Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    Thanks for the Detroit review Merc.

Just MHO, but I think the new XK just kills the SL.

I have had some significant seat time in the new X5 and can tell you all that it is the best high end SUV out there right now. It's Lexus quiet and smooth, and still has that great BMW steering. For long road trips I think the Q7 is better though.

I think that we're all forgetting that the new ISF has to compete with the brilliant RS4 as well. Top Gear recently tested the RS4 against the M3 with the competition package, and the RS4 just killed it.

I fear that the new M will displace the Audi, but I don't expect the Lexus to do much but show up. [based on Lexus history.]
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Either disk format, you'll still want 1080p capability in the tv. BTW, there is now a universal HD disk player announced at CES that will play BOTH HD formats AND current formats as well... an all-in-one player! Yeah, a solution at last!

X5 does sound good. Wonder if there will be a diesel option in the future.

TagMan
    Based upon the current trends, there should be a poster called audi1 very soon. Or is there already such a poster?Maybe merc1 will change his name.

TagMan
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yeah the X5 having "seven seats" is just for marketing only. The commercial they have going where it is lapping the 'Ring is pretty misleading when all those adults get out of it. The ones in the rear seats wouldn't be able to walk!

Again, thanks for the review. Just think... one day in the future we might actually love a Lexus!

Anything is possible. I really feel like the LF-A could be the first.

M
    O K merc --drive carefully with the new Mercedes and don`t get a ticket Tony

I did drive "carefully" and didn't get any tickets. There was a lot of 95-100 mph crusing on the way back though. Effortless at those speeds. There is a sticker inside the gas cap that tells you what tire PSI should be for "sustained driving over 100 mph", only a German car would have such a sticker.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Unfortunately, that LG universal player may never happen. The DVD forum either is suing or will sue because it cant read the HD-DVD menu system, and thus cant be called an HD-DVD player. HD-DVD is the better format, its cheaper and looks better. Unfortunately Sony is loathe to give up on their failures (Beta, MD, Memory Stick, SACD, UMD) so expect this pointless war to drag on for several more years.

Plus, $1200 is a bit much for something made by LG.
    The IS-F definately is as you described. It isn't going to matter that it isn't in the same league as the BMW M3... all the comps will be between it and the Bimmer... just wait and see.

I'm not so sure about that. I think it will be compared with the C63 AMG more than anything. They're both going to be automatic only and 4-doors. The M3 will no doubt offer a manual after the uproar about the SMG only M5/M6 and the M3 will be a 2-door initially.

M
    Too bad about the lawsuit in the face of the solution. I'm disliking Sony more and more as the years go by. Too often the brand name itself is more valuable than their products. Fortunately there are often better alternatives out there.
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Also make sure the HDMI connection actually works. I just took home a $2000 (cheapest, only 40") 1080p Sony LCD before Xmas. The picture is fantastic, over the air, through component input and computer D-sub input. However, neither of the two HDMI connectors seem to work. How am I gonna watch movie when the studios clamp down on DRM control?! It's going to be a royal pain-in-the-tail to haul it back.
    I think it will be compared with the C63 AMG more than anything.

Nope. Hate to say it, but the Autospies website (not an endorsement!) has a video that says how the IS-F will be a major comparison to the M3. It's what people think of, even if it isn't a truly appropriate comp.

And, yes, I agree the C63 AMG will get its day in the sun with the IS-F as well. But...

Trust me, the major comparisons will be between the IS-F and the M3... afterall the M3 is the king of the hill, at least perceptually.

TagMan
    Sometimes the device that actually connects to the Sony's HDMI input has has to have its own HDMI output selected. Make sure the output selection of the device is set to HDMI instead of component, providing the device allows for output selection.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    SUV diesels are inevitable, IMO. No class of vehicle needs diesel engines more.

Automobile Magazine only got 11 mpg with the 2007 X5.
    Most normal folks could probably expect 15-18.
    Imagine being able to get 23 mpg out of that beast.

Too bad they didn't come up with a universal VCR that could play VHS and Betamax. A lot of folks got burned.
    Well actually all 4 cars will be compared, the C63, M3, RS4, and IS-F. The thing is unless the IS-F goes a way different route from the usual Lexus type suspension and surprises at the last minute with a manual it won't be any competition for the M3. The C63 might be dynamically going by AMG's recent efforts, but it won't have a manual either. Being compared to and actual competiton for is two different things, but we'll see.

