Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Thanks hans. You guys are pretty hardcore with your mpg.Thats cool. I was into that scene for awhile many years ago(no spreadsheets though...you can't get more hardcore than breaking out a spreadsheet)...just for fun...lost interest.

Almost have 4,000 miles on my 2004 Mazda MPV.Wanted to put some miles on the engine before checking mpg.Plan on checking for the first time at next fill up. I am guesstamating about 20mpg

combined (60hgwy/40city)I'm sure most of you have a pretty good idea of your mpg without having to calculate it out.(or look at your overhead trip computer)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • metchmetch Member Posts: 2
    You are lucky to have an odyssey that is getting 19-20 mpg. My 2005 Sienna only gets 15 mpg. I have been driving it for 3 months but the gas mileage still not good. It is not improving than the dealer told me.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    metch - it's not improving when you calculate it by hand, or by the onboard computer or both?
  • jenlarjenlar Member Posts: 1
    I had my van for 2 months mainly doing city driving. I am getting only 15-16 mpg. Also, I have noticed that the metal strip holding the rubber gasket for the driver side sliding door is rusting and the fabric on the door is bubbling.
  • ddownddown Member Posts: 6
    2005 Chrysler T&C LX 3.3L -Wild Occurance during both legs of trip best mileage in the Mountains I81 from Knoxville to I66 averaged over 28.7 coming and going in the mountains THis is a 387 mile leg of the trip?? Theories? why can I only get 24-25 on the flats but almost 29 in the mountains running 70MPH? confirmed figures from trip computer with gas added into miles driven?? WILD !!!
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    "I had my van for 2 months mainly doing city driving. I am getting only 15-16 mpg. Also, I have noticed that the metal strip holding the rubber gasket for the driver side sliding door is rusting and the fabric on the door is bubbling."

Can't answer about the rust or bubbling, but if your getting 15-16 mpg on your Odyssey in mostly city driving, it's not bad. When they give you estimated mpg city, it is also believed a certain percentage of that is mixed with highway driving. So if your not putting on that highway driving, your mpg city, will be lower than what was on the sticker.
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    Interesting - I had a 92 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.3 from 92 to 01 and then traded it for a 99 T&C Ltd with the 3.8 which we had until last summer. We live in east-central FL and go to Indiana two or three times a year. On every trip, going or coming, we always got our best mileage on the center leg of the trip through the rolling country of northern GA, TN, and southern KY.

I tried to explain this phenomenon by the fact that we left home in FL early in the morning and the oil and fluids were still cold for part of the way until our first fill up south of Atlanta. But in summer, even early morning temps aren't all THAT cold. And on the return trip, we always filled up in GA just before the FL line - and our fuel economy still went down for that last tank driving in FL!

Also, early morning starts meant that we didn't begin to run the A/C until our first fuel stop. And I was always on the gas a lot more in the hills as I tried to maintain speed on the upgrades.

Another of life's little mysteries. We are waiting for our 2005 T&C Touring as I write, so we shall see if the situation remains the same with it.

We always got around 21-22 mpg in our suburban (traffic lights around a mile or more apart and 40% interstate) driving and up to 26-27 mpg on the highway with the Dodge. The T&C returned 19-21 mpg in suburban driving (but traffic has gotten heavier around us in recent years) and a best of about 25 on the highway. But I'm usually around 80 mph on the interstates, so I don't consider these figures half bad.
  • tracy3tracy3 Member Posts: 10
    First tank driven 291 miles yielded 18.1 mpg.

Second tank driven 297 miles yielded 18.04 mpg.

