Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    I am not a car salesman - i leave that in the capable hands of Cliffy. i've owned my 2000 SE-V6 very happily for 38K miles (drove from Swarthmore PA to Princeton NJ daily for work), and outside of the paint chips, have no complaints.
    Superlatives? how about a smooth ride with a 200 hp engine/manual tranny that allows me to pass the occasional slowpoke easily. A great stereo. A non-sludging engine. A car that STILL draws envious stares from my IT buddies.
    As for the Subaru - I haven't fully grown up yet, and would LOVE to rally around in a WRX: it's a rough ride w/out a moonroof and other comfort amenities, but can take a turn down a dirt road pretty well.
    Emotional about what I don't want to see? How about I researched my car choice for a year, while you bought your car in an angry haze? Dude, no matter how you slice it, your rants still are VERY anti-Toyota. If you wish to continue to bad-mouth the car/the company ad nauseum to prospective buyers/visitors, then I have no problem writing about how much I enjoy my car.
    Canc - no, my ex didn't get the car :). Marriage is an experience every guy should experience at least once...
    WebG - we'll have to agree to disagree. Just don't be surprised to see me counter you occasionally.
    And once again to the rest of the forum, my apologies.
  • webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    Anti-Toyota, no! Just expressing my opinion, and personal experience driving the Solara. Take it for what it is. If you perceive my experiance as ANTI, or bad, that's your perception of the facts I share about my driving experience. I am not anti, or pro, just sharing car talk, with other car enthusiasts. I would have appreciated hearing someone give an un-bias opinion before I became a Solara owner, and I would not have gone by reputation that Toyota makes a superior product, only to have a reality check later. I do still like the way my Solara looks, in certain light, and as far as my I.T. buddies, they all drive different cars, none Toyota (maybe a Lexus or two), and some drive a different car daily, to suit their mood, or the season! As far as envious stares, I think not! Would like to think so, but dont get 'em around here.

Happy Motoring!
  • curlyqcurlyq Member Posts: 54
    I owned a new 1999 Camry for 11 months prior to buying my new 2000 Solara. There is NO comparison in the paint quality between these cars made less than a year apart. The Camry had few chips, comparable to other brands I've owned. The Solara however, has the worst paint quality of any car I've owned. That's the facts. Plain and simple!
    Curly
  • pjksrpjksr Member Posts: 111
    Over on the Sienna board, we discussed fuel filters. There seem to be TWO filters on the Sienna. One is a "fuel pump filter," which is inside the fuel tank. The other is on the fuel line, under the hood, in easy reach.

Maybe someone could check their Solara; please correct me if I have this wrong. I think the "liefetime" filter is the one located at the pump, while the line filter could be changed if need be...
    I began checking this Solara forum in '99, and back then there were very few complaints about the 'new' Solaras, and a few differing opinions from the Honda Accord coupe owners. There would have been very little for you to base a judgement. Back then, the complaints were about the itty-bitty coin box and the lack of 'road-feel'. Your car, by far, is the most problematic that I've read in this forum.
    I'm not a big believer in 'bullet-proof' reliability from any carmaker, hence, I don't push for imports vs. domestics, or Toyota vs. anybody else. I'm just very happy with my car.
    Is there any possibility that you can trade yours in and get an Acura CL from a different dealer? Or perhaps try the Infiniti G35 or Seabring?
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Very interesting information about the fuel filters. I'll have to check it out.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    change in the engine compartment one (most likely it is located underneath the air box) about every 60,000 miles.

The frist time it's done, let a mechanic do it, as the flare nuts are on extrememly tight.

The filter at the dealership should cost you $30. A Purolator filter should cost about $20.
  • jraysjrays Member Posts: 20
    Webguyster. It seems we struck a nerve, but you are on here constantly berating the Solara and some of us a little tired of it. I researched my car for several months, so I got exactly what I wanted and there were no surprises. I'm very happy with my 2000 SLE and have had zero problems. It's a shame you didn't have the same experience. As for my rants, there are none. I went back and checked my posts. I think you should go back and read all your posts and you may detect a trend. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm sure we will continue to hear it, but don't expect the rest of us to just sit back and let you run down Solaras like they are all as bad as yours. Not gonna happen. You're very unhappy with the car. Why keep it? Is the aggravation you feel you are going through worth it? I know you like having the last word, so have at it...
    No chance of trading, as I paid this baby off, and am not willing to take a 60-70% loss on depreciation, after 2 years, and 36,000 miles. I plan to drive it 'til the wheels fall off (not just the center wheel hub covers on the 16 inch alloys, that don't stay on), even if I get another car, and keep it as a second. If I switched brands, to say Acura, or Infinity, or even DC, I would probably loose more, and get the speech about not many people come to a , to buy a Toyota. Toyota may at least give a reasonable trade value to maintain me as a customer, or at least make it look good on paper, like there repeat buyer program, if there really is such a thing. But reality is it's a keeper, as my past trends of buying new cars every 2 years is waistfull the older I get. Yeah, I remember the coin box days! Mine isn't flush, and is too small, but that is not an issue, like it was for ral(screen name)or something like that!?!

