Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• vtech83vtech83 Member Posts: 66
    Thanks for your glowing review of Buicks past. I suggest you spend some time in a 2000+ LeSabre or Regal GS before you start slamming the road manners anymore. I'm not expecting my LeSabre to keep up with a BMW 5-series through a twisting road but I also know that the Gran Touring suspension has alot more bite than you are giving it credit for.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just don't agree with yours.
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    Can only sympathise with you...and you are right...it's for everyone to decide himself. I have only to say that my personal experience differs from yours by a mile...

I will not slam you though as I hold my opinion that these forums are more specifically to discuss problems and issues and you are welcome and requested to continue participation.
  • 9899olds9899olds Member Posts: 202
    vtech83:::::as stated it is real life experience and never did I compare the Buicks to a Bimmer..We are talking only about a suspension system working to hold the tire steady against the road. If your car is used 95% high speed interstate, my friend, you will find out..The quick trip down to the corner store or across town doesn't prove a thing..

jimsxn:::::as stated, it's for your info only and I certainly wasn't slamming Buick but after 250k miles of swift travel in those cars the tire problem was a major concern..My son-in-law has a 96 Riv which suffers the rear tire cupping scenario as explained..Both of my Intrigues, 98 and the 99 for a total to date of 73k miles have never gave any indication of cupping or flat spotting..The normal cruise speed is 75/85 to top end..At 47k on the 99 3.5 Intrigue the tires are getting thin; but they are still perfect, absolutely no irregular wear pattern-same balance as new and same alignment..Worst rutty roads in the USA are in Mich but the stiff suspension of the Intrigue is a blessing..Before I bought the 98 Intrigue, I drove a 98 Regal GS and within two blocks the old rocking chair motion was there..

The suspensions are totally different..
    For what it's worth my commuting habits cover a range of driving conditions on a daily basis. Also for what its worth, I spent a couple of years in a 91 LeSabre and never once encountered any of your rear tire cupping or flat spotting problems. The car had 150,000 on it when I finally sold it and never once had a tire or suspension problem.

The new G-bodies from GM are probably the best chassis they make outside the Vette. The new LeSabres are noticibly tighter with a much stiffer suspension than before. Add the Gran Touring setup and you've got a car that cruises like a dream on the highway and handles like a dream when you need to toss it around.

Enjoy your Olds. Hang on to it or you might be buying a Buick Aurora one day.
    If you drove a 91 LeSabre w/o any suspension problems, tire problems or any strut replacement; then truly we are reading from different pages of the book..

Our driving habits are totally different for I don't nurse a car..

Maybe they have changed the Touring pkg since my test drive of a new 98 Regal GS which was about 10 minutes after I drove a GTP Pontiac..

Each GM division concocts their own suspension setup and shared body shells really doesn't reflect the final handling or ride outcome..
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
    You need to visit the local Buick dealer and drive the new LeSabre. Unless you just want to keep comparing bananas to oranges---there is that much difference. Mine cruises nicely at 75mph and gets 31mpg to boot--and no tire problem. No bottoming and no sway or nose dive. And mine has the 16" tires and does not have the Gran Touring Suspension.
    As for the Pontiac--excuse me--no, don't bother, it is not a pretty sight to behold. But I can see you buying one if you want handling and don't mind a kidney transplant in the future--they offer three differnt suspensions. But driving a Buick like a sports car or driving hard and pushing it into turns, etc is just not usually the reason folks buy Buicks to start with.
  • gmlover1gmlover1 Member Posts: 60
    I agree with the above post if someone is looking for a sports car a lasabre is not the right choice . But if your looking for a car that large enough for four people and cruses efortlesly at any reasonable speed and gets 30 + m.p.g it,s worth a test drive.
    Nobody said anything about a sports car handling and anything close to that higher plateau..Buick does not change and problems develop after the 20k mark..The LeSabre line used to get the low-life General Tire which was totally worthless..

Enjoy the floaty ride..A Bonneville is no sports car but does exhibit some of the finer points of sedan driveability..
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    My 2000 Bonneville SE is an awesome car. It demonstrates none of the 'floatiness' yet is not harsh riding either - a great ride. Now the suspension on SLE and SSEi certainly is tauter and the supercharger will give you thrills till you pay at the pump for premium (unless fuel cost is no concern). I also get 28 - 32 mpg highway mileage at steady 75 mph depending on use of A/C and relative flatness of terrain.

