Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I'm impressed. Despite the faux wood, the interior I think generally looks richer and more upscale than the RL. The center stack plastics are 1000% better than the RL's "boom box" look. I think this is the first truly positive example of Acura's "new look" on the inside.

• tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I also think it looks terrific for a mid-upper priced SUV. My guess is that most, (except hpowders, ;) ) will also be impressed with the interior.

BTW, good job on the pics.

TagMan
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Not to start anything...but i think this interior has already been done, only better, in the B9 Tribeca

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    The B9 must be a hit in Austin. Looks like the UT Longhorn logo. However, I always liked the swept-forward aspect of the Honda/Acura dashboards.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I already posted on the 2007 Acura MDX thread that I love the vehicle, inside and out.
    Coming from BMW's over the last 13 years, the interior is indeed a sight to behold.
    The 545 is sooo drab, but then again I didn't lease it for its interior aesthetics, but to outrun ol' smokey. :shades:

They had some nice shots of the MDX on Motor Week yesterday, and I was impressed by the fine job Acura did-looked great in silver.

Most impressive was I didn't notice any significant body lean when it was being driven hard at the track.

I have yet to see one negative review. :surprise:

This will indeed IMO, be the luxury mid-sized SUV to be reckoned with, if people can see the vehicle for what it truly is and stifle their status bias.
    A warning shot has just been fired directly at BMW, Audi and Porsche, no doubt about it.

Now let's see if Acura can perform another miracle-this time on the RL.

Well, 2 weeks and my football season is over.
    That didn't take long! :sick:
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    How did Acura get the RL and MDX's interior mixed up at the assembly plants? Because for sure, that's the RL's interior that you posted instead of the lesser ranked SUV. Surely, Acura didn't let a lowly old SUV take best in showroom on interiors.

Maybe Acura has a mid-cycle update coming for the RL as this interior is quite eye-catching. It's not quite Audi Q7 grade, but it is leaps and bounds over the previous annonymous interior styling. And better than some SUV's in it's class, particularly the SRX, Lexus GX and better than some high-zoot SUV's like the Navigator(what are they thinking on the '07 model, inside and out?) QX56, and the LC/LX(no doubt due in part to them being 12 years old, but Toyota supposedly has a plan for these two to keep the off-road prowess and newfound trend into on-road pleasure).

One question tho: Why did they leave the gear shifter crooked? That little caveat is an eye sore to someone who studies interior quality/design as seriously as I do. The fake wood does have a sort of matte/dark finish to it, so it takes some of the sting away from being faux. And if Acura keeps prices steady(a Honda norm), and keeps the promise of the MDX not being shared with the next-gen Pilot(or Oddessey), then the MDX could and should prove more successful than the current model..
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    A warning shot has just been fired directly at BMW, Audi and Porsche, no doubt about it.

The main reason I like the MDX is because the third row seats are sold as a standard feature.

Other automakers sell a third row as an option and will let custotomers pay through their noses for that feature. Just watch out for the new X5 pricing for a third row seat ( I guarantee you it wont be cheap). Also I used to favor the X5 over other SUVs because the 3.0 was sold with a stick. Unfortunately that will not be the case for the new generation X5.

In fact a MDX with a third row is far more practical for my family driving needs than our 5 series wagon. Unfortunately I am not that practical.

The 545 is sooo drab, but then again I didn't lease it for its interior asthetics, but to outrun ol' smokey

After owning BMWs for 8 years with the intention of owning my current and soon to be BMW for another 8 years I think by 2015 I will be ready to buy a non-BMW. Look out for my presence in the upcoming Edmunds 2015 Lexus LS forum :P
    I already posted on the 2007 Acura MDX thread that I love the vehicle, inside and out.

Yes, but I couldn't resist a poke due to your statement about fake wood.

Well, 2 weeks and my football season is over.
    That didn't take long!

I'm with you. The Raiders are the WORST, so I'll just stay focused on the 49ers for a while. At least they won today. It's cool having so many pro teams here.

TagMan
    Fake wood is tacky in a non-luxury auto.
    And tackiest off all in a luxury auto.

