Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ejerodejerod Member Posts: 86
    If trying to decide to lease or buy there are many things to consider. I for example considered that the cost of ownership is less when leasing initially, but you usually lose with a lease on the back end unless you keep the car in immaculate condition ( which I do) and/or sell it yourself and keep the difference. keep in mind that when you lease there is usually a one year prepayment penalty if you pay it off the first year. I leased the car initially to be sure I wanted to keep it. I do so I'll pay it off after the prepayment clause is terminated. Some think leasing is the least expensive way to own a car. Well let's look at this example. Say you owna 95 MB S500. If it were paid for you could get nearly 30 in trade value, and if you were buying a new MB S500 at 90 K you drive off for 60, in an equity position, and with the advent of the new free maintenance agreement the cost of ownership as opposed to leasing is now negligible. So weigh your options and see what's best for you...
  • scongroscongro Member Posts: 80
    What does the LS 430 not have that the S 500 does have (besides 13 more horses)?
  • chuck96chuck96 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a '95 740IL, and after reading your comments...I may not! Are there any satisfied '95 740IL owners out there? What percent of that vehicles ends up with engine problems?
  • bwhbwh Member Posts: 76
    They will ALL fail. The problem is a chemical reaction between the sulfer in gasoline and the nickel used to harden the cylinder walls. Gas in some places has less sulpher, hence slower deterioration. It WILL happen eventually. Of course the up side is to find a car with say 100k miles that has the new block installed around 80k. Now you have a bargain!
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    Be careful with this car. This car is weak in several maintenance areas. Starting at around 55k miles and up to 95,000 miles, here are the things that went wrong with mine:

- dashboard illumination for the outside temperature gauge went out at 60k. $1200 to repair
    - both right and left front bushings needed replacing at 55k
    - head gasket leaked, entered cooling system at 70k. This meant the radiator and hoses ($2,200) had to be repaced. Plus the gasket.
    - some joint under the car had to be replaced ($345)
    - transmission went out at 88k. $4300 to replace

This car was maintained accorded to the service booklet since its purchase. Was very glad to get rid of it. Now very happy with an E320.
  • cjneedhamcjneedham Member Posts: 2
    Interesting discussion string. I'm very sorry for those of you who spent $30,000+ extra to buy a MB S500 AMG instead of the loaded LS430.

The exterior of the MB is bland. I agree that the LS430 has similar exterior styling. The interior of the S class MB, though, is simply ugly. Why do you need to reach to your feet to use the window switches? What's with the impossible to see and use navigation system? What's with the thin cheap rear seats in the MB, -- without standard rear seat heaters! What are those funny buttons in a circle at the top of the dash? And, I simply love the speedo, which reminds me of my parents' buick station wagon when I was growing up.

My last car was the previous version S Class Benz, a loaded S500. When I saw the new model, I could not bear to buy it. Instead, I waited for the Lexus and am quite pleased at the comfort, power(not any slower than the S500) and ease to drive. And, this time, I pocketed the extra bucks, went to Maui, then Cabo San Lucas, and then got another plasma tv, with change. Sorry, guys, the new S Class is a loser.
    I'm glad you travelled with the money you saved and bought yourself a plasma tv. ( Although I know you're more than exaggerating a bit about all you did with your savings because I do own a plasma tv and a plasma tv is every bit of 20k alone, so if you went all those other places on 10k you're either a financial genius or you need to at least practice lying so your stories would be more credible..:) I'm always amused by people who post messages that are obviously lying about what they own or what they bought. It's like this. Buy what pleases you and to heck with what other people think. And leave the boards to the real owners or those who are investigating various products to make an informed decision. And by the way it was only paper money not gold bullion and I didn't care!!! Again, whatever you drive be happy as I am with my decision.. Happy motoring..:)
  • cjneedhamcjneedham Member Posts: 2
    20k for a Plasma TV?? Try less than 10k, 42" with built-in line doubler. www.plasma-usa.com. And, you can look my villa up at the KeaLani on Maui and my villa up at the Westin Cabo San Lucas. Quite fun, actually. No lies here, -- including the vehicles.

I appreciate your inaccurate rhetoric, ejerod. Fact is, ... your smokescreen won't change the fact that my LS430 is more car than the S500 at 30k less. More room, bigger trunk, ...

And, yes, I enjoy driving my vehicle, -- very much. Smooth ride, very comfortable seats. Rock solid reliability.

