Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    Life is good right now, but I'm ready for spring. I haven't had time to X-C ski since we started having kids, so I haven't really enjoyed all the snow we had this year. I'm just waiting for the ice to break up so I can get the canoe out. :-) If I can find a partner (my wife was smart enough to decline) I'm going to try to get a Paddle & Portage t-shirt this year.

Now for something on-topic - I wish I would have bought those heavy-duty rubber floor mats this winter. Last weekend I vaccumed the Quest out, and I practicaly had to shovel all the salt and sand out on the driver's side.

Dave
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Dave, I took up downhill again this year after a 25 year hiatus. Remember my $10 metal "canted" mudflaps? Two of them have now ripped off:-). The $40 rubber molded ones would have been a much wiser investment. Eat some fish for me tonight!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aft
  • suginamisuginami Member Posts: 2
    I have a 93 GXE that I purchased in 1997 with about 58,000 miles on it. It now has 131,000. I purchased it from the original owner who is an acquaintance of mine and he maintained it meticulously as have I. I have had some problems with it, some of which are normal wear and tear, some of which I never expected:
    1. The studs on the exhaust manifold busted at about 95,000 miles, which cost me about $400.00 to replace the studs and the bolts. The leak was still apparent, and after checking, the manifold itself was cracked, which cost about $300.00 to replace.
    2. At 115,000 miles, I noticed a vibration through the pedals and floor board. The motor mounts were worn out and replaced.
    3. At 116,000 miles, the rear wheel brake cylinders were leaking and replaced. I also fixed the driver side door lock which failed and caused the door to be permenantly stuck.
    4. At 117,000 miles the front struts were worn out and I replaced them with a high end KYB strut which really improved the overall ride.
    5. At 125,000 miles one of the front headlights burned out. The plastic lenses had really yellowed, so I replace them with the newer version that came out in 97-98? The computer at the parts counter showed they used the same wiring harness plug-in, but when I installed them they didn't work. I took it to an electrician who charged me $40.00 to rewire them. It seems the ground wire was in a different position. I love the new headlights, though. They have the "cut diamond" look and give off superior white light.
    4. At 120,000 miles, many of the positions on the intermittent wiper knob failed to work. Also, the end of the stalk that you push in failed to operate the wiper washer fluid spray. I had the whole lane change / wiper stalk replaced at $125.00.
    5. About 6 weeks ago, my fuel vent hose was leaking fuel in my garage. I had it replace. About 2 weeks ago, I got the recall notice. Luckily, they are reimbursing me.
    6. Passenger side power door lock doesn't operate occasionally. I will probably have to replace the switch eventually, but am waiting for it to go out.
    7. My gas mileage is average about 20.5 mpg. My best tank ever was 25.3 mpg which I got on the way back from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, all freeway driving.

I don't mind most of the expenses, but I am pretty unhappy that I had to throw money at the exhaust manifold and studs, which I never expected. Also, the few electrical problems are a minor irritation.

Even with the manifold being replaced and the studs, etc. I still hear a very minor exhaust leak. Any ideas?
  • sopmansopman Member Posts: 46
    I have a 99 Quest with 27,000 miles. On a snowy road when I hit the brakes and the front tires lock up there is a grinding noise coming from the right front wheel. Really loud. But on dry pavement there is no noise and I've hit the brakes hard. The pads are OK. Could it be the anti-lock brake mechanism?? As anyone else ever have this problem??
    Sounds like the ABS to me. Though, if your front wheels are really locking up there might be a problem. The ABS should prevent this.

If it's the ABS you should also get a vibration back through the brake pedal when it's working.

Dave
  • grammy1grammy1 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had trouble with their headlights on 99 Quest Van? We have had to have ours replaced 2 times now. Yesterday the mechanic said the sockets showed signs of "melting". Said he had one other van a couple of months ago with same problem and replaced the bulb sockets and that seemed to solve the problem. Just curious if anyone else has had to have their light sockets replaced and if that solved the problem.
  • timberguytimberguy Member Posts: 7
    Yes, i had a transmission go on my '94 Quest. Luckily (i guess), it had only 50K miles on it, and was still under the 5yr/60K powertrain warranty. The dealer paid for the whole thing, more or less graciously. He also denied there was a general problem with Quest transmissions, saying he had only seen "one or two." I now have 118K on the Quest and it is holding up. I replaced the radiator last month after i noticed it was losing fluid. Mechanic found a hole in the bottom. Little else has gone wrong. I did have the throttle body cleaned a couple of years ago... Supposedly, a guy at work had a transmission go out on his Quest; he sold it. But i did not speak to him about it, so that is just hearsay.
  • ricobeachricobeach Member Posts: 29
    For the many of you who have had your exhaust manifold bolts break, has anyone had luck with getting Nissan to agree fix the problem for free or at a reduced cost? Mine just broke on my 94 Quest at 70000mi and so far Nissan has not done anything other than to say that they are investigating my complaint. I am also filing a complaint with NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Admin) to see if they would investigate whether this is a safety problem (possibility of exhaust getting into passenger cabin). If so, they have the ability to force Nissan to do a recall. I would strongly encourage others to complain at their website (www.nhtsa.dot.gov) if they feel this problem is a defect and could be a safety problem (ie. carbon monoxide in the vehicle).

