Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Volkswagen Passat

Comments

• tsangsungtsangsung Member Posts: 4
    Actually the 2.3 EX manual tran is offered for $18,474 including Destination at Carsdirect.com. I just ordered a 2.3 EX auto w/leather for $20,289. The only thing is you have to wait about a week or so. The taxes should not be figure into the total price of the car since you can't avoid death and taxes. They even help you get financeing from the manufacture's special rates. Don't know how this will all work out since it's totally an online purchase. I'll keep you posted on how the online buying experience is.
    Forgot one thing, if you choose the special financing, the cash back from Honda will be added back to the price. So I am actually paying $20,795 for the EX with auto and leather including destination but not taxes and documentation, which should be about $50-$100. My rep called me back and said that they have located a vehicle. I'll keep you posted.
  • farafallafarafalla Member Posts: 1
    the rear door gaskets on my 96 Camry melted. The black grease/tar-like substance gets on clothes and destroys them. I had the door gaskets replaced only to have the new ones melt within a month too.

Is there a solution -- Toyota, aftermarket or otherwise?
    I signed all the paperwork on the EX w/leather and auto for $20795. $150 doc fee. $110 dmv and local taxes for out the door of 22,782. If you pay in full or do not finance with the manufacturer, it would be $540 less. This is $800 below dealer invoice. $300 if you count the rebate. Check it out, nice people to deal with and this process took 3 days to do online. I will be picking up the car on July 5 at a dealership, which is only a pick up point.
  • howardnhowardn Member Posts: 13
    I also have ordered the EX thru CD...auto, without leather for 19,185. They recently dropped their price about $600 since last month. Tried to get 5 speed, but it seems impossible in NY metro area, even working direct with dealers. But CD automatic price is still about $600 under best dealers 5 speed price. Trying to get to the actual delivery, hoping this week. CD prices are good...service is uneven so far. I've had to do a lot of calling and e-mailing.
  • vachataboonvachataboon Member Posts: 6
    I've had my Passat for a few days now. Traded my 91 Jetta in. As far as reliability, my Jetta was just as good if not better than the Japanese cars. Wasn't perfect, but I've (and friends) had the same or more problems with Japanese cars. So reliability to me isn't that big of an issue. What is a big issue is how you take care of a car. I only ran Mobil 1, K&N air filters, Bosch platinum plugs and was very regimen with maintenance. Needless to say, my Jetta was also a great car. People couldn't even believe that it was a 91.

I plan on doing the same to my Passat, so I know it will last a lot more than I plan on keeping her.

As far as the Hondas and Toyotas, I can't say much about them. Their fit and finish were not the same quality as the Passat. The dash plastics seemed cheap and flimsy. Plus their handling and driving "fun" were not even close to the Passat. I may have paid more, but I'm enjoying it a whole lot more! If I couldn't have afforded the Passat, I would have probably gone with a Taurus. They are nicer and seem like a better build quality than the others.

So, when you're looking, get something that will appease you. Just don't buy what everyone else is buying. You've got to enjoy the thing.

I just happen to love the "fun" driving factor that VW's are known. Forget the cup holders!!
  • yllibyllib Member Posts: 8
    You think the Ford Tauras has better build quality than the Accord and Camry? Those Japanease cars you mentioned are known for their excellent build quality and reliability. Edmunds own review of the Accord states the gap tolerances on the car are half on what you will find on most American models. The Accord and Camry may not be flashy, but one thing they are is well built.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Just ignore him. He has to justify spending the extra money by slamming the Accord and Camry. I can see people having a difference in opinion between the Passat and Accord on which car has the best build quality along with fit and finish. But a Ford Taurus, get out of Dodge.
  • vailrwvailrw Member Posts: 1
    In response to :
    #440 of 445: Toyota melting rear door gaskets (farafalla) Sun 02 Jul '00 (06:00 AM)

I had the same problem on mt 93 Camry. No idea why. I used Goop tp remove it and since it has been fine - 2 years now