There is nobody and I repeat nobody ( Acura executive or non-Acura executive) who can justify fake wood in the MDX.

It's atrocious and inexcusable!
    A little similar, yes, but the MDX doesn't have that odd-ball "smiley face" shape of the Tribeca's center stack. I don't see how the Tribeca is "better" in any way. The "aluma-look" just looks fake, and the switch gear in the Acura is in another league. The Subaru is more akin to Highlander, and Santa Fe. Subaru thinks they are a luxury brand, but they aren't.
    Maybe Acura has a mid-cycle update coming for the RL as this interior is quite eye-catching. It's not quite Audi Q7 grade, but it is leaps and bounds over the previous annonymous interior styling. And better than some SUV's in it's class, particularly the SRX, Lexus GX and better than some high-zoot SUV's like the Navigator(what are they thinking on the '07 model, inside and out?)

Hard to say about the RL. Honda\Acura mid-cycle updates are typically very minor. The inside of the Q7 is basically an A6, so it leads this class. The MDX is now very competitive though with the SRX, ML, X5, XC90, and the rest. The MDX probably has the best shot of taking the RX's #1 title.

The new Navigator is horrific. Just more proof that Lincoln has absolutely no idea what it's doing, and is just throwing darts in the dark.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    But lose the "Battlestar Galactica" exterior!

Maybe this girl can cook like Aunt Jemima, but she has the appeal of Rosie McDonald!

Looks aren't everything.

Especially when you look like that... :sick:

Funny how every Acura has a fly in the Preperation H?

TSX (no torque), TL (FWD), RL (No V8, small interior), MDX (from blotted look to plate-mail look).....

I can hear a Lexus engineer sleeping, if not snoring, quite soundly tonite. ;)

This from an pristine Acura Integra owner, which attracts only fly "Honeys"!

But, they do have good Nav sytems.

And are not Lincolns!

DrFill
    There is nobody and I repeat nobody ( Acura executive or non-Acura executive) who can justify fake wood in the MDX.

Yeah, at the $40K+ level, it should be real, I agree. Real wood doesn't automatically make a good interior though. Take the outgoing Escalade, for example. The wood was real, but it still looked like a Silverado on the inside.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Looks pretty good. The only thing I don't like is where the leather part reaches down over the center vents to touch the wood at the top of the center stack, it looks unresolved IMO.

I still think I like the new X5's interior better.

M
    But lose the "Battlestar Galactica" exterior!

I'm with you . . . the fake wood I could live with, given it's mid-price range, but the Gladiator grill has got to go.

And . . . just look at that beautiful X5 interior!

TagMan
    The new Navigator is horrific. Just more proof that Lincoln has absolutely no idea what it's doing, and is just throwing darts in the dark.

Oh god yes. Have you seen those gauges? They're right out of something that was on the road before I was born! The grille looks like chicken wire most of the time. Ford obviously didn't have enough money to redesign the whole platform for all their large suvs so they've resorted to a "facelift" to face the newer models from Cadillac and others.

M
    Put a diesel in that X5, and I'd consider the thing.

TagMan
    Well I'm sure BMW, Audi and anyone else wanting to sell a diesel in all 50 states is going to be waiting to see how the EPA and Mercedes-Benz settle the whole thing about customers adding and keeping track of Adblue in their cars. I've read all types of things on this. The EPA even wanted automakers to make it where the vehicle won't start if it is running low or is out of adblue! Naturally MB and GM (suprise) objected to this. The EPA is supposed to announce their guidelines by the end of the year. BMW has specifically stated that they will not sell a diesel here until they can do so in all 50 states.

M
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I didn't know you made your bones selling Acuras!

We may need to change your moniker :P

DrFill
    I do like other brands/cars, many others Doc.

I've liked Acuras since 1986 (day one) in some form or another. The original legends and especially the 1995 GS version really put Acura in with me. Of course there have been some dour years, especially after the "Legend" left the lineup, but that is another story.

M
    That X5 interior is absolutely beautiful. I love that color combo scheme.

