Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    The interior layout is exquisite looking. Nothing even remotely Japanese in terms of its overall execution.

Certainly nothing Japanese, no. However, there isn't much of England in there, either. It's extremely luxurious, but in a very German\VW way. I'm not sure that's what I'd want in my "Bentley".
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    but in a very German\VW way. I'm not sure that's what I'd want in my "Bentley".

Do you really think the Bentley Continental Flying Spur looks Germanic :confuse:

Well in that case I have news for you: This Bentley has as much in terms of German looks as Japanese looks. Based on appearances the interior of the Flying Spur screams "British" . And thankfully the engineering is done by Germans instead of the Brits.
    Do you really think the Bentley Continental Flying Spur looks Germanic

From the inside, absolutely. BMW did a much better job with the RR, which doesn't look remotely German on the inside, or resemble anything that has to do with BMW. The Continentals look like Ultra-VWs.

The picture you posted is not working.

IMO the pictures below certainly do look very British . Look at the over-use of burr unbleached walnut wood veneer and expensive leather used generously thruoughout the interior-- trademark features among traditional Bentleys.

Where oh where is the VW in these interiors?

• tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    What picture did you intend to post?

Here is the picture of the interior of the Bentley I was speaking about. . . which screams British all day and all night.

Oh . . . I see Dewey has posted some nice pics of the Bentley interior. Good work Dewey. Those are the correct photos. Very British, of course.

TagMan
    I had previously posted that the Maybach price makes the Bentley seem like a bargain. Further along that path, the Bentley price makes the Jaguar Vanden Plas seem like a bargain.

Consider these interior shots.

Here's the Maybach pictured below (classic German appearance, no doubt):

Here's the Bentley pictured below (very British, of course):

And here's the Jaguar Vanden Plas pictured below: (also British, without a doubt):

Oh . . . here's the Japanese to be fair . . .

Lexus '07 LS interior below (definately Japanese, the giveaway is the type and quantity of the plastics, IMO).

Bottom line . . . clear differences and you've gotta love the Eurocars, and respect those Brits.

TagMan
    Wierd, I can see my own picture just fine. Here's a true British interior

Here's an ultra-Phaeton:

"Yes, you find Ford stuff in an Aston Martin and BMW DNA in a Rolls-Royce but whereas they are bespoke cars with mass market jewellery, the Bentley is the other way around. It feels like a Volkswagen in a posh frock."
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    does a wall of walnut define a luxurious interior?

DrFill
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    When did we get to that conclusion? If anything, it screams british heritage from the flat-as-Kanaas dash to the over use of walnut wood(unbleached no doubt- none of that super shiny Japanese stuff).

I feel both the Jag and Bentley, altho they've swapped hands of ownership, have stayed true to it's unique British design, for better of worse.
    does a wall of walnut define a luxurious interior?

I readily admit that I prefer the emphasis towards wood and leather, instead of an explosion at a plastics factory.

TagMan
    lexusguy,

Your pics are dated, I believe, and do not represent the latest interiors. Isn't that first pic from a Ft. Lauderdale used car dealer?

At least I showed the '07 Lexus pic.

And I think the point has been established that the Eurocars have distinguishing differences between the British and German appearances, as well as the Japanese look.

Also, the price difference between these cars is gigantic, yet the Jaguar and Bentley offer so much compared to the Maybach, and the Jaguar compared to ANY of them, seems to shine, IMO. The newest '07 Lexus looks like plastic, by comparison.

TagMan
    Your pics are dated, I believe, and do not represent the latest interiors. Isn't that first pic from a Ft.Lauderdale used car dealer?

The RR is an '05. The FS is new.

The newest '07 Lexus looks like plastic, by comparison.

I dont agree with that. The LS's HVAC and audio switch gear at least look nice. The Bentley's look like they could've come from a Golf.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    The lines have become blurred. I couldn't care less about which styles are associated with country of origin. Styling has become a melting pot. I judge it car by car. The important thing is that it looks good, period.
    I dont agree with that. The LS's HVAC and audio switch gear at least look nice. The Bentley's look like they could've come from a Golf.

