Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• Options
    lrymallrymal Member Posts: 105
    Well, the Chile flag is a great idea. Definitely is close to the Texas flag and I just adopted it.

The profile manager here and me don't get along too well. It makes corrections much later than when you change them. I formerly lived in Accra, Ghana in West Africa, but the Manager never would let the correction stick.

I tried again and maybe it will finally fix.

The profile manager is cool, but what you enter is not what it dishes out.
  • Options
    dhollidaydholliday Member Posts: 1
    I just helped my twin sons purchase a GA each, and after I drove theirs awhile,just purchased 1 for myself. Questions for all you out there. I have replaced water pump on the '97, Steering pump on the '96 and brakes on both of them. Are there any other problems looming in the background for these 17 years old? Dad's is a GT1 75th '01 loaded and yes, the kids are impressed, to say the least. 97k on the '97, 63k on the '96. What should I expect GA owners?
  • Options
    There's nothing really unusual about the Grandam that notes special caution.

The question holiday asked really would appeal to anyone with "legacy" cars, not just the Grandam. I tend to put over 200k on vehicles and still have an '85 Old Calais that tools around just fine.

I don't think anything beyond the usual should fail, assuming the vehicles had decent maintenance, Take my '99 Grandam for example. It has 53000 miles on it and is getting of the mileage that I should expect failure anytime from any (or hopefully NONE) of the listed items below. Perhaps none of these will go out and the car will get 200k on it without incident. grin

* Starter
    * Water pump
    * Alternator/battery
    * -- maybe the power steering pump

Typical "hard" maintenance items that need to be checked and maybe replaced would be the hoses and belts, including the serpentine belt. Brakes are a no-brainer and need to be replaced about every 40k.

Struts should hang in there until about 80k.
    Anyway, that has been my experience through the years.

--Larry
  • Options
    the_art_guythe_art_guy Member Posts: 61
    Irymal, how did you get mirrors to match the color of your car if you have an SE? I too have an SE and would like to get silver mirrors to match my Silvermist exterior.

I know that the SE comes stock with black mirrors and the GT comes with body color mirrors.

Did you order them from Pontiac, if so, how much were they? If not, did you paint them yourself and how hard was it?
  • Options
    jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Hey guys....the GA is getting a thrashing over in the "News and Views" Category under "the Return of GM's might". Could use some help in its defense!
  • Options
    Local body shop charged $50.00 per mirror for a repaint. Was definitely a no-brainer for me...

--Larry
  • Options
    mantamanta Member Posts: 4
    I doubt that this is your problem, but I get a yucky plastic-y oily smell whenever I use the GM window washer fluid. I don't get the same smell from other types, just the Opticlean...but this doesn't last for more than a few minutes. Just an idea though...
  • Options
    Thanks for the info...not sure what that smell was...but its gone away as fast as it appeared...
  • Options
    nerssnerss Member Posts: 43
    I just wanted to move this forum up to the top:)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, maybe that works and maybe it doesn't. It all depends on how folks have their preferences set as to how they view the list.

A better idea would be to just make a post relevant to the discussion. ;-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    nerssnerss Member Posts: 43
    How do I set my preferences so that this topic comes up when I login. It is pretty much the only topic that I am interested in. To all: How soon should I have to replace my serpentine belt? I have noticed a light squeal from the engine recently. I only have 42,000 miles on a 99 SE1 with the 4 cylinder.
  • Options
    Probably the easiest way would be to "subscribe" to this discussion. Then you can enter Town Hall by way of the Welcome Page and click on either the Message Center or Read Subscriptions link on the left sidebar. This will bring you here if there are new messages for you to read.

To do this, you click on "Subscribe" at the bottom of the page (above the post box). Then on the next page, check the box that says "track new messages" and click OK.

Then when there are new messages here, you can get here easily as I described above.

However, you can't get here from there :-) if there are no new messages. There really is no way (that I can find) to keep a specific discussion at the top of your own view of the discussion list. You could change your preferences to display discussions alphabetically, which might make it easier for you to find it when there are no new messages. See the link to "preferences" at the top of this page (beside the Welcome nerss message) if you want to do that.

Hope this helps a bit. You might want to read through the Town Hall Help which is linked on the left sidebar for more information.