On the MDX, what I've come up with is Acura's usual restraint. They don't won't to over do it, but they don't sweat the details enough to make a potential buyer go "wow", much unlike an Audi or Lexus or MB GL buyer would do. The fake wood is a bit of a let down, especially with the brand being reported saying that they are wanting to take the MDX up market. But if they've improved the handling dynamics and have eliminated that floaty ride, it may be worth a look.
    I they think it takes 93 days average to sell just one Navigator off a lot, then wait to one of the buyers go to upgrade from the 3 year old model to new to only find out they can't read the gauges because they're from 50 YEARS AGO.

And to boot, with a Cadillac dealer usually very close to the Lincoln dealer it will be very hard to:

Move the MKS= CTS
    Move the MKZ= SRX
    Move the Navigator= Escalade
    Move the T/C= America's fav. domestic, the DTS

And the LS doesn't stand a chance against an STS
    The EPA did not expect the automakers to be able to rise to the new certification laws set forth by the government until 2010 at the very earliest.

Well when MB saw that the demand for the E320 CDI started to exceed supply, things got pretty interesting at DCX. So much so that they've put a ML, GL, S, and even some 300 and Charger Bluetec Chryslers through the ringer with the EPA to get certification. And with the outcry for more fuel efficient cars in all classes, the automakers have gotten the technology to the table faster than expected.

So now there are addendums and by-laws attached in an attempt to smack down the car guys. But they're not going away easily.

You've got automakers collaborating on diesel-electric technology. You've got an automaker that has just poured an extra $1B in it's HSD program. And it goes on and on.

With the EPA actually asking makers to have an override to not let the car start if it's deemed not efficient enough is a testament of how far they'd go. Well the damage is done. Where were they in the last 100 years??
    Yeah I'm really curious to see how this plays out. Once this hurdle is cleared there will be a sizeable diesel push by the Germans I predict. BMW has a particularly strong 6-cylinder engine in Europe. I think C&D tested a 330d recently and asked the question whether or not it was the best 3-Series. I think between the E/GL/R/ML and upcoming S and even the C, I think MB can move about 40K diesels a year. I think.

M
    Yeah Lincoln is just wandering around aimlessly. The new MKS sedan they have coming next year won't have a V8. Makes no sense because it is based on the new Volvo S80 chassis and the Volvo will offer the V8. Then there is Linc's new naming convention. MKX, MKS, MKZ nothing but mass confusion, IMO.

I just came to realize another why American car companies can't make any headway, they don't stick to anything. Who comes out with a car and changes the name and facelifts it for the second model year? This is the case with the Zephyr. I mean doesn't that confuse buyers and make the first year car something of an orphan? They'll run with a nameplate for a few redesigns and then dump it, usually after they're ruined it anyway so I guess I can see why they change, but it is still a defeatism practice.

The only real bright spot, IMO is that new crossover , the MK something.

M
    The rest of the interior more than makes up for it IMO-a truly fine job by Acura.

If I were purchasing an SUV, it is the driveability of the new MDX being compared to Porsche and BMW, rather than a thin strip of test tube "wood" that would be enhancing my decision.
    Well for the latest edition of the most popular dictionary sold in Florida, there is a picture next to the definition of "worst" to help explain the word's meaning, and it is of Chris Simms and those miserable Bucs. :mad:
    In the past, BMW has always saved its finest interior for the X5.
    I have driven the 4.4 and it was superb.
    That's where you will find some beautiful wood.
    Yes. The battlestar front grill is what I like least too. Must be a horrible reflector when hit by sunlight.

I would imagine Acura designers in attempting to bring the vehicle away from its staid exterior got carried away and made it a bit too garish.
    Still not a deal breaker, IMO.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hmm, the picture next to "worst" in dictionaries in these parts is of the Redskins. ;)
    I still think I like the new X5's interior better.

It is very nice, but there still is a bit of "tiny button syndrome" despite the iDrive, and I'm not crazy about that shifter, though its better than the ML's stubby column shifter.
    Yeah Lincoln is just wandering around aimlessly. The new MKS sedan they have coming next year won't have a V8. Makes no sense because it is based on the new Volvo S80 chassis and the Volvo will offer the V8. Then there is Linc's new naming convention. MKX, MKS, MKZ nothing but mass confusion, IMO.

