Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    I never get any better than 16MPG in city (16 miles commute - stop and go)...I got about 26 on highway.

By the way I aleady got the fuel system and plugs tuned. The above mentioned figures are after the tune up.

Otherwise, this thing is a pleasure...solidly built as a tank and totally reliable.
  • andymsnandymsn Member Posts: 22
    Considering a 2000 Buick LeSabre Limted with about 7k, Y56, 16" Affinity tires, leather buckets, console, traction control and HUD (not sure if it has heated seats). This car has never been titled and is still "new." In other words, the dealer apparently ordered the car and accepted it in about September of 1999. Allegedly, it was used for a demonstrator and one of their managers used it to commute from work to home and back.

If I purchased the car, the dealer claims the bumper-to-bumper warranty would start as of the date of purchase and extend for 36 months or to approximately 43,000 miles, whichever comes first. I had a friend of mine who works for another GM dealer run the VIN through GM's warranty database and it came up as having been initiated in late September, 1999. Obviously, I have some serious concerns in this department because the dealer is located approximately 90 miles from my home. Thoughts on the issue are appreciated.

I posted quite a while ago regarding what the cognoscenti on this board thought would be a fair price for the vehicle. The responses were thoughtful and I appreciate people taking the time to express their opinions. Unfortunately, the dealer was not reasonable and so I decided he could keep his car. Over three months and now a second model year later, the dealer still has the car. Thoughts on what the car is worth now would be appreciated. I'm thinking something on the order of wholesale value (I think the reason they haven't taken it to the auction is that they CAN'T because it's never been titled).

FINALLY, I rented a 2001 LeSabre and it has that damn vibration problem at 60-70 mph which drove me nuts. As I recall, the car I'm considering also had the issue when I test drove it. I know some have claimed that the tires being "out of round" is one possible cause of the problem, but I'm not sure I buy it. Does anyone have a legitmate, tried and true fix for the issue or is it simply a suspension problem, NOT tire/wheel balance issue?

Thank you in advance for anyone taking the time to respond.
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
    I have a 2000 LeSabre and do not have any "vibration problem" However it has the optional 16" tires (Generals) without the handling package. I have had it up to 80 on our 75mph turnpikes and it is steady as a rock, there is no vibration. A friend has a similar LeSabre, also on General tires and no vibration. I'd be interested to know if this so called vibration problem has anything to do with the Affinity tires. Maybe you could ask other folks who have the vibration to identify the tire brand? Cord separation could also be the problem--it takes a tire pro to spot it.
  • marki1marki1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 LeSabre Custom, which had all the features I wanted except an that is has the cassette player instead of the in-dash cd. Is it possible to add a cd changer that is controlled by the radio controls? I know Buick offered it as a trunk-mounted option, but I think they may have recently stopped (on the 2002) and it may have applied to the Limited only (maybe the Limited was pre-wired or had to be ordered with that option to be wired). The dealer offered to install a CD changer that plays through a radio station, but I figured if I decide to do that I'll wait a while (I can always get that from an audio installer).

If it not possible to get an integrated radio-control operated CD changer, what are people's experiences with aftermarket RF cd changes (those that play through a radio frequenc and come with their own controls)?

Thanks
  • tiny6tiny6 Member Posts: 6
    I'm thinking of getting a 2002 Buick LeSabre. What's the best price going for an extended warranty? I know Honda has a 7 year, 100K miles and 0 deductable that goes for as low as $850. Does Buick or GM have something similar. Besides responding here, if you wouldn't mind letting me know via emai I'd appreciate it; jamesavery2@earthlink.net. Thanks.
    Click on Advice (at the top of this page)and then Warrantys and read what Edmunds has to say about extended warranty. Also you may want to read what Consumers Guide/Digest thinks. Some like the idea and some really don't. If you are buying but will trade off in three years forget the extended warranty. But if you intend to drive it 'till the wheels fall off' you might want to consider one. Shop around though I have seen them add $1700 to a friends Grand Marquis purchase and that was a rip off. Read up on them so you can be an informed purchasers. That's my two cents worth.
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    Hey gang,

I'm helping my mom with the first car purchase she's ever had to make on her own, and she's got her eye on a 1996/1997 LeSabre. I've never owned one myself, and wondered what all of you had to say about them. I know they have generally solid reps, but the law of averages says each car has its' own problem areas too.

