Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I am seeing several 2006 M35's advertised with low miles in the $27,000 range in the KC area. These are new car dealers and the cars have "lots of warranty left". I may also check these out. The only knock I have heard on these cars is that they get relatively poor mileage.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    The only knock I have heard on these cars is that they get relatively poor mileage.

Yeah, the problem is aggressive gearing combined with only 5 ratios. I don't think its an issue with the engine itself, as Nissan has shown that the VQ35 can actually be reasonably fuel efficient when paired with their CVT, despite being a bit of a gruff 'ole bear compared to the silky Lexus 3.5L. That's another reason why if you're looking at a used M you might as well get the V8. The M35 is now rated at 16/23, vs. 16/21 for the M45.
  • michmportmichmport Member Posts: 10
    Has it been everyone's experience to always change the rotors whenever changing the pads during the brake maintenance on the A8

Mechanic is suggesting that when the "brake pad" light comes on the rotors are already probably damaged. So, they usually replace them at the same time.

I would think the warning light would warn you well in advance of impending damage. any advice would help with my discussion with the mechanic.
    I had my LX 470 in for an oil change yesterday and noticed that they had a used LX 570 on their lot with about 8,000 miles. Thinking it may be a good buy, I asked the price. Wrong. It sold new for $80,000. and they were now asking $85,000. The salesman said their allocation for new ones was sold out for the next year and a half so they felt justified in asking a premium price. I told him he was nuts.

So much for the high price of gas affecting the sales of this particular SUV. :mad:

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    a used LX 570 on their lot with about 8,000 miles. Thinking it may be a good buy, I asked the price. Wrong. It sold new for $80,000. and they were now asking $85,000. The salesman said their allocation for new ones was sold out for the next year and a half so they felt justified in asking a premium price. I told him he was nuts

Thats so unfair people try to take so much advantage if your looking to get a car.

Asking more price than the new car I hate this kind of people. :mad:
    So much for the high price of gas affecting the sales of this particular SUV.

When you get to the level of LX570, RR Supercharged, Cayenne Turbo, etc. gas prices just don't matter anymore. Ask Ferrari or Aston Martin if gas prices are hurting sales. I don't think so.
    Well, the LX 570 is one SUPER SUV. I don't think anything else even comes close to it. Plus they are apparently in short supply. I might just check out the LC.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Well, the LX 570 is one SUPER SUV

It certainly is an impressive vehicle. Not my kind of thing, but its a great execution by Lexus.
    Well, the LX 570 is one SUPER SUV. I don't think anything else even comes close to it. Plus they are apparently in short supply. I might just check out the LC

Its very well put together great for family in a long drive cruising.

I would say the LX is a better choice then the LC.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Ah, capitalism. Supply and demand. It works. Sometimes unfortunately for some folks...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

True. I have no problem with the way the Lexus dealer priced this truck, I was just extremely surprised. A supreme compliment for the LX.

Apparently Lexus only plans to sell around 10,000 of these a year so they are in very short supply and there is no intent to increase production.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... Ask Ferrari or Aston Martin if gas prices are hurting sales. I don't think so.

Well, considering that those cars only see about 5 or 10 tanks of gas per owner before being sold (10 being a stretch), why would they? You should see how many M5s are coming back to BMW lots now. Read the forums. The guys/gals love the car, but they are just sick of filling it up all the time. And with gas prices headed the direction they are, it quickly becomes a fiscal nightmare to drive such cars. Rich people didn't get rich by throwing away money just because they can...
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    It certainly is an impressive vehicle. Not my kind of thing, but its a great execution by Lexus.

That was my reaction to it when I saw it at the car show. Most mpressive SUV from Toyota to date... yet a pathetically thirsty gas hog.

Toyota is smart to keep the supply very limited... not too many folks would actually want one. By keeping it in short supply, it doesn't appear to be the sales loser it otherwise would be. And I do say "loser" from a sales perspective, not from a quality perspective, as it is a quality vehicle... just way too thirsty and expensive to sell in ANY large numbers, with SUV sales in the toilet the way they are.

