Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi S4 and S4 Cabriolet

Comments

• matthkmatthk Posts: 3
    I'm a current BMW 3 series owner(not the lastest E46 model)looking at Audi this time... along with the new 3 series coupe. So far the S4 and A4 seem to be good value for the money and Audi excels in some areas relative to BMW.(more on that later)

Curious if anyone had an opinion the Audi premium Bose stereo vs the BMW's Harmon Kardon. I have the Harmon Kardon and am not that impressed with it. Are both systems pretty mediocre and aftermarket the only solution?

I'll probably be talking with a dealer to see what can be done about an S4 order in the next two weeks. Of the dealers in my area, one said they would sell S4's for MSRP and another, that I won't be visiting!, had the gall to ask over MSRP.
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Regarding post #21:

matthk, in my opinion both the HK and Bose systems are adequate at best. They are better than say your average GM Delco crap (and in fairness GM's radio systems are much improved but still to boomy sounding) but they aren't stellar. You can do better in the aftermarket for a moderate price. There are some great high-end stock systems out there (Lexus and Volvo in particular) but none of them have Bose or HK components in them and in most cases you can do better in the aftermarket arena.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@ibm.net
  • jwolffjwolff Posts: 19
    I have the Bose in my A4 but not by choice. I would opt for the stock system and put in MB quart speakers and almost any 4 channel amp. As for the S4 you should be able to pick em up for invoice. I still would wait as prices are bound to come down. See my previous post. For more Audi info visit www.a4.org
  • seanvseanv Posts: 1
    I'm currently living in Germany and am dying to get an S4 for the autobahn, only one dealer over here that sells American spec's though so I can't exactly haggle. Any official word on if the S4 will be limited in production or due I have some time to save up.
  • Has anyone driven both and compared them? I'm thinking of getting one or the other but I don't know if I should wait for the new M3. I'd like four doors if possible.
  • Accourding to R&T, Audi will be making between 4000 and 5000 S4's a year for the US, which according to them, should be plenty. Prices will go down once dealers have one or two on the lot that they haven't sold yet.

I was suprised to see 0-60 times of 5.5 seconds and a 14.1 quarter-mile. Those numbers are identical to a Mustang Cobra. That's pretty amazing for a fairly heavy AWD car.

As far as the new M3, I would bet with options it will be 50 grand or more. An S4 comes standard with just about everything you could want. Even with options it's about 40 grand. Sure, the M3 will be fast, but overpriced like all BMWs.
  • roys2roys2 Posts: 5
    I agree that the 0-60 time (Audi claims 5.6 sec; a C&D article said 5.6 sec) or the rated horsepower is suspect. If a 3.0L 24V twin turbo in a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 could deliver 320hp, maybe the Audi 2.7L 30V twin turbo is understated at 250hp?
  • matthkmatthk Posts: 3
    I also read the Car and Driver article and the 5.6 sec 0-60. They talked about dumping the clutch at high(5000?) rpm and I imagine that gets you started quickly with the tall first gear. Audi claims a more achievable 5.9 sec. I can't figure out why the car is so heavy(200+ lbs heavier than the A4 quattro).

I'm also following BMW developments and am a current 3 series owner and test drove the current M3. I was not that impressed with it...maybe it's too "raw" for me and not all that fast. However, rumors as you know are for a high output(321 hp?) version next year..in 3 series coupe form.
  • soxylusoxylu Posts: 6
    One other thing to consider in this debate. I was at the BMW dealership last week and was told that the new M3 will be 320 HP, but will ONLY be a 2-door model for the first 2-3 years.
    Therefore, it depends on your preference, a 2-door M3 or a 4-door S4.
    Also, where I live, a turbo has a high "burn out" rate due to the heat in Florida. Any comments on that?
    Also, for me, the problem is finding a dealer close by. Where I live, there is a BMW dealer close by, but the Audi dealer is over 50 miles away, a bummer when covered repairs come up.
  • bstaufbstauf Posts: 1
    You guys are going to laugh but I test-drove an S4
    here in Denver and I'm scared to buy one. I was
    on Highway 6 going through Golden (straight and
    relatively flat) and drove up severe switchbacks
    on Lookout Mountain. This is all at 5,000+ feet where you need inches or a turbo. I jumped up over 100 mph on the highway without even thinking
    about it. The switchbacks were great especially
    with awd (roads were dry) although the bicyclists
    on the road looked nervous (yuk yuk).
    My point is that I would get way too many speeding
    tickets in this thing. Plus I'd be driving up
    people's backs and flashing headlights like in
    "Ronin". I'm going to get an A4 1.8T with an
    upgrade chip; I think that's fast enough and saves
    a lot of money. Love the car; best sounding
    engine I ever heard and if you can restrain yourself in traffic then go for it. Maybe I'm
    too old and wimpy. Of course, with the money I
    save I'm going to get an A4 wagon for my wife and kiddo and chip that too...
  • creisscreiss Posts: 1
    Although I think I could handle the extra power of the S4, I'm not sure I can handle the price tag. Does anyone know how much extra horsepower, torque, etc. adding a chip to the 1.8t adds. Also, how much does a chip cost?
  • I think the 250hp is correct. Remember that two turbo's are small ones for quicker spool up. The 3000GT has bigger turbos so more hp.

