Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• raegoulraegoul Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1997 Buick Lesabre ( http://raegoul.org/pic005.jpg ) and i find the air conditioning amazing. When you put it on it takes a few minutes til it becomes absolutely freezing and u have to turn it down.

Maybe the newer LeSabre's air conditioning is less impressive... personally i find the entire 2002 style unimpressive... Buick should have never gotten rid of the beautiful door handles.

My only complaint about my 97 Lesabre is that im in my early-mid 20's and when people see me driving it, they think "sonny boy is taking mom and pops car for a cruise!"

• sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Looked at new Bonnies too ! My girl
    is short and hated the "euro" style
    seats ! Too Hard etc she sez.
    She don't like the seats in the caddys
    either !
    The Buick seats seem the same to me !
    BUT she has to drive it ! Me I LOVE
    my BIg chevy xcab....geo
  • lrdtxlrdtx Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 LeSabre turned out to be a lemon but the laws are too restrictive; yeah, I can turn it in but they'll make me get another Buick and with the deduction per mile, I'm better off trading it in for another make. Problems? The kazoo sound is too infrequent to mess with; they could make it worse. Second, after a year, I noticed that the A/C sometimes wouldn't work. The dealer replaced the compressor. It happened again; they "programmed the computer" which probably means they didn't do anything. Then I noticed that when the A/C didn't work, the key alarm would sound. During the many trips to the dealer, they replaced the keys, the key lock, the key cylinder, all the A/C dash controls, all the door controls and the problem continued. What seems to have worked since the problem hasn't resurfaced in about three months, is that they replaced some computer control under the car seat whatever it was. Why couldn't the engineers at Buick tell the dealer exactly where the key alarm and the A/C system have a common connection or chip or whatever? Third problem is the power window controls. Tomorrow, they will have to replace the front passenger chain or motor for the third time. The driver front and the passenger rear have all been replaced once each. Fourth, twice now, the car won't start; the motor will turn but it sounds like when you could flood the motor. When it got towed to the dealer, it started right away. I figured it had to be the fuel filter or the pump so I replaced the filter but sometimes it turns a couple of times before starting and I know it's going to happen again. My dealer has my car more than I do but I get to drive a different rental at Buick's expense each time. Folks tell me each time, "Again! Get a foreign car the next time!" But I'm too patriotic. Next time I'll just go back to Fords.
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Member Posts: 38
    I have a 2000 LeSabre Limited and the air conditioning works great. I set the auto control on 68 degrees and withen a few minutes, the car gets really cool, even after sitting in the sun at 95 degrees plus for 4 or more hours at a time. You can only get the automatic air conditioning on the Limited and I would highly reccomend it. Another difference between the Custom and the Limited is with the radio and temperture controls on the steering wheel, which again are only available on the Limited. They are easy to use and it helps you regulate things while keeping your eyes on the road. I recently checked out an 02' LeSabre and I liked what I saw except for the new radio faceplate. I wished they would have kept the controls the way they are on my 2000. Any other opinions on the new radio faceplate ?

Neil
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    The 2000 Limited has great air...for a R-134A system. I check out other car's air on hot days and I think the Les. is coldest. I think GM systems are designed with a variable displacement compressors, so the air blowing at max on a 74 deg. day will actually be warmer than max on a 95 deg. day. It does a great job of keeping the car cool on hot humid days we have here in Springfield, Missouri.
  • giants515giants515 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for #612, sonjaab.

Concert II sound--had the speakers changed yesterday. On kcwolfpack's advice (#582), had a pro do the installation (thanks, wolf, for saving me a world of trouble). Went with MB Quart speakers--titanium coaxials and triaxials. With installation almost $500. Could have gone with very satisfactory speakers for $230, but got quickly hooked when I heard the demo of the ones I decided to get. Not happy at all to pay that much, but very happy for sure about the wonderful results. I'm a musician, so sound matters a lot to me. When I first told the guy in the shop that I wanted to change the Concert II speakers, he said quietly, "Yeah, you'll want to do that."