The only other car that came close is the Audi A8L. Very nice too. Similar price, but just a tad too big. The 740iL is also a winner, but, with a new model coming out next year

See ya. ha ha ha.
  • cpb1701cpb1701 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a used luxury car. I only want to spend about 25K. I found a BMW740IL with 39K for around that price but after visiting this site I dot know if it is a good car. I also like the BB E320. Any advice would be welcome
  • mcargomcargo Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for your comments on the 95 740i! Does anyone know if BMW will honor the need for engine replacement given this problem? I have a 740i with 55,000 miles, and no problems yet, but has BMW agreed to fix this systematic problem free of charge--with loaner? Any other problems with 1995 740i's that I can expect? All is well except for my glove box falling open and some alarm system issues.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The S-Class is bland, what a joke. The LS430 is the absolute most boring looking car on the road it looks like a 65K Avalon. I can't believe someone said the S-Class is bland. The LS430's design is a poor, very poor imitation of the previous generation S-Class. Pitiful design, great car.

M
  • is4b2rdis4b2rd Member Posts: 66
    Well, I've been a Mercedes officianado since learning to drive in a 66 230SL. Up until the 2000 SC-lass, I think the cars have been the best engineered production vehicles in the world, and the increasing price reflected that. The previous SC-lass (W140) was unduly criticized for its size and bulk, but what an impressive vehicle. I did notice a decontening in that car from 1993 until 1999 model year, but still the car was awesome and impressive. The new SC-lass (W220) is a joke. I REALLY wanted to love the car. Yes, I think the styling is very sleek, but the interior is so cheap that it barely qualifies as a Korean car. The S600 does provide a bit more "elegance" but at a huge price. Mercedes built this car to a price point, whereas before the cars were built to the dream of the engineers. I realize that BB needs to make money and needs to sell more cars, but I would have hoped there would have been more of a compromise between price point and engineering. someone BB, hard plastic should NOT be a part of an SC-lass interior. Cover it up with soft materials for goodness sake. I am afraid that Lexus with their LS430 has increased their luxury quotient and the SC-lass has DEFINITELY lowered theirs. Very sad to see that happen, very sad indeed. If I were in the market for a sedan, the choices are the S-Class, LS430 and the NEW Jaguar XJ sedan that will be coming in a couple years. Friends, I am here to tell you, that car is going to outdo the S-Class, and priced closer to the LS430, I am afraid it will steal customers away from Lexus as well. The car is said to be a technological marvel and the body will be all aluminum and of course a more comfortable interior with those luscious Jaguar curves on the exterior. So, I would probably wait for the Jag. Barring the jag, if I could pull my head out and get over the "prestige" factor, I would choose the LS430, albeit with the full lux package.

MB can do it, they did a fine enough job on my CL500, which I do love and though the interior isn't up to the level of the previous generation coupe, it is yards ahead of the S-Class, possibly because of its full leather interior and my color choice of black, which can hide a multitude of sins in an auto interior.

Whichever car anyone chooses, it should suit their needs and desires, that's all that matters really. For me, I am just saddened to see Mercedes become just another car manufacturer. Guess that leaves Rolls-Royce, Bentley as cars to stive for as snob appeal. :-)
    That should have been SC-lass, not SC-lass. Sorry.
    Sure Mr Needham , next serious post by an adult ( not some teenage kid ) that has something relevant to say please ?
  • ravramravram Member Posts: 7
    Hello!

I am in the shopping phase for a "new" car. I'm 22, and have had 9 different used cars in the past 6 years. Right now, I have a 1999 Kia Sportage EX, and like it well enough, although the payments are too high for the car. It's a good enough car, but not something I think I can keep for 10 years, and love. My parents have always had Mercedes Benz's, and have advised me to invest in something German. I used to have an old, beat up WV, which ran GREAT, but was a little too rusty to suit a 17 year old! :-)

My question is this: I have found a 1988 BMW 750iL for sale for$10,9, with only 76,000 miles on it. Is this a deal worth looking into? (Mercedes seems more expensive for me right now. I'll hold out for a nice, used ML320 in a couple of years.)

Does anyone out there have this car, or anything to say (good or bad) regarding this car? Is maintenance super high on them? We have an old family friend who repairs MBZ's and BMW's, so I think I'll be okay there..... I hope.

Any help or information would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much!

Mona
  • barnoskibarnoski Member Posts: 1
    I have been fortunate to own several new Mercedes over the years. The last 5 have all been new I class sedans. With each car I have witnessed a slight decline in quality. My current I class is further evidence of declining quality. Whatever the reasons, Mercedes has decided to shelve quality, expecting their reputation to keep them afloat. What BB does not realize is that BB may be gaining first time buyers but they are losing existing owners. I will not purchases another B.
    I've never heard of an I Class before. And, what is BB?
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    The spell checker thinks that MB is a BB and the S class is really the I class.

