Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi from Edmunds.com's PR Department.

A journalist from one of the country's largest newspapers has asked us for help finding consumers who recently purchased a Lexus L430, Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series after considering a more expensive vehicle, or anyone who recently considered purchasing a luxury vehicle, but decided not to because of the economy.

If you fit this description and care to share your story, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com and/or rpopely@tribune.com with your e-mail, phone number, city and state of residence, and a brief description of your experience. The journalist promises to keep you identity hidden at your request.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

PLEASE NOTE: Respond by clicking on the email addresses above. Responses posted here will NOT be seen by the folks who want to hear from you. Thanks!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I found this at AMI AutoWorld Weekly at this address: http://www.autoworldweekly.com/RTarchive/2001/2001LexusComparo.htm

I hope that you enjoy the site. I am sorry if it has been posted before.

• farenheit451farenheit451 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a used '98 BMW 740iL. 64,000 miles - asking $35,000. Standard features. Any recommendations or knowledge about this model would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome!

You might also want to check out the discussion at this link: BMW 7 Series. There is a lot of information there already that may be helpful to you, and it would be a good place to ask your questions.

Good luck.

Pat
    Host
  • farenheit451farenheit451 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice.

The link answered a lot of my questions without having to even ask.
    Glad to hear it - but please feel free to join in the conversation. I'm sure the folks there would love to hear from you.

Pat
    Host
  • mike_542mike_542 Member Posts: 128
    Does anyone here know any more information about the 2002 or '03 BMW 745i? I'm guessing it has a 4.5 liter Double VANOS engine mated to a 5 speed Steptronic. I think there may be design clues from the BMW Z9 concept and X coupe concept. Too bad there are no M-style mirrors.

For the Bimmer site about it, go to:

http://www.bmwfilms.com/site_layout/machines.asp?MachID=7&Nav=1

A good place here in Town Hall to ask that question is our active discussion at this link: BMW 7 Series. Why don't you drop by and ask if the folks following that conversation have any information for you?

Pat
    Host
  • jbreevesjbreeves Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1998 740iL on eBay. It had 59,XXX miles, and I got it for a mere $30,600. The car is in outstanding condition and is a dream to drive. It has exceeded my lofty expectations. If you would like to know specifics, you may email me at mailto:reeves@ezipp.com

Here it is:

http://ezipp.com/newride.jpg

As I type this, there are fifty 7 series bimmers on eBay.

http://listings.ebaymotors.com/aw/listings/list/all/category6978/index.html
    Brent Reeves

• fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    After fading out of serious contention in this class over the last few years, I think that the new 2002 Q45 deserves serious consideration. It is a contender, if not a winner...... It is quiet and comfortable, It is faster than the other cars listed on this board. It has more technology than the other cars in this discussion. And, the fit and finish and quality of materials is excellent. To top it off, it is far less expensive than the competition. Before anybody dismisses this new car, they should drive one. It is quite a car.
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    I agree with you on the new Q. At first, I wrote it off as another Japanese wannabe. Then, when I started to learn about it, I became more interested. 340 hp engine, competent chassis, understated styling and an interior to rival the best. As many know, I am the first to dismiss Japanese cars, but it has gone back to it's more sporting roots (if you can call 3 model years roots) and has come out a fantastic car. I think it deserves serious consideration, but than the LS430 in my opinion.~ A.R.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I too like the new Q, but I can't get over it's looks. I saw one in white the other day it was just plain ugly. Too long and unbalanced. I must say I really like the interior, engine and features, but the styling will keep it behind in the race. The LS430 is bland, but the Q offends. Plus the new 2002 Altima looks like a minature version. I really want to like this car, but oh well....

M
    I too had a hard time initially with the new Q's front end, but the looks have grown on me. I now find it quite well executed. It is unique and attractive in its own understated way. It packs so much power, luxury, and amenities in a $50,000 car. It competes favorably (and exceeds in many ways) the 7 series, E class and LS430 at much more $$$.
    That is true, it's a good bargain, but ugh the looks of it............

