Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm

Comments

• 63627666362766 Member Posts: 5
    pinghu,
    I think I agree with you. If we are pretty sure
    that GM won't have Toyota making the prizm in
    the future, there won't be anything worth buying.
    I think the GM card and the cashback/rebate
    were the plus, or else I would have gotten
    a Toyota too.
    Thanks
  • atlga1atlga1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm the owner of a 5-speed base-model 90 Geo Prizm built at the NUMMI plant in California. I bought it exactly 10 years ago. It has 140,000 miles on it and is still is on its first clutch, with no signs of slippage.

I've been religious with oil changes every 3,000 miles. The only thing I've had to do outside of routine maintenance is replace the headliner and the driver's side seatbelt.

When is this car going to die? I only like to replace cars when they start costing me a lot of money, which explains why I've only owned two cars in the 17 years that I've graduated from college. (My first car, a 1981 Plymouth Champ--the twin to the Mitsubishi Mirage, died after 97,000 miles. It probably would have lasted longer if I was more regular with the oil changes...)

Anyone out there with long-lived Prizms/Corollas?I was hoping to jump up to a Toyota Avalon or Mitsubishi Diamante, but my car just won't die!
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Yup, I had a 87 Chevy Nova. That's what the Corolla clone was called before GM bunched all their import clones under the Geo badge.

Anyway, that car was rock solid. Got it from my dad as a hand-me-down. But ultimatly it was my complacency of it's reliability that killed it. By the time the car had 113,000 miles on it and I was 23, I know this car was never going to give me any problems, and got lazy on the oil change. (met my current wife, and lost my head for a while) The result was I forgot to check the oil level for 5 months (I use to check it once a month, and change it over every 6 months). During that long period, it developed a slow leak. It wouldn't have been a problem if I had checked the oil level more often. But what can I say... There goes the car after 12 years of faithful service to my father and I.

These corolla and it's clones just last forever, as long as you do your part in caring for it. I can see ads in the new paper about corollas with 200,000 and 300,000 miles on them. Geez!
    The point is, if you are going to wait for the car to die, and you do your regular oil change, it's probably going to be a long wait. :)
  • bertus1bertus1 Member Posts: 1
    OK then, which one should I buy? I owned a 95 Prism and liked it. I've driven a corolla and I liked it. Are Prisms going to be around or not?
    Is the used price of a corolla really going to be $1000 more than a Prism. I thought I knew what I wanted, now I'm confused again. Any more input or advice?
    Right now, without any rebates or incentives from GM on the Prizm. I would definitly go for the Corolla. The Prizm as it stands is actually priced higher than the Corolla without those rebates. :( Besides, the Corolla has much better resale.

When they come out with $1000-$2000 rebates, then think about the prizm.
  • cpzhangcpzhang Member Posts: 16
    On the recent Popular Science, there was one paper talking about the production plan for all the brands in US automobile market. As to the Prizm, it said:" in 2003, it will be stopped and a new small SUV, which based on the Collora platform will be its successor." Also this small SUV will be sold under Pontiac nameplate. I wish this will be a good one, like Honda CRV, rather than RAV4.
  • 130130 Member Posts: 7
    The airflow knob on my 99 Prizm is VERY hard to turn beyond the floor position. I took the car to two Chevy dealers and they claim that that's normal - that's the way all 99 Prizms are made. I suspect that they simply don't want or don't know to fix it. Is there anyone else having this problem?
    Thanks.
  • plcowdenplcowden Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking at the Prizm, basically because I have a lot of GM card points built up and I don't want to waste them. It is the only car in their line I'll even consider.

When I took the card out, it was because Saturn was a (new) company under GM. Well, lo and behold...they don't take GM card points! They said they might in the future so I've been building it up and hoping that it would get worked out or that GM would come out with something (over 6 years) that I would want to buy.

