Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Park Avenue

Comments

• mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    My parents have an 89 Park Avenue which they purchased brand new this month 12 years ago and now at 140K, it still runs and looks great. I learned to drive on that car back in 91 when it was pretty new. I like the newer Park Avenues pretty well, but one problem is they have become quite expensive. A loaded Ultra will list for almost $40,000 and a base model will be in the mid 30s. For that kind of money, I would prefer a Cadillac or a luxury marque and I think that declining sales of the PA are showing that. For years, the Park was the best selling "near luxury" car, now the Acura 3.2 TL and Chrylser 300M are the best sellers in this class. I remember back in 89 my parent's Park Avenue listed for about $24,900 and it was pretty much loaded. But a Cadillac would cost nearly 30 then and didn't have much that the Buick didn't have. Today, a Deville isn't much more than a loaded Ultra and the Caddy has a modern DOHC V8, better appointed interior, and better warranty. Maybe with Oldsmobile being phased out, Buick will get to use their version of the Northstar V8 in the Park Avenue. As for quality, the 89 has been nearly flawless. Somethings like the water pump, serpantine belt, alternator, brakes, tires, plug wires etc have been replaced, but nothing major and the A/C is still ice cold on it's original compressor and has never had to have any freon added. Also, theirs has the digital instruments, climate control, concert sound stereo, trunk pull down, etc. and all these little extras still work fine. My dad has basically resigned himself to driving it until the wheels literally fall off.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Tell your boss to have Buick replace under warranty the wheel rims...I bet you these are bent and are the culprit behind the vibration.
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    Tell me what you think of these pictures of what GM thinks the Next Park Avenue should look like. It is being developped with Fiat. But the design is all Buick.

It's also RWD.

http://community.webshots.com/user/vinceburlapp
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    I have a 92 Ultra with close to 100k. The supercharger is going to need replacing. I went to magnusonproducts.com but it looks like they don't sell except to custom manufacturers. Also, what model does the car take. Up to now, I've only had to replace alternators and water pumps at mileages that seem premature. Can't GM get the
    quality up on these two parts?
  • rrf1339rrf1339 Member Posts: 2
    I love my 2000 PA ultra, but mainly I bought it over a LeSabre because at 6'7" I couldn't fit in the smaller vehicle. However, at age 36 I seem to be the youngest PA owner in America (or at least Massachusetts), judging by drivers of others I see on the road. Any other youngish PA owners out there?
  • trekkiejaztrekkiejaz Member Posts: 4
    Magnuson will sell to anybody as far as I know. I had to replace the supercharger on my 92 Pontiac Bonneville a couple of years ago. I purchased a rebuild supercharger from Magnuson. It was around $1100.00 if I remember. The Pontiac and the Buick use the same supercharger. The Eaton M62. By the way, Eaton manufactured the supercharger for GM and according to Eaton, it was designed to run for about 100,000 miles. So yours is in the right ballpark. Hope this helps.
  • rotaranrotaran Member Posts: 10
    Hi there. I'm just 31 years old and my 92 PA ist the best car i've ever had. Additionally, the PA was only saled in Germany between 1990 and 1996 and it's a very rare car here.
    Greetings from Germany.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Can you still buy a 2002 Park Avenue with a hood ornament? I have noticed that the PA and the Cadillac DeVille are the only American vehicles to offer a stand-up ornament these days, Lincoln and Olds having given them up years back.
  • zippy22zippy22 Member Posts: 2
    Just ordered a 2002 PA WITH the hood ornament. You cannot, however, have the hood ornament if you purchase an Ultra. Too bad, because I think it makes the car look even classier.
  • zippy22zippy22 Member Posts: 2
    Just ordered a 2002 Park Avenue at the age of 38. Is that close enough for young? Or have I hit the oldies?

