Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    You've got to be kidding me. Get real.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I'll give the author BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes. Audi and Range Rover, maybe. But Volvo?? Are you kidding me? Who in their right mind thinks Volvo is a "premium" brand, above Jaguar and Rolls Royce!?

Exactly . . . no one in their right mind would think that. I agree with you.

They go on to imply that Volvo is above Aston Martin and Maserati as well. Aston Martin and Maserati have heritage in spades, both as manufacturers and from their racing programs. How many Le Mans wins does Volvo have?

I agree once again. There is a serious difference in the heritage of those vehicles, and I'm glad to see you recognize heritage as a relevant attribute . . . as we are all aware of which HELM has NONE.

TagMan
    That sentence discreditted the whole article but his incredible partisan standing was clear anyway. Reading that article was like being at Yankee Stadium in a series with the Red Sox - you know who the crowd is rooting for. The writer thinks we are still in the 1980's and is completely lost.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Well it is nice to see that you have represented Audi to the extent that others now also mention it, even when they have no first hand experience...As a fact, at this time in my ownership experience with Lexus Mercedes BMW and Audi I have had no problem with the Audi whereas I had at least one important problem with each of the other brands...Further all of the mentioned cars are a bit different in different ways but all in all very nice and certainly on the top line of anyone`s list --possibly exceping a few posters on this forum... Please keep up the good representation ..Tony
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Well apparently in Europe, "heritage, heritage, heritage" means everything, which explains why the great German HELMS-MB, BMW and Audi are absolutely crushing Lexus across the pond.

I don't hate Lexus. I look forward to driving a new LS in the Fall to see if its handling has improved a bit.

It will be quite tough for Lexus to break in over there, however, because of the great, proud tradition of fantastic performance-oriented vehicles that Europeans have grown accustomed to expect.

Steve-come on now-wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?
    Tagman, that post of yours was in-your-face candid. Me thinks we are on the verge of the 110th MB vs Lexus Super Bowl. I don’t recall you ever being the starting QB in one of these.

No . . . I'm not the man for the job. Because I don't hate Lexus the way it might appear sometimes. It's well known that I have a huge respect for them, particularly the upcoming LS.

But, admittedly, I can't stand it when I see Lexus fans taking undeserved heaping helpings of credit and denying Mercedes it's rightful kudos.

That's really all it is.

:D

TagMan
    That sentence discreditted the whole article

No it didn't. That's too extreme. There were many interesting and valid perspectives. Disagree with one, and you don't have to discredit the entire thing.

TagMan
    When Lexus gets serious about Europe we'll see how well that heritage argument holds up. Till now Europe as been double AA ball but that will change. Ten years from now it will be a different story and Lexus will have hurt someone there. You can bet your life on that.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    could you expound on that please
    Your superiority comments - give me a break - OK.
    Apparently, heritage has been banned. Next is status, and then prestige. Soon the ONLY factor to determine a HELM will be reliability.

Oh well, I guess the Corolla will be a HELM soon.

;)

TagMan
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Tag, I've got one sentence:

Audi, if you build it, they will come!!

This iteration of another CLS-esque car is better designed, at least in the pics, than some of the others. Mainly headroom will be better than even the CLS. And this car gets Audi's new 4.2L 450hp, direct injected, DSG-equipped V8. I saw a "unofficial" pic of the "sport" model of the car last month. All I can say is Audi must've been cross-shopping at AMG as the front and rear aprons look very MB to me, which is no bad thing. Looks like they also chopped off it's nose for a more smoother finish. I'll keep you posted on new pics, like the spy photo of the upcoming Q5 and '09 A8L..
  • stevekilburnstevekilburn Member Posts: 359
    Aston has one victory in 1959 at Le Mans. Thats all!

Most of aston legend is just baseless propaganda and fraud, just like most other british brands.

Choicest words are used. "Storied marque", "world's best", "world beating", timeless elegance, refined, rare, elegant, unparalleled, glorious, legendary, unequaled, fabled and other non-sense. Fraudulent propaganda by sleazy british press and their cronies on East Coast this side of pond.

Just like a medieval fisherman cries "Best fish" while selling a rotten one.

If you think I am missing something you should point it out CLEARLY otherwise this "spades" thing is just an irresponsible ornament.
    I certainly hope you are correct because we consumers will eventually benefit when one of the manufacturers turns the heat up a bit.
    it will keep the competition honest and we get better vehicles.

Looking forward to seeing how Toyota and Honda react to the heat currently being provided by Hyundai.
    Tag, I've got one sentence:

Audi, if you build it, they will come!!

It (the A7) is surely gorgeous, and there were other pics on that site. I imagine you've seen them all by now. Personally, I like it much better than the CLS.

My wish to Audi . . . send a gorgeous sports car to our market.

TagMan
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I'm not trying to sound superior. My point is to point out the fundamental difference in mind set/priorities between the German/Japanese customer. I think Hpowers said it best when he pointed it out that Cyclone4 didn't even mention performance.
    If it helps, I do think that Lexus is more sophisticated a car than Buick but, FWIW I never mentioned Buick, That was the good Mr.Tagman. Again FWIW for me reliablility would comes as a lower priority than performance. Something that Lexus does well. I can live with some glitches to have a car drive a certain way that I feel appropriate. We can agree to disagree I suppose, didn't mean to push any buttons.
    I have posted in the past that I believe the upcoming LS600hL will set a new standard.