Jrays, dude, 1 word for ya'...PROZAC!

Curlyq, I spoke to Bruce Ertmann, from the sludge forum, and he told me that the paint is different, than the other Toyotas, and Lexus. It is a common Solara compliant.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    Of the 7 Toyotas that I've owned, 2 were Camrys and I currently have a Solara. Curlyq is correct about the paint. The paint on my Solara is really bad, uneven (orange peel) and chips easily. However, in just about every other way the Solara is superior - better styling (I know this is subjective), better sound proofing, better handling, more comfortable (much less tiring on a long trip), better sound system. Also, the 97 and later Camrys have a certain plainness that the Solara doesn't.

Webguyster. Don't feel that you've been mislead about Toyota and made a mistake buying one. Every objective measurement of reliability (JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc.) shows that Toyota is one of the most trouble free cars made. This is NOT the same as every Toyota being trouble free. All it means is that a buyer is less likely to have trouble with a Toyota.
  • luphyluphy Member Posts: 31
    Was browsing through the general maintenace manual yesterday and saw that it was recommended that the differential oil be replaced at 24 months (along with coolant, ATF, air filter). Has anyone had their diff oil changed - can it be done at home - if so, where is the drain located and what fluid is required? Thanks.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The differential is connected to the transmission. After draining both the transmission and differential, they both fill through the transmission fill hole. One overflows into the other. They must be done at the same time.
    And if it's like the Sienna, you should have the engine running while draining...
    My dealer recommends I change the engine coolant. Do you, and if so, what are your change intervals?
    It's probably best to change out coolant at least every 2 years. Toyota's coolant is very good, but expensive; an alternate could be Havoline.

(If you have the 1MZ (V-6) engine, there are two coolant drains on the engine besides the radiator drain. Be sure to have some thread sealant on hand if you remove these.)
    Well I heard from "the office of the President of Toyota" today regarding my Solara's paint chipping problem. 23,000 miles and nearly 150 paint chips while driving in the Chicago suburbs and Toyota tells me my paint is NOT defective and therefore, not covered under there warranty. However they were kind enough to fax me an arbitration form. Some customer service? Guess I will have to look into other options including class action lawsuit and local TV Station "Problem Solvers". Customers should not accept this poor quality of paint when spending 20-30K on a new vehicle.

Webguyster, since you are in my area, are you interested in pursuing Channel 2 problem solvers?

Any other owners interested in pursuing a class action lawsuit over the paint chipping issue?

Lastly, has anyone gone through arbitration with Toyota? Anyone won?

A COMPLETELY UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER,
    Curly
    Just stick to Toyota.

Even if Havoline, Dexcool, etc...look somewhat red, it's not a good idea to mix coolant formulation as they may not be compatible with each other. This can (and has) damage many cooling systems in the past.
    I would, however I have a new hood after a skid under a truck, with WORSE looking aftermarket Sherwin Williams paint, at a Toyota Cetified bodyshop, in Dundee, owned by Resnick Autogroup! Chances are if you are in the area, you may have bought your car at the same dealer. Not sure if media cares, cuz they are supported by advertising, but I'm at webguyster@aol.com

P.S. Watch out, cuz theres a couple lurkers that jump on you in this thread if you give your actual experiances, or opinions with this over-priced, "Lexus like quaility" (LOL) car!

As far as arbitration, from reading the various forums, I have not heard of anyone ever winning.

IMO, you seem to be somewhat like myself. I would not mind the defects this vehicle has, if it were not as expensive as it was. If it were MSRP'd at $15,000, like a Corolla, I would be singing songs of praise, for the money, chips, and all. But the fact is, it cost much more, and factor in tax, and the bells and whistles, and you have a $30,000 plus "sport coupe", and not the "relaiable Camry genes car" Edmunds totes it as.

