Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm

Comments

• meshuga139meshuga139 Member Posts: 11
    Hi all... I just checked out the new 2001 Prizm website and noticed that the fuel economy for the new 2001 Prizm seems to have been bumped up from 38mpg to 41mpg (with 5-speed).

There's no mention about what has been done to the engine to gain this improvement. The car still has the 1.8L VVTi engine rated at 125hp.

It would be nice if the changes/adjustments could be retrofitted to the 2000 model...As I drive about 600 miles a week (maybe increasing to 1150 miles soon) an extra 3mpg would certainly be appreciated.

Currently, driving almost exclusively on the interstate at speeds of 75 - 79 mph I get about 38mpg....I'm sure that the Michelin X-one tires I put on the car are buying me a couple of mpg's (as they are claimed to do - less rolling resistance).

Hmmmm....Maybe that's what Chevy did - start equipping the Prizms with X-one's...

Any ideas?
  • squeak6squeak6 Member Posts: 28
    .... I have a 1998 Prizm 5 speed...with 72,000 miles on it... I drive a lot ..... I have had no major problems... but I only get 31mpg.... I drive 76 -80 mph while on the highways ( my tires are at the correct pressure)... I read post of people getting 38 mpg .... what do I need to do to get better gas mileage..??.....I just got the fuel injectors cleaned at jiffy lube and the trans-fluid changed... any other comments would help as well...
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    with my 2000 LE until I switched to 16" rims and 45-series tires -- then it dropped to a consistent 30-32 mpg. I can stay at or near 70-80 on the way to work in the morning, but coming home there's a bit of a crawl here and there, so I'd say it's a good example of "mixed" or "city" driving, so I think the fuel mileage is fine. I've seen tests recently where the Focus and others got about 24-26 mpg in mixed driving, so I'm happy. Wheels and tires have a lot to do with it, but I'd rather pony up at the pump and keep my sticky skins than go back to those greaseball OEM tires.
  • kenprizm33kenprizm33 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just bought a 99 Prizm with automatic. How
    can I tell if it is the 3 or 4 speed automatic?

Thanks
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    4-spd automatic has an overdrive button on the shifter, 3-spd doesn't.

If it's prizm LSi, it comes with 4-spd, basline prizm comes with 3-spd (if I remember right).
  • ejc3ejc3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 Prizm and have 4K miles so far and have had no problems. Quite happy so far.
  • init4taryninit4taryn Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to add my comments...

I have a '98 Prizm, bought it in Dec. '99. It's a three speed automatic, with pretty much no options...does power steering count? :o)

So far, I've had no major problems with it. The only things I don't like about it are that there's no rear defroster, that the radio sits so low, and that the way the front cup holders are placed, you can't use them and the ashtray at the same time, and you can't get to your radio if there's something in the cup holder. The only problem I've had, and this is probably specific to my car, is that my ignition seems to eat keys. I didn't get an original key when I bought the car, and I've gone through about three of them since. I currently have two keys to my car on my key ring; one only works in the driver's side door and the ignition, and the other only works in the passenger side door and the trunk.

My finace has a '99 Malibu, and I've even noticed a couple things mine has that his doesn't (and only a couple...lol). His rear seat belts don't lock out for use with a child seat (not good when I want to put my child in there), and he doesn't have the remote opening gas door thingie.

One last thing, just an out of curiosity thing really. I'm from Virginia, and, at least up here, I seem to have the only Chevy Prizm in existance that doesn't have the big blue Chevy bowtie thing on the trunk (between the top and the lock). All the Chevy's I've seen have it, and all the ones that don't are Geos. I was just curious if anyone else out there has a Chevy Prizm with no bowtie on the trunk.
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    I bought a 1990 prizm new for $8700 dollars and 10 years later I have 295,000 miles on it, with the original engine, transmission and clutch!! The A/C is colder then my wifes new car and I never charged it once!! It starting to show some exterior battle scars but I will keep driving to it stops for good. By far one of the best built cars ever
  • emerald99emerald99 Member Posts: 2
    I was very nervous when I bought this car. I kept wondering if I made the right decision or not. I had heard that Prizms were very reliable cars, and I just fell in love with my car the first time I saw it. I hope that everything goes well.
    don't worry yourself -- it's a Toyota. They last forever. The only way you'd get hurt is if you bought a car someone had beaten on badly and never changed the oil. Otherwise, it'll last far beyond the point you get sick of seeing it in your driveway!
  • emerald99emerald99 Member Posts: 2
    I do love my Prizm a lot, and so far it rides beautifully. I feel much more at ease now. I was so apprehensive when I bought the car last week that he dealership called me yesterday to ask how everything was going! Thank you for responding to my post.
    Enjoy!
  • lallylally Member Posts: 5
    Is anyone out there having any problems with this light coming on. Mine has come on twice in the last 4000 miles and the dealer told me that it is that the gas cap was loose. It just came on again yesterday after another 700 miles and I know the gas cap is not loose because I pump my own gas with the engine shut off.
    while the U.S corolla only gets a face lift for 2001. Both japanese and European corolla get a total redesign.