We've got a mechanic lined up to double check anything she is really interested in, but if any of you folks knew of potential problems unique to LeSabre's it'd really help out.

Thanks in advance for any help...later.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    I too, have the gens with the 16 wheels, they seemed to be OK but I have a very minor vibration which I attribute to the rock collection these tires pick up. I've never seen anything like this. Every rotation I pick out the rocks one by one with a screwdriver. You would not believe what comes out. Sooner or later, I'll own Michelins....Also, has anyone had a stalling problem when decending hills? Mine's done it twice since new, summer of 2000.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    Whether a car like the one you describe is new or used depends on the state you live in. In CA, such a car is new and the new car warranty begins at the mileage and date when first sold. As for price, I would look at Edmunds retail pricing for a used car as a guide. The only extra thing you might be getting is the extra warranty, and this is not enough to alter the price, just enough to seal the deal. The should be plenty of data on 2000 models to get a good feel for used retail pricing.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    The factory CD changer can not be added to these cars (there is a GM TSB on this). The CD changer ties into the class 2 serial data bus, and if the car was built without the changer, the data bus is not wired back into the trunk. There may be a cassette/CD combo (like the one in the Aurora) that would be a drop in, or if you do not need the cassette, an in-dash CD changer may be an option.
  • nlwalkernlwalker Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 2000 LeSabre Limited with the Grand Touring Package since June of 1999. It has the Firestone Affinity tires. I have been completely satisfied with the car and everything that came on it. I have not experienced any vibration at any speed. I didn't even experience the "dreaded kazoo noise" which people used to complain about in these postings. When I bought this car I thought it would either be the last American car I would ever buy or the first in a long line of Buicks. It now appears that it will be the latter. With this in mind, can anyone direct me to a source which will provide information on Buick's proposed lineup for 2003?
  • mstewart1mstewart1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently rented a 2001 Buick LeSabre Custom for 10 days, and thought I'd throw my initial impressions into the ring, since other posts on Edmunds have been so helpful. We were a family of three driving it both in large cities, straight, multi-lane highways, and very twisty mountainous roads - a good mix!

To reveal my bias, I would never buy a Buick - it's simply not the car for me. That said, here were our impressions after 10 days:

On the good side:

- We found the car was quite roomy, except for front legroom. I do have rather long legs, but found there was not quite enough room even with the seat all the way back. It has driver less legroom that a Maxima or Civic. Otherwise, the car was quite spacious.

- The trunk was similarly spacious - easily swallowing lots of luggage, stroller, etc. with room left over.

- The car had decent acceleration - it never seemed stressed, had power when we needed it, but it wasn't zippy.

- The car had a surprisingly tight turning radius, helpful when parking, getting around the city, etc.

- On straight, major highways, the car was in its element - it floated along in cruise control with barely a sound. It was a real cruiser.

On the down side:

- The car seemed quite big when driving - bigger than most other cars we've driven. We had a bit of a feeling that we were driving a boat.

- The car is tuned on the very, very soft side. It floated everywhere, and simply wallowed on turns or bumps. The tires chirped or squealed when making almost any turn at the posted speed. The car gives you the impression of being a large, heavy beast that prefers highway cruising to curvy roads. That said, we never felt control was lacking - you just couldn't take curves at the speeds you can with most other sedans. That may be a plus for those preferring a softer ride.

- The materials, build quality, etc. were poor or mediocre at best. The dash is an enormous slab of plastic, and the seat materials an unpleasant velour. Did not like it at all, but that may be personal preference.

- We found the seats were far too wide, and lacked side bolstering. They seem to be designed for much "larger" people. Again, that may be in line with the car - it appears to be designed more for highway cruising that twists and turns. It did mean, however, that we felt uncomfortable on long trips.

Overall, for those looking for a soft riding, highway cruiser, I think the car succeeds. For those looking for something else, you should probably want to look elsewhere.

Just my two cents.