Personally, I prefer the interior to that of the LeSabre since I wanted the buckets and console with floor shifter this time out after 2 Grand Marquis. Some prefer the bench - SE has it available.

The styling of the upper classmen SLE and SSEi is more controversial than the SE which carries a nice chrome strip down the side rather than plastic body cladding, and the SE front is less confrontational too.

Price is very attractive - new list is $26K for mine - no leather or SR. I bought mine in Jan this year - preowned with 18K miles for $16K - and am totally thrilled with the car.

Give it another look - it's a great car.

Ken
    macarthur2 (re:465):

Well stated! Could not have said it better myself! I had a 91 LeSabre once before that my brother sold to me for a song. It was getting a little floaty after 150,000 miles, but it still rode and handled well for a car of that size and weight and after 150,000, what do you expect! The new LeSabres are a totally different animal. Mine has the Gran Touring setup, but I had the dealer put on a set of chrome wheels from a Park Ave with Goodyear LS tires. Not the best set of rubber out there, but I didn't want Firestones on my new car. I drove the car before I had the new wheels/tires put on and there was a noticible difference between the Goodyears and the Firestones -- the handling was much better. As soon as the Goodyears wear out, I'll put on a set of Michelins. I have no doubt the handling will improve even more. Regardless of the improved handling, the car is a super highway cruiser. Great combination of ride and cornering.

tpken:

Whasssss up Bonneville cuz! Been out of the forum for awhile but I still lurk around from time to time. Heard you had a broken foot -- hope everything is going well. I actually saw a black 2001 SSEi today for the first time. I have to admit, I'm no great fan of the SSEi styling, but black is a color on that car I could live with. It was sharp. The LeSabre is going about its business without any problems. My daughter gets on my case because I clean it all the time. I guess we've all got our vices. Hope the SE is treating you well.

I have to admit that I get a kick out of hearing the cupholder complaints in the Bonnie forum. It doesn't look like the best setup out there, but really, when you think about it, who really does have a good cupholder design. Maybe C&D or R&T or Motor Trend should do a feature about cupholders! It seems like every review of a new car has something negative to say about cup holders. Mine work OK as long as you have the right size cup in it. You can also fit in a regular size coffee mug -- it has slots for the handle to fit in. Not a bad design, but it takes up alot of real estate. I've heard they redesigned the cup holders for 2002. I'll have to take a look sometime.

Later buddy.

- Mike
    I remember when the only cup holder you had was your knees.
    One of my favorite cup holders was putting the cup against the passenger seatback and pushing my briefcase against it. Worked pretty well for most beverages. Perfect for Big Gulps. Lousy for small cups of coffee. Of course, the ultimate cup holder is the front seat passanger!
    Yet, the knees are still to this day an all time classic!

- Mike
    Our Suburban has the best design I've seen. It's a pull-out drawer that opens for 2 sturdy holders that will accommodate most anything - and it's up high - easy to grab the mug without reaching around or looking for the handle at night. Back seat has two nice ones in the fold down armrest - similar to the Bonnie but also includes a tissue dispenser - good place to accumulate assorted Lego pieces!

Mike - The foot's doing better thanks - went to doc today - just have to go easy for a while - no hiking or water skiing this summer. Thanks for saying "Hi" - glad to hear your LeSabre is soldiering on. I've driven 14K miles on top of the original 18K the car had on it - Bonnie now has 32K and running great!

