Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    Don, what was/is the actual gas mileage on your Q's - my Lincoln LS was burning much more comparing to what they said it should be burning... And how bad was the maintenance so far?
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    M45 makes perfect sense, shame on you, J/K. But M45 vs. Q45 is just like GS300/430 vs. LS430. Different prices, different classes, different objectives. Q45 is a direct LS competitor, M45 is direct GS competitor.
    Is it again emotions flying, or it's only me?
    M45 is pointles; as opposite to any well executed car that makes a statement as the benchmark in styling, handling, performance & engineering sophistication. M45 is, may be, not a bad car by itself, wouldn't be out there and prior to it's existance Q45; in this situation, with Q45 being so poorly advertised and undermarketed, a car, that has the same size, same engine, same performance, nearly the same interior, and pricetag nearly 20G's lower (in real sales prices) + the car is plain ugly + still lagging behind against it's competition such as BMW540, Audi A6, Lexus GS400 is pointless. You have one excellent car, that is still a lame duck in sales, and now you put on sales floor nearly the same thing - which sells even worse, but competes with your own struggling flagship... And you have to discount this car nearly 20% - it is a killer for the image of a luxury brand. Situation is not like BMW745/BMW545 (or is it 540?) - same engine which is adequate on the bigger car makes smaller car speed demon. It is simply very awkward situation. The only good variable here is that C. Ghosh is still running Nissan, and this situation hopefully will not last long, and he'll straighten it out. M45 is not more than a placeholder for the market segment (I believe it is built on the japanise Sima platform(hope this is correct name), and Q45 in the current form will not last long, and previous gen. Maxima fate is awaiting them - soon better cars will replace though good, but uninspiring current cars. And, we should hand it to Ghosh - look at the parade of Altima, G35, Maxima, coming Titan, Murano. It's not a big deal, to make a mistake, as long as it is corrected promptly.

P.S. don't misunderstand me - I love Q45 and already love M45 for them being excellent cars, that have devastating depriciation in two years. Better than that could be cash given to me only...
  • aramusaramus Member Posts: 5
    After work today, I am taking delivery of a 2003 Q 45. It is the 5th Q 45 that I have leased, starting with a 91. They have all been exceptionally reliable cars and I have enjoyed each one. The 2000 that I am returning, looks and drives as if it was new.
    One thing not mentioned in any of the posts concerning the comparison to other luxury cars is the large difference in the real cost of a lease. I will be paying approximately 2/3 the price of a lease of a 745 or a S 500. The way I see it, I'm getting a car that is 95% or more of the competition, at a bargain price.
    Aramus, congrats, good choice, enjoy the car!!!
    If I may ask, what are the lease terms?
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    Congrats to Aramus... .... I think that the current Q45 is the best bargain on a lease basis. Lots of content at a great price. I really like my 2002 Q... The only reason that I am looking to jump ship is that I do not want to drive the same exact car for another two years, and the Audi and 2004 Jag XJ8 are very appealing....

As for the M45, there is no doubt that this was not a long term development project. It was a "quickie" new model based on an existing chassis and components. It is a price leader in its class for the HP that it offers....... It is a decent car that has a very nice big V8 engine, at a good price.

Yes, Libertycat, you can compare an M45 to a Q45 as a comparison of two different model classes, much like a GS series vs LS series Lexus... However, both Lexus models underwent their own independent development and evolution. The M45 is more of a late comer, built from the Nissan/Infiniti parts bin. It has a Q45 engine and dash put into a 5 year old Nissan chassis. The car had to live with the limitations of the body size and chassis, so interior is cramped, and the trunk is small.....I am not really trying to knock the M45. I am just saying that it is not "the state of the art" car that Infiniti needs in this class. Worse yet, putting so much of the Q45's good stuff in a cheaper car only hurts the current Q45.

