Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• danieltigerdanieltiger Member Posts: 7
    How come all the mechanics on the radio tell us to use premium gas? They claim that cars will last longer and require fewer repairs. These are people who have worked on cars all their lives. Who should we believe, the manufacturer or the guys who work on cars every day? Who is telling the truth?
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    Unless enging electronics are set to burn high efficiency fuel, you are wasting your money - cause the engine is going to burn it anyways like it was 87-octane.
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
    Think a minute, are the mechanics guaranteeing your engine or is the manufacturer? You can bet your boots Buick would tell you if you needed premium fuel. But the maker of your car says use unleaded regular. If your car breaks down try taking it to your friendly neighborhood mechanic and have him honor the Buick warranty. A lot of these good old boy mechanics got their training back in the days of carburetors and ignition points and they have not kept up to date on modern computerized engine control systems. If you made a product and told me how to use it and I did not follow your directions who would be at fault? The manufacturer wrote the owers manual you would be wise to follow it. Do they know the car they MADE better than the local shade tree mechanic? YES
  • hobasilhobasil Member Posts: 7
    Hello everybody,

I came across a 1999 ex-opp white Lumina for 5 thousand Canadian. It has the 3800II, 4t65e transmission, recaro seats, stiff suspension, H rated tires(max speed 130mph) and the odometer says 147k km (92k miles). After taking it for a drive last week I found no apparent flaws such as pulling to one side, engine whine or rough shift points. To my surprise when I check the dipstick for the automatic transmission fluid, it is showing bright pink fluids which indicates the fluid is fairly new.

What do you have to say about this folks? The price is right and the car is in relatively good shape, I know it would be hard pressed to find a late model vehicle in the 5000 dollar (CDN) price range, and this one has the 3800II in it which is a big plus. I have always enjoy the power the 3800II outputs, and its smoothness and reliability. Anyways, I would like to take the car home next week unless somebody comes with a convincing reason for me not to.

This is my first time car shopping, I would appreciate any suggestions and comments. Thanks in advance.

Basil
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    I have been offered a position to sell Buicks...I have never sold cars before...I have my ideas how to address potential customers...what would anybody like to see in their Buick Salesperson???
    ...just kidding :-) But this is the truth - New Buick buyers would probably be on their third/fourth car already and would probably know as much (if not more) about cars. The cars practially sell for themselves.
    ...What I have read and heard - the cops really abuse the body - especially the car-doors. There could also be some under-body damage - have it checked out by a mechanic. Also, electricals are a major problems in all GM used cars.

3800V6 is really a workhorse and will go on and on long after the body is gone. It's thirsty for fuel, especially if you have a heavy foot like me. I think you will like it.
    My advice is to study everything you can get your hands on relating to Buick. Look up road tests done by Edmunds, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road and Track and the consumer publications. Become very knowledgeable about all things Buick. Know what cars have the 3800 V/6 with Supercharged engine (Regal and Park Avenue) Get into the specifications, know the horsepower of the engine and the torque it produces. Buick owners of today are the hot rod generation of a couple of decades ago and these things are important to them. Know what kind of gas mileage they can expect---the LeSabre can get 31+ mpg straight highway. As mentioned the average customer will be a return customer so give them credit for knowledge of prior models and their pluses and minus. Treat your customer with respect, they may be older but are brighter than most salesmen think. To sum all this up, do your home work on all the cars and the SUV and work for your customer, not against him. The days of high pressure sales are over and the older generation will walk if you try twisting their arms. In this day and age there may be 6 Buick dealer in one metro area, you gotta be the best deal in town. Work for the customers good even if you lose a little commission. Us older folks share the good deals we get, as well as the shoddy treatment we get, amongst our pier group. Dress like the customers you see coming into the show room. Good luck
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    Your sentiments are appreciated. I feel the same as you do. Buick customers have owned Buicks and they want to speak to a sales consultant who uses his ears before his mouth. These people have bought cars for many years and are not going to take any "BS" from a car salesperson.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I don't think I'd pay much attention to Car/Driver, Road/Track. They mostly write about cars most people can't afford. They don't include practical cars, especially American brands like GM. I haven't seen them mention LeSabre or Park Avenue for a long time...

