Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Concorde

Comments

• binubinu Member Posts: 81
    I would think that you should still replace your battery. The fact that it died for no apparent reason is reason enough to assume that you never know when it may die again.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    tom_

Get ready! June 17, 2001 is the day you can plan your party! Christine will be back to its maker on that day. THANK GOD!

Sorry YOU don't like my postings about my Chrysler product. All you have to do is skip over them. I feel that I've helped many people with my pro and con postings over the past 2 years. Glad your Chrysler product is satisfactory for you if you even have one since your profile contains NO information! If you had a car like my Christine, I don't think you'd be sitting idly back in dealing with all this crap.

What I post here is only the tip of the iceberg. You should see my real Chrysler website! LOL....

fastdriver
    binu-

As soon as I have a chance, I'll take it to the dealer and have them perform a load test on the battery. Certainly something is wrong for it to go dead after sitting for only 6 days.

fastdriver
  • srinacarsrinacar Member Posts: 14
    Somehow I am not shocked to hear you guys complaining about the "creaky" front end noises on your Concordes. As I posted earlier, I leased a LEMON. DC has been unable to fix the factory alarm (even after changing the body control module)and, more importantly, they have tried several times, without success, to figure out why the engine light goes on. When I experienced the first strange noise they replaced a wheel bearing (4000 miles is a bit much for that poor little bearing, huh?) Then, at around 6000 miles I started to hear the creaking noise. It sounds like old body bushings on a 15 year old car. I think my 73 Duster had a similar sound in 1984, but at last I expected it from that car! I would bring it back to DC (for the eighth or ninth time) but since DC advised me that they would be buying the car back (breaking my lease)I will not waste my time. Too bad such a great looking car is such a piece of SH*T. In all fairness to DC, this car does have the best AC system and the best sound system I have ever experienced.
    Oh well - back to the Maxima!
    Don't let Tom bother you - your postings have been extremely valuable to many Chrysler drivers, both the happy (Tom) and the disgusted (Me!) Some people take criticism personally, as if their good experience is being questioned. Tom should spend a few weeks with my Concorde (The Titanic) then he would appreciate our need to [non-permissible content removed] once in a whlie!
    srinacar-

Tom doesn't bother me in the LEAST! If Chrysler can't shut my mouth, certainly he can't!

BTW- you think the Chrysler stereo is BETTER then the BOSE in the Maxima??? Are you sure? Listen again when you get your new Maxima!

Good luck.

fastdriver
    My Maxima was a 96, and it had the stock AM/FM Cassette. I have not heard the Bose in the new Maxima yet, but if you're saying it is better, or even close to the one I'm giving back in the LEMON, it will only make my trip to the Nissan dealer that much more enjoyable. I currently have the Infinity system in the Concorde, with 9 speakers in 7 locations and the AM/FM/Cassette/in-dash 4 CD changer. I think it is 240 watts and it kicks. It would be the ONLY regret I'd have about terminating my lease - but if Nissan can make me forget....
  • kiss2kiss2 Member Posts: 3
    Srinacar!

I have the better idea! Why don't you go and buy a roller blade??? After you don't have to worry about the "great looking car is such a piece of SH*T."

kiss2
    srinacar-

IT IS BETTER!!! I have the 320 watt(later touted as 360 watts by Chrysler??), 11 speakers in 9 locations, or something like that, and there is NO comparison to a BOSE! I'm no audiophile. To me, a stereo was a stereo, UNTIL I got my 1994 Infiniti J-30 with the BOSE system!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the stereo OR the car! Good luck. You'll most likely never see the dealer again after you sign the papers. Wish I could say the same!

fastdriver
    401k-

LOL... You have certainly been around here long enough to know that we jump all over the place!

fastdriver
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    If we didn't jump all over the place, how else would we find each other, anyway?
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    401k,

did the michelins quiet down the road noise on your concorde?
  • 401k401k Member Posts: 16
    Slightly, but I had the TSB noise work done under warranty shortly after purchase, and it has never been much of an issue with us. The roads here in Orange County generally are in marvelous shape. I notice the road noise a bit more when I drive up to Los Angeles, where the roads are substantially rougher.

Noticeably crisper handling with the Michelins, as well.