When the "new" Infiniti comes out with the 2005-2006 replacements for the Q45 and M45, I am betting that you will see some fresh ideas and innovation.
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    "The only reason that I am looking to jump ship is that I do not want to drive the same exact car for another two years, and the Audi and 2004 Jag XJ8 are very appealing...."

Here's the latest from Car & Driver:

2004 Audi A8 4.2:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_- - - id=6853&page_number=1

2004 Jaguar XJR:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_- id=6849&page_number=1

Just a note on that XJ, the color in the C&R pictures is not a standard available color on the XJR - "Quartz" is only available as a standard color on the XJ8 and Vanden Plas; the tested XJR had a $1,000 extra for its special custom paint. Don't ask me about the logic there - the paint is a standard color on every other car Jaguar produces.
  • dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
    Here are my ratings of what luxury cars I would like to have:

1) Audi A8L
    2) Mercedes S500
    3) BMW 745Li
    4) Mercedes E500
    5) Lexus LS430/Infiniti Q45 (tie)

My ratings are based on these criterias:

1) exterior looks
    2) interior looks and feels
    3) quality of fit and finish
    4) bang for the bucks
    5) reliability

I would have ranked the Japanese cars higher if they looked as good as the Germans.

My rankings for luxury suv's:

1) Range Rover
    2) Lexus LX470
    3) VW Toureg
    4) Porsche Cayenne
    5) BMW X5 4.6

I also wanted to say that this is a discussion on cars. It is based on ones' opinions and experiences with the cars. Some people take these opinions too seriously. Remember this is based on subjectivity. Your opinion is right for you, and my opinion is right for me. There really is no right or wrong. If you like the car, then good for you. If you don't, then say so so that others can view your opinions and make a judgement on whether to purchase the car or not. There is never a need to take a harsh tone with anyone. I've been on the receiving end as well as some of the others that I have read on the board. As always, drive safely out there.
    Well, my own tastes in cars differs from your own in terms of these luxury cars - though I respect your opinion. But I can totally relate on that last part - very well put; I agree 100% with you there.

You all would probably say I'd choose the XJ-Series as my favorite of the bunch, and if that is your guess, you are correct. However, I don't dislike any of the cars of this class either - okay, the trunk on the 7 is not to my liking, but it is a nice car even though it's not my favorite; I see no point in hating or disliking any car, though being apathetic is understandable. For SUV's, I actually like the Cayenne - despite all of the criticism aimed at it - and the Range Rover, but that's for another board.
    The Q45 has full-size leg room while the M45 has mid-size front and compact rear leg room according to reviews.
  • ksurgksurg Member Posts: 48
    Sorry I didn't mean to say you can't be rational and have fun. It's just lately some of the posts are getting brutal. There's a lot of subjectiveness when it comes to rating cars. I remember when JDP evaluated initial interior quality based on number of imperfections. Ever compare a hand made car with quality leather to a plastic and vinyl interior. I have and guess what... the cheap interior was "more perfect." Though Toyota may indeed have captured the hybrid market there is other technology on the horizon. And especially as things stand now, no one manufacturer has the auto market cornered. I hope for all our sakes the competition continues. I'm glad you like Lexus, merc1 prefers MB, DonFenn votes Jaguar and bmwseller sells BMW. You are all well informed, savvy consumers. All I was trying to get across is people have different tastes and that's OK.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Your take on the Q45/M45 situation is exactly right. They did go for the 745/540 relationship, but it's very poorly executed. The M45 is basically an Americanized, Japanese market Cedric/Gloria.

aramus,

There is no way a Q45 is %95 of those cars, they simply out-class, and outdo the Q45 is way too many areas. If it were truly that way the Q would be a lot more popular like the car that truly is closer to being a high percentage of what the competition offers, that car being the LS430.

jagboyxtype,

Imagine that, you and I both like Porsche's "truck". Who would have thunk it.

M
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I like your rating system catagories...although we all would probably have our own individual order of importance ...

I am assuming that prestige is including in the looks category and I would also give MB the top mark there....