Consumer Reports is biased in how they obtain information and how they present it.

I'd suggest knowning about all the competition for each model: The options the others offer, the packages they bundle to up-price the customer and the foreign brands offerings including their many short-comings and flaws.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• danieltigerdanieltiger Member Posts: 7
    I am now using regular gas in my 2002 LeSabre. The computer still says that I'm getting 21.9 miles per gallon (city driving), so, apparently it makes no difference if I use mid-grade or regular. I still get 21.9 miles per gallon. Ok fine. Another question - how about synthetic oil?
    It's supposed to extend the life of the engine indefinitely. Any thoughts out there?
    If you're not an over-the-road salesman driving hundreds of miles per week, I'd stick with changing at 2500 miles and using good old organic oil. Save the money and use it for more frequent changes especially in cold weather and very short trip drives.
    Even with synthetic it mechanics I've heard sound like it should be changed to flush the contaminants out of the crankcase if you're doing any short trip driving. To benefit from the properties and higher cost you'd need to be able to use synthetic the longer mileage.

I think you'll get quite a bit of discussion on this one. Everyone has their own ideas. Personally I have owned several cars and a truck that have gone well over 125,000 miles and have not had to do any major rework on the engine (like rings, valves etc.) I a quality brand name oil (Valvoline) of the oil weight recommended by the manufacturer and change it every 3-4,000 miles. Be absolutely sure the filter is being replaced every time. Modern engines can easily go 150,000 miles and beyond using this routine maintenance. I change the air filter every 15,000 miles. I think the synthetics are okay, but they are double or triple the cost per quart and I am not sure I like the longer wait between changes that some of them suggest. Synthetics are lighter weight and should make starting easier in cold climates. But I personally don't think they are needed if we stick with the manufactures suggestions and change routine. If you drive straight highway (like a salesman) you could change oil out to 5,000 miles. It is the stop and go driving that gunks up the oil. Many times the engine doesn't even get warmed up when we drive three miles, shop and then three miles home. I am sure some will disagree with this but it is my two cents worth.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I screwed up a link (thanks for letting me know, macarthur2), so I'm deleting that message reposting it here:

A keyword search for "synthetic oil" turned up quite a bit of discussion on this subject, indeed. ;-)

I'm surprised to see that most of the discussions are closed, but they are still available to be read. Play around with other keywords if you want, and you'll probably find lots more.

Here is a link to an active discussion which is over on the Maintenance & Repair board:

Synthetic motor oil

This time I remembered to check it and it does go to the right place.

:)
  • careercarguycareercarguy Member Posts: 23
    Hi,

A Buick showroom is a very "civilized" atmosphere in comparison to higher volume makes.

The demographics of the LeSabre, Park Ave clientele are customers at or beyond retirement age and are very interested in being taken care of, and want to be assured that someone will be there to attend to their needs after the sale.

Almost all Buick customers have been purchasing Buick's for many years and don't put up with any BS.

Most Buick salespeople here in South Florida have many years of experience and many were former dealers themselves.

If you have the opportunity to work at a Buick store, and you know the dealer has been around for a while, go for it! Don't expect to make alot of money but it a nice atmosphere to work in.

I hope this helps.

Have a great day!!
  • tbone_millertbone_miller Member Posts: 1
    Hello all: I am requesting information on a 1995 Buick Le Sabre that my grandfather recently purchased; He is having problems with the trany not shifting properly- most noteably reverse. Sometime it works sometimes it don't Is this a common problem??? Thanks T Miller
    TBone... you didn't say how many miles on the car.
    I have had 3 LeSabres - 93 with 155000 that my wife made me trade. It shifted "like new"
    It had fluid changed at 40K, 80K, and filter changed at 110K when I knew I was going to keep her a while. If fluid hasn't been changed regularly, that would be the starting point with a second change after the first. That will get out 3/4 of the old fluid.

