Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Is it logical that daily interaction offers ANY advantage to understanding a vehicle, beyond all the data?

Of course it does. However, you can get plenty of knowledge about these cars by analyzing the specifications, observing them and test driving them without owning them. You know, you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. I think ownership trumps if you own all of them. Owning one car and comparing it to many really doesn't offer much of an advantage when comparing, in my opinion. How many people have become scientists without owning the lab? Probably all of them.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Well - if you lived in a luxury home with top quality furniture, a grand back yard etc - don't you think you'd know more about that experience than someone who reads Architectual Digest. Why on earth would a car be any different.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    who knows what dangers lurk beneath ...

:surprise:
    Poltergeist?? Good thing they had a reliable car at the end. Wonder how that'd play in this day of Plasma and LCD TV's.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    YOUR POST #12078 regarding the 2007 LS on the edmunds website is great... (I asked a couple of times if anyone had good photos of the new LS.) The link from the Detroit news made it look like a different car...go figure.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Autos, what autos?

With all the interesting autobiographies and biographies on this site I thought this was the "Owners of High End Luxury Marques Forum".

Personally I find discussing in-animate objects with wheels much more interesting!
    Woah...I like this version better Dewey ;)
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    So how do you like it, JJ? You have the new RL so I trust your taste. Elaborate. Write!
    I like it a lot. I actually see some BMW in the profile and some RL in the front...and it really seems to flow. A very nice design overall that will age well. The wheels....WOW! :D

(That's as elaborate as I get :D ...you would never guess this guy was in print media advertising for 30+ years. :shades:)
    XCLNT :)
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Some true "high-end" entries...

Amazing what a different rim and the right background does for a car like the Phantom.

As all the regular posters know I'm not crazy about the Maybach, but the new 57S model is what the car should have been at first, IMO.

New grille looks much better to me.

The booty that provided the inspiration for the new S-Class.

Is that a hint of the W140 S-Class I see here? Yes in the long, flat, blunt hood surface.

Try to keep it on the road!

Now, a car that I have tried to like in both Coupe and now Sedan form, but couldn't. I present to you the Bentley Continental Flying Spur, which I call the "flying brick".

Way too much [non-permissible content removed] here.

Has all the elegance of a speeding locomotive in this shot, IMO.

Ditto.

Does it look any better here? You be the judge.

M
    DUMBED DOWN VERSION OF NICHE MARKETING

A special King Kong version of a VW Tourareg?

Why was there not a Gigli version of a VW Phaeton?

King Kong Promo
    What is all the hullaballoo about quality and reliability in this forum? It appears such matters are not a top priority for most auto buyers.

The study found new and dynamic body styling can serve as a positive
    substitute for quality deficiencies in the short-term. In recent years,
    consumers have come to expect a satisfactory level of quality in most new
    vehicles. Accordingly, as quality has become less of a factor in purchase
    decisions, vehicle styling has grown in importance as a key differentiator.

According to Carrannanto, over the past five years, brands with high
    styling scores tended to be sales growth leaders. These included BMW, Lexus,
    Acura, Nissan, Volvo, Cadillac and Chrysler.

Personally my priority is neither design/styling(no offense Designman) or quality/reliability. My priority for any car is its drivetrain/chassis.

The Insignificance of Reliability
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Those wheels dont flatter the RR. It should have big chunky alloys, not thin spoke chrome. That looks like it belongs to a rapper.
    Honda Will Sell
    Acura Brand in Japan

Ninety percent of the Japanese luxury market is dominated by the Big 3 luxury marques of Germany. I do admire the Japanese for their good taste in luxury cars.

Who knows maybe North Americans will learn one day not to rely solely on Consumers Report for their car choices.

So, while Japan's car makers are feared by competitors abroad for their high-quality, fuel-efficient and comfortable cars, in their home market, they have ceded the premium segment to foreign imports -- notably German rivals BMW AG, Audi from Volkswagen AG and Mercedes-Benz from DaimlerChrysler AG. (See related article.)

