Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High Performance Luxury Sedans

1141516171820»

Comments

• scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Thanks M. It seems that he really likes his S8. I know I would too, but I am just scared of the depreciation. I don't know how long they will be "hot."

Congratulations on your new car M!!!
    I took the plunge, and bought the Audi. I posted photos in my Car Space site I gave up a Range Rover Sport, which I really liked, so I hope that I have a positive experience with the Audi. ">
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Where is the extra money in the S8, excluding the B&O system, of course.

I've seen the ~ $78K S6 and the ~$120K S8. The S8 would be my first choice, or so I thought. The S6 has given me pause.

What are the features, performance and size differences.

The S8 is built on the SWB A8 chassis, yes?
    The S8 is built on the SWB A8 chassis. I drove both models. The difference between the two, as far as I could tell, is the size of the vehicle. The S8 is plusher with more features. The S8 has a few extra horses too. The S8 has larger rims. The S6 has recaro seats which were very comfortable. I preferred the styling and size of the S8. The S6 seems like a bargain compared to the Benz E63.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The S6 seems like a bargain compared to the Benz E63.

Well not really. The S6 can't match the performance of the E63 or M5 for that matter hence it should cost less, IMO.

M
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I really like the new Audi S8. Seems like a great vehicle. Merc, have you read the Motor Trend review for it ? I am impressed, but I guess I should be with it's price-tag, eh ? ;)

Rocky
  • npernper Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    I am new to this forum, but I just saw your post, so I wanted to reply. I have picked up my S8 3 weeks ago and cannot be happier. The car is absolutely unbelievable. You can drive it as a complete luxury car, or you can pop it into sport mode and drive it like a bat out of hell. The interior is absolutely the best in class, in my opinion. People have been stopping me everywhere and asking to see the car, engine, inside, etc...
    I drove the S6 as well before I took possession of the 8, and it is nice. But I prefer the space and sumptuouseness of the S8. Let me know if you have any questions.
    nper,

I am enjoying my S8 too. I have just over 1,000 miles, and have only put it in sport mode once. It did make a big difference. I am looking forward to taking a trip. So far, no problems. :)I posted some photos in my carspace.
    scottphillip,
    Glad to hear you like the car. I also have posted a few pics in my album. The only problem I had was a weird grinding noise when the car has not warmed up yet and I turn the wheel all the way when backing up. It does go away after a few minutes though. They could not find anything wrong at Audi, so I guess it is just one of those quirky things that happens. Otherwise, the car has been perfect. I am amazed I have not gotten a ticket yet, as I will find myself doing 80 without even realizing it.
    In S mode, I have smoked a 996 Carrera and a M3. I love the stealth of the S8, especially after I took the badges off.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased a luxury car for the first time and about why you decided to purchase a luxury car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.
    I have had that noise too when parking and turning the wheel sharply. I haven't called the dealer yet. Other than that, I haven't had any problems. :)
    Just spoke to a friend from Europe... he got the same color as you, but will not get it till April. The price in Europe? 175K Euro ($225 K). Ridiculous.
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    The other day a car I hadn't seen before challenged me to a little fun. I had to look the car up, it said S6 on the back and had cool 4x HID fog lights on each side in front. I went to the Audi Dealer next door to my office to see what's up. 2007 S6 with a V10, that explains why it was so fast. I had started out behind the S6 at a red light so I saw the S6 emblem on the back, as I passed him shifting 3-4 (and barking some rubber in the drivers face) the 4x HID fogs appeared in my rear view mirror.

Ouch, whipped by grampas car. I bet he wishes he'd waited for the RS6. That car needs a horn that says "MOO", what a cow.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    What were you driving?
    I put the S6 down with a stock 2005 CTS-V. Clearly a a CTS-V is a $35,000 car loaded up with a V8 shoe horned in it and is by no means at the same level as an S6 but I would expect a big Dollar V10 to have crushed me.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    I bet he didnt care...Why race your brand new 80K audi against a cadillac when there is a chance it could get crashed or caught...im sure he'll race it legally @ a track once hes gotten it broken in. Your not supposed to drive your car hard for the first 1000 miles or so n e way. Not the best 4 the engine, brakes, suspension, transmission, etc...
    I dunno why he picked a race with a Cadillac in his brand new $80 Audi, but I kicked his butt with a normally asperated V8 in a (choke) Cadillac.

What's the point in getting an $80 V10 hot rod if your not going to have fun with it?

