Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm

Comments

• geo92geo92 Member Posts: 3
    I need help, my 92 geo prizm is my transportation from home to college,
    My brake light is on and also my battery is on also.. my hand brake is not up so I know its not that problem,
    I went to a mechanic a few days before it appeared and he said my brake pads were fine. I thinking it might be my alternator.
    My Car starts up like regular, but there is an a kinda exhaust smell,

Can anyone help? please? Much apprecaited.
  • joebert2joebert2 Member Posts: 3
    you have to go to the ,mechanic and they have to reset the computer to get the light off..you also need to find out what caused the light to come on.
  • joebert2joebert2 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like the alternator..also when you first crank up in the morning..does the engine sound noisy?The exhaust manifold is probably cracked..especially if your car has over 100, 000 miles on it..these typically crack after a lot of miles.Go get the alternator tested and also if you want to fix the manifold..i think it is a $300.00 job unless you can get a used one.
  • elmo1945elmo1945 Member Posts: 4
    Check the brake fluid level. The battery light could be the alternator, the battery or even the drive belt slipping.
    the only way to test the alternator is at the mechanic? and if its probably the alternator I would have to replace it, can't repair? You are right about the manifold it is broke/crack does that require repair or replacement? or can I drive without it?

thank you for your help guys
    now my cars confusing me, when I used my car run today for about 15mins. The two Check Battery and Brake light dissappeared.
    :confuse: does anyone know whats going on? maybe it was too cold since I am in albany.

thank you all for your advice
  • pinchelibiapinchelibia Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 98 prizm and I just cant find how to adjust the side mirrors. They have no knobs, instead there's just a little whole, it doesnt seem forced or anything it looks like they have always been like no-knobs mirrors. Then someone told me they were probably electric, we looked for the remote but couldnt find it. I could force them manually, but they are actually really hard to adjust in that way. So, anyone knows where's the remote or how can i adjust them????

Thanks a lot
  • lonelyazvamplonelyazvamp Member Posts: 1
    About a month ago took my fiance's prism to firestone to get oil changed...they said strut mounts were completely broken and they wouldn't be able to do it without replacing them...we didn't have money to do it then so we didn't get it done..What I am wondering is if the strut mounts can be broken but not the struts? Because it says nothing about the struts on this paperwork and am trying to get a price quote on what its going to take to fix.
  • wanger3wanger3 Member Posts: 7
    My son has a 93 Geo Prizm with 188,150 miles on it. The car will not go back to low gear unless you physically pull it back to low. After accelerating in low and you shift it to second it sounds like it jumps over second and goes into third. No power after it shifts and while pulling in third it jumps or hesitates like it's out of time and then once it gets above 40 mph it will go on like there's nothing wrong. Above 40 it does fine. Also it started to do this bumping and the engine check light will flash once when it does it,like it was missing on one cylinder, mostly at highway speeds, but does it at lower speeds too. Yesterday it did this right after coming off the highway and the light stayed on and the car lost about half it's pulling power. I drove it on to where I was going and shut it off. When I came back out to the car and started it, the light was out again and it was running normal again. Could this be caused by a bad oxygen sensor? I had a Buick that acted this way one time and that was what was wrong with it. :confuse: image
  • doktorfaustdoktorfaust Member Posts: 1
    I had this *exact* same sounding problem on my 2000 Prizm -- it also cost me some serious cash before figuring out what the problem was. Check the Mass Airflow Sensor -- mine was running a little lazy and chaotic. I ultimately had to take to the Toyota dealer before they figured out what was wrong. Apparently it was a fairly common problem on the Prizm/Corolla models of that time, but the Chevy guys didn't know jack about it and were just recommending replacing parts.

