Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• whzrdwhzrd Member Posts: 39
    I decided to do a little interior cleaning today in the 2k lesabre. It all started innocently by buying a 3 in 1 armor all package for cleaning | protecting | windows.

Well, after starting with that I pulled out the armor all protectant I had in the trunk and really went to town on everything in the interior of the inside of the car including doors and trunk.

I went to the gas cap and armorall'd it, the filler tube and base of the the tube platform all had some rust on it. It seemed to darken my cleaning rag some so I added some more. The rust is still there though not as much and it is moist instead of dry and crusty/rusty.

After replacing the cap and re starting the car. No, more service engine soon light I had it all through winter!

I just wanted to up date and thank imidazol97 for the assist. Even though mine was the only post I noticed in this forum about that issue.
  • silveradonsilveradon Member Posts: 1
    I just inherited a 98 LeSabre from my dad.. it seems to be a great car (years ago I loved my similar 93 Bonneville), but this darn thing has this common problem of no AC coming out of the dash (MID) vents. I've seen dozens and dozens of complaints and queries about this exact problem all over the net (various forums) with solutions ranging from a simple vacuum hose off or leaking (not lucky enough to find that yet), to a bad chip ($1000), to bad control heads(?). What level of failure do we consumers have to put up with before a manufacturer admits a problem and steps up to the plate to offer a fix? Any advice appreciated.
  • aiutoaiuto Member Posts: 46
    I have a 1995 leSabre w/ power windows where I can open the rear driver window from the driver console, but not from the rear seat. Is it easy to get the cover off of the panel to check the contacts? any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Thx.

aiuto
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    It could be the switch contacts no making contact (dirty) in the rear door. Since the motor works from the front we know the motor is okay. Have you tried putting it down from the driver's panel and then putting it up from the rear switch?

My guess is a bad contact inside the switch from dust or nonuse.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• aiutoaiuto Member Posts: 46
    Thx. How do I get the panel off to check the contacts?
  • rjh4rjh4 Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone having trouble with thier 2004 Buick Lesabre Custom at freeway speeds as my Buick has a Vibration at these speeds. It is equip with15" General Tires, is this problem or is it a factory defect or design problem.Please let me Know.
    You are under warranty I assume. TAke it back to your dealer for them to Road Force Balance the wheels and tires on a Hunter 9700 balancer. This will eliminate variations in the sponginess in the tire at different points on the tire.

I could be a defective tire. It could be a bent wheel. I could be just a plain out of balance tire. It could be alignment is off slightly and has worn tires. If you have less than 12K on it, they should be happy to fix alignment and balance.

After that be the squeaky wheel.

• readyeddiereadyeddie Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a used 2002 lesabre custom. The car came without an owners manual.

I just had the oil changed, but the oil life index percent did not change. How do i reset the index??

Thanks in advance for the help.
  • whzrdwhzrd Member Posts: 39
    go to the DIC to the oil life index reading and press the reset button. If it doesnt change hold it longer. Should reset it.
  • davcodavco Member Posts: 9
    sometimes the dash buttons labeled vent, heat, defog etc. will work, thus actutating the blower fan, but most times they "stick" and refuse to switch.

Any suggestions?
  • paramedicparamedic Member Posts: 8
    I have a 95 Olds 88 And had the belt break on a highway, it wrapped around the axle but no damage. The lower mount has an extension that is more for additional suport but must be removed to get the belt off. The bolt that is removed doesn't support the engine weight. I am an ex mechanic with a bad back and the total job too 1/2 hour. Remember to d/c the crank sensor and reconnect or you will not start. not an awefully hard job
  • gotnogogotnogo Member Posts: 3
    Have a 97 LeSabre and the above gauges are definately not accurate. I was told that since they are digital there is a chip of sorts that pops in behind the speedometer. Now how does one get to it if this is so. Do I have to remove the dash face- I would guess it pops off with a little prying similar to a door panel. Thanks in advance for any input. :surprise:
  • mcarpentermcarpenter Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 LeSabre leaks too. I found one of the leaks, but there may be another. If you remove the spare tire and fuzzy lining from the trunk, you might be able to see residue from flood waters. On my car, the spare tire well would fill with water, and some water would flow underneath the rear seat.