Incidentally, this shop gives customers the old equipment (maybe that's standard procedure in the auto-sound business--don't know). So I'll have the original speakers re-installed when I trade this car two to four years out. If I get another LeSabre (very strong possibility), I can put the speakers I've bought in the next car. Again, why would Buick go cheap on *speakers*? I like the used LeSabre Limited a whole lot (31K on it at purchase), but the sound system's a mystery.
  • stan13stan13 Member Posts: 14
    Giants515...What model MBQ speakers did you install,(both front and rear)? I want to replace those junky, cheap Concert Hall II faux speakers and I think I'm ready to spend some $$ to put me out of my sonic misery. GM oughta be ashamed. Are the front speakers 5 1/4" or 6 1/2"?
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I am considering purchasing a 2002 Buick LeSabre and have some questions:

Anyone know what the 0-60 acceleration time is for the 2002 Buick LeSabre?

Is the car generally considered a quiet car with respect to wind and road noise intrusion into the cabin compared to other cars in the same category?

Where are the six speakers located within the cabin in the Concert Sound II system? Is it possible to independently adjust the bass and treble tone controls independently of the automatic equalization control?

Are the "Catcher's Mitt" seats comfortable on a long trip?

Thanks in advance.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I drive a 2000 Impala, which has a "low tire pressure" monitor on it - when a tire is low, I get a message on the dash. My wife saw a story on TV last night that used a Buick as an example of a car that had a monitor on the dash that told you the tire pressure of each individual tire. My wife likes that idea, as one of her fears is being stranded with a flat tire (mine on the Impala saved me just a few weeks ago).

My question is, on cars equipped with the pressure monitor that gives a readout for each tire - does it also give a warning if a tire goes too low, or is it up to the operator to monitor the readings and notice when one is losing pressure?
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    After hearing the obscene mechanic charges for changing the spark plugs, I decided to change them myself....bought six champion copper plugs and changed five of the existing ones (one fell and got lost)

Here's the problem.....I think that I have not connected them properly. The engine has lost most of its power. Even the brakes aren't functioning properly.

Please help by posting the correct connection from spark plug to the (capacitor)?

The car starts but has very low power.
  • evilpancakewomevilpancakewom Member Posts: 35
    It is absolutely neseccary that all 6 new spark plugs are in. Then you must gap them. In order to gap them you need a gapper (from any basic auto store). Gap the spark plugs to the right amount and it should run fine. As for the brakes, make sure the hose to the brake cyl. is in all the way. Take it to a trust worthy mechanic if all else fails.
    Priggly: Some answers to your questions. I believe the 0-60 is 8.2 sec.

The LeSabre is a QUIET car; on some road surfaces it is uncannily quiet. Very little wind and road noise. In most cases normal conversation is quite possible. Passengers have often commented on the quietness of the car.

Two 6 x 9 speakers on the rear deck lid, 2 in the door (5 1/4" I believe) and two tweeters on extreme right and left corners between the dash and windshield.
    Quality of sound? See Messages # 616 and 617.

Yes it is possible to manually control the treble and bass by switching the equalizer setting to "Manual" OR as on my radio, as soon as I adjust either bass or treble, the equalizer automatically switches to manual mode.
    Hope this helps.
    Priggly.."door" should read "doors".
  • rdkuscgrdkuscg Member Posts: 1
    We have left the small car world and entered into the world of the family sedan. First, the writings in the chat room helped sway our direction toward a LeSabre. I hope the trade off from the reliable Honda will not prove disappointing. So far the car has been everything it claims to be. Because it is used, we have noted a few bugs and the dealer has been very receptive to our requests to fix them. We will see shortly whether this comes to fruition. We have one issue that has not been noted in any of the discussions that we are looking for input on. When the air is on and the fan switch is raised above midpoint, the fan motor's rises above conversational levels. On full fan, the radio and conversation are next to nonexistent. Although the dealer will look at this, has anyone experienced this and found a solution? Forewarned is forearmed - knowledge is power.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I'm thinking about gettting a LeSabre someday. Any of you LeSabre owners have any advice? Yes? No? Problem spots? What do you like best about the car? How's the reliability? Anyone have the "touring" suspension? Thanks!
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
    Keeping in mind that one persons advice is only their opinion, I would say get the 2000 or newer model. It is not the "floater" that the older version was. Firmer ride but still a Buick. Most comments I have seen in road tests in magazines seem to think the "grand touring" suspension is jiggly (?). I have the 16" alloy wheel option without the gran touring suspension and think it is great. Highway mileage averages 30.4mpg and around town 22mpg (I am a conservative driver) Have had mine since Jan of 2000 have 26k miles on it without a single bit of trouble. It is a nice car. I do hear gripes about the concertII radio, but most of us older folks have lost some hearing and probably don't notice any problem. Some are replacing the speakers (young whipersnappers!) Try renting one first it is a good way to see if you will like it.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The 2000 and newer LeSabres are on GM's G body which is shared with the Caddy DeVille, Park Ave., Bonneville, and Aurora. Made at a more modern palnt than the old H bodies.