However Lexus scores #1 in the other 4 categories why did you rate it down with the Q45?
    There is some size difference, but I drove both, and honestly, couldn't see it so much - both cars, somehow, don't seem particularly spacious inside. Could pls someone share info re. current leases for both cars, based on actual experience - would greatly appreciate it.
    May be I am wrong, and beauty is in the eye of beholder, but I still don't know, how Lexus outdoes Q45 - Q45 looks better, more athletic and cosmopolitan and less particularly japanise (unlike Lex), both cars have nearly the same amenities; I like Q45's 340 ponies, etc. And Lexus - everybody has it: I hate to be part of the herd. And, in the way everybody is having a Lexus - to me, there is some vulgarity in it. Paying so much money ideally should give you some freedom, at least freedom of your mind and choice - why everybody still prefers to have freedom of choosing the same uniform? That's why, also, I like Q45 - it's underdog status, which is confronting Lexus/Mercedes duo, makes it nearly antiestablishment; I like give people chance, and I don't think choosing Q45 over any other car in this category would be a mistake.
    Besides the XJ Type, I think it is the best. So second place in the ultra luxury class for me. It has great interior and especially exterior styling, a VERY powerful engine, LOTS of room, 95% of the features of it's competitors for 15% less, plus it DOESN'T have the features people don't want (iDrive, etc.). It is WAY better than 7 Series, S Class, and LS430 and equal to A8 and XJ Type.
    Merc1 said "There is no way a Q45 is %95 of those cars, they simply out-class, and outdo the Q45 is way too many areas. If it were truly that way the Q would be a lot more popular like the car that truly is closer to being a high percentage of what the competition offers, that car being the LS430."..............

I disagree that with this simplistic stance, using sales as the determining factor. (Merc1, based on sales figures, your Mitsubishi is not a very strong car either, but I assume that you like it)

The Q45 does offer many similar attributes to other cars. They may have missed on the styling and curb appeal, but it is a very nice car with lots of content and a nice power train. On a lease basis it is "a nice drive"... and it does offer similarities to some of the more costly cars in this class.

Do I like the new A8 better? Sure, I may even buy one. But, the Audi also costs about 15k more when similarly equipped.
    Well, excuse me, the styling of the Q45 is IMO the BEST IN CLASS. Better than A8 and XJ Type and way better than S Class and 7 Series and WAY WAY better than LS430.
    Styling is very subjective. Libertycat, I am glad that you like it.

I have "no axe to grind" against Infiniti... since I own a 2002 Q45, which is my fifth Q45 since 1990.
    Congratulations! Enter the Guinness Book of Records "Most Infiniti Q45s owned" LOL!
    Some people don't care for the Q's styling, with the "gatling gun headlights" and all of those comments, but I find the car to be very attractive inside and out, and intriguing. I've only driven one in relatively a relatively short drive, but it seems up to the standards of its competitors in most respects. My personal preferences in areas such as performance, technology, styling, and ride, etc. still make the XJ tops in my opinion for this class, but the Q45 is one great car too. I honestly think the Q's a good looking, classy car. I don't care for the M's styling so much, but that's just me, and I haven't driven it yet, so it may surprise me - I don't dislike it at all though.

DonFenn-

I agree with you on your view of the "simplistic stance". If sales were a determining factor in telling how great a car is, then all of those Camry and Corolla buyers must be seeing something that we're not. The Q just suffers from being a less-well-known offering in a market with well established and not necessarily better competiton. I don't know about others here, but the first few names that pop into *my* head when I think "high-end luxury" for a nano-second are Mercedes and Jaguar. Further thought then leads to BMW, Lexus, Audi,.......... Infiniti. The Q just doesn't have its name thrown around so much that the public knows about it, but that doesn't make it an underperformer in any way compared to the competition in terms of the car you get. And what it lacks in sales, it gains back in exclusivity and uniqueness; it's not being another "cookie-cutter" overly mass-produced so-called "luxury" car that is used as a taxi cab in Germany.

