Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    What makes a vehicle truly high end? Come talk about it in this new discussion.

Personally, I don't think either the RAV4, the RDX or the X3 qualify, however. ;)
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Fair point. OTOH, just because a car carries a luxury brand does not make it a luxury car either. Witness A and B classes of MB, and to a large degree C class too.

BTW, if stripped compact SUV's with luxury brands make for a market segment (a fair point considering this is a forum on luxury marques, although not quite high end :-) Landrover Freelander with the equally underpowered engine and stripped interior probably was the first entry, two years or so before X3. I'd certainly agree that luxury marques can help sell cars, even if bare-bones ones that are not luxurious at all, at a somewhat marked up prices.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    The RAV 4 is now the equal of the X3? What?

So 10 extra hp V-6 and a size that's now within the size of the X3 is now meant to say they're in the same class?

First off, the RAV4 ain't no X3, nowhere close. Yes, it has slightly more power, but the X3 will flat out smoke it in performance. And with RAV4's rather pedastrian interior as opposed to the more premium materials in the X3, well you actually do get what you pay for.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    IMO I did not see much difference in the two interiors. I know nothing about these two vehicles but to me, neither one is that upscale. The X3 has a reputation of riding like a buckboard and the Rav is just too cramped looking. If someone said I had to buy one of the two I would take the Rav on pricing.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Well, as I mentioned, neither of these vehicles qualify for a "high end" label and I'm not sure why we are talking about them here.

But please, I'd like to hear your reasoning fer or aginst. Come here and do some 'splainin' ;): What makes a vehicle truly high end?
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I was at the game last night, I still have a headache.

Very cool and lucky to have been there . . . but OUCH! Now don't complain too much about losing, cause you've still got a darned terrific team there, unlike some of the rest of us this season!

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I'd certainly agree that luxury marques can help sell cars, even if bare-bones ones that are not luxurious at all, at a somewhat marked up prices.

It comes down to what "is" luxury. There's the badge of course, but if luxury means things like multi-adjustable power seats, leather, dual-zone climate, etc. are must have features, there are many cars from luxury brands that would fail, and many mainstream cars that would pass. I'm of the opinion that an A4 stripper is still a luxury car, and a fully loaded Jetta GLI is not.
    blkhemi - I just know you will appreciate this information, as will a few other posters that are aware of Audi's ascention.

Here's the article:

Audi heading for new record figures in 2006

TagMan
    Yeah, I was aware of Audi's impressive gains. Just a tidbit for all of the naysayers that Audi doesn't compare or is obsolete.
    "I'm of the opinion that an A4 stripper is still a luxury car, and a full loaded Jetta GLI is not."

You couldn't have put it better. Tbat cloth-seated, single-zone AC, 16 inch wheeled is still more of a luxury car than that full-leathered, 18" wheeled, dual-zone AC GLI, no matter how much the Jetta closes in on the Audi's price.

Is the $38K Passat 3.6 4Motion more luxury than the 35-40k IS, 330i, TL, A4, CTS or even ES350? Absolutely not.

Or the fully loaded 36k Nissan Maxima over it's $34k G35S counterpart? Heck no, not even close.

So no, price doesn't even scratch the surface.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    The RAV 4 is now the equal of the X3? What?

So 10 extra hp V-6 and a size that's now within the size of the X3 is now meant to say they're in the same class?

First off, the RAV4 ain't no X3, nowhere close. Yes, it has slightly more power, but the X3 will flat out smoke it in performance. And with RAV4's rather pedastrian interior as opposed to the more premium materials in the X3, well you actually do get what you pay for.

Maybe I came in too late to join this fight, but let's not make the X3 out to be no Range Rover! You got the X3 having a Bentley interior over there. Jeez! Last time I checked, the X3 didn't have a posh interior, as few BMWs do. :confuse:

The X3 is nothing scary, and the Rav4 ain't no RX, fair enough?