Ken
    Battery running down because of a light left on is a perennial problem.
  • lormarlormar Member Posts: 3
    My 70 something parents have always driven Ford Crown Vic's but need to downsize and economize.
    We are looking at '99 LaSabre. Anyone have any comments on this particular year? Reliability, repair histories, comfort for longer trips, short driver, etc. Thanks!
    If Mom and Pop like the size of the Crown Vic's interior space they will feel right at home in a 2000 LeSabre. The car is 14" shorter than a Crown Victoria and 4" narrower. Yet the interior space is within tenths of an inch in every measurement. Oh and you give up 2 cubic feet of trunk space--which on the Crown Vic is that big hole where the spare use to go. The Buick has nice flat usuable trunk space. Have them try one out. I don't imagine the 99 models interior is much different space wise. Fords old style chassis frame is a big space waster. So they would end up with a slightly smaller car with virtually the same interior room.
  • danc9danc9 Member Posts: 1
    My 1991 Buick LeSabre (with 52,000 miles) will not start in cold, wet conditions...like a wet snow/slush storm. This only happens at the first start of the day. If I've already started the car and bad weather heads in, the car will be fine. But if I have not started the car yet that day and the weather is bad...it won't start again until the air dries out. The car is fine at all other times except when it's cold and wet. I'm told this seems like a distributor problem but my baffled mechanic says that car is distributor-less. He has also sprayed the wires when the car is running and detects no breaks. What can I do??
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Does it not crank or not fire?

If it doesn't crank, or cranks slowly, then perhaps your battery connections are loose or corroded.

If it doesn't seem to 'fire up' so to speak then you have to determine if you have fuel and spark.

How do the plugs look? The wires could be fine, or appear fine, but still have poor connections. The plugs could be worn. If you are still on the original plugs at 51K, it wouldn't hurt to change them out.

Also, how is the connection to the coil pack? Both plug wires and the "computer connections"

Do you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn on the key. It should run for a few seconds to build fuel pressure until the engine starts. I know I can hear the pump on my 1987, it is really loud.

Other sensor connections such as the crank position sensor, cam position sensor. If these are not making a good contact the computer may not know when to send the spark.

Just a few basic thoughts.

TB
  • spindelspindel Member Posts: 8
    What kind of tires do you have and are they 15 or 16 inch. I am experiencing a vibration at highway speeds on my 2001 Lesabre limited. I have 15 inch General Tires with 17,000 miles on them. The car was aligned and tires rotated and balanced at 13,000 miles. It was good for about 200 to 300 miles after that, but the vibrations came back. Please respond.

Thanks
    Spindel
  • spindelspindel Member Posts: 8
    This is Spindel. I meant to say my 2000 Buick Lesabre Limited.

Spindel
    Took my LeSabre in for a 9000 mile check and the dealer gave me a 97 Park Avenue to drive. Just your "basic" Park Ave with the standard suspension, but the car did have Michelins on it. What a difference from the Goodyear Eagle LS! These things are quiet and grip the road like velcro. The suspension is soft and the car rolls much more than my LeSabre does, but when you hit a corner, the Michelins really hold the road. I would love to see what these would do for the LeSabre with the GT suspension.

- Mike
    This is a cosmetic issue here, but it is pretty annoying, considering that my car spends maybe an hour a day in the sun and is only seven months old. The rest of the time it spends in the parking garage at work and in my garage at home.

I noticed recently that the top of the rear bumper is starting to look like a small roller coaster. The thing is warped all along the top of the bumper. I showed it to my dealer who basically told me that "they all do that".

Wonderful.

A $33,000 car with a bumper so thin that it can't stand a few hours of sunlight a week. The dealer told me that the owner's car (also a LeSabre) does the same thing and he pointed out several other LeSabres that had the same problem.

I don't care "if they all do that". This is crap! It makes the car look like a cheap toy!

Has anyone else had this problem with their rear bumpers in 2000 or 2001 LeSabres. My old Corvette bumper did the same thing, but it took over 13 years and who knows how many thousands of hours in the sun for that to happen.

I hope the dealer has an answer for this. If I get one, I'll pass it along. Putting a new bumper on and painting it is not an option. The same thing will probably happen again.

- Mike
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    What is the effect of the GT suspension on the LeSabre ride? Does it offer a significant improvement and, if so, how?

Thanks.
    The GT suspension on the LeSabre adds 16" wheels and tires, a little stiffer suspension, and bigger front and rear stabilizer bars. Don't mistake this setup for a full blown sports suspension -- it isn't it. What it does do is make the LeSabre a much more confident handling car, especially on a twisty road or when making lane changes on the highway.

At the same time, I don't believe that ride quality has suffered at all. With the GT suspension, the LeSabre is still a smooth highway cruiser that soaks up bumps very well. It's a great combination.

Highly recommended. It should be standard on all LeSabres.