For those who have paid to have the bolts fixed, what types of auto shops can do this work? My dealer wants $1500. I definitely plan on shopping around for other prices, but don't know where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am in the D.C. area so labor rates are higher than other parts of the U.S.

Thanks,

Rico
    Ask around to find a good independent mechanic. That's the best way to find someone good.

I'll bet there are a couple of good independent shops in the DC area that specialize in imports. They may even have done exhaust stud work before on Nissans.

I'd be curious to know what is all included in the dealer's quote. Is this to replace all of the studs, or just the broken ones? The labor must really be a crap shoot, because how long it will take really depends... The studs may have broken off flush with the block and need to be drilled out, others that are OK may break off when they try to take them out, and if they break off an EZ out in one of the studs, all bets are off. I bet they quoted it high because they don't really want to do it.

Anyway, try to find a good independent shop and you should be good. You might want to search for the Car Talk web site. They used to have a database of "recommended" mechanics for different areas all over the country.

Dave
  • gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    I would delve into the emissions performance warranty (which I think is 8/80k for my 01). A broken bolt would cause a manifold leak, violating Fed emission standards. The manufacturer should be then obliged to correct this. Take this argument to the dealer.
    Good luck.
  • ricobeachricobeach Member Posts: 29
    Dhoff, thanks for the mechanic advice (will look at cartalk website). I did finally get a response from Nissan yesterday. They have agreed to pay for half of the repair at the dealer. The dealer also came down a bit. Now I am looking at about $600 for the repair (my cost). This will include replacement of all 12 studs (drilled out if necessary) and new manifolds. This doesn't seem too bad especially after reading that other people had only a few bolts replaced and paid almost as much. This dealer did plead my case to Nissan and I think that they were the reason that the company agreed to help out. I still think that bolts are a design and safety defect that should be recalled, but I could have been in a worse position had Nissan said no to partial payment.

As for GASGUZZ's statement about the emission's warranty, I did look in my manual last week for any chance that it would be covered. If I remember correctly, the emission warranty only lasted through the 50K or 60K mark. My van just broke the 70K barrier. Glad to hear that the newer models have longer emission warranties. I wish the American makers (like my Chevy truck) would lengthen their warranties to compete with the imports. I've already had my Chevy in for more warranty work in the first year than I have had on the Quest in it's entire lifetime. I am starting to worry about the 3yr/36K warranty expiration on the Chevy.

Thanks for both of your responses,

Rico
  • melissamelissa Member Posts: 27
    To all,

I'm the Director of Town Hall at Edmunds.com. ABC is interested in doing a story about "secret
    warranties," where automakers notify dealers but not customers about quality issues. ABC news would like to speak with consumers who have experienced the above scenario. It sounds like many of you have! I particular would like to find some people in the Southern California area. If you are interested, please email me. You can find my email address in my profile. Thanks ahead of time.
  • jrosalesjrosales Member Posts: 5
    I just bought this van used, with 43,000 miles on it. I love it so far, the only thing is that the rear windshield wiper doesn't work, nor does the cleaner come out for the rear windshield. The defroster does work. Any ideas?
  • orcinusorcinus Member Posts: 2
    Help! I have a 97 Villager with 46K on it. Its been trouble free and I've enjoyed it, but I'm selling
    because I need an all wheel drive vehicle.

Out of the blue, the van has started to vibrate very heavily. This happens only at freeway speeds, and the vibration is so severe it feels as if the entire vehicle is falling apart.

This happened on the way to a prospective buyer's house yesterday. It occurred again on out "test drive" (great timing!!!), but it did not occur on the way home. On the way home I went in and out of overdrive, put the pedal to the metal and generally tried to provoke the vibration. I got nothing. This vehicle has been well maintained and had its 45K service. Its been driven mostly on the freeway - the only unusual use is that I have driven it with tire chains on - always for relatively short distances and at speeds under 35 mph.

I understand there've been problems with engine bolt mounts and exhaust manifolds...what are the symptoms in those cases?