For you and myself, we live in the middle of the country, with 4 seasons, so for others reading, they may not understand, like, say, if they are in sunny California, or some other place that, that this car, IMO, just doesn't hold up as well as other cars I have had, at least paint quailty wise.

I do still like the simple, swoopy lines of the design!
    How bad is the driving around the Chicago area?I'm coming from the Philadelphia/SoJersey area (practically no snow this winter/drought conditions right now), so I am under the delusion that Boston has the worst roads/driving conditions/drivers.

WebG - $30K w/ bells and whistles? You mean for the convertible, right?

If you guys were able to re-do your choices, which cars would you get?

by the way - i won't join you over the paint lawsuit; a LOT of other makes with the same environmentally-safe paints have the same chipping probs. the touch-up paint doesn't bother me... but then i don't have 150 chips.

however, i will wish you both good luck if you decide to try the legal route.
    Chicago is the L.A. of the Midwest. Only nobody usually getting shot at, like in L.A.. Boston is easy driving compared to Chicago. Don't know if this is a universal joke about the seasons and driving conditions, but we have winter, and construction! The highway system was built for 2 million'ish people in the metro area, not 8 million'ish!?!

$30G's for the car. If you, or me, figure multiple taxes, title, plates, warranty, and even finance. Yeah! Look at your paperwork, cuz unless you got a REALLY, REALLY good deal, ask yourself, "How much all together did this car cost me!?!"

If I were to re-do my choices, I would have kept my 1997 Dodge Avenger, Indy RED!!! It would now have 72,000 miles on it, and I would have saved the cash! For all the minor things I did not like about that car, that resulted in me trading at 36k, the Solara is far worse build quality, IMO. As for the Avenger, it ended up being scrapped by Dodge, and rebadged Sebring Coupe, after its 5 year run!

Anyone see the 2003 Solara yet?
    If you read thru the posts in this topic you'll see that Solara owners complain about things like soft paint, steering that pulls, occasional suspension clunks. If you read similar topics on other makes of cars you'll see tranmission failures, check engine lights the keep coming on, brake problems. The Solara problems are definitely less severe. In 12 months of Solara ownership my problems have been: one loose trim piece and easily chipped paint. Solara paint is definitely not good - whether other makes have similar paint problems because new environmentally friendly paints are not durable I can't say. Maybe if you have serious mechanical problems with your car, you don't worry about how easily the paint chips.
    Thanks for everyone's comments. I agree my Solara has been trouble free except for the paint. However, because of some previous postings on this site regarding chipping, I specifically asked both the dealership and the National 800# about this problem. Both denied any problem existed. Had I know this level of chipping would occur, I would have looked at other cars. And I'm sure if I were ever to trade the car in, the paint chips would be used as a reason to lower the trade-in value of the car. Plus the touch up paint bottle and mini brush just does not lay down a level coating of paint. And lastly, what changed in the paint from my 1999 Camry to my 2000 Solara? No one has been able to answer this question.
    try this link:

http://www.langka.com

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    You say your Solara cost you $30K if you "figure multiple taxes, title, plates, warranty, and even finance" , but that is true of any vehicle, and skews the comparisons.

Also, you wrote that your 2000 with 36k miles has depreciated 60%. Seriously? From what you paid (without the above items) to what you could get for it in an average private sale today? Or even trade-in value?
    8u6hfd is right. I ordered a bottle of the Langka stuff and it works. I can still see that there used to a a chip there, but it's barely noticeable.
  • mimi919mimi919 Member Posts: 85
    My Solara SLE is a month old now and it has a very choppy ride and on many roads I can feel a vibration through the floor as well as a slight shimmy in the steering wheel...not a smooth riding car at all and I was wondering if this was normal for the Solara or if it's just my car.
    I had it to the dealer and they balanced the tires which made no improvement....dealer said it was a tire issue so I had taken it to Bridgestone tires and they re-balanced the tires and thoroughly checked each tire and found no defects in the tires.
    The dealer now wants me to have the tires road forced balanced...
    My question really is do I have a problem with my car or is the Solara a bumpy hard riding car.
    I really like my Solara and hopefully will be able to have this problem corrected.
    Sounds like the usual Solara ride. Usually either really quiet, or bone shattering! On smooth roads, like most often found in suburbia, it's smooth, but in city driving, with bumps and potholes, the ride can be jarring, often disturbing. Lot of people before did not like the Potenzas.
    The Solara has a great ride on smooth roads, but does not handle poor road surfaces well. Also, I read this in a road test somewhere on the Solara. May have been on the msn website.