Hopefully the Michelins will last a great deal longer than the Goodyears. The Goodyears were shot before 24,000 miles, and this is the third time I've had premature wear on OE Goodyear tires, even with regular rotation and pressure checks. Sheeeesh!
    Let me guess - you own a Concorde and you are so happy with it and you are offended that I don't share that sentiment? You should really lighten up a bit! My car is junk - a true LEMON, and I certainly have the right to express my opinion here or anywhere else that I choose. Also, you are not at all funny, so don't quit your day job just yet. Try this - enjoy your Chrysler and be thankful that you have not had the miserable experience that I have had and keep your silly, useless, grammatically deficient comments to yourself.
  • jayess1jayess1 Member Posts: 7
    I am getting ready to go arbitration with Chrysler, does anyone out there have any experience with this procedure. Is a single decision maker and an oral hearing better than a 3 person panel, documents only review?

If anyone could fill me in on their experience it would be appreciated. (successful or not)

Thanks.

Jayess
  • mimi919mimi919 Member Posts: 85
    Just wanted to give an update on my 99 Concorde LXI...I have now owned it for about 14 months now and have a little over 32,000 miles on it and to date have not had any mechanical problems with the drive train and I have to say that from a mechanical point of view I am happy with the service the car has given me so far.
    I would be very interested if anyone with a 98 or newer Concorde has more miles then I have and how their car is running.
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    I´m driving now one with 48764 miles on it,and it´s running good,I just had noises coming from both suspensions,front and rear,and squeaking door panels.
    Take care,and have a closer look to the 2001 Concorde,WOW!!
  • cool_robgcool_robg Member Posts: 10
    You truly sound like a jaded individual. You must be a lawyer - taking your guilt and frustration from your career path and transferring it to your beautiful new fully loaded 2000 LXi. Those punks at Nissan would love having your business. You know what they say: Birds of a feather... Do me a favor and tell those clowns to discontinue the Sentra. Who drives that heap of junk anyway??? Oh, and please laugh out loud for me when they quote you a lease price on the Maxima that begins with a $4 (as in $440/mo.)

In the spirit of being sour, here are my top 5 legitimate complaints on the 2000 LXi:

5- Tail lights are too small.
    4- Why do I have to click the damn remote 2x to open all the doors??? Not too mention the range on the darn thing is about 9 and a half feet.
    3- Why isn't the sun roof one-touch close? Why do I have to hold the button?
    2- Two words: road noise
    1- 9 Infinity speakers and no one thought to put one in each rear door? Who were the ad wizards behind that one???...
  • micjmicj Member Posts: 1
    The automatic temperature control on my 94 Concorde has been turning
    itself off on occasion as I'm driving along. Normally, it comes back on
    after about 5 minutes, but it is unpredictable. I replaced the relay in
    the control module, and that kept it stable for over a week. The AC compressor and hoses are all fine.
    When it goes off, the LED screen on the control unit goes blank and the system goes into a default mode of blowing hot air out of the defrost and on the floor. That would be okay in the winter, but not much fun in the summer.
    Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Mic
  • sears3sears3 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, You haven't heard from me in a few months I've been busy driving back and forth to my chrysler dealer while they pretend to fix my 99 concorde. Road noise!!! Now the rubber around won't stay in place and when i washed it the other day the black rubber molding around the headlight keeps coming loose and the door molding around the drivers door looks worn and lose. I don't want to hear that its my fault because of the work on the doors they have done to it. Its just still cheap made and yes the sharp look does wear off and the back gets ugler. Hey, i may look at the Toyota Avalon it may not turn any heads but it will still be running and last longer than any Chrysler prouct don't say why did i buy one i thought they had improved theit prducts but hhey i messed up. I'll say one thing i bet there isn't another car that handles like my concorde on these back road i drive its like a train on rails.
    Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your Concorde.
    I also have to deal with the excessive road noise with my Concorde and realize that there is no repair that can or will be done by Chrysler to reduce the road noise and I have accepted the fact that I will just have to deal with it(unless I am willing to loose several thousand dollars by trading it in now)which I am not planning on doing.
    I don't find the road noise in any way to be unbearable but I do find it to be unacceptable in any care I would desire to own in the future.
    Well I have learned one very important thing from my Concorde purchase and that is that I will never again buy a car without first renting it for a few days first because lets face it how can you pick out new car flaws on a short test drive with the salesperson talking as you are test driving the car.
    Best of luck and hope your Concorde serves you well in the future.
    I don't find the road noicse to be
  • pqt2pqt2 Member Posts: 1
    Call me nuts but I just purchased a new 2000 Concorde LXI. Traded in my 1998 Concorde LXI with 36K. Over all I was very happy with the '98. Road noise was not that bad, had the driverside door wind noise problem fixed, the computer replaced at about 20k and the driver's window motor replaced at 30k. Considering I remember when you could fix your family sedan with a pair of pliers, a screw driver, and some bailing wire and electrical tape these problems seem minor to me when you compare the the complexity of todays cars to those in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Maybe if I had keep the '98 longer I might have had some mechanical problems but there were no signs of possible problems.
    I do hope I will be as satisfied with my new car! Maybe I'm the exception but over the last 30 years I've owned 7 Chrysler cars/trucks and have had very good service from each of them. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know how this one works out. Paul
    Hey CRG - who's jaded? IN less than 24 hours I will have the weight of the titanic lifted from my shoulders. I am thrilled. And, I am no lawyer - if I was I'd have sued DC 6 months ago. You of all people should know that my ears can't even hear numbers that begin with a "4". Nissan has come back down to earth with the Maxima #'s. Re: your top 5 list - shouldn't the first complant be that huge dent in your trunk lid? On a grey car that type of blemish really show up! I wish you and all other LXI owners (including James) years of happy (albeit noisy) motoring. For me, Chrysler is a thing of the past.
  • jaestokjaestok Member Posts: 2
    I can't believe what a bunch of wussies are posting messages on this board. "Boo-Hoo, my car has too much wind noise. Boo-Hoo, its looks don't appeal to me as much as they used to."

