Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    :lemon: Honda :lemon: Odyssey :lemon: VCM :lemon: succinctly described. :lemon:
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you are funny, but generally helpful and informative...

one time for my benefit, and the benefit of others monitoring fuel economy in their vans, i'd like you to justify the existance of the "instantaneous" MPG estimate that your vehicle presents to you.

i am sincere.

IMHO it is a technological gimic that i can't imagine anyone honestly relying upon. now a long-term MPG estimate, maybe. i once owned a Jetta GLI that had both, and never used the short-term / instantaneous mode. the long term average was fairly accurate when compared to miles driven/gallons pumped, but i always did the hand calculation. i don't want to rely on fuel monitoring much further than an idiot (low-tech) light that tells me it's time to consider refueling.

the thing i missed about the console computer display in the Jetta GLI, compared to my Odyssey is a OAT (Outside Air Temp) display. IMHO *much* more useful than an instantaneous MPG estimate.

hey, i like the sienna, i just think that function is gratuitous technology, and it promotes heads down time. i think the laser cruise is another example of gratuitous technology, but if that's what a consumer wants, toyota is going to provide it.

i'm against technology for technology sake. you know this from my other posts.

while i doubt you really think the odyssey is a lemon; the VCM technology though - honestly, i'm not sure what my feelings on that is; lemon wouldn't be the adjective i'd use though.

regards.
  • snorkelmansnorkelman Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2005 Chrystler Town & Country with just 1700 miles.

I live in south Florida, so we only have a handful of days when it gets as cold as upper 30’s at night.

Thus, what are some of the basic things that I can do to maximize gas milage?

The only thing that I currently do is to turn off the a/c when I am accelerating hard (such as getting onto I-95) and then turn it back on when I get up to my cruising speed.

I also read that if you are going to be stopped (such as a RR crossing) for more than 30 seconds, you should shut off the engine because it uses less gas to restart than to idle.

Are these above two suggestions helpful? Any others?

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, but I haven’t found any threads of general gas-saving tips.
  • snorkelmansnorkelman Member Posts: 15
    Let me modify my previous post above. I have now read the articled refeenced about 10 pages ago.

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/echronicle/archives/2005/Q3/gas-prices.htm

Anyone have any other tips other than what is mentioned in there?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    From Detroit back to Central PA....via Ohio turnpike and rout 80 thru mountains of PA.....25 mpg overall. Got mpg as high at 27mpg on flat turnpike then it dropped to 23 in mountains. Temps in 30s, steady 75 mph.
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    Honda Odyssey VCM succinctly described.

Oh really you know this is post your gas mileage of your van. Do you own a Honda with VCM?? I do and I also owned a 2001 Dodge base SWB Caravan with 3.3L. I got between 17-18 mpg in that van. I get about 22 mpg in the Ody. Now I do drive more than before so there is more highway miles. But since school started for my kids the milage is about 3mpg better than the DCX. VCM is ok but not a lemon. It increases gas mileage by about 10% hwy and 5% city. I'm happy to get the extra 30 miles a tank. ;)
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Most and maybe all modern cars automatically will not allow the A/C compressor to rob engine power in a situation where you are accelerating very suddenly. Its a safety thing I guess. If you need full power then you won't mind no A/C for those moments, and maybe the little extra speed will save your bacon. Reducing idle time will nearly always save you some gas. But if convenience and possible safety (and wear and tear on starter and flywheel) are concerns then let it idle. Cut out the Starbucks a couple times a week and you'll save a lot more $$ than turning off the motor for 30 seconds a bunch of times.
    28.2 MPG on one 1409 mile round trip and 26.6 MPG on a 1365 mile round trip. Overall average 22.6 MPG. ;)
    Son's 2001 Odd EX gets between 20 and 24 mpg on long road trips. :sick:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The human brain is quite adept at picking up trends and averages without even trying, by looking at instant mpg readouts. On top of that, during long highway sections, the instant readout does stay fairly stable - dropping a little going uphill or rising a little going downhill.

To stay slightly on topic, I just put synthetic oil in my Sienna - curious to see if it makes any kind of difference. It has in my other cars.
    staying on topic - one doesn't need an instantaneous readout to tell them as you speed up your MPG goes down, as it does when going uphill. conversely slowing down and going downhill will cause the instantaneous displayed value to go up.

once someone has verified this, and perhaps a few other scenarios - what more is there to the utility of the this particular metric other than to satisfy one's curiousity? i'm serious about the question. ok, ok, i'll conceed, if you really haven't got a clue as to how to drive more fuel efficiently, then this metric could help "train you up".

hansienna - did both vehicles travel the same route, with the same driver, at the same speed? there are also sienna owners out there that are getting less than advertised mileage. what's your point?
    No an instant readout is not necessary, but neither are leather seats, air conditioning, cruise control, automatic transmissions etc. etc. The car will run fine without those things - actually better with less weight and less parasitic loss to the engine.

