Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    Steering wheel shaking at certain speeds, tire balance, but Solaras seem to have various front end issues. Shimmy, do you have a convertable?

The dealer...yeah got to the dealer. The should fix it FREE! I found that with my dealer, there balancing machine was not the best, and I wanted my weight on the inside of the wheel, so as not to put ugly weights on the iutside. The dealer put the weights on the outside. I asked them about it, and they took them off. Thats it, just took them off. No weights on any tires. I ended up at Sears of all places, got my wheels balanced, the way I wanted, and they actually did a great job. I did get the grill about thats not the preferred way to do it, but it seems they put 'em the right spots. I would not go there for anything else, but a balancing.
  • mimi919mimi919 Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for your reply....I didn't buy the convertible but on nice days I kind of wished I had.
    I made an appointment for next friday to have the dealer look at my car and hopefully he will be able to correct the shimmy problem as well as the problem I am having with my climate control as I can lower the temp. setting but to raise the temp. setting I have to turn the dial about 20 times for it to work but hopefully they will correct this so I can just go on enjoying my new Solara.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    My Solara is my first car with automatic climate control. I've noticed that if the outside temperature is cool (say 65) and I set the thermostat to 72, the auto control turns on the air conditioner (and maybe the heat at the same time). Is auto climate control supposed to work this way? Not clear to me why the air conditioning is needed if the outside air is cooler than the thermostat setting. The only thing I can think of is that the air conditioning AND heat are coming on at the same time to lower the humidity in the car. Any opinions?
    Removes moisture in the air, as well as lubricates parts in a/c compressor, etc. That is 1 reason I chose the SE over the SLE. I like the analog way!
  • ludergirlludergirl Member Posts: 4
    If you want to protect the paint on your hood and don't want to get a car bra, look into getting a 3m ClearShield put on. It's sealed on so nothing will get stuck underneath, and you can hardly see it unless you really look, and you won't have all those ugly specks on the front of your hood. I had one put on my car and it was around $150- about the same as a leather car bra. Plus, most places will give you a warranty on it. It's really nice!
  • 000007000007 Member Posts: 1
    Does the Solara convertable have seatbelts for 5 people? The Edmunds description doesn't say so, but I think the consumer reports version does say so. I'm looking for a convertable that will hold a family of 5.
    Thanks in advance for the info.
    Are you saying that my auto climate control is working as designed and there's nothing wrong with my climate control?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Correct. Your climate control will normally have the AC compressor running.
    The convertible only comes with two seatbelts for the back seat. I sold one about 2 year ago where the guy had to have a third one for infrequent trips with all three of his very small daughters. I sent the car to a conversion van shop and they installed a lap belt in the middle of the back. It is pretty crowded, but it works for occasional use for small kids.
  • debrakdebrak Member Posts: 17
    The last time we had our oil changed at the dealer at 12k mi they asked if we wanted to have "pro-lube" added. This is the first time they have asked us and think it is our 4th oil change there.