I just drove my 99 1,200 miles round trip to the beach. So what if I couldn't hear a pin drop on the carpet. Who cares? It got my family and myself, along with a ton of cargo, to the beach and back no problem. Thats what cars are for you, they are a mode of transportation.

Quit crying.

P.S.

The Concorde is STILL the best looking car on the road.
    In response to a previous poster....no I don't think there are any so called...wussies...or boo-hoo criers in here but I feel we are all Concorde owners with different standards of satisfaction.
    Wind noise as described by a previous poster is not a concern of mine but I respect it as being a concern of the poster.
    Another poster feels a car is just a mode of transportation...but I would expect much more then that from my car but yet I still respect his views and opionion..
    I feel my Concorde is truely a beautiful car but I can still respect the poster who now feels it is not so beautiful.
    I feel it is important that all posters tell it just the way they fell without concern of criticism.
    mimi919-

I agree with you 100%! That's the way it USED to be here!

I'm thrilled that some people really love their cars and have had no problems. At least I know that some cars came off the assembly line correctly. Too bad mine wasn't one of them.

fastdriver
    I just wanted to say that of all the posts that I have read in here over the last year that I have found your posts to be the most helpful and informative of all.
    You have helped many with your tsb's and other links of interest that you have researched for yourself and others.
    So when you post about a problem that you have had there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that it is a legitime gripe and much more believable then the poster who may try and counter it.
    Mimi
    I second your comments about fastdriver. He (she?) has been one of the most helpful posters in these topics. He (she?) epitomizes what these topics are all about.
    Thanks for the kudos. Others have helped me as much as I may have helped them. Sharing information, good and bad and helping others is what this is all about. I spend a great deal of time surfing the net as part of my job. As a result, I have a wealth of resources that have certainly come in handy with my car and these forums. I have also made some very good e-mail contacts which have also come in handy here.

A few barbs thrown here and there at me have little or no affect on me. The ones who throw them are usually the ones with little or NO info in their bio. Besides, they're probably Chrysler personnel or Chrysler stockholders. Whatever. All I know is that Chrysler better get their act together or they're going to be in the same boat they were in back in the 80's! It won't affect me in the least because I have NO Chrysler stock, my car is leased and I will never buy another Chrysler product.

fastdriver
    you still have not confirmed, for inquiring minds, whether you are a he or a she; after all, we need to know how to refer to you when we "post behind your back"; as I ROTFLMAO. :)
    marsha7-

LOL...........HOW would you ever post behind my back? You know I'm all over these boards! ;-))

Did you ever think of clicking on my name and checking out my profile? What kind of lawyer are you for not thinking about that? ;-)))

fastdriver
    For sure, you are all over these boards like cow patties on a dairy farm :----) Every time I find a new topic to check, you have been there for months. I get the feeling that if I created a new topic RIGHT NOW, you would find it and post ahead of me :)

BTW, I really never thought to check out your profile; don't know why, I just never do it.

Thanks for the humor.