I have the Chevy manual for the 2000 prizm and ran through the various diagnostic tests myself, but was never able to come to a conclusion. While at the Toyota shop, I looked at the corresponding Toyota manual for the 2000 Corolla and it was much more insightful. It gave a specific test for determining if the MAF was functioning at appropriate values.
  • wanger3wanger3 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info. I will check it out and see what I can come up with. It also has some exast noise coming from under the hood when excelerating. I think that is the exast oxygen sensor. Thanks again.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    I am helping a friend out with her 2002 Chevy Prizm. She lost the owners manual, and we are trying to figure out how to change the time on the radio.
  • pakistanipakistani Member Posts: 3
    Just bought my first car, 93 geo prizm and am loving it, its a LSi, 85K miles bought it for 2000. manual with alloy wheels, does have a few lil things here and there but overall im loving it especially witht he corolla engine, nice reving engine, decent power, looks nice, classy interior for its time, handling is amazing for what it is, took a few turns at 90, loooong sweeping turns and it stuck to the road. did the top speed at 115 till fuel cut off, got threr pretty quick. some problems with it, driver side mirror is a little loose and almost comes off, need to tighten the screws, drum brakes are rusted, need to do something about that, also has ABS equipped
  • pakistanipakistani Member Posts: 3
    are there any other geo prizm forums which might have a little more life than this lol
  • renegade47renegade47 Member Posts: 1
    my in law has a 91 prism and is having weird starting problems 2. it decides when to start and when not to. have had batt. cable replaced and new starter after another put in. Has had new alt and belts and still will only start every now and again. has had new ignition put in to but always does the same thing. The mechanics are as dumbfounded as we are. They keep replacing and the car still acts as it has a mind of its own. We tryed to start it the other day and it wouldnt start. Went to try again in 10 mins and it started without any trouble. Took it to resturraunt in town just a few miles away and wouldnt crank at all and is still in shop trying to figure it out. This car has been very well maintained but yet it acts as though it has a mind of its own...Any help would be greatly appreciated for I am at roads end with it
    :sick:
  • emoashemoash Member Posts: 1
    A few weeks ago my 98 Chevy Prizm decided to think it was still on while the key isn't in the ignition. All the exterior lights stay on, oil light comes on, seat belt light flashes at me when seat belt isn't buckled, the wipers work, the air works, & the digitally displayed odometer stays on. At some points when I play with my wipers or turning signals while the car is supposed to be off the odometer arrow moves up & down like the car is accelerating. Since this problem occurred I've replaced my battery which was the original battery & have replaced blown fuses. None of which has fixed the problem.