Merc1-

I'm just wondering, why would you purchase a Japanese car when in your opinion European cars are so superior in every aspect? A nice C-Class is only a few thousand more than a Mitsubishi, especially for the Spyder.
    A Mitsubishi is not a car...

Just kidding.
    Still nobody want's to tell me how much they leased the car for. I'll be annoyingly whining in 5 minutes. Ah-a-a-a...
    He means the Eclipse, OBVIOUSLY. There is no Galant Spyder or Montero Spyder.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Rolls Royce is THE name for sheer luxury but is now joined by the Maybach.
        Cadillac name was forever tarnished when GM put Cadillac on the Chevy Cavalier and on an Opel and now with Cadillac on a Chevy Avalanche.
    Those are exotic luxury sedans, we are talking about ultra luxury sedans. Only about $200,000 difference.
    You'll be shocked to find out how well this truck-Caddy sells in my "Soprano's" loving neighbourhood... Escalade also sells well in NY, btw especially in inner cities - has some curb appeal to the certain type customer. In a way Caddy has opened for itself some new customer base. But, generally, I should say, Caddy churns out more and more attractive cars. A while ago I nearly fell for DTS...

On Q45 styling - it may use some work, of course, but what would work greatly for this car, would be slightly stretched version of the car, like Audi has slightly longer A8. And, visually it would be more appealing. And in general, they could make it slightly roomier inside. Same, as they did to Maxima - same engine, bigger car; not only people who are loyalist went after it, but the guys who would normally go for other brands switched to it. Incidently, is Max roomier than Q45? Hm, let me think....
    I LOVE THE DTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and DHS. They have the prettiest interiors of any sedans on the market today. I wouldn't be shocked about well-selling Escalades and EXTs. They sell well everywhere. They have curb appeal and are the dream of everyone to own.
    will compete in this class. So watch out class leaders Q45 and XJ Type.
    Fine with me. As I said, I am the secondary market... I buy them two years old (except the ones for my wife, who wants (and gets) only new cars to show off to her girlfriends - but most of you guys will now how this particular part of your life works). But, a 2-3 year old luxocruiser is still better than the Accord she gets, he-he.
    It is nice to see that there are Q45 supporters here.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Infiniti has stopped any significant effort in marketing the car, and passed on any tweaks or updates of significance for the 2004 model year...Meanwhile, Lexus is giving an update to the LS430 and BMW is going to clean up the rear fascia of the 7 series. Both of these models were unveiled within about 6 months of the current Q45, and they are still getting some freshening for 2004 ....Why not the Q45?

Infiniti is just leaving the Q45 as-is with a new color option and a minor transmission shift modification. It is as if they just gave up on this Q45..That is why I am looking elsewhere for my next car.

With respect to the Q45's size...The interior is spacious from the driver's seat. I am 6'3" and I find my seating very ample. The problem is that the backseat is relatively cramped.
    The LS430 was on sale in 2000, a whole year before the Q45 and the 7 Series was getting so much criticism about its styling that BMW had to restyle it.
    I am not 6'3" - couple of inches less, but when I step on the scale - then I can really impress, that's why the car IS SMALL! Especially rear seat... Especially for the person who is in the rear seat, specifically when I am driving....
    Again, current Nissan management looks very capable and I don't think they will abandon the segment. I suspect, there is something going on in Infiniti's design kitchen - and so far, with the new French chef they've got, the dishes come out very tasty. Let's just wait.
    Well, the word from my source at Infiniti is that they are just now designing and formulating what will happen for the 2006 year (with a debut in mid-2005). From what I understand, there are no plans to do anything with the current car until then....That certainly shows a bit of Infiniti's apathy towards the car...