I generally have a history of being fairly objective in my views of Mercedes and Lexus, and the other marques as well.

But as I've said, it is not reasonable to have Lexus fans take massive amounts of credit for even the smallest things, and totally deny Mercedes the credit it deserves, and to further insult the Mercedes marque by trying to deny its heritage and history, and to ignore the value of its status and prestige, as though they no longer have any merit. They all do.

There are MANY factors, not just the ones that Lexus is good at. The ones that Lexus is NOT historically good at matter too. So, it is ridiculaous to suddenly ban heritage or prestige, to infer that style is not that big a deal, or to dilute the standards for performance as though going quickly in a straight line is adequate. (THAT was why I used the Buick analogy, hope I didn't insult anyone).

It seems reasonable that reliability is not EVERYTHING. Those other factors and performance do matter, IMO.

I think you know what I am saying, here.

TagMan
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    Hi, I’m new to this thread, but after reading few post I have an idea of where you are in the subject and would like to share my thoughts.

Lets go trough the list one more time.

Interior ergonomics – MB is a clear winner. Some might not like it at the first glance but after spending time in the car, you will understand how much better it is then anything from Japan.

In terms of technology - MB is an innovator, unfortunately it does reflected on reliability, but Like Tagman stated MB clear winner. Lexus simply uses proven technology and it work in their favor in terms of reliability, but not in terms of Technological enhancements. New LS might change that, but again hybrid technology was tasted on other Toyota models and not an innovation at this point. Even Acura, without having presence in the HELM sector, was by far more involved in breakthrough technology. Not having any new technology to break, does not make Lexus a winner.

Safety – MB would win this category as well but both cars are safe enough for a tie.

Performance- clearly go to MB.

Prestige – MB.

Styling – subjective, but I think most will agree that MB is a winner.

Price – Lexus. However if you look at the value, depending on your preferences, S class can be the best value on the market. In one of the reviews I think in R&T it won heads up campro with Rolls-Royce Phantom. No one in the right state of mind will compare LS to Phantom, don’t you think? After all, $150K 911 Turbo considered, by many, the best value on the market. I bet you thought it was Hyundai SonataJ

S class is not only the better car by a mile, it also a better value and it’s 30K more expensive.

Oak, I know you will probably disagree. However if you do, can you provide some explanation for your logic. Tagman clearly stated as why MB superior to Lexus, you on the other hand did not.

One more thought, I might be out of line here, but I think that new LS looks similar to previous S class, which is a good thing.
  • rayngrayng Member Posts: 70
    Reliability is paramount to quality. Mercedes had reliability. Now I'm not so sure. I just picked up my friend from MB Downtown for warranty work on a rather bad oil leak at 5000 miles on an 06 s350.

Mercedes nevertheless builds fine cars because it still does well in many other helm criteria besides reliability.
    Yes, the porportions of the car, particularly the rear end looks less frumpy in comparison to the CLS. The wide-body/toupe roof of the CLS has it's ups and downs, mainly being limited passenger space. Feels like you're in a pre '04 XJ with the low roof and all.

And did you say sports car from Audi? Then the magic genie has just granted your wish: R8 and new TT(coupe, Cab, and hopefully the Shooting Brake).

With the R8, you'll be able to get anything from a 3.6L V-6/DSG to a 5.0L V10/stick or DSG and a 6.5L V-12/stick or DSG(thank Heavens they opted against the cruel Lambo E-gear) with over 600hp, probably a smidge less than the Murcielago, for obvious reasons. That V-12 will also make it's way into the next gen A8's by virtue of smaller displacement(6.2L), but still with over 600-hp and with the engine sitting completely behind the front axle line, for improved handling and by virtue of the more complex but more compact 9-Speed autobox and DSG's.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    We've got a world-class, 5-on-5, HELM Finals, right here!

And here are your starting lineups:

Air Europe:

Merc
    Hpowders
    Tagman
    Designman
    BlkHemi

Vs. Team Lexus

Ljflx
    DrFill
    Oac
    LexusGuy
    Stevehilburn
    Cyclone (6th Man award-winner!)

DrFill
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    1. I like Audi. They make some very appealing, premium automobiles. But they are not on Lexus' level in the US. Not even really close.

1a. I don't remember saying Audi isn't a HELM. I DO remember saying they are not a 1st-tier HELM. Big difference.

2. Mercedes is the standard in HELM automobiles, and I have the utmost respect for their heritage, and current lineup. I do believe they are Lexus' only legitimate competition, since they both make luxury-first cars/trucks, and is incredibly formidable. I see Ali-Frazier.

But Mercedes has learned to respect Toyota/Lexus' power over the past 17 years. And I believe they consider Lexus a 1st-tier HELM in the US, and one to watch elsewhere, as it is fairly obvious Lexus has not applied itself in Europe/Japan with the ferver they have here. Taking over America is no small task, and Lexus can take one continent at a time, as far as I'm concerned.

