Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Glad to help , but remember I am just letting you know one thing it could be. I can not say it is 100 % the sway bar links. Just what it sounds like to me.There is always the possibility it is the tie rods or rack and pinion . let me know what you find out from the dealer.
  • bb_lhs_2kbb_lhs_2k Member Posts: 94
    Well, I took my car in yesterday. I asked them to do a transmission fluid and filter change, flush the radiator and replace the coolant, change the spark plugs and air filter (tune-up), oil change and mainly to find the reason the car is making the cluncking noise (I said it might be the sway bar links or tie rods, they would have to check).

I got the car back today. All they did is replace the transmission fluid and refused to change the coolant or the spark plugs, they said that it didn't need it (suggested 100,000 miles).
    Is that true or should I insist on having it done?

As for the banging noise, they said that everything looks tight and nothing is worn, and that they could not duplicate the noise (like usual). I have a feeling this one is going to be hard to trace.
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    Chrysler does consider the Engine a 100,000 mile engine, that is no scheduled tune ups until 100,000 miles. That includes the anti-freeze and the platinum plugs and of course does not include oil changes.

However I would not go that long. Any engine will run better with a fresh set of plugs, not to mention it will more than likely be a pain for whoever changes the plugs at 100,000 due to electrolysis between the plug and the aluminum head.

How many miles do you have on the car? I have never heard of any dealer turning away work from a paying customer (regardless if they are cable of doing the work or not) or did you expect to have this covered by warranty?

As far as the knock in the front suspension, cannot give much advice on that. However on old technology suspensions that knock when backing up then moving forward that was typical of worn control arm bushings and/or ball joints; usually the lower control arm. Modern day strut suspensions do not have upper control arms or ball joints but do have lower control arms with their associated bushings.
    I have 29500 miles on the car, and although Chrysler considers the engine to be a 100,000 mile engine, I thought that preventive maintenance is a safe and cheap way to prolonge the life of the engine. And the dealer has a printed menu of what has to be done at certain mileages (everything I mentioned is supposed to be done at 30k miles).
    We discussed everything I wanted done, and how much each job would cost. I was ready to pay the whole thing gladly, but maybe they were too busy and didn't want to do it (even though they kept the car a day longer than promised). I was surprised too that they didn't want every penny I was willing to spend.
    I guess I'll try another 5 star dealer that's also near my house.
  • binubinu Member Posts: 81
    Chrysler definitely thinks that your spark plugs and coolant can go for 100,000 miles.
    I have 54,000 miles on my 98 concorde Lxi and my 5* dealer has tested the coolant and told me that it is good.
    I would think that you should change these at close to 75,000 miles.
    Moreover, I would also advise anyone to strictly follow the severe schedule in the vehicle manual and not the dealer's 'printed' schedule.
    Most dealers do not update their 'printed' menus regularly and in your case the dealer might have printed the menu before the new-generation (98 and later) Lh cars were introduced.
    I have had such an experience once and if I were to follow my dealer's printed schedule then I would have violated his newer schedule which he updated 2 years after the newer cars were introduced.
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess I could wait a while longer for a tune-up, since the engine is running really smooth. I change the engine oil and filter every 2500 miles anyway.

I must say that after the transmission service, I do notice a difference in the way the it shifts. It's much smoother than it was before the service, especially from 1st to 2nd. At slow speed it was kind of rough and a bit jerky shifting to 2nd gear but now I hardly feel it at any speed, and no hesitation or bangs at slow speeds. I really didn't expect that much of a difference in the way it behaves, but I'm really surprised (and happy).

Today was a very nice warm day, so I washed the car and used some Zaino. It still looks like day one, amazing. Now all I need is to get rid of that damn clunk noise, and we'll be perfect again :o)
  • marknelmarknel Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. Wondering if anyone is aware of or has this same problem.

Have a 2000 LHS with 31,000 miles on it. With the exception of an air conditioning pump, we have been okay mechanically on the car other than what are ultimately minor issues.