Last year, industry officials say, imports accounted for 90% of Japan's market for cars that retail at $50,000 and up. Honda officials say a big reason for their move is an effort to expand Honda's presence in Japan's big urban centers like Tokyo and Osaka, where the dominance of the German car makers is most striking.

German Luxury is Number One
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Regarding the article you linked to, we all agree that styling helps sell cars, especially when the new stlye is in its first year or two. But the article tries to make the broad claim that "over the past five years, brands with high styling scores tended to be sales growth leaders. These included BMW, Lexus,
    Acura, Nissan, Volvo, Cadillac and Chrysler."

Lexus a sales growth leader because of styling? HA HA HA HA HA! Possibly in the future, but definitely not in the past, imho.
    I dont know anybody who bought a Volvo because of its styling?
    Actually I find the XC90 to be attractive, for an SUV.
    Relative to the other ugly SUVs, the Volvo XC90 does not look too bad.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    What is all the hullaballoo about quality and reliability in this forum? It appears such matters are not a top priority for most auto buyers.

The study found new and dynamic body styling can serve as a positive substitute for quality deficiencies in the short-term.

I assume you are being at least somewhat facetious in your comment. But this "study", at least as reported here, seems pretty lame.

First of all, when a new model is introduced, I would imagine there is an increase in advertising and promotion that would be expected to increase sales.

Secondly, when a new model comes out, loyal owners of the previous model are incentivized to replace their cars.

Thirdly, I would bet that cars that are not generally considered to be styling leaders experience the same jump in sales when a new model is introduced. And cars that are from "quality" leading manufacturers probably experience the same jump in sales with a new model introduction. In other words, styling vs. quality has nothing to do with the phenomenon of increase sales of new model introductions. Duh.

On further reflection, "lame" is probably too kind a term for this study (again, at least as reported here).
    Would agree with your assessment of high-end styling and eye candy. Looking at that Maybach grill though an improvement, can't get Hyundai XG 350 out of my mind!
    http://www.autoweb.com/content/research/vir/index.cfm/action/Media/photo_type_in- - t/3/series_id_int/38948
    First of all, when a new model is introduced, I would imagine there is an increase in advertising and promotion that would be expected to increase sales.

Secondly, when a new model comes out, loyal owners of the previous model are incentivized to replace their cars.

The point of the article was not to portray every single factor that increases sales as brand loyalty and advertising. The key point of the article was this:

As new vehicle quality rankings
    converge, styling is emerging as a key differentiator for consumers as they
    decide on the make and model of their next purchase.

2)Thirdly, I would bet that cars that are not generally considered to be styling leaders experience the same jump in sales when a new model is introduced.

New cars that are not styling leaders would have higher volume sales if they improved their styling. That seems obvious to me.

3)In other words, styling vs. quality has nothing to do with the phenomenon of increase sales of new model introductions. Duh.

New styling is playing a bigger role with increasing car sales than before and quality is playing a lesser role in increasing car sales than before. There is nothing lame about that conclusion .

Remember the conclusions mentioned above are based on various surveys and studies and not on a few opinions of forum members.

The A.T. Kearney study was conducted by comparing information contained in
    the 2004 J.D. Power Appeal Survey, 2000-2005 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study
    and the 2000 -- 2004 Ward's North American Vehicle Sales Summary.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    The study found new and dynamic body styling can serve as a positive substitute for quality deficiencies in the short-term. In recent years, consumers have come to expect a satisfactory level of quality in most new vehicles. Accordingly, as quality has become less of a factor in purchase decisions, vehicle styling has grown in importance as a key differentiator.

According to Carrannanto, over the past five years, brands with high styling scores tended to be sales growth leaders.

I love this post! I just want to thank the people at the A. T. Kearney company, for showing the significance of style and design. Thanks dewey.

Where's that drivetrain study when we need it? ;)
    Where's that drivetrain study when we need it?