Pat
    Host
  • Options
    jdexter23jdexter23 Member Posts: 94
    What I do to make my multiple viewing easier is to bookmark this page and choose auto loin. I have to click the loin button only if I want to post something. Maybe this helps...

ID
  • Options
    But does that way keep track of the last message you read and start you off there? It has been my impression that bookmarking discussions directly here on WebX doesn't work very well for that reason, and also - as you note - you arrive at the discussion as a "guest" member and cannot post.

However, if it works for you, great! :-)

Pat
    Host
  • Options
    babygrandam1babygrandam1 Member Posts: 2
    First time writing about my Baby Grand AM,Which I`Iv`e Owned now since Nov.2000My GAGT1is in Galaxy Silver Metallic,with Dark Pewter Interior Leather. Love my Car,Better than my 1999 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi Model Sharing my UpGrades:Donnelly Auto Brand Auto /Map Lamps/Compass Rear View Mirror,GM Accessories WindowAirDeflectors,GMMud Flaps,Real WoodTrimby Exotic Wood Dasha Band I Manufacturer75thAnniversary Exterior Insignia Badges for Both doors,front,and Interior Insignia badgesFootwell frontCourtesy LampsThose of you That want to upgrade your GA`s May Enjoy This approach ,as I HaveAlso adds Great resale tothe Car.Take Care,Sincerely BabyGrand AM
  • Options
    When I bookmark it, it always brings me to the last 20 posts. Since I check this page several times a week, it always brings me close to the last post I have read.

JD
  • Options
    midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Baby Grand Am: I'd be interested in seeing what an exotic wood dash looks like on a Grand Am. Do you have any pictures of the car to share? In my mind, I can't picture gray soft dash material blending with wood trim, so I'd be interested in seeing the results. Anybody else try this upgrade on their Grand Am?

And what about the rear view mirror with a compass? Does it have a thermometer and how well does it work and cost?
  • Options
    babygrandam1babygrandam1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Mid Life Crisis,ThThank youfor your inquiries regarding the Donnelly Mirror ,and the exotic wood KitTo answer your questions ,I will be posting future pictures of my Finished GA,all decked out in the wood ,which I Think looks great The price of the Donnelly mirror is 199.99plus my friend who works for GM and owns a service garage charged me 50.00 to install it I find the features and quality of this mirror Excellent ,and its at least 2inhes wider for Better visability than the oem Donelly Donnellyactory installed mirror without the compass and auto dim featureHope ,this helps you for now ,and Thank`s for yourIinterest,againLook for my postings of the finished UP Grades,on my carTake CareSincerely BabyGrandAm1
  • Options
    L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    ...appreciate it when other guests organize thoughts into more easily read structures, let's stick to discussing the car instead of grammar.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    rpm9rpm9 Member Posts: 73
    ZZZZZZZZZZ. No posts in the last three days? I guess everyone's GA is running fine. Good deal for everyone!
  • Options
    Last year I cancelled my Consumer Report magazine subscription, partially because I was so irate about their review of the Grand Am. They claimed there was little to recommend in this car. Of course they tested the 4-cylinder base model, no the 6 cylinder SE and for sure not the GT model. However, when they test Accords and Camrys, they manage to get the top of the line 6-cylinder models. What a coincidence.

Up until last year, the 1999 Grand Am got a less than average reliability (while curiously the Alero got a better than average rating). I was in CVS at the magazine rack the other day and decided to see what reliability rating the GA got in this year's magazine. Suprisingly, the GA has been upgraded to "average" for its reliability. For a GM car, that's like getting a perfect 10.0 score in an Olympic event from the CR judge.

Yes, you can tell me that the reliability ratings are developed through reader survey. But who knows what CR does with these numbers? I believe their automobile ratings are flawed and skewed to get the results they desire. They should stick to washing machines and stereos.

Call me crazy, but the bottom line is that I'd rather be driving my $20K Grand Am GT then my coworker's $37,000 BMW 323.
  • Options
    I too can't understand why these review magazines give the GA low marks. Its a great car. All they can say is that it is overstyled. They never mention how they ride and perform. I especially get annoyed when they give the Alero higher marks; just cause the sheetmetal is different doesn't make it a better car. I have a friend who owns an Alero and he says that he likes the interior of my GA better than his car. He says that the interior feels more "plasticy" than the GA. Don't get me wrong, I think the alero is a sharp car (except those tail lights...ewww).