The "biggest" minor issue right now has to do with the Drivers side seat. I just recently had the car in for its 30K service and for the third time I have told them that drivers side seat is loose and moves forward noticeably when stopping. Twice previously they have replaced or tightened the seat track but now they are telling me that this is a "normal" condition. When I spoke with the service person, he told me that there was a communication from Chrysler about this. When I went down to pick up the car from the service, I spoke with the service manager and he assured me that the service person mis-understood him and that there was a service bulletin out for this problem and they would order the parts and call me. Well when I called back, the parts dept had no idea what I was talking about and in speaking with the service manager's boss, he has indicated to me that the service bulletin I was shown, was for the VOYAGER and not for the LHS. Needless to say, I'm feeling like a lot of smoke is being blown at me about this. I now have an appointment on the 26th with the district manager and we will see what happens there.

My whole point of this long message is to find out if anyone else is experiencing this same seat movement.

Thanks in advance!

Mark Nelson
    Cypress, CA
    marknel,

The seat movement is not normal! There are recent posts on the 300m site about this. Look at posts #13694 & #13691, you can ask specific questions to these posters. I have not had this problem, fingers crossed. One person said that the TSB calls out for new seat bolts - the ones that bolt the seat to the floor pan. Another poster said that they just had the whole power seat assembly replaced because the TSB did not solve their problem.
  • coronada2coronada2 Member Posts: 3
    I been having an issue with the front end of my 2000 LHS for quite some time. For some reason it is not maintaining the balance. Tires have been rotated and balanced at all times. Car is in great condition. I have also noticed that I have Goodyear tires on the car, just like the PT Cruisers do. My friends with the 300M have Michelins, which I believe should have been put on the car to begin with. I seem to have the "lower end" tires, for a "higher end" car. What do you folks have on your LHS's??? Any info is much appreciated...cause I have a few more issues I would like to discuss, once I get the tires settled. Also, I do have more mileage left on my tires. If anything, perhaps it's one bad tire, but I believe it's due to the fact that they put the wrong tires on the car. BTW...I have 23,380 miles on the car.
    I also am experiencing the same problem with a loose front seat. It's not really too bad, but I notice it and it shouldn't be happening. As well I am experiencing electrical problems. Every so often my headlights will just turn off and then back on again. I was following a friend once and she couldn't understand why I was "flashing my lights" to her; that was how bad it was. Unfortunately, or fortunately, it doesn't happen consistently; therefore, the dealership cannot do anything about it. Fortunately my plan is to keep the car another 2 years, right around my the time my extended warranty ends, and trade it in to a dealership for another car. Preferfably a different type. I don't think I would ever buy another Chrysler, unfortunately. I LOVE THE CAR, but hate the issues and HATE dealing with the "supposedly" FIVE STAR dealerships. They aren't treating me fairly, and have caught them in a multitude of lies, which I always bring to their attention. Any advice on this???
    I have heard that the problem is in the body controller, this computer controls the lights etc. You need to get the software updated (reflashed to an newer version) or have the controller changed.
  • binubinu Member Posts: 81
    I have the same issue of flashing headlights on my 98 concorde Lxi. Initially, I was worried that the headlights might fail while driving at night.
    But, this problem occurs only during the day. It has never happened in the night in the 4 years of ownership. With the headlight switch in the 'ON' position, the headlights would switch off, occasionally, for 2-3 seconds and then come back on. The intensity of the dash lights would also adjust accordingly when this happened, similar to turning the headlight knob off and on.
    I took the car a couple of times to the dealer.
    This problem never occurs when I am at the dealer.
    So, I just decided to ignore it rather than let the dealer experiment on my car.

I am inclined to believe that it is a software glitch because this behavior is seen only during the day. It is like the car forgets that it is a Concorde and not a 300M and therefore not supposed to have auto lights and turns the lights back on. If it were a loose connection issue then this problem would have happened in the night also.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    You're not alone on the Goodyear issue. Just say the word over on the 300M board and see how bad the responses speak of them. They're noisy and problematic, but the car has a few quirks too. A lot (and I mean a lot) of 300M's and LHS's have had vibration or pulling problems since production started in 1998. Mainly, yes, the tires and the Goodyears in particular seem to be the main causes or amplifiers of these problems.