I must say I'm looking for an Accord though. I miss the sporty feel and great gas mileage!
    Just picked up my accord that I ordered from Carsdirect. I live in NYC, but the dealer was in Union, NJ. The guy I dealt with was Kenneth Gordon at Planet Honda. If you get the same dealer, make sure you request to deal with him. This guy was so helpful that you would not believe since he did not make much of a commission. It's about 20 minutes from the Holland on Route 22. The car had 9 miles and he took the time to show and explain to me everything about the Accord. You shouldn't be long because they found a car for me in two days.I love my new Accord, nice interior design and good pickup for a four. Too bad you couldn't qualify for the special financing rates which ended July 5. You should be taken care of very nicely from CD. Just beware that the CD price reflects any rebates from Honda. If they offer special financing when you get your car, they will add the rebate back into the price. Like I said the car cost $500 more because I chose the financing over the cash back. Good Luck.
  • vachataboonvachataboon Member Posts: 6
    I didn't say the Taurus was better built, but overall, I liked it better. Have you driven one lately, I have for several days on different occasions.

And I don't have to justify anything about my Passat, unless it's to myself. Fortunately, I am confident in myself to stick with my own decisions and not be bothered by others. And no I don't "keep up with the Joneses", they usually try to keep up with me. But I don't have an ego problem either.

My points were just to make sure that you see my opinions. So we'll just leave it at that.
  • sacmasacma Member Posts: 1
    I've purchased a new Honda Accord LX. The dealer is suggesting me to purchase what they call an interior&exterior protection, for $299.
    They say it is protecting the fabric (it does not get stained), and the paint (it does not faint).

Anybody has experience with this and/or recommends this for this price?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525

sacma:
    Get couple of cans of 'upholstery protector', for under $10, and that should take care of the fabric for a year. Paint does not need protection the way they dub it. Do they think the paint will fade? Save the $$$.

Vachataboon:
    I can understand your liking of Passat. Personally I too think it is a good car, just that I wouldn't buy it over Accord (as I did about three years ago). But when you come to speak of Taurus, it just amazes me, a person with taste in car like Passat, and prefers Taurus as well. Yes, I've driven one of the new models.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I know I own an Accord now, but.... before all of us go bashing the new Ford Taurus/Sable, you really should drive one. The 900 improvements show, believe me... the car is quieter, more responsive, better interior layout/quality.. The 3.0 Duratec it also quiet and smooth.. Did you know Ford Taurus sales to the private sector are up 37%! from last year? If we were able to get the Taurus in a 5spd my wife probably would have picked the Taurus..:-) But, we are happy with our Accord... :-)) Everyone have a nice 4th?
  • clubnevclubnev Member Posts: 3
    SACMA,