- Mike
  • mekeelwmekeelw Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 LeSabre with 17k miles. About 5k ago I noticed a slight ticking noise at idle when the car was warmed up. The oil (Exxon SuperFlo 10-30) has been changed every 3500 miles
    along with the filter (Purolator Plus). Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be tappet noise or maybe the fuel injectors? Thanks for your help.
    Bill
    If you don't want to do the gran touring suspension you could try driving one with the 16" tire option. There is a difference and it may be enough to satisfy you.
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Member Posts: 38
    I have the Firestone Affinity 16 inch tires that came with the car. They were standard with the Gran Touring Package. Like I said earlier, I have had no problem's with the tires.

Mike,
    I have not noticed any warping with my rear bumper and my car is outside 24 hours a day. I don't know what part of the country you live in Mike, but I am in the Northeast. That might be the difference. If not then I would definately get it checked out by Buick.
    I live in Northern Virginia, and granted our summers here can get pretty sweltering. But none the less, there is no reason why my bumper should be rippled like it is right now. I've shown the car to one Buick dealer so far who told me that could replace the bumper with a new part. And since they pretty much admit that other LeSabres have the same problem, what is the point ??? I'll get a new part that will probably have the same problem at some point, plus I get a lousy paint job on the bumper (this dealer doesn't do the best body work).

I'll talk to some other dealers in the area and get their input, but in the end, I'll probably end up taking the car to a place that is willing to reinforce the bumper with some hard plastic or metal on the other side. That way, the problem is hopefully solved and I've still got a bumper with a fatory paint job on it.

If I'm really bold, I'll try doing this myself. I've got the Helms manuals for the LeSabre and taking off the rear bumper is not as hard as I thought. I've been tinkering with cars for ages now, so this really doesn't scare me.

I guess I'm a little disappointed (but not surprised) at the dealers reaction to this. From their point of view, they don't care and they're not going to go the extra mile to solve my problem. Actually, the dealer did say he could try stuffing some styrofoam under the bumper and seeing if that would keep it straight. It was all I could do to keep from laughing when I heard that.

I think Buick has a problem here. It's only cosmetic, but it is something they should address. I do plan on sending them a letter regardless.

- Mike
  • rhraaschrhraasch Member Posts: 9
    I'm having some problems with my 2000 Buick LeSabre air conditioning. The air conditioner intermittently blows out cool air, rather than COLD air. I took it into the dealer and on that particular day they couldn't find a problem. Anyone else had this problem?
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    Do you have the manual or automatic air?
  • jscottkjscottk Member Posts: 13
    My '94 Lesabre has died on me twice, (going about 30-40 mph and it eventually restarts). First I had the fuel filter and plugs changed and after the second episode the fuel pump replaced. It seems fine except when I go around a corner it starts to die OR after going downhill, at idle, it starts to die. ANYBODY got any ideas? To add to the dilema this MAY happen more frequently when the gas tank is on the last 1/4.

scott
    If you are just throwing parts at it, try the fuel pump next.

Otherwise, get the fuel pressure tested, it may indicate the pressure is low. Your local parts store may even be able to loan you the fuel pressure gauge to make the test. (After all, they'd like to sell you a fuel pump!)

Until you said may be more frequent at 1/4 tank or below, I was thinking battery going bad or a bad ground.

Of course, I just went through the bad battery thing on my 87, so I know it well. The car never died, just intermittently lost power. I'd hit bumps and the dash would turn into a Christmas tree. One of the terminals was making intermittent contact and warrented battery replacement.

FWIW

TB
    I hear an ultra version is being shown in Frankfurt and may be bound for production very soon.
  • drummerboy2drummerboy2 Member Posts: 5
    My wife has an Uncle who is selling his '98 Custom LeSabre with all the bells and whistles. He will sell it to us for $13K. The car is in excellent shape, been garaged and has only 24K miles on it. I used to sell these cars in 1998 but I don't remember much about any recalls, problems, etc.
    Should we or shouldn't we???
    This is the question. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Hmmmm. Sounds interesting. I could think of a few features I wouldn't mind seeing in a "LeSabre Ultra". Better stereo, better bucket seats, little more wood trim (or real wood instead of fake), power lumbar for the passenger, 17" wheels/tires for the GT suspension, backup alarm, more info on the HID, and last but not least, HOW ABOUT A SUPERCHARGED ENGINE WITH A HEAVY_DUTY TRANSAXLE !