3rd and 4th tank results were 20.01 and 20.08 mpg respectively

Up to about 1450 total miles of mild mannered driving on predominantly highway and interstate. It's an improvement!
  • azkid2azkid2 Member Posts: 47
    I am thinking of buying an '05 ODY, but if I can't get close to the MPG I'm already getting on my '04 I might wait awhile. Would you keep us posted on your results> I just can't find many who are getting the MPG I'm presently getting.
  • mcsapmcsap Member Posts: 15
    2nd tank of gas got 26 mpg on the highway.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    05 Quest SL (5 speed automatic) with around 3,000 miles on it driven 70% highway 30% back roads in the last few weeks. Last four fillups (905 miles) were 22.0, 22.3, 21.8, 22.1. We reset the trip computer with each tank and it's pretty close to these numbers, which were calculated from the log.

This is much better than break-in. When the gas stations switch over from the winter blend I wouldn't be surprised if it went up another 1-1.5 mpg.

This is a GREAT vehicle! Even the minivan haters like driving it.
  • tracy3tracy3 Member Posts: 10
    1st tank 18.1 mpg
    2nd tank 18.04 mpg
    3rd tank 20.01 mpg
    4th tank 20.08 mpg
    5th tank 19.87 mpg @ >1500 miles

I agree w/ Stickguy as well. Not bad mileage for the size of the vehicle. However, it's certainly not what's touted in all of the automotive reviews or the "window sticker". Posted are 30/70 city/highway miles. I'm sorta interested in watching the trend as it relates to the "wait for the engine to break in" advice. Anecdotally, I've found that as your "low" mileage continues to persist, the suggested break-in also increases. :o)
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I have a 2005 Dodge GC with the 3.8 and about 1,100 miles on it. First tank I filled when only half empty.

1st. tank 16.10 mpg.
    2nd. tank 18.77 mpg.
    3rd. tank 19.66 mpg.
    4th. tank 18.75 mpg.

This is also about 70/30 highway/city driving.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    1st tank 16.97
    2nd tank 19.14
    3rd tank 14.84
    4th tank 11.41
    5th tank 11.16 (1066 miles)

That 5th tank was the worst ever (this was winter in Anchorage). The lifetime average is 21.4.

Steve, Host
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Steve,
    I get better than that with my Suburban. Only got 19 once on a long trip. Never under 12.4 mpg around town with the truck sitting for weeks on end. I was starting to think I might like the Odyssey EX-L with that slick NAV. If the combined average is under 20 I would not consider it. Is anyone getting 20/28 EPA rating with that fancy VCM V6?
    It took about 10,000 miles before the Quest really hit its stride. The mileage has continued to go up (very marginally) to today (101,000 miles). The best tank was 29.95 at 90,493. Previous best was 29.0 at 31,166 miles.

Oops, just noticed a 10.31 tank at 28,533 miles. Probably a typo. :-)

I'd love a NAV - got lost yet again today going to a store I've been to at least four times before (turned too early and got stuck in a dead end industrial area). My lifetime mpg would be great if I could take away all my cruising around lost. I even checked Mapquest before I left, but forgot to print the map out.

Steve, Host
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Steve,

You deserve a free Nav system for all the great work you do in these forums. You have a talent for moderating with sensitivity and tolerance.

Kudos to you.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    i second this...
    Thanks, but you guys are off-topic :-)

Steve, Host
  • rgb2rgb2 Member Posts: 31
    First tank - 19.7 mpg with roughly 50/50 city/hwy.
    That was on whatever 87 gas I got from the dealer. Just filled up with 91 Shell - will see if it makes any difference.
  • minivandriverminivandriver Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2005 Odyssey Ex-L that now has over 1000 miles on it. We have been getting at best 15.7 miles a gallon from the start and this is not improving. My wife and I drive it gingerly and the eco light is almost always on. We are very disappointed with this dismal mileage which is far below the 20/28 claim that Honda makes. Our dealer service guy says there is nothing he can do since there are no warning lights on. From browsing the Odyssey forum it seems that this is the norm for most new Odyssey owners. If that is the case we should be compensated by Honda for their false mileage claims. The good mileage was a major reason we bought the vehicle. Rather than enlist a regular attorney it seems this would most suitably be handled by the state attorney general. The attorney general specializes in these cases where a major manufacturer makes false claims to the detriment of the public and probably would love to go after Honda. Even better, it is free (well our taxes pay for it). So if you are disappointed in your new Odyssey mileage please phone or email your state attorney general to get them on the case.
  • xfactorxfactor Member Posts: 78
    I have a 1999 lx 117,000 miles and a 2005 exl-dvd. Love both vans but have been disappointed with the gas mileage on the 2005. 2005 van low 16.5 MPG high 21MPG. 1999 LX Low (as best I can tell from my records) 18mpg best 28mpg life time average around 24.