M
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    The more you see it the better it looks.
    I too hated the looks at first, but someone on my street has one, and seeing it everyday has changed my view of it. Sure, it's no S-Class, 7-Series (have you seen the spy pics of the newest one, my god is that a beautiful car), or the king, Jaguar XJ, but I like it better than the LS and the Audi A8. Now, when you factor is price, amenities and driving dynamics, it is right up there with the 7 and S. I think it is a fantastic addition to this market~ A.R.
    I think the new Q will be acccepted much like the Lexus GS series in the appearance dept. Many people had a hard time with the looks of the GS at first, but it has many admirers now. At least the Q45 is unique and it is not a derivative clone (like the current LS430 and the last generation Q45) By the way, I agree that the Jag XJ is a very pretty car. However, after having spent time behind the wheel of both a current XJ8 and an 2000 XJR. I have to state that I do not care for the relatively cramped driver's quarters and the low seating position. As beautiful as Jaguar XJ's are, I just do not think that the cabin space and seating position compare to the other cars in its class.
    The Jaguar XJ is a much different car than it's teutonic cousins. I think style over substance takes precedent sometimes. Their ergonomics are pitiful, interior space is dismal for a car that size (the new X-Type has about as big a back seat as an XJ, and a bigger trunk, figure that out), but the way the car is executed in terms of a design standpoint, it has no peers.
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    any day -- based on styling alone.

"Ain't no accountin' fer taste," said the old lady as she kissed the cow....
    Let me ask has anyone see the new Q in black? Black always makes less-attractive cars look better in my opinion. Arcoates stated it best when it comes to Jaguar. They have always put form before function, the Germans do it the other way around. That is why a Jaguar has never been the "best" car in a head to head test with it's peers, but that is what capitivates many a buyer into a Jaguar...the simple style of it. However that is changing under Ford's direction they are becoming more and more functional now, and so far they still look like Jaguars. The reports on the X-Type are good so far, but I hope the interior is more Jaguarish than the S-Type, which to me doesn't match the XJ at all.

M
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    Yes, seen a 2002 Q45 in Black exterior at a Infiniti dealer 2 weekends ago. IMO, it looks better in black, but still is unnattractive to my eyes. The chromeless grille and oddly shaped and sized frontal features just don't work.

The Jaguar/Audi rear end knock-off is nice though. But the interior is only so-so. The interior design is nice but the car exudes a overall sense of being cheap-er. The interior materials definately are not up to par with the Lexus LS430. There is alot of fake chrome which really does look fake, even from far away. And the doors don't close with much authority..they feel tinny.

I saw some other colors also on the lot, the Q45 really doesn't look like a $55,000 car in any color.

In the same compound is a Mercedes dealer and I checked out the 2002 C-class. That car has a pretty hideous interior also. Cheap dash materials, cheap feeling switchgear. Only nice part of interior is the wood trim. Nor is the exterior good looking. Couldn't Mercedes have come up with a original rear-end design while still making it look like a Mercedes? The answer is yes, but they didn't. for some reason, the exterior proportions just don't look right.

BTW, I stepped into both the Mercedes dealer at about 5:15 and the Infiniti dealer at about 5:30pm on a Saturday afternoon. The Mercedes showroom had lots of customers buzzing around and a courteous salesperson actually got up from his chair to introduce himself and give us his card. Meanwhile, at the Infiniti dealer, only 1 or 2 customers prowled the showroom floor. Saw about 6 salespeople with their butts parked behind their desks, and none bothered to get up!
    I found the materials is the base LS430 to be of similar quality to those in the Q45. The upscale fancy Lexus options packages do have finer materials, but they are way over 60k, so you pay for them. I find the interior materials in the new Q to be quite nice. In fact, the plentiful wood trim is quite real and very beautiful. As for "fake chrome".....huh? There is a small bezel around the clock and the face of the cassette unit, which appear to be made of real chrome...not much other "fake chrome" to speak of
    tap the face of the cassette unit. It's obviously fake, and so is the bezel around the clock. In fact, most cars that have chrome interior pieces are really not chrome. For example, the chrome grilles today on most cars are really not made out of chrome but are plastic. What I don't like in the Q45 is that the fake chrome looks and feels fake.
    There is always plenty of room to debate aesthetics. I realize that this is not the discusssion board for the Mercedes C class, but I disagree, and think it is a nice looking car. It has true Mercedes character. As for the new Q45, the clock and chrome cassette bezel that you nitpick were cited in one automotive review of the new Q45 as an lovely and elegant touch. They look like real shiny mirror-like chrome to me too. Oh well........
    Well I have to say that I'm not completely crazy about the new C's interior, my problem is with the seats themselves. They aren't any different whether or not you get full leather or not. The styling on the other hand is simply gorgeous. The front end does slope a little much for a Benz, but overall it's one of the best looking cars in the class.

