so Ill have them look at it. If it is the rotors, they should still be under the warranty. does anyone know if there is a TSB on this problem? Other than the brakes, no problems, and no noises yet, although I dont have that many miles yet. The car get stares from everywhere, and It still makes me stare, so I can definitely live with a few minor problems.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    I dont think ive ever had to hit them [brakes] real hard.

GM requires "to hit brakes" hard at least every 1000 miles. Otherwise they can't self-adjust. Look at the car's manual.

Majority of people who have the warped rotor problem (GrandAm-Alero and Malibu-Cutlass) claim they never brake hard. Is it one of the reasons?
    Well, I drive in L.A. rush hour traffic. I don't make a habit of it, but braking hard comes with driving on the freeways. And at 18,000 miles on my '99 GT1, my rotors are warped. I just haven't gotten around to replacing them yet...
    You can't decide? I won't even try for you. But you are trying to start a big pissing contest here.
  • kjkelleykjkelley Member Posts: 4
    I've had this Grand Am for 1 year and 9K miles. It's a white 4 door with all available options (incl. chrome rims and subwoofer amp.)
    PROS:
    - Great power and low end torque.
    - Good handling (although my '87 G/A could pull more G's on a skid pad).
    - Excellent interior and seating (leather). The driver's seat can be adjusted way down and back for larger people (I'm 6').
    - Sunroof maintains headroom by opening on top of the roof, unlike the Grand Prix/ Regal which are larger but have less headroom.
    - Split fold-down rear seat is VERY useful. You don't get that in a BMW 323i for 35K!
    - Solid overall construction and feel.
    CONS:
    - The engine produces a ticking noise for about 2 minutes after first start. I quiets when the oil warms up. I believe it to be a bad lifter, or a clogged oil journal to that lifter. (The dealer bailed by saying I was 1/2 quart low - no way).
    - Heavy oil smell enters the passenger compartment through the vents for the first 1K miles after an oil change. This may be related to a PCV valve problem, since I pulled the PCV and cleaned it and the smell went away.
    - The brakes are good so far, no paint chips, or radio problems except rarely the volume doesn't respond to the knob being turned down. No leaks.
    - Have any of you seen or fixed similar problems?
    I've noticed the ticking also when first starting up. It goes away by the time I'm ready to back out of the driveway (30 seconds), so I'm not concerned. If the oil were low, I'm sure it would tell me. This car has enough idiot warning lights to play a night baseball game under! Although I must say it saved me on a low tire pressure once. I had the light come on late at night, so I checked the tire visually and found no problem. When I got home I checked the pressure and sure enough - it was really low (tough to tell on low profile tires). Took it to the shop and there was a screw in the tread!

I always smell burning oil after an oil change. Usually because the mechanic spills oil when removing the filter. It gets on the engine block and when it heats up - yuck! That usually lasts for a few weeks, no matter who much Simple Green I attempt to spray to clean it.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    My 99 has many of the same habits your talking about. I get the oil smell in the vents (when on fresh air only, of course) after oil changes. It's not because of spillage or leaks, I do my own oil changes and I'm careful about wiping up. It has to be coming from the top of the engine, since the fresh air intakes are on the top of the cowl. It could be the PCV valve kj, since it is on the same valve cover as the oil fill, and it always seems to have oil seeping out around it. I may try a new seal. I can't see any other leaks.
    The noisy lifters on start up seem to be a characteristic of the engine and aren't a problem as far as I'm concerned.
    Hitting the trunk seals with high pressure spray can allow a little water in the trunk, but normally it's not a problem.
    I really like the car and it's a world apart from our 95 GA. I have 33,000 miles (about 2 years old now)
    When I was looking to buy a new car, I was certain I wanted an Alero. I loved the look. But as you know, when you drive it, then you know for sure. I didn't want a GA, I hated the look. Well, I took out a Alero and found it was smooth on the strait road but had lots of role on the corners and didn't take the bumps well. Then I listened to a friend of mine, who told me to take a GA out, you never know he said. I found it handled a little better, wasn't as smooth on the strait, but took the bumps well. Both of those cars were 4 Cyl. and similar options. The Alero was 500$ cheaper than the GA, and after negociations, the GA was 500$ cheaper. The Olds dealer would not budge. After driving the Alero and the GA, my opinion was that I prefered the drive on the GA. Currently I own a 1999 SE1 V6 fully loaded with the 15" tire. I'm in love with this car.

The looks of the car is one thing, you need to drive it, drive both with similar options and see for your self. You sit in the car more than standing outside. What do you prefer, something that drive like you want, or something that looks nice, but drive like cr@#$p.

So, take both out and see for yourself...

my 2 cents
  • fastfoodmanfastfoodman Member Posts: 9
    I own a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am and so far I have had nothing but constant problems with this car. Engine trouble, transmission work, AC broke, tires got flat, bad handleing, bad seats, bad dash, oil problems, etc. I could go on and on. It has been in the shop over 7 months so far. I would never but another Grand Am I suggest everyone here do the same! I own a Camry now and it is much better!
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    DUBIOUS PARTICIPANT WITH TWISTED POSTS

REPORT HIS ACTIVITY TO THE ROOM MODERATOR!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fastfoodman, many of us are participating in many of the other forums you are posting in. We see you post that you had "car x" and it is a piece of junk. You compare these cars to your Camry and always try to make the Camry appear so much better. In one forum, you even go so far to make the laughable assertion that your Camry is as fast as a Corvette.