By the way, anyone out there with a 2002 PA with any comments...good or bad?
    Hi there,
    i am looking for Fender Skirts for my 92 PA. Are they existing?
  • amaysingamaysing Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 94 PA. The car rides like a dream, except for one problem. At 50 MPH, it "stutters and loses power", almost like it is not getting any gas. Up to that speed, it runs beautifully and when I let off the gas pedal and "punch it", once it gets over 50 MPH, it again runs beautifully. Has anyone else had this problem? And, what is it? Any help here would be appreciated.
    Do you have the problem at low acceleration or fast acceleration?
    Attention PA Owners. I am looking for pictures of your Park Avenues for my Club Homepage. Will you send me one or two pictures of your car, even with a few words about the car and maybe about yourself? If i have enough pictures i want to start a voting for the most beautiful car.
    Send pictures to: rotaran@web.de
    Thank you.
    Best Regards,
    Mike
  • amaysingamaysing Member Posts: 2
    It does it at fast acceleration. I did some research and found out that it might be something called a "PROM" in the computer. My mechanic checked it out and told me as long as I do not drive it in overdrive, I would not have the problem, (but that would result in lousy gas mileage), he believes the problem is in the transmission. Evidently, the PROM is something only a dealer can replace, so, off to the dealer next. Any other ideas someone might have would be greatly appreciated.
  • 2si2mn2jb2si2mn2jb Member Posts: 6
    Unfortunately I purchased my 2001 Park Avenue before I knew of this web site. I also have a vibration problem and have had my car in on several occasions. First it was the balance, then an out of round tire, then bad balance, then Buick moved the motor mounts, (now the car idles as if it needs a tune-up) and finally after a vibrating trip to Florida, new Michelins. Each time the service managers assure me that the problem is solved. They must get their SPIN lessons from the politicians. I also have the sound when I steer right. This is the worst car I have owned in 47 years of car buying. Would anyone of you please advise me how you went about having Buick do something about this problem that they have known about for years. Did you seek arbitration, mediation, lemon law procedures, or sue? Thank you. 2si2mn2jb
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    You had better check your states' lemon laws. You should be able to get the generalities on it by doing a search on "Google.com". If you still like the car I would trade it in on a 2002. They have good incentives right now.
    Thank you for your reply, however I have scanned all previous 116 messages and do not see a message from fredvh. Please excuse me, but I do wonder if you are a Buick representative or a Buick dealer.

2si2mn2jb
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm sure fredvh was just trying to help. What he was probably referring to is that in most cases, the dealership gets just so many chances to fix the same problem. If it's not fixed in that number of visits, sometimes the Lemon Law can be applied to make them compensate you.

I'm sure the reason he suggested a google search for the law in your state is because it does vary.

Good luck.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    If I stepped on anyone's toes or ruffled any feathers, I apology. This car has been such a poor experience, that the suggestion that I purchase a new one was unacceptable. My intent was NOT to insult anyone.

2si2mn2jb
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Thanks Pat for your reply to 2si2mn2jb. Your explanation to him was exactly what I was thinking. Lemon Laws do vary from state to state and that is why I referred him to "google.com".
    2si2mn2jb: I am sorry if offended you when I suggested that you might consider buying a new one. We all know that sometimes a "good" vehicle can have a defect but it does not necessarily make the total vehicle a failure. I was under the impression that you liked the Buick except for this one problem. I am in no way associated with Buick or General Motors. I was just trying to help you in your situation. The Lemon Law might help you if you can find the details of it in your respective States' laws. If your vehicle fits the
    description of the Lemon Law then you can file a complaint or see an attorney that specializes in this type of complaint. I hope this helps.
  • tnauglertnaugler Member Posts: 5
    Like so many others, my '99 PA Ultra vibrated at hwy speeds. It took 5 trips to the dealer and an escalation to Buick to get a "fix.". The fix (really a band-aid) was to replace the Goodyears with Michelins and carefully balance them on the car at a state of the art speed shop (Not the dealer). Any time there is front end work (flat tire repair, new tires, ...) this process will have to be repeated.