Anybody else get caught in this or hear anything on it (the GM vs Saturn issue w/ the card points?)
  • ohhohh Member Posts: 7
    they will never accept gm card points for purchasing saturn.
  • plcowdenplcowden Member Posts: 2
    Why won't they?
    That is just my impression. Of course, i could be wrong.
    I think you are right. They don't accept GM points for Saturns.

I got an GM credit car offer in the mail not long ago (you get 3-4 such offers each year). I read the details, and it said that the points can not be used towards Saturn and one other brand. Oh well. I wasn't interested in the card any way.

I think Saturn is selling ok that they don't need incentives such as GM card points or anythign to sell their quota. Therefore, you can't use GM card points to buy a saturn (that should cut into GM's profit margin, and heaven forbid that.)
  • twilli7400twilli7400 Member Posts: 1
    For anyone who may care, GM Card points are not accepted on Saabs either. Saab is owned by GM. I plan to buy a Prizm soon instead of a Corolla because of $1400 in GM Card points. I tried to buy a NEW 1998 Prizm tonight, MSRP $14,955, for $10,800 and they LAUGHED at me! This car is over 2 years old! 2000 models have been out for 2 months now! This new 1998 model would not sell for $9000 once I got it home!
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I bought a new 99 prizm in April.

I had 1900 GM dollars and the MSRP was 14800.

I got the car for 10,200 with discount, rebates and GM card rebate.

I would recommend going and trying a different dealer.
    wow! how did u manage to accumulate $1900 gm card rebates?
    got my gm card when I was a junior in college. I transferred my credit card balances back and forth to rack up rebate dollars back when GM gave you credit for balance transfers. Being a student or just out of school, I was always broke, having to charge stuff like wedding rings, vacations, furniture, car down payments. It can add up fast.

It's possible to rack up a huge rebate if you charge everything on your card. Nowadays I pay off my bablance every month. That 1900 bucks I got was probably equal or less than all the finance charges I've paid over the years.
  • pigshousepigshouse Member Posts: 2
    We're on our fifth Prizm/Nova since 1986: An '86 Nova hatchback (sold in '90 for $4500); an '87 Nova sedan purchased used in '97 for $450 - drive it every day, 120K miles; an '88 Twin Cam model - a great car! 4-wheel disc brakes, 4-speed automatic w/electronic overdrive, alloy wheels, etc. Sold it - with 140K miles on it - to my nephew. Now it's at 160K and still running strong. Leased a '96 Prizm LSi (nice) and now a '98. They just keep getting better. The standard upgraded tires (P185/65R14) seem to make a difference. The GM employee discount makes it an unbeatable deal, if you're lucky enough to qualify. Glad to hear GM is continuing with the 2000 model - lease is up next June. It'll be hard to pass it up.
  • wjcorbinwjcorbin Member Posts: 2
    This post summarizes some of the experiences I have had with my '89 Corolla DX and '93 Prizm LSi.

I purchased my '89 Corolla after trading in my '81 Corolla which had at that time 118,000 miles. At the time the '81 was running fine, the body was in good shape etc. After 10+ years I still have the '89 and it has 139,000 miles on it. My daughter, who just turned sixteen, now drives this car. One of the things that most impresses me about this car is its reliability (it's a Toyota, I know this should not surprise me). This car has never left any member of my family sitting. It has its original silver paint job which still looks great. There is one very small point of rust discoloration (about size of a dime) on the inside lower corner of the driver's door where it appears the rain water drains. This rust has not bubbled the paint, it merely is a rust colored spot on the metal. The car has its original water pump, clutch, alternator, engine and A/C unit. It has had brake pads replaced, timing belt replaced twice (per maintenance schedule)and other routine maintenance like oil/filter change, batteries replaced, spark plugs/wires and various belts and hoses replaced when appropriate. The car burns a little oil when started after having been left sitting for longer than a couple days. This happens only right after startup and stops after the first few seconds of operation. I think the valve guide seals are deteriating which allows a little oil to seep into the cylinder after being left inactive for a day or two.