DrFill
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I never thought I'd say this, but Ford is in worse shape than GM is and the scary part is that they don't seem to have a clue as to what to do about it. It seems that no other automotive company wants Aston-Martin, the beautiful but high maintanence, expensive to maintain British brand. I would have loved to have seen what BMW could have done with AM. However if Ford sells off Aston to someone that means Jaguar can move up and that will likely save the cat from extinction. My goodness anything that looks this good deserves to be saved!

I think I have a new lust object.

M
    A4s, Jettas, Passats, TLs ISes, 3-Series, ES350s - these are high end how?
    I think I have a new lust object.

Man, do I agree with ya . . . absolutely stunning Jaguar . . . but don't think about trading in your CLK just yet! ;)

TagMan
    This is for you, Doc . . .

Here's two briefs:

link title

link title

TagMan
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Toyota Motor Corp. will buy 5.9 percent of truck- and diesel engine-maker Isuzu Motors Ltd. for $373.0 million, the automaker said today. The companies plan to combine their diesel and alternative drivetrain efforts, perhaps leading to the development of vehicles powered by hybrid diesels.

source Automotive News
    Isuzu makes very good diesel engines. I'd call it a good strategic move by Toyota.

And . . . just another indication that diesels are really coming.

Their written agreement clearly focuses on a collaboration surrounding diesel technology. Here's a little more detail from the same source:

PRESS RELEASE: Isuzu and Toyota sign basic agreement on business collaboration

Diesels . . . ahh, yes. How sweet it is!

TagMan
    The diesel I will likely purchase will be the upcoming GL BlueTec, but it won't be available for one more year as an '08.

I think the wait will be worth it.

TagMan
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Thanks. I've been to two games at Gillette this year. Denver and Indy. Two losses. I'm beginning to get a complex. And I'm fairly sure I won't be invited back! :cry:

New England Patriots: A perfect 6-0 sans Laurasdada! :sick:

And, as a TL owner, I will disagree with the poster(s) criticizing the interior. I find it to be a stylish, functional driving envrionment. While not a huge fan of aluminum, at least it is real and breaks up the sea of (quality and nicely textured) plastic. Also, the faux carbon fiber goes mostly unnoticed by me, inoffensive. The faux, light-colored wood I agree is not very attractive. Too each...

Bring on the Jets, I'm feeling a little better (I'm not quite dead yet...).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I see only one fly in the ointment right now and that is the price of diesel. In my area it has steadily climbed to be about 25% more than reg. $2.50 vs $2.00.

I think that our friends at "Big Oil" will eventually charge us 40% more (than reg) for diesel because it will increase mpg by 40%. That way they get the savings and not us because I think diesel is actually cheaper to make. If diesel will increase your mpg by 40% but costs 40% more, where's the advantage?

Boy, do I hope I am wrong on this!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I think the GL is too skinny for a large SUV. Q7 diesel is a possibility for me, if we decide to wait that long before replacing our LX, and if Audi cleans up its reliability in year 2. I just checked the A8 reliability and that doesn't look too bad, so there is some hope.
    If diesel will increase your mpg by 40% but costs 40% more, where's the advantage?

I will check the local prices here and report back to you, because I know they are much higher overall than your prices . . . lucky you.

But, the higher prices makes diesel's increase less on a percentage basis. If you really believe that diesel will be 40% higher, then you should consider that the E-Class diesel in most of the recent real-life reports achieved an average of 33 mpg overall. The gas-versions of the E in real life typically average about 19 mpg. I know this because I owned one a few years ago with the 430 V8.

So, here is where we are with this. The current percentage increase is about 25%, and you are fearful of 40%. Even if that happens, the E gets almost 73% better mileage with the diesel! That's right . . . the jump from 19mpg to 33mpg is an increase of approximately 73%! I highly doubt diesel fuel's price increase will ever approach that.