3. Making pretty cars with high prices is fine, but if you can't sell them, like Lexus, Mercedes, BMW can, what have you got? Heritage is great. I'd rather have sales, cash, happy customers, and respect. Anything else will come only in time.

4. The 1st-tier HELMs in the US are Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, and Lexus.

DrFill
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    That's the spirit, doc. We’ll stoke up the barbecue, put a keg on ice and swing for the fences!

Hey, Mets are unconscious!

Hpowders… Tiger is 7 off the pace… he doesn’t do well in Westchester. There was a story today in our local paper about his 155-foot yacht which is parked in Mamaroneck harbor. So much for those friggin’ Buick ads. There was also a cute story about the family who owns a house that is very close to the 15th green. They have three rescued dogs (Spaniels) who bark at the golfers and that Tiger was playing with them during practice rounds. I’m wondering if they will cause a commotion during the tournament.

:shades:
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    I believe this picture is a photoshoped A6. Renditions of the the upcoming A7 appear in Automobile magazine and CAR magazine from recent issues. The rendition is quite different and extremely striking and I believe it hints more towards the real design.

http://duboholic.com/2006/05/2008_audi_a7.htm

Try this site for the same pictures that appear in Automobile and CAR.

"Audi Nothing to Prove'
    That is assuming Audi, BMW and MB stand still and that isn't going to happen here or globally. Read the very interesting article below: Sorry for the pasting as it was difficult to copy.

Source: Detriot News.

German upmarket hegemony, built on speed,
    innovation said unassailable In Europe
    But Lexus, other upstarts with quality, style, price might be dangerous combination
    by Neil Winton

In a country like the U.S. where
    the speed limit is rarely as high as 80
    mph, would you buy a Porsche Cayenne
    SUV rather than a Range Rover
    because the Porsche was the fastest
    SUV in the world?
    If a BMW Formula 1 car was
    victorious in the U.S. Grand Prix on a
    Sunday, would you buy a BMW 540
    on Monday rather than a Lexus GS
    450h?
    Would you decide against buying
    a Rolls Royce Phantom because it
    could "only" do 145 mph, and might
    be overtaken on a German motorway
    by a Mercedes Maybach?
    If your answer's to the above
    questions are "no", you might have
    some difficulty suppressing your derision
    if you read a new book called
    "Premium Power, The Secret Of Success
    Of Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche
    And Audi", by Phillip Rosengarten
    and Christopher Stuermer, published
    by Palgrave MacMillan.
    Messrs Rosengarten and Stuermer
    are both auto analysts from the
    Global Insight automotive forecasting
    company, based in Germany, and
    "Premium Power" sets out to show
    why German upmarket car manufacturers
    have been so hugely successful
    around the world, and particularly in
    North America.
    Rosengarten, in an interview,
    outlined the basic premise of the
    book, which contends that German
    upmarket manufacturers, instead of
    copying Japanese concepts of lean
    production leading to faultless cars at
    competitive prices, developed
    "premium" brands which were differentiated
    by innovation, often led by
    success on the race track.
    The "premium" brands of BMW,
    Porsche, Audi and Mercedes-Benz,
    and for the time being Range Rover
    and Volvo, are superior
    to mere luxury
    cars like Lexus, Infiniti,
    Cadillac, Jaguar,
    and Rolls Royce, because
    they continuously
    set new high
    standards. The luxury
    brands merely follow
    and imitate.
    "This helps to
    explain why successful
    brands in America like
    Lexus are not so successful
    in Europe,
    where customers demand
    heritage above
    all," Rosengarten said.
    German and
    Lexus upmarket success
    in America is undeniable, not to mention
    the dismal record of Lexus, so
    far, in Europe.
    According to Rosengarten,
    brands like Range Rover, which is
    owned by Ford and is part of its Premier
    Automotive Group (PAG), are
    in danger of losing premium status
    and becoming merely luxury if they
    let innovation slip.
    "Range Rover, now belonging to
    a volume group like Ford, would be
    in trouble if Ford failed to understand
    how important innovation is and
    might starve it of the necessary investment.
    Its air suspension was a
    benchmark and others have caught
    up. Now Range Rover has its All Terrain
    Response, which is something
    nobody else has."
    All Terrain Response harnesses
    computer power to control offroading
    with settings for conditions
    like mud, snow, rocks and sand, and
    almost automates the driving skills
    required.
    Rosengarten says that innovation
    is demonstrated by motor sport victories,
    with Porsche showing by various
    sports car race wins that it stands for
    speed. Audi rally victories showed
    how its Quattro four-wheel drive system
    beat front wheel or rear wheel
    drive. Both Mercedes and BMW have
    long competed in Formula 1 Grand
    Prix. Advertising and sponsorship
    link premium car makers with upmarket
    activities including concerts,
    sports like golf, sailing and skiing,
    and also communicate the brand's
    history.

