Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Inside the cavernous Cobo Convention Center where the Detroit auto show is held each year, it’s easy to lose your way among the hundreds of new models.

But at this week’s show, the feeling seems magnified by the cars themselves, which in some cases appear, at first glance, to be sitting in the wrong display area.

Consider the sporty new Nissan Altima coupe, whose sleek design looks a lot like the Infiniti G35, a car that Nissan’s luxury division sells for thousands of dollars more.

A short walk away is the concept version of a Honda Accord coupe, with crisp, muscular lines and an aggressive stance that would look far more at home across the Cobo center aisle in the display for Acura, Honda’s upscale brand.

Confusion over models from the same automaker has historically been a problem for American auto companies, who have been forced through the years to build different versions of essentially the same vehicle for their various brands. By contrast, Japanese carmakers, which were far smaller than their Detroit competitors, deliberately kept their lineups lean. But now these foreign companies are introducing new models at the high and low ends of their respective brands that may cause some unintended double-takes among consumers.

SOURCE:NY Times
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    And everyone else... (not just picking on you, dewey)

This is a HIGH END LUXURY cars discussion, 'kay? :sick:
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    hpowders,

Caught this tiny blurb about the upcoming X6, which could be the ticket. Expect it to be HIGH-END, and more than the X5, which means it could be another alternative for you if it comes out in time.

link title

Not much to go by, but it's all I could find so far.

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    The VP of Toyota Motors predicts a cheaper Lexus will be available soon. Imagine a tiny Lexus hatchback competing with a MINI Cooper?

It's not a terrible idea. I don't know about the Mini Cooper, but they could use a weapon against the Audi A3, BMW 1 series, and Volvo C30. Infiniti used to play in the mid $20s market with the G20, but they got out of it (mostly because the G20 was terrible).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    C'mon, let's keep it to the high end cars here, okay?
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I'm from Brooklyn originally. Lived in Long Beach, LI and now Tampa, although I often get the itch to move back to LI.

Always see the latest HELC's on LI. Nothing much out here. Too many flat bed trucks. Very dull.
    Sorry. But I find the X6 quite ugly. A rather confused design. No?

I'm sure it will be offered at quite a HEL price.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    With the first wave of recalls last year totalling 2.2 mil, year '07 is starting off on the wrong end for the Japanese automaker with the first 535,000 unit recalled.

The Tundra('04-'06) and the Sequoia('04-'07) were recalled for some pretty serious problems(the complete lost of steering to name a few). This is in addition to the same vehicles being affected last year.

IMO, I think that Toyota has become too big too fast. Never before a company of quality problems this big, they're on track to recalling the most cars that are sold by any company on US soil. This doesn't seem to be isolated as many would like to believe.

Remember all that ranting and raving over the Lexus LS460's brilliant 8-speed autobox? That new transmission already has 4 TSB's out from anything involving no gear movement to outright failure. And maybe some of the autorags were on to something when they complained about the longish stopping distances of the LS. There is now a pad upgrade that the Lexus dealer can install.

I can't help but think that had this been the new '07 S550 or a new Audi A8, this would've been all the rage and fun for a few folks.
    "Lived in Long Beach, LI..."

I knew I liked you for some reason or another. I thought you were from NY, but did not know where.

Come on back, we'd sure like to have you on the Island. If you're ever this way, I'm just in Oyster Bay.
    IMO, I think that Toyota has become too big too fast. Never before a company of quality problems this big, they're on track to recalling the most cars that are sold by any company on US soil.

Do you mean imports sold on US soil? 2.2 million isn't even close to the humongous recalls by Ford and GM.
    Thank you, blkhemi! Kind of you to say that.

One of my kids lives in Old Brookville. I love it over there. So alive with activity, great-looking HELC's and moderately-challenging twisties like 25A as it meanders through the north shore area. A good place for the 545. Maybe I will drive up there this summer and stay a couple of weeks.