Before going too far with transmission servicing and all that rigamarole you may just want to have the tranmission shift linkage checked for proper alignment or excessive wear. Linkage does wear out and get out of adjustment. Just a thought.
    1994 LeSabre (whoever gave it that name!) with 171,000 KM (about 106K miles). It gives jerky motions when stopped at a red light/foot on the brake. Is it the beginning of a slip?
    Is it a jerk as you start moving or while sitting still?

If it is sitting still, it could be plugs and wires. Have they been replaced?
    About 70-80K miles is enough for wires along with years or age for replacement time.
    The plugs on my 93 got replaced at 30K miles. Unless yours are the platinum tips Delco
    plus like my 98, then I replaced them at 50K (they're not good for 100k miles as advertised unless you want to stress the rest of the ignition system toward failure. New plugs fire easier.

I changed all the plugs (and paid for it - that's another story). Still the problem persists. It happens only when I am stopped (sitting still). Once I get moving - everything is fine.
    Did you put on quality, new plug wires somewhere at 70-90K miles?

• robertc6robertc6 Member Posts: 3
    Bought my third Lesabre yesterday. Included in the dealer price was ETCHING, which cost me $159. I did not want this but was forced to take it.Dealer said it was in event of theft of my car. I told him my insurance covered this but i was still forced to take it. Anyone hear of this

Bob
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    You should not have been "forced" to pay for this. You could have walked away from the deal if the dealer was not willing to negotiate. I guess you wanted the car enough to pay for it, which is what the dealer is hoping for. In my opinion, whenever the dealer adds on options and costs which are not necessary (and etching is not) it is just their way of making some money. I have found dealers that add up to $1300 for "paint protection" and other garbage. This gives them more leeway to bargain. You've got to be firm with these guys and be willing to walk if you don't feel like you're getting a good deal (but at the same time be reasonable about it).
  • robertc6robertc6 Member Posts: 3
    thanks mim did need the car thats why i went along with it but will search different dealewrs next time and plan on complaing to gm also.
    I was actually being forced to buy etching by a new GM dealer. I flatly refused. The agent called the manager - who admitted this is a sort of admin fee and all others were doing it as well. I said no way and got ready to leave - the manager backed off.

You should NEVER allow yourself to be forced to buy something that you do not want. Now that it has happened - you owe it to yourself and other car buyers to make a complaint to BBB and/or local consumer club.
  • rhraaschrhraasch Member Posts: 9
    Yesterday, after I had washed my 2000 Buick LeSabre, I immediately put it in my garage and didn't use it until this morning. My problem is when I started it up this morning and put it in reverse and started to back up I got a very loud thunk noise from under the left front. It feels like something is stuck and then it loosens up when I back up. I took the car to the dealer and described this problem about three months ago and they said I needed a new motor mount which was replaced under warranty. I didn't have the problem with the thunk noise again until this morning. Has anyone had a similar problem? Rodger
  • zhiyuanyanzhiyuanyan Member Posts: 2
    HI, all

I am in the market for a used car. I test-drived this 99 Buick LeSabre Custom at a dealer. The car runs okay, and the car was clean inside/outside. All the parts look very clean under the hood. The only concern is that the car has 93000 miles on it. I owned a 90 Buick LeSabre before and my impression is that the 3800 engine can run 150k miles if taken care of properly. This car has 3800 II(?) engine. Is this mileage a problem? I will also appreciate it if you can comment on the common problems 99 LeSabres have so that I can pay more attention when I revisit the dealership.
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Member Posts: 38
    Hey, nice to see you on here again my friend. I just bought a 2003 Chevy Impala LS to replace my 1995 Mercury Mystake GS. Will be picking it up tomorrow.

Neil
    Hello everyone,

I need some help for Colleen, a friend of mine in the Chevy Imapla forum. In the "Chevy Impala Owner's Forum" (Meet The Owners), she asked me about extended warrenties for her 2001 car. I really don't know that much about them, so if anyone can help her out, it would be most appreciative. Thank you very much.