The sheetmetal in the trunk that shrouds the gas filler tube had a sloppy, incomplete seal. I could see the residue where dirty water had flowed. Spraying water with a hose into the drivers side wheel well duplicated the problem. This leak was easy to find. I cleaned the area with brake cleaner and sealed it with silicone.

Unfortunately, since sealing one leak, I have come to discover that there is another leak. I hope the slob that smeared sealant on the first year assembly line (touching your car and mine) finally got trained, retired, quit, or died.

All you need to find leaks is the ability to strip out the fuzzy liner, a water hose, and spare time to rectify sloppy manufacturing with silicone caulk.

By the way, my 2000 Grand Touring LeSabre has been a pretty good car.

Loves :) : Engine, performance, gas milage, sunroof, CD changer, heated seats, stabilitrak, heads-up display

Hates :mad: : Leaky trunk, almost stalls accelerating while coming out of corners, bouncy ride, 16 inch wheels almost impossible to clean (brake dust), unreliable airconditioning.
    lThanks for the tips on leaks in the trunk. I'm going to check my 03 and see if there are any leaks.

About the wheels. I have the chromed version and I waxed them with a Mothers Chrome Polish. It seems to help the little bit of brake dust (gray) that does come from the low dust linings they now use on the brakes.

You probably have the roughened aluminum wheel? Isn't there a spray on cleaner for brake dust meant for wheel covers that have spokes? Or I would try Dawn, one of the best emulsifiers I've found, and a bristle round brush for dishes like my wife bought somewhere. It looks a little like the old barber brushes they use for lathering up a face from a cup of lather soap. It fits in the palm of your hand, it has a reservoir inside for detergent (could put cleaner in there?) and you press a little and the lather is released through a tiny tube down into the bristles.

There's an oil residue that seems to be on th e wheels, from the roads or the brake dust. If you can cut that it may make your wheels easier to clean.
    Good luck.

• schmeagleschmeagle Member Posts: 5
    I am attempting to replace my radio and heater control panel in my '95 Lesabre. I am having difficulty removing the plastic plate in front of the dashboard, which covers the bolts which fasten the radio and heater control panel, because I cannot find the the clips or bolts which keep this plastic plate attached. I don't need to remove the entire dashboard and I don't want to break this part. This part of the dashboard stretches across the entire width of the dashboard and also cover the periphery of the speedometer and gauges.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    I did take it back to Michael Hohl Motors in Carson City, Nevada TWICE and they have balanced 2 times, rotated 1 time the tires with no success. The factory rep came out and said nothing was wrong with the vehicle so there is nothingto fix. She said it is the characteristics of the vehicle. I also filed a complaint with BBB.AUTOLINE with no success as I mentioned it could be a design problem which is not covered under thier program. The bottom line is the Vibration is still there. Any ideas on what I can do. Thanks rjh4
    What brand and which tire is on the car. What size are your wheels?

Have the tires been force-balanced on a Hunter 9700 balancer? The dealer should have one.

How many miles are on the car?

If your ' 95 is similar to my ' 94, there is a trim plate that is about two inches high which runs from just to the left of the steering column to the right edge of the dashboard. Above that is the main dashboard panel. The lower trim plate has to be carefully pried off from the retaining clips; there are no bolts or screws holding the plate on. The main panel has bolts and screws and these also have to be removed to gain access to the heater controls and radio units. I have not gotten to the main panel yet; it looks like quite a job... the eight buttons that control air flow on my car are sticking and only switch when they feel like it, as if the car has a mind of it's own! Does anyone have a cure for the buttons? Could it be a vacuum problem? Or does the whole unit need replaced? Help!! :surprise:
    Just on a wild chance:

does anything else funny happen when the HVAC unit seems to lose its mind or change settings without reason? My 93 used to do default to defroster with air compresser on and the power door locks didn't work. After a few minutes they would work again.