If people bought cars they needed - SUV's sure would be rare, as would most large and/or luxury vehicles. :)
    agreed (except the part about AC). two true stories:

1). once upon a time i lived in the northeast. bought a black jetta gli (manual) and specifically told dealership to find one without AC (didn't really need it in the NE). i loved driving it (i already mentioned it had both short-term and long-term MPG estimates). anyway this vehicle never gave me any trouble. several years later i found myself in atlanta. oh that was fun trying to get somewhere in the summer and arrive at my destination dry. ;)

2). wife had a small mitzubishi (sp?) hatchback (also manual), without AC... one day after work in ATL, making my way to the home we just purchased (going a new way), i zoned (combination heat and intersection unfamiliarity), made a left on green when i thought all trafic was yielding to turn right, and got spun like a top.

lesson for me: AC is not an option. now if someone made a mini-van with a stick, both my wife and i would have favored it. we realize we are in a minority. we believe a manual provides us more vehicle control and responsiveness. however, it is also true that in much of ATL traffic, a manual forces one to do more work. with an AT, i find myself arriving at my destination a bit less frazzled when traffic is very heavy.

speaking of less weight and smaller size, if i could have purchased one of those older model odysseys based on the accord, i would have done it.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...now if someone made a mini-van with a stick..."

Have you looked at the new Mazda5?
    The 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L gets better gas mileage "in the real world driving" than the 2002 Odd EX 3.5L. ;)
    thanks. i had not. just went to the mazda site. looks very interesting... will have to check the specs and take a test drive. we liked the MPV very much (good road feedback (more honda- and vw-like), good turning radius, good visability), sized better than the sienna and honda for our particular needs...only complaint i had was the engine and transmission seemed mis-matched for the vehicle and seemed underpowered with my wife and i and three kids riding in it.
    Did the MPV you test drove have the anemic 2.5L or the modern 3.0L that has good performance that gets better gas mileage than did the original smaller (marginally adequate) 2.5L? :confuse:
    All VW minivans that I have ever driven were grossly underpowered and handled about as poorly as any vehicle made... :sick: Gas mileage with the wheezing, anemic 4 cyl engine and manual transmission was MUCH lower in the VW minivans (VW Bus, Vanagon, etc. ) than the T&C with a powerful, modern 3.3L V6.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    My '01 with the 2.5L (they changed to 3.0L '02) is fine for me. I don't think it's anemic by any means. It will blast off when the light changes and cruise with the big boys at 75MPH on the freeways (I call them managed parking lots..).
    I presently have almost 90K miles, run with the a/c on all the time (it's 75 right now in Texas) and I'm getting 22mpg consistently. Ok - Houston is flat and I'm on the freeway 90% of the time but 22mpg is respectable in my opinion under the my circumstances.
    The new VW's handle very well, have decent power and are huge inside (larger than minivans). Those old ones were pathetic though - engine was always at full throttle.
    the modern 3.0L i presume. it was late 2003. i test drove 3 MPVs. comming from decades driving VWs: scirocco, rabbit, jetta, mazda 323, toyota corolla, honda accord, the honda exhibited most familiar and desireable drivability / handling / responsiveness characteristics to us of the three models we considered: the MPV, the Sienna, the Odyssey.

we did our shopping before the MPV TCM re-flashes. i experienced confused shifts and the transmission gearing and engine combination just did not seem appropriately matched to me. that is why i test drove three MPVs.
  • squestsquest Member Posts: 25
    I drove my 2004 Quest 15,384 miles in 2005, and overall average was 21.576 MPG.
    I live in the mountains of North Ga. This included trips to Florida, Maine, and mostly suburban driving. Not too much city stop and go.
  • boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
    If you were to ask me, I think the "so called" computer readout of "Instant MPG" is nothing more than a Vacuum guage, with the inches of Vacuum replaced with MPG readouts. You could get the same result with a simple Vacuum Guage.
    I tend to agree with user777, somethings are nice to have for comfort, and some are just gizmos & gadgets to distract you from the main task of driving.

I remember an old saying ......

A Little Gas... A Little Oil.
    A Little Spark... A Little Coil.
    4 Little Wheels... & A Running Board
    It might have been a Model T Ford....