Mike
  • captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    FYI, in case anyone really need more legroom: have a machine shop make you up 4 metal plates (1/4 inch thick metal by about 1.75--2 inches by about 3 or 4 inches) have them drill 2 holes in each of the four plates, about 2--3 inches apart. Then get additional bolts, nuts, and washers so that you can bolt the seat to the metal plates and then bolt the metal plates to the original mounting holes (get longer bolts to replace the originals to compensate for the thickness of the metal plates). I've done this for another car I own, works great. I've driven with my seat like this for a long time now and it seems to be very sturdy and safe. Just my 2 cents, in case it helps anyone.
  • captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    Forgot to mention, for the rear-most hole in the two rear plates, instead of a hole, make a slot, so you have some adjustment (which you might need) when installing.
    Dropped a K&N filter in.....immediate perceptible improvement in throttle response. Recommend highly.
    I have a 2000 LeSabre and have noticed that right from the start the exhaust pipe has a black carbon build up. Not real bad but it is soft black carbon if you touch it. Car runs great and gets great mileage city and highway. It is NOT consuming oil and has had a new air cleaner element installed at 12,000 miles. Is this carbon (black tailpipe) normal to you all? From my experience most cars today have a pretty clean exhaust pipe, tan or even white colored.
  • artwisartwis Member Posts: 66
    The wife and I are pretty much set on buying a 2002 Lesabre (custom with 1SE and traction control) as our next new vehicle. Compared to the rest of the forums here on "sedans" there are few complaints on the 2001 Lesabres. Seems as though everyones happy with theirs.
    Art
  • artwisartwis Member Posts: 66
    Both our Chevrolet truck and venture van have the black type carbon on the end of the pipe as you describe. They both have been good vehicles and run just fine so I feel it's normal.
    Art
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Check out the new Bonneville SE and possibly an Impala LS while your looking. Both are terrific cars and I can personally attest to the Bonneville SE - my car. Both of these cars come std with buckets and console if that interests you as it does me. Mechanically all 3 have the same power train. The Impala is marginally smaller - (all but unnoticeable) and is less expensive but handles a bit better. All are great cars

Good luck

Ken
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Ditto Ken's comments. I own a 2000 Bonneville, which is essentially the sibling to the LeSabre, and those of us on the Bonneville forum are also very pleased with our cars. If I'm not mistaken, the LeSabre is consistently GM's best-selling full-size sedan. It doesn't have the high-zoot appeal of the "imports" but for us practical, salt-of-the-earth, patriotic types, the LeSabre is a very appealing vehicle. Buy a Buick! It's built in Michigan, and you can't beat 0% financing! Or better yet, go for the Bonneville (if the styling appeals to you, it's a zippier car). Impala had some teething problems for the first couple of years, but I think most of those have been worked out. It's less expensive and very practical, but not as luxurious as the LeSabre or Bonneville.
    2000/2001 LeSabre has been named one of the safest cars of all times by NIHS..others (that I remember) are the latest Passat and Civic.
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Member Posts: 38
    First of all to artwis - welcome to the Lesabre Forum. I also own a 2000 LeSabre Limited and am very satisfied with it.

macarthur2 - I have the same black carbon buildup that you described, so I would think that it is pretty normal.

tpken - Good to see you on the Forum again !
    In the October Consumer Reports, they had a report on tires and winter driving, giving the Firestone Affinity tires low marks for handling in the snow. I had no problems last winter, but now I have 25,000 miles on the tires. I am thinking of changing to Michelins before the snow season starts since they were rated the best for snow handling. I appreciate any comments to help me with my decision. Thank you very much.

Neil
    I'm in the same situation with my 2000 Bonneville SE. I've got 38K on it now and like you, had no problem at all last winter in all our snow. I was considering Goodyear Aquatread III till I read their miserable snow rating in CR. Not sure where to go now. Which Michelins are you considering?

Ken
    I have the same dilemma....Actually I had quite made up my mind to go for Michelin Rainforce...now I am not so sure.

Good info about snow tires here:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_011101.htm
  • barnharbarnhar Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 2002 LeSabre and would like to know how folks like its stereo system. I would opt for the cassette and cd player model. Thanks.