Jack
  • reguyreguy Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks,
    This is my first time on. I just purchased a 1998 740i w/ 56K miles for 30K. No warranty, but appears to be in excellent cond. Unbelieveable car so far as I can tell. The ride is so much better than I even expected, however, I have never owned a "luxury" car before. A couple of questions. 1) Does anyone know of a good warranty for a reasonable price or if they are even worth purchasing? 2) A little late, but does the price I've paid seem reasonable? There is a lot of conflicting info out there. 3) Are there any common problems I should be looking for and are there ways to avoid them if they exist? Thanks.
  • bwhbwh Member Posts: 76
    Well if you could do it all over again the best way to pick up a used 7 series is under 50k miles at the dealer. This way you are eligible for BMWs extended warranty out to 100k miles. Too late for that in your case, but I would seek out a warranty for this car. They are wonderful machines but they are very expensive to repair. The car doesn't really have any real glaring faults other than its complexity. I would bet if you paid $2000 or so for a warranty out to 100k that it would easily pay for itself. I would check with the dealer to see which aftermarket warranty companies they deal with.
  • lhellerlheller Member Posts: 4
    This car is a money hungry monster. A dream to drive a nightmare to own. If spending hundreds of dollars monthly is something you enjoy then buy a 740.
  • lhellerlheller Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how to get BMW to help me with the endless problems I've had with my pre-cert. 96 740il?

Purchased Nov.99, visits the dealer monthly with new problems, currently 75k miles, they repair everything under the 100k warranty, after that I'll be shelling out 6 to 7 thousand a year in repairs.

I've put over 4 thousand miles on loaner cars, that's about 1 and half months of driving for me.
    Major disappointment.
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    As far as styling is concerned- the Jag is the best out there. The base rims are awful to look at- my '95 XJ6 had gorgeous wheels. Jaguar took a step back when they introduced the XJ8's rims.

The BMW with the M 18's is very nice on the eyes, but in this class is looking a little dated.

The Mercedes is very nice- two different schools of design between the Jag and MB, but both are extremely successful. With a sport package, the MB is hard to beat looks wise.

The Audi is again a little dated for this group. Although the S8 ups the ante.

And finally the LS430 is disgusting. Can Toyota not hire some designers with their own ideas. It is a complete rip off of the S-Class. And the old one at that! It should be illegal to massacre a great design like the MB, and slap a big L on it. Maybe it stands for LOSER!
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Quit this Benz rip off stuff...no one cares. Go drive the car, and just maybe you won't be so hung up on the looks. BMW and Jag are both dated.
  • escaladepimpescaladepimp Member Posts: 12
    can anybody describe in careful detail how the seats on a loaded MB S600 or BMW or 750 iL work (don't bother describing the crap-o seats in the Lexus LS430, they're not even multicontour)? I am very curious to see how the 16 way and 18 way seats work on these sweet cars. Do they really have power side support, power thigh support, power cushion depth, and all that?? Somebody describe those seats in detail, please...
    Thanks.
    Are you blind. How can you say that the Jaguar is dated. You do know that you are in an edmunds.com townhall room, and that in their superluxury comparison, they Jaguar scored best for, what was it, oh yeah BEST STYLING. It was unanimous. If you can really believe that a Japanese car compares to anything european, you need to shake your head. They have, and always will be, copies of American and European cars. And for your info- styling is a big part of why people buy cars. You think a women cares that the BMW has VANOS to broaden the torque band- no, she likes that it has shiny wheels and comes in aubergine.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    What I am saying is that all of these manufacturers copy each other when it's to their advantage. It just doesn't work one way, AND I stopped trying to impress women with what I drive years ago.
    I didn't say I try to impress women with my cars, my point was that when women buy their cars, they look at it's curb appeal, not at it's performance. That's why you see so many gorgeous women driving Jags- because they make a statement, and when their husbands take the drivers seat, they are rewarded with fantastic performance as well.

And I do have to admit that the Japanese have come up with some innovative gadgets in the interior. They live for the bells and whistles, so that's what they try at. But when it comes to driving dynamics and styling- they take the easy route and copy.

Sorry for the length.
    Everyone clearly knows that the Japanese are the biggest copy cats in the world. The Lexus LS430 is the most ridiculous case of it yet. Total copy, and like someone said it's a bad copy of the OLD Mercedes design. Any bets that the new ES300 (2002) will look like the new S-Class or C-Class? The LS430 is a hell of a car, and you'd probably have to buy a loaded S500 or S55 to top it, but stylewise it's completely lacking. Even I admit it's a great car and it does deserve it's own look. I would like someone to please tell me where the Europeans or Americans have ever copied the styling of a Japanese car as blatantly as Lexus and Acura copies the Euro brands.

