Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Concorde

Comments

• rolheureuxrolheureux Member Posts: 5
    There is a small squeaking noise very difficult to ear coming from my steering column. It is there only when I turn the wheel clockwise at a definite point. It can be heard even when the car is not moving????
  • robw64robw64 Member Posts: 76
    I just bought a 2001 LXi on Saturday 12/29/01. After a couple of short trips I've noticed a very faint burning smell when I get out of the car. It smells somewhat plasticky. I thought it may be due to the vehicle being driven for the first time (it had only 52 miles on the odo). After watching the "Concorde Operating Tips" video included in the glove box which states minor oil use during the break in period is normal I haven't been too worried. The dealer is closed for the New Year's holiday so I can't call them. Anyone have any suggestions/comments? Thanks!
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Sound like you are smelling oil and stickers that are on the exhaust system . There are many stickers that are on the pipes to identify when we are building the car . Just keep an eye on this , if it continues take it back and have the dealer make sure nothing is touching the exhaust .
  • binubinu Member Posts: 81
    I remember getting a light 'burn' smell when my 98 Concorde Lxi was brand new. It was particularly noticeable while braking.

The smell was gone at around 300 miles.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    LOL! Sorry couldn't resist!

RR
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I had similar noises on my 300M. Turned out to be corrosion under the rack & pinion boots. Dealer replaced the steering column before figuring this out.
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    I own a 98 Intrepid ES, and noticed the same thing recently on cold mornings. The noise I was getting was a squeak/scraping sound that went away after several minutes. Dodge replaced two rubber steering mounts and that solved it. Seems they get brittle after a few years. There was no impact or effect on performance.
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    The problem was not solved with the rubber mounts. Dodge has ordered a new rack to be installed. Thankfully, it is being done under warranty.
    Hello everyone -- my 2001 Concorde LXi experiences heavy static on the radio when I turn on the rear defroster. Obviously, it has something to do with the integrated rear window antenna. The dealer couldn't find a cause when I took it in, so it goes back on Monday so they can consult with Chrysler in Detroit. Anyone experience something similar? By the way......I love this car!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    The Chrysler website shows two different photos for the interior/dashboard of the Concorde.

The dashboard shot shows a virtual twin of the 300M but the overhead interior shot shows a different, slightly bulging center stack.

What does the dashboard of the 2002 Concorde actually look like? Any photos out there?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    The Concorde LX & LXI have the original Concorde dash. The Concorde Limited (or former LHS) has the exact 300M dash. Any other questions?
    Nope, that's it for now. I'm relieved to know it's the same as the 300M interior as I find it sportier and more attractive than that of the LX/LXi.

BTW, I checked out the 300M forum as you suggested and found everyone there to be quite vocal and enthusiastic about their cars! It sounds like the Concorde Limited, while not a member of the club, has more in common with the 300M (though not as good looking) than with the Concorde LX/LXi.

I will continue to follow the 300M forum too, although I won't be customizing and tweaking my Concorde like I would if I personally owned it.

Regards,

Brian
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    For those of you that just hate to look at the air bag labels on the visors, there is a company that will make metal
    labels that will cover them. They have the Chrysler name and wing logo below it. Although not shown on their web site
    they will make them up in a rectangular shape with rounded edges at
    2-3/4" X 5" that will cover the sticker on the 300M visors.They are available in silver background with black letttering,
    black background with gold lettering or gold background with black lettering.The following catalogue numbers are not
    shown on the web site but are what you should use if you want to order them.
    VISORSLV-05 for silver background
    VISORBK-05 for black background
    VISORGLD-05 for gold background

