Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• dandbhood1dandbhood1 Member Posts: 8
    We have a 2000 Buick Limited and had the same problem with the engine quitting. It restarted and we haven't had a problem since. But it is worrisome knowing that it could happen again...without warning. Thanks for the info. We will let our dealer know what worked for you.
    We are having a problem with a wind noise howling sound that occurs at between 50 and 70 MPH. It is the kind of sound that you can make by blowing across a soda pop bottle. It is intermittent but annoying. Anyone else having this problem?
  • ccnewm1ccnewm1 Member Posts: 1
    We, too, have experienced the howling sound that occurs at higher speeds on the highway. Our 2000 LaSabre has the Gran Touring Package as an option. Since this howling sound is only heard on certain highways, we conclude it is tire noise.
    I am fairly certain that the noise we hear is from air blowing onto or across something that creates the sound. Sometimes a gust of strong wind coming from the side will make it howl for a second or two. Sometimes it will increase strongly in pitch and then suddenly stop. I wrote Buick at www.buick.com but because of the holiday weekend haven't heard from them. When I do I will post their answer. I hope that they can help.
  • bthompbthomp Member Posts: 69
    I have driven several cars that have windshield wiper resonance. At certain windspeeds and angles it creates a kudzoo effect. It can be that or a door seal that is experiencing a similar resonance.
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    kudzu - a noiseless, fast growing, large-leaf plant imported from Asia that grows several feet tall, mainly in the American southeast

kazoo - a small musical toy :)
    Ya got me duraflex. The Southeastern USA has too much kudzu as well. Wasn't there a cartoon as well...or was that kazoo? In any event, windshield wiper or wind seal could be the cause of the howl.
    What an accurate discription.Kazoo sound. Thats it. The response I got from Buick was, "See your dealer" Apparently they don't know the answer or they haven't heard of the problem or it is easier to shift the problem to someone else. I guess I'll see what the dealer has to say when I take it in for the 3000 mile service. Thanks for the help....and the humor.
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    I test drove a 2000 LeSabre on Saturday. It too had the kazoo sound at higher speeds. It also seemed to have more WIND NOISE all around than I would have expected - more than my similar 2000 Impala. Don't know why.

ROAD NOISE, however, was minimal - much less than my car.

The LeSabre had the GT package with 16 inch wheels. It felt big and heavy and very substantial but well-powered and responsive.

Although it drove great and rode like a dream, I was a very disappointed with visibility - especially the big reflections from the defroster vents in the windshield. If they were set closer to the glass, they would fall lower in the field of view.

99s and earlier LeSabres had bigger glass and much better visibility but I never cared for those front ventaplanes.
  • mcgowan1mcgowan1 Member Posts: 16
    We owned a Le Sabre Limited until early this year, and traded it--after much research,test drives, and so on--on a 2000 Avalon XLS.
    Not that the Buick we had, nor the 2000 model weren't good cars tho.
    We thought the 2K model was much improved over our 96, and aside from one major fix (Warranty service on leaking head gaskets), our trade in gave us good results.
    In short, we felt that the Avalon deserved the edge, and chose it over the Buick.
    They are very close in price--optioned up to the max--and the Avalon is referred to by many as Toyota's answer to the LeSabre.
    However, what convinced us was the fact that the AV seems to have more bang for the buck, in terms of quality, comfort, and little things like storage, cup holders, etc.The car is a pleasure to drive (And our Buick was as well),but the AV is far quieter--I've never been in one as quiet!
    The one item which really convinced us was the Toyota reputation for reliability, and its positive effect on trade in value. Everything we saw pointed to this as being a decided strength for the AV.
    Hope we haven't angered any Buick fans, but we thought maybe an alternative opinion might be of interest.
    Went to pick up our daughter at the Orlando International Airport and started to get the dreaded "Kazoo". So I ran ran the windshield wipers to see if there was any change at all. It seemed to change pitch in rhythm with the speed of the wipers.
    We also looked at the Avalon before we bought the Le Sabre Lmt. I agree that the Avalon is quieter and shifts smoother than the Buick. BUT there was about a $5000 price difference. (We are in Central Florida near Ocala) We did get the retired GM employees discount on the Buick. And didn't feel the price difference warranted the Avalon
  • ehr1964ehr1964 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I would post my review of the 2000 Lesabre now that I have had it for 1 year.