Innovation crucial:

"A premium brand can only be
    successful in the long run if the brand
    is continuously setting standards in
    one of the dimensions which are important
    to its premium customers," he
    said.
    "But premium innovation doesn't
    mean necessarily high tech or
    electronic ideas, a simple solution
    with customer focus will do. For instance
    there is a new option on the
    Lamborghini Gallardo which lifts the
    the front suspension a couple of inches to
    avoid damaging the car as it rides
    over sleeping policeman (bumps in
    the road designed to slow urban traffic)."
    According to the book, Lamborghini,
    Bentley, Bugatti, and Ferrari
    are also "premium". Mere "luxury"
    brands in the U.S. include Acura,
    Cadillac, Hummer, Infiniti, Lexus,
    Lincoln and Maybach, while secondrate
    status in Europe goes to Aston
    Martin, Jaguar, Lancia, Lotus, Maserati,
    Mini, Morgan, Rolls Royce,
    Saab and TVR.

"Performance is important too, it
    gives a power reserve and reassurance.
    At Bentley, the new Continental
    GT sets outstanding standards.
    With a top speed of 193 mph it puts
    the Aston Martin Vanquish (part of
    Ford's PAG), which is nearly
    €100,000 ($125,000) more expensive
    in its shadow. People who buy cars
    like these have achieved something
    top in their area whether it is football
    (soccer) or fashion or films, and they
    want their car to do the same thing,"
    he said.

This idea might seem preposterous
    to some, that a car which can exceed
    the speed limit by more than the
    speed limit itself, at least outside of
    Germany where often there is no
    speed limit at all, would be desirable.
    German speed limit would
    destroy premium advantage
    But Rosengarten is insistent.
    "A speed limit on German motorways
    would be the end of German
    premium brands, yes definitely,
    there's no doubt about that. It is all
    down to image. The fact that German
    cars can attain such high speeds
    forces them all to be very competitive;
    it brings your performance to a
    level which no outsider can compete
    with. The introduction of a speed
    limit on British roads (in 1965) is one
    of the reasons for the industry's demise
    because it didn't have the challenge
    of top competition any more,"
    Rosengarten said.
    Rosengarten is dismissive of the
    threat from Lexus to upmarket European
    sales, even though its amazing
    success in America might be thought
    to pose a long term threat.

"Pitiful" Lexus

Calling Lexus' European sales of
    about 20,000 cars a year "pitiful",
    Rosengarten doesn't rate the Japanese
    threat very highly.
    "Without heritage, which means
    a glorious history and brand tradition,
    it will not be easy to establish a successful
    luxury brand in Europe, not to
    mention establish a premium brand.
    All the more so as Lexus has many
    American luxury-style elements with
    its design orientation geared towards
    other premium brands instead of creating
    its own unique elements, and it
    cannot showcase any important innovations,"
    he said.

Rosengarten does concede that
    Toyota, its Lexus subsidiary and
    Honda's lead in hybrid cars, powered
    by a combination of petrol and electric
    motors, might give them some
    street cred, but he points to an ominous
    statistic.
    "Globally, Lexus is selling less... continued next
    ...cointunied from previous post...

"Globally, Lexus is selling less
    than half of Audi's volume, and less
    than those of BMW and Mercedes-
    Benz."

Not everybody falls for the line
    that car buyers demand a race-bred
    heritage for their cars, or that the Germans
    are the only manufacturers capable
    of producing high quality vehicles
    with a sporty drive.

The new little Lexus IS, which
    competes with the BMW 3 series,
    Audi A4 and Mercedes C-class,
    drives as well as its Europeancounterparts
    and looks just as classy.

The new top-of-the-range Lexus LS
    limousine is surely equal to the Mercedes
    S class, BMW 7-series or Audi
    A8, while another Japanese luxury
    marque, Nissan's Infiniti, shortly to
    start selling in Europe, is no slouch
    when it comes to high class design.
    Cadillac will also be claiming bragging
    rights for its new cars which are
    also being seen in Europe in increasing
    numbers. Though pitiful at best. Chrysler's eye-catching
    300C and various Jeep SUVs are also
    competing vigorously in Europe.

No God given right

Professor Garel Rhys of Cardiff
    University Centre for Automotive
    Research isn't convinced that the Germans
    have all the answers. The likes
    of Lexus have also shown that high
    quality doesn't have to mean prices
    that make the eyes water. And outright
    performance might not be such
    a big seller where consumers are becoming
    more aware of the need to
    conserve previous fuel and resources.
    "There's no God given right that
    German hegemony at the top end of
    the car market will continue, and
    when you look at the success of
    Lexus in America, which has forced
    the Germans to engage in more realistic
    pricing strategy, Lexus has certainly
    opened the eyes of American
    buyers of German products to the
    level of prices they are asked to pay,"
    said Rhys.

"Their latest models appeal to
    the European eye and consumers and
    are not geared entirely to the American
    market, unlike Infiniti, which
    needs a more global shape. Lexus is a
    very, very competitive package, good
    handling and efficiency, the sort of
    car that can give BMW, Audi and
    Mercedes a good run for their
    money."