From articles I've read recently, the common vibration and pulling problems are due to a design flaw of the LH cars. I remember, because it was talking about the 2004 LX cars and how it will be fixed with the new design. I'm not sure what the "flaw" in the design actually is, but I do know it causes a lot of problems and greef. Currently, on the 300M board, an owner is dealing with a constant vibration in his car that seems to be unfixable.

He's gone through new Goodyears, had the dealer say that a rim or two was bent and order new ones and it still vibrated. He went to Arbitration and won, and the dealer was ordered to fix the problem. His original dealer bought 4 new Continental tires and did an allignment but the vibration persisted. He then took it to a Dodge-only dealer that is supposedly experianced in the issue, and has fixed 9 of 10 previous cars with a vibration after Arbitration. So far, they alligned the car again and now put a new set of Michelins on the car and it still vibrates. The dealer has had the tires inspected and it was found that out of the Michelins, 3 of the 4 were defective! So now, there's another new set of tires due in tomorrow to try again.

As for your car seeming to not keep balanced, it's a somewhat common problem. If you're confidant in your dealer, have them take a look and see what they'll do. I know from our 2000 300M with the Eagle LSs, that it still has a constant vibration in the front end. We're tired of going to the dealer (several other problems) and are living with the shakes. I think what we need is a nice new set of quiet of treads and a proper and thorough allignment.
  • daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    My 99 LHS keeps its alignment, and doesn't suffer from that vibration.

-R
  • mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    Just had my transmission drained, flushed, and fluid replaced with ATF-4 at 41K miles. My car was built prior to July 1998 and had ATF3 still in it. Really had no problems other than the fact that the shift points were becoming noticeable, particularly into 4th.

Once the new fluid was installed, the transmission is much more smooth in shifting; seems to be transmitting power better to the wheels.

I think it a worth-while but expensive thing to do. Cost was $360 including replacing the differential fluid.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to go the the 300M listing and see if I can get some info. I'm not sure how to go about arbitration, but I'm most certainly willing. I am not confident in my dealer. They done nothing but lie to me. I really don't need that. I've paid good money, and even got the 50,000 mile extended warranty. Good thing! However, I'm not sure how much longer I'm willing to keep the car.

:-(
  • newgmbuyernewgmbuyer Member Posts: 11
    I have the drivers seat problem- under hard braking I have noticed the drivers seat jumps forward maybe 1/4 inch or so. Interestingly, I never notice it move back to the original position- I don't know if it is continually creeping forward or just slowly settles back to where it started. If anyone learns what the fix is let us know. Thanks
    Here's what someone from the 300M board did to fix his seat movement:

"The TSB is number 23-019-01

I ordered part number 05080982AA and fixed it myself. You need two of these bolts for each seat. They were $5.70 each. I've only installed the drivers side and it's a real quick fix. After 1 month or more, still no movement.

Get you a T50 torx bit for a 3/8" rachet, in fact get you a small set of Torx rachet bits and a Torx screwdrive set, they come in very handy when working on a 300M.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rpowelljr300n/lst?.dir=/My+Photos/Seat+Movement+Fix"

Hope this helps!
    Was curious if any '99 LHS owners can confirm that they have H3 bulbs in the fog/driving lights. I have a '00 LHS and although the manual specs H3 bulbs, I have found that the bulbs are actually 9040. Checked the Sylvania website (mfr of the lighting system) and they say '99 has H3 and all following years take the 9040. Appears that the owners manual was never updated.
    Mine, built in 4/98, has the H3 bulbs. Now has 41K on it. Doing fine after lots of initial problems (I think it was put together by gremlins, Otto).
    Sorry no gremlins work at my plant. First year cars are always a leaning experience for both company and customer. What type of problems have you had?
    Geez, it's too long to go over all that again. Just hit my name and read a few of the back msgs. They even go back into the archives to '98. Mostly related to assembly on the driver's side. Misaligned doors, poor weatherstrip, cracking door panels, windows not working; you name it. Yes, I had to have one of the first off the line.