I also have a 95 Camry and I've noticed that the Solara is much less tiring on long trips than the Camry. Sort of surprised because the Solara is a Camry platform. I suspect that the Solara has better seats.
  • earlgrey_44earlgrey_44 Member Posts: 21
    My first solara had two defects - a steering wheel shimmy/vibration on light braking, and an annoying steering wheel vibration around the 60 mph mark. The brake problem cleared up on its own. The wheel vibration never did, and the car was lost in a crash at about 8,000 miles before any attempt to fix the car was made.

I didn't get the impression that the vibration problem was tire related - I think the tire balance thing you were told was a red herring. My new solara (SLE) has no vibration problems at all. Tell the service manager to can the dumb tire theory and find out why your wheel shimmys! I think it's the car.

Also, ignore the "smooth or bone jarring" stuff - that's an exaggeration. The car looses it's super-smooth composure on rough roads, but it doesn't deteriorate enough to kick you or jar you like most compacts do - in bad conditions it stops behaving like a luxury car and starts behaving like a typical American intermediate car does. After all, if it was a luxury car, it would cost $30,000!
    Thanks everyone for the suggestion. I had not heard of the stuff before. Curly
    I posted this before, but nobody answered, so I hope you won't mind me posting this again, but do you change your engine coolant regularly in your Solaras? My dealer wants me to change it every 36,000 kms., and not miles.

Thanks!
    this is probably of no help, but... i remember a book or someone saying to change your engine coolant at least every two years, if not every winter. personally, i have it changed every winter.
  • bakednutbakednut Member Posts: 17
    Hey all,

was just curious as to anyone else here who decked out their Solara with TRD stage III package. If you guys are at all interested in improving cornering and handling i HIGHLY recommend lowering and geting new struts. Even with the whimpy stock wheels you will feel a huge difference. I drove mine for 2 years before decking it out. i finally have a TRUE TRD Solara complete with the supercharger.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    At Pep Boys and probably other Auto Parts stores, you can buy a little bottle of "paint leveler", found in the case with the touch-up paint. It seems to do the same thing as the Langka. It takes down fresh paint without bothering the old paint. If you screw up, you can take all the touch up paint off and try again. If it is a deep chip, you might want to put a drop of primer on first.
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    What is it composed of?I would only be interested in interior and exterior appearance items. Would the dealer have a brochure and information .. It was not mentioned at the time we bought the car. One of the flow samesperson did mention that wood trim for the Solara was available for about $450;00 and she said it with a smirk on her faface. ThanksBob.
    Use sparingly, and my suggestion, don't use the pre-wipe applicator, in case you want to remove it later. A little fake, SHINY wood goes a loooooong way! IMO, less is more, and the aftermarkets are as good as the afetrmarkets the dealer sells.
  • JGT74JGT74 Member Posts: 28
    I have an 01 Solara SE-V6 with the JBL stereo. Is anyone aware of any retrofit kits to allow XM radio reception? If there aren't any retrofit kits from Toyota, are there any aftermarket kits that anyone has tried and/or could recommend?

Thanks
    Well, after spending a tank with the fuel injector additive, the chugging, although still minor, is persistent. So I called the dealer and made an appointment to have the fuel injectors cleaned. They said they'd clean the fuel injectors as well as the throttle body. The whole procedure would cost (with labor) around $200 CDN ($140 US). Ouch.

I was thinking though that since my car was not brand new when I bought it (it had 32,000 kilometres), the guy who had it before probably put regular grade gas in it. Since I've had it, I've only put premium, and some time on ethanol. Both, in my opinion, would clean out the engine right?

In any case, it's not a big deal considering the money I saved by buying it slightly used. And I'd get a cleaner-working engine.

Does the fuel injector/throttle body cleaning seem too much? I don't even know what a throttle body is (cringe).
    Seems a bit high for throttle body and injector service. Now everyone is going to tell you how to do it yourself, without blowing up your car!?! I can't remember what I paid, somewhere around $89.00(USD) for one, and about $50 for the other, but I always do the coupon thing, or ask for a better price. It did not do anything noticable to my car, except start with an explosive sound the first few times I started it, but after that, nothing. At 32k, all the bugs should have been worked out of the car, as thats about what it took for mine, to have everything that could break, break!?! I am now almost 2,000 miles between oil changes, and nothing else has fallen off, or started to rattle, or leak!!! It's almost like that new car feeling, again! LOL

I think I said it before, but I would see if the solenoid on the tranny is okay, too!?! After all those long octane rating discussions, how could you bring that up. From the previous postings, most people don't use premium, and there cars run GREAT. I use premium always, and my car still runs.