I'm also aware that there's a TSB from June 99 titled "Noise, Vibration, Harshness - TSB special"

This vibration is incredibly severe....I've never experienced anything like it. I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow (God help me!!!), but if anyone has any thoughts about what this might be, I'd love to have them

Thanks

Julia
  • chkmaqchkmaq Member Posts: 2
    The 94 original SONY CD player of my 95 Mercury Villager isn't working anymore. The
    connector and the connection between the following Printed Circuit Boards is out of order:
    SONY 1645 730 13 and ALPS 56AAA1605A. I'm looking for a cheap solution to replace it (i.e finding a used one or parts from a used one).If you have any tips or proposal please contact me.
    Thanks for your help
    Charles
  • burilovoburilovo Member Posts: 1
  • orcinusorcinus Member Posts: 2
    Actually, I did have the tires balanced the next day....I guess I'm wondering whether a tire or multiple tire imbalance would result in such severe vibration that disappeared when the car was driving an hour later....

I know rough terrain and/or tire chains can knock those little balancing weights right off, so I'm hoping that's what it is. The axles are going to be checked tomorrow....
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You may want to try reposting your message in the Audio system upgrades discussion topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board. Someone may be able to help you there.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • garya1garya1 Member Posts: 1
    I experienced the same thing with my 95 Quest. friend suggested the tire might have a broken internal steel belt. Sure enough I changed the tires (it was time anyway) and the problem went away immediately.

Whoulda thunkit?
  • bigleaf1bigleaf1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello to all! I just purchased a 1997 Quest GXE after a whirlwind of auto mistakes over the last 4 months... 2000 Toyota Sienna (re-purchased under lemon law) 1999 Dodge Durango (sold after going bankrupt paying for gasoline) and now this. I really like this van. It does have 80K on it already, but it seems to have been maintained quite nicely by the original owner. Here are my issues and hopefully you folks can assist me with the same good advice I see others getting. The rear A/C blows ice cold and hard like it should.. but the front A/C just blows hard... not really all that cold, regardless of setting. The only other problem that I have is, I guess, a front suspension issue. Before the vehicle gets truly "warmed up" it sounds like the front struts (or something in that area)really struggle to provide any cushion... imagine a go-cart hitting a pot hole. Again, after it's warm -it really isn't an issue. Can this be the struts or something else? I'm terrified of dealers and have been for years (which is why I buy all my vehicles from a wholesale friend of mine). Again, thanks to any and all who will respond. Oh yes, one other thing: is it worth my time to re-lubricate the sliding door and the sun-roof? they sound a little gritty (but not bad). I look forward to hearing from you.
  • sopmansopman Member Posts: 46
    I have a '99 Quest. Can someone recommend an oil filter brand?? I've been using Fram. Don't think I'll use them anymore from what I've been reading.
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    lose your wholesale friend.
    01 Merc-VillSport...
    Purolator Premium L14612. I don't like this as the can is short. I've talked to Purolator and the replacement for the 2001 catalog is L14610. Accordingly, it is in production and warehoused but not stocked (yet?) by the parts dealers. I will be checking if I can order it from Advance Auto (where I shop). If this is not available at the time I do an oil change (It's only got 1900 mi.), I will use the AC-Delco PF-2057 Duraguard.
    There is no PureOne version from Purolator.
    I don't know who makes the Nissan filter. You can use the Linc-Merc Motorcraft filter.
    Or, the Mobil-1 M-110 can be had for some $10.
    Enjoy.
  • nickjdnickjd Member Posts: 1
    I have a a 1993 Nissan quest van ( 234,000 kms now ) that has an intermittent problem when I am driving along the highway .
    At aprox 110 -120 KPH and the revs are aprox 2400 ram I push down on the gas pedal slowly , nothing happens and suddenly
    the revs jump up to over 3000 ram and the van accelerates Also if the revs are about 2700 you suddenly feel
    the van loose power till about 2400 ram and it jumps up to about 2700 ram( gas pedal held at the same postion ) .
    It doesn't happen all the time . The gas line filter has been changed but did not resolve the problem . The idle is ok .
    Any suggestions would be appreciated .
  • equimanequiman Member Posts: 12
    My 95 Villager emits a strange noise when applying the brakes while in reverse. It is most notable when cold-starting the vehicle and backing out of my slightly inclined driveway. When the brakes are applied it makes a strange noise that appears to be coming from the rear with an accompanying shuddering sensation. It only happens when in reverse and thus is not a real problem. I am just concerned that it may be the beginning of a bigger problem. I had the brakes worked on but the problem still exists.
    Anyone out there have the same problem or know what this might be?