I'm convinced that this widespread symptom is the result of a longstanding design flaw; i.e., the natural frequency of the front suspension is equal to that of a tire rolling at highway speed. This will cause any imbalance in a front wheel to resonate way out of proportion to the actual imbalance. The Buick rep said that this (the PA Ultra) is a "Problem Platform" but refused to elaborate. Its really a shame because its a great car otherwise.
  • f2u8503f2u8503 Member Posts: 2
    At speeds over roughly 55 mph my 99 ultra has a somewhat faint whistling sound that resembles a tea kettle right before the kettle comes to a full boil.It does not whistle when it rains.
    The sound seems to come from the lower center of the dash, so I replaced the wiper blades and the passenger compartment dust/pollen filter. Changing the filter which at 50K was quite clogged seemed to reduce the excessive wind noise, but the whistling persists. Any ideas what this could be?
  • matluomamatluoma Member Posts: 18
    My parents asked me to research a decent car for highway travel. (Current vehicle GMC truck) they are looking to add a 'curiser' car at a reasonable price.

Typical list of Wants/Needs:
    Dependable,
    Better mileage than GMC, 25 +
    Easy to get in & out of.
    Lux features (optional),
    power to merge/pass (on demand)
    Maintainable (backyard mechanic)

I though the 92 - 94 PA Ultra would a be decent fit (nice ride, decent gas mileage, power on demand, plenty of space, luxury amenities, reasonable price - especially compared to the GMC.)

But after reading that the Eaton supercharger is expected to live to 100K - I am wondering on my decision.... would a regular PA be a better choice. (92 - 95 Cars seem to be at or near 100K miles - so an update to supercharger would be additional $$.)

Suggestions are welcome.... especially from those who have had multiple PA's over the years.
    Thanks!
    Mat
    I sent a registered letter to G.M. and they asked that I bring the car into the dealer for them to again attempt to fix. They have had the car for 9 days and continue to say they cannot find the problem. They are now trying new hubs and rotors. I feel that they have torn this car apart. Although I know that I may be swimming upstream against the tide, I am one phone call away from calling my attorney. This has gone on for 11 months. 2si2mn2jb
    Be a contestant for the most beautiful Park Avenue 2002. Send a picture of your car (model year 91-96/97 only!) to:

rotaran@web.de

The voting will have 3 steps:
    1. Collecting the contestants photos and showing them on my web site: www.buickparkavenue.de.vu
    2. End of collecting and start to vote on autumn.
    3. End of the vote in mid December and proclamation of the winner on Christmas.
    Thank you for your support.
    Best regards,
    Mike.
  • scooby1798scooby1798 Member Posts: 1
    I reently purchased my second Buick - this time a PA. I have a few concerns, and was hoping that someone might be able to help me out. First, is there any adjustment or diagnosis for the ride control? It seems to be extremely "floaty" with a lot of side-to-side action. I test drove several PA's, and they didn't tend to do this. It doesn't have the touring suspension
    Secondly, It tends to buck and skip when trying to excelerate. Let off and it is ok. If you punch the gas, it bucks and skips like a bad plug or wire. I read in here about a PROM. Is that something different? I have an appointment for it at the dealer for next week, but was hoping to learn a little about the PA prior to that. THanks!

Mike
    After 11 days in the shop, the service dept. assured us that our trip to Philly would be uneventful. After our vibrating trip to Philly, I refused to return any calls to GM or the dealership and contacted my attorney. My wife, who is smarter than I, picked up the phone and proceded to let the owner of the dealership have it. Mind you, that my wife rarely speaks above a whisper. The next morning the zone manager called and spoke to my wife and again the walls of our house shook. That afternoon, the zone manager called back and said that they had found a 2002 with the same specs as our 2001. We drove the car and immediately realized what comfort and pleasure we had been missing. It was like night and day. GM then made an offer, that even an old hard head like me , could not refuse. GM and the dealership, the owner who did stand up for us, finally stood up to the plate. The moral of the story is that you can fight city hall and GM if you have a legitimate complaint, with good records, persistence, and a wife who rarely gets mad. We just took delivery of our 2002 PA and are very happy. Happy motoring to all. 2si2mn2jb PS fredvh, I apologize again.
  • eldoroddoeldoroddo Member Posts: 1
    I have 1992 Park Ave and the same problem, did anyone of you found the problem?
  • mqshawmqshaw Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my father in-law has just told me that he is selling his 1997 Buick Park Avenue, and was wondering if I am interested. Since I know nothing about them I would like to ask for your advice.