Here are links to Toyota's offical website in Japan.

Interior shots:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/interior/index.html

Exterior shots:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/exterior/index.html

The corolla is longer (5.3"), taller (3.4"). And it's $561.7 cheaper. Oh, and the engine is 135 hp (up 10 hp) using a updated version of the current 1.8L VVt-i engine.

U.S probably will not get it until 2003. I wonder will there be a Prizm clone when it arrives. Enjoy.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    At the 2003 all new Toyota Corolla. Unfortunately, Chevy will dicontinue the Prizm model after the 2002 model year, since the all new "Delta" platform Opel based Cavalier will be debuting in Chevy showrooms in late 2002. But here is the kicker....

Both current J-Body cars (Cavalier and Sunfire) will be finally discontinued after the 2002 model year. In 2003, the Cavalier nameplate will comeback once again under a totally different platform "Delta" and a car based on the upcoming German Opel Astra. The "Sunbird" name will be discontinued for good and Pontiac will get an entry level hybrid Sport/Station Wagon based on the upcoming 2003 Toyota Corolla. Both, the all new 2003 Corolla and the Pontiac/Toyota Corolla spin off model will be built in the same exact assembly line at the NUMMI venture GM/Toyota plant in Fremmont, California.

GM will be completely revamping their sagging entry level offerings by marketing cars outsourced from Opel (Europe) and Japan based (Toyota). Like I said, unfortunately, Chevy will no longer get the Priz after the 2002 model year, but look for the all new Corolla wearing Pontiac colors. By the way NO CLADDING is projected for this Pontiac/Toyota hybrid wagon.

Interesting times at GM....
    may be coming on because of a vacuum leak -- that happened in my '00 Corolla about three weeks after I got it. They thought it was the gas cap too (apparently it's ultra-sensitive now because of Toyota's dust-up with CARB), but it turned out to be a vaccuum leak.
    Yes, both Europe and Japan gets the 2003 Corolla shown in the pictures as 2001 model. they went on sale last week. But we have to waite until 2003 to get it. that sucks!
  • rkdgrkdg Member Posts: 1
    Yes I heard that too about the Fremont California plant discontinuing Prizms. Has this been displayed as a concept car? Hopefully it won't look like the AZTEK. I wonder if it would be worth waiting another two years for it. What is meant by CLADDING? Thanks.
    After discontinue making the Prizm, I heard that Toyota is planning on the facility to make wagon/SUV in 2003 based on the (new?) corolla.
    won't be shared with the US - Calty will be designing our own version (thank God!). I'm sure it will be contented the way the new Japan-spec Corolla is, though -- much more luxurious with a similarly competitive price. The Japan-spec Corolla was designed in Europe and tweaked in Japan, and suffers from the slghtly wimpy look of the Prius and Echo.
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    Will the 2001 Prizm get a re-freshing? I checked out the Chevrolet Web site and It looked the same.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    that Corolla in those pictures makes the one we have now look like crap.

Why does the U.S. always get the shaft when it comes to good global cars?
    was designed in Japan, and the European version looks worse. Don't worry, our version will look as good or (hopefully) better. I don't mind the front end treament, I just don't like the high profile and those wimpy wheelwell openings. It makes the car look like a transportation appliance instead of something you wanna get in and DRIVE. The interior is gorgeous, though.
  • carlvr1carlvr1 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new '00 Prizm about 4 months ago. It just sat around for a while though while I knocked out the last few miles on my 1984 Chevy Cavalier (it had 140,000). I sold my Cavalier then for $400 and started driving my new Prizm for work a few months ago. I drive a route for my company and I put on about 4-5000 miles a month. My Prizm now has 8,000 miles on it and it runs like a clock. I enjoy spirited (hard and fast) driving very much and my Prizm with it's vvt-i engine delivers without a missing a beat. Even after the torture I put this car thru, the idle is still silky smooth and the car rides and handles great. The only minor thing I have noticed is significant fade in the brakes after extensive use of them. I also average 30mpg with the 3-speed automatic. I see the news that Chevy is getting rid of the Prizm in 2002. Too bad, because it seems to be the most reliable car in their stable so far.
    do everything in their power to not have to sell GOOD cars.

