Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    My 99 Villager had a chirping in the tran. and the dealer added an additive to it and it stopped. They claimed that the wrong transmission fluid had been added at one time or another. When it needed servicing the last time they changed the fluid to a Ford product.
  • esp63esp63 Member Posts: 27
    I just bought a bottle of slick 50 tranny treatment but haven't had a chance to drain the existing fluid(at least 12 oz. so the additive can be poured in). My dealer had previously replaced my drive belts and when I asked if the chirp could be related, the service people took this as the diagnosis and looked no further for the cause. I wound up driving away with a car that it's belts retensioned and a chirping transmission...
  • faruqimfaruqim Member Posts: 7
    I am planning to change oil myself. Can someone name a good manufacturer for oil filter if I decide not to use Nissan's.
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    I use Purolator filters from Sears in my 99 Quest. I would stay away form Fram filters.

Dave
  • gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    I have used ac-delco pf-2057 duraguard.
    Next, I will switch to bosch at autozone.
  • faruqimfaruqim Member Posts: 7
    Thanks folks about the filter info. I would ask one more question. Where do you dispose off the used oil other than draining in a Catch Basin?
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    NAPA Gold oil filters work just fine for me... 4 different vehicles in the family fleet.

KK: If they changed out the coolant during your 60k service, there might have been some residual air trapped in the cooling system, that eventually "burped" out & made your coolant level appear low. Top it off then keep an eye on it for sure... look for puddles under your parking space too. Good luck!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • john339john339 Member Posts: 229
    Speaking of oil issues, has the Quest had any engine failure problems like the Toyota Sienna has been having do to oil sludging up? I guess Toyota made a design change to the V6 in 1997 which caused the engine to run hotter and this has resulted in the engines sludging up prematurely and has resulted in several thousand engine failures which are not covered under warranty.
    Are there any model year Quests that are better or worse than the others in term of problems?
  • mteubnermteubner Member Posts: 5
    I've heard a few people say to stay away from Fram oil filterss. My brother and I have used them for many years and many hundreds of thousand miles with no problems. We both change the oil regularly (2.5k to 3k miles).
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    It is my understanding - and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong - that the 1999 Quest/Villagers suffered from many minor electrical glitches. This was the first year of the longer/wider Nissan/Mercury twins. I've seen several examples of blown fuses, melted tail light housings and power window/lock problems. The 2000 and 2001 models don't seem to suffer from these maladies.

Of course, pre-1999 models will likely develop exhaust manifold problems - so, pick your poison.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I had a 99 Quest SE that had minor electrical stuff.....like: it would lock its own doors, the tail lights were brake lights and the brake lights were tail lights....read, melted tail light housing. I'm sure there were other things that it did, but those are the only ones I can think of. I miss the van, we sold it after 8 months and 18K, needed something cheaper.
    any of the problems mentioned above with my 99 Villager. My worst problem is a rattle in the 3rd.row seat that the dealer has been working on, under warrenty ,and the Van now has 42000 mi. on it they have tried every thing except duct tape. (Which may be the answer). They've switched me over to the body shop from the service dept.now.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey Akangl, long time no see. My '99 had the infamous wiper stalk problem (wiper would come on when you hit the turn signal). My door actuators used to rattle a lot too, but that problem seems to have gone away on its own.

No "gel" issues that I've seen.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    The tail light housing was recalled on the 99 Quests/Villagers. Also the combination wiper switch. I just had mine replaced last week.

I have heard of reports of self locking doors on all model years. So far, ours has been working fine. But, I do carry an extra key in my pocket wherever we go just in case. Might be something that eventualled gets fixed by a recall, because it is a safety issue.

I change my own oil and save it in empty plastic gallon windshield washer fluid bottles. I used to use milk jugs, but the plastic those are made of is really thin and they tend to develop leaks. Not fun to clean up in the garage. When I have a few of them I take them to the city recycling center. They have a tank to collect used motor oil. Just call your city/town recycling department and they will tell you where to dispose of it.