I do want to eventually get back to a 4 season climate-maybe a Long Beach condo. The sun is too much down here. And all those pick up trucks! :surprise:
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Are you Billy Joel?

;-)
    Nope!

Billy Joel used to have 19 autos in his stable but now he is down to only a few after all his car crashes. Thank God he drives slow clunkers (a 67 Citroen) and not speedy HELCs like a W12 Audi.

Singer-songwriter Billy Joel was slightly injured and mostly embarrassed when he lost control of his vintage car on a rain-slicked road and banged into a house, the Grammy Award-winning artist's third car accident in two years.

SOURCE: PIANO MAN SMASH UP MAN

Well, I made a good guess afterall. I But it was easy... it is not uncommon for folks from NY and surrounding areas to retire in Florida. You are young to be retired, however, and you are almost able to live a second life.

Too bad about those pickup trucks, eh? I've spent tons of time in the South, and I understand your perspective on that.

The X6 was horribly disguised and I doubt we can tell what it will really look like. But, yeah, that pic wasn't all that flattering.

Did anyone else comment on that 2012 Porsche 928 pic that I posted? If so, I missed it.

TagMan
    No evidence of alcohol or drugs? Gosh, the guy just simply can't drive! But, he sure can dance on the keys.

TagMan
    "2.2 million isn't even close to the humongous recalls by Ford and GM."

Ah, yes that is true. But in one year? From the supposed quality king in the automotive industry? I'm not thinking that highly of them in that manner any longer, especially given that my last 3 German vehicles and all of my very American Corvettes have been trouble-free.

Did you take a look at that C&D dig on their Toyota Camry in the comparo? All of the different problems they suffered were unheard of when Toyota was a smaller, better managed company.
    Did you take a look at that C&D dig on their Toyota Camry in the comparo? All of the different problems they suffered were unheard of when Toyota was a smaller, better managed company.

No, I will have to check that out. I agree Toyota is definitely having some problems lately. Their CEO even mentioned it, supposedly they are "putting the brakes" on their growth in order to get a handle on these issues. Fortunately they are still doing a lot better than Nissan. The Quest, Titan, and Armada (and its Infiniti twin) are bad enough to make even Land Rover look good by comparison.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    the 928 is beautiful.

Slowly coming out now are first drive reports of the R8. It seems as though it's pure Audi. Really more of a GT car than an out, and out track car. No real surprise there.

Yeah, those recalls on the LS are hilarious. Man if that was a German make it would be WW4 over here. If that car isn't reliable, what is it?

Hpowders, other than the cheap steering wheel on the MDX, I think you may like it. Lot's of room in the driving position, and a great corner carver for such a big vehicle.
    Yes. The MDX is on my list to drive for next year. Always more enthusiastic about the second year version of a new model for quality and price.

However, any BMW diesels coming out at that time will quickly divert my attention away from the MDX. Probably away from a low-ball offer on the 545i too. I expect 2008 to be a very exciting year for upscale vehicles.

I don't want to rush time, but I can hardly wait! :)
    "Fortunately they are still doing a lot bettert than Nissan."

Very true my friend. It's so amazing though. Most of Nissan's bread and butter cars and trucks are plagued with quality problems, but the the higher end Japanese-made Infiniti models are just as reliable as Lexus and Acura, even more so in some cases(the M35 reportedly had fewer problems or unintended visits to the dealer for service than the GS and RL last year).

And also must question certain motives that they've come up with as of late. Why would you share a platform and powertrain on an American car with one of the worst cars on the planet?(the Sentra and Versa are based on a blunderous Peugeout) Why does a brand new, 4 year old factory turn out some of the worst quality in SUV's and pickups?(the Armada and QX56 and the Titan pickup has the worst assembly in their respective class.)

This is the reason Toyota really isn't sweating it.
    The MDX has finally become a looker, and is a great buy.

But I think I may wait on the next gen Caddy '09 SRX based on the updated Sigma platform.

As good as it is now, insiders say this may be the one to wait for and possibly take honors for best in class.