All in all, my Villager has been great. I bought it used with about 40,000 miles and have put on an additional 50,000 miles in three years without any major problems. Although it is slightly on the small side for a mini-van, it has been an excellent vehicle and I will definitely consider another Villager/Quest.
  • cdmac36cdmac36 Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2001 QUEST DE with 7200 miles and just noticed the 2nd row passenger seat belt has partially ripped. This just happens to be the seat that my son's car seat is buckled into. Has anyone else had a problem with their seat belts? Any info would be appreciative. Thanks!
  • shantonshanton Member Posts: 5
    melissaHOST--
    I'd love to talk about secret warranties. That's how I got Nissan to pay for half my manifold repairs, though I had to argue with them for a while and they never really admitted to anything. I'm still waiting for a recall eventually. I did complain to NHTSA.
  • chkmaqchkmaq Member Posts: 2
    The original CD player of my 95 Mercury Villager is out of order. The Repair shop wants $358 for a new one. Does anybody have a cheaper solution to propose? Thanks
  • wg45678wg45678 Member Posts: 55
    Hi,

New to the forum, own 2k Maxima and 93 Quest. Nissan's finally owned up to the fuel vent hose splitting problem and issued a recall. I've spend about $300 having the problem repaired twice in the last 3 years ($220 at the dealer and $70 at my neighborhood mechanic who figured out how to replace the hose without dropping the fuel tank).

Wondered if anyone had been successful getting Nissan to pick up some of the cost for prior repairs now that they've issued the recall.
  • pdigpdig Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in buying a 1999 Nissan Quest SE,
    but have heard mixed reviews on their reliability
    and many problems that some owners have had. I would like to hear from current/past owners,
    their opinions on the cars and whether they would
    buy another? Your help in this matter is greatly
    appreciated
    Thanks
    Lots of messages to scroll back through here. You may also want to look at the discussions in Nissan Quest V and Mercury Villager.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    What is an "original CD-Player"? Is that an in-dash single player (or an under-dash/seat Changer)? Do you have steering wheel controls?
    01 Merc Vill-Sport. No mechanical probs here (yet). What are your other candidates? If you check out the Ody and Sienna, they have problems too. For sure, even a brand new car won't be perfect (it's realtive to your criteria).
    Pull the VIN and research the TSBs.
    Good luck.
  • bigleaf1bigleaf1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Quest that has ice cold rear air but warmish front air....any ideas?
  • pdigpdig Member Posts: 2
    Hello again,

I have been doing some research on the 99 Quest SE, seems this year has several recalls. I found a 99 quest with CD/Sunroof/tv package etc cloth interior with 35k miles, the dealer is asking $15,995. I have checked the Edmunds and blueblook value for this car with this equiptment and it shows it should be selling for at least $19,000
    Anyone have any ideas as to why a dealership would be asking $3000 less than they could? Should
    this car be avoided. I appreciate your input.

Thanks
    bigleaf1; it's usually the rear air that fails. Take a look at Steve Cutchen's page and browse the subtopics.

pdig: Since the Quest is going to be discontinued in its current form next year, and new ones are selling in the low 20's, your dealer may just be trying to blow his old stock out.

There have been 4 recalls on that model (seat belts, gas hose, steering rack and tail light sockets). Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins, and Other Good Stuff. Did I mention that there's a '99 GXE in my driveway and it's been good to 50k (touch wood!)?

Steve
    Host
    after we got our 01 Merc VillSport (leather/cd-changer/premium stereo/two-tone) for 20,150.
  • cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    I just got a letter from Ford about a recall for the switch in the wiper motor of our "99" Villager. They ordered the part and will call when it arrives.Also will get a loner for the half day it will be in the shop.
  • tat5tat5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying an '01 Villager because I need some cargo room, people room and trailer towing capacity, all at different times, plus there is a great rebate on them right now. I see the Villager Class II trailer towing option allows 3500 pounds. I have a 2000 pound boat. Anyone had any problems with this? Does this option come with the hitch & wiring ready to go?
    Interesting; it's not in the NHTSA recall database yet. There was a common problem with the Villager/Quest wiper stalk that year (phantom wiper) and mine was replaced under warranty. I guess that's the same switch?

Steve
    Host
  • cathangercathanger Member Posts: 2
    Wondering what questionable news Sopman #625 has read about Fram filters. My new Villager is due first service and a Fram is my usual choice.
    Lots of controversy about the quality of Fram vs. other brands. I suspect that Sopman has read through the Oil Filter Brands and Types message board.

