Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• Options
    mykidsdrivermykidsdriver Member Posts: 21
    Ours did that badly on first tank of gas, but never again. We found out our tires were way overinflated (45) and expected a big drop in gas mileage, but it did not happen... How many miles do you have on mpg? ours has 3,700 and it gets between 18.1 and 19.3 in city driving. Can get 24 mpg on highway. We have (dual) air on almost constantly, with outdoor temps in high 80s/mid-90s.
  • Options
    greenbirdgreenbird Member Posts: 5
    Thinking about purchasing a E 350 with 3.55 rear Would like feedback on non towing mileage expectations
  • Options
    ghandaghanda Member Posts: 2
    Bought ours in Jan. Now have 10K miles. Just got back form a 2000 mi trip through Nev. our best MGP was when we drove at 95mph ave for one tank, (I hit 104mph before my spouse had a fit, felt good too) AC was on too, 26. mpg. not bad,
    So far we like our van, just wish it was larger for the long trips.
  • Options
    vandadvandad Member Posts: 5
    Follow up test for 1994 Ch. Lumina with 3.8L v6

405 mi. Columbus to Chicago 87 oct > 24.29 mpg
    305 mi. RT Chgo to Milwaukee 93 oct > 22.8 mpg
    topped off with 87 oct for 405 back to Columbus
    (25%@93 octane + 75%@87 octane = ~89) > 23 mpg

It seems I actually get better highway milage
    with lower octane fuel. I wonder if my better city milage with premium fuel was a fluke (or a
    miscalculation.) ...It does seem to run smoother with higher octane fuel, though. My mother uses
    nothing less than 89 octane in her Buick Park Avenue. (same engine) Otherwise, she says, the
    engine knocks.
  • Options
    jjackson43jjackson43 Member Posts: 27
    mcsap, I have an '89 Chevy Van w/a new 350 "crate" motor, and get about the same as your numbers. I do have a hightop, which probably adds some weight. I have done all sorts of things trying to get improvement, and nothing changed. My old 350 w/100K miles got the same milage. My Travel Trailer is 30 ft. weighs 8,000 lbs, and on a recent 9,200 mile trip out west (from Florida) I ranged between 8 - 9.5 MPG. This was in June/July, so I hit the highest gas prices.

John
  • Options
    spangler1spangler1 Member Posts: 9
    I continue to see a wide variation on the fuel consumption dependent upon where the fuel is purchased, I use 87 octane fuel and get 27-28 MPG for southwest Virginia and North Carolina fuel; 25-26 MPG for Maryland fuel;and, 20-22 MPG for fuel purchased in Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania. All of the driving has been on interstate roads at similar speeds and vehicle loads.
  • Options
    jondotjondot Member Posts: 63
    "96 Dodge Gr Caravan--
    3.3 Engine
    City-17-18
    Hwy 23-23
  • Options
    doctorgodoctorgo Member Posts: 2
    I own two villagers, one a 96 with 32k miles, the other a 97 with 14K miles. Both were delivering 18 city, 23 highway as stated on the window sticker. This was using Speedway, Marathon, Starvin' Marvin and Citgo Fuel, all of which are laced with methanol, up to 10%. I changed to BP 100% gasoline and at first could not believe my calculation: 27+ mpg!! We used both vehicles for 400+ mile trips in July, August and September with the same results (I let someone else do the calcs to be sure). Same results last Sunday. Local (grocery store) trips yield 20 mpg. My experience with Ford products is that they deliver 20% lower gas mileage than the sticker states, GM products higher. The Villager uses a Nissan powertrain. Earlier models of the Villager/Quest have had major problems. I guess I'm somewhat fortunate in that respect. Mine have been the best all-around of the 47 vehicles I owned in 44 years, noting they are better than my past Corvairs, but not as good as my Cadillac or Town Car. Unfortunately, the Villager waves bye-bye after 2001 (or fortunately if you own a 93 or 94).
  • Options
    butchie2butchie2 Member Posts: 2
    Today was my first gas station stop with my new Mazda ES. I was stunned that the 12.63 gallons cost $24.25 and I only got 14.8 mpg mostly city driving with A/C on. Having read some of the above posts, I am hoping that the mpg will improve.
  • Options
    butchie2butchie2 Member Posts: 2
    ....I forgot to ask this in my above post.
    Can anyone explain how to use the "over-drive button"? The "TURN O/D OFF" light glares at you, so are we to drive with the button on at all times(and the glaring light does not appear)? Would this then help our mpg?