M
    Thank you for agreeing with me! The only thing I have seen that Cadillac has copied from the Japanese has to do with the interior, and the electoluminescent lighting for the gauges. Exterior wise- Americans and Europeans have always been the innovators, and the Japanese the copyers. Sorry- I don't make the rules, it's fact.
    Wow.. this board has heated discussions..lol I'd have to say that Lexus, at least when it comes to the new LS has indeed been the follower not the leader where design and handling are concerned. The GS is another story. Although they took a hint from the Germans in the performance department, the styling of the car was purely radical and exciting. Had they done that with the new LS stying I would have bought it over the Benz S500. I'll admit that the Lexus is a great value, but I also have to agree that most people, men and women buy cars because of style and content , with style being in the top 5 of what's important to consumers.So Mercedes won this battle with the style and content, but the wars are far from over and we he consumers are the constant beneficiaries....
    I didn't think the GS was all that great looking. The front fascia is fantastic, but the back end looks out of place. It's one of those cars that looks like there were 2 different teams designing- one for the back and one for the front.

I am a diehard European fan, so I'll never like Japanese cars, even if they do someday (never) become best in class.
    QUESTION: Here's another topic for discussion- do you agree that if you want a car in this class that you can drive and have a blast in, there is no beating a 7 Series with a sport package? That is my view. I'd like to know what others think.
    The Lexus GS for the most part does have a radical look for a Lexus, but the front and rear treatments (to me) mimic the E-Class more than anything else. The Europeans will always have styling all over the Japanese, if arguably nothing else.

Arcoates

I would almost agree with you on your assessment of the BMW 7-Series with the Sport Package, but with the S55 AMG around I can't say that the 7 is the best large sporting sedan anymore. The S55 is faster and better handling, and (I know you'll like this) better looking. I just wish the 750iL or 740iL actually got the suspension tunning of the 740i, instead of just the wheel/tire package. That said the 7 is still a favorite of mine, has been since the fall of 1994. It has that Mafia, "Kingfish" look about it. Any of these cars would do for me.

M
    If only BMW made an M version of the 7 series. I think that compared to AMG, the M divison does a much better job with the cars. Maybe it's just because you can get manuals in all but the 7's, but I think they have better material to work with from the beginning.
  • stevemarvelstevemarvel Member Posts: 1
    Ditto, guys to the messages expressed earlier regarding BMW 740i. Yes they are incredible Automobiles to drive, but be prepared, YA GOTTA PAY TO PLAY. I have probably spent over 4K the last two years on my 94. Stick a fork in me - I AM DONE.
    My dad has an '88 735i, with the 3.5L I6, and get ready-a stick shift. Extremely rare- frankly that's why he keeps it around. That was the last year they made a 7 with a manual. Anyway- it still runs and looks great (like a '94 even), and he hasn't spent too much on it to keep it in top condition. Mostly on repairs when my mom smacks it up!
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Better looking and faster than anything but an M5. How can you not love 370HP and almost 400 foot/lbs of torque. Not to mention optional BBS 2 piece alloy wheels and brembo brakes.

Bang for the buck in a large lux car. will be the 2002 Q45. 340HP 0-60 in 5.9, faster than everything but an XJR or S55, and styling that is at least not derivative of anything else, all for under 55 grand.
  • saaycocksaaycock Member Posts: 5
    Pondering buying a 98 or 99 Jag sedan - anyone actually owned on and can give me their experience on ride-powrer -handling-problems/maintenance...Thanks!
    This may be of some use to you- I'll throw it out there anyway. We had a 1995 XJ6 until September. Not the same engine, but bodywork, electronics, chassis etc...

Interior was gorgeous- no problems there. The I6 was a gem, as is the V8. The handling, although not a BMW, is very competent- when you push it, you are surprised at how it reacts. The tires on ours were very grippy (225 Pirelli P6000 with 16'), and the handling was very confidence inspiring.

In our experience, it is not a winter car at all. When we got rid of it, there were mutliple rust spots- not huge, but still there. We didn;t have the traction control, and there was no limited-slip diff, so it was hard to get it going in the snow, or even the rain!

If you're willing to have a winter car, or live in the sun, it is a great car. Beautiful, fast, great handling. The electronics acted up once in awhile, but it is a british car after all. I would reccomend it. If you're having passengers though, go for the long-wheelbase- the back is extrememly tight. Other than that- get one!

I hope this helps you.