But overall, not my thing either.

TM
    they are just sick of filling it up all the time. And with gas prices headed the direction they are, it quickly becomes a fiscal nightmare to drive such cars. Rich people didn't get rich by throwing away money just because they can...

Bingo!

TM
    just way too thirsty and expensive to sell in ANY large numbers, with SUV sales in the toilet the way they are.

Well, the LX has never been a big seller, and after the GX, you really had to want one to justify the price. Obviously they want to protect dealer margins on these things. They can't have them stacking up on lots like Acura RLs. :)
    Rich people didn't get rich by throwing away money just because they can...

Correct, but many people who are extravagant enough to own "track cars" are so rich that if they want something they buy it. They have so much money that the value is meaningless to them. It is the "ordinary" rich, people who earned what they have, that don't foolishly waste money.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

In chatting with the Lexus salesman I found out that there is a really hot market in exporting slightly used LX 570's. A U.S. Lexus dealer is prohibited from selling new vehicles over seas, mainly because of the difference in currencies, etc. but this does not apply to used vehicles.

With the dollar so low in relation to many other currencies a $90,000. used LX 570 is quite a bargain in many parts of the world.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I am sure that a "track car" owner has earned his money just as much as a non track car owner has earned his.

And what is considered wasteful spending is quite subjective. Speaking personally, I've worked since I was a small child, mowing lawns and delivering newspapers. As soon as legally old enough I got my first of many legitimate jobs, some of which were back-breaking.

I've worked and earned my way my entire life. I am considered very successful by most measurements, I admit, but I do not like to be too wasteful, yet I generally tend to go through cars like sneakers... It is one of my real weaknesses... I just love cars... But I do not like all of them, of course... As you know and sometimes find objectionable.

TM
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    What we need to do here is stick to the cars and skip the generalized assumptions about those who own them.
    Sorry Tag, I was just speaking in generalities. Certainly no offense intended. People with the kind of wealth I was speaking of would probably not be posting here. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Ya' never really know who might be posting here. ;)

TM
    Is anyone here considering purchasing a lux car or SUV that is a gas hog?

TM
    Possiblemente... Lexusguy (I think you still have the XK...), what's the real-world mpg for your XK? Any XF owner's here that can comment on mpg?

I don't care how much money I have (or don't). I won't buy a guzzler. Of course, I'll have to define guzzler for myself...

Not an SUV guy. Evil Wife's RX300 is getting 19+ mpg in local commuting driving post O2 sensor replacement. Not spectacular, but not too guzzling. And, given the utility it presents, that's okey-dokey. I consistently get 23mpg in mixed-commute driving in my TL slushbox.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

The fuel economy is important to me, too... regardless of price and ability to pay. My Carrera S has been guzzling gas lately... it may be a service issue... but, if not, I'm done with it. Went from 18 to 13.7 mpg, without any known reason, and that's just not OK with me anymore.

TM
    I'm a driving child of the '70s, so gas lines, purchase limits and odd/even buying days have never left my memory. Although prices are increasing exponentially daily, at least gas seems to be available. Today, at least...

And, as a child of the '60s, I"ve always been somewhat "green." Global warming, natural or man-induced matters not. It can't hurt to treat our tiny planet with just a bit of respect. I've always owned cars that returned decent MPG, my TL is a ULEV.

Wow, that's a distressing drop in mpg for Das Porshce! Maybe a bad sensor or injector? Not getting the right fuel mix? I'm no mechanic... Hopefully it can be rectified as I'm sure you'd hate to part with one of Ferry's children. Fun and economical!

Possiblemente... Lexusguy (I think you still have the XK...), what's the real-world mpg for your XK?