Interestingly, when I changed my antifreeze, they told me to flush it down the toilet. Didn't seem right to me, but without any other opotions that's what I did.

Dave
  • wg45678wg45678 Member Posts: 55
    Fram oil filters:

If you check the Edmunds newsgroups on other Nissan products, you will find that Fram and several other oil filters (including Nissan's filter -- apparently made by Fram) have seem to have leaky anti-drain back valves. Result: your valves clatter on cold start after the car sits overnight. If you use Purolator, Mobil, or A/C Delco, this rarely happens. (Therefore there's less time with the engine running 'dry' which is the primary source of wear). I can testify to the truth by personal experience with Fram vs Purolator/Mobil my Maxima (2000) and Quest (1993). And I wasn't impressed by the casing on the Fram replacement filter for my Maxima-- compared to a Purolator, K&N filters it looked like an aluminum beverage can.

Antifreeze: it's considered hazardous waste. Your city recycling center (or perhaps auto parts store) should have taken it as well. I always recycle my used oil at the local Checker or Auto-Zone store.
    Thanks for the feedback on used Quests.
    Yeah, haven't posted in here for a while. No Quest to talk about. How ya been??

My Quest had the wiper stalk thingy replaced.....it was working fine before they replaced it, nothing but trouble after the recall replacement. Goes to show ya, if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

My kids were saying the other day how much they miss the Quest, I do too, but I sure love being able to go off-road in my Jeep.
  • mgr4mgr4 Member Posts: 2
    I finally figured out the problem with my check engine light.(see message 810). After purchasing a Chilton auto manual, it showed me a way to read code errors without a scanner. After narrowing it down to my EGR sensor, all I had to do was evaluate the EGR system. It turns out one of my vacuum lines going to my EGR sensor had a crack in it, which kept tripping my EGR sensor every time the car was at high way speeds. The length of the hose was so small the auto parts clerk couldn't even charge me for it. Car runs great now. Thanks to all those out there that offered advice.
    do you guys out there get the incabin filter changed? my Villager has 42,000 Mi. on it I think they vacumed it off at 30,000 Mi. but didn't change it.
    Akangl - I moved across town and my computer went south for 4 days. Plus I lost my DSL connection and have been limping along on dial-up for a week or so waiting for cable modem service (fingers crossed). Aren't you glad you asked? :-)

Cookie22 - I put some "Home Depot" filter material in my in-cabin filter trying to avoid the expense of the OEM replacement filter. Doesn't seem to work too good, but it's cheap. Maybe I'll break down and buy a new one at 90,000 miles.

And in the news:
    Quest for Nissan: bring fun to minivans

Steve
    Host
    SUVS, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Sounds like you have luck like mine. We bought a new truck for my husband and its been a pain in the butt. My Jeep has been great. We also have 3 horses now, so its work, work, work around here. My computer goes south every once in a while, Gateway can't figure out what's wrong with it.

Ok, now back on topic.....um, minivans, yeah, um, the Quest. I still have a dashmat laying around here and a bottle of touch up paint, can't find any takers. I do kind of miss my van.
  • etudesetudes Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,
    I just had my first encounter with the check engine light on our 1996 Quest and it turned out to be the EGR solenoid. The shop I took it to has ordered the part and so we're driving the van while we're waiting for the part to arrive. The light is off now and it hasn't relit after about 100 miles of driving. Now I'm thinking twice about buying this new solenoid ($90). Maybe the one in the vehicle now just "hiccupped" and set the code. Anyone have any experience with this one? Thanks for all the input people!
  • mjoy1mjoy1 Member Posts: 11
    Hi all, new here and have a question that hopefully hasn't been gone over to much. I have a 2001 Quest SE. Wondering what A/C Delco filter # you guys use. My local Wal-Mart doesn't list one available for the Quest. Thanks for the help.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    We've all seen the concept photos of the new Quest. We've all likely heard about the interesting features the new Quest might have. What I haven't heard is any news about the powertrain or suspension. Does anybody have information on this issue?
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    It looks beautiful. But I think it
    should provide 7 seats instead of 6.
    Otherwise, it will not hit the market again.
    You know, some Mid-size SUV try to
    provide 7 seats as an attractive point.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    will have a version of th VQ engine (think Maxima), that it should have had all along. The current van would be much sweeter with a nice 3.2l Max engine retuned for a little more torque and less growl