I always do that and grumble like mad. One of these days, I'll learn to stay away from the first two years of a new model.
    Oh ok , sorry to hear. Unfortunately most of the problems other than the misaligned doors are of an engineering problem. Yes I know you still had problems with your car but every time I hear its the plants fault it makes me mad. We only build with parts that the company gives us. So when a door window motor fails its not the fault of the guy who installs it but the guy in Detroit who designed it. Most of the problems our cars have is from a poor design not poor build quality. I think three of our biggest problems are trans, A/C and windows motors. Hopefully with the help of MB our next cars will have much better quality parts.
    Unfortunately, IMHO, there is no excuse for misaligned doors on one side of a car. The guy(s) who mounted them must have been asleep or in the bag.

Regarding MB, I can tell you horror stories on my two, an '85 300SD and an '88 560SEL. The first had oil leaks from the front main seal which required mfg rep to get fixed. The dealer kept saying that such leaking was normal and the Germans in Europe didn't mind. Oil coated the interior of the engine compartment. Being of German extraction, I can tell you they MINDED.

The second Merc, an almost 4000 pounder, was extremely hard on pads and rotors. Every 12K for pads and every 24K for rotors at the tune of $300 and $900 each time. Interestingly, this brake problem was only on the front wheels, the rear set lasted till I got rid of the car at 120K miles. I always thought the brake equalization was screwed up but I understand from the dealer that most were like that. And I do not ride the brakes. Plus, even with limited slip, the 560SEL couldn't get up our minimal hills here in No. Virginia if we had the least bit of snow or ice. What an unreliable car.

Regarding MB and quality/customer care, their track record isn't particularly good. Further, IMHO, they are gutting Chrysler, particularly in grabbing funding once held for new development. Notice that it's gone!!

Not a MB fan here and will never buy another one. Probably the same thing will apply to Chrysler now that MB has their hooks into the system.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    ottowrkr-

You know that a long time ago I said that you could only use the parts that Chrysler provided to you and that you're not a magician. I also know that the bottom line for Chrysler is $$$$$$$. However, when those $$$$$$$ affect quality, that spells trouble.

Most likely, mileshoover, like I was, is MORE upset with the treatment he gets from his "5-STAR" dealer than he is with the car itself. It's one thing to have a problem with a new car, it's another how that problem is addressed by Chrysler's representative- the dealer!

I think that YOUR union should fight for better quality parts AND better dealer service. BOTH of these things affect YOUR livelihood. So many people are put off by the dealers that they swear off of your cars. After a while, I knew that the dealers were more of a problem because of their LACK of caring than Christine ever was.

I still say that the 300M is one of the best looking cars on the road, BUT I'll take my "blah, mundane looking", quality Acura CL-S ANYDAY! On 3/28, it will be 1 year old. Three dealer visits for oil/filter changes and one tire rotation/balance. THAT'S it in 12,670 miles! If I gave you the VIN on Christine, you wouldn't believe the number of dealer visits during that time for things other than oil changes, as well as the $$$$$$ for warranty work!

MB definitely took Chrysler over the coals. They may have the "reputation" for quality, but they certainly have their problem cars too. I know because my cousin has a lemon one.

fastdriver
    I'd like to clarify the impression that my dealer is less than 5* quality. He is fine in just about all respects. They and I feel that dealers should not have to do such major surgery on products delived to them in supposedly saleable condition.

My problems with my '99 LHS have been fixed but took a lot of time to convince the dealer to do the work the factory should have done. By that I mean that there is no excuse delivering an auto from the factory with two misaligned doors on the left side when that factory touts the fact that they are building a "2mm" car (one with gaps not exceeding "2mm"). This one had quarter inch to half inch gaps, aligned by an incompetent, and, therefore, wind noise that drove one out of the car.

Yes, $$$$ affect quality, but quality affects sales in the long run. I keep watching Chrysler's sales going down, down, down. Same thing is happening to Ford and they're hurting so bad that bankruptcy may be next. 'Course, the SUV problems didn't help them, but they just went on blythly ignoring customer's complaints just as Chrysler appears to be.

My complaint is simply that the auto companies are not putting in build quality for their products to fit their advertising.
    mileshoover-

I would have to agree with you on the door gap. That should NOT has left the factory like that. The quality inspector guy was not looking that day.

You are absolutely right- a deaf ear! When the imports take over AGAIN like they did in the 80's, then the Big Three will wake up AGAIN and realize that we're are not going to spend hard-earned money only to become the service department's best friend!