Yep, I'll be keeping the XK for awhile. It does pretty well for a V8 powered luxury convertible. Much like the XJ, the aluminum structure means it weighs hundreds of pounds less than its porky German rivals, so the fuel economy is pretty decent, despite the AJ-V8 being rather outdated. I probably average around 20mpg, but it can go as high as 28mpg on the highway. Opting for the supercharger of course takes away the efficiency.

Unfortunately the XF isn't aluminum, it actually weighs 200lbs. more than a Super V8 Portfolio, so fuel economy isn't that spectacular.
    I am actually toying with the idea of upgrading our 2000 LX to a 2006 or 2007 certified LX. My wife has driven our current LX for 5 years and continues to love it. Since she only drives about 8,000 miles per year gas would hurt some but not too much. And there are really some bargains out there!! Maybe low forties and I have someone who wants to buy mine for $20,000.

Toying with the idea but not committed. I just hate the idea of 14 mpg. At $4. per gal we would have an annual fuel cost of around $2200.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• bob204bob204 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at a used big body Lexus either 2001-2003 models. I have read wonderful praise and quite good mpg, surprising actually just how good. But, must one use only premium gasoline and if not will the lesser grades harm the engine..
    Hey, Where have you been long time no post???

Did you purchase a new car?
    Yes, just last week we traded our 2000 LX on a CPO 2007 LX with 26,000 miles. It is gorgeous and we are very pleased with it. We traded for a difference of $36,000. I thought it was a good deal.

We looked at the 2008 but my wife actually liked the 2007 better. I think because she was more used to it. We also drove a new 2008 Landcruiser. I liked it but it was a little too plain for my wife.

What have you been doing lately?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

With today's modern computer managed engines most will run just fine on regular gas. You will probably give up a little on hp but nothing significant. The LS 430 should do just fine.

Warning......If you drive one you will fall in love. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Hello,

Congratulations You don't post in LL anymore?

Well I always trust Japanese engineering electronics and reliability better, but the problem is I like Germans as well especially suvs, As you would know I've been interested in suvs more.

To me suvs from Japan and Germans are completely different and I think you are the 1 who told me about it.

Yes the LX is a great car but
    1st its very expensive
    2nd If I wanted I would get the new 1 .
    3rd Its just too big for me I wont me using the second row of seat so what would I do with full size suv.
    4th I don't go offroad.

I've been to 3 dealers 2 days ago...

Infiniti. Went to check out the fx and ex I felt strange sitting inside and I said to myself now I know why soo many people buy the rx.

IMO the RX is a lot more comfortable inside.

2nd Went to Mercedes wasn't really interested just went to check it out.

ML not worth it RX is better. E and C class nope. CLS nice but the interior not so sure about it, but these is enough head room in the back for a 6ft plus guy. CL65 oh my very very expensive but what a car. S class was the best car they got IMO comfortable safe solid great driving position.

3rd Porsche Cayenne is nice good size but the interior and way over priced not so sure about it and the options are endless

Well thats the things that...

Are you also going to trade your ls400?
    Hi BM,

Yes, I understand your feelings about the LX. It is certainly not for everyone. My wife mainly drives it and I want her to be safe and comfortable. Plus for trips it is a superb freeway cruiser.

No I do not visit the LL any more. It just seemed to devolve into a BMW forum. I have owned BMWs in the past and just found them to be OK but very much lacking in reliability and refinement. Performance is good but a waste for me as 100% of my driving is in urban areas with speed limits of under 45 mph or freeway driving at 70+ and in a straight line.

Here is an idea for you to check out. Times are changing. If I was a young man like you I would test drive the Hyundai Sante Fe, preferably the V6 limited. If you do, let me know what you think. Obviously it is not considered a luxury suv but it sure has a lot of nice features, I think it looks great and the price is right.

I do not currently own an LS I have an Acura RL. I will probably trade it some time after the first of the year when some of the new diesels start arriving. I am very interested in them. But I will probably end up with an LS 430.