IT was the ground connections next to driver's left hand under carpet between seat and door sill. It's covered in a plastic box. Someone else had a problem with it in the Bonneville discussion.

OTOH: it could be the programmer, a box that turns the vacuum on and off to each of the vacuum motors on the air handling box also under the dash.

• schmeagleschmeagle Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Davco, I had already removed the trim plate you wrote about. That plate is plastic and in my interior, it is a natural wood color. After I had removed the trim plate, I removed 3 bolts from what you call the main panel. I am still having problems removing the main panel which is black in my car and stretches the width of the face of the dashboard. It covers the radio and the heater control panel mounting bolts and does not cover the passenger air bag unit rather it goes around it. There are clips that fasten the top of this panel underneath the top of the dashboard and I am able to carefully pry those away from the dashboard. Unfortunately, it appears that there might be screws, bolts or clips behind the vents on the dashboard because when I attempt to pry away the main panel, it does not move away from the area around the vents. I might have to remove the vents but I don't want to break anything as I am not sure how to remove them or the panel. My heat is on permanently and the service manager at local Buick dealer said that I had to replace the heater control panel which is over $300 at the their cost. My father has a 2002 Lesabre and it has the exact same heater control panel as my '95, so there must be plenty of these control panels available at salvage yards.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    The tires on my 2004 Buick Lesabre are General Ameri*gs60 P215-70 R15.
    The dealer has a Hunter 9700 balancer on which the tires were balance twice.
    The vehicle has 6,800 miles on it.
    Are there any techinal Bulletins out on this problem and if so how can I obtain them. Thanx rjh4
  • bumpygreensbumpygreens Member Posts: 4
    Check the tie rods! My fronts both went out around 30,000 on my '02 Limited.
    Thanks for the help, imidazo197... As a quick check, I pounded on the carpeting in the area you mentioned and the HVAC buttons began working again. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is where the problem lies and then when there's time I'll pull up the carpet to hopefully fix this nagging problem for good. Again, my thanks.
    Glad I posted to try to help.

I was too lazy to take apart my LeSabre carpet there--my wife made me trade it before it became a problem I wanted to fix. 150K and still ran great, better than the 98 leSabre.

The moisture from getting in and out in cold climates and wet periods that's on your feet and drips on the carpet and spreads. And as you get in and out along moisture from rain in the open window and open door can keep that kind of moist. That's why the corrosion starts there.

There also is a connection in the left side next to the parking brake near the floor where grounds link up that someone else mentioned can cause troublesome connections.

I never though about just banging on the box in that area to force a better connection. Sledge hammer and duct tape can fix a lot of things!

Checked out the rectangular plastic box that is closer to the e-brake - connections look good; is this the box you mentioned - or is there another closer to the seat/door sill? The HVAC buttons are stuck once again... also where is the 'programmer' you mentioned? When the buttons do switch, I can hear a click from under the dash in the glove comp. area, and the air flow does change to where the buttons direct it... :cry:
  • keshkesh Member Posts: 4
    ok here is the kicker, :mad: some Bleep Bleep Bleep :mad: broke into my 1995 buick lesabre, broke up the collumn trying to steel it but was to lame to be able to do that, thank god for small favors since we don't have comprehensive insurance at this time. So here the deal car won't even start with the key now, and low on cash. :cry: I was told we can't fix it our selves cuz of the stupid driver side air bag. Now is this the truth or is it a case of big time chicken? also have to replace that back driver side rear door lil triagle window, cuz the stupidlow lifes weren't even acomplished at the slim jim for peet sake :sick: . any help would be apreciated. thanks... :(
    You didn't say if you get lights on the dash when the key is rotated... which would indicate a connection from the key cylinder parts to the switch lower on the column.