If you are driving a Concord, Sebring ,Intrepid T&C or Neon and want these just measure your labels to make sure
    they will cover the stickers on your cars.
    You see what they look like for the PT cruiser and also place your orders at the following site.
    www.ptwarehouse.com/index1.htm
    They cost $16.00 U.S. a pair
  • ddampddamp Member Posts: 1
    Couldn't believe the price I was able to get yesterday on a leftover 2001 LXI. First, I found it difficult to believe they would even have any 2001s remaining this late in the year. After pricing my trade on Edmunds I figure they took off $7,000 from the sticker, not bad I think. The car is loaded with just about all options but side air bags. So the $29,255 sticker was reduced, to my calculations, to $22,000. The car has 60 miles on it. Everything I pull up on Edmunds says I got a great deal. Am I missing something? Did they have a glut of left over 2001s? Anyone have an ideal about this. It's really loaded with sunroof, the whole 9 yards as they say???????
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    The $7,000 off a leftover 2001 seems about right. The best I've heard of on a 300M is $7,000-$8,000 off a leftover 2001. Some places still do have quite a few leftover 2001's, I think jusy because not many people look at Chrysler's when shopping sedans. Most would still rather stick with their Camry's and Accord's and aren't adventurous enough for such a beauitful Chrysler!
  • rickgonzrickgonz Member Posts: 87
    ddamp:
    I can believe the deals that can still be had. Chrysler LH platform cars are the biggest value cars, underestimated and even looked down on by the import buying crowd. Some dealers are actually advertising $7K off sticker price on brand new cars. To me that's all that matters, because one day could be all the difference between a car labelled as 2001 or 2002. Anyway, $28K or so for a brand new 2001 300M can be found around these parts in No Va. So good luck and I hope you enjoy your new car.
    rick
  • ronmac1ronmac1 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a new 2002 Concorde LXI and am very happy with the vehicle. I'm always been a GM driver and have had 4 Buicks previously. The Concorde runs well, rides great and recently delivered 28mpg on the first long road trip. I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty (100k) and hopefully won't have to use it. I've heard horror stories on past Chrysler products and hope the bugs have been worked out of the 2002 models.
    Glad to hear you like your new Concorde.Even better is we got you away from GM. Keep us informed on how things go . the 2002 is a nice car.
    Today I test drove a 2002 Concorde Limited, in anticipation of the arrival of my new company car this May.

I am impressed! Powerful engine, comfy seats, high quality interior trim, stylish looking, great stereo, nimble handling. This car handles like a much smaller car and the dashboard is one of the best looking I've ever seen.

Negatives? Not the quietest cruiser, but not noisy either. Steering is over boosted. Questionable Chrysler reliability.

This one had a sunroof, luxury package, side airbags, and upgraded stereo for an MSRP of about $30,700. The salesman mentioned a $1500 rebate right now and the invoice on Edmunds comes out to $28,400. That's a lot of car for about $27,000!

I can't wait to get mine!
  • frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    I have had the car for 2 years and no issues.
    The car has been good to me so far. I am looking forward to paying it off.

Frank
  • mimi919mimi919 Member Posts: 85
    Well just another 2 months and my lease is up on my 99 Concorde LXI.
    I now have about 75,000 miles on my car and I have had several problems with the cooling fans, window and door motors but all were covered under my extended warranty.
    I have to say that overall my Concorde was a reliable vehicle and in my opionion I feel a well made car that in my time of ownership never required any mechanical drive train repairs.
    I always have and still do find the Concorde to be a very good looking car which has brought me many complements over the years.
    It's now time for me to replace my 99 Concorde and I have decided not to replace it with another Concorde and the main reasons being....extremely limited front legroom in the front passenger seat(not very comfortable if your over 6'tall but great if your under 6 foot(I have a friend who is 6'4" and when we go out together we can never take my car as he is too uncomfortable in the front passenger seat so we end up taking his car)......second reason and main reason is the noisy ride....I have to say that this has been the noisiest car I can remember owning....hopefully Chrysler in the future will design a new quieter car then I may very well become a Chrysler ownwer again .
    Maybe you haven't tried a Concorde/Intrepid model in last couple of years? The changes in 2001 weren't only things such as a rear center seat belt. Changes also included sound-deadening upgrades such as thicker glass in the doors, modified windshield and door mouldings, improved insulation in the wheel wells, and more. I would recommend you at least give the latest versions a try....you will probably be surprised at the difference a couple of years has made!
  • rickgonzrickgonz Member Posts: 87
    The best thing I did was to replace the tires: quieted the car quite a bit. I like the growl of the 2.7L engine when I step on the accelerator a bit.