Boxwrench
  • miagarfuncklemiagarfunckle Member Posts: 51
    I have a question. They say if you drive over 60mph(which all of us do on the freeway) then you get progressively worse mileage. Well I don't understand. My 2005 Dodge Caravan with 21k on the clock got 24 on the way to Flagstaff from Phoenix and then got 28 on the way back for an average of 26 mpg. That was one way going up and up and up from 1000 feet to over 7000 feet and then back down. Loaded with family and all luggage with average speed about 75mph. Does that mean that I can go 60 the entire trip on average and get like 33-35mpg or what. I can keep my tach below 3000 and be doing over 90mph in the 3.3l engine. Explain this.
    You could very well get that kind of mileage if you drive 60 and there is no wind, or hills etc. Try it and let us know!
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Just traded in my 2000 MPV with 112K miles. Throughout its relatively trouble-free life it consistently returned 21-22 mpg in a 50/50 mix of driving. Best highway only number was about 24 mpg. I can agree with bob57 that the 2.5 engine can keep up with the flow. It's my impression that it was more reliable than the 3.0 has been.
    What did you get to replace it? Thanks. ;)
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    We traded for an '05 Volvo V70. The dealer still had some '05's, marked down to within a couple grand of our other choices (Saturn Vue and Mazda 6 Wagon). The '05's come with 3yr/36K free maintenence, but not the '06's. Figured that was worth at least $500. It was a demonstrator/loaner, so they'd knocked the price down to slightly below Kelly Blue Book value.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Congrats on the purchase. I've always like the design/shape of the recent Volvos.
    The 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L gets better gas mileage "in the real world driving" than the 2002 Odd EX 3.5L.

Let's hope so, the Odyssey is a larger engine with 60 more horsepower and 32 lb-ft more torque. If it got better economy too (and I can't say it's much different, but if it was for you, I have no reason to doubt it), Chrysler would have egg on its face, for a triple loss. In all fairness, we always got EPA in town our 2000 model Odyssey EX, occasionally more on the highway (26-27 on trips to the beach at 80mph wasn't uncommon).
    2001 Odd EX 3.5L has 205 Hp 217 Lb-Ft torque with unleaded regular while the 2001 T&C LX 3.3L has 180 HP and 210 Lb-Ft Torque.
    Do the Math: Odd has 25 more HP and a whopping 7 Lb-Ft more Torque. Even with premium unleaded, the 2001 Odd has 210 HP and 229 Lb-Ft...a difference of 30 more HP and 19 Lb-Ft Torque....

Please do not exaggerate the Odd engine output. :sick:
    I'm sorry, the vehicles referred to were 2002 models. NOT 2001. Please do not try to mince my words. :sick:

I'm kind of tired of you accusing me of lying. If you will just READ the statement I made, you VERY OBVIOUSLY referred to the 2002 models of both. So did I. IF YOU DO THE MATH, you will see that the 2002 Odyssey garners 240 horsepower on regular gasoline, as well as 242 lb-ft of torque.

I'm not sure why you enjoy trying to make me look bad, because it just makes me call attention to your lack of credibility.
    I just get annoyed when someone accuses me of lying before realizing that they are the ones that are wrong. I didn't intend to get to that low of a level in my posts, and usually exercise restraint. I'd like it if a real discussion can come out of this forum, without it getting down to people blantantly lying in hoping those who don't know any better will side with them.

NO ONE IS SUPPOSED TO TAKE SIDES! Just discuss the merits of the vehicles!
  • bholabhola Member Posts: 15
    I bought this late december so less then one month old with 640 miles. I had to fill up tank twice and my milage was 17. Not so happy but hoping that it will increased or will need to see dealer soon.-B
    Is there more city driving involved, or highway? If it is city, there probably isn't anything wrong. Highway, though, you should take it in to the dealer.

Remember, winter temperatures and "winter forumula" gasolines reduce fuel economy somewhat (I've noticed about a 10% dip in my mileage since October (from 29 mpg, to 26-27 ish in my 96 Accord). Give it a little time to break in, also. Some people see gains in their economy after a few thousand miles, some don't. I wouldn't fret to much, but keep us posted as things in the engine break-in a little more, and temperatures start rising in March.
    2001 Odd EX 3.5L has 205 Hp 217 Lb-Ft torque with unleaded regular while the 2001 T&C LX 3.3L has 180 HP and 210 Lb-Ft Torque.
    Do the Math: Odd has 25 more HP and a whopping 7 Lb-Ft more Torque. Even with premium unleaded, the 2001 Odd has 210 HP and 229 Lb-Ft...a difference of 30 more HP and 19 Lb-Ft Torque....

The Ody probably had even less HP, based on the new more realistic SAE test methods which now forces the Japanese to test them more realistically i.e.. crankcases full of oil etc...

I always found it funny how, for example, an Infiniti G35 V6 produced 260hp but a 225 hp BMW always beat it in acceleration?
    Please do not exaggerate the Odd engine output.