We have never heard of it being necessary or even beneficial, so we declined. We will take it back in at 15K and wonder if we should say yes? Anybody else use it? Anyone think it is necessary? thx, debbie
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Well we have 4 months left on are 00 Solara V6 and it looks like we are going to buy it out and drive it untill the next makeover comes out.I must say that the Solara is the one of the nicest cars i have ever drivin' and honestly drives nicer than my mothers Mercedes S320 and there 300E.I feel that the Solara is nicest car out there for 25 grand.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Sounds fishy. I wouldn't go for it. The Toyota oil should be ample protection for your engine.
    That's what we thought too... I will say no to this until someone can come up with a reason why I should have it added, or I read something about it that convinces me. Can't even find this product doing a search for it so I have no idea what it even is.
    After you mentioned that DuraLube product, I had to go to a Canadian Tire (equivalent to the US Jiffy Lube), and they had the bottle of that stuff on the shelf, selling for $18.99 CDN (roughly $10-12 US), quoting it was a fuel system treatment, cleaning everything such as fuel injectors, lifters, etc.. Get the info on it, and do it yourself if you think it's worth it. You just pour it into an empty gas tank and it does the rest.
  • luphyluphy Member Posts: 31
    I just had my tires rotated and had asked the store to rotate it according to the picture shown in the manual: front to same back, and back to opposite front - so LF to LR, LR to RF, RF to RR, and RR to LF. I did not hang around to make sure they did it correctly, and I just noticed that the tread on the tires are facing opposite directions. Both left tires face one direction, and both right tires face the opposite. First of all, it sure doesn't sound like he rotated it the way I wanted him to! But my question is, does this tire, the Michelin that came originally with the Solara, require that all four tires face the same direction. Thanks. If only I could figure out exactly how he had rotated it so that i could correct it *sigh*.
    If you are refering to the 16 inch Michelins Enery's, they are not uni-directional, which means that they can go on any which way, but loose! I learned from experience, with numerous tire rotations and flipping the tires inside out etc, and got it in writing from Michelin that they are not uni-directional, after reading about other tires that are, and the dangers they pose when installed wrong, like a Goodyear Aqua-Tred.
    Canc,
    Would that be the same product as "Pro-Lube" which my dealer recommended? Maybe it is the "Toyota" version of Dura Lube or something.
    I will try to check into that.. thx, Debbie
    Sorry, I wouldn't know about it, since I haven't seen "Pro-Lube" around. Ask what it does specifically, and if they say it's a "fuel system treatment", I'd go get a bottle of the same stuff at your local auto parts store. Just my opinion here!
    I posted a while ago that my Solara, after putting some ethanol in, started to "chug" slightly, most noticeable at certain speeds. Anyway, it was still doing it after my second tank of premium grade gas, so I went to my dealership with it. The technician and I went for a thorough, 40-minute or so test drive which I _really_ appreciated. It did do it a bit, but not as much as when I drive the car, but he said that, after the road test, it would probably be a minor clogging up of the fuel injectors.

Happy with this answer, I went to the local auto parts store and bought the Valvoline Synpower fuel injector cleaner. I'll put it in my next tank. Hopefully this'll work instead of paying $100 for the injectors to be cleaned by the dealership, considering it's probably a minor buildup.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

Is there any info on whether Toyota will introduce a NEW Solara for MY 2003 or will the current model soldier on for another year? I know that the MY cycles are 5 years and the Solara is just completing it's 4th year so another year of the current style would be understandable. Yet again, the Solara is built on the 'old' Camry platform and it might be more cost effective to move it to the 'new' Camry platform.

BTW, I've followed this paint issue and must say that my 2K SLE (Silverstream) paint is still very glossy and near perfect (Zanio since new) except for a few (maybe 5) very small chips in the leading edge of the hood. I was told that the Solara's paint is 'water based' (no it will not wash off) due to the environmental constraints that Canada has(where the Solara is built). Maybe that is why it is more vunerable to chipping.

M. M. McCloskey - 2K SLE
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Just wondering, how many miles on your car?

I had that before on my old Camry....went out on a limb and replaced the fuel filter (clogged beyond belief) and it solved it.
    I only have 24850 miles on my car, and my dealership doesn't want to change it, stating that Toyota fuel filters don't need to be replaced, or hardly ever. They don't even carry the fuel filters in stock. Was your Camry chugging constantly? Mine only does so intermittently, and at certain speeds. I've also noticed that it does it more frequently when I've been driving the car for some time. It will never do it when the engine is still cold. Weird.

Now why would a Toyota never need a fuel filter replacement? I was under the impression that this was just part of regular maintenance every 50,000 or so miles.
    If Solara paint is water based that would explain the chipping. I know that Volvo used water based paint on their vehicles sometime in the 80s due to environmental concerns. The paint on these cars did not hold up well (my brother had one and it eventually had to be repainted).
    Hey, are you saying that your car "chuggs" from a standstill, while accelerating, or are you having a loss of power, while keeping your foot on the gas pedal? I have noticed an intermittant loss of power, very rarely, on the highway, like at 70-80mph, cruising along, them it almost like it changes gears, or something like that, seems to lose compression, and then is fine again. It's almost like a Solara hiccup!?! This has happened a few times, but few enough where I dismiss it as somehting that will never be reproduced, nor in the computer in the car.
    The Solara paint is also not of the quality of other Toyota vehicles, according to the guy at Torrance CA, USA, HQ. I don't believe it has to do much with environmental concerns, or every car out there would have this problem. I am not one to make any excuses for the quality of this vehicle, as I believe it is a true testament to the North American/Canadian work ethic, and the auto industries planned obsolesence for all vehicles! ;^)IMO, the Solara was designed for the empty-nestors, or the self indulgent 30 to 50 year oldish , baby boomers, and is designed to fall apart just as quickly as any other car! Difference with this car is the people who buy this car, IMO, are not looking for a practical vehicle, but a NICE car, and after it stops being nice, will be replaced with another NICE new car, maybe the next Solara model!?!
    Toyota claims a lifetime fuel filter.

