Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    That dominance you speak of means nothing

Oh really. For an ad man you surprise me.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    That dominance you speak of means nothing

Oh really. For an ad man you surprise me.

Doc, my meaning was that "Lexus dominance" means nothing TO ME PERSONALLY. Sorry for the confusion. Of course, results from ads are important. That goes without saying. Leave it you to catch me, though. You didn't let me down. ;)

TagMan
    Hmmm....you must be hitting that pain medication harder than I thought!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Hmmm....you must be hitting that pain medication harder than I thought!

:) Too darn easy-going for ya, eh?
    No, you are always calm and easy going, but your post 21979 was in reply to one of my posts but you addressed Doc.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I guess you're right, houdini... I'm gulping way too many pain pills. :surprise:

Heck, I even agreed with the DOC earlier. ;) Absolute proof.

TagMan
    Today, Tag made it even more complex, showing me that a twin-turbo 535i is on the way. Plus the diesels from MB and BMW are coming soon, preceded by rave reviews across the pond.

I'm pretty lucky about the timing of my 545i lease expiration.
    There are so many fantastic choices either out there now or coming soon, that I will only lease for 2 years or shorter (if they allow it). I want to experience as many of these great vehicles as I can.

As nice as that Twin Turbo engine seems to be, I'll bet it is more thrilling in the 3-series.

And... you and I, blkhemi, dewey, houdini (I think), and others have been waiting a long time for really great diesels to come stateside. I would expect it would be hard for you to pass up one of them.

How fortunate you are to have such an upcoming dilemma... we could all use those kinds of problems.

The closer these cars get, the more exciting it all seems... Finally.

TagMan
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    I'm sure Chrysler 300C is a better car than BMW 7 series, Audi A8, MB E-class, BMW 5 series, Audi A6, etc. etc. Some autoritive magazine, eh? Need I say more?
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Count me in as one of those waiting for a diesel. I am looking forward to the Audi 3.0 TDI (what a sweet engine as I had the pleasure of cruising Europe in an A6 3.0 TDI), but would love the A8's 4.2 TDI even more. I can only dream of seeing and experiencing the monster Audi V12 TDI straight out of the R10. That would be my ultimate ride!
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Yes. The more exciting ride would be in the 335i coupe.
    I would have to do a great selling job on the dismal 11 cu ft of trunk space since I do a lot of airport duty.

The British press has been raving about the 335id coupe and I read somewhere that a more powerful 335id engine is coming next year.

It's going to be a tough call with all these great vehicles coming to market next year.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    I would love a BMW 5 series with the 3L/turbo engine - BUT - since I can't stand the current Bangle E60, will wait until the 09 redesign if my trusty 97 528 is still running (155K at present and going strong), and if I am not lured to something else first. That said, the 'rest of the world' still has a l-o-n-g way to go to beat BMW at anything to do with driving.
    It's going to be a tough call with all these great vehicles coming to market next year.

I feel sorry for ya' ;)

It'll be fun watching you change your mind a couple hundred times before making the final decision. :)

TagMan
    Is the '09 the one that some folks think is too conservative looking in the styling dept., based upon spy pics?

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I actually thought it was a good looking vehicle with graceful lines, as I recall... unless I'm thinking of something else.

TagMan
    Count me in as one of those waiting for a diesel. I am looking forward to the Audi 3.0 TDI (what a sweet engine as I had the pleasure of cruising Europe in an A6 3.0 TDI), but would love the A8's 4.2 TDI even more. I can only dream of seeing and experiencing the monster Audi V12 TDI straight out of the R10. That would be my ultimate ride!

There is very serious talk of a monster diesel in the R8. What a dream car that will be, if it happens.

TagMan
    Yes. I realize that I have shown interest in quite a few vehicles. But I have eliminated some.

Could use the space of an SUV, but would hate to drive a vehicle that large and heavy even if it would be the 4.8 L X5. I do believe I would regret it.

I would be interested in any BMW diesel that comes along at that time. Of course, that decision would be affected by whether I have to drive to Pittsburgh to re-fuel. :surprise:

And I may test drive the A8 if I see some good leasing deals out there.

Yes, the next time around will be the most exciting.
    However, whatever my choice turns out to be, I won't be driving it for more than 2 years.
    Yes. It looks pretty much "de-Bangle-ed."
    The rear should please most folks.
    Shows BMW corporate can listen.

Now about that thing you call iDrive....
    And I may test drive the A8 if I see some good leasing deals out there.

Yes, the next time around will be the most exciting.
    However, whatever my choice turns out to be, I won't be driving it for more than 2 years.