My one complaint is that my car still has the oil smell coming through the vents when i come to a complete stop. (there are previous posts regarding this) Others have mentioned that they have this problem too. I was wondering how many owners experience this and why hasn't GM addressed this. Ford has had one recall on the escape for having a fuel smell in their vehicle, why can't GM do the same for oil smells...
  • Options
    That is VERY weird about the oil smell in the vents. Without going back and re-reading the earlier messages, I'm wondering if this occurs only when the fresh-air option is dialed up. My thoughts are that it is coming from the engine area and the fresh air is sucking this in.

I have disassembled the cowl plastic covering on my GrandAm, so to remove pine straw and leaves from the squirrel cage fan (grrrr!) and it is rather uncomplicated. Fresh air is drawn in from the same area as the wiper motor area, albeit the width of the windshield.

Uh, why remove pine straw and leaves? Well, the fan intake on my '99 grand am does not have a screen covering the intake hole. There is a wide mesh on the plastic cowl, but the mesh's "netting" is too wide to screen out leaves and straw, hence, it is sucked into the fan's intake and you get a noise and vibration.

You can also remove the glove box to access the air intake hole for the fan, thus getting to the fan, but it is easier via the cowl access.

Anyway, all that is said to make me think the smell is emanating from the engine area and the fresh air intake is drawing it in.

So...., what could it be? Well, just a drop of oil coming from a valve cover dripping on the exhaust could cause it. And it could be very minor and unseen. It could be from the back. Just a small drop every five minutes could cause a smell. The oil may not start dripping until the motor is running meaning that nothing would appear on the driveway.

I don't think this is typical of GrandAms in general although in the old days, one was always told to have the valve covers and cylinder heads retorqued every 30,000 miles or so. I don't see that in the manuals today.

I agree about the magazines and the GrandAm... I have the SE and would have preferred the GT, although the GT wasn't available at the time. The cladding is ugly on the SE and looks nice on the GT.

But, my SE's cladding, as I have mentioned in earlier messages during Whacko's tantrum's, bears the mark of protecting the door panels from Wal-Mart gorilla parkers. Otherwise, the doors would like like the dimples of a golf ball due to the door dings.

I too enjoy the appearance of the Alero, but I don't care for its interior. I really like the GrandAm's interior and would be happy with an Alero that is sported up---with the GrandAm interior. grinnnnn. I don't care for the tail lights, either. But, it is a good looking car.

In summary:
    Anyway, for me, the GrandAm GT is a beautiful car and just-looks-better than my SE. It certainly looks better than the nice looking Alero. This is one of those nit-picking things.

The oil smell has got to be from an obscure oil drip from the motor. I'd bet retightning to torque specs the valve covers would end it. Of course, this assumes the gaskets are aligned and ok.

BTW, I'm almost at 54 thousand miles on my GrandAm.
  • Options
    The oil smell is very wierd. The smell diminishes the more miles i put on it after an oil change. once the oil is changed, the smell is back at full force. At first i thought it was that the dealer was doing a lousy job of not spilling oil all over when changing it, but someone else on this board who experiences the same issue says that even a meticulous oil change will still result in the return of the smell.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the SE's cladding is ugly, just not as asteticaly pleasing as the GT's cladding:) If you look at all the old GAs, they had a similar cladding to the current SEs. Not sure why this cladding is branded as ruining the looks of the car when they have always been there is some form. (here is the cue for whacko to appear:) )

Overall, I am happy with my car. Sure, I am finding I like the looks of the GT more and more, but beggers can't be choosers.
  • Options
    I prefer to read Edmunds' review of the Grand Am instead of Consumers Reports. When they ranked it compared to other cars in its class - it kicked butt. They didn't like the styling, and that's the only reason it finished a close second place. But for performance, the Edmund reviewers were absolutely amazed at the Grand Am. It blew away all the competetion. Of particular note was the excellent handling capabilities of the vehicle, in which they could not get the car to break loose around turns, no matter how hard they tried!
  • Options
    You know, if its so ugly, why does it sell so well?

Mine happens to be the same color as Edmund's test car....I love my Grand Am, cladding and all!!!

Hey guys...need some help.