Steve
    Host
  • cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    It was recall 00B40 ( they kept the letter from Ford or I may have been able to tell you more) replaced Multifuction switch. also added Friction Modifier to the Transmission. all under warranty. "99" Villager / 28000 mi.
    That's the switch that died on my Quest.

Steve
    Host
  • nycommuter1nycommuter1 Member Posts: 1
    After spending many nights pouring over your "Edmunds" and previous and current owners reviews on Mini-vans, I decided to purchase the Nissan Quest because for all it offers you can't beat the price and it doesn't make you feel like you're in a mini-van. I must admit my first choice was the Honda Odyssey only because my prior auto was an Accord and it never let me down even after commuting approx. 350 miles a week. But I found the dealers were not in a negotiating mood which turned me off. I noticed that my 2001 Quest occasionally will after turning the ignition make a weird noise, could it be the starter? It only makes this noise once after turning it on and won't re-occur through out the day . Has anyone else had this problem? Also I want to purchase the Fog lights that the SE model comes with but the dealer wants close to $375.00 for them including the assembly kit. Has anyone found them for less or can suggest an after market fog-light that fits perfectly on the opening provided? Thanks.. Sorry about the lengthy mail.
  • slappslapp Member Posts: 1
    Could you possibly elaborate a little on deal you got on your 01VillSport.Did the price you stated include any rebates or a trade-in? When and where did you buy?
    I am considering the same purchase and would appreciate any info you could share.
  • donnabzydonnabzy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a GXE brand new in 8/99. Immediately I had grinding brakes and was told "Maximas and Quests just do that due to their weight. It's noise.." and they told me it did NOT affect functionality, only the noise. (Great PR for them, me driving it with no plates yet and grinding brakes.) In October, they finally relented and agreed to use us as a guinea pig and try a new type of brake pad. No grinding for a while, but constant squeaking when I stopped, which they say cannot be helped. I've had it in no less than 6 times for checks for squeaking and grinding since, and they clean and send us on our way. They told us we'd be able to differentiate between bad brakes and just noise -- however, today we find out that at 10,300 miles, the brake pads have only 2 millimeters left on them and the rotors 'are blue' and need to be turned. They are stating I "ride my brakes" (which I do not) or that 'more than average city driving' will cause this. We believe neither, and are positive this all relates to the prior problems with the brakes. Anyone else experience this? I do not feel safe with a vehicle that I cannot tell if the brakes are going bad, particularly since I drive around 4 small children daily. They are repairing it free as a 'courtesy.' What are my options? I no longer want the vehicle.

Also, the doors stick when I wash it or it rains, it squeaks going into third gear, the 'thunk' when I turn and hit a bump simultaneously is annoying (they've fixed this twice, by making 'adjustments') and the numerous rattles amaze me. It's had 3 recalls, and I'm sure they'll find more to come. I'll never buy one again. The morning after I drove it home (finished transaction at 1130pm) we found bumper damage from when they drove it out to me, and they had to do body work and painting *twice* to repair it. They had it more than me for the first two weeks I owned it.

Oddly enough -- we bought two brand new Nissan vehicles on the same day. Big mistake.
  • wg45678wg45678 Member Posts: 55
    My '93 Quest has always made a grind/crunch/squeal noise just as you come to a stop. However, it's been from the rear drum brakes, not the front disk. Blow the dust out of the drum brakes, it goes away for a while then comes back.

Blue disks and early wearout is another matter though. If you're not riding the brakes, I'd insist they go through the entire brake system. Something is keeping the front calipers binding on the rotors. That eats gas, burns up the brakes, and probably is causing the noise because the brake pads are getting glazed. Ever notice them glowing at night? Or realistically, ever notice an acrid odor from them after driving?

They're giving you a line of bull. Take it to another shop, talk to the manager, or call you Nissan zone rep. Or all the above. Also have then check the wear on your rear brakes -- they may be screwed up as well.
    My '99 Quest GXE has started making an occasional squeal from the front when stopping. It's got 50k on it and the front pads were 80% worn about 5k ago, so it's about time for new pads. Before that, never any brake noise. Your van should still be under the 36/36 warranty so the dealer isn't being "courteous" by doing warranty work--they'll get reimbursed by Nissan.

Is the clunk from the rear? There's some info at Carl Haines' page about that.

Do you have another dealer you can get to? Yours doesn't sound too swift....

Steve
    Host
  • ebhndebhnd Member Posts: 1
    We had that thunk on our 96 Villager. Always when turning and going over a bump or pothole. The whole car would shudder for just a second. We had to have our wheel casings replaced on the front. They were cracked. We traded in the Villager not long ago. We had loved it, but it was beginning to need lots of expensive work.
This discussion has been closed.