M
    IMHO, comparing the "4.9 or less" from IS-F to the 4.9 from 335i is somewhat missing the point. "4.9 or less" for IS-F is manufacturer's spec, whereas 335i's manufacturer's spec is 5.4 for 0-60 manual, and 5.6 for automatic. At that performance level, half a second is enough room for an entire different class. The manual vs. automatic also makes a huge difference. Magazine reviewers have no qualms about revving the engine sky high and then dump clutch, whereas for someone who owns (or for that matter leases) a new 335i, if the person chooses to drive like that, the transmission wouldn't last through the first year, or even 6 months. In contrast, results with automatics are repeatable by flooring the gas pedal; it's not good for the car either in the long run, but nothing like killing the synchro and clutch within a few months with dump-clutch starts.

Until the cars are physically avaialble for reviews, I'd say the 400hp V8's propelling cars weighing about 3500lb each make IS-F and M3 quite well matched, at least for the vast majority who are not obsessed with manual transmission.
    I tried both a Sony upscaling DVD player, and the HD cable box (two of them) from Verizon (Fiber Optics). Three Verizon guys spent four hours in my living room. We made all the right output selections . . . no luck. The HD cable box can put an image on the TV for about 10 minutes, then image freezes up and go blank. garr! I'm going to insist on HDMI test at the store next time.
    hey, which AVS forum is that? I can use some help. XBR2 is certainly nice. Are you by any chance using HDMI input? I got the Plain-Jane Bravia KDL40V2500 for only $2000, in the hopes of saving perhaps $500 compared to the 40" XBR2; hey 1080p is 1080p, right? Wrong! The plain-jane V2500 gives me a boat load of useless composite inputs, but only two component and two un-useable HDMI; that's not nearly enough to juggle HD cable, DVD, and HD video recorders. ahh, penny-wise and pound-foolish if I have to take this door stopper back.
    Being compared to and actual competiton for is two different things, but we'll see.

Well said, and that's exactly the point. Just playing in the same arena doesn't mean actually being equivalent, but it sure does tons for being perceived as such. And, perhaps unfair, but that perception will go a long way for the IS-F, and Lexus knows it.

TagMan
    Until the cars are physically avaialble for reviews, I'd say the 400hp V8's propelling cars weighing about 3500lb each make IS-F and M3 quite well matched, at least for the vast majority who are not obsessed with manual transmission.

And that, my friend, is just more fuel and evidence of the upcoming comps between the IS-F and the M3. Fair or not, you speak for many who will see it that way.

TagMan
    No. I am using the component video connections. No great difference with HDMI to justify the added expense of the cables.

Check out the XBR2 forum over there. Some of those folks are quite knowledgeable. It's called the "Official Sony XBR2 Thread."
    When I started posting there they made it "official." :shades:
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    make sure you go 1080p

This 32er was only for my eat-in-kitchen. Most companies make 1080p only for 40" and up sets, and there is only one 1080p available from any company in 37", and zero available in 32". The theory is that 1080p benefits just aren't perceptible at 32".

Anyway we should move the HDTV discussions over to the AVS Forum before our kind host shuts us down over here.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Road & Track just timed the stock IS350 at 4.9 seconds 0-60. That's with 306bhp and a 6-speed auto. The IS-F with a minimal 400bhp and more likely about 450bhp and 2 more gears in the tranny should do 0-60 in around 4 seconds or low 4's!
    Everything's pointing to a new legitimate "F" monster on the block. I'm expecting it to be a real screamer... genuine performance from Lexus.

Anyone want to guess at the price tag?

According to Lexus, the added "F" treatment will also be offered on other models in the future, so my guess is that the added "F" premium could possibly be an indication of what to expect on those other models as well.

TagMan
    How did you manage to quote Hpowders for what I said....lol?

M
    First time I got any respect!

LOL!!
    Hah! Best I can guess is that somehow I hit reply on his post instead of yours... whoops... but I was indeed intending to reply to you, and I'm glad you could see that.

Sorry, hpowders... while your posts are typically brilliant (which goes without saying), it was in fact merc1 that I was quoting. ;)

Keep the respect, however. :)

TagMan
    No problem, Tag.

It was fun basking in the glory, however abbreviated. :)

Merc1 has me thinking X5. Hope it gets dieselized by August, 2008. If it's not, I'll pass on driving one. Not looking for 15 mpg. Anybody who needs some extra room and wants the real deal in BMW handling and decent mpg should check out the 530ix wagon instead.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I'm going to insist on HDMI test at the store next time.