I think the idea is to use forced induction with the Duratec 35, rather than the V8. How long the S80 will offer the V8 is in question. Ford wants to kill use of the Yamaha V8, because of its expense. The only option I see is to either switch to the AJ-V8, or kill the S80 V8 entirely.

I just came to realize another why American car companies can't make any headway, they don't stick to anything. Who comes out with a car and changes the name and facelifts it for the second model year?

This was brought up in a C&D ed piece a few months back. They mentioned that both Accord and Camry have been on sale in the U.S. for almost 30 years. Sales have always been good, and neither has required a name change.

The only real bright spot, IMO is that new crossover , the MK something.

The MKX, which is a Ford Edge clone. I'm sure Lincoln in their infinite wisdom will come up with a way to ruin any chance of success, count on the interior designers for that.
    My vote is still for the Bucs.
    3 points in 2 games. :sick:
    Yeah I'm really curious to see how this plays out. Once this hurdle is cleared there will be a sizeable diesel push by the Germans I predict. BMW has a particularly strong 6-cylinder engine in Europe. I think C&D tested a 330d recently and asked the question whether or not it was the best 3-Series. I think between the E/GL/R/ML and upcoming S and even the C, I think MB can move about 40K diesels a year. I think.

I know one way it will play out . . . Show me a really nice diesel SUV, and it's mine. I'll be an instant buyer . . . no discount required! Only condition is that it is not humongous.

TagMan
    VW T'Regg V10-TDI???? With the company reworking the thing from top to bottom/inside out, it's no brainer.

For '07(late), the V10 gets a messaged 5.0L TDI, in excess of 325hp/530lb-ft of torque thanks to the use of trick piezo injectors for a more sophisticated and instantaneous fuel delivery(in other words, this is the same stuff MB is installing on the new Bluetecs, so no more cold-start up clatter and the smoke is history). The suspension system has been recalibrated for more refinement, and the interior has been cranked up a notch even further, definetely not lacking in that department.

BTW: I can't think of one 5k pound SUV that can get 20/26mpg earned EPA city/highway.
    VW's SUV has a terrific interior.

I forgot to mention the all-important third-row requirement . . . which makes the MB GL with the upcoming diesel the only contender I know of so far . . . unless that beautiful X5 finally goes diesel, or the upcoming diesel VW gets a third row.

TagMan
    Interesting. Jaguar continues to prove itself, but to what result?

link title

TagMan
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    If you're looking at the up and coming...then the Q7 with the V8 TDI or the V12TDI would do.
    think C&D tested a 330d recently and asked the question whether or not it was the best 3-Series

Was that article written before or after they tested the BMW335i?
    An excellent idea now that purchasing is on contention that there is a third row available.

Audi has recently scrubbed the notion of the V8 diesel that they use in the Euro markets as it would prove useless to retrofit it for the now-stringent US emission laws.

With that being said, the company says it will now use the same V10-TDI from VW(Porsche is also said to use this engine) that is ready for sale 45 states right now. But the racing -derived V12 TDI is still own, along with a sportier Q7 with a hi-po version of Audi's new CPRI 4.2L V8 that they'll use in the new A8.

BTW: The Sport and TDI version will get DSG. How cool is that?
    I thought Canadian car prices were inflated until I read that in South Korea luxury cars are double the US price level

link title
    Toyota reported today that the company would raise worldwide output about 40%, by 2008!!!

They also mentioned that they will increase production for the US market by 25%, thanks in no small part to the launch of the new Tundra(as ugly as it may be) and it's heavy-duty variants, a first for a US market Toyota pick-up.

The projected rankings for worldwide domination will end as follows:

The General: 13.9%
    Toyota: 12.3%
    Ford: 12.0%

Yes folks, Toyota will beat Ford worldwide. They also said that that there will be a major shift towards Eastern Europe and China, areas that GM absolutely dominates. By 2010, if GM stays on it's steady pace and Toyota's output actually works, Toyota would become #1, reports suggests.
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    blkhemi:

Where do you get your info? To my knowledge, Toyota already surpassed GM since early 2006 (world market).