First a bit of background:
    Age 35, married, 3 kiddos. Traded in a 1994 Toyota Camry for the Lesabre. I wanted something bigger and more comfortable for my 54 mile round trip commute into Atlanta from the N.E. suburbs. Before buying the big buick, I drove an Avalon, V6 Camry, VW Passat, Volvo S-70 and new 1999 Lesabres that were being heavily discounted. My wife drives a 1998 Plymouth Voyager. The van is used for all vacations and highway driving since we need the room for 3 kids with one car seat.

Selected the 2000 Lesabre because it seemed to do everything right - nice styling, handling and ride, acceleration, safety, and price. It is simply a lot of sled for the bread compared to the competition. Mine is the Custom (lower line) with a cloth interior and 15" standard tires. Not that it matters, but it is light bronzemist in color with tan interior. The only goodies it has is the driver information center package and CD player. The option codes were 1SD for $1593 and UPO for $350. Anyway the sticker price was about 25,448. I figure it cost me about 23,300 or about the invoice price after putting a realistic number on what the trade was worth. Of course the dealer gets the 3% holdback.

Now the car has about 16,000 miles. It has been a real pleasure to drive. Its only been on one real road trip which was a 600 mile round trip from Atlanta to Jekyl Island. The rest of the miles are all stop and go rush hour and around town.

The car has had 2 minor issues.

A highway vibration developed at about 13,000 miles and the tires were showing a lot of wear on the edges. I had them rotated every 4000 miles since new. Had a local tire place align the car and balance and rotate the tires. The problem persisted. The tire store told me the original General tires are poor quality.

I took the car to the dealer where I bought it. After having the car for a day, they decided it needed a new front axle because somehow mine was not turning true at highway speeds. They ordered the part and installed it the next week.

After getting the car back it still vibrated. In addition, the power steering started to shudder and groan at low speeds in the parking garage. After some begging the dealer sprung for 2 General tires. Dealer also ordered a redesigned power steering hose under a TSB campaign covering the steering noise.

Vibration got worse but steering noise was cured. Took the car in again for the vibration and they put Michelin tires all the way around it. That was the culprit. The car rides great again.

In summary, its a realy nice car that had bad tires. The power steering hose was no big deal. The dealer did right by me although it took too long to resolve Yes, I'd buy another Lesabre if I could do it again.
  • rhraaschrhraasch Member Posts: 9
    I recently bought a 2000 Buick LeSabe Custom and I've been having problems in getting the rear seat to lift up to access the battery compartment. I've followed the instructions in the owner's manual plus I had the Buick service rep try to get to the battery compartment with no success. There is nothing wrong with the battery; I would just like to know how to access it, for future use. Any suggestions?
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
    Though I have had my LeSabre about 6 months I also really love the car. Mine is also a Custom but I have the Prestigue Pkg, high zoot CD/Cassette and leather. It also has 16 inch alloy wheels and General Tires. (Interesting that the tire warranty in the glove box is for Firestones???). Don't know what you are getting for mileage but we are getting 22 rural/city and 31 on a highway trip (running 75-legal on Oklahoma Turnpikes). I've never had leather before and the thing just smells luxurious. This is a big step up from a Mazda 626. I have not had a single problem with 4500miles on it now.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Several years ago I bought a new Taurus which came with General Tires. I had to replace these tires at 40,000 miles, excessive wear and vibration were a problem. General tires must be the worst tires on the market. What is GM thinking putting bad tires on a $25,000 plus automobile.
    Usually original equipment tires are low bidder tires supplied in large quantaties for the factory. I've already been searching for replacement tires so I can be ready when the time comes. I usually go with High Performance All Weather types. Right now Bridgestone RE 930's look pretty good and the price is reasonable. I use to love Michlin but their price has gone up scale way to far and I hear they don't handle like they use to. The Generals aren't long for this world although I have not had a problem with them.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Macarthur2, I replaced the Generals on my Taurus with Uniroyal Tiger Paws, Michelin purchased Uniroyal several years ago and I believe Michelin technology has been built into Uniroyal. You might want to take a look, my Tiger Paws were $78 versus 110 for Michelin. The Tiger Paws were superior to the Generals. You have not had a problem with your Generals yet because of your low mileage, believe me you will have a problem before you hit 20,000 miles. The combination of poor quality tires and front wheel drive will grind those puppies down quickly.
  • kensrkensr Member Posts: 5
    About getting the seat up for battery check. Are you pulling straight up on each corner of the rear seat? I checked mine today and it really took a jerk to get the seat to come up as I was told some time ago by the dealer.