Rick
    I have the same system in my 2000 LeSabre Limited and I love it. The best part is having the radio control's on the steering wheel. It makes it so easy to use the system while you are driving. The controls are easy to use. The feature that I like the most is if you are taking a trip, you can push a button and it will find the station's in the area with the strongest signals. If you push it again, it will return the settings to your normal station's when you get back home. Saves time looking for station's while you are traveling.
  • stan13stan13 Member Posts: 14
    Re: the Le Sabre Sound System: I have a 2000 Limited and although the radio is feature-rich, the sound is at best mediocre. It is one of the few disappointments in an otherwise excellent automobile.
    I believe this has much to do with the average quality of the speakers and poor placement of the front speakers. The sound does not surround you or envelop you such as is the case with some premium sound systems in other auto marques. The sound is very restrictive and leaves one dissatisfied. Unfortunately, there are no aftermarket units available for replacement. The only possibility might be an upgrade in the speakers. I have not yet tried that for fear that I might spend money and find it has not improved it enough to make a difference. Just my opinion. Perhaps the 2001 has seen an improvement..but I doubt if "The General" would be bothered to spend the bucks to upgrade the sound. After all, they're selling bunches of LeSabres, poor sound or not.
  • dispencerdispencer Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone else have a pronounced whine coming from the alternator, noticible until you shift into high? You can hear each shift, whine goes down as rpm's fall. I had a similar noise in my 1994 but less loud. The alternator seems to be working ok. Has anyone installed a new or rebuilt alternator because of this problem and has the noise gone away. I'll have this car for another 5 months, then sell it and find a low mileage 2000 DeVille. This is my last Buick. My 2000 LeSabre had a creaking noise from the front end when you made a sharp turn and the dealer's comeback was that "nothing was broken so tough luck"- ditto with the zone people so hopefully Cadillac will stand behind their product. The best LeSabre I ever had was the 1990 -should have kept it. Karl Spence
  • realyecatrealyecat Member Posts: 29
    I never understand?

Can someone kindly tell me?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    It is French for "the sword". Buick used it in 1959 for first time.

LeSabres used to be the "cheap" full size Buick, usually seen with dog dish hubcaps. Now it's one of the biggest selling GM cars, outselling the Park Ave.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    I'm thinking about buying a LeSabre and would like some feedback. Any negative comments about the 2001 or 2002 models? How bout squeaks, rattles, and cabin vibrations? These I can't tolerate because they come and go and are difficult to pinpoint.
    Definately take one for a drive or better yet rent one for a weekend or short trip. The car sells itself pretty well. Rear seat cushions are a bit too soft. Good power, great highway mileage, slightly firmer ride than the older model. I have had no trouble with my 2000 Lesabre, the first year of the new body style. It gets better mileage than what the magazine road tests say it does. Competition for comparison would be the Mercury Grand Marquis which is physically bigger but the interior dimensions are the same. Try one out.
  • dispencerdispencer Member Posts: 6
    Personally, after the problems I had with a suspension creak in my 2000 LeSabre that the dealer and zone service guy was unwilling to fix I sold it and won't buy another Buick. A year old Cadillac is the same price with a better warrenty and lots more for the money. People here are selling 2001 DeVilles for $26,000 with 28k. Who would spend the same amount for a LeSabre Limited? Anyway - for the person who was considering a 2001 or 2, drive the exact car you are buying before you take delivery. Make shapr turns and see if the suspension creaks when the car rights itself. In my numerous trips to the dealer I discovered that several other 2000 owners had the creaking problem. Other than that -the car is fine. Nothing out of the ordinary and a plain interior on the base model but everything fits and works effortlessly. Really good mileage (28-32) on the road and no cabin rattles. Much better than the 92-99 models.
    I think this one died in December, what do you say we give it an honorable burial?
    Interesting to speculate as to why this immensely popular automobile has such a dearth of interest here. Certainly the average age of the buyers is in the same range as that for Lincoln Town Car and DeVille which seem to have postings. I guess one might figure that there simply is not much to be said when a car just delivers what it promises mile after mile which seems to be this car's reputation. Still, it's a shame there is no discussion to monitor for those of us with similar cars like my Bonneville.