Powertrains are said to be the next-gen 3.8L high feature V6 pushing 310hp out of the box and the 5.0L Northstar with 400+hp.

The X5 is greatly improved, but in BMW fashion(except '02 7-Series from the '01 model), they were restrained on the styling update. All of the sporting nature is still intact despite a 400lbs gain. The interior is still a bit small for me.
    The S600 is sold now.

The MB dealer that I deal with is given me 1500 over invoice for a '07 SL550. A great deal let me tell ya.

But the Jag dealer is willing to do 2k over invoice and through in all of the necessary accessories in the process.

So to say the least, I'm still in a pickle-dickle.
    I thought I read that Cadillac was going to dump the SRX and make a version of the Acadia\Outlook\Buick because SRX sales have been so lousy?
    Well, you heard our opinions, loud and clear, especially from LG and myself.

Truth is, there is no real mistake here.

So... since they are both good-lookers, although some prefer the SL550 and others the XKR... tell us about the test drives. That's where you'll find some of your answer, isn't it?

How did they drive, feel, and perform compared to each other?

TagMan
    Somehow I was under that impression as well. The current SRX looks too much like an odd-shaped station wagon, regardless of its merits.

TagMan
    The S600 is sold now

How many weeks did you own this car?

Were you bored with it? Did it not live up to your expectations? Substituting a LWB ultra luxury sedan like a S600 for a roadster? What on earth happened within those few weeks?

Pardon me if it is none of my damned business but I am just a bit perplexed that's all? When I buy a car that car becomes the best car on earth (independent of what the truth really is nobody will convince me otherwise).
    Good questions, Dewey. I've been wondering the same thing.

I had just figured that blkhemi was looking for something a bit more youthful that offers more F-U-N. But my assumption could be wrong. I hope he tells us.

TagMan
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi H

With the tremendous mobility in our country, I would suggest you consider buying a place near Ashville N. C for a change ....I mean a summer place....The prices can be quite affordable, like less than two bmw cars, plus a rising asset....I think most people think of expensive houses , but there really are alot of places well under two hundred thousand with six to ten acre ...Then again in the smaller communities (towns)usually an acre or so...Your bmw 5 would really pay off then as the roads are challenging, and fun to drive.....My only problem is my car is too fast coming out of a turn, so I just enjoy myself...Think about it , and my e mail is available and i will tell you what I know Tony
    Hey there Tony!

I appreciate your interest and your generosity, Tony, but I tried the two places thing several years ago and I didn't take to it.

However, you've got me thinking to check out Ashville as a place to vacation in for a week or two. Those mountain twisties sound stimulating as well as does that cool, crisp mountain air and I bet, some challenging golf courses too!

I wouldn't want to pass those experiences up! Thanks for the idea! Is it crowded there during the winter?

If I decide to move, Tony, it will be a permanent one to Long Island.

Winter sounds like a wonderful antidote to the over-bearing Florida sun. Plus my neighbors would be Blkhemi, Billy Joel and Jerry Seinfeld a bit further east. All lovers of fine vehicles, with the mega-garages to prove it! :shades:

Thanks again for the help offered. :)
    They did weigh that option, but I don't think they were interested in going that rout as that would price the SRX well into Escalade territory, altho it is said that it remains an option.

You have to remember that the Lambda platform is just as big as the GMT900 just not as tall, and with GM putting V8's in them, it will deem the Escalade pointless.
    Bored and S600 can never be said in the same sentence from a Euro car fan, such as yourself.

Needless to say, if the buyer wasn't so insisting on buying our S600, we'd still have it. I still have the S8 though, which suits my needs a bit better, although the S600 is only stopped by it's sprinting big brother, the S65 in this class. The S600 is sitll the most comfortable car in this class, including the Flying Brick, behind the Audi W12, of course/

Also, although we have some of the best roadsters made, my wife wouldn't dare be caught on 5th Ave in our Z06. And she has been wanting a convertible for quite some time.