Bob
  • saabbersaabber Member Posts: 84
    I am trying to help someone on the saab site whose wheel fell off his car when there was metal fatigue of the rod which connects the two wheels.
    while I was in the saab dealership, a women was telling me that her 2000 concorde had the rod snap and she was told to stop driving the car immediately. I told her to get pictures immediately. It appears that the rod snapped in the middle of her front wheels, even though none of the materials below the rod were affected (ie, there was no object from underneath which caused this). Has anyone else heard of such a story with the 99 or 00 models? If the rod could be traced to the same manufacurer as the saab rod, it could be very helpful, and it could help to avoid potential safety issues in the future.
  • robnjrobnj Member Posts: 11
    What rod are you talking about? Connects the 2 front wheels? Maybe tie-rod (there are 4)? If a tie rod fails (breaks), the wheel usually just turns all the way left or right, but never comes off. The tire may peel off the rim, but the wheel should not come off. There are way too many other items that would have to break for that to happen.
  • saabbersaabber Member Posts: 84
    From what I heard, the car was drivable, but the wheels had shifted positions. Has anyone heard about this happening to a Concorde as well? From metal fatigue?
  • clayton4clayton4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 98 Concorde and have had nothing but trouble with it. I noticed in an earlier post that sears3 mentioned the rubber molding around the lights and doors was coming loose. Well, guess what? Last night after I got home I noticed that the rubber molding around my headlights was also coming loose. Additional checking revealed that the molding on back passenger door was also loose. If you have not purchased a Chrysler product yet, DON'T! They look great but have constant quality issues.
  • kiss2kiss2 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Clayton4!

I have a very good deal for you too! I still have the other pair of roller blades! Only $20 each! If you would like to have them, just let me know buddy okay?

I' can't believe how many dumb, uneducated people are coming up, and giving us their stupid bedtime stories.

Loosing a rubber molding! So what? Why don't you go and fix it? What about, if you have an empty fuel tank? Will you sue the DaimlerChrysler
    because you have to fill it up every 350 miles?

Did you buy your Concorde forever? Eh? How many mile on it?

Please be realistic! Stop complaining about the Concorde!

kiss2
  • jaestokjaestok Member Posts: 2
    Too many Concorde owners have so many Silver Spoons jammed in their mouth that they have lost a sense of reality.

Be glad you aren't driving a 1986 Chevy Celebrity or a similar rust bucket. Many people who aren't as fortunate are, and they would gladly take your Concordes with their loose moldings and road noise off your hands.
  • cool_robgcool_robg Member Posts: 10
    "Stop whining...", "Just be happy..." "Blah, blah, blah..."

You saps are probably the same guys over paying for these cars which in turn is making it tougher for the savvier consumer to get a good deal.
    Being disgruntled is a hell of a lot more entertaining than being content. Just check out the posts from the respective subscribers and you'll see my point. Most people who come here, do so looking for help b/c they don't know jack about automobiles. Show a little empathy for the love of god.

What is of no consequence to you may be the end of the world to someone else. You inherit the right to b*tch & moan when you plunk down your hard earned $$$ for a new automobile that should drive fabulously and look pristine for years to come (yes, years). The complaints you read are the result of what happens when things that shouldn't be going wrong do and are often compounded by the incompetence of dealers who know less about their cars than you do.

Don't bore us with the oldest argument in the book: "Things could be a lot worse...". You know what? They're not! They just suck a little bit. We don't allow things to get that bad.

Whiners, unite and be heard! There are few things more entertaining than a shaken consumer who can't figure out how to glue his rear view mirror back to the wind shield or even better, the reaction of others who read your cries for help and are unable to discern the real complaints from the tongue-in-cheek barbs.

You may not agree with what I've said (and you'd be wrong), but I'll bet damn sure that you were entertained!!!

CRG

P.S. Hey SR, it's bright silver, not gray. Get it straight! And the comment about the rear-lid dent was a low blow!
    Hey Rob - you're almost making sense! YOU have to understand the mentality of those who criticize the "whiners". They take such pride in their car choice that any man (or woman) who has a different opinion is crazy, stupid or both. There was once a guy named Adolf who had this type of mentality and...well you know that story.
    KISS2 & Jaestok - those who complain here are not being petty or uneducated. We paid $$$ for our cars and we expect a certain level of quality. In my case, DC fell way short of those expectations. I want to share my experience with other interested consumers. If a Concorde love-in is what you want, why not put an 8x10 glossy of your car on the ceiling over your bed and treat yourself? Some of us learn about defects from other postings, and maybe some lucky reader will spare himself the misery that people like Fastdriver and I have had as a result of our "bedtime stories."
    This is not about silver spoons or lack of education. To the contrary, I worked too hard for my money to let DC steal it by serving up the engineering failure that I leased. I spent enough years driving old cars and dealing with loose moldings and other petty problems that now, when I can finally afford a new car (thanks to my higher education), I expect more from it. You guys probably have little Chrysler keychains and wear Chrysler clothing. Thats all good and well, but it doesn't give you the right to prevent us from voicing our opinions. Rob is pobably right - you guys probably overpaid so much for your cars that you have to beleve thy are absolutely perfect to justify the fleecing that you took at the hands of your local dealer. Lighten up - this is America, and as far as I know, freedom of speech still exists - even on Edmunds.
    srinacar-