Good luck and happy shopping!
  • jrosalesjrosales Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I purchased my Concorde used, with 35000 miles. I would like to purchase an extended warranty from a Chrysler dealer. The one dealer I called so far has quoted me $1400 for a bumper-bumper 4 year 48,000 mile warranty, with a $100 deductible.

Does this sound reasonable, or is there another avenue I should be pursuing in regards to getting a warranty? My cousin works at this dealership that gave me the price, and I had him look up the car I bought by VIN number, and I found out that 2 window motors have been replaced (both drivers side) and the AC Head was replaced, along with a dome light, all within the last year. So, hopefully all the problematic issues have already been taken care of.

I put a lot of miles on my cars, and the 48,000 warranty will probably only last me 1 year or so, possibly 14 months. I just don't know if its worth it! Any input?

PS - I LOVE this car!!!

Thanks!
    Jodie
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    try Chryslerwarranty.com.
    I just got a 7 yr 100,000 mi for about 60% of what Chrysler Corp. was going to charge,this is a five star dealer in Des Moines Iowa.

Also, try California Dream.com for a great spoiler to dress up the back end.
    JUST A WORD OF CAUTION, CHRYSLER SELLS THREE LEVELS OF PROTECTION, GOOD POWERTRAIN ONLY, BETTER 800 ITEMS, BEST OVER 5000 ITEMS BUMPER TO BUMPER. BE SURE YOU ARE COMPARING APPLES TO APPLES.
    Thank's for the tip on the air bag label covers.
    I put them on today, looks a lot better now.
    I went with the silver background as I do not like gold trim of any kind on a car, the silver at least blends with the chrome accents in the car.

when I called the fellow reminded me to make sure to put them on the right way so that they would be right side up with the visor in the down position, but I rather have them rightside up with the visor up, because I want them to look ok from the inside
    as I drive and do not care if they are upside down when I am driving into the sun.
  • ketonenketonen Member Posts: 1
    I would need for exporting purposes some kind of comparison between Concorde LX and Intrepid STD (model 1999). I would like to get the following type of information:
    -How many common parts these models share (%)
    -How many common part Concorde and 300M share (%)
    -Is the chassis the same in Concorde and 300M?
    -Is the chassis the same in Concorde and Intrepid?
    -Does Concorde LX have more in common with Intrepid STD/ES or 300M?

Basically I would need to prove that technically Concorde LX is closer to Intrepid than to 300M. Is this mission impossible?

Does anyone know the answer or know from where I can get this information?
  • kendrasuejoneskendrasuejones Member Posts: 15
    I have been shopping for a new car and fell in love with the Concorde. As I have had a problem with a new car in the past I am naturally concerned about any problem areas with the 2002. I love the way it handles, well. . . I LOVE everything about it! My main concern:
    1. safety
    2. reliability
    Thank you for any comments
  • ronmac1ronmac1 Member Posts: 6
    Kendra;

I bought a 2002 Concorde LXI 5 months ago and I've really enjoyed the car. It now has 9,880 miles with no complaints. Fuel mileage is 18-20 in town and 29 on the highway. I've been to Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico on two road trips from Texas and it runs great with a good ride.

I've always had GM cars and really was caught off guard by the 2002 Concorde. Shop around, get the full extended warranty and you should be in good shape.

RCM
    I know of no such comparison, but from what I've seen in the thick $90 2000 Service Manual that covers all of 300M, LHS, Concorde, and Intrepid, many parts are the same or similar. You could start there.

I imagine that the biggest variable would be the engine.

Why does this matter for export?