They'd much rather sell hump-back NASCAR wanna-be's (Monte Carlo's), poor man's Lexus LX wanna-be's (Escalades), and hermaphrodite van/SUV's (Aztek). They abandon and fail to update potential gold mine car lines like the Impala SS, and Camaro, so they can divert resources to building cars no one really gets excited about.
  • jmarquejmarque Member Posts: 1
    just bought a '98 prizm, 3 spd auto with 28k. have now taken it in to the dealer (still under warranty) for the 3rd time for this "check engine" light. 1st time they said "replaced transmission switch." 2nd time "adjust parking gear lever." waiting to see what 3rd time yields. anyone had similar problem or suggestion i could pass on to the dealer?
  • shishi Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Prism. On the gas cap, a car usually has a gas cap and a spring loaded "flap". On mine the "flap" is not there. Dealer told me there is none for the 2000 Prism. Should I believe them? Do you guys see this also?
    no flap, but there is a nifty slot on the fuel door for your gas cap when you take it off. Try it next time. Fits real nice but is sometimes subject to falling off.

Most would agree a tether is better.
  • redjrredjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 5 - speed Prizm, with cruise. When I come to a full stop the cruise completely cancels out and will not resume when I get back up to highway speed, and I have to reset it. The dealership tells me this is the normal design. Other vehicles I've had will resume on command. I think I'm getting a hose job? Or are they right?
  • doug_x90doug_x90 Member Posts: 5
    If Calty is designing the face-lift for the next
    Prizm, then we are in very good hands. Although
    not the same class as this car, they did an
    incredible job with the '00 Celica.

If GM ditches the Prizm eventually, it is 100%
    their loss. Somehow, I think we will always be
    able to buy a Corolla. I don't see Toyota canning
    the undisputed, bulletproof, King of Reliability.
    I just had my 2000 prizm in for the 3rd time in 5000 miles for the check engine light. First 2 times they blames the gas cap, yesterday they did a vaccum test and found no problems, so they called GM and there is a technical bulletin saying that they have been having problems with the evaporation canisters letting out pressure. So the ordered one for me. Maybe its the same for your problem.
  • fidldd4fidldd4 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2001 prizm sedan. The driver's seat hurts my back. There's a bar or something across the seat back near the seam. Has anyone else experienced this problem? And was the dealer able to fix it? This is my 3rd prizm (own a 91 & 96) and never experienced something like this before.
  • juniek1juniek1 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2000 Prism LSI. There is no reference in the owners service manual to replace the timing belt at a specified mileage. When they went to variable valve timing for 2000, did they add a timing chain? Also, Toyota has as an option for an all weather package which includes a heavy duty starter, heater, ventilator and rear heat ducts. Does the Prism LSI which contains rear heat ducts, include these heavy duty items?
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    juniek1, I am not sure about the 2000 model, but in my '98 they did use timing chain. As for the maintance requried for the chain, when I asked chevy dealer, they were not able to give me a good answer. They said that according to the experience on the "old V6 Buicks" (I'm quoting them) the chain might needs to be replaced at 120K mi. It seems to me that you can get better answer to any Prizm related questions at Toyota dealership :-)
    I've never heard about all weather package for the Prizm.
    I know for a fact that my 99 Corolla use a timing chain. But corolla did go to a VVt-i engine starting 2000 model year. Maybe they changed the timeing chain/belt thing, but I don't think they did.