Yes, I am waiting for that study.
    So from this survey this is what we gleam:

1. Carrannanto also noted increased sales for vehicles with new styling
    continue for about two years. After that time period, sales fall off to
    previous levels and, in some cases, decline even more.

You mean we needed a survey to figure this out.

2. According to Carrannanto, over the past five years, brands with high
    styling scores tended to be sales growth leaders. These included BMW, Lexus,
    Acura, Nissan, Volvo, Cadillac and Chrysler.

Well now we have the full explanation of MB's decline is sales - bad styling per this survey. They missed the grade.

I feel sorry for anyone stupid enough to pay for that survey's indepth data - if it exists.
    Why bother with the study? We've all got you! :)
    ljflx and Gary1,

I myself do not like the conclusions! Styling in itself will not move me to buy any car.

This survey is not about you or me. This survey is about "car buyers in general" and not about "informed car buyers".

ljflx, you may consider the typical car buyer who cares more about styling than quality as stupid but your opinion will not change the car buying public.
    Didn't say any car buyer was stupid. Said anyone paying for the data from this survey had to be stupid.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I must have clicked the wrong thread. You folks are talking about cars.
    The consulting firm may have done the study on their own without a client. Sometimes they do that as a self-promoting means to grab a client and get their name out there.
    Or maybe the client is a auto firm.

A customer survey that deals with what excites car buyers is of great value for the industry.
    Those wheels dont flatter the RR. It should have big chunky alloys, not thin spoke chrome. That looks like it belongs to a rapper.

I kinda like them, after I figured out they weren't wheels off of a BMW M3! I do agree that the whole looks is sort "gansta" or MTV Cribish.

M
    A customer survey that deals with what excites car buyers is of great value for the industry.

I have a brother in the consulting business, Ph.D. level . . . Yes, the client may already exist, but, trust me, the consulting firms often do in-house studies because they can get VALUABLE results for companies with money to spend.

Your words say it well.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I find it interesting that Dewey brought up a survey that draws some correlations b/w new styles and improved sales, with quality sorta less of a factor. I thought sales was NOT important to German car fans... Anyway, if beauty and styling correlates with sales, not quality, then MB sales should be through the roof cos they have some of the most eye-pleasing, and elegant styles in the business. But we know what MB is focused on improving these days ? :D

In fact, I'd find you a number of examples where this kind of conclusion falls down. Take the new Camry. It is certainly not a style leader, yet continues to outsell its competition. What drives Camry sales ? Toyota quality is certainly a HUGE factor ... You can say same for Honda... These cars are very hugely successful and not becos of their styling or beauty.

Dewey, what will be interesting to find is the survey that correlates driveability/chassis survey and improved sales (like that of BMW). Talking about BMW, lately their ads on TV have focused almost solely on their FREE maintainance program. Hmmmm !!! Could that be a driver of improved BMW sales as well ??? That is, what garyh alluded to in his post: increased marketing dollars to push new features/new releases as driving increased sales and revenue....
    Dewey, what will be important to find is the survey that correlates driveability/chassis survey and improved sales (like that of BMW).

posts 12107 and 12108 :)
    Imho we don't need any surveys to tell us what has helped and hurt BMW, MB, Lexus etc in the marketplace. It's all common sense.
    Regarding the Camry remark . . . didn't Ford Taurus hold that position at one time . . . mainstream, well-priced and equipped? But, as I remember, it was also considered stylish AT THAT TIME, and AT THAT PRICE.
    As valuable as the studies can be, some of the surveys can be misleading to the automakers. For example, what surveys was GM looking at? Were THEY giving the people what they wanted?
    Anyway, if beauty and styling correlates with sales, not quality, then MB sales should be through the roof cos they have some of the most eye-pleasing, and elegant styles in the business. But we know what MB is focused on improving these days ?

Sales Results

Quality is Job One for all auto marques, well at least that is what they claim.

But maybe MB sales are falling behind competitors for other reasons than quality.

What can explain the healthy increase in Audi sales in North America. Audi reliability, I dont think so.