Anyone?
  • Options
    cyclerklmcyclerklm Member Posts: 26
    You should have overdrive ON almost all of the time. (which mean the light does not show up). This means the transmission uses all four gears and provides better mileage.

I turn overdrive OFF is when descending a steep hill, which provides engine braking instead of overheating your brakes. Overdrive OFF means your transmission only uses three gears.

The only other time I turn overdrive OFF is driving in hilly terrain at 30-40 MPH. This keeps the transmission from shifting back and forth frequently from 3rd to OD.

I have never gotten below 19 MPG with my MPV. My overall average is 21.5, and I've gotten over 24 on trips.
  • Options
    stevehenrystevehenry Member Posts: 2
    just got back from Utah--3000miles, 16.01mpg average. this was all 85-87 octane-no premium
  • Options
    ruggbruggb Member Posts: 5
    21.55 MPG after 13,000 miles on 87 octaine NC fuel.

Max 28.3 (maybe a lot of downhill freeway)
    freeway avg 25
    City avg 19
    worst 13 during the blizzard of 2000.

with this weight (4300#) and power (200HP), I'm impressed.

My '91 150HP short wb Caravan avg 21-22mpg
    when it wasn't in the shop for recall or transmission work.
  • Options
    ktxnktxn Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Sienna in Jan 2000 and it has 7500 miles so far, and mileage is not more than 16/18 mpg. I am thinking of taking this to the dealer. Any other suggestion that I can do to get this fixed.
  • Options
    alexmishalexmish Member Posts: 47
    Just got one 4 days ago, only have 300 miles on it. So far, not impressed with the mileage, preliminary figures show 13 MPG in city and 22 MPG on highway.
  • Options
    alexmishalexmish Member Posts: 47
    Here is an update for this car: 18.6 MPG in mixed driving (50% hwy / 50% local roads) with my wife and a kid in the car. Total passenger load is 360 lbs (sometimes people forget to mention load). Local roads (all NJ) were primarily hills in Summit, Berkeley Heights, River Vale, Watchung, Warren, Morristown - max 45mph, avg number of lights; highways are Garden State Pkwy, Rt 22, Rt 202 and I-78 (max 70mph). There was a 30-minute traffic jam, and lots of idling as I was programming the NAV system. Also, I usually give 2-3 minutes for the cold engine to warm up before I start driving. I don't think it is that bad since the car has only 400 miles on it.
  • Options
    dirtsurferdirtsurfer Member Posts: 1
    We bought this van early in early 96 as a "program vehicle from a dodge agency. We get 23~28mpg. HOWEVER, I will be threatened with removal of important body components before I ever do it again. The 92 voyager predesessor was a pain in the gazinta as well. It and this one survive on brake pads, rotors and rear window wiper motors. The spark plug wires were a given and 30000 mile
    plug changes are mandatory. Oil consumption is normal@ 1 qt in 3000 miles. Now for the piece de resistance, the resale is so bad I'm ashamed to drive it and seemingly drops like a very aerodynamic lead weight from high in the sky. Thx for the vent,dirtsurfer
  • Options
    vprawicavprawica Member Posts: 6
    What a disappointment. I noticed right away that my gas mileage is terrible. I drive only in the city (Chicago suburbs) but not much traffic. Just a lot of stop signs to and from work. My first tank averaged 12.8 mpg and the second tank 13.5 mpg. Car now has 400 miles. Does anyone know why the gas mileage is so bad?
  • Options
    rooba10rooba10 Member Posts: 38
    We bought the van new, at the beginning on highway it was getting 25-26MPG from Indiana to Florida driving 70-75MPH. Two years ago, one night, the check engine light came on and it smelled like rotten eggs for a few stop and go miles. then the light and the smell went away. After that incident, the van never did better than 22-23MPG on the highway. I did want to take it to the dealer to charge me $100-$150 to tell me either everything is normal, or it needs new Oxygen sensor or catalytic converter.
  • Options
    tombayertombayer Member Posts: 23
    200 Hp CPI 4.3L 262 CID V-6 3.42 axles
    best ever tank of gas- 18 MPG
    Average highway mileage 16 MPG
    Towing a trailer with transmission not in overdrive- 10 MPG