Vtech - you still around buddy? Anyone else? If not I suppose it's time for archive here.

Ken
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    The transmission in my 87 LeSabre went south at 90K miles.

I know it was maintained properly, because it has been in the family since new.

TB
  • gmlover1gmlover1 Member Posts: 60
    When did the trans die, and what went on it?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Age is a factor too, not just miles.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Clutch material came off the clutches and clogged the filter. However, I'd driven other cars of similar age, such as a 66 Nova with a powerglide in the early/mid 80's, a 75 Buick after that, and four years ago I sold a 79 Ford Fairmont I'd driven for three years. This is the first old car with a transmission failure. Of course I've had two newer ones experience failures...

When warm, the car would not go in any gear, including reverse. Stop and go traffic killed it.

Now after a rebuild, it is much smoother than ever.

TB
  • rocketman4rocketman4 Member Posts: 1
    Considering one as my next car. Any issues?
  • sajala00sajala00 Member Posts: 2
    I am new owner of LeSabre 1999.

It has 34K on it. It has depreciated by 50 % in 2.5 years which is of little concern to me. Generally, Toyotas and Hondas do not show this kind of deep depreciation but I have another Toyota and wanted to try some thing different.

I liked the test drive, like the interiors and took the decision.

Let us see, time will tell.

Any special tips for longer life would be appreciated.

Regards,
    - Sajala00
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Is the Park Avenue going to be discontinued in the near future? If so, when exactly is it going to be and what will its replacement look like?
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The Park Avenue will be around a few more years.

There are rumors it may be replaced by a new RWD sedan that resembled a Buick show car from a few years ago.

Or it may be replaced by an Ultra trim on the LeSabre.

Or it may be just be discontinued.
  • gmlover1gmlover1 Member Posts: 60
    change the fluids at least as often as the manual says don't abuse it and you should have a 200,000 mile car.
    Okay by me, now do you think we could get the supercharged 3800 engine that is available in the Park Avenue and Regal? Weird that they have that engine for the more expensive and the cheaper Buick but not the LeSabre. God forbid that we tamper with the "Older Generation," stogy, reputation of the wonderful LeSabre. Some of us would love to have this car with the supercharged engine with 240+ hp and a little firmer handling package. Any others interested? Maybe Buick actually reads this column and might get the message.
  • indrekindrek Member Posts: 6
    I accidentally backed into a light pole in a parking lot. There was a slight jolt at less than walking pace, resulting in a broken red tail lamp lens cover. Imagine my surprise when the friendly GM dealer informed me that one cannot buy replacement lens covers. Instead, one has to purchase the whole lamp assembly for a total of Cdn $900+

Needless to say, I went to Canadian Tire and bought a four dollar roll of red lens tape to patch things up. Not as pretty, but functional.

The bigger question is why GM cannot design a bumper that will protect from costly damage after such a seemingly trivial bump?

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto
    Sudbury, Ontario
    2001 Le Sabre Limited
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    It does not surprise me that you need to purchase the entire lamp assembly. GM (and most of the other manufacturers too) save money by supplying parts as full assemblies rather than bits and pieces of assemblies -- there are fewer parts to inventory and keep track of. Also, it is usually the case where the assembly is manufactured as one big piece, as with the tail lamp. They don't think about repair costs. So GM keeps it's costs down and the consumer pays more when it comes time for repairs. Stinks, huh?
    Maybe troll around eBay; someone might be auctioning off a tail lamp assembly cheap.
    Red Green would be Proud of You! After all, you can always count on duct tape for the temporary fix (unless of course it holds up well enough to be come permanent!)

Ken
  • sajala00sajala00 Member Posts: 2
    My family has 1999 LeSabre Limited and 1993 Toyota Corola.

One fine day my wife broke the tail Red lamp of my Toyota while she was backing. The Toyota dealer quoted me $650. So I put the duct tape as Indrek. Unfortunately, water started sipping in from the cracks and I had to change the inside bulb every now and then [ especially for every state inspection ]. Finally I ordered that part from http://www.junkyarddog.com/ for $60.

Now it is working fine.

Regards