Why not? Honda has been exaggerating both output and MPG!
    Honda and Toyota are the first of few companies already going by the new testing standards of the industry. YOU know this.

Where has Honda lied about MPG? I figured you would know that Honda does not set the figures listed on the window sticker. That would be thr trusty ole Environmental Protection Agency, the same very one that provides data for your Chrysler, Joe Schmo's Nissan, and Jane Doe's Daewoo. We have always gotten at or slightly over EPA numbers i ours. Of course, we did in our Chrysler too!
  • bholabhola Member Posts: 15
    thegraduate,

Thanks for the response. Yes most (90%) of milage on my 2006 Ody are in the city (under speed limit of 45mph). I will wait for another thousand miles and see if it makes any improvement.-B
    Honda and Toyota are the first of few companies already going by the new testing standards of the industry. YOU know this.

The Big 3 were already testing close to new SAE, and were usually very conservative with their HP ratings, note that many domestic models actually gained HP. Many Japanese lost HP because they were testing without accessories and low oil in crankcase.

Where has Honda lied about MPG? I figured you would know that Honda does not set the figures listed on the window sticker. That would be thr trusty ole Environmental Protection Agency, the same very one that provides data for your Chrysler, Joe Schmo's Nissan, and Jane Doe's Daewoo. We have always gotten at or slightly over EPA numbers i ours. Of course, we did in our Chrysler too!

Actually manufacturers do their own testing (you think EPA has the resources to test every new and carry over model each year?) and provide data to EPA to post. Poor MPG seems a common complaint on some vehicles. I exceeded my 25mpg highway est, getting 27mpg on highway, doing 75mph on way back to PA at christmas. Not shabby for an old pushrod and 4 spd auto.
    I made a post about our 2000 Odyssey 4-speed getting over EPA posted numbers, back when we hauled stuff to move furniture into our beach condo. Perhaps we owe each other a pat on the back?
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Sorry to hear that, but the reality is that I had a 2005 Odyssey EX-L RES with about 12000 miles and never got better than 16-17 MPG (30% city, 70% hwy) and since I had other issues for over a year, I decided to get rid of it by trading it with a beauty 2006 Sienna Limited and with almost 1000 miles I got 19-20 city and 24-25 highway... never ever again HONDA!!!!
    After two engine replacements in my mom's friend's Camry due to a sludge problem that Toyota wouldn't address, she traded on a 2005 Accord LX-V6 coupe. NEVER EVER AGAIN TOYOTA!!!!

Sorry to hear about your isolated lemon problem, agno, but it lemons aren't strangers to Toyotas either. You just got one from a Honda. They happen to every car company. Hopefully you won't hav the infamous Toyota sludge problem.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    It was not a lemon, it is just plain that HONDA was not/is not/will not be ever able to compete to the quality and reliability of TOYOTA... facts speak...:

--end of story--
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    If this is your way of supporting that toyota has better reliability and quality than Honda, you should get a better source. Has anyone ever read the fine print for JD Power and Associates surveys???
    Look buddy, there is no "end of story" as you say, until the host closes the forum to entries, which may happen soon if you keep acting like this.
    201 vs 194.....looks like hair spliting to me. Where's my Dodge?? :)

What gets me is people's attitudes that linger for years!! "I had a 1992 Caravan POS" or "My Toyota had this issue"....Face it, there's lemons enough to go around!!
    This is true. Hey, I think you and I agree on something! COOL!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    We have enough "this vs. that" topics for comparing the features/overall reliability of different minivans. Let's get back to the minivan mileage.

Need help getting around? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Well that sure slowed things down around here...
  • jcchevyjcchevy Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

Bought 2006 Honda Odessey Touring DVD and NAV end of Sept 2005. Gas mileage is terrible - 13-15 mpg around town (same as my 2002 Suburban) and 24-25 on highway (OK, I get 18-19 on highway with my Suburban), not the 18 around town and 28 on highway they claimed and Honda had on sticker.

Sorry but last thing that bugs me, no spare with Touring model. I know all the reasons but gosh can't I at least get a spare tire with my brand new $38,000 car so I can at least put it on myself to drive to a dealer to get my fancy tire/wheel combo? I know it may damage the vehicle if you're a distance from a dealer to get replaced but what happens if you're out in the middle of desert, you get a flat, you're cell phone or other communication doesn't work? You can't even put a spare on the vehicle because you don't have one!! Thanks Honda.

Sorry, but never again a Honda. They really disappointed me. I have other issues with my new Odessey but I'll write that in a different forum.

Thanks,

bummer
    Just took a long trip in a 2006 Sienna. 28.5 mpg averaging about 74 mph.

Did have a pretty stiff tail wind though. ;)