Unless you can take your equipment with you to the store and hook it up to their TVs, there isn't much of a point. HDMI connections usually work, but when they don't, there's no way to fix it. Thank the glorious movie studios for that. Unfortunately you cannot depend on component video connections for too much longer. The studios have decided not to cripple the high def discs over component yet, but they will, you can be sure of that. They didn't create the image constraint token not to use it.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi hpowdres

I`v always given you the respect you richly deserve, and now have a passsing thought of yourself when I see a particularly attractve bmw....As a `matter of fact` all you people have worthwhile things to express...Tony ps Thanks Merc for the report and please keep it coming with the pictures
    When someone comes up to me and says "I've always given you the respect you richly deserve", I expect I'm about to be put out of my misery! ;)

Seriously Tony, thank you very much for the nice compliment! :)

I have to tell you, on the west side of Florida, I think I have seen 3 other Bangle 5 Series other than my own: 1 525, 1 530 and 1 550.

Also the "regulars" on I75 have given up trying to pass me. Always a good sign.
    The astonishing power of a great BMW 4.4 liter, 325 hp, 32-valve V-8 engine sure helps!

As a matter of fact I have only seen 1 A8 within the last year on the road. Upscale Audis are scarcer than BMWs over here.

BMWs and Audis of choice here are the 3 Series and A4.

It's great to be driving a scarce vehicle, at least in this neck of the Florida woods.

I have my first scheduled maintenance (oil change) scheduled for Thursday morning. This after driving it for 18 flawless months. The 545i has made me very :D !
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    You haven't changed your oil in 18 months? And how many miles? You must have lights flashing everywhere and bells and sirens going off. Please clarify.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I have my first scheduled maintenance (oil change) scheduled for Thursday morning. This after driving it for 18 flawless months.

yeah, powders... same question as houdini. Even if the miles don't add up, aren't you still required to take it in at least every 12 months?

TagMan
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hola
    Over on the East side, there are many bmw 5 and 3`s, but there are a good many Audis, although not as many 8 models...Up In South Carolina , I see one 8 every few months..which I attribute to the lack of dealerships, and past mis-haps..It really takes a long time to get abused customers back....I for one really do not care to order a car and have to wait so long, but Audi really makes you have to do that if you want some of the nicer touches..I`m not sure if it applies to a dealer who orders a car, but the way I understand it , it has to be a `sold` car to get the custom additions..The other German brands may also do that, but when we got the bmw sport wagon (stationwagon) it was there with all the options, sort of like buying the old way (which I like better)Now if you are really going to get a custom car that is `custom` then buying it and waiting until it is built makes sense....Tony
    Nah. It's synthetic oil. Lasts longer. I bring it in when the computer tells me to. BMW leasing guidelines are being followed. All 3 of my BMW's have been brought in for oil changes at around 16-18 months. Never any negative feedback from BMW. After all, it's their computer that is telling me what to do.
    Tony, I do believe that if I needed a lot of space but didn't want to compromise on mpg and performance, a 530xi wagon or its Audi equivalent, the A6 Avant Quattro, would probably be my choice over an X5.
    Still not entirely convinced on the SUV concept. Luckily with only 2 people in the house, I can choose whatever vehicle I want, as long as it has a practical trunk. I probably will drive the new X5, but don't expect to be impressed.

I always order a vehicle to my exact specifications even if it takes 2 months. Why settle? These vehicles are expensive. Might as well be happy with them.
    Interesting. I somehow thought the built-in maintenance reminders were based upon miles driven between services, and not by the duration of time. The reason I say that is because most warranties are based upon the completion of timely service intervals that place a maximum amount of time between those intervals. The reason is obvious... some folks barely drive that many miles, so to make sure the vehicle is serviced adequately, the interval is written as "X thousand miles or 1 year, whichever comes first", or something to that effect.

Skip the car's computer for just a minute here... What is the BMW warranty or service interval requirement that is shown in the car's written manual?

In other words, what is the maximum allowable time between services according to the book?

TagMan
    There is nothing about maximum time allowed between service intervals. Of course, the computer takes into account mileage as the main factor. I have driven the 545 13,600 miles. Apparently 14k is the mileage number for the first oil change.

Opening the iDrive, I see all future possible maintenance work listed (rear brake pads, front brake pads, brake fluid, spark plugs, micro filter, vehicle check, etc;) and their current "status." Everything is fine except that my engine oil and filter are listed as needing changing within 400 miles. I am actually bringing it in early!

The good thing about iDrive is that one can actually check on these things. No guess work. The spark plugs need replacing after 90,000 miles. Not the spark plugs I grew up with!

My next service will be at 22,000 miles to replace the micro filter and then at 24,000 miles for the vehicle check.

I have the urge to buy the vehicle at lease termination if I can get BMW to knock off a few thou from the $34320 purchase option price. It will be a low mileage vehicle and the demand out there for a used 2005 545i shouldn't be too great. When I get the notice from BMW to make up my mind what I want to do, I will attempt to finesse an offer and see what happens. They will probably reject it and I will move on.
    There is nothing about maximum time allowed between service intervals.