Ah, yes, by all means add the A8... great car.

However, by the time you are ready, the "list" will be more like a scroll of candidates. ;)

Would you turn down that diesel if the shortest lease were 3 years? Or are you sure there will be a two-year term available?

BTW, how many total cars do you and the wife drive, or expect to drive?

TagMan
    Well, I only need one. My wife doesn't drive but if I can talk her into getting her license, I will have "almost two."

One good thing; my wife has become totally accustomed to BMW's and wants nothing else. She protested loudly when I test drove the LS430 and GS430 in 2005.

BMW offers 2 year leases on all their vehicles, no exceptions, with incredibly high residuals of 72% or better for 24k miles on many of their vehicles. The X3 2 year lease residual is currently 77%.

I don't believe the BMW leasing protocol will change with the arrival of the diesels, but a minimum 3 year lease would be a deal-breaker.

If BMW ever decides to go with 18 months, I'm knocking on their door.
    Yes, my next purchase will be a diesel of some sort. I don't think it would be a helc though. Probably a small car for emergency use in case gas prices soar. Something in the 50mpg range.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    This link must have been missed by some. I think Dewey might have posted it originally. Anyway BMW isn't bringing diesels to the US any time soon:

"While Volkswagen and Mercedes already sell diesels in the U.S. market, BMW has no plans to do so any time soon and declines to use the BLUETEC name, currently being used to help sell Mercedes-Benz E 320s that run on ultra low sulphur diesel in the U.S.

The world's biggest premium carmaker, a fierce rival of DaimlerChrysler's luxury Mercedes brand, first wants to develop a urea-based technology to reduce nitrogen oxides before considering a sustained entry into the U.S. diesel market."

From Reuters, Nov. 22, 2006
    An article in yesterdays newspaper said otherwise. It quoted BMW as saying the U.S. would have a BMW diesel by 2008. They declined to say which models.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Hmm, that's correct. Just googled and got this one from Autoweek. I wonder why the discrepancy. I recently heard a complaint about Reuters but don't know the extent or truth of it.

From Autoweek, Dec. 7, 2006
    D-man - BMW will bring a diesel here. It has been published seperate from their break with the "alliance".

You can bank on it. There is enough publicity already, and it makes too much sense. Given their position, they could not make such a blunder and leave it to the rest. And being BMW, they will offer a terrific one at that.

hpowders may be the first one here to actually own (lease) it.

TagMan
    Yes, my next purchase will be a diesel of some sort. I don't think it would be a helc though. Probably a small car for emergency use in case gas prices soar. Something in the 50mpg range.

I completely understand the emotion associated with that post. I think it is incredibly common now in this country.

Recent survey showed Americans wanting a mandated 40 mpg average for cars sold here. Talk about a potential diesel market!

Unfortunately, the urge to have a second high mpg vehicle for "emergency" needs to be evaluated. First, it is only the difference between the current mpg useage and that 50 mpg that would be the statistically significant number.

Then there is the acquisition of that second vehicle itself. So, if you must spend, let's say, $18,000 - $28,000 for an upcoming theoretical economical diesel that gets an additional real-life 20 mpg over your current vehicle... then the price of the acquisition will take many, many years before you would ever see the monetary benefit...if ever.

Instead, consider purchasing or leasing an actual replacement car that serves as your full-time driver... One that gets terrific mpg's.

Frankly, hpowders approach to the upcoming marketplace is quite brilliant. If leased as a diesel.. a short term obligation with reasonable payments, and terrific mileage, and all in a great performing well-appointed vehicle... how does it get much better than that!!? And.. in two years comes the next best thing. Freakin' brilliant. It really is.

Heck, I might just be talking myself into doing the same thing! ;)

TagMan
    Thank you for the compliment! :blush:

With all the new technology coming at us at a fever pitch, I want to drive as many of these great new vehicles as I can. A 2 year (or shorter) lease with a high residual seems the way to do it for me.

We'll see about the first to drive a diesel in the HELC thread.
    That would be quite an honor!
    On the BMW threads, I would probably be #262!

The 335id sound intriguing-all that power with great mpg.

I agree. BMW will not let MB bring BlueTec here without an appropriate response.

Let the diesel wars begin!
    Yikes... consider a lease obligation of 3 - 6 years on a hybrid! And at an MSRP of $100,000 + ! Or, if purchased, what a risk that would be.

As exclusive as the upcoming LS500hL might be, I have recently updated my position on this vehicle as too RISKY.