Are you thinking of trading it in soon?

fastdriver
    Not going to trade for a bit yet. The LHS has been repaired and drives very well. Has only 41K on it and should go for a few more years without major expense. Don't want to go through the "new car doldrums" for quite some time. But as I indicated earlier, not at all sure what kind of brand interests me.

Never had a Japanese-made car, probably won't get one, but not at all sure about any of the US makes any longer. Except for 4 German-made cars, all previous 57 were US-made.

Almost bought a Lexus 400 back in '90 but it didn't hold a candle to the Merc I had at that time even with its overloaded brakes.
    mileshoover-

Yes? ;-))

fastdriver
  • white98cl30white98cl30 Member Posts: 4
    My mother has a '94 Olds Eighty Eight Royale. It's quite old (turned 8 last fall), so we have been passively shopping for a new car. She loved the Chrysler LHS when it came out for '99. The problem was it was just a bit over our budget and we didn't need a new car then as desperately as we do now. Anyway, I've been checking on used car resale values recently and have noticed that all GM prices and most domestic prices have been flatlining. A '99 LHS without mileage adjustment on KBB for just over 12k? You're kidding, right? WHat I'm wondering now is why the heck Chrysler decided to take such a sexy body and rename it and re-engined it (unfortunately) as the "all-new" Concorde. And then they pull a trick with the 300M bringing out a performance model that has 5 hp more than the base model for '02. Of course you don't realize that the base lost 10 hp and the performance model has 5 LESS hp than last year's basic model. And they raised the price. Where is Chrysler's brain trust? Taking an extended vacation to OTHER MANUFACTURERS, I'm guessing, while Schrempp sends in Germans to run America's most interesting and daring car company into the ground to cut Mercedes' losses from their self-made deal gone wrong. Where is this headed? BTW, they killed the Prowler. Next up on the killing list is Schrempp himself, I hope, for Chrysler's sake.
    white98cl30--

No, the price of ~12K for a '99 LHS actually is about right, maybe even a bit high. It is a classic case of the Chrysler product being downgraded due to its known quality problems.

Avoid that auto if you don't want lots of problems in the future. I know because I have one. That pretty well applies to the first two years of almost any new model change from what I have experienced.

So far as Chrysler redesignating the LHS as a Concorde for 2003, IMHO, it is a case of too little money left for development as a result of DC taking the money home to Germany.

DC probably had considerable LHS front and rear ends left over and decided it was the easiest way to upgrade to a "new look" for the least amount of money.

BTW, the '99 LHS was delivered rated at 253 hp and 255 ftlb's of torgue; interesting to see that for '00 onward, it was downgraded to 250 hp and that the '02 'M Special is just now rated at 255 hp, only TWO hp more than the original '99 rating.
    Go figger!!

My opinion, you pretty well have it right on your last half of your post.

Anyway...
  • camil612camil612 Member Posts: 2
    I am a new member of the chat group and I have read a lot of the previous posts on the 199 LHS. It was interesting to see so many people that have had the problems as me. I had the vibration and alignment problem from the beginning. After a number of alignments, the dealer finally decided that I need a new rack. Of course, this was after the warranty had expired. I am nearly 60 years old and I've never had to replace the rack on a car with under 50,000 miles!!
    And yes my rear windows don't go down, etc. etc.
    But I have a new issue that I haven't seen discussed. My expensive chrome wheels are corroding to the point that the tire rims don't seal well. I am constantly checking and filling my tires to correct the tire pressure. I know I have to get new wheels but, does anyone have any recommendations. I live in Buffalo, NY so we get everything as far as weather is concerned.
    camil612-

Try e-bay.com. A lot of people replace the wheels on their 300M's, so you might find them there OR go to the 300M discussion group here in Town Hall and ask.

fastdriver
    Wheel vibration, at least in my case, was caused by out-of-round and/or warped brake rotors. This was caused by the fact that the rotors are not sufficiently thick enough for most braking. If you are a heavy braker, I have found that the current-day rotors warp very easily.

But this is true of most modern cars that I have owned lately. My Merc's were extremely bad on front end vibration while braking due this very thing.