After reading the comments about tires, it has re-confirmed my feelings that the Firestone tires alone were worth the cost of the GTP. I now have over 10,000 miles & have had no tire problems and am getting good wear (est. 70,000 miles).

My first experience with Generals was on a '74 Olds Cutlass Wagon. I junked the tires with over 2/3 their tread for they would not stay balanced more than a few hundred miles. I replaced them with Michelins and never re-balanced nor had trouble even though I often pulled a 21' camper. My next Generals was on an '82 Buick Century and I went through the same troubles until I got rid of them at @ 10,000 miles. One bad case, shame on me - twice, shame on you! As a result of my troubles and that of others I have talked to made me vow that I would never buy another car with Generals. So far I have been able to stick with that as all the new cars since have had Good Year Eagles until I bought the Buick with Firestones.

Too bad General have not been able to get their act together.
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    my parents will be in the market for a new car very soon. they've owned a 97 buick lesabre limited and are very happy. they are ages 70 and 69 respectively and take 'drives' and day trips as thier hobby. my father is always looking for the best 'deal' so i threw the 2000 impala out as perhaps an alternative automobile... not the ls but a base sedan loaded to the gills... since they insist on a split bench seat not avail. on the LS. the impala looks to be 3000 or so cheaper than the lesabre. but, is it a bonafide alternative?
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Yes, the Impala is one of the best cars to come from GM in a very long time. I own a brand new 2000 Impala LS with the 3800 Series II V-6. The car is simply out of this world! Price, safety, content, quality, engineering...a bang for the buck! Trust me after 12 years of driving Honda Accords and Acuras, feel the Impala drives and handles much better than any of those cars and has the performance (200 HP/225lbs of torque 0-60 7.5 secs) and gas mileage to boot (21/29)on plain 87 regular gas!. I could go on and on ravving about this great automobile.

For your parents, I would suggest the "Base" Impala with the 3800 V-6 and equipment option package 1SB. Since the 6-seat capacity and the bench seat is a must, the Base/1SB/3.8L engine package is the best combo they can get for the money. The car is priced some $4,000 below a "custom" LeSabre and get the same powertrain and close to the same amenities!.

If you have any questions, come over to the "Impala VI" topic here in Edmunds....and see for yourself.

However, have them test drive the LeSabre/Impala to see which one they like better.

Good luck
    RU sure you don't sell these cars? They aren't selling themselves.
    No I don't sell them. I don't like car salesman.

Well they are selling to the tune of 15,000 units per month so I don't think they need much propaganda.

CIAo
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Member Posts: 38
    I just took delivery of a new 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited about two weeks ago. I ordered it with the Gran Touring Package, Prestige Package and Leather Seating Areas. It is Silver on the outside with a Grey Leather interior.

I was very surprised to find out that the OnStar System is now standard on the Limited. That was a nice bonus, since my salesperson also did not know this until the car was delivered.

I have driven about 500 miles so far in mostly highway driving and have averaged about 28 mpg on regular fuel.

I love the Rainsense wiper's and the steering wheel controls for the radio and the HVAC system.
    I had also considered a Chrysler Concorde LXI but it did not even come close to the features in the Buick.

If you are like me and don't buy foreign vehicles, this is the most bang for your buck in a US built sedan for around $30,000. I would not hesitate one second to recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking to purchase a new family sedan.