The car has 108K on the clock, and he is asking for $7K. He says that it is in great condition (and I trust him). I have looked at edmunds and the kbb, they both suggest a resale price of $8.5-$9.5K for about the same mileage.

I have read on your message board that people have had problems with the Park Avenue. Please can you advise me what you think.
  • iamawizzardiamawizzard Member Posts: 1
    Wife needs a road car...I found a 91 PA with 85K miles....clean in and out, but I need some history from former owners to let me know about this car. We really can't afford to make a mistake because school teachers don't make a lot of money and I wouldn't want her to have a bad experience on trips to help her folks.
    Thanks for your help!
    dm
  • mschoep1mschoep1 Member Posts: 4
    The auto climate control does work properly. Exterior temperature is usually higher than 150 degrees and the interior seems to cool only on AUTO.

Is this a costly repair?
  • new_comernew_comer Member Posts: 1
    After driving a couple of hours at highway speed with AC on Auto, the air flow through the vents stops and the fan motor continues to blow. Acts like it is freezing up, change setting to vent and slowly air flow starts up and eventually sudden burst of cold air and everything works for a couple of hours. Any help out there, dealer can't duplicate the problem.
  • jsousa1jsousa1 Member Posts: 1
    I PURCHASED A 98 PARK AVENUE WITH 36K MILES IT NOW HAS 48K MILES BUT IT HAS A PROBLEM. IT HESITATES WHEN TAKING A CORNER AND THE ACCELERATOR PETAL DOES NOT RESPOND WHEN ACCELERATING. IT FEELS LIKE IT HAS A GOVERNOR ON THE MOTOR NOT ALLOWING YOU TO ACCELERATE TO THE SPEED YOU WANT. THE ONLY WAY TO RECOVER IS TO TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE ACCELERATOR PETAL AND CONTINUE ON. SAME THING HAPPENS AT A COMPLETE STOP WHEN YOU ACCELERATE IT HESITATES AGAIN. THE DEALER CANNOT FIND ANY PROBLEM WITH THE CAR. THE ON BOARD COMPUTER DOES NOT REGISTER ANY CODES. ITS LIKE A DOG CHASING ITS TAIL. IF ANYBODY HAS ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS ON THIS MATTER PLEASE EMAIL ME AT JORGETHEPRESSMAN@AOL.COM. THE CAR IS GOING TO BE DIAGNOSED BY AN INDEPENDENT MECHANIC OUTSIDE OF THE DEALERSHIP.
  • rdbreitrdbreit Member Posts: 4
    During a failed inspection the following problem was found: at about 2200 rpm in PARK or in NEUTRAL a loud banging occurs (sound like in the transmission area to me) like the car is trying to jump into gear. Anyone have a similar problem or suggesion? I have about 69K miles.
    I have a '92 PA on which I recently replaced the Supercharger nose assembly (where the belt runs). It was making a medium grinding noise even at idle. Dealer wanted $2400+- to replace the whole supercharger. I bought the replacement part from magnusonproducts.com. It cost around $350 and solved the problem. Complete assembly at the time was about $100. At first I tried to just replace the nose assembly but could not get one bolt out. I then removed the complete supercharger and replaced the part. I did this on a Sunday and realized I should have gotten a gasket. I patched it with sealer but would recommend a new one (if only I had thought it out a bit). The supercharger has a lot of parts to disconnect to remove but if you take good notes and have a reasonable amount of engine repair experience it is not too bad. Send me a note if you are interested in more details. I have about 4000 miles on the new nose assembly with no grinding noises.
    The new assembly from magnusonproducts.com was about $1100 not the mistyped $100.
    I found out the loud bang was backfire not a transmission problem. We changed the Oxygen Sensor and put a computer on the system. The only negative read out is the exhaust is Rich. I will be taking it into the shop to determine what the backfire is about.
  • rj1118rj1118 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 92 PA w/162K and a grinding noise coming from the supercharger. Any details on the insallation of a replacement supercharger would be appreciated.
  • gilschmgilschm Member Posts: 1
    The air for the heater and A/C will not come out of the right vents. What is the problem?