While the Camry may be a fine automobile, your frequent and highly dubious "personal experiences" do nothing to support your position. In fact, they serve to show that you are merely one of the mindless chattle being lead around by the Toyota marketing staff.

If you want to be taken seriously, I would try a few things. First, be honest about what vehicles you really own and have owned in the past. You jump from forum to forum listing so many GM cars as having been in your stable. That leads us to the obvious conclusion that you aren't being honest with us. Second, take a few minutes to proofread your posts. Your spelling and grammar are atrocious and further the image that you are nothing more than a raving simpleton with no more than an 8th grade education at best.

If you have something to say about GM or Toyota, try engaging in an honest and intelligent discussion. You will win more converts to your ideas that way.
  • kevinjkelleykevinjkelley Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Grand Am GT1 Sedan, and after every oil change, the smell of oil come through the vents for 1K miles.

I believe I've found the solution. I change my own oil (every 2K-2500 miles). The oil pan is cast aluminum with "drip guides" directly below where the oil filter mounts to the block. These drip guides direct any excess oil spilled during an oil change straight down to the oil pan. They look like a small lip cast into the oil pan.

There's a small drip guide about 1" below the filter. This is obvious and easy to clean. There's another way down new the bottom of the pan behind the front frame cross member that's nearly impossible to see. Oil collects on this one and it's not tilted down well (more flat) so it doesn't drain.

The trick is to thoroughly clean both the top and bottom drip guides with a rag after the new filter is attached. GM should delete the guides, make them more shallow or increase the angle on them to help them drain.

For those of you who go to Jiffy Lube, you'll have to deal with the smell, 'cause they'll never clean it... For the rest, try it!
    I'll try your suggestion, kevin, and see if it helps. I believe I was careful in cleaning these areas but will check again to be sure.
    kevinjkelley: Do you put your car up on a lift when changing your oil or drive it up on ramps? I've tried getting under my Grand Am and there's no room to maneuver around.
  • kjkelleykjkelley Member Posts: 4
    I have no problem squeaking under the front end on the ground to undo the oil plug. The filter is closer to the front near the bottom, so it's easier to get at. My '96 Intrepid is harder to get under.

I give the car an 9 out of 10 for ease of oil change, and an 8 of 10 for overall maintainability.

Note: you must jack the engine up a few inches (under the cast aluminum oil pan using a block of wood) to change the accessory belt.
    GM recommends that you don't use a jack under the oil pan for lifting the car because serious damage can result. If you use a block to spread the load it helps, but I don't chance it. Personally I lift the car with a floor jack under the side rails, using a block to cushion the jack head where it contacts the rails. I always use a jackstand (or stands) as a safety precaution because I've had floor jacks fail during use before.
    I agree that it's very easy to do regular oil changes on the V6. Ditto for our 95 4cyl.
    There is a plastic cover that is removed with two wing bolts to get easy access to the filter
    I should have said that the plastic cover is on the V6 (1999 model), not on the 95 4 cyl. I don't know if later model 4 cyl has it not.
    Just wanted all of you to know. I have a 1999 SE1 with V6, and K&N air filter part# 33-2121 fits. I bought it last night, I was wasn't sure it would work. I got the part # from someone in the states and it worked for him. I'm in Canada and it works just fine. I looked for this for 6 months and finaly found one.

Here is my 2 cents
  • grandamsucksgrandamsucks Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 GA gt, 3months after I had it the brake line broke going down the freeway at 65. Of course they said it was my fault and it wasn't covered under warranty. Then a year after I had it the engine light started coming on and it would idle at 2500rpm. When I took it in they said that if it didn't do it on the computer then there was nothing wrong. It still idles at 2000-2500 when you first start it. I also have the clicking noise when I start it up then it goes away after a minute. It's 2 1/2 now and the electrical is going. The clock and radio numbers go hay wire and you can't read them. Has anyone else experienced things like these? I will never own a GA again nor will I tell someone to buy one.

GAsucks
  • lrymallrymal Member Posts: 105
    Bizarre....
    Have had my '99 GA for over two years and 40 thousand miles, on rough Houston freeways, and dusty dirt roads in the rural areas. Haven't had any difficulties in having technical issues solved with my dealer.

My engine light came on a few months back. Took it to my dealer and the light wouldn't return on. He didn't reject me at all. He placed the computer on it and said it showed I was burning rich. He got on the phone and hung up. Told me to follow him to the back of the car. He opened the gas filler door and we saw a loose gas cap. The cap clearly states that the light may come on if it is loose. d'uh!

Personally, I think you should stop knocking the car and knock the dealer instead.
    I've had my '99 Grand Am for a year and a half now. I've driven it in the midwest snow, mountain passes, open desert roads, L.A. freeways, you name it. The only problem I have had is with the brake rotors warping because they were poorly designed.

There have been some Grand Ams that suffered from poor build quality. It looks like your's is one of those. However, a competent dealer should be able to fix the problems. Take your car to a different dealer.

Oh, and Kim, before you go looking for that Honda, make sure you're not suckered in to believing the hype that they are somehow dramatically better than any other car. Check out this website. It has links to all sorts of information on the problems people have with Honda.

http://members.tripod.com/~juan_espero/hype.html

Disclaimer: By posting this link, I'm not trying to say that Grand Ams are better than Hondas. I'm just trying to say that Hondas are just like any other car on the road. Far from perfect.
  • flight4523flight4523 Member Posts: 1
    For everyone who is having problems with brakes/electronic etc. let pontiac know directly! You can find all the info to get a hold of them at the following URL:
    http://www.pontiac.com/contactus/contactus.html