Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Come on. Stop already. It will take me a long time to heal my bruised ego! :)

As for my making a $60k "mistake" as another poster alluded to, my $60k 545 is the best vehicle I have ever had.
    No "cover-up" for an expensive mistake needed here. :blush:
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    As for my making a $60k "mistake" as another poster alluded to, my $60k 545 is the best vehicle I have ever had.

hpowders, you push the envelope sometimes, don't you? :D:D

I think it is more likely that grandaddy was suggesting that no one in general would want to admit a $60K mistake, not YOU in particular, and further he was suggesting that the strong opinions expressed are basically in defense of large purchase decisions. At least that was how I understood his post. :)

BTW, you are SO lucky to think you have purchased the PERFECT vehicle. ;)

TagMan
    I never said it was "perfect"-just the best vehicle I have ever had.
    I have previously indicated several criticisms of my vehicle which I hope BMW would rectify.

I just don't understand how anybody on this thread would make a $60k "mistake."
    I believe anybody posting here who has a LPS or HELM has done the research-reading as much about the vehicle as possible, including the appropriate threads on Edmund's, and test-driving it several times before purchasing and comparing it to other vehicles in the category in the same way to narrow the selection down to one.

About a year ago my list included cars from Lexus, BMW and Infiniti.
    You know the rest. :blush:
  • grandaddygrandaddy Member Posts: 66
    Tagman, you got it right brother!! Circumstances call for a little story:

A guy is sitting in the bleachers at a football game. Someone way up behind him yells, "Hey Joe"! The guy turns around and looks but does not see anyone who might be yelling at him. Sits back down. Again, "Hey Joe"!! He looks around, sees no one, sits back down with a perplexed look on his face and says. "For crying out loud will someone please tell that guy that my name is not Joe"!!
    :D;)
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... I do not know of many people who want to admit that they made a $60,000. ...

I know lots of people that say that. Everytime you hear someone complaining about their job, they're admitting that they made a $[insert annual salary] mistake! :surprise: :P
  • benzsterbenzster Member Posts: 152
    ... I do not know of many people who want to admit that they made a $60,000. ...

If you wear a wedding ring not only do you admit it you flaunt it! :P
    TGIF ;)
    You're talking a whole new ball game there benzter!!
    Speak for yourself.
    I don't know about you, but I am almost as proud of my wife as I am of my 545.
  • rayngrayng Member Posts: 70
    545 is a fine car but not for everyone. The question here though is whether $60k bought you the optimal blend of value, performance, panache, and luxury. Ultimately, you made the tradeoffs among those variables that made most sense to you in a very competitive and changing handful of cars. As for me, I place luxury, panache, and value as the top three criteria. How would others in the group rank these variables? Which am I missing?
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I hope she didnt see that :) My wife would not like me putting my cars ahead of her.
    My wife couldn't find my car in a parking lot with one car in it.
    So I highly doubt she will ever peruse the Edmund's boards.

Glad you picked up on my rather sly comment. ;)
    The answer to your question for me at least, is a resounding "YES!"

What trade-offs? As far as value goes, you do get what you pay for, and the thrills I have had in my 545 have been priceless.
    As far as luxury goes, my comfort seats are about as luxurious as you want seats to be.
    Beautiful wood trim. AC and heat which automatically adjust to the cabin temperature for whatever temperature you set it at. Head lights and tail lights which set themselves automatically for the outside lighting conditions. Standard 10 speaker audio (which I hardly ever listen too). That's enough luxury for me.

The "performance" and "panache" of the 545 need no explanation from me.
    My wife couldn't find my car in a parking lot with one car in it.

Yet, somehow in her life she found YOU. (in a BMW showroom?) ;)

Or, will you claim you found HER? (searching aimlessly in a parking lot?) ;)

All roasting aside (and you've had a fair share!), your 5-series is truly a great balance of luxury, performance, and style . . . it's understandable that you would love it so much.
    Lots of bang for the $$.

:D

TagMan
    Thank you Tagman.

Yes, she found me. A momentary blackout in judgment, I guess.

Not to change the subject, but really, any of the LPS' we (used to) discuss and all of the HELM's listed above are incredible vehicles.
    Anyone driving one of these vehicles is indeed fortunate, and deserves to be as passionate in its defense as I am of mine.
    Thank you Tagman.