Also, with regards to the SUV, there will still be a significant increase in fuel economy, although it is not factually known what percentage increase it will be, but I think it is safe to expect it to be at LEAST 50%. For example, if the gas SUV gets 16 mpg avg. in real life (which is possibly optimistic!), and the diesel only gets 22mpg, then we are talking about a 50% increase in fuel economy.

So, unless something catostrophic happens to the price of diesel fuel, I think it is fair to say that the diesel will be a very good alternative with regards to fuel economy at a real-cost level.

TagMan
    I think the GL is too skinny for a large SUV. Q7 diesel is a possibility for me, if we decide to wait that long before replacing our LX

The Q7 and GL both have a 65" front track and their difference in the rear track is 9/10ths of an inch, hardly worth mentioning. Their lengths are also near identical, with the Q7 coming in at 200.2" and the GL at 200.3". Overall body widths are similar, but I do know that Audi includes the side mirrors in its reported dimension, and I cannot confirm that Mercedes does the same. If so, then the Q7 would seem wider, but the interior width or the width excluding mirrors would be more accurate to really know . . . especially when considering that the front track widths are identical to each other..

In any event, I believe these vehicles to be very similar in their overall dimensions. As you know, the GL was just awarded SUV of the year by Motor Trend with 22 contenders. It's a good write up on a terrific vehicle.

I certainly should add that the Q7 is a nice vehicle, too and I don't want to infer that the GL is the ONLY good choice out there.

I would also expect something new and nice from Lexus soon.

TagMan
    I guess I should have checked! I was going by how the GL "looks" on the road....long and skinny, to my eyes.

My thinking is that Q7 reliability is more likely to improve than ML/GL/R, since that Alabama factory still produced unreliable MLs even late in the previous generation.

I think the rumored JX may be interesting, though more of a crossover and less of an SUV. Am waiting with baited breath. Need to see if it will be roomy enough, primarily.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased a luxury car for the first time and about why you decided to purchase a luxury car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    This is for you, Doc . . .

Here's two briefs:

link title

link title

Thanks, but I can't say this rumor is exactly news to me. How else would Lexus compete with 5.5 Turbo-charged V12s but with hybrids?

DrFill
    How else would Lexus compete with 5.5 Turbo-charged V12s but with hybrids?

Can an apple really compete with an orange?

Y'know Doc . . . I wonder if we have now come to an age where the electric motors of a hybrid are a modern day alternative to a turbocharger or a supercharger. Whereby those motors provide the additional ponies in the same vain as a turbo or blower might add extra power?

It has already been shown that they can add power, but we're talking about a major shift in perception here . . . from fuel economizer to power booster.

Those electric motors are going to have to prove themselves at the top tiers to be taken seriously . . . they will have to compete SUCCESSFULLY against those Turbo-charged v12s to prove their merit . . . and prove that an apple can indeed compete with an orange. We'll see.

TagMan
    Man, do I agree with ya . . . absolutely stunning Jaguar . . . but don't think about trading in your CLK just yet!

Isn't it though. I think my next car could be a XKR or a SL, in about ahh...4 years or so! I'm over (I think) the CLS for the moment and the new CL will still likely be out of reach for me, maybe. That leaves the SL. I sat in one of these for a while the other day while getting my first oil change and man I love that car! The way it seals you up once you're inside is priceless. The smell, the materials the promise of 382hp on the "base" 550 model is just overwhelming.

Then you have the Jag. While the XKR is gorgeous in general, the XK in general has one of the best rear ends in the business. It is classic in the sense that it looks like they "stretch the sheetmetal to cover the chassis". While looking at some XKs while the dealer was closed (Sunday, no pestering from sales folks) I really became drawn to the XK. The car is downright stunning in Jaguar Racing Green with a beige top or Indigo Blue with a blue top. Oh well, the SL/XK decision is years off.

M
    I'm rather skeptical of the 73% increase claim. I had 6cyl MB diesel before. The gas mileage was good, but not that great. Also a jump from 16mpg to 22 is 37.5% increase, not 50%.