A.R.
  • auraraptorauraraptor Member Posts: 1
    am 16 and got a 98 bmw 750il, is it reliable? am hearin some bad stories. need to know specifically about the 98 model(earlier and later dont count) :(

I bought it cuz its not a copy(lexus), im too tall(jag), and i dont wanna show off (MB), my fellow students dont know what it is, and its better than a MB(my oppionin), it 'looks' longer than the new MB S(who i think they look like a elongated lincon ls w/ different front) so i chose a BMW.
    Well I do agree that the Japanese are great imitatiors, but what I do love about my GS is that from a distance, love it or hate it, you know what it is. The LS430 is NOT like that. From the front you know what it is, from the rear at a distance it a cross between the Avalon and the 99 S class Benz. That's what turned me off. Another thing I have to speak of is vehicular content. I don't mean just bells and whistles I mean solidity, rigidity and plain old substance. Close he door on the LS430 then close the door of the S Class. I did this.. with the vehicles side by side, there is a difference and I don't mean a subtle one. Then close the trunk, Hood etc... big difference..
    With the "M" brand/image so strong now. I think we will get a M version of the next 7-Series. Yes M cars are sportier in part because of their manual trans, they handle a smidge better too, it's very close though. Two publications actually liked the E55's handling over the M5's, which was a surprise to me too. One thing is for certain the Japanese don't have a single car at this level.

M
    Now, the question is, if they did make an M7, what engine would they enhance? The V12, or the V8? Edmunds has this review on the new X5 4.6is, and there is a sidenote regarding the X5 Le Mans addition with a 700bhp V12- wouldn't that look nice in the bonnet of the new 7's!

With the new S55, BMW will have to turn out something that can compete- they are not going to lose money, even though it is a small market.

A.R.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    limited edition 400HP AWD Q45 coming in the fall.
  • jarmstrong2jarmstrong2 Member Posts: 38
    I am going to buy a Jag either 98 or 99 XJ8 or VDP.I have some questions for all you Jag people.
    If I buy a high mileage Jag VDP do you see any problems later with the high mileage? You can save mucho $$$ when buying a 98 XJ8 at 50k mileage than one at 20K mileage. Should I buy the 100K warranty? How is the realiability for a higher mileage Jag XJ8 opr VDP? It is rated very high on realiability at every site I have read but would like to hear for owners. Any problems?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Ejerod - What are you talking about? The LS430 doors sound like bank vaults when you close them. Stop trying to convince yourself that you bought the right car. The S-500 is a great car but the LS430 is in its league at $18-$25k less and to many including myself it's a better car. As for copycats I'll bet in near future the S-Class interior is significantly upgraded to match Lexus which simply blows it away today. And if it wasn't for the Lexus competition MB would still be giving its customers the vinyl like leather it had in its cars 10 years ago and the ride quality would never been improved. The truth of the matter is that these two cars are so close that it really comes down to whether you want the LS430's glorious ride and better then average handling or the S-Class' glorious handling but harder ride. After that it's that gorgeous interior of Lexus and far superior reliability vs. MB's stature and "heritage". However heritage doesn't influence me. Last time I looked Microsoft and Intel, despite serious drops in share price still had a higher market cap than IBM with all its heritage.

Be greatful these companies are in competition with each other as we the customers, regardless of our preferences, get better cars and have more choices.
    Well knowing BMW I would say that they would go for a hi-po V12 in a car like an "M7". That way the have all engines covered. The baddest in-line-six (M3), V8 (M5) and V12 (M7). Of course such a motor would at least have to have 400hp to out-do the M5's engine. I think their is a real chance because they aren't going to let the S55 go unanswered. But then again the next 750iL is supposed to have at least 400hp, so a "Sport" version of that car will take on the S55.

M
    That vinyl like leather you speak of was that way for durability. Look at any older Mercedes and you'll see why. It was still real leather nevertheless. The thing I keep hearing from Lexus people is how they changed everything. Cars, Mercedes included ride better with each re-do, that's called progress. A Mercedes in particular always had a good ride/handling tradeoff, Lexus had nothing to do with the ride of a Mercedes. If Mercedes was chasing Lexus' ride they would have the same lifeless handling too. My biggest problem with Lexus is the constant copying, it's ridiculous, and on top of that they copy an "old" Mercedes' look. Silly.

M
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    just did a comparo between the BMW 7-series, LS430, Mercedes S and Jaguar Vanden Plas. They were rated in that same order (BMW came in first, Lexus second, etc.). I meant to bring in the magazine today so I could post their conluding comments, but it's raining cats and dogs here, so I felt lucky just to get to my car without getting soaked! Maybe tomorrow....