Neil
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If she hasn't already, why don't you suggest she check out our Finance, Warranty & Insurance board. There are loads of helpful discussions and lots of good information there.
    Hello everyone, I have run into a problem with my 2000 LeSabre Limited and I was wondering if anyone else has had it and how they fixed it. Today, I tried to program another button on my HomeLink transmitter. It was for a Garage Door Opener with a Rolling combination of numbers, that is the combination changes each time you open the garage door. After I completed programming it, the HomeLink button lights up when pushed, but the garage door does not open. Any suggestions to help me fix the problem would be appreciated. Thank you.

Neil
    http://www.homelink.com/program/hlmanual.pdf
    This is a printable pdf file on HomeLink's website and it explains how to program rolling codes.

Hope this helps.

Those are the exact instruction's in the GM Owner's Manual. Thank's for your help, but I think I'll have to reprogram all the button's again.

Neil
    I reprogrammed the channel's over the weekend and they both work fine.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Hi, I'm new to the Buick board. Traded 00 Impala LS for 03 LeSabre Custom, Ming Blue, only option is side air bags. Le Sabre is a total different car than the Impala LS. I like the smoothness and quiet. Fuel mileage is 28.2, 30.7, and 26.9 which satisfies me. Just turned 1000 miles. Only item wrong was the positive battery cable routing. Surprised to find the battery under the rear seat but I think it is a good location. The pos battery cable was out of place because the assembler did not attach to plastic clip to the stud sticking up from the floor. The lateral wire frame of the rear seat cushion was squashing the cable to the floor pan. May not have ever caused a problem, but there must be a reason for the cable routing and the clip. Buick falls short in not having a storage pocket in the back of the front seats. My 97 Lumina had 2, My 00 Impala LS had 2. I purchased from a "no haggle dealer" Bill Marsh Automotive Group in Traverse City Mi. because of their good service reputation. My expectations are high and so far the dealer and the car has met them.
    I have had my LeSabre for just over three years and here is my pros and cons for what they are worth. 2000 Lesabre Custom with prestige pkg, leather package, 16" alloy wheels.
    Pro: This is a very nice car. My wifes Mom was dying in New Mexico and this constituted about 9 round trips from here in Oklahoma City (503 miles each way). On the highway it cruises 70-75 mph without breaking sweat (at 2100 rpm). Straight highway mileage is 31.4mpg. Great handling and very stable in our ever present crosswinds. Around town (rural/city) it averages right at 22mpg. Quiet. Handles curves at speed better than I ever expected, just hunkers down and goes around. It has never been back to the dealer for anything. Does not have gran touring pkg but I think the 16" wheels give it better handling. Surprisingly good acceleration for 3500 pound car. Titanium blue with blue leather trim is very pretty. I like the gage pkg with tachometer and computer trip monitor/oil press. temp and time to oil change features. Here in Okie land the air conditioner is great but the medium blue heats up pretty good on hot days.Heater/defroster is excellent. I like the AM/FM/CD/cassette player but many others on this site complain about it.
    Cons: The front cup holder in the center armrest is a joke. Two regular 8oz coffee cups side by side is the biggest it can handle. It is not adjustable just a flip up with 2 holes in the end of the armrest. I guess not many Buick designers drink "Big Gulps" from 7-11. With the prestige pkg and leather option I was stunned to find no center arm rest in the rear and no rear cup holders at all! No seat back storage pouches. The rear seat cushions are made from fresh marshmellows--stale marshmellows would be firmer. No remote gas filler release. (This thing stickered at $27K come on Buick). The standard wheels on the Custom model are the UGLIEST wheels I have seen lately. OEM tires will go at 40,000 miles --Generals.
    I am greatly pleased with the car, many people compliment the color especially when freshly waxed. But the interior design is not what I expected in this price range. I hope they improved the 2001 and newer models interiors.
    That's my 2 cents worth.
    I know what you are talking about...though I have a much older car than yours. This car really grows on you and you get used to the comforts so quick. I have been debating replacing it with something more spicy and have been taking test drives of Passat, Accord, Camry and Mazda. After taking these cars around for a few block - I realize that they are not so much better after all and all have much less space. I have two kids, one in car-seat and it is so comfortable for them too. Now, I am thinking of spending some money on it; put some new struts and a stabilizer bar, larger wheels (17-18 inch may be) and the car will give me another....well...three years at least.
    I think you will really like the Lesabre. In your entry you said you paid extra for side air bags??? They are standard equipment--at least on my 2000 Lesabre Custom (front seats). Also I have never heard of a "no haggle" Buick dealer--Around here that is almost always a Saturn dealer. Here in the Oklahoma City area Lesabres are discounted $3-5000 below manufactures suggested price on the window sticker. Has anyone else experienced no haggle Buick dealers? Anyway congratulations I think you'll grow to love the LeSabre.
    The No- haggle dealer that sold me the Buick is also a Saturn Dealer at a different Traverse City location. He also has a Pontiac/GMC and Chrysler Dealership that he runs the same way. Service for all but the Saturn is done at the Buick store. The local rebates on the Buick are $3000 from GM. This dealer discounts down from there to about $100 - to$150 over invoice. He shows you the Kelly Blue Book for your trade but, if your trade is exceptionally clean and he wants it for his lot he ups it. I receive the GM discount (GMS) priceless the $3000 rebate which ended up at $20452 plus tax & title fee. The side air bags are listed as option AJ7 for$350 MSRP. I wonder it these were standard in early production. I understand that vehicle content was reviewed and in some cases standard equipment was made optional. This was a fresh car built in March 03 at the Orion Township Michigan plant. I added a beige pin stripe about 1/2" wide that sits in the grove below the side rub strip. The pin stripe follows the grove all the way around the car. The beige stripe on the Ming Blur is distinctive and I can find my Buick anywhere. Enjoy the ride.
  • oregonajoregonaj Member Posts: 21
    Just getting back to car shopping after a couple of months diversion. Thanks for all the help and good answers to my previous post on 2003 LeSabre Custom options. One more question - does anyone know whether there's room for a full size spare in the space where the "Limited Use" spare is stored.

