Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi S4 and S4 Cabriolet

Comments

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    But Alcantara is a petroleum-based microfiber. The color is supposed to be in the fiber. Something's wrong there, rjlaero.

Anywho, I have Alcantara trim in my current car and I rather like the thought of the grippy seat inserts under my butt! Corner fast; stay put!

Mine looks a bit faded when the nap is flat (like from leaning my elbow on it), but a quick vac with the brush attachment perks it right up again.

OTOH, I guess I really don't need it to enjoy myself. I'm glad to hear the seat contract still belongs to Recaro. It'd be nice a some other mfrs would get on that bandwagon.
  • michael26michael26 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am ordering a new S4 tomorrow . they will have the new body style in the spring of 06. Sorry to hear that you got some misinformed info. You should of waited till this spring. Anyway you still have an amazing car . ttyl m
  • david38david38 Member Posts: 3
    I am going to buy a new Audi S4 this week (in black) and need some help. What am I best to buy, the avant or s4 sedan? I am torn between the 2. I don't need the practicality of an avant and am currently driving a sedan (BMW 540i) so would usually go for the sedan, but ..... am starting to think that the avant looks that bit more sporty. Views?
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    "...but ..... am starting to think that the avant looks that bit more sporty. Views?"

Agreed. Big time. About a hunnert 'n' fitty percent!

Aside from (IMO) the tougher looks, and obvious gain in utility, the weight difference is roughly 130 pounds, about par for a backpack. Now, while that will cost an estimated tenth of a second to 60 on paper, the fact that the weight gain is all in the rear means that overall, as is the case with most wagons v. their sedan counterparts, the balance should in fact be better. Comparing apples to apples, a wagon version of a sedan should produce better slalom times, just as an indicator. My little wagon handily beats its sedan counterpart in that test.

But I'm not a fit, objective observer. My take is "wagons rule" pure and simple. Or anything with a backpack for that matter; shooting brakes included. I'm even twisted enough to find BMW's M (the Keds one) substantially more appealing than it's Z cousin, and harbor undying lust for a full resto'd Triumph GT6 and/or a similarly preened MGB-GT.

Always consider the source...
    ;-]
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Good luck on getting the new S4 cab this Spring! You're looking at late summer/early fall 2006 before the new body style cabs will be on dealer lots in the US.

You indeed may be able to place an order for a 2007 Cabriolet in the Spring, but having them ready for delivery is another thing.
  • s4lvrs4lvr Member Posts: 7
    I have owned an A4 3.0Q for a couple of years and looking to upgrade to the S4. Have test-driven the cab a couple of times now and love it! I am in the Mid-West and cab weather is pretty much over!! Looking to find a good deal on an 05 Cab (manual) or a low-mileage pre-owned. Anybody have some suggestions or leads?
  • farazalifarazali Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking around at Audis, Volvos, BMWs, Saabs, etc. for a while, and am pretty smitten with the S4 cab. Have been test-driving some pre-owned vehicles in the New England area and have seen a few I like. But before I pull the trigger, I have three specific questions:

(1) I've never owned a cab ... can anyone confirm that is *not* an issue when it comes to handling brutal winters? I'm worried about the cold factor as well as about a foot of snow piled up on the top.

(2) This car will be for everyday use ... can anyone comment on how the S4 handles average everyday bumps in the road? I know the S4 will be awesome for road trips to surrounding areas, but am a little worried about how it will fare on the mediocre roads of Boston proper. Do you feel every pebble on the ground? One dealer suggested I look at the A4 cab with S-line package instead as that shell can handle everyday use better than the S4.

(3) Realistically what kind of mileage do you get on this vehicle for everyday city driving? My daily commute is pretty short, so am not worried about gas prices ... at least for right now. But as prices go up, I find myself wishing Audi came up with a hybrid S4 cab!

Looking to make a decision in the coming days, so will appreciate any words of wisdom from those of you with experience. Thanks in advance. :confuse:
  • mazzmazz Member Posts: 1
    Now I'm confused. I want to get the S4 Cabriolet with the newest body style (which has the front grill like the new A6 and A4). Dealer told me that the new body is already coming on the S4 sedan, but won't be on the S4 Cabriolet until Fall 2007 deliveries.

I'd love to get the real scoop so I can target a Spring purchase.

thanks
    That's about right. You might be able to order the new body style cabs in the late spring time, but actual delivery times are in the latter part of 2006 (very late summer/early fall).
  • wallabyguywallabyguy Member Posts: 20
    Farazali,

I have had a S4 cab since mid June and have driven 10k so far. I'm located in Philadelphia so our roads would be pretty much the same type. There is absolutely no issue with the ride of the car even on cobblestone. Of course my last car was an Elise so I'm a little more used to a rough ride. That said, my wife doesn't seem to mind driving it on a regular basis.