BTW, we kept the car 2 months and was only out of about 8 grand. I think that is great considering that there is a $100k ceiling for the convertible we're likely to purchase.
    You have to remember that the Lambda platform is just as big as the GMT900 just not as tall, and with GM putting V8's in them, it will deem the Escalade pointless.

Not necessarily. Nissan has the Murano and Pathfinder, which both cost about the same, and the overall length is identical. They appeal to different customers. The Pathfinder has double the towing capacity, while the Murano is more civilized and car-like.
    True, but the Murano is physically smaller than the Pathfinder and lacks that fundamental 3rd-row seat, whereas the GM Lambda cross-overs offers better packaging than the hulking GMT900's and are similar in size, despite exterior dimensions.

But I do agree with you in that these different vehicles appeal to different customers. More people are out to get crossovers now, but if the Lambda is a go for Cadillac, it may be a Baby Bling Escalade, altho the Buick Enclave has just as much bling as the Cadillac.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    The Chevy Cavalier is sold now.

The Chevy dealer that I deal with is given me 1500 over invoice for a '07 Aveo. A great deal let me tell ya.

But the Kia dealer is willing to do 2k over invoice and through in all of the necessary accessories in the process.

So to say the least, I'm still in a pickle-dickle.

The life of middle class poverty that has chosen me is really beginning to lose its luster as I read these posts...

Y'all are killing me, but I do so enjoy reading these posts from the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous! :D:cry:

Apropos of nothing: HPowders, my aunt/uncle/cousins lived/grew up in Long Beach. Now in Boca Raton and Bedford, NY. I grew up across the Sound...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Is that Long Beach, as in Long Beach California? Or is there another Long Beach?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Long Beach on Long Island, NY.

Wow, there's a Long Beach in California, too? Any interesting ships anchored there? ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

The 2 Long Beaches have nothing in common except the name.

I hope to see you on the boardwalk sometime where we'll shoot some skeeball. :)

"I do so enjoy reading these posts from the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous!"

Oh. Come on! Speaking for myself, I am really not famous at all! ;)
  • ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    "Reuters reports that DaimlerChrysler has been forced by a court to reveal the mileage of its high-performance cars in its advertising. A court spokesman in Stuttgart, the home city for Mercedes-Benz, confirmed the ruling today. The whole thing started with a lawsuit filed by the environmental group Deutsche Umwelthilfe (DUH). Typical blah-blah-blah from the group: "DaimlerChrysler's transparent attempt to hush up the carbon dioxide emissions from models that are especially harmful to the climate has failed," DUH attorney Remo Klinger said in a statement."
    Wow, there's a Long Beach in California, too? Any interesting ships anchored there?

Well, I really did not know there was a Long Beach on Long island. And, yes, you are referring to the anchored QM.

TagMan
    For Bentley, an astonishing 9,200 sales record and over 10,000 units were produced in 2006.

The Continental series is the reason.

Bentley's CEO doesn't expect a repeat performance. Here's the blurb:

link title

TagMan
    Reuters reports that DaimlerChrysler has been forced by a court to reveal the mileage of its high-performance cars in its advertising.

Oh darned, does this mean the advertized mileage of those 400hp-500hp-600hp MB AMG models are overstated? Does this mean car shoppers will no longer compare AMG mileage/emissions figures with Toyota Prius figures?

Now when is Toyota not going to be so hush-hush about those real world low Prius mileage figures ?
    My gosh, this article is as boring as can be. Especially when one considers that it's about the R8. Maybe it's me, but JUERGEN ZOELLTER, who apparently drove the car, wouldn't get excited if someone shoved a grenade up his a--!

I would have expected more enthusiasm after getting a drive in the R8, that is, unless the R8 is truly a boring car to drive, and I highly doubt that.

Read for yourselves:

First Drive 2008 R8

TagMan
    Now if only Toyota would not be so hush-hush about those real world low Prius mileage figures then we would have a level playing field between DC and Toyota.