Really not too bad considering the thing weighs 4500 pounds and has all the aerodynamics of a barn door. With 27 gal tank no problem going 300 to 350 mile between fill ups, letting gas guage get down to 1/4 full.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Don't know if anyone has noticed, but I've corrected the typo in the title..."milage".

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    callo_callo_ Member Posts: 18
    Average according to computer a whopping 13mpg. I'm not sure the criteria the computer uses to come up with this number. I can say my wife warms the van for approx. 5 minutes due to the cold mornings and drives it like a race car (minivan complex). She wanted a Corvette, but thought that the kids tied to the trunk might be a problem.
  • Options
    callo_callo_ Member Posts: 18
    14 city / 22 highway
  • Options
    hhyslophhyslop Member Posts: 1
    I bought my EX on Jan. 31, 01. I have only registered 900 miles on it, but extremely please with gas mileage. I first checked it after a 267 mile trip and got 25 which included some in town driving. On the return trip which was all highway driving mostly at 60 mph but about 30% was at 75mph; I filled up at the same station and got 29.5mpg. WOW!!!!!!!
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Those Odyssey's are capable of great mileage but I owned one for one year and know for a fact that under optimal conditions this high geared vehicle is capable of 27-28 mpg at steady 60 mph. Usual interstate driving yields 25-26 and city sucks at less than 15 mpg (4300 pounds).
    Anyhow, my 01 Sienna cannot duplicate these numbers the gearing is not there. I would love to see the 5 speed auto in both Sienna and Odyssey. Greater performance and great mileage.
    My Sienna gets 25 pure Highway and 17 around town.
    INKY
  • Options
    married_manmarried_man Member Posts: 6
    Mileage has improved in the last few tanks. From around 19mpg when new to 22-23mpg now with 7K miles (highway).

City driving is a whole different story, last couple Sundays I used the trip computer, doing our usual Sunday chores, I get 18-19 mpg in the city, while my wife got 14-15 mpg. She drives it like when she was a teen and had a sporty car. But there's not much I can do to change her driving habits with out compromising my own life, so I just pay for the excess gas and bite my tongue :).
  • Options
    gb9gb9 Member Posts: 16
    My car has a bipolar disorder: 13.5 in the "city" - actually suburbs/ 26 on the highway. 13.5 is completely unacceptable, and I bring it up at every service. Toyota always has an excuse (e.g. it's the MTBE fuel used in the winter).

Great car, but I hate trashing the environment.
  • Options
    kjclowkjclow Member Posts: 29
    Around town, I average about 12 - 15. On the highway, I have gotten as high as 24. Usually less because we almost always have a luggage pod on top.
  • Options
    rsmmacrsmmac Member Posts: 22
    Consistent at 10-11 mpg over first 5500 miles. I don't know towing MPG yet.

Other factors - 3.73 Ratio, Raised fiberglass roof, heavy foot, 50/50 freeway/city.