The airbag should be disconnected while working in the steering column, especially now that the internals have been damaged by the thief. And just think, if he'd been caught in most areas he wouldn't even be treated like a criminal and jailed. This is minor stuff. Just property damage...

The key cylinder activates the actual switch which is down near the floorboard on top of the steering column. If nothing happens when you rotate the key cylinder, they probably bent, broke, disconnected the small rod that goes from the cylinder down to the small box that is the actual contacts and switch.

You might look to see if you can identify that rod. It is possible you might be able to start the car by manipulating that rod up and down. Remember the key has to be in the switch and the wiring that reads the resistor chip in the key has to be intact in order for the security system to allow the starter to activate.

There is a procedure for disabling the airbag system. I do not know it. Perhaps Alcan in Ask a TEchnical Question
    94camryv6, "Got a Quick, Technical Question?" #1456, 27 May 2005 10:20 am
    can help.

The Haynes repair manual states "To disable the drivers side airbag, remove the airbag fuse from the instrument panel fuse block, remove the negative battery cable, and unplug the yellow Connector Position Assurance connector located at the base of the steering column...

...possiblity of getting closer to fixing the nagging problem with the HVAC control buttons on my '94... Now that it's slightly warmer here in SW PA, I've noticed the buttons working 75% of the time as opposed to 25% of the time when it's colder outside.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    I just cleaned the throttle body intake on my 2000 and what a difference. It had a slightly sticky throttle, you had to push it a little harder to get it off of idle. I had to take off the honeycomb thing to get the cleaner up into the TB. You would not believe what kind of crud came out. I picked up 2 miles per gallon and quicker starts. It also does not have such a high fast cold idle now. Wish I would have done that every year or so instead of waiting five.
  • lesabreguylesabreguy Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 1997 Buick LeSabre Limited with one set of keys and one FOB. Dealer gave me another set of keys and a spare FOB (same make/model as the original one). I read posting #2764 on how to reprogram the FOB's for the Buick, however when I insert the key into to ignition switch 3 times while holding the "unlock" button, I never get the 3 chimes upon releasing the unlock switch.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I've got a 98 and have a set of manuals. I'll check in them tomorrow. It's late for me tonight.

Maybe someone else has this on the tip of their fingers and can give you a quicker answer.

Thanks in advance for the help. ;^)

I have the owners manual for the '97, however it assumes that the "Panic" button works with the car, and shows you how to reprogram the door locks & trunk release. In my wanderings around this site and others, I noticed an occasional posting indicating that you needed to "short" a wire, is this the case for LeSabre's?
    If you have the 97 LeSabre service manuals from Helm it's on 8-821. Do the remotes work to lock and unlock the doors?

If no have you synchronized the remotes?

If so, The number 8 and number 4 terminals get jumpered with a link with a 20 amp fuse in it. The DLC block should have the numbers embossed at the ends of the rows.

Turn ignition off. Jumper. close alldoors. turn ignition on. the doors will lock. press and hold lock and unlock button on transmitter for 30 seconds and the doors will lock and unlock. Do not turn off ignition. repeated pressing the lock and unlock button for other transmitters and hold for 30 seconds for the lock unlock cycle to occur.

I assume turn off ignition. remove jumper. and go happily on your way.

Imidazol,

I only have the original owners manual that came with the vehicle.
    When I purchased the car last week, the dealer only had 1 set of keys and one FOB for it but promised to cut me another "chipped" ignition key and to give me another FOB. Dealer did give me another ignition key/trunk key that works fine, however the salesguy couldn't get the new FOB to reprogram. He gave me the FOB (unprogrammed)...

So, net result, I have two sets of keys that work fine, one FOB that works, and one FOB that doesn't work yet.