By the way, I am 44 year's old, married and I have two children ages 6 and 10. They happen to like the convience of their own cup holder's in the back seat. My wife also appreciates the passenger temperature control on her side of the front seat.
  • rwilcoxrwilcox Member Posts: 9
    On a recent trip after 4hrs.I begin hearing an intermittent noise that sounds like a a brief "burst" on a toy bicycle horn. It seems to be coming from the area of the passenger door towards the rear door. On the return trip I did not hear it until after I had been on the road for 2 hrs. Then it became more frequent then it had been before; approx. 5-6 times each 1/2 hr. Has anyone else experienced this with their 2000 LeSabre?
  • rar555rar555 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited and we too have experienced the intermittent kazoo noise from the front passenger side that others have mentioned. We also experienced this noise on two other LeSabres that we test-drove. It appears to only occur when the outside temperature is above 90 degrees F? Pushing buttons on the cooling system doesn't affect it. The dealership told us that they had 3 others that make the same sound and they believe that they need to replace the windshield to stop it. Why hasn't GM figured out this problem yet and called their customers???
    Has Buick authorized the replacement of any windshields in an attempt to eliminate this annoying sound? Has it been successful? My dealer says he has referred this problem to GM Technical Service, but has not received a response.
    as GM people get older they tend to migrate down to Florida or Arizona and up to a Buick or Cadillac. Not that the Impala isn't a nice car but for some reason it is classified as a mid size while the LeSabre is full sized. A friend who worked the Gm assembly line told me that Buick always got more fastener, clips and things like that to prevent rattles. He said they also got a lot more insulation than the Chevy. On sheer mature looks my vote goes to the LeSaber over the grinnin grille chevy. Just got back from a road trip, my 2000 LeSabre got 32mpg going and 31.2 coming back - running 75 on Oklahoma turnpikes. Very nice handling secure feeling car. Can't help but love it!
  • buickman2buickman2 Member Posts: 6
    When you make the decision to order the Touring Suspension remember you will not get the better gas milage that the standard transmission will give you.
    I have replaced THREE alternators in less than six years, is this average ?

A great car overall, would and will plan to buy another.
    Wish they would come up with some brighter colors.
    Your Buick goes 0-60 in 7.5seconds AND gets 31-32mpg? You have a turbo in that bad boy? What are your pasing times say 50-80mph?
    The 0-60 time came from Popular Mechanics road test. But the mileage comes directly from the computerised instruments in my car. Of course all people equiped with a head know that if you keep doing that 0-60 time at every opportunity your gas mileage will reflect that. I'm a conservative driver but I don't dwadle getting up to highway speeds. I just keep my speed constant on the highway. All these folks who jockey up and down on the gas and punch the throttle every time they get a chance pay for it at the gas pumps and in wear and tear on the driveline. A conservative driver can get exellent mileage on almost any new car today. The power is there if you need it but you don't need to keep your foot in it. My LeSabre has never gotten less than 30.2mpg on a trip (at 70-75mph)
    Passing time 50 to 75 (as fast as I will drive) is pretty darn good. The 3800 V6 is no slouch, it is as quick as the Ford Crown Vic V8- and way more economical. And no this car does not have a supercharger--a conservative driver doesn't need it, nor the price of premium fuel which comes with it.
    Are there any follow up information regarding the noise problem discussed in message numbers 177 and 178?
    LOL..Macarther2 you sound so conservative all around. Yep everyone knows about the pulsing accelerator penalty. It drives me crazy when I ride with someone who drives like that:-). The 3800 series is great, and very tried and true...but just don't put it in a 4000lb car and expect it to move as quick. There is a reason the V-8 is standard in the CV. What does the LS weigh in at? Apples and oranges. I usually don't get my numbers from Pop Mech. What model was tested? I understand that there is a touring option with the LS. Which model do you have?
    These are built on two different platforms. The Impala uses the 'W' platform (Shared with the Regal, Century, Grand Prix, Lumina and Intrigue) and the LeSabre is based on the 'H' platform shared with the Pontiac Bonneville. 'W' is midsize and 'H' is a full size chassis.

I like the LeSabre as it has many good things going for it, included the excellent crash ratings. But I preferred the Impala LS as it came with the same 3800 Series II engine, same 5 star crash test scores for about $4,000 less than the LeSabre. Visibility in the Impala is better than the LeSabre. I didn't like the "Tunnel" effect of the LeSabre from the driver's seat. Also didn't like some interior details such as the lack of a rear seat headrest and fold away armrest (Impala has them). Didn't like the design of the fold down console and cupholders. Not a biggie but nothing to brag about the LeSabre either for the kind of money being asked. The Impala is more youthful (I am 29 so the LeSabre "senior" image didn't appeal to me that much).