In fact in Europe Audi A4 sales have surpassed BMW 3 series sales. And Audi A6 sales are tied with BMW 5 series sales and way ahead of MB E class sales. Is this because of Audi reliability, again I dont think so.

So definitely quality is not as important a sales driver as what it may appear to be in this forum(at least among the majority attending these forums).
    Sales are made on a number of things, with some of those things being weighted differently by buyers for different brands.

Of course Toyota and Honda depend on the reliability-loving crowd for their sales domination, that is a given. I would question if a person is sighted if they said they bought a Camry based on how it looks. Likewise companies like VW depend more on style/design and performance to sell their cars because their reliability isn't so great. The fact that some are willing to pay a premium for a VW over comparable Japanese and dirt cheap Korean cars (which really aren't comparable IMO) with not so good reliability proves that VW sells on something "else". Same thing (but in reverse) about the thousands of Camry buyers.

When it comes to these luxury cars things like styling, performance, reliability, quality etc. all play a role, but again it is weighted differently for different brands.

BMW - IMO depends on performance and sheer driving pleasure, and up until recently their styling had a larger part in the decision for a lot to buy also. This latter quality, "styling" has been the subject of much debate recently when it comes to BMW, but as Designman has stated the driving experience is still there so people will still buy BMWs, no matter what people who wouldn't buy one anyway think about their styling. I personally am coming back around to lusting for BMWs again. The only one I still can't get with is the 7-Series.

Mercedes - made their name on quality, motorsports, innovation, safety, reliability and just very through engineering, all of these things minus stellar reliability are still there, while at the same time they seriously turned up the wick on styling and they went on a product offensive to counter the bad press about quality, pretty smart imo. So the SLK, CLS and M-Class are successful, the real test will be the new S-Class. The R-Class, well doesn't look to be a hit so far like other recent intros. Mercedes never sold on one single thing which is why they're still around and able to launch new models and have nearly all of them go over well.

Audi - I have a few ideas as to why they can't get out of the shadow of MB/BMW in this country. For one the last time I looked at Audi's website you can't even get a brochure on their cars. Big mistake. Some might be intrigued by an Audi and go looking for a brochure and find they can't get one and their reaction is likely "oh well" and Audi loses another sale. Secondly Audi doesn't have the depth of models MB and BMW do, nor do they have comparable dealer body in either size or location.

Lexus - making their way on quality and a superior dealership experience/body. Styling isn't a draw for Lexus, IMO. Even with their new design direction they still don't look like anything special like certain MB/BMW/Audi models. Quality and fine engineering will always sell whether it is "hip" or not, just to a slighly different crowd who places these things above all else.

There are many things that play a role in sales which is why there is room for all of these brands. How much room is the question.

I really think that if Toyota (not Lexus) had a drop in reliability like Mercedes or VW have had they'd sink much faster because that is what they mainly depend on. It surely isn't design or the driving experience.

M
    Interesting. Your well-worded post makes me realize that different brands are successful for different reasons. In fact it seems to me that people will actually turn to a particular brand because of the success it represents and they expect. The problem, then is when a particular marque no longer represents what people expect from it. Such as, the reliability question that recently has hit MB. I believe MB will work through it, in my opinion, and I also think people buy MB for other reasons. BMW, however, must remain good at performance. If it was a super-reliable car, but lacked performance, people would think there is something wrong. Lexus, however can sell well with that formula. Just what do people expect from Audi? Who knows? And maybe that's the problem . . . great cars with a lack of awareness of their solid identifying traits. Cars have to live up to a reputation, as well as forge ahead to mold their reputations (as a "work-in-progress").
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    Audi's new advertising campaign could then go something like this:

Audi: Jack of all trades and master of none...
    or
    Audi: Moderation in all things...

Given their interior styling, they should advertise that:
    Audi: Who cares about the world outside?

And now with their new front grilles:
    Audi: The Big One That Didn't Get Away...