I hear all the stories about break-in period and winter driving so I compared 99 lx over 2 weeks to 2005 EXL-DVD. 1st week new van used for 440 miles of round trip commuting gas mileage 20.11 mpg 2nd week used old van (99 lx) for same 440 mile round trip commute 24.22mpg.

That old technology really works. Off topic but new van better riding and quiet vs. 99 lx. 99 lx feels like it handles better. Be interested in comparing the road holding index on 2005 to 1999 (.74 if I remember) when the 2005 number comes out.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    our '99 Quest never got mileage like steve's. Best ohighway leg was 25, but I also never drove for economy. We averaged around 14-15ish normally, but that was very local short hop driving.

The '05 Ody gets about the same 15 local. We haven't taken a trip in the last couple of months, but coming home from Christmas (with LT 1K on it) I think we did about 23-24.

I need to get it on a decent highway run to see what it will do know. We are almost up to 2K on the clock.

I have my expectations set low, sinve the stop/go we do is deadly for mileage, and highway runs are ususally a combo of 75+, with hills, and some local back highways with lights.

Some day I will take a drive south with the CC set at 67 to see what it can really do. Or not.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Honda isn't claiming anything. They are required, by law, to print 20/28 on the sticker. That's what the EPA test results were, so they had to use them!

Hard to blame them for using the results in advertising, but they always have the YMMV disclaimer, and I'm sure they know that they will get some flack when noone can replicate the results.

• davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    Averages around 21 mpg, but with the last few snow storms 19.2 and 20.4 respectively...
    town & country driving (hills) with occational open roads. Regular low grade 86 octane.

can't wait till spring...
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    My first two tanks were used to drive from Detroit to PA...all interstate around xmas (winter). I was getting 24MPG with 1000 miles at end of trip. Now back in Detroit with 3000 miles, I'm averaging 19 MGP in city/short trips
  • jim1462jim1462 Member Posts: 40
    Have had the van 4 months and 3700 miles(One 1000 mile trip),and the rest city/rual driving.Overall gas mileage is 22.83,and the trip avg. was 23.75(75-80 mph). I think this is acceptable for a 4600lb lead sled with a built in head wind.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    With winter driving, the overall average has dropped to 25.0 MPG from the 26.1 MPG it was averaging in the summer.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Anybody know why the Sienna went from EPA 27 (2004) to 26 (2005) on the highway. Did they change the gearing?
    2005 exl-DVD. Left NY just after midnight so no traffic cruise control set at 68 same on return. Gas mileage 24.012 MPG.
    I would expect much better for that trip at that speed. I get close to 30 mpg going that speed and my minivan is rated at 24 highway - First Gen Ody.
    Agreed. I have kept my 1999 Lx and have made this trip many times and have done the cruise control thing at 68mph and have gotten as much as 28.5 mpg.

So far I am disappointed with the new HO gas mileage. I would add to achieve higher gas mileage with the new HO you really have to watch your driving and avoid accelerating to fast. The 99 HO you just drive and still achieve good gas mileage.

I am holding out hope on Steve's (Host) comment that his gas mileage went up over time.