But, old H bodies seem to run a long time, tons of them are still running!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Has anyone else had bad experience with their 3800?

I havea 98 LeSabre with 72k on it and a coolant leak turned out to be
    the gasket and plastic ($300) plenum on the top of the air intake
    setup.

Buick just rejected my request for coverage for part and labor
    on at least the plenum. They said there's no problem with them.
    My service manager at the Buick, Pont., Chev., GMC dealership
    says they're seeing more of these all the time.

Buick's rep was very nonchalant when I suggested my 93 LeSabre
    can be replaced with a Camry or Avalon..., instead of New LeSabre
    or new/used Park Avenue...

Has the corporate attitude changed on the 3800 and Buick?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Has anyone else had bad experience with their 3800?

I havea 98 LeSabre with 72k on it and a coolant leak turned out to be
    the gasket and plastic ($300 part only) plenum on the top of the air intake
    setup.

Buick just rejected my request for coverage for part and labor
    on at least the plenum. They said there's no problem with them.
    My service manager at the Buick, Pont., Chev., GMC dealership
    says they're seeing more of these all the time.

Buick's rep was very nonchalant when I suggested my 93 LeSabre
    can be replaced with a Camry or Avalon..., instead of New LeSabre
    or new/used Park Avenue...

Has the corporate attitude changed on the 3800 and Buick?

The 3800 is generally a solid engine. Never heard of one blowing up. Some do spring leaks here and there. The 3800 continues to prove that you don't need dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder to get great power and very good gas mileage. The overhead cammers are just another excuse to boot the price uphill. The 3800 can stay with an Avalon on acceleration and beat it in mpg. Who needs those cammers?
  • twalden1twalden1 Member Posts: 2
    My sister got her 1995 Olds 88 (84K miles) with the 3800 engine out of the shop yesterday with a repair for the same problem you describe. The GM repair kit was almost $300. The bigger problem was the phantom leak, and trying to find it, and the inconvenience of several trips to the local garage. I drive a Buick, and according to my Buick dealer, this coolant leak problem is seen frequently. This is the third coolant leak she has had in the intake, all in different places.
  • gtmushgtmush Member Posts: 4
    There are several postings on the Chevrolet Impala board regarding this problem. Also, one of my co-workers told me this happened to his mother-in-law's LeSabre. The Buick rep probably wasn't too concerned about your mentioning the Camry or Avalon since those cars have a sludge problem that Toyota was reluctant to acknowledge.
  • slimrjpslimrjp Member Posts: 5
    Over the weekend I went on an extended trip with my family. Mom & Dad just bought an Impala LS, which I had thought about buying when I bought my LeSabre -- Boy did I make the right choice.