I'm a bit of a newbie with Buicks and programming FOB's in particular - Any additional help is appreciated, and is there is a link to the "Helms" manual, or
    do I need to purchase it somewhere?

Again,
    TIA.
    This is the service manuals, 3 volumes, about 5 inches thick total from helminc.com. I buy them each time I buy a new car. Probably $90 purchased from Helm.

I quoted the technique. The socket under the dash on driver's side the ADL. Check to see if the numbers 1, 9, 10, 18 are embossed, so you're sure that you have #4 and #8 correctly chosen. Otherwise the two "ears" are the top row with 1-9 and the left is #1. I believe mine were numbered. I think the ADL can be pulled down from the sound deadener panel.

Even though one fob has been programmed, they both have to be programmed in the same cycle as I outlined earlier.

• jimindy1jimindy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Lesabre Limited. It's a great car, but have been having strange problem lately. Door Locks stop working. They cannot be operated from remote or door switch. Also, as I am driving, the 'Trunk Lid' indicator displays trunk not locked and/or windshield wipers begin to operate when no rain is present. I understand there may be a 'reprogramming' issue. Please help. Thanks, jimmy
  • buickguybuickguy Member Posts: 3
    i am also having the same trouble with the dash, ill keep trying to figure it out but if you find anything out please tell me cause i cant listen to the radio any longer , thanks
    if anyone knows how to remove the dash that stretches all the way across, please reply thanks
    Y'all finally did it. You made me go get my books out about how to remove the dash. I'd done it but couldn't remember just how it went on my 93. I hope the 95 is like the 98 for which I have the service books.

The Lowest trim plates come off first. These are the bottom edge of the dash and they are split in two pieces by the steering column. They pry out - carefully. Then you remove the air deflectors (pry out carefully). These are the moveable air deflectors. There are four. There are screws inside where the four deflectors have been removed. Be careful not to drop the screws down the openings (duh)... Disengage the retaining clips at the top of the trim place This trim plate it the part that surrounds the heater control and the radio and speedometer and glove box or passenger airbag.

Having to go look at this ties my stomach in knots remembering having taken this apart on my 93 and I can't remember what I was after when I took it off.

hey thanks alot i took it off no problem, i wouldent of thought the screws were behind the vents, thanks so much now me and my dad can finish
    Good. I always hate digging into the dashes. My next project is taking out the glovebox on 98 and getting into heater control programmer location to see if I can get it out and fix it... Makes goosebumps...

untwisted the ABS electrical connector,re-connected, and now the dashboard ABS light will not go off... the owners manual says to shut off the engine & restart, that didn't work either... HELP!!!
  • carrielsy19carrielsy19 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I have a 96 Lesabre which I am having problems with the battery dying on me. I have had the starter replaced and the battery has been replaced 3 times now. My mechanic found a short with some wiring under the dash and by passed my dome lights, power windows and locks so they only come on while the ignition is on.
    My car will start no problem with a boost. But the battery keeps going completely dead it does not matter whether or not I drive short distances or long distances. I do not know where to go from here my mechanic cannot find anything wrong I suggested that there is a problem with the starter but he does not seem to think so any suggestions? I am desperate here I even went and purchased a boost pack so that I would not need to call for a tow truck each time I cannot get my car started! Thanks in advance.
    Check the obvious, trunk light, glove box light, under hood light. After car is sitting check at night to see if light is on or open and touch bulb quickly to see if it's hot from having been on.

Try removing fuses and checking circuits for drain. Your mechanic should have done that...

Had a neighbor with 3800 in 98? Gran Prix. Kept draining battery in few hours after coming home from work. Random. New battery still had high drain to where it wouldn't start after 5-6 hours. Finally took neighbor's advice and had neighbor replace starter. AFter more than a year or so of problems, fixed. Neighbor is a barnyard mechanic type. His dad runs a lower price-bad credit used car lot. Knows a lot of what goes wrong.