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mdvmdv Member Posts: 9
    I've recently purchased a 2000 Quest SE. After only one week, the display on the radio/CD/Tape/clock went out-just sort of faded out for no reason. The unit continues to work properly-just no display. A day or two later, the display reappeared-then slowly faded out. It's done this four or five times. I tried the time-proven method-banging on it with my hand-and had some success on a couple of occasions.It would come back on for a couple of mins or so. Then it would fade out again. Since this is now out of warranty, I'd like to try to fix this thing without having to shell out the overpriced bucks Nissan would surely charge for it. Anyone else had this same problem? and if so, what can be done?
    problem with my 99 Villager only it was under warranty so the dealer just replaced the whole unit. works fine now.
  • johnwngjohnwng Member Posts: 24
    My '99 Nissan Quest is almost time for a fuel filter change. This is usually a easy, but I just can't locate the filter. Does anyone know where the fuel filter is located? Thanks.
    Duraguard PF-2057 or Bosch-3323.
    There's also the Purolatpor-Prem but nobody seems to stock it.
    Been using the AC, my next will be the Bosch (if it matters, it's also some $1.50 cheaper).
    The filter is upright under the coolant reservoir area (under the splash guard). Can't miss it. Easy/quick to replace - out in front and no mess.
    Per the service manual graphic it's underneath a splashguard (the graphic isn't very clear on the location, it appears next to a subframe). An inspection under the van should be staightforward (the splashguard is secured by 2 nuts and 2 bolts) - I suspect the filter is on the driver side, forward of the tank/axle.
    Let us know.
    By the way, I'm sure you know that fuel line/system is pressurized.
  • esuteresuter Member Posts: 1
    How do I search this group?

I had a 98 Villager and traded it in on a 2002. I want to replace the radio with a new MP3 player but I can't seem to find a radio install kit for my Villager. Best Buy gave me one for up to a 98, but it didn't work (Go figure). Where can I get one from?

Either way, I'm sure that this question has been asked and I would also like to know how to search this group. Or, is there a better forum to ask these Villager questions on?

Thanks,
    Our search engine isn't especially good. That said, I don't recall seeing any recent posts about installing aftermarket radios. MP3 players really haven't hit mainstream, so there's very little about them on Town Hall yet.

Anyone got a vendor suggestion? Crutchfield maybe?

Steve
    Host
    You won't find a more active forum on the Quest/Vill than here in Edmund's.
    What format are you looking at (is that a double-DIN receiver)?
    Another, be prepared (probably) to lose steering/rear-seat controls when you go aftermarket (unless maybe you spend some $200 on fuzzy-logic language translator adapters).
  • jdigeorgiojdigeorgio Member Posts: 11
    I don't have a Quest van but there is something I have been wondering about for about a year now. About 10% (just a guess) of these vans that I see on the road has the rear hatch bashed in as if they were rear-ended by something tall or they backed into something tall. The glass is always intact - usually it's just the sheet metal. Is there something about this design that predisposes these vans to this kind of damage? Thought maybe it was related to poor visiblity, exceptionally good brakes (other guy couldn't stop!), bad brake lights (other guy didn't know!), really soft sheet metal in the hatch (I think not on this one), etc. Any ideas - I am not making this up. I have seen far too many of these vans with this type of damage and I don't see this pattern on the other models of vans - there has got to be a reason.
    That's interesting - I drive a Quest so I tend to notice them and Villagers on the road. I'll have to start looking at the rear hatches more closely because I haven't noticed that. My hatch has a small (2"?) dent from slamming it using the sheet metal instead of the liftgate handle, but it's hard to see (especially when it's as filthy as it usually is).