It's filter...it's supposed to clog eventually. When it's clogged you don't want to see the crap that comes out.

Back when I had my Camry, the dealership did stock them, which costs $30 for the filter.

So I went to Pep Boys and picked one up (Purolator) for $20. For the first time you change, it let a shop do it (nuts are one super tight).

My before was severely hesitating....did all the tune-ups (including distributor cap, rotor, & wires) with not much success. So I got the fuel filter replace (after several failed attempts), and my usual mechanic didn't even think about the fuel filter....I just took a wild guess -- seeing the electrical system was fine....time to attack the fuel system.
    It does it when I'm either accelerating from 0-10 MPH, or cruising around 50 MPH. Dirty fuel injectors are probably the cause.

thanks for the info 8u6hfd!
    Hope you are correct. I did the fuel injector cleaning and throttle body cleaning at around 30,000 miles, and got a speech that it's more than just pouring some cleaner in your gas tank. I did it when my car was idling rough, but that did not seem to do anything for the rough idle, and was IMO a waste of money, at the time. Maybe down the road it will pay off! LOL!!! I later dismissed it as bad winter premium fuel, or just the way Toyota's soon to be enhanced, less sludgable, V-6 operates. Intermittantly bad!
    I'm grateful to say that my Solara purrs like a kitten at idle.
    Real easy to do, get some carburator cleaner or throttle body cleaner

With the engine off, disconnect the hose from the throttle body (helps to undo the air filter also).

Lay plenty of towels on the bottom of the throttle body, wedged into the butterfly. Spray the sides of the throttle body (do not spray directly in) while wiggling the butterfly (easier if you rotate the spring), replace towels as needed until it's clean.

Slap every thing back together ASAP

Start the car (it will be hard to start, because we flooded the engine a bit) and don't be suprised to see some smoke from the tail pipe (it's normal).

THe first time you do it, it may take up to an entire can. It was something I used to do with every oil change.
    Among major automakers, Toyota averaged 107 problems per 100 vehicles, down from 115 last year. Honda Motor Co. (news - web sites) Ltd. followed in second place again with 113, down from 133.

Just wonder, where do these statistics come from??? Who goes out and counts car problems? Is this information based on cars returned to the dealer for broken parts, or service?
    The JD Powers numbers come from surveys. They send out a random sampling survey to selected owners from DMV registration data. They ask a number of questions about the first year of ownership. They ask fairly detailed questions and come up with the published numbers.
    Nuff said.
    I posted this correction in the wrong forum so I'll repeat it here. The IQS numbers are based on the first 90 days of ownership, not the first year. Sorry for the error.
  • pistol24pistol24 Member Posts: 2
    Cliffy, anyone. I have a 2000 SLE and want to know how to turn off the daylight running lights (DRL). Thanks!
    Sorry, but I can't help with that. I think others have posted the procedure here or on one of the other Toyota boards.
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    In my 2002 SE, there is a DRL off setting on the control stalk below the printing DRL . Is the 2000 different?
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    Has anyone replaced their headlight bulbs yet?

I want to put in some Xenon like Acuras and Audis have.

Will this be ok for the daytime running lights?
    In the engine compartment, there's a fuse for the DRL's...that gets yanked out.

Headlight bulbs: if you want to do a HID conversion, kiss your high beams goodbye. But TRD Japan does have a H4 HID kit that will keep the high beams also.
  • halonethalonet Member Posts: 3
    Sometimes when I push on the brake pedal, it goes almost to the floor before I get any "grab". I got in an accident a few weeks ago because of this. I had the brakes checked out by brake shop and dealer. They said it is normal when the brakes get hot--what, I shouldn't be able to stop the car?? But I've also caught it doing it when the car is completely cold. It doesn't happen often but happens enough. One accident because of it is one accident too many. Any ideas?
  • halonethalonet Member Posts: 3
    Post 1893--I have a 2K Solara SLE V6.