My LeSabre has been consistently averaging 33.8 mpg traveling 70-80 mph through Montana/Wyoming/Idaho with an excellent ride and handling. The Impala got 29 with the cruise at 73 and the ride left a lot to be desired. It was very firm, but felt more like my truck than a car. Don't get me wrong I really like the Impala, but when it comes down to it the LeSabre may be a "Blue Hair Car" but sure kicked the Impala's young punk butt!!!
    Your right, the Buick has a better damped ride and it is quieter to boot thanks to more sound deadening insulation. Lots of people think the LeSabre and Impala are on the same chassis but they are not. The Impala is on the same chassis as the Pontiac Gran Prix and the LeSabre is on the same chassis as the Pontiac Bonneville. I'm always impressed with the gas mileage of my LeSabre which is always above 31 mpg in straight highway driving. I'm very disappointed in Consumer Guide Car Issue that they rate the LeSabre so low (17 mpg). My LeSabre gets 21 mpg in city/rural driving and has never gotten below 20 mpg. This is no gas guzzler, in fact it does better than the Toyota Camry/Avalon. Come on Consumers Guide lets tell it honestly.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Very interesting report there Slimrjp. I had been set on finding an Impala LS before purchasing my 2000 Bonneville SE. The experience with the Bonnie has been very good but I find that my gas mileage has fallen off about 10% after replacing the std Firestone Affinities (POS) with Goodyear Aquatread IIIs. Still, the car is very quiet and controlled - especially after I had an antisway bar installed in back. With an interior similar to the Impala LS (buckets with center console and shift) and a ride akin to a LeSabre with some suspension upgrade - it is a pure joy to drive.

That said, I'd drive any of the 3 of these cars with pleasure. Mine happens to be a bit more unique in that you don't see quite so many Bonnies.

Luv'n every mile!
  • slimrjpslimrjp Member Posts: 5
    Since you mention tires I am curious what tires everyone is purchasing for their LeSabres. Mine has the standard set of 15" Generals it came from the factory with and as I am quickly approaching the 30K mile mark they need to go. To be honest I am very disappointed in them. GM should be note that these tires do not cut it on a car of this size and ability! I looked at some Douglas touring radials ($60 each with an 80k warranty) and have noticed a lot of Goodyears on other LeSabres. Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Amazing SLIMRJP I was thinking the exact same thing as I was bringing up this site just now. My LeSabre has the General tires only they are 16". At 26k they look to have maybe 10k more left on them. So if any of you have changed out the original 16" tires what have you replaced them with? Wal Mart has Michlins Semetry and Good Year Viva2 touring tires, has anyone tried them? The Generals have gotten noticeably noisier as they have worn.
    Appreciate any advice any of you have.
    Might go look at Tirerack.com
    I am not crazy about the 16" generals, either. They pick up a tremendous amount of gravel and every few months, if I am bored, I pick them out with a screwdriver. I have Michelin X-ones on the Monte, they wear like iron, have good grip in all weather and are still just slightly noisy. I was thinking about the symmetry Michelin also as the replacement. I have broused in Edmunds Tire forum, which helps, and at tire rack too, but most of these Buicks 2000 and up have not logged enough miles to be concerned with replacement.
    Macarthur2...Take a close look at the reviews of the Yokahama Avid Touring tire on Tirerack's website. It appears the people who have them love them and give them high marks. Good prices too. I'll be looking at them as replacements for my Firestone Affinity tires when they wear out.
  • daddyvetdaddyvet Member Posts: 3
    Have had our 2000 LeSabre Limited for the past 27K miles and 29 months. Not one iota of a problem. Did replace the 16" factory tires with Firestone whitewall Affinity's. Looks a lot better to me! Of course, I came into the car loving world when whitewalls were the "in" thing. I drive cars for Avis and that's what sold me on the Buick......any of the models are super drivers. However, I will say this, I'm going to seriously consider the Avalon when the next car buying time comes. Don't want to look like the grandfather I am!!
    I love Michelin quality. I put X-Ones on my 98
    LeSabre. They grip great in snow and cold icy
    roads because of the treat rubber compound.
    I put XH4s on my last LeSabre and one failed at
    110 K. I never thought I;'d keep the car this long.
    they still have 3 to 4 32nds of tread depth.
    The X-Ones are soft and quiet but grip great.

