Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• krl2krl2 Posts: 5
    Gas mileage around town 16-18 mpg. Highway 24-26 mpg. Towing 2700 lb.trailer on highway also 24-26 mpg. Very happy about this. Van has 49,000 miles on it.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Very mixed driving. It included one trip, but then lots of city driving too.
  • My 2005 Sedona van does pretty well on the highway (about 26mpg) but around town is awful (usually about 15-16 but sometimes as low as 13) I know of others taht do the same..
  • On mostly Highway I am getting 23.2 mpg
    Got 26.5 going up to CT, with mixed in town driving while I was there.

Got an even better 27+ coming back, though that was all highway.

Average speed were probably 65-75, and keeping those down helps a lot.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    2006 Sienna easily gets 28 to 29 MPG on long round trips. Winter driving KILLS gas mileage. :sick: Overall average for 25,705 miles is now 23.4 MPG. :shades:
    At what speeds?

I can break 30 if I stay under 55mph. Not easy around here, people tailgate you.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Speed Limit on I-15 in Utah, Nevada, and California is 75 MPH in most of Utah, and 70 MPH on I-15 in Nevada and California (except for construction areas). Interstate 15 in Arizona in the Virgin River Gorge in Northwest Arizona is 55 MPH.

We set the Sienna Cruise between 72 and 77 MPH on these trips except for 55 MPH through the Virgin River Gorge.

People still tailgate when I drive at or above the speed limits in all 4 states but I am always in the right lane except when passing trucks on the long uphill stretches. :shades:
  • I just got home from a road trip, avg 70 mph with cruise control on....a few slow downs from traffic. MPG 27 .
  • jona57jona57 Posts: 190
    Lease ending on this van & I've kept close records. Ave in city 17-20mpg (smooth driving-no jackrabbit starts), ave highway 70-75mph runs 23-5mpg and 2-3 mpg higher at 55-60mph. BTW these are ACTUAL ave gas tank fill-up numbers over last 15K miles under all conditions (i.e. not downwind, downhill, drafting 18 wheelers, etc.).
    BTW- trip computers on most vehicles read high mpg. With recent spike in gas prices this was active topic of discussion at various Holiday parties. ALL claimed their vehicles' computers OVERstated actual mpg in real-world driving (inc. GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler Hyundai, Nissan).

New model with bigger, more powerful 4L engine may do a bit better according to EPA, and at least 1 car rag

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/112_0812_2008_chrysler_town_and_coun- try_update_2/index.html
    On my Sienna, I've calculated both on several occasions, and perhaps surprisingly mine is very accurate, usually within 0.1 mpg, and not always high, either.
  • BC_ATLBC_ATL Posts: 2
    I've had the car since new and regularly serviced by the dealer. Last month I noticed a sudden drop in fuel efficiency. I used to get 520+ miles on a tank now I can barely get 300!!

I just had the car serviced for the 60k interval but the efficiency has not imrpoved. I keep the tires inflated to the reco level and only use gas from BP.

The dealer said they can run a test but it would cost $200+ and take several days. They also said sometime the gas station changes their supply to an inferior quality.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or knows what I can do?

Thanks
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,678
    was that just the one tank? or was it repeated fill-ups that returned that mileage.

does the van perform normally? Is it sluggish, jerking, smoking, etc?

Did you run the tank dry recently (gunked injectors) ?

I'm assuming you're driving the same as before...i.e. you haven't started idling for an hour to pick up kids...or sitting idling waiting for bank/fast food/medication -- or anything else that is a convenience.

Inferior gas? not sure a station would want to switch to that...

Not being a mechanic...I'd initially think it's filters (air)...I'd start checking the cheapest thing first...

Sounds odd for an 06...
    Atl = Atlanta?

It's not *that* cold there, is it? That could certainly explain a drop of 2-3 mpg or so, especially with short trips.

My trip computer shows the average mileage drops for the first 3-4 miles or so of each trip I take now (it's been sub-freezing in the AM lately). Then it'll go back up once the engine is warm.

So short trips could kill mileage, if the engine never reaches operating temps.

Other questions - do you still see the ECO light come on when you coast to a stop, if you have VCM?
  • BC_ATLBC_ATL Posts: 2
    I had the car serviced last week and had the filters changed. I've checked the tires too and all is okay with them.