In any case, I doubt many in the HELM realm care about gas savings. The real breakthrough on diesel will depend on how the noise, vibration and tail pipe smell work out in long term real life ownership. That, and how the fuel system copes with cold weather. Americans don't take care of their cars like Europeans and Japanese do (e.g. I have never seen any car in the US draped with blanket over the grille like it's common for winter season overseas); our garages are full of whimsical purchases, and many of us do not have the patience or discipline parking two cars tightly side by side into the garage :-) Northeast also happens to be the highest income area outside of California (which is hell bent on tail pipe control), so the acceptance of diesel will depend on how well they start and run smoothly on sub-zero mornings with two inches of snow on the hood ;-) Can the new diesels be idled overnight like the commercial trucks do? and is it noisy on the outside?
    Yup, turbo, nitrous kit, VTEC, performance hybrid are all methods of cheating good old displacement :-)
    I can certainly agree that there is such a thing called luxury brand; i.e. a brand that is mostly associated with luxury products. However something wearing a luxury brand does not automaticly make it a luxury whatever. e.g. Ferrari sells far more souveniors than cars (in terms both revenue and profit) . . . bearing a Ferrari brand however does not make a mug a "performance mug," a baseball hat a "high performance hat" ;-) A case closer to home would be MB A and B classes. These are not luxury cars even with the MB brand. Please note that I never suggested that RAV4 was a luxury compact SUV . . . merely that X3 was not a luxury compact SUV either, despite the BMW badging. It was simply a BMW entry into the compact SUV market segment. We can certainly both agree that X3 is not HELM :-)
    I'm rather skeptical of the 73% increase claim. I had 6cyl MB diesel before. The gas mileage was good, but not that great. Also a jump from 16mpg to 22 is 37.5% increase, not 50%

The 19 mpg rating of an E class V8 is absolutely real-life, as is the 33 mpg reported mpg average of the BlueTec so far. That represents a 73% increase, no matter how you slice it. As far as the 37.5% increase, thanks for catching my typo. I had originally calculated based on a 24 mpg average for the BlueTec SUV, but since I posted 22, it is correct that it should have been 37.5%.

In any case, I doubt many in the HELM realm care about gas savings.

Absolutely not true. Many in this forum DO care about mpg, as proved by syswei's original post about the fuel economy of diesel, and many, many other previous posts that have referred to fuel economy. Sure, many of us are willing to suck it up and pay the fuel costs when its worth it, but on the other hand, most of us are not going to just fork it over unnecessarily.

There's been plenty of enthusiasm on this forum regarding diesels (as opposed to hybrids) as a terrific way to increase fuel efficiency and many of us look forward to it, me being one of them. Sure, there are other benefits to diesels, such as increased torque and longevity, but none is more pronounced than fuel efficiency.

the acceptance of diesel will depend on how well they start and run smoothly on sub-zero mornings with two inches of snow on the hood

Recently diesels represent the largest sales increase ever, and this is in spite of the slim product choices, and further is in the face of hybrids, whose growth percentage is now overshadowed by diesels. Diesel sales projections are greater than hybrids and they are expected to take at least 10% of the market in a relatively short period of time. I had posted these statistics a couple of months ago on this forum.

I have confidence in Mercedes Benz diesels. Their success with diesels is unsurpassed, IMO. Further, the diesel alliance between all the German manufacturers will only help to reinforce the positive perception of diesels.

TagMan
    I'm not that educated about diesel and would like to hear from others here re one of the issues brightness raised. Namely, winter starting of modern diesel engines. Is cold-weather starting sometimes a problem as compared to gas engines? Is the engine supposed to be warmed up before driving off?
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Isn't it though. I think my next car could be a XKR or a SL, in about ahh...4 years or so! I'm over (I think) the CLS for the moment and the new CL will still likely be out of reach for me, maybe. That leaves the SL.