By the way, I was told that they may even drop the Q45 model designation and come out with a totally new model designation for the Infiniti flagship.
    Design of any car is expensive; design of a flagship is even more costly, especially if the prior one was a flop. Return on a successful 60G's car can be tremendous, just ask Lexus - but this is not the experience Infinity can relate to, that's why it is understandable. ROI, if you know what I mean. But, they will warm up to it, they just need to star believing in themselves again. They should show same practical approach they had to G35. And, may be, show me the car prior to final stages of design - so far I was never wrong, predicting a car's fate.
    I would think twice prior to killing Q45 nameplate - not a single person I know has ever gave any negative comments regarding this car. Moreover, lack of Infiniti's attention to the car and extremely poor marketing is what stops people from continuing ownership of Q45.
    I think you missunderstood me about the Q45, it's a good car, and I happen to actually like it, especially more than it's cross-town rival. But to say it's %95 of what you'll get with an S-Class or 7-Series is a little too far fetched. Sales while not a end-all determining factor, they do gauge what people think about the car *to a degree*. My point was that this car if it was so close to being an S-Class or 7-Series the word would have gotten out now, and it wouldn't be dead in the water in only it's 2nd model year. The Q45 doesn't have the ride/handling mix of those cars. It doesn't ride as smoothly as the S and it can't hope to match the 7-Series for sportiness. The Q surely isn't ninety-five percent of the S-Class or 7-Series either when it comes to features, especially when talking about the S-Class. Styling is a personal thing, and to most the Q missed the boat. Nissan/Infiniti also tried to market the car as a sport sedan, of which it isn't, that helped kill it in the marketplace. They also bragged about it's hp and the car when initially tested wasn't no where near as fast as it should have been considering it had a 30-40hp advantage on the class, again at that time. The M45 surely didn't help matters either.

The Q just came out for the 02 model year, so thats why its not getting any refresh for 04, plus the car has been a sales dud, so it's hard for Nissan to justify the money for something like that.

Bottom line the Q45 is a good car, but when it comes to S, A8 and 7-Series territory being a "good" car doesn't cut it. It's about %70 percent of those cars, no where being %95. It's really a good car in search of proper marketing and some fine-tunning if they truly intend to position it as a S-Class, 7-Series or A8 alternative.

jagboyxtype,

Exclusiviity is a often-used excuse when a car doesn't sell well. If you were to say the Jag is exclusive I'd agree, they didn't go for volume in the first place, never really have with the XJ. Thats not Infiniti's case. So the S-Class is a cookie-cutter design because its used a taxicab in it's home country? You said that just to take a shot right old friend?

M
    IMO it is 100% of these cars for 25% less. It is not a "sales dud" as I see them ALL the time and the S Class is so common, I get tired of its styling. It does have the handling and power of the pitiful 7 and S.
    Well the industry says it isn't, nobody has ever compared the Q45 with the S or 7 favorably. If Infiniti says its been "lackluster" in sales then I'd go with what they'd say about it. No other car in recent memory has bombed as bad in only its second model year.

How you feel about a car and it's position in the market are two very different things. I feel the same way about the A8, but Audi has done it right for 2004, and it's sales should show this soon. The S and 7-Series are "pitiful"? Ok.

M
    You don't have to fight every argument until you win, merc. They are pitiful because they are SO much more expensive than Q45, XJ Type, and A8 yet offer LESS. Plus the 7 Series looks like a 18" scale model car inside. So plasticky and the wood looks SOOO fake even though it isn't. THAT is pitiful. And the S Class has less wood trim than the Q45 even. That is SO silly.
    Yep I guess we will if you're judging a car to be "pitiful" because of it's wood trim. Thats it silly. None of the cars in this class are pitiful. That notion flies in the face over everything ever written about these cars.

M
    Merc, I never mentioned the S-Class's name in that taxi statement - it's an old tired joke; BMW's and even Jaguars are used as taxis in Europe too, but Germany is the country known for using what Americans consider the highest mass-produced luxury (i.e. - not Rolls or Maybach, but the step below, which is this class) whether it be Benz, Jag, or Bimmer as taxis - there are also Jaguar police cars and I've seen Bimmer police cars too (both the X-type and 3-Series are used as high-speed interceptors) if that helps. I really didn't mean offense by it, nor was I trying to "fire a shot" at any particular brand so I hope you don't take it too personally. I really am sincere.