Now for my '93 Prizm. The Prizm is a rebadged Toyota Corolla. It is made on the SAME assembly line as the Corolla in the Fremont, CA NUMMI plant jointly managed by GM/Toyota. The engine, transmission and even the wiper blade arms are are clearly marked TOYOTA. I did notice that the alternator is AC Delco rather than the Toyota's Nippondenso. I bought the Prizm rather than a Corolla because at the time, a similarly equipped Prizm was a better value than the Corolla, even though aside from styling and a few other minor differences, the two cars were essentially identical.

At this point the Prizm has 98,000 miles on it and it runs beautifully. Reliability has been EXCELLENT. The brakes are a case in point. I had the pads on the rear drum brakes replaced at 86,000 miles. Just this week I had the pads replaced on the front disk brakes for the first time at 98,000 miles!! Meinecke also machined the rotors, though I don't think they were warped to any degree since I have noticed no vibration/modulation or noise when braking. This car, like the older Corolla has never left me sitting. I will say that I think the quality on the paint job is better on the Corolla than the Prizm. I have many more fine chips on the hood etc than I do on the Corolla, even though both have been driven over the same highways under the same conditions. There are absolutely no rust spots on the Prizm at this point.

My point with this long post is, that as long as the Prizm's are manufactured with Toyota drivetrains, engines, etc., a consumer can be very confident they are getting a quality product that with reasonable maintenance should get 100,000+ miles easily. Now having said this, will some people experience problems with the Prizm or Corolla and the answer is yes. NO automaker can produce thousands of autos that are all perfect. But some automakers (Toyota, Honda, Saturn ...) produce vehicles that on average hold up better (in some cases, much better) than other makes. Note, this is also not a Japanese vs US issue either. Toyota and Honda both manufacture the majority of their vehicles sold in the US in the US. Of course all Saturns are produced in the US. When shopping for a car I tend to play the averages. Will a Corolla or Prizm on average be likely to be more reliable than say a Dodge Neon or MOST GM products and I think the answer is yes ;-).
  • PajaBrava1PajaBrava1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a '99 Chevy Prizm (Base) on 10/02/99. Two weeks later as I washed the car I "discovered" a lousy paint job starting just in front of the rear bumper, on both sides, running at about the same height to the front. I took the car back to the dealer thinking a drunk robot painted my car and one of the appraiser in the body shop said these were "Pebble Guards" to protect the paint job from pebbles and debris on the road. I checked all the other Prizms on the lot and, lo and behold, each had the same thing. Is this for real or just a marketing/weasel ploy?
  • akapla01akapla01 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone done the math to see which is a better deal? Prizm LSI with 4 Speed Auto, ABS, Moonroof, Alloys, Side Airbags, CD vs the same on the Corolla LE? I believe the Prizm has a $1000 rebate.

I have a quote on the above Prizm for $15800 + taxes (GMS Discount + $1000 rebate). Good price???
    sounds like a pretty good price. :)
  • 39043904 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone have any updates on (or solutions to)the '99 Prizms' high-pitched whinning problem. I've now had my Prizm to three different dealerships - one was even a Toyota dealership!!! They either can't fix it, don't know what it is, or claim it's a normal sound for that particular engine. All the dealership mechanics clearly hear it and most even agree with me that it is incredibly annoying. I really like this car BUT I absolutely hate that annoying whinning noise -- especially when it cost almost $16k. Since I've just about had it with my "friends" at Chevrolet, I filed a formal complaint with the BBB Auto Line.
  • funduletfundulet Member Posts: 8
    My 99 Prizm has been whining ever since I bought it. I took it to all the Chevy dealers around, they claim that it's normal or that it's the air rushing in and there's nothing they can do about it. I have a friend who is a mechanic for BMW and he told me that dealerships get very little money for fixing cars under warranty so that they couldn't care less about repairing them. Hence the "it's normal for this kind of engine" answers.

Now, this is a widespread problem, a lot of Prizms and Corollas whine, even the 2000 models. I haven't heard of anyone who was able to fix it. The big question is if this is going to be a big problem in the future, causing the engine to go bad. What if that will happen after the warranty expires?