Anyone have any idea what is going on with my car? I've gotten suggestions but I'd like some more with a little insight as to why, out of the blue, this would happen.
  • veenveen Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 chevy prizm that recently had an emissions solenoid (sp?) replaced. i don't know the exact part i just know it was something to do with emissions. anyway, today i was driving to work & some woman started honking her horn & making gestures for me to roll down my window. she said if my car was running bad to check the catalytic converter. my car is running fine & the engine light is not on or anything. is the catalytic converter something that commonly goes out in prizms or was the woman just a nutcase? thanks.
  • rick0rick0 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 91 Prism LSI with 68k on it.
    It starts up and idles great, then after a few minutes of running the idle gets rough and sometimes it even stalls.
    What could it be? I have changed plugs, oil, coolant, fuel filter. No change. Oh yeah, the Check Engine Light flashes at idle and whenever the rpm's stay constant.
    Thanks
  • lovemyprizmlotlovemyprizmlot Member Posts: 1
    am i the only one with a prizm that scrapes over speed bumps? is there any way to fix this?
    ((1990 prizm)) :(
  • jad789jad789 Member Posts: 2
    Try holding down the arrows for up and down. The up arrow should be for the hour and the down for the minute. You have to hold them down for a few seconds.
  • gordongirl69gordongirl69 Member Posts: 1
    the other day my raido stoping working and now it says err.- dose anybody know how to fix this. :sick:
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    Thanks. Shortly after I sent the original post out, I found out how to do it. Thanks again.
  • prizmguy01prizmguy01 Member Posts: 1
    I need some help changing the door handle inside on the driver's side. Has anyone removed the inside door panel? I want to switch the rear passenger door handle with the front. The handle is the same. The handle broke in half...very cheaply made. I've already changed the driver's seat because the weld on the back of the seat broke. Also the mileage has decreased drastically. After the catalytic converter was changed, mileage went from upper 30's to upper 20's to low 30's. It's crazy!! Any help would greatly be appreciated!! Thanks
  • caligrrlcaligrrl Member Posts: 1
    I also have a broken handle-inside driver's door. Not sure how to remove door panel either. Like prizmguy I also thought of switching the back one to the front. Because I'm no longer thrilled with rolling the window down to get out of car. :) Please help! Thank You in advance.
  • mvftwmvftw Member Posts: 4
    I would like to add a tach. I don't want to remove the dash and put in a LSI dash. Too much wiring. I was thinking about the 'A-pillar' gauge pods. Do they sell them for our cars? If so, who has them?
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    I just bought a 1994 LSI and the speedo does not work the needle just bounces between 0 and 20 mph. Does this car have a cable or is it an electronic speedo? I have not had a chance to tear apart the dash to see behind the gage cluster.
  • wanger1wanger1 Member Posts: 32
    Don't know. Ask the dealer. :confuse:
    My Shifter Indicator bulb is out on my '97 3 spd auto.
    The manual calls for a removal of the center console. Can I get to it by just prying off the top cover plate by the shifter...I'll guess these not enough room...but I'll ask anyway...
  • wanger1wanger1 Member Posts: 32
    Don't know. Just make sure there are no screws holding it down and pry gently. I do not have one of these cars. I was working on my son's when I signed up for this forum.
  • solidaritysolidarity Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Prism LSI. The sunroof cables broke and the sunroof will not open or tilt. My mechanic say, two cables are $600.00 plus labor. Any suggestions? I have had my electric drivers window fixed three times. The motor goes after the warrant on it is up. I am now having my cruise work only half the time. I have had this car three years and know it's got Toyota parts which means quality but are the sunroof cables and electrics GM? Does this mean I will have a junker like my past GM cars?
  • 2staffi2staffi Member Posts: 1
    :sick: I have a 1990 Prizm. I was wondering where I could find a good engine and what I could be looking to spend for it. I also was wondering if it would be possible to put a larger Geo engine in it. If anyone could help it would be great. I would love to keep this car on the road and need to do something fast or I will have to replace it.

Jake
  • jlud82jlud82 Member Posts: 2
    Pierce7 Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? i am having the exact same problem with my 95 prizm!! had the coil replaced but sputters between 2500-3500RPM. Any help would be appreciated....Josh :mad:
  • jlud82jlud82 Member Posts: 2
    My 95 prizm LSI was running great then started sputtering @ about 3000 RPM occasionally! It died one day and then the mech. put a new ignition coil in and it fired up! Now it sputters between 2500-3500 RPM unless you give it full throttle! Spark is good and fuel is good!!! What could it be????? Thanks Josh
    I want to touch up my '97 Prizm with Green Mica (code 54). I have found some sites that carry it, but there is a bigger selection for the Corolla. One color sounds close, just like to know if there the same...
  • jad789jad789 Member Posts: 2
    The lady might have seen emissions coming from your tailpipe. Catalytic converter has to do with emissions.
  • 92geo92geo Member Posts: 3
    I have a 92 Prism with the exact same problem. These two lights are intermittently on, but the charging system is fine. Plus the brakes and alt are two separate system so I assumed it might be a short. Let me know if you discover the true cause.

I have had an intermitent starting problem since November (went 7 months with no issue). When hot, it will sometimes not start. I'll add a separate post, but do you have this issue?
    Sometimes my starter will not crank when hot. When it first happened at thanksgiving, I tapped the started and it cranked. I replaced the started. No problems again until May. Same probblem when hot. After sitting, it will always start.

I replaced the started again. This time it went 3 weeks and started the same problem. The solenoid is on the starter so it has been replaced twice. Also I noted in the maintenace papers that the prior owners had also replaced the starter a year ago. I also replaced the battery a week ago. No impact on problem.

