Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Concorde

Comments

• moparguy2moparguy2 Member Posts: 1
    After determining the over-run clutch on my 1995 Concorde's 3.5 ltr V-6 starter motor has gone bad I'm ready to replace it. Any tips on how I can get my hands into this little area to remove and replace the starter motor would be greatly appreciated. Also am I correct that the oil filter will need to be removed to make room to exchange the old starter motor for the new one?
  • lovelynn84lovelynn84 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Concorde does the same thing. It happens to drive me nuts. Previously, the gas gauge bounce only happened when I had a half a tank of gas or less. Now it happens no matter how full the gas tank is. The dealership I bought it from said they couldnt do anything about it unless I brought it in to be checked when the gas tank was full. I think they were just brushing off my concerns and giving me BS. I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem! Thanks for letting me know someone else has it too! If I find out any information, Ill be sure to post it.
  • hanna5858hanna5858 Member Posts: 6
    Hi lovelynn84 check out posting #1012 it addresses the same problem we have. Hanna5858
  • mariewaremarieware Member Posts: 1
    When it started getting cold last sunday 10/29/06 the car had been sitting for 2 days. I went to drive it and the gear shift seemed stubborn. It seems to come and go. Last night 11/04/06 it was the hardest to shift into park. The temperature outside was 31 degrees F. Other than this problem the car is running fine. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?
  • velesmjvelesmj Member Posts: 6
    Dallasw did you ever figure out a solution for the hard to start problems? I am still having this problem with my car and the shop (Firestone) could not figure it out.

Mike
  • cwestoncweston Member Posts: 4
    I've spent hours upon hours trying to go through the discussion to find a problem like mine---not too much luck
    1999 concorde le.....airbag light came on wednesday night, no power windows, no turn signals, no heat/blower---(had to drive it 2 days in a row to work sub zero temps--driver window stuck partially down)
    any suggestions are appreciated. does anyone know if that light can be disabled?
    thanks
    Cat
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    sounds like a blown fuse[s]. Since it's not intermittent--should be straightforward to diagnose and fix but the cause for the malfunction may require a qualified mechanic's intervention.
  • dkts964dkts964 Member Posts: 1
    I have 99 chrysler concorde. problems with panel. Blower moter and knob works. Hot and cold doesn't work along with selector,defrost and ac. I changed the head, and it didn't fix. Would love to hear of some help.
    Hey, thanks for the input. I guess I didn't give enough information--(just like a woman, huh!)....anyway, the light had been coming on and going off with a wiggle of the key while the car is still running. While the light was on, no ac/heater/turn signals/no power windows. I could wiggle the key and it would go off, then power resumed and signals resumed. Weird
    sounds like the fix could be pricey. good luck.
  • chris1993chris1993 Member Posts: 6
    go to www.alle.experts.com codes are there i found the reviews there are great. they are helpfull and give advice off-on 3 timesgood luck i have 93 concord 90 k like new icould be crysler mech now mine limp mode maap -pac in and out sensors and more
  • chris1993chris1993 Member Posts: 6
    wrecking yard pac should cost 10 dollars take to crysunder hood there is a plug parts are easy to instal lot things fuel pump pac idle sensor and so on
  • v65magicv65magic Member Posts: 5
    I am wondering what you mean by hard to start.
    My wifes 2001 concord just clicks when you turn the key.
    Turn it off and try again, sometimes 10 - 15 times before it starts. Then it starts like it has no problem and runs fine.
    Anytime I do something to it, it doesn't come back for awhile.
    But comes back and does the same thing.
    I think I have traced it down to a bad connection of GND or +.
    I am going to clean the grounds to see if it takes care of it.
    If not I will run my own ground from the battery to see if it is the ground. That don't work I will swap out the positive cable from battery to the post (which is what I really think it is) but I want to find the exact problem and cure. Anybody have a similar problem let me know.
    My wifes 2001 concord just clicks when you turn the key.
    Turn it off and try again, sometimes 10 - 15 times before it starts. Then it starts like it has no problem and runs fine.
    Anytime I do something to it, it doesn't come back for awhile.
    But comes back and does the same thing.
    I think I have traced it down to a bad connection of GND or +.
    I am going to clean the grounds to see if it takes care of it.
    If not I will run my own ground from the battery to see if it is the ground. That don't work I will swap out the positive cable from battery to the post (which is what I really think it is) but I want to find the exact problem and cure. Anybody have a similar problem let me know.
  • velesmjvelesmj Member Posts: 6
    To elaborate further for my comment that it was hard to start, it cranks for about 5-6 seconds before it starts.
  • supermommysupermommy Member Posts: 3
    HI all!