Hmmm...not quite up to "The Ultimate Driving Machine" or "The Relentless (Passionate?) Pursuit of Perfection".

Don't get me wrong. The Audi A8 I saw last year at the auto show had a fabulous interior, but I agree; they do not have an image in N.A.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I pretty much agree with *most* of your comments. One thing you left out of the Lexus equation is RELIABILITY. That is a huge factor in Lexus armor. I'd guess that if they lose that they'd lose quite a bit in popularity. MB's boutique approach may work, for a while, but unless the fundamental issue of quality (real or perceived) are tackled and solved satisfactorily, their troubles may not be over yet. BMW is a great brand I like a lot. Just not the slogan, I guess. However, with a FREE 4-yr/50K maint. policy, that is an unbeatable combination for BMW's success. Audi's resurgence is interesting. They still sell a lot less than their competitors in the HELM space, but what I think is that Audi's beautiful design (in-and-out), its racy S/RS cars and its ownership of higher end marques work in its favor and may bouy its appeal to other buyers. Their A8 sales are so low that there is no other way to go than UP. Good for Audi...
    I think I remember this being asked previously and don't remember if you commented, but have you ever tried to get a job as car mag writer?

That is a terrific post, IMHO.
    Hmm, I read his "quality" comments as inclusive of reliability ... but that's just me.

Going back to lurking now. :)
    This survey is not about you or me. This survey is about "car buyers in general" and not about "informed car buyers".

ljflx, you may consider the typical car buyer who cares more about styling than quality as stupid but your opinion will not change the car buying public.

Dewey, I think you missed the point of my post. In fact, I think Len is the only one who commented on it that appears to have totally gotten what I was saying.

I (and Len) are not disagreeing with your concept that styling is important to many buyers. The point was that this particular "study" was a piece of crappola, and didn't prove a thing about anything. Let me give an example why: to make conclusions about issues involving multiple variables, you have to isolate a variable and then see what happens with different values. This study apparently made no attempt to do that; many factors are at play when a new model is introduced besides just a change in styling (which by the way may be for the worse in the opinion of the majority of the population, and sales would still increase). Therefore you can't draw any conclusions from its findings. That's all I was saying.

All we really can glean is that the appearance of a new model causes an increase in sales over the end of a previous model. Duh. But why that is true is not at all proven to have anything to do with styling vs. quality for any class of buyers.

Based on the summary provided, it's so flawed as a study as to be an embarrassment to the company that put it out. If they get any business off of it from sophisticated industry participants, I (and Len)would be shocked. That's all we were saying.
    Merc, add me to the list of admirers of this post. Well-stated!

Your knowledge and thoughtfulness shines through much better for me personally when it is applied in the positive. Of course, I have to quickly add the same comment applies to some other posters here as well. Everyone's thoughts get a much clearer airing when they aren't buried in diatribe.

But of course, every once in a while a little confrontation can be amusing....
  • wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    I am looking for a 2003 MB S430 with intention to buy early next year. I have found one with the following specs. on line and will appreciate any suggestions about the asking price of $45999.

This vehicle is white with front and rear heated seats, ventilated front and rear seats, keyless go distronic and parktronic automatic transmission, trunk closer, sport package, xenon lights, dynamic seating, rear air climate control, side and rear sunshades, 4matic, 4place seating, moonroof, 18 inch alloy MB wheels, Leather, Wood and chrome trim, Hands-free communication, cd changer, navigation system, and Bose audio sound system.

Any suggestions that you will be really appreciated.

Wabends :confuse:
    I have completely missed your point and with good reason.

It amazes me that you would think that the automotive practice of the global management consulting firm A.T. Kearney consists of a group of flunkies who cannot understand the concept of isolating variables. Their whole business and credibility is based on understanding statistics. Isolating variables is a simple concept that is taught in any introductory Statistics101 course.

How can you conclude what their statistical quality controls are based on the article I linked? You have no justification in caliing this study crapolla unless you have access to the details of their statistical methodology.