I loosened the starter to be sure it was in place and retighten. I looked ath the battery cable connection at the startedr and it was tight and looked fine. I know this is a common problem so hopefully someone has the answer.

BTW: My son's girlfriend has the Toyota version of this (91 andd auto transmission though) but is having the same problem. Replaced the starter and after a few months had the same problem. All starters came from Advance Auto.
    Does anybody know if the '97 Prizm & Corolla share the same front ABS sensor? I know the part numbers are different, but the difference could be the mounting hardware. The sensor and connector may be the same...
  • alpineralpiner Member Posts: 8
    My God....3000RPM, I didn't think the runts could turn that fast! Fuel filter?..... plugs often misfire at hi RPM.
  • alpineralpiner Member Posts: 8
    My 93 did the same thing until I broke down and removed it and put a heavier set of contacts in the solenoid. I couldn't believe how thin the off the shelf contacts were.
    What if your key switch has bad contacts and is not even switching on the starter solenoid/relay?
  • howdidigetherehowdidigethere Member Posts: 2
  • howdidigetherehowdidigethere Member Posts: 2
    i am looking to buy my friend's early 90s geo prizm with 23000 original miles. he is giving me the car for $350 (three hundred fifty bucks). there is but one problem with the car but i dont see it as much as a problem since the car is a steal. the car doesnt go in reverse. he said that i can either get a used tranny or a pin that costs 50 bucks. i want to know if it is worth it and has anyone had the same/similar problem and what needs to be done to fix it.

keywords: chevrolet, chevy, geo, prizm, toyota, corolla.
    Thanks. Can I buy heavier contacts at a parts store like NAPA? I replaced the started again about a week ago. For the moment , the problem has gone away, like it has done in the past with a starter replacement. I expect within a few weeks to a few months it will return.

I think the key switch contacts are fine. With the switch on start, the dash dims. If I release the clutch it brightens. So I can get the same response as the keyt switch by releasing and engaging the clutch with the key in start.
  • gus711gus711 Member Posts: 2
    My 1995 Geo Prizm has 228K miles and still runs great. I'm having parting pains since I plan to get a 2008 Toyota Corolla soon. Yet, I still think that I want to keep the Prizm for a few more months (or years)...

Has anyone driven a Prizm for 300K miles or more? Maybe an affirmative answer is what I need to hang onto my old friend!
  • califgeocalifgeo Member Posts: 1
    My fan is working intermittently and so far the mechanics haven't been able to fix it. The first one replaced a hose. The next one replaced the radiator. The third one finally listened to me and agreed the overheating problem is the fan. While they were working on finding out why the fan wouldn't come on it suddenly came on and they didn't know why. It worked fine for a few days and I got the relay replaced on it to see if that was the problem. It worked fine for another few days and now the fan isn't coming on again. I guess the next part I'll replace is the switch. Any ideas what could be causing the problem or which part to replace next?
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    I am loking at a 2002 Prizm base model w/stcik - does the engine have a timing chain (I hope :) ) or a belt (I hope not :cry: )? Thanks for any input.
  • giovanna145giovanna145 Member Posts: 1
    Crayla,
    Did you ever get this problem completely resolved? I just bought a 95 Prizm with 90K miles with the same problem. I took it to a mechanic and he couldn't find the problem. He suggested I take it to a muffler shop and have them check the exhaust lines for any blockage as the problem only starts when the car is warmed up. He also suggested me having the fuel pressure checked. Any advised would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • selinamvasqselinamvasq Member Posts: 1
    Ihave a 93 geo prizm with 75k. when i start it in the morning it puffs smoke for about 30sec then stops? It also makes a ticking noise that is pretty loud at startup then quiets down as it warms up....any ideas???
  • kickapookickapoo Member Posts: 8
    My 90 is at 298K & counting.
  • kickapookickapoo Member Posts: 8
    Wire fan directly to the battery. If it still stops & starts replace the fan motor. If in runs fine. It is in the wiring. It could be a therimal switch.