To round out the earlier post DVD was on as was Heat and A/C, 7 people estimated weight including luggage 900 pounds. With the 1999 LX I really never noticed a material difference to having the DVD (aftermarket) and the heat/AC on vs. not having them on. As for the weight carried I have never gone anywhere of any distance with less then 800 pounds so never developed a comparison.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Something tells me that whether or not your DVD is on or not will have little effect on your gas mileage. Were your electric seats on? Perhaps that was affecting things....8^)
    My son's 2001 Ody EX gets between 20 and 24 on trips but he does not keep accurate, long term records.
    Obviously I drive more conservatively and get 25 to 27.5 MPG on round trips in my 2002 Chrysler T&C LX with 3.3L engine.
    I think it would be easy for me to get the same 30 MPG in a 1999-2004 Odyssey on a round trip that you are getting.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I think the additional weight may have somethign to do with the gas mileage. YOu are talking 5300-5400 pounds. 24 mpg is pretty good for that weight.
    Having driving the NJT and I95 route more times than I can count, I can't imagine doing it at 68 mph, even if you promised me 35 mpg! At that speed, school buses will run you off the road.

OT, I got 16.5 mpg on the last around town tank on our '05 EX-L (up from around 15). Weather was a little better, and did a few more "excursions", which to us is going 5 miles on a local highway to a different shopping center, and a 20 mile round trip to a concert.

We will take a vacation over easter, so it will be my first chance to check highway mpg since just after we bought it (at Xmas). I have 6 years of baseline numbers on this route with our '99 Quest, so I will really be able to tell what it can do. If I average 24 on the trip, I will be very happy.

Heated seats were on for about an 1hr.

In my view the diff. has to do with the engine.

99 LX 205-210 HP 2005 - 255 HP. You can easily tell the difference in pick-up.

Generally I have found the 99 HO's to do better on MPG than the later models as HP was bumped to 240.

I do expect the MPG to go up somewhat when we make our annual trip to SC. Usually 6-7 straight hours of driving on cruise control all highway at 65-70 MPH before we make our 1st stop.

Overall the van is great was just hoping the VCM would achieve MPG comparable to the 99 HO.

"Stickguy"
    "Having driving the NJT and I95 route more times than I can count, I can't imagine doing it at 68 mph, even if you promised me 35 mpg! At that speed, school buses will run you off the road."

I make the NY DC run at least 8-12 times a year. The traffic is horrible most of the time during the day. I grew tired of the 5-8 hour trips. For the last several years I leave around 12:00am-3:00am and take a leisurely drive down at 65-70 MPH you get there in about 4 hours. At that time there is virtually no-one on the road to run you over.

I absolutely refuse to to leave NY at a time that will put me at the DC Virginia border after 6:00am when heading further south.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Usually 6-7 straight hours of driving.....before we make our 1st stop."

I used to be able to drive like that.....and then I got married.
    I used to be able to drive like that, then I got old.

I got married have 4 children and feel old.

If my destination is 10 hours non-stop it turns into 13 hours. 1st 7hrs wife and children sleeping 12:00am -7:00am which leaves 3 hours driving however, 1st stop is long 2 hrs breakfast etc. etc. now wife and kids are up and odds are a different person will need to stop every 30 minutes. It takes awhile to unbuckle and buckle those car seats.

Packing morning before hitting the sack at 3:00pm and leaving at 12:00am when kids are just drifting off is the only way I will travel.

To keep on topic leaving this time saves alot of gas. You have to get out of the Boston Washington corridor as quickly as possible. One downside vs. leaving in day light is you lose the opportunity to really study the imperfections in the guard rails and overpasses while cruising on I95 at 20 mph.

Done for now will post gas mileage again if it changes.
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    For many years and several vehicles, I have kept a notebook in each vehicle and have recorded miles driven and gas used (as well as repair and maintenance info). For our '04 Sienna LE, bought in Nov. of 2003:

13,532.6 miles
    634.9 gallons
    21.3 miles per gallon

We use the Sienna for commuting and so we have more highway miles than city miles, but it's also a five-person carpool, and a 6-cyl. engine, so I've been pleased with the overall gas mileage.