In either the service manual or within the "conditions" of the written warranty?

I have the urge to buy the vehicle at lease termination...

Hey, wait a minute here... what about driving the latest and greatest every two years? ;) Or would this be in addition to that?

TagMan
    I'm thinking about making a real low ball offer that would have perhaps a 20% possibility of being accepted. So Plan A most likely will still be in effect.

It's either pick up the 545 for about $4-5k less than the purchase price at lease end or moving on.
    Knowing BMW, it will be rejected. But it's nice to be able to deal with these guys from strength. :)
    Awesome video on this beast:

S65 AMG

M
    Definitely a good idea. Let them give you offers. Refuse the first couple offers, and they will call back with steadily lower numbers. Then, only then, let them know what you are willing to pay :-) It's a game of chicken. Best of luck!
    Apparently HP is correct. A google search on BMW maintenance intervals only lists 15,000 mile intervals for newer BMWs. So it is strictly a mileage thing. I am surprised but I like it.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

A google search on BMW maintenance intervals only lists 15,000 mile intervals for newer BMWs. So it is strictly a mileage thing. I am surprised but I like it.

Well, as you can tell from the posts, I am also surprised. I would have expected at least some, even if long term, time-based interval.

Maybe BMW figures that most of their owners can't resist driving their cars and thus putting on enough miles! ;)

TagMan
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Merc1,

I greatly appreciate your very informative write up about your Detroit visit.
    Now where are those photo shots you took there?

What amazes me most Merc is not what you wrote but what you did not write. Have you not forgotten the “L” brand that was once the biggest luxury auto brand in USA? The Lincoln MKR IMO is one of the most exciting cars in this year’s auto show. With a mustang RWD chassis this “suicide door” sedan will be one exciting car indeed.

Unlike Detroit shows of the past the true knock-out cars this year were non-HELCs. The Chevy Volt and Toyota FT-HS gets my vote. I cant think of any HELC that intrigued me in this year’s show . HELCs are leading indicators of what future mainstream cars will look like and that makes the future quite bleak. A future of radar based cruise control, self-parking, active steering , lane departure warning system…Yawn!!! If that is the future then I will definitley give up driving and ride my bicycle, take a subway or buy a motorcycle.

The Jaguar CX-F is as interesting as the MB CLS. When Audi and a few other luxury marques introduce new sedan-coupes this Jag will no longer look as distinct as it does today.

Your high opinion about the new X5 is shared here by many forum members. I really don’t understand why? Active steering, idrive and a ridiculous toggle gear switch ? I’ve used such a toggle swith and it made me yearn for the days when the X5 was offered with a manual tranny?(and I never was a fan of a manual X5 to begin with)
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I dont care what my BMW computer says I would never ever change my oil every 15k miles. I religiously change mine ever 5 K miles despite what my computer says.

TLC is the secret of my long-term success of owning German cars beyond warranty periods.

I hope to keep my current BMW for many years. Personally I prefer long-term relationships with cars and spouses. There is a British ivory tower type who agrees with me:

John Chapman a senior lecturer at Britain's University of Brighton is one of a new breed of sustainable designers who are concerned about the waste associated with our consumer culture. "I like the term adulerous consumption" he adds. "Relating to our material possessions is parallel to the idea of adultery, of making a commitment to one thing and then quickly becoming distracted by a younger model. It's so rare now that there's anything in life we are tied to forever. Everything is temporary if we want it to be".

SOURCE: GLOBE AND MAIL
    I dont care what my BMW computer says I would never ever change my oil every 15k miles. I religiously change mine ever 5 K miles despite what my computer says.

TLC is the secret of my long-term success of owning German cars beyond warranty periods.

Yes, I agree.

When the maintenance costs are included with the deal, it's no surprise that the manufacturer would have low maintenance requirements. They save money that way.

But, I was so surprised to see that there was no time limitations to go without service. It's not just miles that takes it's toll. Time does also.

Anyway, keep up the good TLC on your vehicles... it makes good sense.

TagMan
    Yes. It's worth a try.
    Apparently, you should never doubt me!
    between owning and leasing:

Owning: Changing the "oil" every 5000 miles.

Leasing: Changing the "oil" every 14000-15000 miles.

As a leasee, I have no vested interest in doing anything beyond the minimum maintenance required.
    Yes, what was I thinking??

I should have remembered that old age, cunning, and deceit wins out over callow youth and enthusiasm every time!! :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

My mistake. Guess you win!