Put what ever little spin you want on it, and nit pick it if you must, but I'd bet the apple cart that most folks think that the interior of a Bentley is more luxurious and appealing than that of a Lexus.

Bentley:

Lexus:

Since we're talking Japanese, look at the familiar Japanese styling of the Acura MDX. More like a Bentley or a Lexus? The MDX is nice for an SUV, isn't it? But clearly Japanese in its execution, just like Lexus.

Acura MDX:

Amazing just how similar the Lexus luxury HELM is to an Acura MDX SUV . . . or should I say how amazing it is that the Acura MDX SUV is so similar to the Lexus LS? Either way, it makes the point.

TagMan
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    FWIW, I can see your picture in that original post also - from two entirely separate networks. Very odd.
    Are we talking about post #17744? I see an imbedded image that looks like the logo and name of the site where the photo probably resides. But no image of a car.
    Pat,
    FWIW, I can now see it as well . . . I believe it is a shot of a Rolls interior.
    TagMan
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yes, that's the post. This is very weird that some can see it and some can't, and then tagman couldn't and now he can. :confuse:
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    IMO, the Lexus has never been known for an innovative dash design, however, the quality of those plastics is unsurpassed.......

The Bently Dash design resembles a Lincoln Navigator, undisputable. :shades:
    You guys knew it was coming, so here it is. No maker in the under $100k class makes an interior as of good quality as Audi. No one. Not even Lexus, altho the plastics are of good quality, they're still not as sturdy as an Audi. Anyone dare to post a picture to compare?

That being said, the Flying Spur has a combination of genuine heritage with a touch of new tech infused in it. IMO, it may be best in the triple-digit category, with the one exception being the glitz-driven Bugatti Veyron. Nobody tops that big guy.

With the latest round of entries, it can be argued that the class is becoming more uniformed. But in the same vein, they all dance to a different drum. MB continues it's conservative yet utterly tasteful approach, Lexus is still with one of the best fit/finish jobs this side of Audi, speaking of, is still king in interiors, especially one decked out in the $11k Complete Leather dress-up. And dare I forget BMW, whose teutonic approach is still genuinely Bimmer, and the materials wear very well over time, given the gloss-free sheen to it's plastics and leathers...
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I guess it is just a matter of taste. I like the understated and simple elegance of the Lexus and the MDX. The others look more like something out of Detroit. Too flashy and cheap looking. More like a Cadillac, or, as someone else mentioned, a Lincoln Navigator. Thanks for the pics so we could compare!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

This Audi Ad is located nearby a speeding camera in South Africa. Not a bad ad, but will it persuade people to buy a speedy RS6?
    You and I continue to share similar tastes. I think the Quattroporte deserves some recognition, although I also think the Bentley is the top dog in the price tier.

The Audi is spectacular, and I never showed it because I was mostly trying to show the amazing Bentley, as compared to the Maybach. The Lexus plastic is fine, but I showed it also for comparison at the other end of the spectrum, as well as the MDX, which as a really nice SUV, as the interior pic demonstrates.

The Jaguar shines, when compared to the others as well.

Here's the Q:

This all shows that the country of origin can often make a difference in design execution. All of our preferences are equally valid, I might add, even though I have strongly indicated my preference for the European designs overall.

Also, to be fair to Audi, here's a pic of the A8 Interior:

Glad you all enjoyed the other pics I posted earlier.

TagMan
    The Quattroporte interior looks like it was cobbled together by a carpenter who frames houses and makes plywood tool boxes in his spare time.
    No need to worry Dewey, the RS 6 is back logged 2 years, the RS 4 is already back-logged 1 year in the US.