Did you ask this in the 300M discussion? I don't recall seeing it there.
  • rgarcia5rgarcia5 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 1998 Chrys. Concorde Lxi with 44000m. which happens to be very clean. It's loaded with all the bells and whistles except a sunroof. I paid $10,000. out the door. I believe I got a pretty good deal. Can anyone give me any info. on this particular year, good or bad? Also, I was thinking of purchasing an extended warranty but have heard mixed information on this subject. Also the dealer wouldn't give me a good price on one, I guess since he didn't make a kill'in on the purchase price, he'd make it on the warranty. Is it possible to still get an extended warranty from another Chrys. dealer eventhough I didn't purchase the car from them? Is it necessary to purchase one, are these cars that unreliable? What would be a reasonable price for such a warranty? Thanks for your help!
  • introuble1introuble1 Member Posts: 1
    Ok. Let me start by telling you that before the end of this story you will think I am an IDIOT. Well, I am.

Back in 1999 I bought a 1999 Concorde Sedan. It was a farely good ride. Little noisy but ok. Changed its oil regularly. I left the country and while away my brother in law drove and cared for the car. In March 2001 brother took it in for its 25,000 mile tune up and oil change. In april 2001 there were problems with the car slipping out of gear, not going into reverse or park. At that time the car had 28,213 miles and the dealership sighted internal parts in transmission faulty..The dealership replaced the transmission and changed the oil at that time.

The concorde came up for lease renewal in 2/2002 and I was going to turn it in. It passed Chryslers inspection but my husband and I were returning to the states and figured we would hold onto the car for 6 months more. BIG MISTAKE.

So... I am sure you are thinking many things at this point. Well in February my husband checked the oil...routine. No oil. That is funny the oil light never came on. Brother said last oil change in October but has no receipt. Went to have oil changed- mechanic said yikes. Need to have it changed again in two weeks to clean it out. We did. But last monday this noise started going. Yep folks at less than 45,000 miles and no warranty the engine is going to blow.

So please stop shaking your heads and let me know if this transmission and oil gussling problem could be related to my engine (hey I am a girl) and is it really possible that in 14,000 between the last oil change on record and the current that my engine tanked?

I ask this because my parents 1992 Olds Cutlass only needs its oil changed every 10,000 miles and has 165,000 miles on it and runs like a freaking top!!!

I need help so have pitty. Chrystler is pointing a finger at me. My
  • frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    I have a 2000 Concorde in great shape. It has leather, sunroof upgraded wheels etc.
    I was shocked to see the trade in value. I hope it holds up, because it is going down fast in value.
    THE ONLY WAY TO ENJOY A MOPAR IS TO BUY IT NEW AND BEAT IT INTO THE GROUND IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS. A HELL OF ALOT OF FUN FOR THE $$$$.

I have owned them since my first new one, a 69 Charger I bought new $4000.00 cash when I came back from Nam. They didn't hold their value then and they don"don't hold their value now but they look great and go fast what more can a man ask from his car.
  • billgiffbillgiff Member Posts: 16
    My warrenty has just ran out and my passenger door window motor fried. Good timing. Can anyone tell me how the door panel comes off. I don't want to break something and have my attempt at saving money back fire. By the way it's a 1999.
    There are a bunch of screws and push in clips holding the panel on. It would be imposable to detail the job in this posting. Why don't you get a service manual from a library or a aftermarket manual from your local auto parts store . This book will show you step by step on how to do the job. Spending a few bucks for this book is money well spent. As you are in Canada, try Canadian tire for the book .
  • rgarcia5rgarcia5 Member Posts: 4
    I just recently purchased a used 1998 chrysler concorde LXI. I noticed a button on the dash below the radio that reads "Traction Control" I notice that when I initially start the car it lights up on the dash "Traction On" and "Traction Off" then they both disappear. However, when I press the button I'm referring to, it lights up on the dash as "Traction Off" I guess my question is, do I have to press this button every time I start the car or just don't press anything? What is the correct way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, I also understand that the car can be programed to open the garage door. How does this work, do you need a special gadget to program that option? I'm waiting to recieve an owners manual from the dealer.
    For installing a new door mirror on a 300M, but might be useful here:

http://www.kwmuth.com/TechSupport/PDFs/21000190.pdf

• fritofrito Member Posts: 70
    You can leave the traction control button on or off to start the car, the dash light only comes on when it is switched off. I leave mine on all the time.