I'm running my own test using another brand of gas and depending upon what happens I may go back to the dealer for a full diagnostics. I found some info on www.fueleconomy.gov that says it could be some things not normally checked by a standard service.
  • 96ODvn96ODvn Posts: 1
    30-32 MPG on non-stop freeway
    23-25 MPG rush hour stopo n go freeway
    20 MPG city stop n go
    has only 49K miles because mom just didn't like it and only used it when her other car was in the shop. What sort of mileage after 90K?
  • I have a 2003 Grand Caravan which now has 113000 trouble free miles. I get about 22 mpgs all around and 25.5 on the highway witth cruise set at about 69 mph. On a trip out west last year we covered 11998 miles loaded down and pulling a pop up camper and we averaged for the whole trip 21.9 mpg. :) I was extremely amazed at this especially with all the mountains we climbed... and use of E85. All of this was done on secondary roads. Using the E85 gave me a rough idle :confuse: but really did not notice much difference in performance then started to mix it about 50/50 and ran great throughout the midwest... :)
    Took a road trip for a family reunion and hauled some seriously heavy loads, often luggage for the 17 people that were there.

Mileage was usually around 24mpg or so. It was mostly highway but higher speeds than usual due to the 70 mph speed limits in Florida (I did 75 or so, but my dad was goin' 90 :surprise: ).
  • ninjaininjai Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.8L V6, 7 seat.
    I was driving about 65 mph behind a semi truck. The truck broke the wind for me and I was able to average 33mpg.

Normally I drive about 69 to 73mph and average around 27, maybe 28mpg.

I always use cruise control because it saves the most on gas.

I use 89 and sometimes 91 Fuel, also it helps to have an awesome air filter, so I got a K&N Air Filter ($45), not bad since it cost $25 for a standard air filter, plus they are not reusable. We need to save money everywhere, so investing into a $45 filter which is reusable, washable, and guaranteed for 1 million miles, you really cannot go wrong. Pays for itself after 3 tanks of gas at least. :lemon: :shades:
    Drafting large trucks definitely works. I've noticed that too, on the trip computer. They usually don't like it, though, and try to get you off their tail.

Just be careful that you don't chip a windshield from debris they may kick up - that would cancel any savings you may accumulate.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    Recent trip to Ponce, PR from Trujillo Alto, PR about 90 miles each way. 1/3 mountain roads and the rest mountain highway. Lots of climbing up for miles and back down. Steep climbs, enough to put the van down to 4th gear about 90% of the climbs.

I averaged 22 MPG overall with 4 people, A/C on, and some extra gear and about 75 - 80 MPG except uphill in 4th which I averaged 65 - 70 MPH. I think that is pretty good considering the terrain. I usually get about 25 - 27 on flat terrain with a/c at 65 MPG

Not as good MPG as others out there but much better power, comfort, and features especially to the Caravan.
    Which model do you have? They come in LX and EX, right?

I really liked the fluorescent gauges on the Entourage Limited but I don't think the Sedona got those, right? Prices were a lot higher for Limiteds when I shopped in 07, though.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    I have the Sedona LX. I did not want leather because of the climate I live in and powerdoors although nice are guaranteed to break. They never ever last. The gauges are not anything special in the Sedona but the vans drives very nice. Good power and fantastic safety, best in the industry. Don't forget you can add the nice options such as DVD and HID xenon headlight for thousands less then the dealer. This is what I did. 10.4" screen in the back hooked up to a Panasonic touchscreen in the front for less then a grand. A xenon kit cost only $160.00 Unless you really have to have the dealer options you will be better off going aftermarket. Oops that's you, you Sienna loving Toyota man... LOL. I believe the LX is also also about 200 lbs lighter then the EX.
    :D

I'm happy with my choice, though love may be a strong word for a minivan. I prefer small cars, that's why I daily-drive a Miata. :shades:
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Posts: 223
    First road trip in '08 ODY EX-L with about 500 lbs. of people and stuff. Traveled from AZ east on US 60 to NM and then up to I-40 for 250 miles to US 54 through OK, TX, Kansas to I-35 to Des Moines. Somewhat the same on way back. My GPS said I averaged 60.9 MPH on way home. Average of 7 tanks of gas was 26.5 MPG with the lowest 24.7 and the best was 28.7 on 88 octane Phillips 66 gas.
    61 mph average? The gas pedal is the one on the right. :P

Just jerking your chain, your reward was good mileage, so kudos.
  • I have a 1994 MPV with 173,000 miles; I recently drove it to Key West and back
    to Stuart FL (about 500 miles roundtrip) I got 22.88 MPG with regular gas and that
    was with the A/C on!
  • Our 2002 Cadillac Escalade with the small V-8 consistently gets 19 MPG
    on the Interstate when driving from West Palm Beach to Charleston SC.
    on Regular Gas. We will not go to a small car to get 30 MPG. It's just not
    enough of a savings for the safety and comfort that we would give up.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    27.5 mpg in a 2006 Sienna with cruise set at 75 and a/c on.

Why drive an Escalade if you want safety. Wouldn't something with a better rollover history be more appropriate?
  • zee4zee4 Posts: 2
    I have gotten 28 mpg on a 1500 mile highway trip.