Forget the $299 for the paint. I have a dark red Honda that I've owned since 1991 and I'd say in the past year, the paint started fading. I have 169,000 miles on it and in the past 5 years, it has sat outside in the hot South FL sun. So now that it is a little faded, well, no surprise there - esp. since it is a reddish color (I forget the actual name of the color). Dealer just wants to make extra $$$$$.
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    Personally I wouldn't touch a Taurus because of poor resale 2-3 years down the road. Otherwise it may be a fine car. I'll stick to Honda and Toyota as long as their quality and resale remain relatively good. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • jandinojandino Member Posts: 1
    I have owned over 25 cars in my lifetime. From a 69 Cutlass SS to 90 Camry and everything in between all used cars. From experience I have learned that Toyotas hold up better than any other make, excluding Mercedes, BMW, Volvo I have not owned these. They are not very exciting but if it's long term reliability you are looking for you can't beat a Toyota. My favorite was an 84 Cressida.
  • hammerghammerg Member Posts: 13
    I just wanted to let everyone here know about a
    recent positive experience w/ my dealer, Kelly
    Honda in historic Salem, MA. I bought my Accord
    2.5 years ago. I maintain my car well, using the
    dealer for major services and myself for oil
    changes and other minor issues. I just turned
    37500 on the odometer and I brought it in for this
    relatively minor scheduled service. While there,
    I asked them to check the squeaky clutch pedal.
    This has been squeaking for over a year, but I
    never did much about it. Well, they came back and
    told me that the clutch master cylinder was
    leaking. Parts and labor 360 bucks. I was pretty
    shocked initially that this car should exhibit a
    problem of this magnitude. The 2 Accords I owned
    previous to this one never had this type of an
    issue at that low milage, both went 10 years and 120k
    miles. Well, I bitched because I just turned the
    odometer past the warranty limit a couple of weeks
    ago (I had put 1500 miles on it during a trip to
    D.C. 2 weeks prior) and they had been servicing it
    regularly prior to that.
    Well, I gotta hand it to them, they decided to
    cover this problem under warranty. So chock up one for the dealer. Kudos to them. They deserve a pat on the back.
  • eludwigeludwig Member Posts: 82
    Just picked up my Nighthawk Black Metallic '00 Accord EX (4-cyl 5-spd). Like all Honda outboard motors, lawnmowers, motorcycles, generators, and cars it is absolutely perfect. I got a decent deal: $1,500 down + $345/mo for 36 month lease. Also bought very cheap insurance from Electric Insurance. Tomorrow I'll go for a drive out on the Olympic Peninsula (WA)!
  • eludwigeludwig Member Posts: 82
    Above Accord was leased at Honda of Bellevue (WA). The worst buying experience I've ever had. They have no idea how to build a loyal customer base. First, I had to haggle with the salesman for over 4 hours to get the deal I wanted. I'd done my research at Edmunds, SmartMoney, and CarWizard, plus I have a financial calculator to figure lease payments. These baffoons mark up black 5-speed Accords $2,400 above sticker because that model and color is "very, very rare". They made "errors" twice while calculating the lease, with monthly payments rising each time. They ate it, because I said I'd walk. Today when I picked up the car, I was treated like a stranger, and the salesman challenged the great insurance deal I got, rather than admiring the bargain. Luckily I got the deal I wanted, and it's exactly the car I wanted to lease. Stay away from these guys if possible.
    I feel the Camry will be the one to fall from grace in the coming years. the Camry is way underpowerd and not a drivers car... With its standard 137HP 4cyl its a joke. Heck, even the Taurus comes with a 155HP V6 standard! The Accord will top the Camry in the next 2 years, is my prediction. I feel Toyota sells more Camry because Toyota has more dealers.. Its only a matter of time... Right now sales numbers are neck and neck. I lost the link showing sales figures... The Camry was ahead in sales by under 5K units...
  • cesiumcesium Member Posts: 5
    I am for sure wanting to purchase a 2000 Honda Accord EX, and I just wanted to know what's the lowest price I could get for it. I want it in Dark Emerald Pearlcoat w/ and Ivory interior and automatic transmission, and I just wanted to know how much I could get for that. I'm also open for suggestions on another car.
  • nakks1nakks1 Member Posts: 1
    I have honda accord. If like to buy any other brand after I trade in, what should be the area of study I should do .
    After couple of years on top of sales chart, Accord gave up to Taurus. Then Taurus led for a good few years before it gave up its rank to Camry. Its a cycle that would depend on more factors than one... dealerships, discounts, fleet sales, and so on.
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    Still, to be able to say the "#1 best selling Car" surely must do a lot thing to the marketing department.
  • thicks23thicks23 Member Posts: 42
    I'm not sure but the last time I checked Ford was selling almost 20% of it's Taurus' to fleets, Toyota was selling 10% of it's Camrys and Honda only 4% of it's Accords. That was a couple of years ago but if those figures still stand it brings the Accord to within about 7,700 units of the Camry and about 17,000 units ahead of the Taurus in private sales. I am not positive since Honda made it's Accord so much roomier and as a result could have increased it's fleet sales percentage.
    Fleet sales seem to hurt automakers in some ways... residual is affected, and profit margine goes down as well. It is not uncommon to find a well equipped '99 Camry sitting on used car lot with extremely low price tag. A friend of mine got a '99 Camry LE with 12.5K miles for $14K! Why buy a new Camry?
    If a dealer's used car lot has two Camrys, similarly equipped and similar mileage, and price difference is noticeable, it is quite possible that the lower priced Camry just came off a fleet. Not sure about it, but lot of people I know don't seem to prefer cars returning from a fleet. An individual often takes care of his/her car better than somebody renting one for couple of days, be it the way it is used, maintained, or even fed (grade of gasoline).
    Honda's financial report (1998 perhaps) mentioned that Honda wants to keep fleet sales to under 2%. The 1999 financial report also mentions that Accord continues to be the best selling car to 'individuals' in America.