Speed not everything

"This book gives a very German
    view of the automobile. Customers
    aren't just interested in speed, but
    other things like style and quality.
    And with everybody becoming more
    aware and interested in global warming,
    the pursuit of speed is at variance
    with what might become a more acceptable
    attitude. High earners too
    like to demonstrate their social responsibility.
    Arguing that the Cayenne
    is faster than the Range Rover,
    is not the message required in the
    market place," said Rhys.
    High quality, value for money,
    and a great experience at the dealership
    are Japanese attributes that will
    work for them even in the upmarket
    sector, said Al Bedwell, auto analyst
    at JDPower's operation in England.
    "Having said that I think that
    German car buyers may be influenced
    by good motor sport results,
    but that's just a feeling. But with the
    right designs and dealer network,
    Lexus could be a lot more of a threat
    to German premium brands. Lack of
    a sporting heritage is only a minor
    handicap," said Bedwell.

Bedwell estimates that Lexus
    will raise its sales in Europe to between
    45,000 and 55,000 by 2010,
    while Infiniti, which launches in Russia
    later this year and will start a fullscale
    roll out across Europe in 2008,
    will hit 20,000 by the end of 2010.
    Honda's Acura has yet to announce
    any intention of selling its
    cars in Europe.
    Even the Greens agree
    Rosengarten said the German
    premium car makers have been so
    successful that last year Audi, Mercedes,
    BMW and Porsche produced
    more cars than the mass car manufacturers
    in Germany Volkswagen, GM's
    Opel, and Ford.

"I expect that to continue," he
    said, and underlines the need to make
    sure Germany's roads remain unrestricted
    by speed limits.
    "It is important to keep away
    from a speed limit in Germany. All
    politicians from the main parties
    agree with this, even the Greens realise
    its importance; after machine tooling,
    automobiles are the biggest employer
    in Germany," he said.
    Professor Rhys isn't convinced
    about this need for speed.
    "It would be rather worrying
    from a German point of view if this
    book reflects the attitude of the companies.
    But I don't think they're so
    enamoured with speed as this book is
    pushing forward. The German vehicle
    manufacturers are unlikely to fall
    into this trap provided by this book,"
    he said.
    I'll fly Air Europe...the food is better!
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I am trying to get a handle on HELM -- isn't price the key?

As I read through some of the recent posts it appears that many of the cars discussed here have high five up into six figure MSRP's.

I cannot tick them all off, from the top of my head, but aren't virtually all the cars that command that kind of MSRP's "high end?" And, those cars in the price range noted are all luxury cars no?

As a frequent participant on the LPS forum and a former owner of an Audi A8, I also wonder as I am attempting to get up to speed, how much "performance" counts in this class of cars?

I have not, for years, driven an A8, 7 Series or high S class -- and the last time I drove the big buck Lexus, although more recent, was also some time ago.

The recent write ups of the Lexus hybrids do make them seem to be VERY powerful, but I still have not read comments about them that would suggest they place high value on performance.

The $100K Lexus has to be HE and I would hope LM, but is it also a PS? The Germans, based on 4+ year old experience DO emphacize P.

All the comments pertaining to Lexus are certainly strong and mostly persuasive -- but there does seem to be less "concern" for them with respect to performance.

Does HELM place low, medium or high value on performance?

To me, the Audi S8 and a possible RS8 define HELPS, but does that qualify for inclusion in HELM?

With "lottery" money, an S8 would certainly ring my bell as an HE vehicle.

What, if any, concensus is there regarding traits -- including and excluding "brand" cache -- to be considered as a member of the HELM club?

Since I find the size of the LPS family perhaps more to my needs and tastes, I will most likely be an observer here, but I would appreciate some "clarity" regarding the traits that qualify a vehicle to play in this league.

Thanks for the enlightenment.
    I don't remember saying Audi isn't a HELM.

Please allow the honorable TagMan to respectfully refresh the good doctor's memory.

In post 16213 I requested you to say that "Audi is a HELM".

In post 16214 you replied "Audi can be a HELM for YOU. Not a HELM for me."

Very true . . . Audi is indeed a HELM for me and blkhemi and others, but you clearly said it . . . that FOR YOU, in YOUR opinion, according to YOU, DrFill, from YOUR perspective Audi is not a HELM.

Doc, that's OK if you don't think it is. We just won't agree. But you are most welcome to change your mind, my friend, or even maybe you could put a spin on this whole thing and admit you didn't use the best choice of words, and that you actually meant to say it IS a HELM. That would be fine with me.

So . . . here's your chance . . . Tell us that "Audi IS a HELM. Maybe a second-tier HELM, in your opinion, but that it IS a HELM.

Can you go with that? C'mon, Doc, I'm tryin' to work with ya here. :D

TagMan
    Hallelujah! I finally made somebody's list.

YES!!! :surprise:
    Starting to see some Audi TV ads.
    They're learning.
    I do believe they will be making some significant gains in the US market pretty soon.

I have to agree with Merc. They have the best looking vehicles across the line both inside and out of any of the companies we discuss around here.
    Wonderful designs. Fabulous interiors.
    They won't be kept down much longer.

I will for the first time add an Audi to my list when I go car hunting again.
    Perhaps the Q7-one of the best-looking SUV's I've ever seen.
    Tag, I think the doc has stirred the pot once to many times. It's so ridiculous that he can't remember what he mentioned, in fact several times from the start of this debate, that Audi IS NOT a HELM, then barely a HELM, now a full-blown HELM.