I just financed a 1999 Inrepid with the infamous 2.7.....needless to say 6 weeks later we now need a new engine! The dealer is not willing to help us get it fixed. He is willing to put us in another car if we come up with another $800! THe car he wants to put us in is a 1999 Concorde with the 3.2 engine. Any thoughts positive or negative. The car has 180,000kms on it
    Thanks
  • supermommysupermommy Member Posts: 3
    I have run into the same problem with my intrepid.....just like you are describing.....now my engine needs replacing.....our mechanic called Chryler directly and was told by them that people who only used syntheic oil in the 2.7 never ran into this engine blowing up problem. Anyone who used the reg. oil ran into this problem. Chrysler only recommends the sythenic oil.....did not state it was a requirement for these engines.

Anyone with the 2.7 please be aware!!!
    Gosh!!!!! I want to tell you there is a significant established history with sludge build up in the engines of both the intrepids and the concordes......We have a 1999 concorde.....fortunately for us, no engine problems...(not yet anyway) but a few other problems i.e. Air bag light on and no power windows/locks/blower for the heater....this problem was a result of a bad 'ignition switch'. If I would had my preferences, I would not reccomend either car to anyone. I hold my breath 'daily' that the engine is going to go with 'no warning' as I've seen and read about with so many other intrepid/concorde owners (1999)...all I can say is: Take the 'other car' and get out of it. Chrysler had a HUGE problem with these and they refused to help those still under warranty so they aren't going to help someone who bought the car used either. Good luck
  • rogerrinarogerrina Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Concorde and I am experiencing the same issue with trying to start and it not starting. Then it starts like there were no issues.

Has anyone been able to verify the cause and cure?

roger_vaughn at hotmail dot com
  • tara225tara225 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've been reading all of the posts and thought I'd ask a question for my friend's Mother. She has a 1999 Chrysler Concorde and the check engine light came on and she has noticed that her car is driving funny. She has to press on the gas pedal sometimes and hold it down and the car still acts like it's wanting to stop. The codes that came up were P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction and P1684 - Battery Disconnected Within Last 50 Starts. Do you or anyone else have any knowledge on these two codes and what should be done first?

They are older people and don't know where to start with this so I'm trying to help them out. Thanks to any and all of you who can give me any tips.

Have a great day!!!
  • renga78renga78 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am having Concorde LX '02. I am getting a whistle sound, when it reaches 50 mph and above. If anyone come across this problem please let me know.

regards
  • mustangamtmustangamt Member Posts: 6
    My husband has a 96 Concorde and is having a lot of trouble with it. Not only has he had to replace the cooling fans 3 times but the transmission has been replaced and recently he rebuilt the motor. This was because the car was not starting and he figured it would be easier to rebuild it comes to find out it was the timing that had went on it. Now the car is not getting spark. Could anyone tell me what this could be from.
    The starting system consists of:
    Ignition Switch
    Starter Relay
    Transmission Range Sensor or Park/Neutral Switch
    Wiring Harness
    Battery
    Starter Motor / Solenoid
    Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

If you would like something specific let me know @jka1100@aol
  • ncnavymanncnavyman Member Posts: 6
    My 98 LXi, Down stream O2 sensor requires replacement (so says Advance)have new sensor ready. My manual doesn't say weather it is going to be easier to replace while the exhaust is co9ld or hot, any answers? Also, what is the torque value for the new sensor? Thanks great site!
  • wwilderwwilder Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,

I need to replace a battery on my 99 LXi. Can anyone post instructions on doing so (I know it's under the air filter). Also, has anyone used a store that offer free installation (I believe Advance Auto Parts does that) for replacing an LXi battery? If it's not something the store would do, I'm reluctant to spend the extra cash taking the car to a dealer.

Thanks for the help.
    Remove passenger tire.
    Remove the plastic inner skirt.
    Dis-connect the battery and replace it.
    Good Luck
    If you trust their work, Walmart installs free --- even the Concorde.
    After removing the upper cross member of the radiator, are there any areas that might give me surprises, need special attention? Is there anything to do with freon leaking doing a radiator replacement? Any special tricks of the trade? While I have the radiator out, are there any areas that need to be checked/maintenance done?
  • cshouftascshouftas Member Posts: 1
    My CD Player in my 1997 Concorde just stopped pulling in the CD. It will not take the CD and pull it in anymore. Any ideas for a fix?
  • demitch256demitch256 Member Posts: 1
    Hi...I'm trying to replace the 2 air vent covers on the glove compartment side of an 01 Concorde. I've got the replacement parts, but am having trouble taking out the original vents. I tried prying them out, but they don't seem to want to come out that way. Any ideas or suggestions about how to get them out would be greatly appreciated! thanks,