liufei makes a good point from marketing stand point. Honda too could make its theme "best selling car to individuals in America for x number of years in a row". That could help them get some waitlisting on Accord LX too, like it helps Toyota sell Camrys.
  • hprathaphprathap Member Posts: 1
    I got my Accord in the Bay area. Bought a 99 Accord in 98. It has done only 18K miles. It was smooth and good and no noise. I used 87 Octane and now I use 92 Octane. I find the engine screams than many other similar cars is it normal??
    Not sure what you're talking about, but after a cold start, the engine is more noticeable, but as it warms up, it cannot be heard except when accelerating. My '98 Accord has 47K miles on it, smoother than ever.
    BTW, using 92 octane over 87 (or 88 in Bay Area I guess?) is simply a waste of money on either I-4 or V6 Accord. The engines are designed to use 86+ octane and do not require premium fuel. the only time I've used anything better than 87 is in Arizona/Utah/Colorado where it might be difficult to get 87.
  • carbuff21carbuff21 Member Posts: 1
    Who wants to drive the #1 selling car in its class. When I pull up to the light and see 2-3 other 1997-2000 Camry's next to me, I thank GOD that I did not purchase one. I have a 10 year old Honda Accord(115,000 miles) and it has been really good to me. The paint is fading, but I got an estimate to paint and it was $350. I have one major repair a year less than $1000, but it beats a $400 car note.
    I strongly agree with you. It almost makes me sick to see all of those Camrys on the road and I wouldn't have one either. Up until I recently bought a '00 TL I drove (and still own) a '91 Legend with 115,000 miles and it is still great transportation. Even with faded paint and a ragged out interior I'd rather have my old Legend than a Camry.
  • sbgat23sbgat23 Member Posts: 5
    I was really interested in your posting. I own a 1990 Acura Legend with 125,000 miles on it. I am keeping the car but also buying a new car. I am torn at the moment between 3 different cars. I like the Toyota Camry XLE V-6 and the Honda Accord EX V-6. But I also am partial to the Acura TL because the 1990 Legend is the best car I have ever owned. It runs great and has given me no real trouble in the 10 years I've owned it. I would love to know what your thoughts on this are as I am sure you went through the same mind games I'm going through. Although it is not as fancy, isn't the Honda Accord EX pretty damn similar to the Acura TL for about $6000 less?
    Thanks for your input.
    I'm glad to help in any way possible. I too am partial to Honda products and understand what your going through. The Camry XLE V-6 is a great car and really the main thing I have against it besides it's styling is the fact that to me it isn't worth the amount it costs over the Accord EX V-6. Don't get me wrong, it is a smooth, powerful and very refined car that will be extremely reliable. It's just that when you option it out, the price increases enough to make you wonder if you should buy an ES300, I30 or TL instead. The Accord EX V-6 is very similar to the TL and pretty much the only reasons I didn't buy the Accord is because it isn't available with the Nav system and there is something about the Acura name that I like. I know that sounds stupid but I geek out on electronics and after driving an Acura for years I'm used to the distinction between Honda and Acura as far as one being family oriented and one being a luxury car. If I didn't care about the Nav system or the name I would be driving an Accord right now. Based on my experience with the two cars I have to say they ride very similar with the TL feeling a little more solid over bumps and expansion joints. Their handling is also very close and in acceleration there isn't much difference at all (maybe 0.5 seconds to 60). The TL's interior IMHO is a little more upscale-looking although they both have leather on the seating surfaces only. Styling-wise they look alike in some aspects with both being conservative yet attractive. I agree that the Accord and TL are a little too alike for there to be about a $6000 (TMV) difference and it almost doesn't seem worth spending extra on the TL. IMO it probably isn't seeing that both ride on the same platform and the difference in the TMV is more than what the extra features are worth. The Accord has pretty much all that you need: automatic climate control, steering wheel radio controls, moonroof, leather, homelink, you name it. I don't want to seem like I'm telling you what car to buy so please strongly consider the posts of others as well considering this is just my opinion. I hope I helped in some way. I look forward to seeing which car you end up with.