Best tank - 12mpg, almost all highway, 70-75 mph
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Consistant 21.5 mpg. 60/40.
    Mark.
  • Options
    tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Stuck at 19-21 around town and freeway.
    Has a 3.3 with auto 4spd. Has never changed in 8 years! 87 octane or higher...no difference.
  • Options
    tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    22 city, 32 highway.
    Pretty consistent....80K miles on her.
  • Options
    mn_patmn_pat Member Posts: 67
    22k. Mixed city and hiway, lots of short trips

16.6 mpg
  • Options
    99windstar99windstar Member Posts: 30
    95 Windstar: 17 / 23
    traded on a
    99 Windstar: 17 / 23
    But the last year we had it: 15 / 20
    traded it on a
    02 Sedona: 17 - 18.5 city - no highway mileage yet.
  • Options
    hydrogeek01hydrogeek01 Member Posts: 4
    21 mpg commuting 90/10 Highway/City.

As high as 23 on the highway.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds pretty good for a truck, but this is the Vans board. Ask Sneakers to reopen "Truck Gas Mileage" (or try the "SUV fuel mileage - Feel free to participate"). Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    creidcreid Member Posts: 54
    14 in the city & 18 on the hwy, definetly would get better gas mileage w/ a full size van. Love the vehicle but the poor gas mileage does get very old.
  • Options
    turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    My 01 LX awd tribby gets 26 mpg hi-way. My 03 base 5 speed Vibe gets 37 mpg hi-way(10 less then window sticker!) This is Canadian gallon & both vehicles have 30 k so they are broken in.
  • Options
    mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    with 9000 miles on the MPV thus far, we get anywhere from 14 to 17 in the city.

Highway is better. we average 24 to 26 on highway driving.

MEC
  • Options
    amiincamiinc Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2003 Toyota sienna LE. Wondering what type of GAS is recommended for it. Owner's manual is not clear about that.
  • Options
    toocajun4utoocajun4u Member Posts: 26
    Toyota recomends premium fuel in order to make the full rated power on the 3.0L V6, but they also mention that using lower grades will not cause any problems. I have been running regular unleaded from day one, with no adverse affects on power or fuel efficiency (18 City/25 Hwy). YMMV - in this case, literally.
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Just checked our first tank of city only driving.

20.3 mpg. Granted the DW drives the MPV 90% of the time, and has a light foot. No A/C at all for this tank.

365 miles. 18 gal fill up. 2,700 miles.

Mark.
  • Options
    riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    Average 21 in mixed, best tank 23.5, worst 19 and change. I consider that respectable.
  • Options
    xfilesxfiles Member Posts: 132
    Getting 17 mpg (U.S.) or 20 mpg (Cdn) on the hiway with 5.7L engine, 3.73 axle, not towing (only 2 passengers on board with some camping gear only)and light on the acceleration, flat terrain. Have 8300 miles so far and using 87 Octane, and averaging 65-70 mph.

Hope to get an extra 2 mpg (Cdn)when I switch to synthetic oil.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Just finished a trip of 1,400 miles. Van has 25,000 miles on it now. 21.5 at speeds of 70-72, 18 at speeds of 80-85. Overall 20.5. The trip computer mileage is about plus or minus 0.2 mpg.
  • Options
    cwpagecwpage Member Posts: 1
    City/hwy...60/40....25.4 MPG )

142,500 miles

Work just completed: new 02 sensor, front alignment, all new fluids, plat plugs, new computer

I get better gas now than when I bought the van in 1993.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good for you, Cwpage. I love seeing original owners getting a long life out of their rigs. The great mpg is a nice bonus.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    1.72 AU (astronomical units) per kilo of dylithum crystals, shileds up, of course.
  • Options
    toocajun4utoocajun4u Member Posts: 26
    Since most road rage incidents are initiated from the side or rear of the intended victim, you could probably let your forward shields down - that would reduce your power drain and get you up to nearly 2AU/KG.

Of course it's a gamble - but have you seen the price of dilithium crystals lately???
  • Options
    xfilesxfiles Member Posts: 132
    Heck, ever try some Vulcan brandy....it's light years ahead as a propulsion fuel. A drop will get you to the next galaxy, 1 quart is sufficient to take you where no man has gone before (and back).