The HomeLink garage door opener system works by learning the code from your systems transmitter. Hold the button down while holding the button on the transmitter--the light will flash at a different rate (slower or faster I don't remember) when it has learned the frequency (10-15 seconds ususally). Some newer garage door systems have a button that must be pressed (on the opener) that allows the HomeLink system to learn the code. This requires two people to perform this task.
  • larryk5larryk5 Member Posts: 25
    Need new company car and thinking about the Concorde LXI. Test drove one today and was not happy with wind noise and road noise at highway speeds. It had Michilin tires and not the Goodyears. I had a 99 Intrepid ES and loved it until about 65k and things started going out. Drove it until 90k and would not have wanted to buy it off company.

I saw some post here that say the new 02's have had some additional sound deadening but I am not convinced. Anyone out there with 99 vs 02 experience that can chime in and any former Intrigue or Sable owners comment would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Larry
  • sheriff1sheriff1 Member Posts: 1
    I will be buying a Concorde LXi....think it's a great value for the $.I need the size for luggage and golf clubs and also appreciate the way this auto drives given its size.

Has anybody seen info on what changes are in store for '03? If anyone could list reference web sites, etc. I'd surely appreciate it!

I'd HATE to get my new ride and then kick myself when that model goes next generation the following model year. Don't all car lovers have this same problem/fear?

Thanks for your consideration.
    I haven't heard of any changes coming for '03. Of course, the '02 also gets you $1500 cash back and a 7 yr/100K warranty.

The Concorde is a lot of car for the money.

P.S. I'm still waiting for my '02 Concorde Limited (company car) to arrive. For what it's worth, I did find out that it will be blue.
    Your 02 Limited is identical to my wife"s 01 LHS, also steel blue. She says she has gotten more compliments on it than all her other cars combined.
    I love it , good power, ride, and looks all for 25 grand. What kind of company considers this a company car? Most company now go with Taurus or malibu's. Good luck with your new ride.
    When I first chose the Concorde LTD, I did it without the benefit of a test drive. I based my decision on the size, horsepower, and standard amenities. Now that I have test driven the car, I am glad I ordered it. It has a nice ride, good power, nimble handling (for such a big car), and a well finished interior.

BTW, the brochure I have indicates that there are two blue colours, steel and dark metallic. I prefer the steel blue and have been hoping to get one in that colour.

I'll let you know which one I get in about a month.
    all that confiscated drug money lets you guys get to drive around in those mafiaesque LHSes (oops, I mean Concordes)!!! ;^)
    Actually, the GSA price of the LTD was about $21,300.

The Mustang GT and Firebird Formula V8 were $19,800, as was the Ford Escape, Dodge Intrepid, and Buick LeSabre. The Taurus and Regal were about $18,500.

I considered all of the above cars, and I ultimately chose the Concorde. I think we (the taxpayers) got our money's worth. $20,000+/- is not unreasonable for a G-Ride that will see six or seven years of service.

frito - Personally, I prefer to think of the Concorde as a pimpin mofo ;)
    The best review of the Concorde (2nd Gen) I've seen, stated: 'Why buy a Taurus when you can have the Concorde...?'

and speakin' of a pimped Concorde, check out my homie Diego's ride at:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/search_results.pl?make=Chrysler&model=Concorde

Mijo is right on top!! She's a work in progress... Cast your vote while you're there!!

fedlawman: I can now rest assured that you g-boys are doin' your homework in the car department!

I think the old style nose is much more attractive than the current snout.

The window tint looks good.

The rims? At least he likes them, that's what counts...
    Yes, I agree the wide-oval grille is much more sleek 'n sexy than the one on the LHS (now Concorde). Thus, IMO Chrysler eliminated the better looking Concorde and not the LHS. Oh well, now my '99 LXi will be just that much more unique!