I can't comment on the cold weather thing personally but I've read that it's exceptional for a convertible.

My milage is about the same as my 1998 A6 Avant (roughly 20mpg in mixed driving).
  • solinasolina Member Posts: 2
    I have had 5 Audi cars over the last 6 years and they have perservered well through lousy NJ winters. My S4 needed snow tires though as no car with high performance tires does well in the snow.
  • solinasolina Member Posts: 2
    Been thinking of getting a motorola 815 phone to use bluetooth capability on my 2006 S4 cab. Anyone have any advice?
  • malhotra1malhotra1 Member Posts: 2
    I live in London and have just ordered the new cab with the new grille. We call it the W12 Grille. The new car is pretty much the same as the previous, apart from different engines - we are now getting the incredible 2.0 FSI Turbo (seen on the VW Gold GTI) and alos a V6 3.2. main diferences otherwise are, new alloy wheels, new steering wheel, and we also have the S Line range - which is a fabulous sports upgrade - giving RS6 alloys, new aluminium trim inside and a whole new sports suspension package. Anyone wanting to try an S4 Cab before you buy - just got to Hertz in LA, they rent them out. We had our same car while in LA for 3 weeks - like home from home!
    Has anybody else seen the new 25th Anniv. S4 in person yet? The overall package looks incredible.

The interior is 2-tone with special stitching, and the carbon fiber is a much bigger and bolder pattern. There's also a carbon fiber lip spoiler on the back. The front grill is painted piano black, along with the filler panel strip.

The front and rear spoilers are heavily modifed, and the rear quaters have "slats" at the very back. The 18's are highly polished and look really sharp in person.

About 62k. No extra options on the 25th anniv. cars as they have Navi and all the options.
  • audifan01audifan01 Member Posts: 2
    Any recommendations on snow tires? I assume that snow tires are recommended instead of the stock tires???
    First snow hit yesterday--bout time to figure it out don't you think.
    Thanks
  • s4times2s4times2 Member Posts: 2
    I had a set of dunlop winter sport m2's on my 2000 s4, I just got some m3's on my 2004 s4. Both are great but honestly I think the m2's are better. Also going down one inch in rim size helps as you get a narrower contact patch.
  • s4times2s4times2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyoneknow if there is a hidden eq. on a bose symphony 2? I own a 2000 s4 which has a symphony 1. This system sounds way better than the newer version. Any suggestions? Also my 2000 s4 (57K) is for sale. It is mint tons of extra stuff. Any leads?
  • siriatosiriato Member Posts: 1
    I am moving back to the (east coast)US in the spring after 4 years in London. I have searched the forum for advise on ordering the S4 Cab. I absolutely want the new body style (A6 nose) and every conceivable option. I am looking to build the "uber" S4. The Audi website seems limited in terms of a configurator (refer to Mini.com to see how it should be done...). Any advise on ordering this great car with all the bells & whistles? Many Thanks.
  • giguygiguy Member Posts: 1
    Is there going to be a new model in 2007 or the same as 2006? I am thinking about the S4 cabio. now, but want to know if I should wait.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    The new model in 2007 will be the A4/S4 Cabriolet. They will be updated with the sedan's front fascia, revised rear lights and exhaust, new wheels, the new engines and an updated interior.

I'd wait for the 2009 A5 Cabriolet... I've seen pics- gorgeous!

;)
  • witnessxwitnessx Member Posts: 11
    I know that for 2006, the torque split of the Quattro system was 40/60 on manual transmission cars and 50/50 for cars with the six speed automatic. Do all 2007 S4's have the 40/60 torque split, or is that feature reserved for manual trans cars only?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Would you NOT buy one of these cars if it were 50 50?

Why would you care about the torque split if you are interested in an auto anyway? Torsen is NOT a reactionary system it acts IN REAL TIME (to transfer torque IN ADVANCE of impending wheelspin to the end of the car that needs it the most.)

Indeed, I am wondering how often you will ever drive this car in such a fashion that you would actually notice if it were 50 50 or 40 60?

Me, I'd take the stick and I'd pray to the god of weight balance to balance the S4's weight about equally over its front and rear wheels. The 40 60 split, although certainly a desirable thing is, most of the time, irrelevant.

If you drive in competition on closed circuits a lot, well perhaps, perhaps, this is an issue.

Otherwise the S4 quattro is "anything you want it to be" for all intents and purposes.