I think your own protective nature of your favorite brand has caused you to sometimes believe that people are trying to bash when they really aren't. I'm the same way, so we both need to cool down on it a bit with that. We've got to come to realize that these are only opinions, and what does it matter what someone says about a car - in this case, "nothing" is the answer and the key to being enlightened. Really, nothing more was meant by the comment than to say that the Q45's low sales do gain it more exclusivity - be it through not selling well or the company's own decision to make it a low volume car, it still ends up being more exclusive than its much faster selling competitors. It doesn't matter how it becomes exclusive - what matters is that it is exclusive.

So, we're old friends again now, old sport?

Here, as a tolken of good will, I offer this newfound review of the XJ.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosconsumer/0307/16/g03-218791.htm

Despite them liking the car, through my experience in reading their other works, *my opinion* (just in case you like them - really don't want to offend) of them is that they are pretty worthless writers. But sometimes they offer a few good bits, and here, they do offer some of the things I've been saying - like how the XJ is on a modified and lengthened S-type platform; the DEW98, which is still a Ford design, but strengthened with some bracing enough to keep rigidity when cast in aluminum. See, and you like this "not-so real" Jaguar! :-) <-see it!?
    Of course we are, we never really "fell-out" as the saying goes. We just tend to not budge and disagree on our views about our brands of choice. There is only truly one person in all of Edmunds that irks me to the point of me actually getting me seriously annoyed with them, and that person rarely, if ever posts on any of the Sedans boards. I was right with you on the taxicab thingy, you know I hear that one a lot. That and the dump truck, garbage truck jabs, as Mercedes-Benz makes some of those also. The only thing I disagree about is the Q45 so-called exclusiveness, it's not exclusive by choice, like certain cars are. They're desperate to sell more of the, but can't. The A8 is in a similar boat, but just had it's best sales month ever so that may change for Audi. When Nissan gets around to their upper segment cars, or in other words the next Q and more importantly the M45 they'll have better success.

Well you know we can live/die by car reviewers. Most curse them when their view doesn't line up with their own. I'm guilty of that when it comes to BMW and Car and Driver, other than than I pretty much agree with them *most* of the time. There are exceptions. I do find Edmunds' first drives sometime suspect at times. Things "like I couldn't fit my Arizona Ice-Tea in the cupholder" have to be laughed at, imo.

As you know I'm a big fan of the new XJ, it's just what Jaguar needed in the premium segment. Is there any hope of another XJ12? I did read where there might be a long wheelbase version in a couple of years. I voted it "World-Class" on the site you linked, surprisingly %37 of the voters rated it as acceptable? I just don't see how anyone could come to that conclusion at all.

M
    Well, first, I am glad that we are in good standing with each other, old sport. Though we anger each other when in "the heat of battle," you should know that I will never have ill feelings toward you simply for us having different opinions. Perhaps in our differences of opinion, our similar attributes (dare I call us both stubborn - no, wrong, word, "we both hold to our positions firmly" - there we go) come through. And we both know tons about the respective marques that interest us the very most.

As far as people criticizing M-B for knowing how to make world class luxury cars and more utilitarian vehicles too, from a logical standpoint, the person badmouthing the marque because of that actually looks pretty stupid. Look, they know how to make ALL those different vehicles! OMG! - they make a dump truck - yeah, even Honda can't make one of those, and they advertize how they can make everything from an ATV to an NSX. It's just plain silly to criticize them for having the know-how to diversify; it's like picking on the nerd who scored a 1600 on his SAT's - ha! ha! - look who should really be laughing. Know what I mean?