For cars (Toyotas) with great reputations, they have many, many complaint boards, amd grumbling people around the internet.
    It sounds like a fuel injector cleaning is part of your regular maintenance. My parents never did that to any of their cars, and I haven't heard of anybody around me getting this done. This is why I was a bit skeptical to spend money on a fuel injector cleaning.

As for the whole octane issue, of course the Solara will run fine on regular grade. Premium fuel though increases mileage, reduces emissions, and doesn't deposit as much carbon in your engine. So I think the advantages are significant for about 10 cents a litre more. One of my friends has an Echo, which will also run extremely well on the cheapest gas, but she put premium in it for the same reasons I do.
    The V6, was designed for premium. Using regular..it retards the timing, and may result in less power and fuel economy.

The Camry/Solara/Echo 4 cylinder engine, on the otherhand, is designed for regular. Using premium is a waste of money:

1. You don't have a complete burn of the air-fuel mixture (more Hydrocarbons in the emissions)

2. Increased deposits (carbon)

3. Increased deposits will build up and increase the compression, thus in the future, you can only use premium.

4. To solve that problem....a de-carburization treatment ($150 to $200 US).

To prevent this....you need to advance the timing on the engine.
    Wait a minute... are you saying that using premium will carbonize my engine and have those other effects you mentioned, or do these consequences apply only to her engine (designed to run regular grade)?

One of my buddies can only run premium in his Cavalier (???). Maybe this is why?
    Basically....

If you have the V6, you don't need to worry.
    This is the first car I have ever done a throttle body cleaning, and injector service on. That was at the height of the sludge mania, so I was already starting to get on edge about maintenance, and whats good enough for Toyotas standards, so as not to void any warranty. I was used to just oil changes, gas fill ups and scheduled maintenance, until I got the Solara. If you got a chug, make the dealer drive it for a day or so, until they can feel what you mean, and see if they are able to correct the problem.

AHHHH!!! Anyone else get the 2nd SLUDGE POLICY??? I got mine!!! Will the sludge stuff go away??? If it was, and is not an issue, why does Toyota keep sending stuff???
    2nd sludge policy? Hmm, I didn't get anything about that, but then again, Toyota Canada is always slower to respond to the same issues. Anyway, webguyster, I think Toyota's just being extra careful to take all the necessary precautions to avoid smearing their reputation for reliability.

The dealership is very eager to find out what the cause is, which I find extremely helpful. Especially since I'm still under the full warranty, I wanted to tackle this (minor) problem before it could aggravate and I could have been left stranded with an expired warranty.
  • bwiebebwiebe Member Posts: 27
    I rec''d 2 sludge letters from Toyota Canada. 1st one gave me a time limit after which if I had a problem I wouldn't be covered. 2nd letter eliminated the time limit and basically said if I got the problem and could prove that I had maintained the car properly I would be covered. Can't remember all the details as I tossed the letters out.
    I have experienced a similar surging problem to what I think has been described above. Some of the time, if I accelerate very slowly from a stop, almost to the point of keeping my foot off the gas and just let the idle accelerate the car, I feel a slight surging. Two or three times, again at low acceleration, the surging has been much more pronounced, to the point of being able to describe it as a jerking motion.
    I haven't taken it to the dealership yet but plan to stop in during the next few days. At 34,000 KM I wouldn't think I should have to have the throttle and injector service done as mentioned above. Never had to do this before on cars that had over 150,000 km on them. I have been running regular gas but the manual stipulates regular not premium and given the 15% extra cost with no measurable improvement in fuel economy I find it hard to justify premium. Although if the dealership suggest this will solve the problem I guess I'll dish out the extra money at the pump.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    bwiebe-

Could this surge you describe be the A/C compressor kicking in??

fastdriver
    "Surging" would also be a good term to describe what happens, to the point of jerking. It's not as violent as a bull-riding, but it's noticeable.

I'm sorry to say that the fuel injector cleaning didn't work. Acceleration is extremely smooth though, but I've noticed a repeatable pattern. Accelerate slowly (don't floor it, just accelerate normally) until you get to 65-70 kms., and keep it there. My Solara, at that point, starts to jerk. The dealership suggests that I'm in a transmission threshold, because the transmission doesn't know if it should stay in that gear or downshift.
    The A/C isn't even on when this happens to me. I wish it would be that simple.