Doc, you've won. This whole experiment has proven that you can get a good arguement here. For all intents and purposes, the test worked. As I've noted before, the HELM thing is over. Lexus, Audi, Infiniti, who cares? The fact of the matter is that all the cars that are in question have posted some strong gains in both sales and product, even Lexus with the wonderful IS and upcoming LS. Yes I said it for the record, Lexus is a HELM(albeit, how are they better than Audi? One car can't strike a flame against Audi's lineup). Even without heritage, the company has a winning if dull recipe for success, with the LS being the best premium car in it's class in sales. But to exclude Audi from this is like saying the brand never existed, particularly when the brand has beat it's own sales forecast by some 200k units and counting, and this on the heels of it's A6/A8 cars, not lower end cars like Lexus generates most of it's global sales.

So can we please put this HELM/non-HELM debate to rest because she hasn't had any rest in almost a week? And poor Pat can only intervene so much. You don't think Audi is a HELM, great, fine. Then stick by it as the rest of the world knows what's really going on.
    It's a weak POV and the ultimate fall back point (should I say desperation point) - IMO - because it is totally exclusionary. So of course by using it you can exclude someone new if you want to - anytime for the next 30-100 years (that's a lifetime in my book) and in any industry. But by doing so it means you'll never consider something from a new manufacturer or service provider. I could never be that narrow minded.

The business world, particularly the technology sector is a proven graveyard for those that think heritage is so crucial. Old world Europeans puts up a grave resistannce for a while but sooner or later mainstream forward thinking Europeans overcome the heritage stupidity. Sorry but I can't follow a group of people that tried to deny Disneyland to their kids because they thought they were so smug and it was beneath them. I'll give you heritage has some merit but if you make it a decision maker you are simply shortchanging yourself. Most people aren't that narrowminded.

Does anyone really think heritage will exclude Lexus from success in Europe?? If so I've got some great pacific ocean property in Nevada to sell you. Lexus has made a tiny attempt in Europe with a car they engineered for America. The moment they make the car European and build it there they will sell it in droves. Making the product in Europe makes it a European product in their eyes and that is about 100X more important to Europeans than heritage.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Aston has one victory in 1959 at Le Mans. Thats all!

Most of aston legend is just baseless propaganda and fraud, just like most other british brands.

Ok, you totally missed the point. I didn't say Aston Martin was the winningest car company ever. My point was that Aston and Maserati have been racing for a very long time, just like MB and Porsche. They both have legendary cars, just like MB and Porsche.

The point was, how many race wins does Volvo have? How many legendary Volvos are there? Why is Volvo a "premium" brand, while Aston Martin and Maserati are "second-rate".
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The question is, in comparing the MB-S series, the BMW high end (whatever it's called, 700 series I think), and the LS, what has been a better car the past several years, taking everything into consideration (luxury, build quality, dependability, etc., etc.)? I think that the unequivocal answer to this question is the LS. You will notice that I did not even bring up the fact that the LS costs about $10-20 thousand less. That makes it even more of a winner. Now, what about the future? Is this going to change? I very much doubt it. With the gorgeous LS460 coming out and more importantly the LS600HL, I don't see how things are going to change much. The LS will still be the better vehicle, period. Isn't this the most important factor?

Better when you stack the criteria in favor of the LS. No where in there does performance, handling, styling or anything else that actually relates to it being a car as opposed to an appliance even come up. Secondly this about the LS being more luxurious doesn't hold water. The car is no more "luxurious" than a S-Class or A8. Softer leather? Big deal, it will look like crap when the 2nd onwer gets his hands on it. Many buyers don't give a "flying leap" about all this dependability/reliablity superiority that Lexus defenders constantly harp about it, if they MB/BMW/Audi wouldn't be able to sell cars, and they all do it for more money on top of that. On paper the LS looks to be the end-all vehicle to some, yet right here on Edmunds you'll find a few Lexus owners have left and some buyers that found it to be a totally insipid vehicle. A luxury car of this ilk has to do more than win in surveys and being Mr. Practical, that is something Lexus doesn't seem to grasp, at least not yet. The new LS is anything but gorgeous, of course IMO.

M
    Excellent post, my thoughts exactly. It is so easy to declare a winner when you pick and choose the categories in favor of.....

M
    Wow! You really think that the typical Lexus HELM buyer is no more sophisiticated than the typical Buick buyer? Because that's largely what you have described.

That is pretty much it. Really. You never hear anything about how the car drives,looks or anything "car-like". It is always surveys, price and this talk of luxury, which means not feeling anything and in the case of the LS430 the flattest seats possible. The ES and SC follow the same isolationist formula. They've been called "Buick-like" by more than one tester over the years.

M
    Which MB is this ??? Have you even sat in an LS recently ? Go sit in the new IS250 or 350, and check out the quality of the material in the lowest Lexus vehicle, then multiply that by a factor of 10 to get to an LS level quality. Please.... MB seats are hard, and not supple enough, IMO, which gives the nod to the LS.