Go build it Buick. I'll buy it tomorrow.

- vtech83
    ...I will buy in a jiffy. This car I am driving ('94 Ltd with base suspension) is superb. With a little more suspension tuning, Steering wheel and oomph, this car will really kick a..

I have to start modding it someday...I plan to go from suspension (bars, better shocks) to intake/exhaust and lastly to supercharger. This will be the sleeper sedan of the century.
    especially since the Park is soon to be replaced with a sexy and gorgeous new concept car. (Wish I could remember the name - not Blackhawk)

An Ultra based on LeSabre, priced below present Ultra would be a sweet addition to the line.

Mike - got your checkbook ready?

Ken
    Buick LeSabre Ultra. I love the sound of it. Especially if that sucker has the 3800SC engine which it sounds like it will. Mine will be gone tomorrow if Buick builds this thing.

Actually, it's sounding more and more like Buick is going to be one of the sedan survivors in GM. I've been hearing the rumors about the Bonneville and other Pontiac sedans. It looks like Chevy will be building trucks/SUVs/Vans, importing small sedans, and of course, building more Vettes. Pontiac is supposed to be focusing on sporty SUV models and possibly a successor to the Firebird/TransAm. Olds is gone. Saturn has their own little world. That leaves Buick and Cadillac as the primary sedan makers in GM. Hopefully Buick will start sprucing their lineup a little to reel in a different market group. Cadillac will still be the premier division, so I don't see a mass shift of GM sedan buyers to Cadillac, even though the new CTS looks pretty hot.

Hope everything is going well in the wake of the September 11 tragedy.

- Mike
    Thank-you Edmunds for the flags - you were ahead of the curve on this one! It's great to see those flags standing proudly. Next - how about making them wave a bit?

God Bless America

Ken
    Mike - I'd also love to see Buick produce this car - and would definitely consider it when replacement time comes for my Bonneville. I have fond memories of Buicks in my past and although I'm also enamored with Impala LS, LeSabre Ultra would be a wonderful consideration.

Ken
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I also like the idea of a LeSabre "Ultra", but I also think that perhaps the new home for the Aurora will be Buick, and that car will be the "performance" model of the lineup.
    I keep hearing that, too. That would actually make more sense that a SC LeSabre. All they really have to do is change the front and give it some type of Buick grill and get rid of any Olds logos on the car. If Buick does take this car, I hope they improve on the quality. That seems to be the biggest complaint about the Aurora.
  • fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    What would cause the "service engine soon"light to come on at about 100,000 miles.It doesn't stay long but returns.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The new upcoming Buick LaCrosse will probably have some Aurora bits in it. The current Aurora is supposed to soldier on until spring 2004. But, I wonder if even that will really happen?
    I've been trying to think of that name - the LaCrosse. The concept car was fabulous - can't wait to see how Buick does it in production.

Ken
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The upcoming LaCrosse will use components from the upcoming Cadillac CTS. It will not use any components from the Aurora.
    I can't help but wonder what lead foot does car testing for Consumer/Guide/ Reports and the like. They rate the LeSabre at something like 16 city and 22 highway and take points away for that in their ratings. In rural driving (stop sign every mile) my LeSabre gets 22mpg and on extended highway trips (all interstate) cruising at 75mph it gets 30.4. That is a lot different than the car test mags. What do they do, floor it at every light? I'd like to hear some realistic numbers on gas mileage. I don't do much city driving but some of you must - is your mpg better than Consumers/Guide/Reports?
    We have a 2000 leSabre and it get's up to 32 on the highway. we also have a 1990 bonneville that get,s between 20 and 22 on a 16 mile commute on back roads, and 30 highway.
    My 87 that just turned over to 90K today is averaging 24MPG in a mostly urban freeway environment. Plenty of Stop and Go. Yesterday was 300 miles of mostly rural interstate at 80+ MPH and some serious cross winds and I got about 25MPG.

I think the CR/CG must be estimating a bit and have gotten it really wrong.

I've hit the 30MPG in my 87 when I drive 5 under the speed limit and am really gentle with the throttle.

I would imagine the newer ones are even more fuel efficient.

TB