The RS 6 is coming to the States late '07 as an '08 US model, so they may be holding out to ramp up production for the States. With a $10k premium over the M5, I still don't think it'll be a tough sale here in the states, judging from the last gen when it was 88k, more than 20% over a comparable E55 and M5, 35% over an XJR.
    D-Man I'm with you, the fit/finish could've been better, but it is unmistakeably Italian.

I went to the Ferrari/Maser dealer when the QP was first imported to the States. The moment you open the door, you're greeted be an enticing smell that is utterly Italian, like leather gloves. And the buckets are comfortable and firm, if not BMW and Audi supportive and comfortable.
    You're right, we have very similar tastes(I'd like to get my solid 6'5 frame in that Lotus of yours (lol)), and I think the Jag XJ/XK is still has it's British character altho the parent company is very Yank.

The XJ Portfolio is especially worth a look. I think that if some people actually paid attention to the model, they'd think twice about giggling at Jag.
    BMW will no longer be referred to as the "Ultimate Driving Machine". Their new slogan is a "Company of Ideas".

The slogan "Ultimate Driving Machine" stirs passion.

Company of Ideas ? What the hell is that suppose to stir :confuse: Sounds like a slogan for a Big 5 Accounting firm or Insurance company.

The link below shows how US sales increased since 1974 when BMW started using the term "Ultimate Driving Machine". Will the "Company of Ideas" generate that same kind of growth? Maybe? But future growth will primarily be due to their autos and not due to that new idiotic slogan of theirs.

link title
    You're right, we have very similar tastes(I'd like to get my solid 6'5 frame in that Lotus of yours (lol)), and I think the Jag XJ/XK is still has it's British character altho the parent company is very Yank.

The XJ Portfolio is especially worth a look. I think that if some people actually paid attention to the model, they'd think twice about giggling at Jag.

I'm 6'1", 212 athletic lbs., and I'm thinking only another inch or so fits the Lotus, cause I'm close to the limit.

Since you mention the XJ Portfolio, it's one of my favorites, so I'll post these pics:

Gorgeous.

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I don't believe a slogan makes any difference.
    BMW could change their slogan to "Ultimate ELLPS" for all I care.

It's like the people shopping for a Toyota, Lexus or Hyundai really care that one of the company's executives is being criminally investigated?
    I think not.
    It's all about the car.

Dewey,do you really believe a slogan seriously influences sales, or are you just pulling my perfectly-proportioned right leg which happens to be attached to my 6'2" 195lb. athletic body?
    I don't believe a slogan makes any difference.
    BMW could change their slogan to "Ultimate ELLPS" for all I care.

It's like the people shopping for a Toyota, Lexus or Hyundai really care that one of the company's executives is being criminally investigated?
    I think not.
    It's all about the car.

Dewey,do you really believe a slogan seriously influences sales, or are you just pulling my perfectly-proportioned right leg which happens to be attached to my 6'2" 195lb. athletic body?

Uh oh, I'm gonna pay dearly for the use of the word "athletic", aren't I? And you are the man for the job . . . Howard "Don Rickles" Powders! :P

Actually, Howard, the slogan does matter over time, and history has proved it more than once.

The bigger problem is why on earth BMW thinks that they need to change their gears. Obviously, something has gone askew internally within the company. It's a usually a symptom that something is wrong (often management).

TagMan
    Well, I do have to admit the new slogan is rather lame and uninspiring, but as long as BMW keeps producing exciting vehicles, the slogan will not influence me.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Are there any concepts pics of the upcoming RS6 yet? This car is vieled in secrecy by Audi. Do you know when Audi will release info on the new RS6?
    as long as BMW keeps producing exciting vehicles, the slogan will not influence me.

Of course . . . you are already a BMW enthusiast. If a new generation grows up without the highly successful "ultimate driving machine", who knows? But like I sad, it indicates that something is out-of-whack within management. What would motivate such an idea?

