Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    But from reading from Dman, Tag, and Dewey about my interest in an M3, they all write like its taboo for a Lexican to own a Bimmer !

Oac, it is clear to me that you would like some sort of sport vehicle. My comment was based on your priorities with the family situation. Those priorities are very understandable and admirable. Heck, I lusted for a Porsche and didn’t get one until I was 53. I owned four Toyotas and two Volvos. No taboo here. Your time will come. You’re probably taking care of family concerns and that, my friend, is the most important thing. You seem to be doing the right thing as a good husband and father. The cars play second fiddle and we know it.

Time for my yearly reminder. Car yentas... all of us! The cars and all of this blog blabber ain’t that important. ;-)
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    Just found out that tires are not covered as wear items in the "pay nothing and drive 4years, 50k miles" marketing tagline. Talk about misleading! BMW's are once again crossed off the shopping list. It's outrageous. Tires are one of the biggest replacement expense in the first 24-36 months, assuming the car is not a complete disaster.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    pay nothing and drive 4years, 50k miles" marketing tagline

LOL,

did you honestly think the tagline above includes tires? Pay nothing for 4 years? If that is the case BMW should cover not only the tires but also the driver's gasoline expenses, car insurance and all travel/restaurant expenses during the 4 years/50k mile term?

BMW and every single auto firm provides warranties on their new cars.
    Bridgestone and all tire makers provides warranties on their tires at a cost ofcourse.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I don't know of any leasing deals for any auto manufacturer where tires are covered when you turn the car in.

What I do is replace the tires after 2 years whether they are worn or not. That way I get one year of use out of them and the tread will pass the 36 month inspection turn-in.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Thanks Dman, Tag, LG, Howard, etc... You guys renewed my faith in this forum... Heck, I was down on HELC just like Len was. But I think I'll stick around some.

And Dman, a special thanks to you for those kind words... I truly truly appreciated those words... every single one of them. Thanks so much.

An Audi S4 cabriolet sounds like a nice idea. I'll definitely check one out. And Howard's suggestions are pretty nice too. Howard, a couple colleagues of mine at work have the 335i. For some strange reasons this car isn't moving my spirit. To be quite honest, I'd rather like a Bangled version of the 3, rather than the muted inoffensive version. Which appears even more strange since my initial reaction to the Bangle-5 was "eeeewwwww", but now I simply love that car. Methinks its a beauty. Maybe I'll change my mind about the 335i as it grows on me... Maybe...
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,960
    Yes, as layers of importance go, all this car talk does not go very deep...but it is still fun. Good post.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Methinks its a beauty. Maybe I'll change my mind about the 335i as it grows on me... Maybe...

I will not gush and rave here about my 335i since this site is not appropriate for such talk . But the 335i's twin turbo is what made it a done deal for me and I have no regrets whatsoever.

The M3? . Currently my children and wife are already complaining about how fast I drive and how swift my turns are. As suggested by D-man I will wait another decade (when I hit 53) to buy an M3. At least by then I will be a older and a more youthful boy racer than I am today.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Just to add a quick note to oac... I think the new 335i convertible with its retractable hardtop and 300hp twin-turbo engine is a masterpiece. Sure the styling is a little less than dramatic, but it's still sweet enough, IMO, and everything else is near top of the scale. I would love to have one myself.

TagMan
    By the way, the new 335i convertible will be BMW's first attempt at a retractable hard top roof. I hope to drive one sometime this spring.

No way there could be any mechanical problems with a BMW retractable roof! :)

A lot of folks will be sweating hoping those 23 seconds to close it go by without incident! :surprise:

Those Florida thunderstorms can do a lot of damage very quickly to fine Corinth...I mean Dakota leather! :sick:
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    Maybe you want to give the Audi S5 a look when it comes out this fall.

Handling should improve a ton, and I think it's a little better looking than the 3 series coupe. [Sorry Hpowders,Don't hate me cause I love Audi's :blush: ]
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    At least by then I will be a older and a more youthful boy racer than I am today.

That's the spirit. A midlife crisis waiting to happen! ;-)
    I have yet to drive an Audi but I have sat in a couple and I am partial to their handsome, upscale interiors. I do wish BMW would learn from them.

Saw an interior photo of the 2008 550 and unfortunately, it's more of the tired "same old, same old."

I knew I was in trouble when the brochure had this to say:

"At first glance, differentiating the 2007 5 Series from the 2008 5 Series is a bit of a challenge." LMAO!! What a gem!!

I have already crossed the 2008 550 off mein leasing list. ;)

Should be around $80k MSRP loaded like most folks would want.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    That Lexus, and the LS, have totally taken over "The Apprentice"?

The teams are designing the ride and drives, commercials every week, The Donald gives his stamp of approval.

It's more Lexus than plot at this point.

Lexus will sell their vehicles. Marketing is a major strength. They ain't playin'!

DrFill ;)
    The teams are designing the ride and drives, commercials every week, The Donald gives his stamp of approval

Sounds as refined and tasteful as their December Red Bow Campaign :sick:
    If it wasn't for those tacky ads I would probably love Lexus more than you do. Well maybe not :P
    Got to agree with ya there fill.

They do marketing better than anybody.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Those scrubs didn't do MY TOL event.

I woulda had to bust a cap! :(

Go Carts? That ain't right.