You should also check out the Stories from the Sales Frontline forum. Some very interesting characters there in the car sales biz. They have a lot of fun and are very helpful. Stay in touch.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• fusillifusilli Member Posts: 24
    yeah, it does look like a hearse! I took an R350 for a test drive the other day, and OMG, after looking at the Lexus ES350 and the GS350 and then the C Benz, I was blown away by the R350. Never in a million years did I think I'd like the car. It is prettier inside than it is out, so that is all I care about. The panoramic roof is really cool. I read somewhere on Edmunds that someone chose the GMC Acadia over the Benz, well, I gotta tell ya, my boyfriend has an Acadia (pays close to $800 a month for a lease...ripoff), and I have had almost every brand of SUV out there, including two Benzes, Jeeps, Explorers, you name it. I was very, very impressed with the R350.
    I would think you could get a great deal on the R class right now. I bet it is a great freeway cruiser. f u silli. Catchy name. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    I once asked a poster ("bigal") if it was bi gal or big al.

Different, for sure.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is looking to talk with consumers who have considered purchasing a luxury car in the past, but would not do so currently because of the economy, or consumers who have traded-in their luxury vehicle. Please send your email address and phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, February 6, 2008.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• A8passengerA8passenger Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 Audi A8L and I am trying to find a way to upgrade the OnStar system in my car. I have called Audi customer service and I have also talked to Chevy Service department and no one knows how I can upgrade my analog system to the newer digital system so that I can get a subscription to OnStar to update my maps in the navigation system and for the hands free phone use. If nothing else I would love to just find something to upgrade the car to do handsfree phone communication with my verizon phone. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would appreciate any info. Thank you.
    Mike
    If I recall, Audi stopped using OnStar two or three model years back, so you're definitely not going to get any help from them on an upgrade. A trip to the Chevy dealership, as you've found, is a waste of time. They aren't going to touch another manufacturers system; especially not a luxury marque.

I believe there are lots of aftermarket hands-free setups you could have installed. Of course, it's not going to be integrated with any of your car's other systems. You could go to a reputable audio install shop in your area and have an aftermarket audio/nav system installed that will also have Bluetooth capabilities, but unless you pay big bucks, it's not going to be integrated into any of your cars other systems (climate control, steering wheel buttons, etc.), either.
  • polljimmypolljimmy Member Posts: 6
    Hi Friend,
    You are every great care is come let and its publicity, marketing and all talk is start is too begins.
    It's market policy.
  • ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    Sardine recursion on yellow hubcaps withholding preservatives. Negative bite-slice on tomato can enigma. It's reality.
  • rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Funniest thing I've read on here in awhile. :D

I figured I had too much to drink when reading the prior post.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    with a vengeance.

Off topic, but back to life. :D
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I think the luxury car market is going thru a slump. There just doesn't seem to be any exciting cars out there right now...except maybe the Genesis.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Nothing against the snowball running down the hill that is Hyundai, but...

Even Hyundai knows the Genesis is not an HELC. It's success makes it a no brainer to bring the Equus over here to test that market.

Overall, the entire car market is in a slump. I think the HELC market is on the way to correcting itself during the next uptick, where those who can truly afford will drive.

IMO, of course.
    I didn't mean to imply that the Genesis was a HELC...just that it is an exciting car. I would probably classify it as mid level premium.

The Equus just might shake up the luxury market if it is priced right and does not disappoint. Second channel maybe?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

:D:D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't comprehend that! I was gonna say something but didn't want to seem ignorant. :confuse: I wanted to come back with the old "All your base are belong to us. Make your time!" :P
  • greyson1greyson1 Member Posts: 3
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace the oxygen sensor on a 735il? The manual is not too clear. Specifically, where are the connections? Thank You.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Although technically not the same class, the price is about the same once you add the necessary packages to the E.
    I compared both LS 460 and LS 430 to new and old E's. Interestingly, MB just does not have all the goodies on their cars that the competition has, even Genesis. If you add the ones you can, the cost rises astronomically.
    Like the 460, but see too many complaints about wind noise, road noise, engine problems, etc. Also 430 seems to ride better from reports.