(Trust me, he cared)
  • tdb99tdb99 Member Posts: 5
    Is this forum still open....there doesn't appear to be any recent posts?
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Audi S6, read lots of reviews. Beat out Mercedes C63 AMG? and BMW M5 in a MT review as it was $20K cheaper and handled better was the verdict ;)

Rocky
  • tdb99tdb99 Member Posts: 5
    I think he merc won out, in 2 of 3 comparos (MT and C&D, I believe...), however the s6 was praised in most reviews I have read, and in a northern climate (where I am), we love our AWD!.....I am looking at perhaps importing a new S6 from the US to Canada, the procedure seems gargantuan, but there may be some $$ savings. Any thoughts or feedback on this?
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    Driving home from work I saw a gorgeous black hardtop coupe that looked sort of like a Boxster with Z3 gills but far better looking. It looked like BMW badging and what I thought said "Alpine" in large lettering across the trunk lid. It was brand new, no plates yet.

The closest I can find is some BMW Alpina sedans which look nothing like this car. Any ideas?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    BMW Alpina Z8..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Are you positive your version of MT is the same as mine? :)
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I also posted the following in the Luxury Performance Sedans forum (sorry hosts if I'm not allowed to do this):

My daughter, who lives near Kalamazoo, MI, has always wanted to own a high-performance sedan. Several years ago, she had a chance to buy a used M-5, but
    bought a Bimmer convertible instead. Since the lease on her Bimmer is up June 1st, she is revisiting that muscle car itch again. She asked me to look around the
    Chicago area for one. I finally found a 2004 E55 AMG in the price range she wants at a dealership near my home. I went over and took it for a test drive. Needless
    to say, it ran like a rocketship. The car is in pristine condition with only 39,000 miles. I'd like to know if any E55 AMG owners could suggest looking for any
    particular problems with this vehicle. I know nothing about Mercedes-Benz cars except they're supposed to be well built, extremely reliable, and trouble free.

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    jpstax1..

Try posting in the Mercedes E-Class forum here: Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Also, you might ask fintail for some advice.. I'm pretty sure he has an E55.. You can usually find him here: I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    "I know nothing about Mercedes-Benz cars except they're supposed to be well built, extremely reliable, and trouble free.
    "

Well built, yeah. I think you'll find disagreement about the other two facts. :)
  • elemiselemis Member Posts: 1
    Afraid that I have to agree with dhanley. Looked hard when made recent purchase (ended-up with '08 M5), and seriously considered CLS 63 AMG and E 63 AMG. But could not get past poor MB repair history (look at Consumer Reports, for instance) as well as friends who have owned MB's and would not own again. Maybe there is a reason, besides marketing and of course building the cost into purchase price, that BMW is one of the few that still offers complete no-cost 4yr maintenance & warranty on new purchases....
  • mlesseuermlesseuer Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at purchasing a used E55 2002 with 27k miles. I'm trying to determine if I'm getting into a maint. nightmare. Does anyone have any experience with 2002 E55's good or bad?

Thanks!
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I found this link about the subject car:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/muscle_cars/2009_- - - - pontiac_g8_gxp_auto_shows.html

Hosts: Since I searched but couldn't find any forum for this car, I thought my post best belonged in this forum, or should I have created a new one and named it "High Performance Sedans"?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This is fine, might not exactly fit the title, but let's see where we can go with it anyway.

Thanks for the post!!
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    And you can get an m3 with four doors. :)

Not sure if the g8 gxp will be a luxury car...

Also, the new CTS-V now holds the record for fastest nurburg ring lap by a sedan with street tires. It beat the m5 by 13 seconds! Looks like they must have gotten the handling sorted out...
  • jameshymeljameshymel Member Posts: 5
    We have a well kept 1998 XJR which we have been driving only once or twice a month. Today I drove it about 15 miles to work - it ran flawlessly. At lunch I took it out for a few miles (the temp in Dallas is approx 90 degrees) then parked it at the gym. After an hour I started the car and it immediately died. I tried again and managed to get it to idle, but roughly. It died. I could depress the accelerator but it seemed to have no effect. It would only start, run rough, then die. After an hour, it would only turn over and never attempt to start (the engine would never start running on it's own - even roughly). We had the car towed home and my gear head neighbor came over. He had me engage the key (turn it on, but no to start the car). He could not hear the fuel pump whine. We checked all fuses (those in the trunk) and even located and checked the fuel cut off switch in the passenger floorboard. How can I determine if an engine sensor might be disabling the fuel pump relays versus the fuel pump simply being dead?