My new Nissan Crew Cab is going to be delivered sometime this week. I have been preparing my spouse for its arrival. We have a 2 car garage (or carhole as I like to call it), meaning one of the vehicles is going to have to stay outside. She thinks it should be the Grand Am. I think it should be the Prelude. Neither of us think it should be the Crew Cab.

Any advice you can give me to win this argument? I seem to be losing this battle...
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I love the fact that the Edmunds folks lost the "subject" lines on the messages.

jkidd2-

Scientifically: the car with the lightest colored paint can be kept outside. The lighter the pigment, the more light is reflected and less heat build up on the paint.

Un-scientifically: the wife is always right.
  • Options
    jkidd2-

It also depends if you use your "carhole" for things other than just parking your cars. if you use it as a workshop as well, keep the smaller of the two (the prelude i would think) in the garage so there is more space to move around. Although, TC makes a very good arguement in his second point:)
  • Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Besides the careful clean up of dripped oil after changes, I've also tried improving the rubber weather stripping that is attached to the spot weld flange right below the cowl. I noticed that it wouldn't stay on the flange, especially on the right side. I crimped the metal spring inside the rubber tighter with pliers and now it stays on good. No change to the oil smell though. It seems to me to only occur on fresh air, so I'm assuming that it is coming through the cowl vents. It's definately worse after oil changes. I'm going to try to block off some of the cowl vents and see if I can pinpoint it but I haven't gotten around to it.
    I do have a very small oil leak on the right side of the intake manifold in the lifter galley as I posted before. I can see tiny oil bubbles coming out when the engine is warmed up and running. It is very small, and really only just makes the area dirty. I don't see how it could be dripping on the exhaust, since it runs down the front of the head and seems to collect on the block. I said before that I was going to try to seal it externally, but again I've not found the time. Also, I noticed that it's hard to get to with the pump in the way.
  • Options
    yes, the smell only occurs while the fresh air is on. let me know if anything you try works (or doesn't work so i don't repeat it).

I just bought my car (used) this winter, so I haven't had a chance to run the AC until recently. when i did, the AC didn't feel much colder that the fresh air vent. Do all the GA's have a weak AC system, or do i have a problem.

thanks
  • Options
    jdexter23 wrote on April 17:

> Do all the GA's have a weak AC system, or do i have a problem.

You may have a problem. My '99 GrandAm kept the interior very comfortable (in the 70s) last August in Texas' 118 degree heat. Admittedly, I kept it running in recirculate mode rather than fresh air.
  • Options
    My '99 GA's air works great.....and it gets hot as hell here.

I've never experienced the oil smell either....
  • Options
    whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    Since the Honda Prelude is a much better car than the Grand Am, I would let the Prelude stay in the garage and the GA out in the street.
  • Options
    I agree the Prelude is a better car...but I don't know what it is about it....I have no "bond" with it....We could get rid of it tomorrow, and I wouldn't miss it @ all.

I don't know what it is about our Prelude...my better half just adores it....I can't seem to get excited about it. Its looking like the Grand Am will be spending its night's outside....not real happy about it...but...the things we do to keep peace in the house.
  • Options
    I guess I was right, my "spouse is always right" proposition prevailed.

My wife has trained me well 8-P
  • Options
    I've always kind of looked @ the garage as "MY refuge"....I have no rights in the house...so I spend most of my time piddling around in the garage....now, I can't even call it my own!
  • Options
    ...have you thought about finishing off the basement and putting a wet bar and pool table in?

Just a suggestion to claim back some territory!
  • Options
    rpm9rpm9 Member Posts: 73
    Your wife is one smart woman. She chooses the Prelude to be in the garage which means she's choosing to protect the wiser investment. Good for her!
  • Options
    tony, I have put an old chair and a little TV out there...its the only place I can sit and not be scolded for being a slob...slowly but surely she's moving me out of the house completely....

rpm9...okay....you sound just like her....it has nothing to do with the investment...its how I FEEL about the car that matters to me. No car is an investment...unless your gonna keep it 30 years.