Thanks for the advice! The mechanic did check all the fuses said they were good and he did route everything so the ignition needs to be on for anything to work! However!! The trunk light and the glove box light both come on without the car being on so I removed both lightbulbs, boosted my car, turned it on let it run for awhile then shut it off left if for a few mins and it started right away! So hopefully in the morning it will start with no problem!
    My neighbour has a Buick Regal and saw me climbing in my trunk I explained the sitution to him and he told me he had the same problems his friend told him he needed to put the plastic caps on the terminals of his battery and he has had no problems since do you know anything about that??
    If your mechanic just checked fuses and said they were "good" as a way to find if there's a continual drain on the battery, you need a new mechanic.

The proper way to check this is connect a meter between the battery and the cable that measures the amperage. Anything above a minimum that the computer is drawing indicates a drain somewhere. Then you start disconnecting fuses (there are fuses under the dash but there also is a main relay panel under the hood with high amp fuses for some circuits. When you disconnect a fuse and the drain is gone from the meter, then you've found the circuit which you have to troubleshoot.

Doing it without that metering capability is what we can try ourselves at home. Assuming your alternator is charging properly and the battery is good (no posts cracked internally), then you're looking for another problem.

I'm curious how he routed everything so that it has to go through the ignition switch. I don't see how that could be done.

What you need to do is narrow down how long the drain is taking to discharge the battery. A single bulb takes a long time and after a few hours the car will start but won't sound as strong when the battery is turning the engine. A starter relay draining the engine only takes a couple of hours to drain the battery dead.

• jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Looking for a car to drive cross-country (Boston - Vancouver) - decided on the LeSabre. Could not believe that you can get a new 2005 LeSabre (Custom Value Leader model) for around $ 21,000 with the GM employee discount promotion. Even the Limited model I saw (with a sticker of around 33K) can be had for around $ 26.5k. Now that is a lot of car for the $$. Cant even imaging driving the great American interstates in anything else! Just cant decide on color - was thinking of Glacier blue or Sagemist. Anyone out there have the color and like/dislike it?? Or I can just fall back on good ol Ming Blue (navy). I would imagine the Custom model would be the better value for resale purposes, but the Limited model I drove was terrific.
    Well I had a guy at work today suggest the same thing to me regarding the fuses so I stopped and picked up a meter.
    When I got home I tested the battery with the car running then turned it off well once I turned it off the voltage dropped immediately. I started off somewhere around 13.4 and dropped to 11.3 or somewhere around there.
  • cg22cg22 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem with my 95 Lesabre.....

Battery light started coming on, intermittently, about 3 weeks ago. Then it would come on steady and the car would die. Checked battery and it was dead. Replaced battery (with a fresh 12 hour charge) and alternator (3 times) and finally bought a LED guage at Radio Shack and mounted inside car to monitor the charing system. When charging system is working good the LED guage reads 14.5 v and when it drops below this, say 13.5, this tells me that the charging system is not outputting at all or not enough to keep a full charge on the battery.

For some unknown reason, the voltage drops to 11.5, telling me there's something wrong. The car will run fine for anywhere from one-five days with no problem and mysteriously the LED guage goes up and down and after about 15 minutes the all goes to normal.

I did find that the neg. batt. terminal had a stripped bold and and replaced it to ensure a solid connection.

I had turned on/off all accessories and disconected all circuits, one by one to trying to make it fail. I also moved and yanked on every wire under the hood, searching for an intermittent connection.

I did smell buring rubber inside the car about 2 weeks ago and then it went away. Seemed to be coming from the dash or firewall (passerger side).

It sound to me that we are both experiencing the same problem. Perhaps the 2 of us can compare notes and resolve this one.

I really like this car and do not want to part with it.

cg........
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Buy the Limited. A Limited has more standard equipment on it than does a base Park Avenue and make sure it has the Gran Touring Suspension. This makes all the difference in the world. The car still rides smoothly but handles much better than the car without GTS.