Overall both of these cars are excellent choices and can't go wrong with either one. By the way the fit and finish and built quality of my Impala LS is a cut above for anything that Chevy has produced in the last 20 years. Kudos GM!.
    The LeSabre weighs in at 3567 lbs according to consumer guide. The Crown Victoria at 3917 lbs. I guess you chose to misunderstand. I use the power when needed like getting on the interstate or passing. I just don't find it necessary to do 0-45 in 2.5 seconds at every intersection as some do. The model tested was a LeSabre Limited w/o supercharger. Mine is a LeSabre Custom with Prestigue Pkg, leather, AM/FM/CD 16 inch alloy wheels W/o gran touring package. The 2000 LeSabre has a firmer ride than the old kinda wallowy ones did--you may not need gran touring pkg. By the way all 2000 LeSabres come with standard self leveling suspension in the rear. In the CV it is part of a $700 option pkg. Am I conservative? Let's see, active Christian, pro life, pro-gun, Republican---I guess you might say that huh? And oh yeah this is my first LeSabre, we compared it three different times with a Mercury Grand Marquis and it was a close contest. Both are very nice cars with about even performance (Buick v6 has a tiny bit more hp and the Merc has more torque) The weight penalty the Merc carries makes these cars very close. We just thought the Buick was nicer--kinda a personal choice thing.
  • revae1revae1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Buick LeSabre 2000 Limited August, 1999. From day one I have had excessive wind noise, especially from the front of passenger door. I have been advised it is the wind rushing over the car and air going around side mirrors. The noise sounds as if there is a hole and the air is rushing through it - Very annoying! I thought this car would be quiet - IT IS NOT!

I have had it in to the dealer 7 times. They have readjusted the doors, checked and fixed seals, and per a technical bulletin from GM, "plugged up some areas." Don't ask me where; the noise is worse.

Within the first two months I had a rain leak in the overhead over the driver's side. Again, to the dealer for repair.

Area Rep from GM has suggested replacing the whole rubber seal around front windshield. He states may have to replace the windshield.

This car has been "tweeked" so many times, in my estimation it is no longer new. Should I resign myself to live with the wind noise? What about your wind noise problems? Did you resolve?

Big disappointment in my purchase, although the car does ride nice. I have had Japanese cars for the past 35 years. Never a problem.
  • nwalkernwalker Member Posts: 17
    NEW CAR SALES FIGURES: Can anyone out there refer me to a convenient source, preferably on the internet, which lists total unit sales figures, by make and model, for new automobiles produced in the United States?
    Ahhh I see. My CV weighs 4125lbs. It is rated at 215hp and 285ft/lbs @3000rpm. It includes self leveling suspension. I use 87octane in the winter but bump it up to 89 for towing my trailer. Just averaged 24mpg on a 80+ mph cruise from Charleston to DC with the AC on all the time. How does the LS level itself out? Does it use air springs or air shocks/struts? Are the 2000LS the only ones with the wind noise problem?
  • tomshivelytomshively Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there bought a new LeSabre recently? What is the going rate for straight non-trade purchase? Are your dealers willing to take $100 over actual invoice to move the inventory. Out here they are looking for $300-600 since GM dealers out west are few and far between. Also, how about rebates and incentives. Despite what Edmunds says that there are no such things on Buicks, GM says there are
    You can check back with respose #155 and after to read more discussion on the dreaded Kazoo sound. I wrote before that it seemed to be related to the windshield wipers but subsequent experiments tend to make me believe that I was wrong. It does seem to come from the windshield area. The seal around the windshield is very loose and flexible, could that be part of the problem? Allowing wind to get underneath it and cause the problem? I hope that a solution can be found before we leave on a planned road trip in August.
    Other than that we really like our 2000 Buick Limited. We bought it in Feb. 2000 and didn't get the On star package. Bummer.
    Also, we check our fuel economy by actual mileage and gas pumped at the station and always come out about 2 miles per gallon less than what is stated on the autos Fuel Average read out. Always....
  • judysgajudysga Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a new 2000 LeSabre Limited, loaded with every option except the moonroof and 12 disc CD-changer, on July 3. The MSRP was $31,015. Cars Direct offered it at $27,422 after the $1000.00 rebate. A Dealer in Atlanta, GA. beat this price by $5.00.