As a comparision, here are the numbers for our '04 CR-V EX, bought one year ago, almost to the day.

11,250.1 miles
    540.9 gallons of gas
    20.8 miles per gallon

With the CR-V (4-cyl, AWD), it's probably a 30% highway and 70% city (actually, suburban) mix of driving.

Best recorded mileage for both vehicles - a trip to Tennessee my wife took in the CR-V and a trip to and around New England we took in the Sienna - is the same: 25.9 mpg.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I did many trips from boston to dc and boston to toronto when I was young and fresh (10 hr trip)by myself with no problem in the following choice automobiles:

84 plymouth acclaim
    85 buick skylark
    88 taurus
    86 civic

I was at my best when I did a 24 hr drive from boston to orlando and I only had 2 redbulls.

now I got tired for just driving an hour with kids screaming and wife yapping.

what gives?
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    I would tell you, but I can't remember why I came into the room....?!?
  • flutesiennaflutesienna Member Posts: 1
    My 01 Sienna seems to be a "gas gulper" after driving my 4 cyl. 98 Totota Corolla. My 21 gal tank seems to empty very fast after 330 miles. Do I need a tune-up?
    I have always been able to exceed EPA Highway ratings although City ratings appear optimistic.
    My 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L V6 is rated 18 City 24 Highway and I usually get between 25 and 28 on round trips. The AVERAGE since I purchased it has dropped to 24.9 MPG because of winter driving.
    EPA Highway ratings are actually lower than the actual mileage a conservative driver would get on the open road if the vehicle is driven at or below the posted speed limit.
    However, City driving has too many variations to make a realistic comparison.
  • utterutter Member Posts: 79
    From Charlotte, NC to Richmond, VA via interstate - 25.6 miles per gallon...
  • firstdaddyfirstdaddy Member Posts: 19
    Well, it appears that folks on this forum are not the only ones getting poor mileage with the new Odyssey. A couple of clips from the initial write-up:

“We've only put around 700 miles on the van (it came to us with around 2,000 miles on the clock), so it's a little early to tell whether our average fuel economy of 17 mpg will improve. We imagine it will increase once we get a few long trips under our belts that will allow the VDC to do its thing. Our 1999's average over two years was 18.3 mpg.”

“Current Odometer: 2,710
    Best Fuel Economy: 17.2 mpg
    Worst Fuel Economy: 16.7 mpg
    Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 17.0 mpg
    Body Repair Costs: None
    Maintenance Costs: None
    Problems: Possible slow leak in front passenger tire.”

I’m glade to see AAA challenging the EPA’s outdated formulas for calculating fuel economy. It is rediculious for people to be getting such low mileage on such a technologically advanced vehicle as the 2005 Odyssey. I could have easily been one of the very angry Odyssey buyers, but opted for the Sienna due to the softer ride quality. The wife and I have been able to manage about 18.5 mpg in the city and about 24mpg on highway trips. With gas now going over $2 a gallon, we’re pleased with our purchase decision, but averaging around 20 mpg overall is still nothing to celebrate.
    Did AAA challenge the dismal 15/20 rating of the Kia Sedona when it first came out? Is that why the Sedona now has a higher 16/22 EPA rating even though it is still the lowest of all modern minivans?
    Is the Sedona engine inefficient when the 3.5L V6 produces only 195 HP and 218 lb-ft Torque while the same size Odyssey 3.5L V6 produces 255 HP and 250 lb-ft Torque and also gets much higher 19/25 (or 20/28 with VCM) EPA ratings?
    I think the VCM fools the extremely gentle EPA tests, but in the real world the engine is the same as the non VCM.

In the CR tests the new VCM mileage was the same as the old non VCM.

Remember that when the eco light is on it does not mean VCM is engaged, just that you are driving economically.