Hey, Avalons are "granddaddy" cars too, so you really won't be making youself look any younger. Just get a Civic with wacky spoilers and look stupid trying to look young, instead.
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Member Posts: 38
    Hi everyone, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth about replacement tires and gas mileage. I replaced my original Firestone Affinity tires on my 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited at 30,000 miles with Michelin Symmetry tires. So far, (2000 + miles) they seem to be wearing very well. I have the 16 inch tires and the Touring Suspension.

Concerning gas mileage, I think that the brand of gasoline you use has alot to do with your mileage. I had been using Shell regular gasoline and had been getting 31 mpg on the highway. I then joined the Upromise program and switched to Exxon regular for the college savings. After I switched, my highway mpg went down to 26. I then switched back to Shell and my mpg went back up to 31. So, maybe if you try a different gasoline, your mileage might improve.

Just came back from a 700 mile trip to Maine and back and averaged 31.2 mpg on the highways.

Neil
  • jmille9jmille9 Member Posts: 2
    For a better ride and stability I would consider Bridgestone Turanzas...They improved the ride on my old 1993 LeSabre...the downside is that you will have to replace them @ 35k miles...for endurance go with Michelon. The tradeoff in tire buying is always ride vs wear. Actually the original equipment Generals are probably going to be hard to beat for soft ride on the LeSabre since Buick wants to suck-in older buyers who like that feature. I would keep the Generals until the tread gets thinner and your ride rougher before going to Turanzas or Michelons.
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    My 1991 LeSabre has slow power windows (all 4). I find it hard to believe that all 4 motors are bad, but I guess it's possible. I was thinking it was more of a low voltage issue. I haven't measured the voltage at the motors though.

Any suggesions?

Thanks..
  • barkhouse1barkhouse1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am new to this site and am hopeful I can get the answers to my situation.
    I have a 93 buick lesabre LTD with 167,000 kms.
    My situation is when I am at a full stop,and when I step on the acceleration, there is a pronounced hesitation. It seems no fuel is getting to the required destination.
    I have had the fuel injectors cleaned, a new gas filter and new spark plugs.
    I am trying to avoid paying the money for a scope,can anyone give me any suggestions as to what this recurring problem be? Thank you.
    "My 1991 LeSabre has slow power windows (all 4)."

Car is almost 12 years old, isn't it?
  • kydriver1kydriver1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 LeSabre Custom seems to burn out taillight and turn signal bulbs with some frequency. I was trying to change the bulbs in the light assembly which is attached to the trunk lid. You have to remove the whole assembly to change a bulb and the nuts on the fasteners for the assembly are set so deep into the trunk lid I can't reach them with pliers or an open end wrench and the stems are so long that deep sockets won't fit either. I can't believe I may have to take the car to the dealer to change taillight bulbs. In my book, that's a really stupid design.
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    I bought this Le Sabre when it was 135K Km and now it is almost 165K and I don't know when it was last done. I received a notification from the dealer the other day for a steering system flush. How crucial is it and do I need a dealer to do it?
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    Yes, it's 12 yrs old. Big deal. Are you saying I should heap it because it's 12 yrs old and the power windows are slow? I'll put in the replacement motors and keep it going if it's OK by you.

It runs like new with the new suspension and tires I had put on. Engine oil change every 3K and very well maintained through it's 90K of service. Body shows minor surface rust, but otherwise, it's going to keep running for another 50-70K.

Please do not comment if you don't have anything constructive to say.
    Got Yokohama Avid touring for the 2000 Limited which has the 16" cross lace with General tires. I bought them based on the recommendations from Edmund's tires, tires tires forum and the rave reviews on tire racks web site. So far, I like them and they do make this smooth and quiet car a little more so. I almost got the Michelin X-one, but I have some on the Monte, and I think they are somewhat noisy on coarse pavement. I have had great luck with michelins over the years and just wanted to try something new. I will update if anyone is interested after a few weeks.
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    My 1998 Olds 88 (yes Olds not Buick because the 88 Olds board is dead) with a Buick 3800 engine has been using coolant. The GM dealer says the "plenum" is bad, leaking, and must be replaced. I suspected a head gasket. Apparently this is similar to an intake manifold, but I'm confused in that I wouldn't think it had coolant running through it. Has anyone else experienced this problem and does a "plenum" have water in it as stated?