I am realizing it was not such a great deal, as the car I bought has a lot of wind noise, as mentioned by several others. Last Thursday, my local Buick dealer adjusted the doors and stated there was nothing else they can do. After a lot of pestering, the service manager took a ride with me today. He stated there is wind turbulence coming in the rear windows and around the left passenger mirror. I am supposed to take the car back next Tuesday for their "leaks & seals" specialist to fix. In the interim,I wrote to Buick (via their web site). Today I received the 1-800 number of their Customer Assistance Center. They indicate they will follow up with the dealer in Atlanta if I call the number and provide all of the details.

Has anyone tried to get the front license plate mounting package or locking gas cap for the 2000 LeSabre? Although the front license plate mounting package is listed as a free option, the Buick dealers are now telling me there is not one for the 2000 LeSabre. They say the tag is to be mounted directly to the front bumper with self-tapping screws! Who in their right mind would want to break the paint on a brand new $31,000 automobile by screwing screws directly into the bumper?!?
  • sledgehammer2sledgehammer2 Member Posts: 1
    i just took delivery of my 2000 lesebre limited
    may 18, 2000 and just took a road trip of 2500 miles and had the suprise of the kazoo wind noise
    it seems to me that it only happens above 50 mph
    and only when the outside wind is at a certian
    angle to the car. please tell me if anyone has
    been able to get this fixed. otherwise i really
    like the car.
    I have had my LeSabre for six months and 5,500 miles and it has never had any kazzo sound. Now I live in OKC and I know crosswinds and I have never had the problem. I drive 75 on the turnpikes (legal limit) and have never had this problem. Maybe somewhere in production Buick changed the style, or manufacturer, of the wiper blades.
    On two longish trips the car has averaged just a squeak over 31 mpg. I test drove this car against some fine competition in the Mercury Gran Marquis. But have never regreted my decision to go with the LeSabre.
    One thing I have noticed is that the tire warranty is Firestone but the tires are Generals. I have the 16 inch wheels w/o gran touring suspension.
  • tsw019tsw019 Member Posts: 13
    I also just purchased a 2000 Lesabre Limited and getting the same noise referenced at 60-65 MPH. Has anyone gotten a competent answer from Buick??
    My last two cars were Toyota's and this is not a pleasant welcome back to GM. Let's hope we all do not regret our purchases.
  • marvdmarvd Member Posts: 1
    I must be one of the lucky ones, I have a new 2000 LeSabre Limited and had the dreeded wind noise. I called Buick direct and needless to say they knew nothing about it and I should see my Buick dealer. Well I did, and I was lucky to find their trim man there that day and he exactly what to do. All he did was loosen the windshield and re seal all around it. I just came back from a 2500 mile trip and had no problem with "Kazoo" noise.
    I'm sure a lot of people are going to appreciate your telling them the fix. Mine never did it but apparently it happens on some cars. Hats off to you and the trim man.
  • b_mailb_mail Member Posts: 4
    well gentlemen, I've been reading this topic for sometime now because I was preparing to purchase A new buick lesabre. I thought that I would be one of the ones who would not get a car with the "DREADED KAZOO NOISE", wrong. After purchasing the car 6/28/00, everything seemed great, I really love the way the car drives and handles. On a 400 mile trip to visit my children I discovered that at 75MPH the noise developed.
    It comes and goes. On 90 deg. days and above it acts up, on cooler days(early mornings) I've had the car up to 125MPH (this car will fly and still had power to go)there was no noise. Go figure! Thanks to "marvd" I have something to take to the dealer. With this percentage of problems, you would think a service bulletin would be sent out.
    Thanks for all the information all you fellows have posted. I will report back soon. By the way "marvd" , where did you take your car, I may be close enough to take it there?
  • neilm2neilm2 Member Posts: 2
    I've read through most of the postings... (Seems like much are placed by Infiniti salesmen!) When comparing the LeSabre with the Ford CV, or Merc GM, (which are both excellent vehicles, which my family has owned), the cars are quite different. (Regardless of being marketed together.)