I'm picking up the Crew Cab tomorrow, just in time for Friday Night Fights!
  • Options
    bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    I agree with you bro, consumer reports sucks. I firmly believe GM did something to them a long time ago, because they constantly rate their cars as fair to poor. My GaGt is great, now have close to 30,000 miles and have had no problems. They also rate the Grand Prix as an unreliable car, which is what I am going to get next, and my mom has had 3 in a row, A 93, a 97, and a 2000. All of them have been great cars. I gave up on consumer reports when I was 25, about 5 years ago.
  • Options
    I think it's because GM has had such a questionable reliability history with their cars, that Consumer Reports gave up on them.
  • Options
    Whacko sez: "I think it's because GM has had such a questionable reliability history with their cars, that Consumer Reports gave up on them. "

Actually, not just GM but the entire American big three. I think in 1985, that began turning around and you see some near-equal quality of the big three with the Japanese cars of the era.

But this even FURTHER faults Consumers Reports as being non-biased. If, as Whacko implies that historical reputation causes Consumers Report to not be objective, then Consumers Report is not a credible reviewing and evaluation journal.

Personally, I think that Consumer Reports is an incredible joke because I hardly see any non-bias in their reports, whether it be from their evaluation of computers, stereos, or with General Motors.

I never thought, that as Whacko implies, that an alleged historical reputation would color Consumer Reports and dilute their evaluation, but he really nailed it on the head. I trust them even less now that he brought that to my attention.

;>)
  • Options
    harvey67harvey67 Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a 2001 Grand Am GT sedan yesterday with the solid value package. I love the looks of this car with the 50 series tires and the chrome wheels, the sunroof, and the 3.4L Ram Air engine with the dual exhaust.

HOWEVER.... some problems have already developed and I haven't had the car 12 hrs yet:

#1) the brakes make this scraping sound. I test drove a couple of Grand Am GT and they all had this problem, and both sales people said that it's because it's been sitting for a while and the rotors developed some surface rust on them and it will take some time to wear that off. Is this true?

#2) after the sales person delivered my car to my apt., and I got in it, I flipped on the overhead light and the whole light assembly fell out. I immediately went back to the dealer and talked to the manager and they fixed it right away. They said that a lot of those cars have weak clamps and that I'll have to bring it back to have an updated stronger clamp put in. Anyone else had this problem?

I hope these initial quality problems aren't signs of things to come.
  • Options
    > I hope these initial quality problems aren't signs of things to come.

This is one of those "be a pain with the dealer's service shop guy" situations. I'd like to line out my experience at my dealer. I have no idea if this is typical or other dealers. The purpose is to determine if a car's problems are with the car or the dealer.

The make-ready guy is supposed to make a cursory exam of the car and the sales droid makes another.

I walked with my sales droid to my car PRIOR to the shop going through it. I noticed that the very first thing my sales droid did as he went through the interior was to go through the plastic items, making sure they were snug. He checked the sun visors and the glove box door (opening/closing, checking the way it closes) and then the console door.

He then checked the dome light housing. He then checked the plastic pieces on the roof posts. I saw several plastic items not attached, in protective wrapping, taped to parts of the interior for assembly later. Some items certainly had to be "snapped" in.

His entire exam on the interior took about two minutes. Then the make-ready guy would do the same thing, supposedly.

He and I then did a walk-through on the exterior and we did the door fit, hinge operations and then sheet metal/facade alignment. He then eyeballed the car for dings and nicks.

This entire operation took about five minutes. In the meantime, he was doing small-talk to me.

We didn't really see anything but the car went into the shop for alignment check, fluid stuff, and other items that took about an hour. Then the body shop did the waxing thing and interior clean out and preparation (mats, tape protection removal, etc.)

The car was really spiffy and appeared tight. At nearly 54 thousand miles, it STILL appears to be a well-built car. But, I'm sure that ritual prior to being released to me, made sure it was tight. Those plastic items, such as pillar plastic and the dome light do indeed just snap in and some of those items are installed by the dealer.

Now then, those brakes. Those cursed brakes. I have read on many of the boards of noisy and vibrating, chattering brakes. At about 25k, I started to get the chattering brakes. The dealer did the usual thing, such as replacing the rotors and the pads. And, at about 40k, the chattering returned.

I don't know the ultimate CORRECT solution for this because I'm not sure what the problem is. But, I do understand that grease spots from contamination on the roads can create difference of adhesion on the rotors.

But, here is the REALLY WEIRD THING. At the 40k mark on my car, I decided to just get some very cheap pads until I could figure out what to do with my chattering brakes. The existing pads were paper thin. The cheapo pads were under $20.00 and were just bought by me to buy some time until I could figure out what to do.