Tom
  • sbgat23sbgat23 Member Posts: 5
    Ton,
    Thanks for the advise. Your opinions are similar to mine. I think the Camry XLE is a neat well appointed car but the price seems higher than it should be. The Accord EX V-6 is I think a little less well appointed but the cost differential is substantial. Maybe that's because I remember the line "good reliable transportation for under $2000". Of course that was selling the Ford Pinto and it was a great line if not a great car! As for Acura, I obviously am partial to it given my experience with my Legend but the close to $6000 differential over the Accord just doesn't seem justifiable unless the car is substantially better that the Accord. Admittedly it is a little plusher than the Accord and the name denotes quality/luxury as the Honda name cannot; also it may be a little quieter than the Accord.
    Since you drive a TL I have two questions. Are the seats more comfortable, better support, etc. in the TL and is there less road noise, wind noise? Both seat comfort and noise seem to be a recurring theme on these postings and I am use to good seats and low noise in my Legend -- except when the sunroof is open, then all bets are off.
    Thanks again. Please feel free to respond on the bulletin board or e-mail at sbgat23@yahoo.com.
    Thanks
    Steve
    I'm glad that I have been of some assistance to your buying experience.(:
    Indeed there is a small difference in the seats of the Accord and TL. First of all the TL has a softer bottom cushion in the front seats than the Accord so that I sink in a little more when I get in. This extra cushiness IMO makes the seats a little more comfortable - yet still pretty supportive- than the Accord's. Secondly, the TL hits my lower back a bit different in the lumbar area. The lumbar area in the TL must be a little higher than the Accord's because I have heard a few complaints about the TL's seats hitting some people in the back in an uncomfortable way. It probably hits them too high because it is not natural to have lumbar support in the middle of your back rather than the lower back where it is supposed to provide support. I'm 6'2" with a long torso and the TL's seats are very comfortable to me. In fact the only car in this class that seems to hit my back awkwardly is the '00 Passat. I drove my mom's around her neighborhood the last time I visited her and came back with my back hurting. The Passat's seats hit my back too hard and high up even with the lumbar support at it's lowest setting.
    As far as interior noise, the Accord is slightly louder at highway speeds than the TL. Wind noise is about the same but the difference is in the road noise and engine noise. The Accord isn't quite as isolated from the road as you would expect especially compared to a Camry. The TL is a couple of decibels quieter (about the same as the Camry) at highway speeds due to the tall 5th gear and a slightly stiffer chassis. Around town, though, the difference is less noticeable. To me, the difference is still too small to justify $6000 more for the TL.
    If you drive a long way each day on the highway (which I kind of doubt seeing as you only have 125,000 miles on your Legend) then IMO you would probably be more comfortable in a TL. If you drive around town more often than on the highway I think you would be just as satisfied with the Accord.
    I hope I have answered your questions and feel free to ask more if you need to.
  • kc_flynnkc_flynn Member Posts: 45
    Both the Camrys and Accords have great looking cars that run great. My biggest beef with Toyota is with body rot. They don't make a good body to the car. Toyotas rust easily. I have had two Toyotas and both of them got rusty, particularly my Camry around the the wheels. We've also had Honda Accords, treated them the same way, in the same weather conditions, and there wasn't a speck of rust on them.