In the case of the LHS, ('94 and '99), I have found that light application of the brakes, applied steadily, keeps the rotors unwarped since not as much immediate heat on the rotors is generated that way. Of course, an emergency stop will require heavy application, so you do what you must. And you'll probably feel vibratiions for a while, depedent upon whether or not the rotor will recover during normal braking. If not, they'll have to be replaced. Lathing them true generally does not work well on Chryslers.

Years ago, it used to be the proper braking method to pump them for better application. Now with modern anti-lock braking, STEADY (not pumping) brake application is better and the way to go. Warped brakes caused similar front end problems on my '94 LHS, not the rack. The '99 running gear is not drastically different. This was usually evident when applying the brakes.

If your front vibrations occur when braking, I suggest you change your braking procedure from pumping to steady application as lightly as you can to stop the car where and when you want.

Regarding corrosion on the LHS wheels, I'm sure that your winter environment and anti-ice/snow salts in Buffalo are probably contributing much to this. I have almost 42K on mine (had it since 4/98), no corrosion or anything. If I lived where you do, I'd be sure to hose salt off the wheels after each exposure to the streets, if at all possible, during winter. If any car washes are open, they should be able to do the same thing.

Regarding sticking windows, it is common with the LH body. Hold down the window button and smack the glass near the top with your palm. The windows will retract in a bit. The problem is that wax from car washes and heat from summer temperatures glue the windows to the seals. Try also wiping down the top edges of all glass, keep it clean; then wipe thru the seals with silicon sprayed on a cloth and clean out the channels. Works fine.

BTW, I'm 73, am on my 61st car since my first new one in 1949 (1950 Buick Special) and have never had to have a steering rack replaced. :^)))
    mileshoover-

"BTW, I'm 73, am on my 61st car since my first new one in 1949 (1950 Buick Special) and have never had to have a steering rack replaced. :^)))"

When I had my Christine, the dealer replaced my rack and pinion steering rack and the power steering pump to "fix" the left pull!! LOL.... Naturally, it didn't fix it because that wasn't the problem. It was defective Goodyear tires that Goodyear replaced for me at NO cost at 11,000 miles! NO problem with the pull after that!

I wonder how many racks have been replaced on LH cars since 1999 that have NOT solved the customer's problem, but has cost Chrysler a pretty penny. If I could only be a FLY on the wall in Auburn Hills! ;-))

fastdriver
  • camil612camil612 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks all,
    BTW - I had the Goodyear Eagles that were original equipment replaced at about 12,000 miles. And that didn't solve the alignment problem. I am now riding on Yokohama Avid T4s and they are great!!
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    The winter is just about over I hope (it still snows every 2nd day). I've put over 15,000 miles on my 99 since I bought it in November. Still gives a great comfy ride.

I also had the Rack replaced when I bought it, but for legitimate reasons - the front end would bang constantly with every bump and every turn. The replacement fixed that problem, but did nothing for the vibration between 55 and 65, and for the severe pulling to the left.

That problem was solved with Michelins.

Great ride and no problems since.
  • datafusiondatafusion Member Posts: 2
    bb-lhs-2k: I also have a mysterious clunk in the front end of my 2001 LHS. Mine is on the right-front side only, and it occurs whenever the right-front wheel hits some sort of bump while turning left. The dealer says that everything is tight and looks okay. They HAVE been able to reproduce the noise; they just can't fix it.

Mostly it's just an annoying clunk, but sometimes it sounds as if the entire wheel has been ripped off.

The last time I had it in, they suspected the sway-bar, and tightened the bolts. But, it made no difference.

ottowrkr - is there someplace above the dealer level I can escalate this problem to? It's been going on since the car was new.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Which Michelin tires did you put on? Thanx
    datafusion- tell the dealer to check the sway bar links.They tend to make a clunk whem going over bumps and when tight they look ok, but once the nuts that hold them in place are removed you see lots of movement. Also check the tierod ends and also the links and bolts that attach to the rack and pinion at the back of the engine at the firewall .As for going higher than the dealer ,sorry cant help you . Ask to take the dealers service manager out for a drive and drive the car so it makes the clunk sound. Hope this helps
    Sorry to hear you have the same clunk, it's very annoying, especially on colder days, it's louder. It's pretty consistent now, but I've given up on trying to find it, the dealer doesn't know what's going on, and I don't have a lot of time to spend dealing with it. So I just learned to ignore it, unless the noise gets worse or the steering doesn't feel right.