And, as a side bar, the styling is bland enough even by today's standards, that in five more years, the styling could look too old to warrant it's initial giant price tag... and of course the technology will certainly have improved hugely, if not even completely changed, by that time, leaving the vehicle's powertrain technology much closer to the risk of becoming somewhat obsolete, or at a minimum outdated.

LS600hL? - move with CAUTION!

TagMan
    hpowders - I think it is almost a certainty that there will be an increased supply of the mandated low-sulfur diesel fuel over the next two years and beyond.

TagMan
    If you are going to do a vehicle for 4+ years, buying is smarter. At least if something better comes along in the interim, you can flip the vehicle. With the lease, you have to make the 48 payments in most cases.
    That is the only thing I can think of that can possibly go wrong. I do believe there is an internet site indicating where diesel fuel is being sold throughout the US. Hope your area comes along really soon.
    Hope your area comes along really soon.

It's all over the place here... only thing missing is the cars... we (and 4 other states) have to wait an extra year.

TagMan
    That's a bummer.
    Automobile Magazine has released the list of the 2007 Automobile All-Stars. The S-Class is included, of course.

Here's the list of the 2007 All-Stars:
    2007 Automobile All-Stars

Here's a quote and the direct link to the S-Class:

This latest S not only addresses every single criticism we've mentioned, it moves the bar for this class virtually out of sight. That's depressing if you work for Lexus or BMW but mighty good news for fans of undiluted German motoring pomp.

All-Star: 2007 Mercedes S-Class

Anyway, I'll just post it, and you'll have to excuse me if I don't put a cheerleader spin on it and if I don't get out the pom-poms, all the while gulping Kool-Aid and yelling "Mercedes dominates the designation of benchmark"... blah, blah, blah. ;)

TagMan
  • autoeduautoedu Member Posts: 47
    Volvo released its top-of-the-line SUV in the UK for 2007 (making way to US in 08?)

XC90 SE Sport starts @ 36K GBP or 72K USD
    XC90 Executive starting @ 46K GBP or 90K USD to 100K+ for the V8 edition - WOW
    UK Release News

The XC90 SE Sport looks somewhat like the Porsche Cayenne.
    Might not match the Cayenne S in performance but the XC90 sure looks stronger, sexier, and safer too (The 2007 Volvo XC90 Rated Top Safety pick by IIHS)

SE Sport

Executive
    Nice... for a Volvo. Personally, I'd rather see dual exhaust. Maybe the Sport model will have it. Will enough folks lay down $72K - $90K for a Volvo?...especially when the X5, Cayenne, Toureg, (and MDX) are out there. Any word on passenger capacity or U.S. engine choices?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Doc I wouldn't care what the sales numbers are, you're missing the point. Those commercials are lame and tired and uh..shallow to put it lightly. We all know they aren't running them for taste, its a cheesy sales pitch.

Again, everyone has a big month in December. We already know Lexus outsells BMW and Mercedes during the year so why would Dec be any different? Now would be a good time to fall back on sales numbers though seeing as though Lexus new LS didn't make the Automobile Magazine's All-Stars list. The S-Class has that spot thank you.

M
    That could seal the deal.
    "We already know Lexus outsells BMW."

Yes and we already know that Thunderbird outsells Chateau Rothschild. :)
  • autoeduautoedu Member Posts: 47
    With a top price tag of $100K Volvo is making inroad for high end luxury SUV segment. I guess Volvo really made its SUV for Executives only with that six-figures price tag

The Volvo XC90 Sport & Executive editions main competitors will be the Range Rover, Range Rover Sports, Cayenne S & Turbo, Mercedes M&G, X5 (MDX & Touareg, Lexus don't fit into this category)

The sport edition has twin-exhausts, and just checked Volvo website, the SE Sport edition is available in US for 2007 model, and the Executive edition is to follow soon
    Well to each his own I guess. I like my approach better. Any time you buy or lease a car it is almost always a losing proposition financially so you might as well do whatever you want.

I just do not see the rationale behind a BMW diesel. I don't think even hp would want to keep a BMW long enough to wear out a diesel engine. By that time every other part on the car would have had to be replaced 4 or 5 times. Talk about a money pit!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I just do not see the rationale behind a BMW diesel. I don't think even hp would want to keep a BMW long enough to wear out a diesel engine.

WHAT!!!??? You always crow about the reliability of the Lexus, yet BWM would have a reliable long-lasting engine and you think it's nonsense.

TagMan
    Both BMW and Lexus have great engines. It's in all the other things that Lexus outshines BMW.