I believe it is next year when the EPA's new (more realistic) fuel economy ratings go into effect, and the hybrids are expected to take a MASSIVE hit... unlike diesels, of course!

TagMan
    I can see the reasons for his lack of enthusiasm:

Audi claims a top speed of 185 mph, which means the R8 is faster in a straight line than a 911 Carrera S. Yet it’s not as sporty as the Porsche and is likely to cost a lot more money in the U.S.—we estimate about $110,000.

R8’s character changes at higher speeds on open roads, but it’s never raw, like a Porsche 911 GT3’s. Thanks to the modified air intake and exhaust system, the R8 engine delivers its maximum torque between 3500 and 7600 rpm, a higher figure than in the RS 4, which shares the same powerplant. At 5000 rpm, two valves in the intake manifold open and the engine note becomes more aggressive while the car surges forward impressively, despite a claimed curb weight of 3450 pounds.

Based on the description above and if it was my money I would pick an RS4(with the very same engine as an R8 and $40K cheaper) or a Porsche Carrear S over an outrageously priced Audi R8 anyday!
    believe it is next year when the EPA's new (more realistic) fuel economy ratings go into effect, and the hybrids are expected to take a MASSIVE hit... unlike diesels, of course!

Ofcourse!

And ofcourse that will change when plug in lithium ion battery powered hybrids hits the market. ;)
    And ofcourse that will change when plug in lithium ion battery powered hybrids hits the market.

How the heck can the EPA give any kind of accurate rating to a plug-in?

BTW, regarding the R8, sure your points are well taken, but don't you think there would have been more enthusiasm than THAT?

And yes, I'll also take the Porsche anyday. ;)

Hey, I just realized, isn't it past your bedtime? :P

TagMan
    How the heck can the EPA give any kind of accurate rating to a plug-in?

I dont know? But I will let those geniuses at EPA figure it out themselves.

BTW, regarding the R8, sure your points are well taken, but don't you think there would have been more enthusiasm than THAT?

Maybe you are right and he should have shown far more enthusiasm. But I myself am guilty of getting turned off by some very exciting cars with inflated price tags (relative to the competition).

Hey, I just realized, isn't it past your bedtime?

Nope I still have a video to watch.(fortunately it is only 80 minutes long--James Cagney, Scarface)
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Tilt. When a CEO says that he doesn't "expect a repeat (sales) performance" I tend to sit up. Is he sandbagging or are there structural reasons? When you read the link that Tagman supplied, a couple of pieces of data jump out. One, while Bentley produced 10,082 cars, they sold only 9200, yet they claim an 18 month order backlog. Huh? I would love to know how this happened. Did they build a lot of cars on spec with the wrong options that they can't sell? This reminds me of Chrysler's sales "bank" of the '70s. When is the sale booked, when it is delivered to a dealer or to the consumer? If not booked until delivered to the retail customer, who owns the 900 (10% of the year's production!) cars? Bentley?

Secondly, more than a third of these sales were to the US. Probably, 75% of them I would guess were to FL, CA and NY (and probably within those states all the sales were in maybe a total of 6 counties). Those markets consist of people who want the latest hot thing. Bentley had better plan on rolling out a string of new, innovative products if it even plans on keeping up, let alone expanding sales.

There is an interesting interview with GM's Bob Lutz in the current issue of a US watch magazine. In the article he says that Detroit execs should think like Hollywood producers and plan on rolling out a successive string of hits if they are to stay on top and not think like traditional manufacturers.

Now about those unsold 900 Bentleys....
    Now about those unsold 900 Bentleys....

In the dealer's inventories? Imagine the flooring charges, unless they are paid for outright.

IMO, a successive string of hits is a good strategy.

TagMan
    Based on the description above and if it was my money I would pick an RS4(with the very same engine as an R8 and $40K cheaper) or a Porsche Carrear S over an outrageously priced Audi R8 anyday!

The R8 is the "Audi of exotics", it's just too sensible. There's space for golf bags! So what? Nobody buys an F430 because they want to be able to fit a pair of golf bags in it.