  • h9470h9470 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My name is Larry and I am a Buick owner. (This almost sounds like a "AAA" opening statement). Anyway I brought a 95 Riveria and was told that the grinding noise was a belt tentioner. They replace it but the noise is still their. I think I have the same problem as you had with your Superchager. Q: Do you think if I just replace the front part, that it is all that is needed? Where can I buy parts from? I have worked on my own car: Brakes, starters, tune-ups and water pumps. Do you feel that with this limited expirerance in the automotive world I would have problems doing it myself? Your feed back would be appriceated, Larry
    I called Magneson supechargers and ordered a rebuilt supercharger for my 1992 Park Ave. It cost $1100 +(200core)+ $50shipping and was delivered in a week w/ prepaid return postage. Installation was moderately easy(about three hours) gasket was included. Car runs great there is no noise from new part at all. I'll let you know if they credit my account with the $200 core charge.
    Take off the belt if there is slop in the supercharger shaft the gears are worn and the blades are probably scraping each other, for this reason I would replace the whole unit. Mine had visible wear on the blades(shining edges), that was the noise I was hearing. The new unit had no play, very tight. Magneson was very good to deal with. Hope this helps
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Please help - I currently own a LeSabre and I am looking to move up to a DeVille or a Park Avenue. I like what i hear about the Ultra's added power and the new changes (portholes, etc.) but I found out that for 2003 all Ultra's come with the Gran Touring suspension. I would like to hear from owners who have the GT susp. - Is it too harsh? I am planning on driving one soon, but local dealers only have base models on the lot. Also - has anyone seen the new Silver Ice Blue color? it looks pretty nice in the brochure.
    Well, hadn't heard anything from PA owners. Finally test drove an ultra (w/gt suspension), and came away very impressed. Put an order in yesterday for a ming blue/shale leather, prestige package, eye cue, sunroof, rear park assist, 12-disc cd changer, and trunk net. Only options left off order were convenience console and engine block heater. Cant wait to drive it!!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Nice car! We loved our 2002 LeSabre rental that we had after an accident and almost bought one. Also looked at some "barely used" Park Avenues, and they have a much nicer interior and the outside looks better. I really like the new Ultra's with portholes and 17" chrome wheels. It should look great in Ming Blue and Shale!
    One vital statistic that Flint might want to know - i'm only 34. Their computers may not recognize a park avenue owner that young!
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Here's a link to a good article by semi-retired Phila Inquirer auto writer Al Haas (one of the best) about picking up a 2000 Buick Park Avenue coming off lease. He recommends it, especially in the base form (due to price). His impression is that the car is well-powered without the Ultra's supercharger, and he likes the Gran Touring suspension over the standard.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/classifieds/automotive/5060729- - - .htm

Regards,
    -ss4
  • desertrat5desertrat5 Member Posts: 85
    Hi John

I don't frequent this section very often. We own a 2003 Passat wagon and a 2000 Ultra. We traded a 1999 Park Avenue for the Ultra because of two reasons - the blue interior of the 99 was miserable to keep clean - it showed everything light in color, and because of the soft regular suspension. We bought the Ultra because I wanted the supercharger - in AZ we can go from 1000 feet asl to 8000 feet asl in about 100 miles. The car is really comfortable for long trips. We drove from Phx to San Francisco for Christmas etc. It has over 40,000 miles on it already. But it gave us a bunch of fits when it was new. Sun roof broke three times, windshield wipers twice, steering gave us so many problems that they finally replaced the whole rack. Tires were a pain also- Goodyears. Couldn't keep them balanced. Finally replaced them with Pirellis. Hope they work better. It has been relatively trouble free since about 25000 miles so knock on wood. Hope you enjoy yours

Bob in Glendale, AZ