The news that Toyota just surpassed Ford and reached No.2 was regarding US sales.
    I hope as they ramp up production they will be able to keep track of their quality control. So far with all their major recalls that has certainly not happened.

What is Toyota without reliability and quality? Obviously nothing more than a GM! I guess it's really tough being number one.

The greatest competitive advantage for any auto company is not to have any dealings with the UAW. Fortunately Toyota is not drowned by humungous healthcare/pension legacy costs.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    You might want to do some checking. GM sells far more vehicles in Europe, China, Australia, South America than Toyota.

Believe blkhemi's numbers are correct.
    Appears Dr. Z's message about MB engineering in Chryslers is just not working as planned. He is certainly no Iaccoca. Here is a little blurb from Wall Street Journal.

Created by the Detroit office of Omnicom Group's BBDO, the "Dr. Z" campaign cost $100 million and has been running since July. It relies on Mr. Zetsche, with his distinctive, bushy mustache and German accent, for a light-hearted setting of a somewhat complicated message about how Chrysler cars share engineering and design features with higher-priced Mercedes sedans, or how Jeep SUVs are clean and fuel efficient.

But the ads have become the butt of scorn from some ad critics, even though industry research shows the ads were memorable. Critics often pointed to studies showing that many people believed Dr. Z wasn't a real person. Detroit area resident Carrie Belcher, who has a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Volkswagen Passat in her family, said she assumed he was a fake character and was surprised to learn he was DaimlerChrysler's CEO. But she said the ads made her laugh. "I thought it was kind of fun that the CEO was that quirky and funny," she said. (Mr. Zetsche does have a doctorate in engineering.)

The Chrysler Group vigorously defends the ads, saying the campaign did its job of informing consumers about what Chrysler stands for.

The TV, radio and print portions of the Dr. Z campaign are currently suspended so the company can focus on its clearance sale and new model launches over the next two months

SOURCE: WALL STREET JOURNAL SEPT 18 2006
    Appears Dr. Z's message about MB engineering in Chryslers is just not working as planned. He is certainly no Iaccoca. Here is a little blurb from Wall Street Journal.

The A.E. was on them from day one about those terrible ads. According to Pete, the ads have actually cost DCX more than $200m, without increasing showroom traffic one iota.
    Yes folks, Toyota will beat Ford worldwide. They also said that that there will be a major shift towards Eastern Europe and China, areas that GM absolutely dominates. By 2010, if GM stays on it's steady pace and Toyota's output actually works, Toyota would become #1, reports suggests.

Ford is in big, big trouble. They are slashing (another?) 30K jobs, and closing several more plants as part of "Way Forward 2.0, Mulally addition". They still depend much to heavily on the F-150 and their trucks. The market is going to drop out right under the Explorer. Expedition? Fuggetaboutit. Mercury is done for. Literally no new products until something like 2012.
    With all this talk of Toyota becoming number one and turning into a GM or beating out Ford, let's not forget that in just the last two years alone, Toyota has had two major recalls totalling a whopping 1,750,000 vehicles worldwide. These recalls were not minor as both of these recalls were due to potential steering failure!

But, interestingly, nobody thinks about it. They only remember the Ford Explorer's tires, which Ford didn't even manufacture!

Toyota can do no wrong it would seem, even when a colossal 1.75 million cars worldwide could have lost their steering!

Go figure.

TagMan
    But, interestingly, nobody thinks about it. They only remember the Ford Explorer's tires, which Ford didn't even manufacture!

Its not as if Ford had no clue that tire problems could happen. They didn't want to pay for safe tires.

As for Toyota, read the Edmunds article, Perception is reality. People are willing to give Toyota the benefit of the doubt that they are serious about fixing the recent quality issues, because of their sterling Toyota = quality reputation. The domestics made junk for 20 years, so its a bit harder for them to say "you gotta listen to us, I know we've said this every year for the last 20 years, but the cars really are good now.