This is exactly why Lexus and particulary the LS has the reputation it has. The seats in the current LS430 are the flattest, most non-supportive seats going. They're made for a person that doesn't care one whit about actually driving the car.

This is an easy one.... Clearly the LS is the winner. MB's problems in recent years has been ELECTRONICS, or a poor integration of the myriad of chips in the car. This is NOT an area MB can compete against the LS. The latter shines here as well. All the techo wizadry in these cars are similar, except for one thing - seemless and flawless integration... LS wins this one going away. Next

Lexus isn't half the innovator the Mercedes is and this nonsense about MB's electronics never working is total nonsense.

You must be referring to the old slab-sided S-class of the '90s. Today's MB is not any more safer than the LS. I'd say EVEN. Next

Says what? Here is where the problem is in Lexusland. Unless some survey or stat can be googles right fast it doesn't exist. Mercedes (and Volvo) are the only ones that actually recover some of their cars after an accident to see how they can make them better. Mercedes' are safer in real-world crashes, a quick scan of the net will show you this. Mercedes' have some unbelievable accidents and yet the glass doesn't even break and the passenger cell is intact, doors still able to open etc. Lexus isn't an unsafe car by any means, but to say that MB holds no advantage here is just plain wrong.

Obviously NOT ! MB wins outright on style (against the current gen LS, that is), safety is about even, but technology, reliability, ergonomics, and luxury are all LS...

Style = Mercedes.
    Safety = Mercedes.
    Technology = Mercedes.
    Reliability = Lexus.
    Ergonomics = Lexus.
    Luxury = Mercedes. LS430 is more of a traditional luxury car than a European one.

And finally, why do you suppose the LS is the undisputed #1 LUXURY car sales in America ? If MB wins on all these areas you give to them, and has a higher price, won't MORE people buy it ??? Smoke that one, buddy...

Because they're cheaper. Read the previous posts and see what a LS430 sells for on average. If MB wins in all those area shouldnt they sell more because of a higher price? Is that what you're asking? That doesn't make any sense. The higher up in price the thinner the market is.

M
    Ok, there are some MAJOR problems with that sentence. I'll give the author BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes. Audi and Range Rover, maybe. But Volvo?? Are you kidding me? Who in their right mind thinks Volvo is a "premium" brand, above Jaguar and Rolls Royce!?

I agree, I didn't really understand what he was trying to say there. I guess that was strictly from a European point of view which would put all of those over Lexus, Infinti and Cadillac, but not Rolls or Jaguar. That I didn't get either.

M
    I'm not trying to sound superior. My point is to point out the fundamental difference in mind set/priorities between the German/Japanese customer. I think Hpowers said it best when he pointed it out that Cyclone4 didn't even mention performance.
    If it helps, I do think that Lexus is more sophisticated a car than Buick but, FWIW I never mentioned Buick, That was the good Mr.Tagman. Again FWIW for me reliablility would comes as a lower priority than performance. Something that Lexus does well. I can live with some glitches to have a car drive a certain way that I feel appropriate.

This is what many have been saying all along. All you have to do is read the postings on various Germancar boards vs. Lexus and you'll see a clear difference, especially when talking about the LS/SC/ES. Now the GS and IS are somewhat different, especially the IS. Perfomance never, ever comes up and when it does and the Germancar outperforms the Lexus, you'll get the it doesn't matter response because this is America and you can only drive 55/65/75 mph anyway.

M
    Funny, but Lexusguy doesn't fit in with those you've listed, he isn't nearly as pro-everything-Lexus as the rest are. He is a LS defender, but not much else from Lexus, at least that is the way it seems going by his post. Plus he owns a Jaguar and likes Maseratis. No other Lexican would go near a Jaguar or Maserati they'd likely gasp upon the first shift of the transmission in the Maser and the Jaguar's styling is too much.

M
    It's a weak POV and the ultimate fall back point (should I say desperation point) - IMO - because it is totally exclusionary. So of course by using it you can exclude someone new if you want to - anytime for the next 30-100 years (that's a lifetime in my book) and in any industry. But by doing so it means you'll never consider something from a new manufacturer or service provider. I could never be that narrow minded.

Good point, but I don't think any of the Germancar defenders here are using heritage as a last resort, besides it couldn't be any more depserate than the constant reliability speech which implies (incorrectly) that everything else is on the side of the road constantly. Cars are not computers, phones or other such devices either. There is a certain emotional attachment to a car that an enthusiast has compared to those who only buy from the CR "recommended" list. For a lot of people there are way more things to consider. No one here defending Lexus can accuse anyone else of being narrow minded.

Does anyone really think heritage will exclude Lexus from success in Europe?? If so I've got some great pacific ocean property in Nevada to sell you. Lexus has made a tiny attempt in Europe with a car they engineered for America. The moment they make the car European and build it there they will sell it in droves. Making the product in Europe makes it a European product in their eyes and that is about 100X more important to Europeans than heritage.

No not really, it is the lack of a diesel in their premium cars that has held them back and that lack of heritage. Of course once they build a car in Europe and provide a diesel they're sales will do much better, but to that crowd you think doesn't care about heritage (which they do) they still won't buy. This will always be a factor, but how much of one is the question. Europeans caring more about where it is made vs who makes it is overstated with the 100X comment. The European auto industry was build on heritage and that still counts. Toyota has all the money in the world, yet if the execution is off, it won't matter where they build it.