M
    C-class: Front end definately good looking. Rearward of C-pillar, hideous & unoriginal.

BMW 3-series: best looking in class.

Audi A4: Current: still better looking than the 2001 C-class.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Since I'm now over 50 and have recently become a grandfather, I have started to consider trading my 97 328iC for a larger car. Pretty much narrowed it down to either a 740i or the LS400. Probably will buy an off lease certified used car so I'm looking at 98 or 99 models. I would be interested in hearing from current owners of these models related to any problems, likes, dislikes, etc. Thanks.
    C-class: gorgeous proportions and details -- much better than the S.

3-series: boring, boring, boring. Time for a change.

Audi: Elegant, spare, sporting and beautiful. As always, the class of the field, styling-wise.

Fire away....
    3-series boring, sir you must be blind. I agree that the C-Class is a nice car, but you cannot call the BMW boring. Conservative maybe, but so is an Audi. Whenever styling is concerned, BMW always finishes 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd. Obviously you are into the flash of a 3-pointed star.~ A.R.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I have to agree the 3 series isnt boring, but it could stand to be a bit more aggressive. I really like the look of the M3, possibly with the Flared out fenders :) Much better, but then again it is an ///M.

I dont care for the rear of the 3 as it looks like a fish from the side. And I'm going to have to say that the new "planned" 5-Series if it is going to look as planned will look rather ugly. I prefer the current 5-series design.

Robert
    I just did!

I've also called it "pleasant," which is about as far as I can go with the current generation. It's a logical continuation of the previous generation, but enough is enough already. Time for a change.

The new C is a quantum leap over the previous gen, which I considered a cardboard box.

Audi usually wins the styling kudos in the auto mags, by the way -- not that I give a tinker's you-know-what about what they say (except when they agree with me, of course).
    You're ignorance makes yourself look bad, not me and my "bogus" claims.~ A.R.
    Went back over the last ten posts and didn't see where anyone called you "bogus"....

(Oh yeah -- the possesive is spelled "your")
    My "bogus" comment was meant as sarcasm. And I am sorry that I made a slip up with my spelling you're/your. I didn't we were now attacking spelling and grammar!~ A.R.
    that since we are discussing perceptions of a particular vehicle, we could all recognize that perceptions will vary from person to person - that doesn't make any of us wrong, it just makes us the different folks that we are.

It also seems to me that we need to get back to sharing our opinions of the vehicles and withholding our critical commentary of other posters.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    badtoy, I apologize for calling you ignorant. BMW is my favourite brand, and when someone says something as controversial as that, with no proof (as far as mags go), then I get a little hot. Hopefully no harm done~ A.R.
    ...a bit of spirited discussion can be fun, however, isn't this discussion group suppossed to be about high end sedans, (not C class vs. BMW 3 series) I am also wondering if the new Q45 can at least get enough respect to be added to the topic title....?
    I was just going to pose that question. I have before me the new issue of R&T where they pitted the LS430 against the Q45 and the Q came out on top. That proves it there that the Q has come back with a vengeance and has caught the attention from the auto community. I love it, and I usually detest the young upstarts from Japan. It has a great exterior, a very sumptious interior and the driving dynamics to put the LS and maybe even the S-Class to shame. What do others think?~ A.R.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    The Q will win the reviews, and the LS will take almost all the sales. Go figure.