demitch256
  • pdj2007pdj2007 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know if the 3.5 liter engine will except a transmission from the 3.3.
  • concordechaserconcordechaser Member Posts: 1
    i would like to replace my steering wheel with a wood grain one to match the rest of my intierer on my 00 concorde. i have seen the wheel cover rings. has anyone tried this? does anyone know where i can find an oem wood grain wheel(if they make them)?
    Since a new steering wheel would also mean a new airbag, you might want to reconsider replacing it.
  • iamallusediamallused Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased the LXI for $3,300 with 96,000 on the odometer,it has all the creature comforts plus moonroof. Everything is functional on this car. After reading through many of your posts for the LXI, questions concerning buying a used LXI or LX has come up. Never buy the LX for any REASON. Do your research, a horrible engine. The LXI is a proven winner engine wise.

Let me say all I have ever owned are used cars, I have owned a car from all the GM companies, both Chrysler and Dodge, Honda, Toyota, Mazda and Volvo. I could flip a coin between the reliabilty of these automobiles I have owned as to which was best or worst. All cars break down, period. I put 20,000 miles per year usually for 2 or 3 years and then either sell or donate the vehicle to charity. I always plan on putting a few dollars in repairs to keep the car functioning.

I am really impressed with the Concorde LXI, nice quite engine, good ride, manuevers well, slightly noisy cabin but comfortable, wonderful back seats, plenty of cargo room. So far good on gas. Rides on Goodyear, could be softer ride. The stereo does crank up well! And what is most importanct engine is sound, airconditioning works well and the brakes are firm.

For those of you considering a used car the Concorde LXI is a great buy.
    So I have had many little issues pop up with my concorde and I have finally gotten them all resolved. So I am going outline what the symptoms were and what I did to resolve them.

#1 While slowing to a red light, the car would shift down and it would not shift up until I turned the car off and restarted it.
    SOLUTION: had to replace the control pack that in the tranny. Cost for part is 187. Total: 400.00

#2 Check engine light comes on with Purge flow low error. Error Code P0441
    SOLUTION: Replace purge valve. Cost: $60. The part is under the hood next to master cylynder

#3 Check oil light comes on when at idle. Even though real oil level is fine.
    Solution: replace the only oil sensor on the engine. (mine was leaking oil THROUGH the snesor.) If you get under car and look up passed the oil filter, you will see the sensor. Cost of part: 23.00

#4 The last and most troublesome... Intermittent starting when turning the key. Sometimes it would start immediately. Others it would take ten turns of the key. However, there was never a set number of turns. one way to eliminate the starter is to pull the starter relay and use needle nose pliers to start car. If it works every time then all is well from the starter to the fuse box.
    Solution: replace electrical part of ignition switch. Also check the connectors to ensure they will connect tightly. Cost: 58.00
    The tramsission control module will need to be replaced. Crysler has some service bulletin out on this issue.
  • yamnaejyamnaej Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 concorde that recently started flickering the odometer, interior lights and the radio comes and goes. It started out doing this occasionally, then went to doing it all the time. Sometimes the battery light comes on and sometimes it doesn't. It has now started dying but restarts right away. They have replaced some module but it is still doing it.
  • dallaswdallasw Member Posts: 3
    I would bet on the possibility of it being the ignition cylinder, i have heard of people with the same symptoms and that is almost always the problem.
  • grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    Can any of you owners tell me the center bore diameter of the 15 spoke alloy wheels used on the subject cars? Or measure the diameter of the load bearing center of the front/rear hub? I am considering using these alloys on another mmake of car.
    Thanks
  • daveali98daveali98 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2001 Chrysler Concorde Lxi for my grandma last summer with 75K miles. Last week the car suddenly would not start. The dealership in Athens Ohio cannot figure out what the problem is.

1. Anyone have any clue what could prevent the car from starting ? The local car mechanic eliminated the battery and starter.

2. The dealership said that they need to order a new BCM (Body Control Module) in order to get any reading. However, getting in a new BCM does not guarantee anything, which could mean $1000 down the drain.