You're welcome!

Check out the re-opened LPS forum. I have a question posted there that should be right up your alley!

TagMan
    Yes. I don't believe BMW will give up on their sweet inline 6.
  • middlp23middlp23 Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone, well I was a passenger in the new S550 today and from my perspective it is truly an amazing automobile. The design looks funny in the pictures, but in person it looks A LOT better and has a authentic sense of style and substance. The cabin is excellently put together and has a higher level of fit and finish. The COMAND unit is far easier to use than iDrive and has high resolution. For the drive it was very hushed and serene. Even when going over the lane marker bumps you could hardly feel or even hear it. It felt fast. Very vault like. My dad has a LS430, there is no comparison. Im 15 FYI.
    Well, in the LS430's defence, it is a 2001 design. We'll see if the LS460 has what it takes to battle the S550. I dont think anyone else in the class has a chance at the moment, bad news for BMW, Audi, and Jaguar.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Neither has many admirers! But the LS was more popular, but it was on a revolving pedestal.

The $110k price of the S550 didn't help!

The Lexus wasn't as sweet as it was in the NAIAS photos I've seen, but the car color was an Anthracite, not Silver, which hurts.

The Lexus didn't have a line out of place. It wasn't incredibly beautiful, per se, but it scores for looking strong, sleek, and for looking like a $70-80k sedan should look, unlike the current car.

Not feelin' the S550, in the flesh. Not that's it's ugly, but the beltline is off, and the rear end is generally muddled, with the rear fenders tacked on lines, "My Humps", and the Maybach knock-off tailights, it has problems. It took a step back. The current car is not much different, it is better though because it doesn't tack-on these bad styling exercises out back.

The current S is the same as the New S, without the mistakes.

What are the chances BMW will go back to the 1995 740 design? :cry:

DrFill
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Welcome to the board. For what it's worth, many euro fans around here actually consider not being able to feel what the tires just got in touch with a bad bad bad vehicle trait (they call "isolation chamber") even among the HELM cars. I have no idea why.
    middlep23 - thanks for your well-written description of your experience in the new S550. I think your appreciation of a fine automobile, regardless of the marque, is noteworthy for your age . . . and perhaps you have had a keen awareness of cars for some time now. Many of us posters here on this forum began taking an interest in cars when we were very young.

It can happen at any time, but once the bug bites . . . it's generally for life. ;)

TagMan
    middlep23 also has the advantage of not having to live through the '70s and particularly the '80s, very bad times for car enthusiasts. Hard to imagine today that this was basically the best looking car around in those days.

http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/images/ferrari/testarossa_1.jpg

On the other hand, that also means missing the '60s, which was the golden age of cars.
    I remember those days. Have to say the Testarossa still looks good to me, though. Only thing I ever did regarding Ferrari was a 328 GTS in '88 as I think back. It was a seriously mixed experience.

Yeah, middlp23 has an age of technology that we never even dreamed of. And more to come.
    ... as well as an age of gridlock and speed traps with laser targeting. The "Sunday drive" that a lot of us enjoyed as kids is definitely a thing of the past.
    I saw one of those Ferraris on my way back from school the other day, i thought it looked pretty nice, i wouldnt mind driving one lol.
    Thats the one thing im worried about, traffic. Whats the point of having a 3 series at 16 when I wont be able to fully appreciate it
    I forgot my manners lol, thanks for the warm welcome. I have had an affinity for automobiles for a while now. Mostly the higher-end marques, but some models from less prestigious brands catch my attention sometimes.
    While traveling with my wife from the airport to our hotel in London, we were passed by an F50. It was quite an experience, the sound was unlike anything else on the road, and you could literally see the engine through the back of the car. Not quite as magnificent as the Enzo, but pretty close.
    While driving thru Aspen, I spotted an ENZO. My 11 year old went nuts. It was beginning to rain so we took a few pics and continued our t-shirt quest. It really is magnificent. It makes the Modena look like a 924. Nice to see cars of this magnitude on the road. The SLR we just sold is driven daily as well.
    I say daily.....we had to order the special Mobil 1 oil that is not on the market for the customer and store the drum for him. That slowed him down at first. ;)
    How does this special oil differ from the one that is on the market?
    It's a "special secret" formula....if I told you I would have to seek you out and kill you. :P Hahahahahhaah
    It is actually a weight that is not on the market. :confuse: Mobil 1 5w50. We had to order it bulk thru MB parts.
    It makes the Modena look like a 924

Whoa! You've gone overboard there. ;)

Modena is truly a timeless lesson in design.