Surprisingly, the chattering STOPPED, even though I didn't take the rotors in to be turned. In fact, 14k later, I still have yet to have any chattering, in spite of those cheapo pads.

Now, they spray black dust all over the place, but stopping is better and the chattering is gone.

But, they are NOISY. Sounds like they are rubbing.

So, without really being able to draw any conclusions, I'm certain that replacement pads can solve the noise, chattering, dust problems. The question is, just WHICH pad is the best?

Anyway, these are my observations with this remarkable car. Also, I really think that your dealer's responses to you can turn your GrandAm into a GrandAm or a YUGO.
  • Options
    Ok, y'all... In honor of Whacko's return, the one who detests the Grand Am side door cladding and who probably prefers the waaaay kewl Wal-Mart parking lot dimpled door dings that would appear on smooooooth styled doors that are without cladding, I have enclosed two photos in this message.

The style guys who never drive in parking lots are going to love this. This first photo is of my GrandAm circa Fall '98. The side mirrors are still black. Local body shop charged $50 to paint them red a few months back. Anyway, this is the new Grand Am SE complete with stock side cladding:

Nothing remarkable here. It does have some good old Texas rood junk on it from our unpaved roads.

Now, below this is what PhotoShop did to the same photo. Heh!

After doing that, I was tempted to put about 100 door dings in the photo, but didn't have the heart to mess up the Whacko-smooooth doors.

--Larry

• Options
    The GA looks terrible without any side mouldings but the overdone cladding looks terrible as well. Too bad Pontiac couldn't have placed a more well-balanced door-guard moulding on the Grand Am. The car would've been a cosmetic masterpiece!
  • Options
    Harvey....I just picked up my new '01 Nissan Crew Cab (talk about side-cladding!) on Friday and when I took it for a spin around the dealer (I special ordered it, so it was my first drive) I touched the brakes and got the grinding noise too. I mentioned it to the dealer and got the same response...I have put about 70 miles on it now and its not making the noise anymore...so I am assuming he was right.

I had to have my front brake pads replaced on my GA @ 30k miles. I love my GA...side cladding and all!

Irymal...hey buddy! I wish I could see these pictures...I keep getting the box and a little red X in the left top of the box, but no picture! I've tried refreshing the page...but it hasn't helped.
  • Options
    harvey67harvey67 Member Posts: 9
    Yeah the brakes seem to be getting quieter after about 300 miles for me. The car had been sitting in the lot for a while (4 months minimum). As far as my dome light goes when I woke up Saturday morning it was down again this time with no assistance. Since the dealer's shop wasn't open on Saturday I'm going to have to call Monday morning and put some heat on them.

I have a 2001 Nissan King Cab and I know all about the oversized fender flares and fake rivets and such. Good luck on your Crew Cab...so far my king cab is doing nicely after 8000 miles, although I have the 2.4L 4 not the 3.3L 6.
  • Options
    > lrymal...hey buddy! I wish I could see these pictures..

Let me know if you want me to e-mail those to you.

And, I agree with Whaco about the styling of the SE's cladding design. I also tried a door guard molding, but really couldn't find one to play with that I like via Photoshop. I would think that a door guard molding would be integrated within the door's design rather than just a stick-on piece.

The cladding design is really something in the car's personality. I much prefer the GT's style. I played with Photoshop and the GT cladding, but the match up just doesn't do well with the existing SE front and rear nose cap. Amazingly, a SE with the side cladding removed is actually feasible since there is paint underneathe the cladding. Before anyone asks, the reason I purchased a SE as opposed to the GT, is that the GT was not in product in early '98.

Getting back to the cladding, if you remove it, the smooth style guys might like the design, but, you lose the ding protection---terribly.

I was sorta tempted to spend some bucks and replace the SE's cladding with the GT's as this car of mine continues to "mature" (grow old). It honestly is the best car I have ever owned, dependability and tightness-wise.

In reality, the GT's styling is just "boss" so us SE'ers need to come up with some other ways of trying to personalize the SE to a "better" design. The only thing I have done on mine is to have the mirrors painted.
  • Options
    iwantagagt2iwantagagt2 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking about a 95 GA t. It has 122,000 miles . Anyone know if it's worth considering . Thank you