Maybe it's one of those classic marketing hoaxes for publicity purposes . . . ending up with everyone begging for the return of the "ultimate driving machine". ;)

TagMan
    Well if their new slogan is "Company Of Ideas", I sort of have to chuckle and think of their latest brilliant idea, iDrive.
    Ideas like that don't need any company! ;)
    There is a casual, non-scientific poll on BMW design currently being conducted on a Porsche-dedicated website. Here is the question and the results. There are 78 responses so far:

Have you changed your mind about the new [BMW] design style since it was introduced?

48 (61.54%) No, I never liked it and still don't like it
    6 (7.69%) No, I always liked it and still do
    2 (2.56%) Yes, it has grown on me, and I like it now
    22 (28.21%) Yes, I like the design of at least some newer models
    the same question on Bimmerfest.com and you will probably get the reverse order with 61% (or higher) saying "yes, I have always liked it and still like it."

So what's the point?
    Ask the same question on Bimmerfest.com and you will probably get the reverse order with 61% (or higher) saying "yes, I have always liked it and still like it."

You don't know that. There wasn't a mass petition against BMW styling for no reason. Besides, most Porsche owners have other cars and many of them appreciate and drive BMWs for obvious reasons.
    Have you changed your mind about the new [BMW] design style since it was introduced?

Interesting, but I tend to think that there would be some bias due to the fact that the source was from a Porsche-dedicated website.

Even here at this forum, many of us own multiple vehicles, but there are biased views at times . . . present company excluded, of course. ;)

However, the numbers are so strong, I do find it interesting.

Hey, you must have uncovered the real reason BMW execs are changing the company slogan!! (lol) Thanks designman. :)

TagMan
    do you really believe a slogan seriously influences sales, or are you just pulling my perfectly-proportioned right leg which happens to be attached to my 6'2" 195lb. athletic body?

Howard,

BMW remains a success despite idrive and Bangle(yes you and I and a few Toyota/Lexus designers like Bangle but the rest the planet despises him).

If BMW can survive idrive and Bangle then a mere slogan will not hurt BMW. And no I am not pulling your perfectly-proportioned right leg which happens to be attached to your 6'2" 195lb. athletic body. ;)
    Doc,

I think you may want to know about this.

I noticed that when you post, sometimes your name is missing as the author on the title line, and at other times it is there. I'm not talking about the body of the post, but the title & author line.

Is someone else pretending to post as you sometimes, and then signing your name in the post itself?

I got confused a couple of times recently on that. What's the situation here Doc?

Thanks,

TagMan
    Besides, most Porsche owners have other cars and many of them appreciate and drive BMWs for obvious reasons.

True Porsche does not directly compete with BMW (except for the Z and X series). And the obvious reasons for driving a BMW is that most their models offers the best balance between high performance, superior handling, agility , control and serving real world needs like driving a family.

Oh and did I forget to mention the superior design of BMWs ;)
    Gimmee a break! It's so predictible.
    There's always a built-in bias when asking about another car's design on a fanatic's website.
    the obvious reasons for driving a BMW is that most their models offers the best balance between high performance, superior handling, agility , control and serving real world needs like driving a family.

Now THAT's the kind of BMW endorsement this forum needs!

What a way to start the day.

You'd better catch your breath, Howard. ;)

TagMan
    The bigger problem is why on earth BMW thinks that they need to change their gears. Obviously, something has gone askew internally within the company. It's a usually a symptom that something is wrong (often management).

I dont think this change is a reaction to a problem. BMW is being proactive in trying to expand their customer base. My problem with such an approach is that BMW may alienate quite a few of their core customers by building autos that caters to mainstream tastes.
    And failing all that you can now proudly drive a BMW because it was produced by a "Company Of Ideas."
    My problem with such an approach is that BMW may alienate quite a few of their core customers by building autos that reflects mainstream tastes.

Give just one example in their history.
    He lost me with "real world needs like driving a family."
    Sounds more like an advertisement for an Acura MDX.
    Hope it doesn't become a "Company of bad ideas"
    They want to expand their customer base, then make iDrive optional across all their lines.