I also have another problem with my 99 Prizm. The airflow knob is VERY HARD to turn all the way to the right. I know of another guy who has this problem. Is there anyone else experiencing this? The Chevy dealers claimed that it's normal, of course.
  • kpdaughertykpdaugherty Member Posts: 4
    I have almost 9000 miles on my 99 Prism since I bought it new on 12 July 99. I love it. I routinely get 42-44 mpg on the highway and 35-38 around town (5 speed). I also have the whining noise. My heater knob is just fine. The price was $12,200 after rebates. My only complaint is the crappy aftermarket cruise control that they put in the car. When I complained about it the answer was, "we didn't tell you we were going to put Genuine Chevrolet parts in your car". They then told me that it was impossible to put the Factory like cruise in the car. But Toyota sells a kit to do it to the corolla. Anyone else have the same issue?
    I haven't noticed a problem with my airflow knob but since you mentioned airflow, I did notice that when the airflow setting is on heater mode, most of the air comes up through the winshield defroster ducts and on up into my face rather than being directed downward to the floor. I had my Prizm to the dealership on 10/29, they had a look-see, and once again said "there's nothing wrong -- it's functioning normally."

Sorry to hear about the aftermarket cruise thing!! My Prizm has the factory unit and it works great.

I've been at odds with Chevrolet over this whinning problem since August and the struggle continues....
  • mazda323mazda323 Member Posts: 66
    I have a 98 Corolla and noticed the same problem with the heater mode (hot air going to windshield defroster when it should only be going to my feet). A new courtesy Corolla I drove while mine was in the body shop(unplanned encounter with a canoe on the highway) had the same problem.
    I think that the heating system was designed that way. When the settings are on floor heat, the windshield will fog (because of wet floor mats, snow...) So in the winter, you can still warm your feet and not have to worry about the windshield fogging up.
    Does that make any sense?? I thought it did.
    Yes, it does make sense!! Thanks for the info.

The only problem is that when you have the fan set at highest setting in the heater mode you get a most unpleasant blast of hot air right square in the face. I get very little warm air (75% defroster/25% heater)at floor level.

Since hot air rises, your face/neck stay REAL warm and the cold, heavier air remains at floor level--thus your feet remain cold.
  • mazda323mazda323 Member Posts: 66
    The ratio in my car is about 65% feet and 35% windshield. And since I am not very tall (5'9") and sit far back, I don't get a blast of hot air in the face. Could always stuff your gloves in the windshield vent to reduce the flow.
  • gunawanfgunawanf Member Posts: 1
    How many of you, Prism LSi owners, have 5 spd manual transmission? I am interested in Prism LSi w/ a 5 spd manual but only find automatics in the local dealer. I know a lot of the base models are equipped with 5 spd. I am only interested in the LSi model.
  • squeak6squeak6 Member Posts: 28
    .... I have a 98' with 44K miles ( I drive a lot) I had to replace the tires... I thought I would be getting better gas millage but I'm not I currently get about 32 mpg... is that good for a 5 speed....? I also hear a low thump when I turn the air on, does anyone else have that...? by the way this is the base model... I am going to get a tune up a little early to see if that will help with the gas... I also the engine is kinda loud...
    32 miles per gallon is about normal for a mix of city and highway driving (mostly city driving).

I dont' know about the noise though.
  • toomanychoicestoomanychoices Member Posts: 18
    Well, I bought a new 1999 Mitsubishi Diamante (after reading the posts for Diamante, I30s, and Avalons and doing test drives)and have to say goodbye to my 1990 Prizm. I got a great price on the Diamante--$21,000 for the base model with the CD option, but the dealer was only willing to give me $500 for the Prizm.

I needed a larger car to haul around the inlaws when they're in town, and both my husband and I are long-legged, which meant that the inlaws rode in the back seat of the Prizm with their knees in their chins. The Diamante is an overlooked luxury car with a wonderful ride and plenty of leg and headroom front and back.