Steve
    Host
    I've noticed the phenomenon myself. I put a dent in my hatch when I smacked it with the side of my fist(not THAT hard). The lift struts were completely "out of gas"(one of the many minor warranty issues I've had) and it lowered itself just enough that I banged my head on the bottom of the tailgate when I stood up after loading some boxes into the back. Sheet metal has definitely gotten lighter... Maybe others have vented their frustrations in the same manner. More likely, people have been pushing against the tailgate to slam it closed. Flimsy, very flimsy.
    my son ,who is a paint and body man at the cadillac dealer here in town , was talking about how much more flimsey the sheet metal is in the newer autos. He restores a few 55 chevys and says the material is so much better in the older cars. So I will be a lot more careful how I close the back hatch on my Villager from now on.
    Light, thin steel (or some other material) means better gas mileage which helps the manufacturer meet its CAFE requirements.

Steve
    Host
    No doubt it costs and weighs less. It probably helps dissipate crash forces as well. But I wonder what lighter sheet metal does in terms of driving up total cost of ownership and insurance premiums if we're all winding up with lots more dents and dings. Just grist for the mill...
  • jwestjrjwestjr Member Posts: 2
    I've also got the disappearing display problem. Sometimes there's no display after starting the van, but it lights up eventually. Really weird but not worth spending the buck on a new unit.
  • charles15charles15 Member Posts: 57
    Anyone changed or had the brake fluid changed on the 99 or later Quest. Seem good sound preventive maintenance calls for brake fluid changes every two years but there is nothing about either brake or transmission fluid changes in the owners manual maintenance schedule.
  • ngoh9ngoh9 Member Posts: 7
    My 1995 Villager wants to stall after start the engine and shift to Drive, even it already warmed up.It does not happen every time but it getting more frequent now. I affraid it will die on free way some day.I 've replaced sparh plugs, new fuel filter, air filter,filled in 1 bottle of concerntrate fuel injection cleaner. What else It could be wrong ? Help

Ngoh9, San Jose
    Charles15, near as I can tell, those are "inspect" only items, but I have had my tranny fluid changed on my '99 GXE.

Ngoh9, Check out the The Mercury Villager and Nissan Quest Owners Resource and consider whether it may be a dying fuel pump. Good luck.

Steve
    Host
  • stanvstanv Member Posts: 10
    Ngoh9, We have a 95 Villager and experienced a similar problem in Oct 2000. On two occasions with my wife driving, the van just died she said. In the first instance the tow truck driver started it just before he was about to put in on the flat bed. Drove it to a Ford dealership and they found nothing. Happened again and back to the same dealership and nothing. They said if they could test it while it wouldn't start they could probably find the problem but everything is probably okay. This time, however, my wife got 50 feet out of the dealership and it died. They were slightly embarrassed and got it back to the shop. They fixed it this time and didn't charge us anything. They said they tighten a loose coil wire.
  • ngoh9ngoh9 Member Posts: 7
    To StanV, you said: the dealer tighten a loose coil wire . Do you you know what coil wire is that?

Yesterday I worked on " rear air blower problem". I soldered 2 jumper wires, and now it works great !! thanks Steve.

Now I still have 2 problems: engine stalled and engine warning light on.I will have to work on it . Hopefully the "town hall" will help me through.
  • johnwngjohnwng Member Posts: 24
    Gasguzz, thank you very much for your posts. Just as you said, the fuel filter is on the driver side, hides behind the splash guard, approximately underneath the driver seat. Changing the filter itself was easy, but I wouldn't be able to find if not for your posts. Thanks again. And by the way, where did you get your maintenance manual? I checked Amazon.com, AutoZone, AutoBarn already, but nobody carries Quest manual.
    Thanks for posting the results of your repair.
    I've got the factory manual from helminc.com (Ford).
This discussion has been closed.