Even though the car has 54,000 miles, GM has offered to pay for parts replacement of $700, $530 is mine for labor. I have had several problems with the car even though I tend to baby it. At least GM is acknowledging some responsibility given the car's age and milage.

Regards and safe driving,

Vlanman
    Hot coolant goes up next to the throttle body from the metal air intake to warm the
    incoming air. It comes back down to the metal intake. The leaks occur around the
    gaskets, I was told and shown, often toward the back of the engine. The leaks may be
    caused by warpin of GM's badly made plastic air intake.
    Mine did this -- $300 plastic part + $150 labor approx. A friend's 98 Pontiac just leaked into the air intake causing the engine to sound like a diesel then quit. Repaired, but I notice their car is gone again. They had a noisy lifter after they got the car back from 100 miles from home where it quit! Must have had an additional problem after the repair. Hope it wasn't bearing damage due to coolant in oil.

GM paid nothing on mine at 76K. I had another LeSabre with 149 K on it. I'm looking for another car. Would you buy another engine with same plenum design?????? in a new
    Buick or other GM car????????

Consider yourself lucky they're standing behind their product. I was given the cold shoulder "Why are you so dumb to ask for us to pay part or all for our bad design?" treatment by the rep on the 1 800 4Abuick number.

But later 1 800 4abuick was real nice when I asked about the options on a new LeSabre and why the packages are so screwy in what you have to get to get what you want? Apparently they don't connect customer service with sales of the next product unit.

• vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks imidazol97 for your interesting experience and information on a plenum. I agree with you completely, it's hard to get excited about buying any vehicle made so poorly. They'll probably fix that problem, but how many more poorly designed parts are waiting to get you.

I had the same thoughts about engine damage in my car. Hopefully no damage occurred and I got it to the dealership in time. Who knows what they did though, charging for a new starter, saying it was damaged by coolant and cracked?? I doubt it, but it was changed at any rate.

Thanks again for the info and regards,

vlanman25
  • upandaway1upandaway1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a rear power door lock problem in my 86 Buick Electra, which is very similar body to the LeSabre and the Park Avenue. The lock doesn't respond to either the lock or unlock commands. Its locked right now and I can't open the door. Its probably not important, but the power window still works. Any ideas on what to do to fix it?
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    It's probably a bad lock solenoid. You'll need to remove the door panel to get at it. Try and move the lock manually to make sure it's not jammed.
  • shivelytshivelyt Member Posts: 46
    I have a 95 LeSabre with 75K miles and, so far, not too many complaints. When I had the oil changed last the service agent told me I should change my fuel filter. Can't find anything in the customer manual about this and can't find anything resembling a fuel filter under the hood. He told me it was under the right rear wheel. Maybe he meant the fuel pump. That I replaced a year ago for about $300. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.
    If you have a proper and safe way to jack up the car check out a Haynes manual and do the filter change yourself. Careful, as you will get gas all over your hands and everywhere. The connections can be tricky, but once you learn how, the GM ones are fairly easy. I suggest taking it to a pro to be changed if you are not a do it yourselfer. Yes, most GM filters are under the driver's side rear seat and not near the engine. I have been changing my family's GM fuel filters on fuel injection cars now for over 12 years. I hate it and if I had a little more disposable income I would take them to a shop. I change them at 40 to 50K intervals and have never had a problem with injectors. Hope this helps.
  • shivelytshivelyt Member Posts: 46
    Thanks, kcwolfpack for the info. I will take it to a pro for the filter change. Strange that my Buick owner's book doesn't mention changing this filter. Thanks again.
    The fuel filter on my 93 LeSabre was up under
    the front passenger's feet on the right
    side next to the stub frame rail. The car
    had to be up on blocks under both front
    wheels to get under to get at it. It
    required removing one screw holding
    the clamp around its middle and the
    two snap clips on each end. Buick's
    manual says it only needs to be changed
    if there's a problem. Buick didn't
    state a mileage. I changed at 100K.