Klik Here
    I don't believe that's true. The only models that have gotten the new torque split so far were the Q7 and RS4- you'll have to wait for the next-gen modular products to see it spread across the range. It will revolutionize Audi, and just like how the RS4 trounced the M3, Audi will become as sporty as BMW- a milestone for August Horch.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    It is true, the S4 has a 60% bias to the rear wheels. You can check that at the Audi website.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Debating trading in my 645ci convertible for an S4 cabriolet. Any opinions on how the two cars will differ, or what to do. Advice would be great. Thanks. :)
  • vsromanvsroman Member Posts: 95
    My X3 goes off-lease in April and I'm trying to come up with some options for my winter/bad weather driver. I'm considering an 01/03 S4 Wagon 30-50K mileage range. I would only buy one w/ext warranty. Even so, I'm worried as to how much time it will spend in the shop...

Comments from 01-03 S4 owners on reliability would be much appreciated...also, do most owners put All Seasons or switch to winter tires for the snow...

Thanks!

PS. I know an S4 may be a bit much as a winter driver but I do have speed issues in cold weather too... ;)
  • trout818trout818 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 S4 cab and just hit 23000 miles. It is a daily commuter car in the DC area. I travel about 70 miles a day and the car has been awesome. We haven't had much snow and mine is garaged so I can't comment on your first question. As to the other, the ride is firm but not harsh. The roads here are bad but the car has been bulletproof. I've traded from an M3 and a Z4 so I do know what harsh rides are. I did switch the OEM tires to ultra high performance all seasons and have had no trouble with weather. I average between 18-20 miles today on my normal commute. Even on road trips, I've never done much better than 23 or so. Hope this helps
  • 997997 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I'm a new member and haven't owned an Audi before. I'm ready to pull the trigger on an 07 S4 Sedan today or tomorrow. I would appreciate any opinions and/or advice regarding the car.
    My concerns are: Is the car reliable? How bad IS gas mileage? Resale? When will the next S4 come out? What should I pay on a clean deal? And, lastly, fun factor. I've owned E46 M-3's, a 997 carrera and turbo, so I have experience with other performance cars. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    I would. I own an S4 Cabriolet, and the car is simply fabulous. The interior is flawless (I recommend getting it close to loaded), the exterior is timeless, and the performance is creamy smooth. It also offers the winter versatility of quattro. Would you be getting the updated '07 model, or an '05-'06? I have an '05, in Sprint Blue. The color is unbelievably beautiful. Must see to believe. When I ordered it in my color, I was concerned it would be too loud, but I still took the risk. I now think it's the only color to get- I haven't gotten tired of it and it still turns heads.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    It's a lot more fun than you might expect. It can trounce M3s on the highway, has great torque reserves, and an almost opulent interior.

Reliability depends on how you maintain your cars. If you thrash them around, it won't hold up any worse than a BMW, but I try to keep mine in mint condition, so I haven't had a single problem (I've owned it for a year and a half).

Gas mileage is pretty bad if you drive hard. Expect 15-17mpg in the city and 17-20 on the highway.

Resale is okay. Not terrible. Mine is still worth about $46K. Bought it for $63K back in April of '05.

Payment depends on the dealer more than not. Don't let them ask $2K over sticker or more.

And by the way- get it in Sprint Blue. Here's a picture of my Sprint Blue Cabriolet:

/Users/quattro91292/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2005/06/23/IMG_0617.JPG

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330 (soon to be replaced)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have received or are giving a luxury car as a gift for Christmas. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 8, 2006 with your daytime contact info.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.
    Any Audi fans out here feel like the S4 has been passed up by the BMW 335 for value, acceleration, and pretty good handling? I feel like Audi needs to make a move at some point to increase the performance of the S4, or the A4 significantly, or risk being irrelevant in the segment.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Good choice. The S4 is "Highly Recommended" by Consumer Reports. I used to own a 2004 S4 and never had any problems, but what a fun car to drive.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    I doubt the A4 will become irrelevant in this segment. That is quite a statement considering not only the popularity of the A4, but its reputation around the world. That said, I do agree with you Audi must respond to the ever present evil. A new A4 with a completely new platform is set to debut next year. Not much details yet, but initial pics look very promising. A complete new platform is expected (see the upcoming A5 coupe). Handling and steering will be improved further. What I know is that Audi is very serious with the next A4 and with its recent launches, this should bode well of the next A4. Everything will change from what is already one of the best in this class to even better. However, not enough details yet.
    Yeah, I know about the new MLP platform, i just wasn't sure if and when it hits dealers. Markincincinnatti said something about the quattro being reworked as well. I know they are doing a rear biased torque system, but I thought he said it may be more like the Subaru system that only engages the front wheels on extreme slip.