Maybe its just me, but the SL leaves me a bit cold. I've seen that front end on at least three Benzes for years, and when I see one from the front, it takes me a minute to even figure out which Benz it is. I just don't think the SL is a "head turning" car anymore. Combine that with the fact that the XKR outpowers the SL550, costs $10K less, and weighs 400lbs less, well I think the choice is obvious.
    The thoughts that you share for the XK have all been reaffirmed by myself.

I don't know if any of you caught my post a few days back, but I mentioned that I would be going to view an XKR. And WOW! What a machine. This car is phenomenal to say the slightest. And this coming from me, a guy who didn't get to test drive. The car was on a Jaguar tour, so it was their car.

On the SL, I always thought MB could've smoothened out the lines a bit, but, the car is still the king in this arena. And with the '07 refresh, the car is still at attention.

But the Jag just offers something different, including the SC, XLR, and Porsche 911 Cab. It's unique British charm somehow rings through with a new and refreshing flare. If the R8 wasn't on my radar, that XKR would look very good in the stable.

BTW: The CLS' look kinda grew on us in about 6 months and we sold the CLS 55, so I feel ya Merc. First oil change on the CLK? Welcome to the wonderful world of the 180 buck oil change.
    With the modern diesel engine, it's virtually the same as starting a gas engine.

For instance, in my common-rail(most diesels are this way now) equipped '05 Dodge Ram 3500 that I use to haul my showcars from show to show, the truck requires two things: You and the ignition key.

Sure, with the conversion to low-sulfur diesel, some diesel still start with clatter, especially in below freezing weather, however not overbearingly so. But once everything is warmed up, they can be as quite as gas enignes at idle, surprizingly.

Take for instance MB's new 3.2L V-6 Bluetec TD. The engine is quieter at idle than MB's outgoing, once top of the class, 5.0L 302hp, 24V, quad-cam, high-tech V8. This was the engine that started the whole "over 300hp race", with great success.

The Bluetec, conversely, is starting a following. MB has ramped up development of the engines from 365k(including European variants) to 550k, just to take up some of the demand. I've sampled it in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the thing was simply amazing. A short 10 years ago, you could hear a diesel engine a mile away.

And then the mileage awards kick in. The 5.7L HEMI-equipped GC gets 15/19 in EPA ratings on a very good day, while the 220hp/376lbs-ft of torque Bluetec gets 20/26. and this is a truck-based SUV, built for crushing boulders, and still gets to 60 in under 8 secs.

In short, the latest in diesel technology is simply astonishing. You can actually buy a vehicle without the need to worry about what your neighbors may think when you bring home a chugging diesel.

I pulled up next to a new Jetta TDI and there was no way for me to tell if it was gas or oil-burner, as it was just that quiet and refined.

I'm(along with Tag) looking hard at the MB GL Bluetec to replace my Commander as my do-all SUV, because the engine is just that good, surrounded by the best full-sizer on the market today.

Hope this helps..
    Thanks. Didn't realize that you show cars. What do you show? If I go to the Greenwich Concours again maybe I'll see your stuff?
    "If I go to the Greenwich Concours again maybe I'll see you stuff?"

Just maybe.

BTW: For the most part, I'm more into late 50's Detroit and all of the muscle car era.

But I do have a Model A and T that 100% restored to spec that get a lot of attention.

But my most prized possessions are probably rare rides like the Weber fuel-injected '57 Chevy(only 181 made), the super rare '62 Elorado Convert, a '63 Split Window Vette, a '69 Yenko Camaro, and of course the big one, the '71 Challenger R/T 426 HEMI. Since DCX has sparked interest back into this car, these cars are taking close to $400k at Barret-Jackson auction.

As you can see, like myself, the older the better. I go through new cars like drinking water, but the collectable are here to stay.

I saw where you said that you may hold off until the Q7 gets a bit better to get one.

Well I'm holding off anyway until the V12 TDI gets onboard for '08, so it looks like the GL and Q7 will be getting cross-shopped in the distant future.
    I saw where you said that you may hold off until the Q7 gets a bit better to get one.