The corolla engine is tune up-free for the first 100,000 miles. You don't have to do a engine or transmission tune up until then. The prizm should be the same thing.
  • squeakmeister1squeakmeister1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 Prizm in August and really like the car one problem that drove me crazy over time was a squeaking noise comming from the dashboard. Took it to the dealer after driving it for a month. Service dept heard the problem at first then couldn't find it told me i'd have to leave the car with them (they already had it 2 days!) Took the car back home and proceeded to remove the panel beneath the steering wheel to gain access to area where I thought noise was comming from. Lo and behold there it was..a bundle of wires wrapped in electrical tape rubbing against the inner dash behind the hazard/rear defroster switches. I moved the wires away from dash..No more squeak!! (it only took me 5 minutes to locate the problem.) Now I can say I'm 100% happy with the car!
    Corolla and Prizm owners have both complained about dash squeaks. Maybe you've found the cure (why couldn't the dealer?!!!).
  • 39043904 Member Posts: 16
    I recently decided to replace the AM/FM cassette player in my 99 Prizm with an AM/FM cd unit BUT due to it's double DIN size, all I can locate on the internet are $$$ priced units -- in the $300-$400+ range. The local Chevy dealer quoted me a price of $400+ (incl. installation) for an original equipment Delco unit. Does anyone know where I could find a quality cd unit (double DIN)in the $100-$200 range?? I did find some that fit that aren't double DIN but you have to use filler panels.
  • yorganyorgan Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1990 Geo Prizm GSi (4 door). It has about 135000 miles on the odo but is still as tight as new. No sqeaks, rattles, clicking sounds ... whatsoever. And in general, it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I owned a Volvo 245 station wagon before and had a few repairs performed on it now and then. However, the Prizm has NEVER been in the shop for ANY repair, except for the muffler and brake pads replacement which is normal wear and tear.
    How about an auto salvage place to get the OEM unit a lot cheaper?
  • fatoufatou Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a '96 GEO Prizm with 86,000 miles. I bought it from a dealer and there was only one previous owner. I do not know if the timing belt has been changed. How often do the older models like this need the belt replaced? I am concerned because of the number of miles and I had a belt brake on me before- not good news. Any ideas?
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Under "severe" service, 60,000 mile replacement. Under "normal" service, 60,000 mile "inspection", with no specified replacement interval.

Since you're headed for 90K, I would suggest getting it replaced - if you can find a Toyota dealer (it's a Toyota engine), they'll sometimes have a special offer to do the job for $200 or less.
  • blend_4blend_4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 prizm lsi
    Is it safe to say that:
    1. Tune up is at 100,000 miles
    2. What about timing belt, when should that be changed?
    3. How often should I change the anti-freeze?
    Thank you for your advice.
    The 99 Prizm has a 1.8L engine and a timing chain, not a belt - the chain does not need periodic replacement.
  • casey38casey38 Member Posts: 7
    We have a 94 Prism LSI . It has never been in the shop for any repairs. Just the normal new tires and brakes I'd reccomend prism to anyone
  • 39043904 Member Posts: 16
    The other day I noticed something strange about the AM/AM CD player in my 99 Prizm. It always has played well and the sound reproduction is relatively good BUT I noticed upon ejecting the cd from that player (after about an hour's worth of continuous playing) that the cd was rather hot to the touch. I also noticed that the digital display (shows the track playing, the time, elasped playing time, etc.) also gets rather warm. Is this normal?? This condition doesn't appear to damage the cds in anyway I can tell.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    I believe the CD player radio your Prizm has is teh same one that was offered in the early malibu ( 97-99). The hot radio is normal and it will not damage the cd. Touch the memory setting numbers and tehy should also be warm to mildly hot to the touch, it appears to be the way the radio works and there should be no cause for worries.
  • ckeemckeem Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a brand new 2000 Prizm LSI with 3 sp auto. One of the reasons for my purchase was its reliability, refinement and value (rebates). But from the first day I got the car, my prizm seems to emit lot's of engine noise. It produces a growl (reminds me of GM's version of sporty exhaust tune) during acceleration, and emits lots of engine booming at 65 mph plus, it feels like there is a hole between the firewall and the interior. Not the type of noise one relates to refinement. I took my car to the dealer twice to check whether there is improper sound seal in the firewall or transmission tunnel. The dealer could not find anything and told me that the sound is normal in all prizms. I have a driven other 2000 prizms and they don't have the growl or booming that my prizm has. Is this a unique problem to my car or are there other owners with similar noise problems?

Thanks
    Have the others been 4-speeds? A 3-speed transaxle will force the engine to run at higher rpms at highway speed - the overdrive gear in a 4-speed allows the engine to run slower and more quietly at speed. That's true of any car.
  • ckeemckeem Member Posts: 6
    Others were 3 speeds also. All cars ran at same RPM at highway speeds, although the 3 speed causes higher RPMs most of the noise was muffled, none seemed to have the booming sound that mine has. I wish I had sound meter to measure the decibels.