What is real impressive is the 258 lbs-ft of torque at 1850 rpms.

And, I think it was a S8 they used in Ronin. Which is an awesome movie, BTW.
  • I've been driving 3 series BMW's for 12 years and, maybe I'm getting old, but after driving the new S4 I can't wait to trade my '97 M3 Sedan. The S4 may not be quite as "hair on fire, seat of your pants" as the M3 but it is certainly every bit as capable. I drove the S4 around a rutted, potholed cloverleaf at four times the posted speed limit and never felt a wheel out of place. I perform the same exercise regularly in my M3 and although the car has no problem succeeding in its appointed task the S4 seems to accomplish it with much less drama. Maybe that's what the automotive press calls "less sporting". I was also thoroughly prepared to be disappointed in the gearbox but found that criticism a bit over stated as well. I think that the lack of gearbox precision, the same press core refers to, is in comparison to a gearbox that, if memory serves me, they called "notchy" about six years ago. In any event if the M3's gearbox is a 9 the S4's is at worst an 8. I also can't ignore the fact that a loaded S4 costs about the same thing as a new 328i with Sport and Convenience packages and the rest of the options you have to purchase separately in the 328 to bring it up to S4 level (split fold-down rear seat as found standard in garden variety Honda Accords for example). Never mind the M3 which still runs on a seven year old platform. What you get with the S4 is AWD, an extra 55HP, torque NOW and standard everything. You give up "Key Memory" (the ultimate power seat machine). I can't wait to see the new M3, which I am sure will be an amazing 2-door coupe (BMW seems eager to abandon those of us who require 4 doors and won't say for sure if they will ever produce the sedan again) and cost $10K to $15K more than a comparably equipped S4, but I'm still waiting to see the new M5 which is supposed to be for sale now. I'm not holding MY breath. My S4 hits the beach in two weeks. I plan on burning up the standard Y rated Bridgestone re09 Potenza's and getting a set of Michelin Pilot SX's on it as fast as possible. Maybe that will make it more "sporting". I'll let you know how it goes.
  • I don't know what weight the quattro adds to the A4. The figures for the weight of the A4 2.8 in Edmunds new car section indicate it is 421 lbs. lighter than the S4. I am assuming that weight is sans quattro since it is an option on this model. As indicated, you have stated the A4 quattro is over 200 lbs lighter than the S4. Kind of hard to believe the quattro system only adds 200 lbs. Nonethe less, the turbo hardware/plumbing and a longer list of standard features (bigger wheels & tires, two power seats so more electric motors/wire, CD changer etc...) all add weight. Assuming everything else is equal (from what I have read Audi has not used any aluminum in the S4 vs. the A4) the S4 should be heavier than base A4 2.8 quattro.
  • Does anybody know the affect of these chips on the warranty? Does a company like Dinan exist for Audi's? I have just purchased a '97 A8 and am interested more in a transmission chip than an engine chip currently. (or would they be a set?) Any suggestions?
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Posts: 116
    my local dealer said he would will order you an S4 at MSRP. no more and no less.

he wants a $1000 deposit, but he's only ordering them loaded (everything but navigation and phone)
    for $41,700 + tax.

www.carpoint.com indicates MSRP should be $41,400 so he's at least in the ballpark.

www.carsdirect.com price is $2000 above MSRP!?!
    they must be out of their minds.

my insurance agent tells me the S4 is cheaper to insure than M3; just a little more than A4 2.8Q.

it would be nice to find an S4 for MSRP (or less) without Bose and CD changer.

S4 vs. IS300
    CAUTION: based on sketchy data and assumptions

Lexus is saying IS300 will run about $30 - $35 k. IS300 MIGHT get a manual and it MIGHT have 225 hp (same motor as GS300); rumor says maybe even 245.
    i'd only consider a manual with at least 225 bhp.

my guess is that a loaded IS300 would be closer to $35k than $30k. another $5k buys you an S4.

IS300 will be rear drive and have 17" wheels but i'm not thrilled with the idea of driving around in the snow, even with snow tires.

i'm assuming that the S4 with snow tires would be an excellent winter car even though it has a very low ground clearance. is that true?

i'll probably still wait to see what happens with the Lexus IS300 next July, but it's looking like the S4 might well be worth the extra money.

wishful thinking?
    is the body style for A4 was going to be changing a lot for 2001? if so, that MIGHT bring down the prices for the 2000 S4 next summer.
  • Excuse the ignorance but how do you go about choosing a chip for a car? Where do you get them and how much do they cost?
  • jwolffjwolff Posts: 19
    Visit a4.org where they have a forum that reviews all the different chips. Bang for the buck are the Neuspeed chips.
  • you can also find ECU chips and other performance options at vwvortex.com. once you have entered the main page click on the resources button in the upper left for a list of hot links.
  • Not to be repetitive but...

Has anyone purchased an S4 below invoice? If so, can you share your strategy with us?