I think a considerable bump in horsepower is necasary as well.
    I really think it's the S4 that becomes irrelevant.
  • denaliinpadenaliinpa Member Posts: 169
    i disagree with your "irrelevant statement".
    don't forget that the S4 has a fantastic V8
    and AWD. those attributes along with high quality materials
    inside and out make the S4 still unbeatable in its
    class. BMW's new 335i is an impressive performer
    at a reasonable price. i've test driven one and
    it is a nice automobile. even though
    it is a brand new vehicle the current generation S4 is still a more comprehensive package overall. having owned
    both BMW's and Audi's i am on a daily basis impressed with
    Audi's attention to detail and the amount of subtle features Audi loads into their cars.
    I agree.

Although, take note that I've never owned a BMW. I probably will- if not a 650ci to replace the S4 (that won't happen), then a 335xi coupe if that comes to market. or a secondhand E70 X5, to replace the A3 as my winter car.

I agree with reality2. I don't see it becoming "irrelevant" any time soon.

The current model, maybe- as the C-Class (upcoming), G, IS and 3 are all in their next generations.

But, being the second-best-selling car in its class, worldwide (right behind the 3, with the others trailing considerably), the A4 has an enviable position and will improve it greatly with the new model. If they finally utilize the 3.6L V6 in their mainstream cars, it would do wonders- especially if they could get it to about 310hp; the 2.0T can easily be upgraded to the mid-200 range. The S4 should have a slightly de-tuned RS4 engine (380-400hp), and the B8 RS4 should have at least 450hp. However, I'm not saying that like I know specs- I'm saying that I think it should have those numbers.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Between the 3 different S4's, mainly, the covertible, the sedan, and the wagon?

Thanks!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Dkaregeannes, I moved your post to the S4 Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Someone there should be able to help.
  • pfhuntpfhunt Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 stick/manual S4, and I've noticed a rattling or vibration sound from the front right of the car just as I'm letting out the clutch to take off after a stop.

It stops again almost immediately (as I continue to accelerate) and doesn't appear occur at higher gears (although the engine might be drowning it out).

Anyone else experienced this?
  • realestate94realestate94 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 s4 sedan and i`m in love with it! Its fast and handles like a porche if not better my question is that their is this moisture inside the headlights on the light cover from the inside...does anyone know if this is normal for a 3 year old car? Thanks.
  • mr1340mr1340 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 S4 and was told by the dealer moisture is normal from time to time and to resolve it run the high beams for 30 minutes to dry the lights out
  • alko1alko1 Member Posts: 9
    I'm shopping used '04-'07 S4 vs '03 (old style)BMW 540 w/M Sport package. Love driving both cars. Anyone have any insights, thoughts, what to watch out fors??
  • formercdguyformercdguy Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 05 S4 Cabrio a year ago as a certified used car. Great car but had some initial electrical bugs. the battery kept dieing and the dealer had a very hard time diagnosing the issue in one of the black boxes. After 5 trips to the dealer and a lot of disconnecting my battery at night they got it resolved. It also burned through a radio and an amplifier. I assume these issues were isolated and not typical of the S4. keep in mind its burns lots of fuel particularly when you get on it but in the end its a really fun car that is very capable winter and summer with Quattro.

enjoy

rich b
  • jmgmdjmgmd Member Posts: 4
    Happy to say I just ordered a 2008 S4. Haven't owned a car for 6 years (live in NYC) and I can't wait..I have a few questions and would love to get some input from someone out there with experience:
    1. How do people feel about the silver leather interior?? I ordered it having only seen the black interior up close and now I'm nervous that it looks a bit awkward with the black dash and carpet.
    2. Is the stereo amazing or just OK?
    3. Also thinking about an exhaust upgrade and window tinting; any contacts in the Palm Beach Florida area??
    Thanks
  • denverg35denverg35 Member Posts: 54
    I have a 2005 S4 with what I think is the color you are calling silver (looks kinda greyish white to me). I still get compliments on the color contrast to the black interior. You do have to be careful with this light color though, as it will show stains easily
  • jmgmdjmgmd Member Posts: 4
    Any comments on the quality of the stereo in the S4. superior, above average or average??

Thanks.
  • asa2asa2 Member Posts: 23
    I'm liking the S4 from outside. Have an ML350 I like and was going to get another-question--How is the interior space realistically if I have to bring 2 kids along some of the time (not everyday)?
This discussion has been closed.