The back bumper is yellowing. I've seen postings quite a while ago about this. What are people doing? getting a repaint paid for by Toyota?
    The brake fade you are refering to, also is in my car, like every other issue. I posted back a few pages ago, that it was so noticable, that a few weeks after replacing the front brakes, and brake service, I brought the car is for something else. I don't rememeber what, as the car is at the dealer frequently, but the mechanic noticed that my brakes were soft, and should probably be checked, and replaced. He said this without even looking at the pads, or maintenance history, so I let him know that the were just replaced, and adjusted. I then got the speech about disc/disc are maintenance free, etc, they were fine, yata, yata! This is the first car I have owned, where the brake pedal goes almost to the floor, even after service, and is considered normal. Maybe a Toyota thing. I too had a collision, but did not blame the brakes, as it was an icy rain storm (unseasonal for the month) and was just a skid on an oily Chicago street, under a well built, jacked up, fast stopping, 4Runner, with better ABS than my Solara. Slow enough for no airbag deployment, or the airbags don't work. After that I no longer focus on my car as any sort of valuable possession to take pride in owning, but as basic transportation, that I paid too much money for, IMO. I am also not satisfied with the Toyota Certifed body shop that did the repairs, even their estimator at a different location, that did not now his shop did the repairs, seemed upset, even disgusted, by the repair work, as he seemed to take some pride in his job, and was a body shop tech in the past. But I will keep that for the bodyshop/paint forums, if and when those problems get resolved. I am up to trip 5! I did get a Cadillac to drive the last time! With all the GM cars I have been driving lately, I can't quite fiqure out why Toyota, and Honda have such a good quality rep, and GM doesn't. Even my own GM experiance was a very good one, rarly at the dealer except for an A/C evaporator core at 55,000 miles, covered by extended warrenty, no fighting required. Also, never bought any touch up paint, let alone 2 bottles, like my Solara!
    The only two things I can thing of are:

1. Low brake fluid level (top off as necessary). This you can check yourself

2. There's air in the brake lines (bleed the brakes).
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    ... to spite his own face. Yes, he freely admitted he bought his Solara because he felt he got bad treatment from an Acura dealer, and stormed off to a rival to buy something other than what he wanted. And, to add to his misery, he bought what can be perceived to be a lemon. So rather than bite the bullet and try the lemon laws in his state, so he can then try another Acura dealership, he instead decides to bad-mouth Toyota/Honda in this forum.
    WebG - for every complaint you have about your car [note that, WebG - just YOUR car] - I can finding a matching superlative about MY car. And I will freely admit that ANY carmaker can make a lemon. Can you please stop generalizing?
    And if ya wanna spend $30-$46K for a GM, go ahead. It's your money. But don't compare apples to oranges. I'd say go ride a Lexus GS 300/430 and then compare, but then you'd probably blindly rip Toyota for that also...
    And for goodness sake, the paint problem happens to a lot of other makes, not just ours!!! If you don't like to save the environment, just say so.
    My apologies to the rest of the forum for this tirade.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I guess it's human nature that people who have real or imagined problems with their cars are the most vocal. As silversolara stated above, there are many happy Solara owners. My wife has a 1999 Solara SLE coupe which went on the road Sept 1/99. The car has been flawless in the almost 3 yrs we have owned it and still looks brand new (including the paint!!). The paint is no better or worse than most new cars today. We plan to buy-out the lease at its expiry and keep the car. One of the best cars we have owned over period of 30 odd years.
  • jraysjrays Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for your positive comments. I concur.
    My, did you forget your medication, or what? If you like you Solara so much, why does your bio show you shopping for a Subara Impreza? Chill out, or is this a forum to only voice the good things about a car, or car salesmem lurking between customers. Some potential buyers may be interested in real world feedback, having owned and driven a Solara for 2 years, before making a decision to spend so much money.

"WebG - for every complaint you have about your car [note that, WebG - just YOUR car] - I can finding a matching superlative about MY car."(silversolara)

Good for you! Congrats! What sort of feedback would you like to give about your car, since it is "superlative"!!! Have not read anything of substance about your vehicle, good or bad. What are you, a car salesman! You seem a bit emotional, IMO, about reading what you don't want to see. Relax, give some feedback, and please stop flaming!

Jrays: Have not seen you post anything brilliant about your car! Your last 5 posts, seem more like flames than anything, too!
    Silversolara's wife has the Solara. Lucky wife!