There is no advantage if the engine lasts 10 years and all the other parts on a BMW wear out or break in 3 years. Why do you think HP leases BMW's for the short term?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

all the other parts on a BMW wear out or break in 3 years.

How can anyone possibly have a rational discussion with you when that kind of a totally ridiculous statement is made. Do you actually believe that? No... you know better... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. In that case, you are intentionally poking at dewey, d-man (edited), and hpowders, our primary resident BMW drivers... and for what reason?

Either way, it's either an ignorant statement... or one to provoke and ignite. Or am I missing something?

BTW, hpowders intends to lease short term to look forward to getting a newer model sooner rather than later. It's a great idea, IMO. Sure, the risks of maintenance with ANY car increase with age, but ALL PARTS IN THREE YEARS? Total BS!

TagMan
    My BMW is 3 1/2 years old and I don't lease. Real men go the distance with BMWs and don't lease. ;-)
    Let's just talk about cars and drop the name calling, OK? And if someone disagrees with you there is no need to take it as a personal attack. I will assume it is the medication talking and give you the benefit of the doubt here.

We all use a little hyperbole here to make our points so of course not ALL parts in 3 years will wear out. But we all know that maintaining a BMW is an expensive proposition. And IMO they are overpriced to begin with. So, no matter how much you shout in caps and stomp your feet, I still disagree with your assessment.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

We all use a little hyperbole here to make our points so of course not ALL parts in 3 years will wear out.

Ahh, now the truth. Thank you. Another case of mea culpa. Hmmm... hyperbole, eh?

TagMan
    I had my first LS460 road sighting last night. I thought it looked pretty decent at night. Came up on it from the rear. It actually looks less slab-sided at night because the night light reveals some shape in the sides. Houdini, are you getting one? When?
    I usually don't comment on ridiculous posts.
    Seems a few of them have just popped up.
    Your right on the money post #22019 is one of the few things making any sense here lately. You and I know my post was written in very clear English. How it could be so misconstrued is a mystery.

I guess some folks are just sore that their favorites didn't pop up on the great Automobile Magazine's coveted All-Star list; to be specific: the LS460 and totally incompetent GS450h.

PS- By the way, an excellent and well-rounded list consisting mostly of fun to drive vehicles in all price categories. One of the best lists I have seen in quite a while.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    XC90 SE Sport starts 36K GBP or 72K USD
    XC90 Executive starting 46K GBP or 90K USD to 100K+ for the V8 edition - WOW

You cannot just use the exchange rate to compare prices in the UK to prices here in the states. Its the same with Canadian car prices. A Nissan 350Z here is around $32K. There its 28K GBP. Our A4 3.2 Quattro is 37K, there its 30K GBP. I don't know what new equipment these Volvos have over the XC90 V8 we already have, but I can absolutely guarantee you that they will not sell a $90K car here in the next 20 years.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    It'll be fun watching you change your mind a couple hundred times before making the final decision.

Ha, that's what's been happening to me!

I have [at least] a good two years until I get rid of my baby S4, but this is going to be the hardest decision I've ever had to make, car-wise. The S4 was a no-brainer- the only thing I had to choose was a body style. But now...? Between the Carrera/Carrera S Cabriolet, new XKR convertible, CL550 with AMG bodykit (if I can bring myself to get a coupe), the possible one-year-old AM V8 Roadster (poser car, I know), a 650ci, and maybe even an SL550, there's so many tempting companies trying to pry me from my $100,000! Obviously, this is the most self-indulgent car purchase I will make in a long time, so I have to choose wisely.

I'm glad I have another two to three years to decide, while enjoying the Cabriolet along the way.

;)

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Again, everyone has a big month in December. We already know Lexus outsells BMW and Mercedes during the year so why would Dec be any different? Now would be a good time to fall back on sales numbers though seeing as though Lexus new LS didn't make the Automobile Magazine's All-Stars list.

Now would be a good time? You just made my point. Lexus sales rock ALL THE TIME! You act like I just came up with that as a fall-back position, when that's my main point, always and forever.

The commercial runs because the commercial sells. It's 50 times more successful than anything Mercedes is doing.

So when Mercedes comes up with ONE DECENT commercial, this decade, then do a commentary on how lame Lexus commercials are.

No one does more forgettable commercials than Mercedes. Let's look up the word "lame" in the dictionary, and place it on the correct ad campaign.

If you, and everyone else, are spending this much energy commenting on it, while Lexus is selling BIG with it, you're probably using the wrong word. :surprise:

Any description of them is inaccurate if the word "successful" is not included. ;)

Thank you.

DrFill