That's if I get one. MDX still a possibility (don't like the fake wood). Or Lexus JX (don't even know if it's for real, much less whether it will suit our needs). Or maybe Q7, possibly diesel if one is out in the right timeframe, but not V12 as I don't need that much power and also don't tow anything...unless you count a hitch-mounted bike carrier.
    Well LG I think it might just be you. ;)

The SL is shall we say a familiar sight on the road today. Now comparing the SL550 to the top XKR is only somewhat correct, you and I both know the SL55 is the car to pit against the XKR. Of course on price Jaguar almost always manages to look better and duck the real competition. I wouldn't get to caught up on what front end has been seen on what car before with the XK's snout being in place on cars other than Jaguars. The SL and CL (and recently the CLK) have always had a similar front end, only that dreaded C "Coupe" messed it up by taking it downmarket.

M
    BTW: The CLS' look kinda grew on us in about 6 months and we sold the CLS 55, so I feel ya Merc. First oil change on the CLK? Welcome to the wonderful world of the 180 buck oil change.

Well don't get me wrong on the CLS, I still love the design, but I don't feel like I want anything with 4-doors. Nope this first one was on them!!!

M
    The good news about diesels gets even better.

BMW Defines Diesel Strategy For North America

TagMan
    The SL has nothing to apologize for, IMO. I love the SL, and I came oh so close to buying one a few months ago, when the 550 came out.

The Jaguar XKR is a beautiful car as well, and I don't see how anyone should ever think that they made a mistake by purchasing one instead of the SL, or visa versa.

Two stunning cars anyone should be proud and fortunate to own.

TagMan
    Why compare to the V8 E class? Someone buying the V8 E over the V6 E obviously has a pretty low priority for gas mileage.

Rapid market share growth from near-zero is easy to achieve . . . the tough part is from 10% to 40%. Like I said, the acceptence of diesel in HELM is highly dependent on how well and smoothly the engine will run in cold weather. Very few cars can make it with Californian market alone. It takes both the Californian and Northeastern markets to make a high premium novelty succeed.

Having had a MB diesel many years ago, I, well, let's just say that I know first-hand the reputation there is a bit over-rated.
    How long does it take for the new diesel to warm up? i.e. stop clattering? IIRC, one of the characteristics of diesel is taking forever to warm up. The 300TD I had many years ago literally could idle for hours without melting the snow on the hood.

The 5.0L 24V V8 was one of the noisiest engine in that class (btw, never quite figured out how the marketting turned that SOHC 24V into DOHC 24V overnight . . . I mean it's still 3 valves per cylinder, right?). The joke is that everything from MB is proclaimed to be "high-tech" until it is replaced by something comparable to the competition, like real 32V DOHC V8 in this case, as in the new 5.5L. The literature for the DOHC 3.5L V6 still liberally sprinkled with phrases like "stunning 265hp" when in reality the competition is fielding 300+hp 3.5L. Go figure.
    Thanks for the link. I did not even realize that BMW rely on California and the Northeastern States for 85% of its sales. I was thinking along the line of 60-70%. Wow, 85%! That makes smooth operation in cold weather all the more important. Anyone know if the diesels are popular among S class and 7 series in Europe? I know the E220d and E280d are popular, but that's just Germany's equivalents of Camry and ES in our market. At the family car level, people are probably more willing to put up with some hassle and discomfiture for the sake of mileage . . . but what about the luxury segment? That's what MB and BMW really care about for the US market.
    I agree...oh well the SL and XK are both lightweights compared to this true "high-end" convertible:

M
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    "But my most prized possessions are probably rare rides like the..."

Does this mean there are dozens of others sitting in the ho-hum part of your collection?

;-)
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I like it with the Tudor mansions in the background. And on that note I think I'll ask for heavy starch in my shirts this morning.

;-)
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Cancel the Bluetec. Make mine a BMW 535d. I'll see everybody at the truck weighing station of your choice where we must do lunch. :)