The Ford and Merc are able to give you excellent size and strength (a mini Town Car) for a great value. Plus, who can say 'no' to a V-8, even if the 3.8 is just as fast! However, its greatest drawback is the RWD, which, even with traction control, is no match for the front drive LeSabre. (We have two '95 Chevy LT-1 Caprices,(As well as a 96 Chevy SS) which also were marketed as competing vehicles, but are totally different in every way. I love the size, strentgh and power of the Chevies, but they are wide, and, like any very powerful RWD car, without traction control, are a nightmare in anything more than mist!)

Our '97 LeSabre, by far, it is the cheapest vehicle we have ever had maintain. Like most GM cars, serivice is minimal, and cheap. The tires seem to last forever, (my experience has been 50K on previous FWD GM's), the 3.8 is like an anvil, has no timing belts (Like almost all GM's), which most of the imports, and Chrysler's have, has super long life anti-freeze (unlike the Fords and most imports), plugs are good for 100K, no scheduled tranny service, (though I will at 50K), the brakes, even in the harsh city life this car lives, also seem to last forever.

Try that is most other cars, especially the imports. (Although the 3.8 is old fashion, anyone can fix it, it can be abused, and not having a timing belt is a real plus for those few who actually own their cars for the long run.) The only servicing this car has had, besides 3K synthetic oil changes by me, has been a fuel filter and drive belt at 30K. The build quality was the best of any car.

Drawbacks are a small guage cluster, (it has the full guages,) and a wimpy suspension, despite the grand touring. Also, on a car like this, I wish it would have what even the cheapest Chevy Cavilier has -- pass-thru trunk, and map pockets. (The car has NONE!) The traction control, which is overpriced on other cars, was a bargain.

Also, unlike the imports, the car can be heavily discounted, and has various rebates and incentives, (+ AARP discounts) at times.

As compared, my Chevy's go thru belts, brakes, and tires at a much faster rate, (the car is a tank, though), and there is much more to service, such as rear-end differential, and repacking bearings in the front.

Soon to be ordered will be an 2001 LeSabre, with all the "good stuff" (traction, touring susp, stabili-trak) for my dad. Although I wish him to stick to the rear-drive sedans,(like the CV or GM) he's alway's owned, (He has one of the Chevy's), the RWD has now turned him off. The control in the bad weather of the Buick is night and day compared to the Chevy.

As for long term life of the big sedans from Ford and GM, my family still has an '83 Olds 88 (Dad's former, former, car!) no engine work ever, never burned a drop of oil!) his former 88 Merc GM (original everthing, no problems ever, except for the A/C which stopped last year), and mom's 88 Pontiac Bonny (NEVER a problem, everything works, car looks like new, even though it was never pampered.) (As a confession, the current LeSabre is hers).

As an added benefit, these American Sedans are very cheap to insure.

If any Q's about any of these cars, or maintenance, let me know. As a disclaimer, I have been a high school auto and driver ed teacher for 15 years, and a true motor-head and car nut. I truly beleive in sticking with American designed, and American owned car companies, and furhter believe that we do not operate on a level playng fieled in this country as compared with American companies trying to sell abroad, especially in Japan. Overall, many American have an inferiority complex, knocking our cars, even though many have never even been in one, lest drive and own one!
  • bricklayertxbricklayertx Member Posts: 20
    The car is 2.5 weeks old and was driven 500 miles this last weekend. The 'sound' kicks in above 65 and gets progressively louder and more constant as you go faster (80). Spoke to dealer service and they are aware of problem and use an outside windshield service to reseal the trim around the windshield. Said to expect about an hour. GM has not issued any 'correction'.
    By the way, the salesman that sold me the car was also aware of the problem and knew of the 'fix'.

On my car, the sound is at the driver side post---you can feel the vibration point at the edge of the windshield.
  • rpetzinrpetzin Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Buick LeSabre Limited one week ago and already have 900 miles on it. I drive 110 miles back and forth to work. Am very pleased with the car, but apparently have the dreaded torque steer. The car pulls to the left at high speeds and when accelerating from a dead stop. I called the dealer and he said wait until there are 2,000+ miles on the car, saying that sometimes these things work themselves out. Any ideas?
    I have a 2000 LeSabre and although I usually am gentle on things mechanical I do boot it from a stop sign or to pass and have never noticed the torque steer you mentioned. Could be a tire problem, try rotating them--or have the dealer do it under warranty. Once in a while a tire comes out out of round.