DrFill :confuse:
    this just in. Someone in car journalism actually likes the Audi RS4 over the M5..........

Film at 11:00...errrr inside line.

Take all the marketing kudos and give them to Lexus.

Audi has engineered a nose heavy M beater.

I'm tellin y'all it's on. Audi is bringing fighter jets to knife fights.

All unbelievers clear the room. The company picnic is expanding from ALMS, and coming to a neighborhood near you.

Wake the kids, call the in-laws.

That's how you start a marketing campaign. You go right to the toughest kid on the block, and knock him right on his [non-permissible content removed].
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    You go right to the toughest kid on the block, and knock him right on his [non-permissible content removed].

BMW sort of did that to themselves. They screwed up the M5, and left the door wide open for Audi to walk in and smack them around a bit. Hopefully this experience will bring the M guys back down to earth and they can start making cars again instead of computers with wheels.
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Posts: 767
    I really admire your taste for Audi, but I think the company still has a lot to over come the bad reputation they had back in the 80's (or early 90's?).
    I was at a gathering last night, and some friends mentioned that they test drove BMW sedans. They loved how the BMW drove but was disappointed with the interior. I told them to looked at Audi since I heard from this forum that the company has the best interior and very good cars lately. Guess what was the first response from my friends, "we heard that Audi vehicles have this issue with unintended acceleration ". :surprise:
    Not surprising at all. M5 is a whole size bigger than RS4, with the inevitable dynamics handicaps, both due to the physical size and weight as well as intended market (people who do not have families get M3 not M5; DSC disable is not a good idea if BMW doesn't want law suits with crushed babies in the backseat in a family car). It just goes to show that, if your primary pursuit is vehicle dynamic performance, HELC is not the place to be.
    I don't know of any leasing deals for any auto manufacturer where tires are covered when you turn the car in.

No other auto manufacturer is advertising "pay nothing and drive 4 years / 50,000 miles" either. $1000+ (or even $2000+ for two sets in 50k miles) is certainly not "pay nothing," especially when we are talking about cars that get leased for only about 20-30% MSRP between cap cost and residual.

What I do is replace the tires after 2 years whether they are worn or not. That way I get one year of use out of them and the tread will pass the 36 month inspection turn-in.

Exactly! What with my wife driving, after about 2 years/20k miles, the tires can't pass state safety inspection :-)
    Tires are car maintenance items, just like brakes. Gasoline, car insurance, travel and restaurants are not car maintenance.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    DSC disable is not a good idea if BMW doesn't want law suits with crushed babies in the backseat in a family car). It just goes to show that, if your primary pursuit is vehicle dynamic performance, HELC is not the place to be.

You're not actually serious, are you? BMW's reasoning was not "crushed babies". This M5 was botched from day one. If they had designed it around a manual transmission, you would be able turn off the DSC, just like in the last M5. The RS6 is going to mop the floor with BMW's failure.
    Well, after 2 years, every one of my vehicles' tires have had sufficient tread left.

It's more the principle of the thing. If I'm going to have to spend for tires at lease termination, I want a year's worth of use out of them. :(
    You're not actually serious, are you?

Actually, I am. The 5 series is first and foremost a midsize family sedan. 114" wheelbase is a platform engineered for smooth ride, not turning on a dime! For comparison, 911 has a wheelbase of 93", and RS4 has a wheelbase of 104"! With that in mind, automatic transmission only made marketting sense. Just to bring the topic back to HELC a little, a typical stretched HELC nowadays rides on a 120" wheelbase! Handling afficienadoes need not apply.
    So let's just forget about handling?

No wonder your a Lexus fan.

LG is right, the manual can't handle the torque. they should have re programmed the ratios and software, instead they put it out as is [with undefeatable DSC]. I almost wonder if they did it on purpose, because they want to stop making manuals. Everyone in Europe seems to be in love with SMG/DSG style trannys.

But, there is no asterisk next to this Audi win IMO. I realize to some degree they are in different classes.

OK. Sorry Pat, no more off topic.
    So let's just forget about handling?
    No wonder your a Lexus fan.

That bit of personal jab is quite uncalled for. I have owned two BMW's, but no Lexus so far. Not putting handling as priority #1 makes me interested in HELC. Notice, not a single S, 7 or LS was tossed into the RS4 vs. M5 jumboree. Size and weight are enemies in handling. As you pointed out, both RS4 and M5 are quite off-topic for HELC. When I shop for a weekend race car, I care about handling very much, just not when shopping for HELC.
    Here is a link to a virtual Audi S6-BMW M5 and MB E63AMG road test. Follow the instructions about using keys and your mouse and this virtual test can be quite fun.

Enjoy!

VIRTUAL ROAD TEST
    Hopefully this experience will bring the M guys back down to earth and they can start making cars again instead of computers with wheels.

BMW M series models have evolved from the very harsh 88 M3 into the more refined and sophisticated M series models you see today. Unfortunately the current M5 is a bit too civilized for its own good.

The very best M series for an enthusiast is the 88 M3. It may not be the fastest but overall it is by far the most exciting car to drive than any of the current versions of "computers on wheels" like the Audi RS or BMW M series models you see today.

The future enthusiast cars of tomorrow will not be new cars but vintage luddite cars of the past like dated Porsche Carreras and 1980s and 90s BMW M series models.

Unfortunately "Computers on Wheels' is the future for all cars including performance ones.