Anyway, I wrote earlier in this topic (Post #52) about the Prizm's great reliability--this car has never left me stranded. So I hope I find it a good home.
  • mwood2mwood2 Member Posts: 2
    I was just wondering if anyone else has a speed surge at about 43 mph on their 3 speed Prizm transmission. Someone told me that that was when the 16 valve kicked in. Is this true? If you try to hold the speed on 43 it is always trying to slow down or speed up. That is the only place I feel this happening, and it will happen every time. I welcome any comments or answers.

Also, the engine always feels like it is stressed when going above 60mph. Is this normal on a 3 speed?

Maudie Wood
  • boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    How is a Diamante only 21k? Please fill me in, I have a 2000 Galant that after hearing how much you paid I feel ripped off. My Galant is great as far as engine and drivetrain but the quality is not as good as the main Japanese makers. The engine can really move even though its only a 2.4 4-cyl.
  • mwood2mwood2 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to add that the problem with speed surge at 43 mph is on a 1999 Chevy Prizm with 3 speed automatic and DOHC. Has anyone else experienced this or is there anyone out there that could explain this??
    How did I get a new Diamante for $21,000? This was the dealer's advertised price for it (and it wasn't a program car) in the local newspaper. (Didn't include tax, tag, title, delivery fee, etc.--my drive off cost was actually about $22,500.) I live in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, where everybody wants to drive a Lexus, BMW, Jag, Infiniti, Acura, etc. The Diamante just doesn't carry the same prestige, although it certainly is luxy enough. My car was probably on the lot for about 6 months.

You might want to check out the Diamante topics.
  • 1dmp11dmp1 Member Posts: 1
    I took the 00 Prism LSi 3 speed automatic for a ride and loved it, but am not sure whether its worth getting the 4 speed automatic. What do you think? Is it worth the extra price of 880.00 vs the 495.00? Any other advise would also be helpful....
  • 63627666362766 Member Posts: 5
    Do you mostly drive in the city and don't plan to go on a long trip ever? Do you not plan to drive on a highway ever? Then 3-speed is a bargain. However, if you plan to use your car normally and drive on highway at speed limit. Definitely get the 4 speed. I think it gives better mpg too. Of course, the standard transmission gives the best mpg. If you drive automatic, have the over-drive on is also good.
  • ruby88ruby88 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 Prizm. So far I am happy with it (though I paid too much for it), except for one thing, and that is the above-mentioned performance at highway speeds. It's hard on my right foot after a while, and just feels to be working uncomfortably hard above 60mph. I wish I'd gone with the 4-speed automatic (or 5-speed manual).
  • wjcorbinwjcorbin Member Posts: 2
    mwood2,
    First your 16 valves (2 input, 2 exhaust) are operating all the time on your car. The surge you feel at 43 mph is very probably your automatic transmission kicking down into the lower gear, hence the surge feeling. At the change to a lower gear, the rpms increase giving a surging feeling. By itself this is not something usually to worry about. Your autotrans just has its shift point at that speed.
  • squeak6squeak6 Member Posts: 28
    ... I drive about 73 mph on the highway and still get only about 32/33 mpg... why is my car getting such a log gas rate..? I am using 87 gas.... in the city I also get about 31/32... Y does the automatic get better gas millage... what can I do to get better mgp... ( I am not trying to go to the moon on one tank but I just want better mpg)....
  • labrat1labrat1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 90 Geo Prizm LSi. It had a very slight but hardly noticable whine to it. At about 120,000 miles the whining started getting louder. I thought it was just getting older. One day I was driving along and went from 40mph to 0mph in about 5 feet. Thank God I was wearing my seat belt. It turned out the whining sound was the transmission. The "rear" transmission was running low on grease and eventually ran out, causing my transmission to shred to pieces. Unfortunatly, my car was no longer under warranty. I paid $1200 for a new transmission, and my geo is running smoothly again. Just thought you guys with whiny cars might keep your heads up about this. Maybe its a transmission thing.
  • spkornspkorn Member Posts: 4
    The difference in cost will more than be made up at the time you see -- in terms of better price and ease of finding a buyer. Go with more advanced 4 speed auto.