Having owned both, the Accord is a better car. Great reliability, solidly built, bigger, and a peppier engine.
  • titopuentetitopuente Member Posts: 46
    The TL is a "luxurified Accord" its performance, comfort, amenities, features and luxury are modified the warranty and service are on a higher level. If you have the extra cash, definitely go for the TL. I forgot where I heard it from, but most of the TL is basically the Accord, the most noticeable differences being the looks, engine and drivetrain and a slightly stiffer structure.
  • jdog915jdog915 Member Posts: 9
    I own a 99 Accord Ex. The Accord has a little more power then the Camry. The only thing that stopped me from buying a Camry is because of it's accleration. Now, I regret it. My Accord has 14k miles on there right now, and it's already having problems. A few weeks ago, the ABS lights came on. I thought it was just some wiring problems, but I was very wrong!!! The ABS FAILED when I needed it!!! Also, sometimes, the transmission would seem to get stuck in that gear. I have the 4 cyl. engine and once you go over 3400 RPM, it gets L O U D ! ! ! I don't care if it's loud and it has power and it acclerats fast, but the Honda doesn't. It's loud but it doesn't acclearate!!! On my 4 cyl. the 0-60 is somewhere around 9 seconds with an almost empty fuel tank. I think that is very slow. If you want an Accord, you would be able to get an EX 4 cyl. for 20,500. Don't accept the offer for any deal over 21,000. I got mine for 23,100, which I regret. Honda has a high resale value. I really recomend a Nissan Maxima. It costs a little more but it's worth it. The Maxima has a V6 222Hp engine, which is VERY powerful! The Honda V6 has 200 HP, while mine has 150HP. If you're wanting to get a Camry, get the V6 because when I test drove the 4 cyl. it didn't have a lot of power compared to the Accord 4 cyl.
  • acmeroadrunnracmeroadrunnr Member Posts: 81
    My 2k EX I4 purchased last September has now passed 10k miles and I have NOT had 1 single problem with it. It's not a race car, but it does get out of its own way.
  • heckel2heckel2 Member Posts: 19
    I was wondering about buying a v6 but I was wondering do you have to put a higher octane gas in it or can you use the same gas 87 octane like you can in the 4. I was just wondering. I also have a 99 toyota camry with about 10,500 miles on it and love it very much. I just don't want the same car twice. Heard Hondas were very reliable and they are quite a bit cheaper in my area. Please get back with me if anyone has any ideas about the gas octane. Thanks
  • stevepakestevepake Member Posts: 21
    I'm a college student that's graduating soon so I'll be purchasing a car in the next 6mo. to a year. In the meantime, however, I drive hand-me-down Toyota Camry's from my parents.

The one that's "mine" is a 1990 Camry 4cyl 5-spd with over 200k miles on it. We've hardly had any problems with it and it's been a great car, and because of this I'd consider buying one myself. The car is reasonably peppy with the 5-sped and 4cyl, but now lets move on to my parent's newer Camry's.

They have a 1998 Camry LE (4, auto), and a 2000 Camry XLE (4, auto). Let me tell you, these are the SLOWEST cars I have EVER driven! ZERO off the line acceleration. ZERO low-end torque. At highway speeds the car is MISERABLE.

The 2.2L 4 has an extremely narrow power band. There's little to no power before 3500 rpm, and none whatsoever after 5000rpm. This is compounded by the fact that the transmission is geared for 100% economy and 0% performance. When you're on the highway running about 70 mph the engine turns about 2500rpm. If you need some passing power it'll kick down out of overdrive only after "encouragement" (firewalling), or the OD defeat switch. So then it hits about 3500 rpm which is the base of the power band, but not in it. No deal. If you completely floor it it'll downshift to 2nd gear (at 70+ mph), at which point it hits over 5000rpm...and there's STILL no power because now it's PAST the power band. There's no way to hit that sweet spot of peak torque at 4400 rpm at crusing speeds.