By the way, I've mentioned to them what Ottowrkr said, and they found no problems (supposedly) with the sway bar links, tierod ends or the rack and pinion. What worries me is that they will magically find the problem in a few months, when my Warranty runs out (I'm at 32k miles). Good Luck.
    try another dealer.
    Today I confirmed my thoughts about the owners manual listing incorrect bulb types for the 2000 LHS. I removed the front fascia today to replace the front grill that was ruined by the attachment method used to mount the front license plate bracket. Since the headlamps could be removed with the fascia off I found the following lamps used in the front:

Low beam:
    Actual - 9006 (aka HB4)
    Listed in owners manual - 9006XS (aka HB4A)

High beam:

Actual - 9005XS (aka HB3A)
    Listed in owners manual - 9005 (aka HB3)

Fog light:
    Actual - 9040
    Listed in owners manual - H3

I believe the H3 is a carry over from the '99 which somebody stated that their '99 actually has H3's, do not know for sure.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    This page, representative of many out there, must be wrong for the LHS as well:

http://users.erols.com/imausa/auto-upgrades/bulbguide1.htm

For the 300M, it doesn't even list the H3 fog lights.

• datafusiondatafusion Member Posts: 2
    Figured out what was causing the clunkon the left-front side. Turns out that the sway bar was actually able to hit a bit of the frame. I don't mean the plastic liner, but actual metal car body, directly above the sway-bar. This appears to a frame-member (not the sub-frame) - it's painted body color, and several spot-welds are visible. Look directly above the sway-bar. The plastic inner-fender has a bit of an indentation to accomodate the sway-bar. This frame-member was protruding below that.

The wear marks from the sway-bar hitting this
    thing were quite pronounced, once you knew to look there. The dealer had to cut a piece of it away to cure the problem.

-Rick
    Wow, interesting. I'll have to check it out, if the rain ever stops around here (in the Northeast). I just had the car in for an oil change at another dealer, and asked them to look for the noise, but again, nothing wrong and "minor clunk noise is normal for the LHS" according to the mechanic I spoke with.

I hope the problem is similar to what you found, otherwise I'll live with it till I sell the car.
  • tksatksatksatksa Member Posts: 30
    Some cretin with the brain pan of a shrew nailed the left front fender on my 2001 LHS in a parking lot and then took off without leaving any note. Isn't this uninsured motorist crap wonderful?

Anyway, for you folks in the East SF Bay Area: on the recommendation of my mechanic I took the car to Jack Armas at J&C Body Shop in Concord, CA. The fender was creased so Jack got a new fender and then matched the paint perfectly. He did a fabulous job. My baby is all better now. Thanks, Jack!
  • valhsvalhs Member Posts: 63
    It's been a long time since my last post but here's an update. 2000 LHS, 49,000 miles and no issues. I may be ready for brakes, especially the front. The pads are getting thin and it looks like the rotors could use a turn.

Interior materials seem to be holding up well with the exception of the steering wheel. Used all purpose cleaner and clean rag, color and some material came off with the cloth. I've seen similar descriptions of this on the 300M page.

All for now.
    Regarding your brakes, notice you live in VA also.

State inspector for your annual safety inspection will estimate your remaining brake life; he's usually very correct in his estimate.

Just had my '99 LHS (built 4/98) annual inspection at 42.5K miles; guy says my front pads still have over 60% left; rear ones will probably never need to be replaced for the life of the auto.

If you do get brake work done, my experience with Chrysler ('93 Concorde and '94 LHS) indicate that it is not a good idea to have the rotors turned if someone suggests that approach. Get new ones and pads also if you want things to work without vibration and go to someone who knows brakes.

And make sure that the removed wheels are properly torqued at no more that 100 ft/lbs when put back on. That appears to be what warps rotors on these cars.

Miles
    I use Meguiars's Gold Class leather conditioner and cleaner on all leather surfaces and the steering wheel and shifter. This stuff really soaks in and conditions the material, does not leave a greasey or cheap glossy look. My seats are softer than the day I got the car.