M
    Tiger just doesn't seem motivated.
    Not like Phil.
    Never saw Tiger hit a putt like he did on #2: 2 feet short from about 12 feet.
    I guess 6 gazillion dollars will do that to you after a while.

Oh well, if he remains disinterested in golf and Jack's pursuit, he can always slum over here on the 2 Buick Rainier threads.
    "I like Audi. But they are not on Lexus' level in the US."

I do believe that is about to change big-time (in terms of sales).
    They are starting to infiltrate the airwaves.
    As consumer demand increases, which it will, they will use some of that capital to build more dealerships and soon pretty much everywhere you see BMW, Lexus and MB showrooms, an Audi will be nearby.

I am excited when I hear the name "Audi" and I never was before.
    Will definitely drive a 6, 8 and a Q7 in my exhausting and (to other posters) nauseating search for my next vehicle, which usually begins the day after the new one is in the garage.

The list of potential test-drives at this moment also includes the Porsche Cayman S.
    I plan on driving the new LS to see if its handling has improved.
    No BMW's on my list as yet.
    Sorry for the pasting."

You didn't have to.
    Merc 1 provided the link already to this article in post # 16384.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    I am going to consider it along with the new MDX and maybe the GX for purchase around Dec. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether reliability might prove more like VW, or more like Porsche? Excuse my ignorance but I don't really understand the corporate/manufacturing/design relationships between the 3 companies when it comes to the Tourareg/Cayenne/Q7.
    I may be moving out of the hurricane belt in 2 years.
    The Q7 looks like it will be a major help in the move. It's enormous!
    Because if that, It must be considered my current front-runner at this time.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Ljflx… there is something very important that you are not taking into consideration about heritage. Germany’s automotive heritage is not just a thing of the past, it is being written as we speak. Re-read that article about the reluctance to impose speed limits on Germany’s Wild West highways. It is because of this one factor that German cars are built the way they are—for performance. And it is this reason why they are in such demand.

We can wax nostalgic all we want, but the performance qualities of German cars live in the present. Write your check and get it now.

Lexus heritage? Manufacturing, reliability, hybrid, price… all good things but nothing to excite the pure driver. The Autobahn and Nurburgring are alive and well… German car heritage is alive and well… a vitality that is very alluring to the people who buy these cars.
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    The Lexus VS Europeans argument on this HELM thread is heating up again, so I am throwing in my two cents as well:

IMO, to be a first tier HELM, the car company must go through three stages:
    1- It must have a full history of building (perceived or otherwise) exceptional products that are generally accepted by the consumers. The products must include full line of vehicles from entry level to top end. Being accepted by the general public helps to make the company profitable i.e. bread and butter. Benz and BMW have certainly got this under their belt; Lexus has done it very well. Audi has been kind of hit and miss in NA. Jaguar has basically done nothing on the entry level.
    2- With the firm footing built in step 1, the company can then enhance/grow its image by building/offering more extravagant/expensive products. I believe it is very important that anyone spending his/her own money on HELM would like to feel that the car company is standing solidly behind its offering. Initially, the loyal fans trading up support these. Then as the words get out, you get the converts i.e. customers leaving the other HELMs because of the styling, performance, technology and reliability etc... I believe Audi has not totally completed this step in NA since it is not drawing people away from the other HELMs. Again, Benz is already here, and actually it must work hard to keep its customer; BMW is kind of blurring its HE offerings by focusing more on its low and mid level products, nothing wrong with this since these are already pricey/HE. Lexus is now truly deep into this step with its new upcoming LS and other various potential models such as LFX, LFA and LFC. It is also in the process of improving the image of the entire product line with more technologies, performance and styling while maintaining the top rate reliability.

3- Once became first tier HELM, the company must constantly be innovative with technologies. It must keep the entire product line fresh and competitive. Relying solely on past performance to sell new vehicles is the recipe for disaster and may end up becoming second/third tier HELM (By the way, my definition of a less than first tier HELM is a HE vehicle that is nice to have but I would not pay for it with hard earned $).

For those that are knocking Lexus, just keep watching the unfolding story. Lexus fans should just ignore these comments and enjoy the ride. I am happy that Lexus is not Europeans like; after all, we live and drive in NA (except for those biz trips accross the pond).
    Germany’s automotive heritage is not just a thing of the past, it is being written as we speak. Re-read that article about the reluctance to impose speed limits on Germany’s Wild West highways. It is because of this one factor that German cars are built the way they are—for performance. And it is this reason why they are in such demand.

We can wax nostalgic all we want, but the performance qualities of German cars live in the present. Write your check and get it now.

Lexus heritage? Manufacturing, reliability, hybrid, price… all good things but nothing to excite the pure driver. The Autobahn and Nurburgring are alive and well… German car heritage is alive and well… a vitality that is very alluring to the people who buy these cars.

I liked the way you wrote that so much I thought I'd copy/paste it again.

"alive" . . . "vitality" . . . ah yes, good words.

TagMan