Did you drive the SLR before it was sold? Or did the dealership have understandable restrictions?

TagMan
    ... It is actually a weight that is not on the market. :confuse: Mobil 1 5w50. ...

I think that is on the market. I believe I have seen that weight on the shelves before. Check a farm/gardening equipment store. If I recall, it was for lawn mower engines or something like that. :confuse:
    How would you feel if I drove your Testarossa before you bought it??? ;)

They roped the vehicle off in the get ready shop. $65K for a hood. We did not want it scratched. There was a strict break in period. The owner did not even rev it. MB flew in a tech to PDI the vehicle. It just about brought the shop to a stand-still. We had to purchase adapters to the lift due to the low clearance. It truly is a piece of work.
    ... It is actually a weight that is not on the market. Mobil 1 5w50. ...

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx
    I will arm myself immediately just in case!!!
    I remember the rather lofty service back when I had just a "basic" 328GTS. It was an eye-opener. The SLR is a very "deep pocket" experience, no doubt about it.

I sure hope it went to a nice guy who will not just "afford" it, but "appreciate" it . . . if you know what I mean.
    Great guy. He gave rides to a few people. I don't know what it takes to maintain an exotic but I will say all 100 bolts on the carbon fiber underpinning must be replaced due to stress at regular intervals. The underpinning is an integral part of the structure that mates the monocoque chassis with the suspension sub frame. I had the opportunity to get a good view while it was in the air. I think this is the closest I will ever get to F1 technology.
    Replace front pads and rotors:

Brake Fluid 16.90
    Brake Pads 2035.00
    Brake Disc 26180.00

Plus labor. Oh, if it makes any difference the $26K is for (2)rotors

10k maint. service is $1100.00
    Brake Pads 2035.00
    Brake Disc 26180.00

Oh!

:surprise:

My!!

:surprise:

GOD!!!!!!!!

:surprise: :surprise: :surprise:
    What we have here, gentlemen, is a failure to mass produce. ;)

Ouch!
    Curious if you know what a new set of rotors would cost on a Carrera GT or Enzo?
    If you have to ask.... ;)
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I believe Car and Driver said 6K back in the June 2003 issue when they tested the Enzo. I believe that was the price and issue.

M
    Ceramic should last a little longer than conventional pads and rotors..... but jeeeeesh.
    We had a SL55 come in with the rear suspension support bent and 2 rims busted. The dad let his son take the car to his ACT tests. When the boy was done he let his girlfriend drive it. The 16 year old lost control doing doughnuts in the parking lot.

So, who is more irresponsible, MB for producing a 500HP vehicle for the street or the Dad who loans it to his son?

I can't tell you how many vehicles have been run through deep water and bent rods. An engine runs on average 20k. Insurance will not cover it.
    OK, let's compare the brake disc rotors on some of the HELMs. What would one (or a pair, if that is how they are sold) cost for a new '07 S550?

BTW, on a separate note . . . my personal experience with the Mercedes cars I have owned was that they wore down the brakes and pads fairly quickly. In fact, it used to irritate me just how much brake dust would collect on the front wheels particularly. If I didn't clean them regularly, they would eventually turn dark with dust. I see a lot of Mercedes driving around with brake dust all over the front wheels.

Anyway, how much for the brake rotors? We can compare them to the BMW, Lexus and others just to see the difference. :)

TagMan
    I didn't have a price guide for that new a vehicle. The S500 06:
    (set)front pads 121.52
    (2) front discs 274.40

*s550 has 13.8 ventilated on front

Yes, they do produce dust. I would like to say that it is due to the airflow being directed outwards to cool the brakes. Soft pads = short stopping distance. I have seen the same issue on a lot of German cars. Harder later is my motto!
    Just be glad you don't have my wheels! (300TD)
    I have also noticed the brake dust issue with MB and BMW. I have owned both these brands in the past and dealing with the brake dust is not fun. Seems as if they could fix this annoying characteristic.