3. The dealership has had the car for 10 days now. Is that normal ?

4. Help, I need to get grandma back on the road. Is there a related Service Bulletin i can share with the dealership.
    To check on tech service bulletins go to edmunds.com and click on tips at the top. Scroll down to the maintenance and tsb section and follow the trail.
  • foxyj75foxyj75 Member Posts: 4
    I saw that someone else has posted a comment about not owning an lx for any reason. This fear is unfounded. I am assuming that the major reason for this comment is the supposedly troublesome 2.7 engine that comes in these cars. While the early versions of this motor were indeed plauged by sludge problems, as well as other various tining chain o-ring and coolant leakage problems, newer versions(2002 and later) have addressed and fixed these shortcomings. This engine is still in use in the new Chargers and 300's, as well as the Sebrings. The whole sludge issue can be easily avoided, however. Simply make sure your oil is fresh, of good quality(no Wolf's Head!) and is at the proper level. Or better yet, if your engine is relatively low mileage(50,000 or under), get an engine flush, and switch to a quality synthetic. Doing this will pretty much eliminate any sludge in the engine. That being said, an optioned out lx is a great way to go in a late model Concorde. My lx is a 2004 model, and it has every option the limited has except for leather interior, auto headlights, auto temp, and the 17" wheels( mine came with 16" LXi alloys). Honestly though, I don't really want that stuff. I hate leather(nice when new, but nasty when old, hot and cold like vinyl), are you really too lazy to turn a temp knob or headlight switch?, 17" tires are expensive. There are a few other tings though, such as speed sensitive steering, ect. But the concorde is not a sports car, so having that kind of stuff is kind of silly IMO. If you did'nt know you had it, you would'nt miss it! The bottom line however, is that you can get into one of these excellent optioned-out cars for cheap because of the 2.7 myths floating about. And yes I am a professional auto technician, so my expertise is actually worth a few cents! If you have any questions feel free to ask!! Thanks!!
  • detfandetfan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Concorde, does this thing have a fuel cut off switch somewhere? It just died on me driving down the road, and I am hoping my timing just didn't go.

Thanks
  • daveali98daveali98 Member Posts: 2
    The car has now been in the shop 3 weeks. The dealer said he had to get a new BCM, and still cant get any reading. HE is clueless. Do any of you experts have any ideas how to get the car started again. The dealership surely doesn't. I did an exhaustive search online but no clear solutions as to how to get a diagnostic reading and how to get the car started again. 2001 Chryster Concorde LXi. Grammy is getting desparate, and so am I. daveali98@yahoo.com
    check your crank and camshaft position sensors. they are notorious for going out on these cars when warm weather sets in. I just replaced the cam position sensor on my car, and it only has 37,000 on it. Used to et alot of them in at the chrysler dealer I used to work at. Good luck, and God Bless!!!
    My concord has been doing the same thing for several months and possibly over a year now.
    I have the column around the key switch off and drive it this away.
    When it doesnt start, I start unplugging the connectors and and try starting it.
    It sooner or later fires right up like there is no problem and keeps starting for an undetermined amount of time.

The last time I had the connector going to the key switch & 2 connectors on the top of the column unplugged and it started.
    Thats the best I can tell you for now.
    GOOD LUCK & LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND ANY INFO.
    Joe
  • catherinezhongcatherinezhong Member Posts: 1
    It's my first time to buy a car, and I found a 2002 concorde with 100K millage. What do you think about this year's concorde? Is there any general problem? Or is the millage too high? The owner said he is the first owner.
    Catherine, alot depends on the engine in the car you are considering. Concordes came with either a 2.7l or a 3.5l engine. At this mileage, a 3.5l engine is a better choice in my opinion. Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 2.7l engine, but at this mileage, the previous owner would have to show me all service records for the car. The oil should've been changed every 3000 miles. Also, I would call a Chrysler dealer and have them tell you what should have been serviced and/or replaced by now(e.g. timing belt, spark plugs, wires, egr valve, filters,ect.). If the seller cannot provide you with service records, then the 3.5 is a better choice. While there is nothing inherently wrong with a car with a 2.7 engine, this engine can be troublesome if it is not maintained properly. Other than that, just realize that at 100k miles, some routine maintenance is to be expected, as things just start to wear out after 100k miles. Hope this helped!!! GOD BLESS!!!<><
    P.S. I happen to be a dealership mechanic, so I do have experience with these kinds of things!!!
    We have a 1999 concorde we bought used and it only had 80K miles on it, now has 114K....so, in my opinion, I think a 100k for a 2002 is quite a bit.
    I'd like to give some of our personal experience and what to watch for.....the engine of course as your last reply touched base on and I agree the 3.5 is better. But beware of the sensors---speed control sensor--when it goes, you would think its the transmission going out--about 200 to replace....the output control sensor is another one---this one, you won't be able to move the car--tow it in--transmission will not shift--250 to fix plus labor. Air bag light--if it comes on/stays on-you won't have power windows, blower for heat/ac or turn signals---check the clockspring in the steering column---another 250-300 to have fixed. Chrysler had alot of problems with these cars BE SURE to check to see what's been replaced and the engine sludge build up--have it looked over before you buy it! if I had my 'rathers',,,i wouldn't have bought it. I'm not a guy or a mechanic---I'm a mom of two and have learned about the chrysler concorde!
    but each to their own and good luck!