As for Q's exclusivity, I see your point about the differences, I RESPECT IT, I still believe more firmly in my own opinion, but I'll agree wholeheartedly to disagree (without one of our "battles" - that's what I'll call them now :-) ).
    Ok fair enough.

M
    Wow! Waiting for that response was like the waiting for the outcome of the '62 Cuban Missile Crisis! Glad we both ended on a good note.

See you around later, old sport.
    -JBX
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    I lied in Germany for many years. I have never seen a Jaguar taxi anywhere in Europe. The X-type might have changed it, but I'd be surprised.

BMWs also are highly unusual as taxis. And they have not won the police car procurement in a while for all I know. The Munich area is about the only place in Germany where you'll still see beemer police cars for obvious reasons.

Mercedes have been seen as great taxi cabs for one obvious reason that actually makes them appealing: long diesel tradition, and longevity.
  • stehersteher Member Posts: 37
    I am from Germany/Ingolstadt and I've never seen a X-Type police car or taxi! The taxi sector is dominated by Mercedes and a few Audis and BMW and a few other brands. The Police-car sector is the part of BMW and Audi and MB, but also VW and Opel are used. "Highspeed interceptors" as you call them are mostly ordinary Audi A6, Bmw 5-series or MB E-class or even Opel Omegas. And they have around 200 hp. That's enough for 150 mph! There are very few more powerful police-cars!
  • t6553gwt6553gw Member Posts: 18
    You guys are really fun, I read your meesage every morning and it's better than any news page. In my oppinion of which car is better, there is only one way to find out - take it to the autobahn and drive the hell out of it, then you will know.
    I hope next flagship Q will be much larger car, with bigger engine (Q56?) and athletic performance - Nissan can pull it off. But exterior styling should be more contemporary classic and underscore luxury. Q45 should be redesigned to be ether LS430/BMW740, or larger BMW540 sized. It's important, though, to go full throtle, like with G35, and not halfhearted, like current Q45, which was designed in time of financial hardship for Nissan, and times like that impair the brains, obviously. Luxury car must be OPULENT luxury, NO COMPROMISES. And ask VERY high price, vorget about discounts. It must be desirable, it must be a dream. You must give people something to drrol about.
    Hey guys, I am well traveled throughout most of western Europe and while I'll admit that a Mercedes or BMW taxi is much more common than a Jaguar one, seeing a Jaguar XJ taxi was also not impossible - cause I did.

At the time of that spotting, the X-type had just come out - the Jagtaxi was an XJ (X300), meaning the Jaguars have been taxis for quite some time even before the Jaguars became more popular with new entries.

Also, these are British, but the rest of the European police force I believe looks about similar in terms of the colorful paintjobs. Yes, most Jaguar police cars and taxis will probably be found in the U.K. playing "cops and robbers" like their Mk 2 ancestors, but around the German and French border, you may spot an S-type police car. Sorry I didn't snap photographs of those while I was there (we have to keep up appearances, you know), but perhaps these will help, despite them being British:

XJ40
    http://www.nps.gov/uspp/images/jag.jpg

X-type
    http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/napfm/fleet/fleetmod/fleet7.jpg

X-type
    http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/napfm/2002/images/jaguar.jpg

S-type
    http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/police/photos/uk_dorset_jaguar2- .jpg

S-type rear
    http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/police/photos/uk_dorset_jaguar.- jpg

S-type
    http://policecanada.ca/GRC105.jpg

S-type side
    http://policecanada.ca/grc105B.jpg

As for the "high speed interceptor" term, that wasn't mine; an article I read whose link now seems broken had been discussing the roles of the recently-added-to-the-fleet X-types in some British police force and all of the technology added to the cars.
    A couple of years ago I saw 911 in police striping in Duesseldorf/Neuss area. Guess, the purpose was same as what Z28 is doing on our highways.
    I called it pitiful because the interior looks so bland and the price is SO high and yet the overall car is worse than competitors that cost $20,000 less than it. The only reason to get an S Class is for the Mercedes logo on the car.