The Camry can't even get out of its own way, and has ZERO power for emergency situations where you need to move fast (like when you pulled out in front of that moron with the silver car in the rain that you didn't see because they're too boneheaded to turn their lights on!)

In defense of the slow Camry's, they're not really targeted towards younger people, so it's not really for me anyways.

I'm considering a Jetta (1.8T or VR6), a Passat (1.8T/5spd or V6), and Accord (4cyl/5spd or V6/auto), or a Camry (V6 auto or manual ONLY...no 4)

I'm used to Japanese reliability, so that rules out ALL AMERICAN CARS, and I'm not sure about the Volkswagons. I don't fit in a Maxima (6'3"), so my options are limited ;-)

$0.02

Steve
  • notacarbuffnotacarbuff Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I've been quoted $18,800 for a 2000
    Camry LE 4 (auto) with Value Pkg. 3 (ABS,
    daytime running lights, remote keyless
    entry, power driver's seat, and (of course!)
    floor mats). Is this reasonable, or is there
    room for me to negotiate? If so, how much?

Thanks!
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    The price for a camry LX at 18800 sounds good I have been quoted 19400 in upstate New York. I'd be interested in hearing if an XLE or an Avalon would be a better bet. We had a 97 Camry it was great and has gone to Columbus Ohio with our daughter. I own a 96 Camry and love it (64000). My wife needs the new one will consider Camry, Avalon and I will check out Honda Accord EX. What do you think? We
    are selling a 93 Corolla in near perfect condition and the dealer said try 6900 I think 5000 is more like it. Also what about leases?
  • clifftoys1clifftoys1 Member Posts: 2
    It sound like you are getting a good deal. Invoice
    on an LE with value package and mudguards is $19278. There is a $500 rebate (at least in VA)thru the end of the month to bring the dealers cost down to $18778, so you are doing good.Make sure the destination is included in this price, (you are on a new car right?). Also see if the discount in your area is more than $500. If everything checks out and you like the car you, will know have found a good deal.
  • frag235frag235 Member Posts: 81
    Yes, 87 octane works just fine in the V6....all the Accords I've owned over the last 10 years have been very reliable.
  • lngo4lngo4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 Honda Accord Ex (4 cyl & auto), and I have been using the 92 octane from Chevron. However, the premium gas is too expensive these days.

So, here're my questions:
    What's the difference b/w 87 vs. 92 octane? And why use 92 octain (more expensive) when the manual says, it's ok to use 87?
    What's the difference b/w Arco's vs. Chevron's gasoline or Shell's vs. 76's?

I appreciate if you are well knowledge on this area and be able to help me on on this info.

lngo4
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    I have the same engine in my Coupe and all that I have ever put in it is 87 octane Chevron and BP. All the Accords run fine on 87 octane. Don't waste your money on the more expensive stuff.
    I own a 2000 LX 5spd Accord and all I run is 87octane, it runs fine. You are wasting your money on gas. Save your money and buy some accessories! :-))...
  • baker16baker16 Member Posts: 45
    Here's what Honda has to say about octane level: http://www.honda2000.com/owners/service_parts/faqs_fuel.html
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    Stevepake: If you don't fit in the Maxima then you probably shouldn't be looking at the cars that you mentioned. The Maxima is MUCH larger then the Jetta and Camry and noticably larger then the Accord or Passat. It surprises me that you can fit in your Camry and not in a Maxima which has more legroom, more headroom, more hiproom, more shoulderroom and more overall interior space. And that is compared to the 2000 Camry. The 1990 Camry that you drive is even smaller then the current generation. In fact, the Maxima is closer in size to the Avalon then it is to the Camry.