I'm now looking for an LSi model. No dealers seem to stock them, and virtually never in a 5 speed. Any idea why such low stock on hand?? I can order, but don't know what incentives will be upon delivery.
    I used a local autotrading magazine to sell my 5-speed base Prizm (140k). The ad appeared last week and today I sold the car.

I was asking $2,250, but sold it for $2,000. A lot better than the $500 the Mitsubishi dealer offered me when I tried to trade it in for a 1999 Diamante. According to Edmunds, the fair market value is $2,020, so I feel good about the price I got. I hope its new owner takes as good care of it as I did.

I wrote earlier in this topic (Post #52)
    about the Prizm's great reliability--this car
    never left me stranded.
  • cynthia83cynthia83 Member Posts: 7
    HI,

I have a 99 prizm with about 4600 miles on it.. Bought it new back in August. I have noticed the heater thing too, with most of the air directed towards the face rather than the feet... and I have noticed the "surge" too, on my speedometer(mine is like 2 or 3 mph's off, found this out after passing by a handy lil police radar thingy) it shows about 45 mph and it feels like the car cant decide upon a gear like it kicks up, then it kicks down.... but if I am below or above 45, it seems to be fine, and I also have noticed that when I am driving on the highway, around 65 or 70, the engine gets real loud and seems to be running a little rough.. guess its just too fast for them 4 lil hamsters under the hood... I have a 3 spd auto trans in my little prizm... for the most part, I love it... but she has already been to the shop once because the check engine light came on and took it in and to no surprise, something was wrong... they had to replace the emissions canister.. whatever that is.... but I recommend this car for a great first car... I am 16 and it is my first car... and I really enjoy it... gets me where I need to go and gets up and goes when it wants too... still haven't had any whining thank goodness, but I do have the "pebble guard" thing too, I noticed it the first time I washed my car, looks like a path of little bumps under the paint surface... I think that "pebble guard" claim is a bunch of crap but who knows....
  • cynthia83cynthia83 Member Posts: 7
    hi,

i just posted about my gripes in #97, and forgot to mention that if there is anyone out there who needs advice from an owner, they can email me... Will gladly recommend this car to any parents considering buying their teenager a Prizm.

cynthia@dallas.net
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I'm helping my niece buy her first new car and am giving her $2500 in GM rebate money - I've finally decided that I'll never find a GM car I'll buy so she might as well have them.

So we're looking at a Prizm. Chevy was doing a $1500 rebate up until yesterday - anybody know if they are going to continue it.

She wants a 5-speed base with ABS. I'm skeptical that this is going to be on a lot. Anybody order one? How long to get?

Thanks,

- Mark
    When I bought my '99 in April I was looking for the cheapest I could find, but I had considered paying for ABS. In searching about 10 lots and on www.gmbuypower.com I don't recall finding a base Prizm 5-sp with ABS. So I bought a base Prizm with a 5-sp without one. Also, if you order it, you may not get the rebates.

I configured mine on the net and then tried to find the car I wanted (base 5sp, no abs, no radio, but with cruise, moonroof, defroster and power locks the MSRP would have been 15,300 and I would've been happy. I would've gladly paid 700 bucks for the power sunroof. But the one I settle for had a 700 dollar optional radio (CD, 700 bucks what a rip) and not even floor mats! The msrp of mine was 14,800 and I got the car after rebates and discount for 10,100 (including GM card).

Honestly, I love the Prizm, its very well made. But if I were to do it over again, I would've waited and got a Ford Focus ZX3.

Does the 2000 Prizm have Variable Valve timing?
    regfootball:

It should have vvt-i. Toyota build the Corolla/Prizm, and they share all the major components, that would include the engine. Since 2000 corolla all have vvt-i engine, so should the 2000 prizm.

Damn, I should have waited a year to get the vvt-i engine. :(