BRAVO srinacar! I echo your sentiments! IF and WHEN they have a problem, they'll see how their dealer/Chrysler will handle it! Of course, I'm sure that we'll never know! ;-))

fastdriver
    fastdriver,

as you well know, not everyone has had the misfortune you have had with your car and dealership. my y2k has been nearly flawless however my 98 intrepid needed a few minor things done to it...and my dealership performed the needed adjustments/repairs fast and on the first try... most chryslers aren't christine!
    emale-

I'm always happy to hear that SOME dealers really seem to follow the "5-STAR" guidelines as outlined at http://www.fivestar.com. It's too bad that Chrysler doesn't seem to have any control over those who don't.

I'm also happy that your y2k Chrysler has been flawless. I just wish that I could say the same thing for Christine.

Continued good luck.

fastdriver
  • djr29djr29 Member Posts: 1
    I didn't bother to read all the notes posted on the topic of the Concorde... I have nothing but GOOD things to say about this car. Prior to buying the Concorde I had driven Toyotas for 15 years and loved them. It was with much trepidation that I bought the Concorde and I have been very pleased - I've had the car for 2 full years. I have had no mechanical or elecrical problems. Yesterday on the freeway I got a whopping 32 miles per gallon (speed 55 to 75 mph)and today I got the standard 30 (with 23 in the city). The dealership has been very good - the only problem with the car (and I sent the complaint directly to Chrysler) - the car needs to be higher off the ground so the nose doesn't bottom out so frequently.. If you don't like the car you bought - don't suffer - get a different one...
  • florianmflorianm Member Posts: 3
    I own a 1999 Concorde LXi, and absolutely love it. It is a very nice looking, and nice driving car, despite a few minor bugs (power window problems, smelly AC..)

I have been noticing a vibration in my steering wheel at highway speeds. I thought the tires might be out of balance so I got them balanced, and that took care of the problem. However, only a week or two later, the vibration started again! So I went back and got another balance, even tried different places, but the same thing keeps happening.

Either the wheels have never been balanced right, or they keep falling out of balance really quickly for some reason. Has anybody else had similar problems? What's the secret?

Thanks!
    have you rotated them?
    I also have a 99 Concorde LXI and at about 13,000 miles I developed a slight shimmy and took my car to the dealer at which time I was told my front end was ok but it was a tire problem.
    I then went to Good Year tire store and they checked out my car and said my tires were out of balance and I paid and had all my tires balanced which made it a little better for a short time.
    I went back to the tire dealer and they replaced one tire they then said was the cause of my problem and that did take care of my shimmy.
    I now have about 35,000 miles on the original tires and have had a slight shimmy for the past 10,000 miles or so and the problem for sure is in the tires.
    The shimmy is not real bad or causing a safety hazard when driving so I have put up with it and fully realize the only way to correct it would be to purchase new tires.
    I have my tires rotated every 6,000 miles and check the tire pressure on a steady basis and still have had this problem.
    Depending on how many miles and tread depth you currently have on your tires now you may still be able to take your car into Good Year and have your tires prorated but they prorate based on the list price of a new tire and it may just be cheaper to buy elsewhere when you find a good price on the tires of your choice.
    Good luck in the future with you Concorde...
  • florianmflorianm Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies, guys, I appreciate it! It is good to know someone else has experienced similar things. And yes, emale, I did rotate the tires, more than once. Didn't make a diffrence except in the strength of the vibration.

I will check into the possible tire problem, and possibly get new tires. What are good tires for this car? The good years are a little bit mushy for my taste, and I would like something a little firmer. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    be sure to go to a goodyear shop and see what they'll do before you "buy" any tires yourself...
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    All these reliability issues can be said about DC, but this is outrageous, but of course they weren't DC car's, the were Chevy's.

Check it out:
    http://www.execpc.com/~thor101/impala/