The reason of course is that the Q is (again) being promoted as a hot rod (see their ads), and the LS buyer isn't very interested in performance and handling - what they're really buying in an LS is what a Cadillac SHOULD be (hey, that's a take off on the Lincoln phrase, isn't it?) - a silent, rock solid, reliable, quite powerful, and luxurious large car that doesn't cost as much as a Mercedes.
    Well, the most recent Motor Trend did a comparo of the Audi A8L, Seville STS, Jaguar XJ8 VP, Lexus LS430, Infiniti Q45, & Mercedes-Benz S-class. The Benz came out on top, and the lexus a second, I would conclude. They liked the Q45, but basically said it had some major flaws.
    Infiniti actually took on a much more dangerous rival in BMW than Lexus did with Mercedes when they were first introduced -- and they're doing the same today. They hope, I imagine, that they will syphon off some LS430 buyers -- but that's tough too, given the level of performance in the new LS.

I think the new Q interior is really atractive -- but once again, the LS interior has just won a designers award for best new car interior, and eveyone seems to love it.

I'd say they have their work cut out for them. I do hope they make their mark, though, because more choices for all of us is always a good thing.

ar: thanks for the apology. Matter forgotten. =O)
    Well after looking at it again the newest issue of MT I'm sold that the car is terminally ugly. That small picture on page 67 (bottom right) shows just unbalanced the car is, ugly mudflaps and all. What a styling mess. The Benz, Audi, Jaguar and Cadillac take the styling here, quite easily. The Q's interior is just the oposite, simply georgous. I don't like how only the front section of the steering wheel is wood, whereas the others are wood all the way around, but that's minor of course. My official verdict on the Q: If you can stand the looks of it, buy it". Another question, where are the 340hp hiding at? I've been waiting on someone to actually test the Jaguar Vanden Plas SC, what a car, XJR performance with the long-wheelbase luxury. Perfect for Jaguar devotees. All the A8 lineup needs now is the W12 motor that is available in Europe. Cadillac did especially good considering it's price and fwd handicap, it posted the best slalom speed, with the least finesse...exactly the point a many have tried to make to the Cadillac fans for the last 2 years. The S430 did good considering it's low hp in this group, and the Lexus performed as expected...the silent/strong type. BMW was suspicious by it's absence. Ah, but at the end of it all it's either the Lexus or the Benz....Mercedes does it again, by the narrowest or margins. However I can see the Lexus being the car of choice for some considering it's feature content per dollar, against the S. Now if I can just actually shop at this level....

M
    "Now if I can just actually shop at this level...."

I hear ya. I wish that too.
    There is a difference between dreaming and reality, especially if you really are in a position to shop for such luxury class cars. I am not just wishing and dreaming about these cars, so price and value does make a big difference........ If I was still a dreamer, I would go with the Mercedes, but since I am a real buyer I will take the value and content of the new Q45.
    I guess not alot of dreamers, and alot of real shoppers since the S-class handily clobbers the Q45 in sales.
    Meanwhile, the price difference between the S class and the Q45 would probably equal the cost of your Honda.
    Little touchy? aren't we?
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    When the new S-Class came out, I was initially very impressed by the new sleek bodywork and low stance, compared to the 'huge' previous S-class. It's certainly a graceful looking car.

However, now I am beginning to consider it a liability somewhat, because of, believe it or not, the popularity of SUVs. It's hard to believe that the Lincoln Navigator has achieved quite a 'social status' considering it's a Ford truck with and tons of leather without an exposed bed. Why is this? I think it's because people really like the high seating area, the high roof, and the imposing presence of the vehicle, and of course its towing capacity if you have a boat or horse trailer (both also status symbols).

I mention this because some have said the LS430 is too tall, but I think Lexus realized that people LIKE having lots of head room (an ongoing complaint about Japanese cars), and like not having to struggle to get in and out of a vehicle.

What do you think? Does Mercedes have a beautiful design that is in some ways less functional?
    NOt really, considering the S-class sedans have about as much headroom as the LS430.
    Of course not. Mercedes' designs have always and still are functional first. It is said that Mercedes always built their cars to allow you to keep your hat on while seated. This was easily true of the previous cars, I'd have to test the theory our with the new C and S cars.

M