Thanks. James
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Well, James, actually driving the car might've prevented this problem. A 10 year old car that's only been driven 20 or so times?? I can only imagine how much stuff is fouled/corroded in the engine and/or fuel delivery system. :sick: Once you get it fixed, you need to start putting some miles on that thing!

You can use a volt meter to check voltage at the fuel pump relay. My guess, though, is that you have a tank full of bad gas considering you've probably only filled it up maybe 3 times in 10 years, if that. :sick: Mix some octane booster, injector cleaner (might not hurt to throw a little xylene in there, too), and some fresh gas in with that old stuff, and change the fuel filter and spark plugs. Then when/if you get it started drive it until the tank's almost empty. On your way to the gas station, stop by an AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc. and pick up a can of Sea Foam. Head to the gas station, preferably someplace with Techron or other strong detergent mixed in the fuel (Shell, Texaco), poor in the Sea Foam, fill tank, and drive the car more often.
    Thanks very much for your reply. I think I was not clear. The car was driven daily by my wife, but recently (for the past 4 months) it has only been driven twice a month (purely to keep things in check). The tank was down to nearly empty and so I stopped on the way to work and filled the tank. I then drove it about 20 miles and it ran fine. At lunchtime, when I started it, it idled rough then died. It would then never start. I had it towed home where we checked the fuel pump fuses (but not the relays) and the fuel cutoff - all seemed OK. My neighbor (a mechanic) said that when I engaged the ignition, he could not hear the fuel pump whine (to pressurize the lines) so he thinks the pump is dead. We have not checked the voltage at the pump to see if the relay happens to be dead. Note - I did change the battery just the night before as it had died. What say you?
    Actually my Jag mechanic suggested I had water in the tank. Why I dont know. We keep it in the garage, and while we have not driven it in a few weeks - I can not think how it could be water. (Was it the full tank of gas I picked up that morning at a Shell station?) May I ask you - are the fuel pump relays next to the fuses in the trunk? I was also told (by another mechanic) that I can get to the fuel pump electrical leads by removing the trunk panels and I can check for voltage/no voltage there.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Yes, I believe on all Ford and Ford owned companies, the fuel relay/shutoff/reset is located behind a panel (or the liner) on the lefthand side of the trunk. You'll know it when you see it. If I recall, it is black with yellow writing and/or a yellow switch on the top of it.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large finance magazine is looking to speak to consumers who just purchased a new Audi A8. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than June 23, 2008.
  • pavlpavl Member Posts: 1
    Considering a used S6 (2006-2008) off lease. How is the maintenance track record? Does the Lambo V10 burn oil or have other challenges?
  • buckeyeinazbuckeyeinaz Member Posts: 1
    Looking for details before driving 100 miles to see this M5. VIN: WBSDE93423CF92862. Thank you for anyone that may be able to assist.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    If you visit the VIN Check discussion, someone may be able to tell you whether you should get the full report. Since the reports are a fee-for-service operation, no one will give out the full report for free.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    I am looking at purchasing a low miles early 2000s BMW M5. Prices vary widely on these models. KBB puts a 2002with 67,000 miles at 16,650 for private sale. The seller wants 19,500 because "it is in excellent condition and hardly driven in last 3 years". I have seen dealers put up 2003 M5s with under 20,000 miles for over 40K! KBB is 19K.

What is the fair price I should be looking for? I need advice as this is the first time that I am purchasing a european sports sedan.

Thanks.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Well, the first thing you should be concerned with is the car's maintenance and repair history. Second, you should have a PPI (pre purchase inspection) done by a qualified independent mechanic or BMW dealer. The price of the car is almost irrelevant. You DO NOT want to buy a "cheap M5" because it will BLEED YOUR BANK ACCOUNT dry if it wasn't properly cared for.

Also, since you are looking for a "low miles" car, you will most likely be dealing with owners who know they have something special.

M5s have aging problems just as other E39 5 series of that vintage (1996 - 2003) such as pixels that have disappeared from the climate control or dash cluster as well as M5 specific issues like a clutch that needs to be replaced around the 60K mark (YMMV).

I'm not trying to scare you. E39 M5s are fantastic cars. They are durable and will last a long time as long as they are properly cared for. Get an inspection and let us know how it works out.

You might also might try searching and joining bimmerfest. Good luck & keep us posted!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ml2005ml2005 Member Posts: 10
    Hope this is the correct thread...looking for 2015 money factor and residual for 2015 BMW M5
    36mo/10k, 36/12k and 36/15k. Also, do they have 39mo?

I usually drive 15k/yr and heard it's best to lease for 10k and pay for miles later...any thoughts?

Thx