Thanks, Jim
    I read on a car-related website that a LeSabre Ultra, supercharged, is coming in 2004. Hope that's true. Might bring more youthful buyers into the Model.

Add some good colors, like the bright Crimson Red with chrome wheels, and it's going to bring down the average age of the buyers and bring more people in. So many of the colors are, well...., bland. And the same colors are there year after year. There's more to life than sand brown and silvers!

Look at the LeSabres lined up in a dealer's lot, then look at the Accord's colors.

Regular size tire is several inches to large in diameter and width to fit in donut hole. Why would you want regular size spare? I have used donut spares many times at hyway speeds and find no problems. I like the added space that a regular size spare used to take up. I have a 1993 Fleetwood Brougham with a regular size spare and I don't like it. Takes to much room and is very heavy and awkward to remove, and install. IMIDAZO/97---I agree with you on the lack of striking LeSabur colors. I think it would help Buick broaden their owner base. Anyone have slight gear noise at 29 - 30 mph? It does not seem to be getting louder after 2000 miles. I'm not sure I want a technician tearing things apart chasing a noise. Enjoy the ride.
    I'd love to see it in a metallic british racing green with the optionally alloy wheels----sharp
    British Racing Green on a LeSabur. Maybee add a British flag on the roof. That would be a hoot.How about real wire wheels. Enjoy the ride.
    Have you seen the Jaguer sedan that looks very similar to the LeSabre? I wish I could recall the model. Similar from the side, rear and front.
    Its the 2003 X type Jaguer
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I'm sure Jaguar would be mortified if their motorcars were compared to Buicks! (And maybe a few Buick owners as well!)
  • t2deant2dean Member Posts: 2
    I had been noticing that my car would not start up right away. Some days it would work and other days it would take 4 or 5 seconds before it started. I brought it into the shop. I found out it was a leaking fuel pressure regulator.
    Just passing it along in case anyone else had this issue.
    I _used_ to buy Fords in my younger days. Wouldn't have one now, so Jaguar, Volvo, whatever else -- not interested.
    Is that X type the one that looks like a Taurus???