Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    You've opened a can of worms there - brace yourself for the litany of complaints/problems and general misery.
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    Chill, Solarans! :)

IMHO, Cats10 should check every post made by WebG and Canc. It's only fair that a decision be made with all of the pertinent info available...

However, Cats10 should keep in mind that reading about the riding/ownership experience is nothing like the real thing. Cats10, you sure you don't know anyone who owns a Solara? If not, take a long test drive in a new one. Also, since you're getting a used car, may I ask what the other cars U are on your 'counter-shopping' list?

Finally, Cats10 should check out this entire 3 yr-old forum. He'll note that peeps like me and Ral also have valid opinions of their cars that don't match up with other opiners.

g'luck!
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    You'll see that my recent posts have dealt with chugging. Yeah, I have it, but I wouldn't go so far as to not recommend the Solara. It should definitely be a car to consider, as it is quieter, roomier, and more comfortable than most cars in its segment.

My chugging issue would be comparable to a dashboard squeak; annoying as heck, but confident they'll find it out soon enough and fix it. It's not like it's leaking oil or the pistons are slapping. Go try one out!
  • webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    In all fairness to everyone, I won't do this to the board. I have been in the Solara threads for about 2 1/2 years, soooooooo! If you are really interested, hit me back at webguyster@aol.com
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    cats-10 - My '99 SLE, pearl white, loaded with everything, has been essentially flawless from the day I drove it home. Only the alarm system had to be fooled with.

The sticker was about $27K. If you're considering a used one, I might consider an offer - I guarantee that you won't find a better one. My ONLY problem with it is that I now find that I really need 4 doors.

I think that this is a GREAT car, and so do 99% of all Solara owners. It drives just like the Lexus I traded in for it, and cost a lot less.

ALL cars have some problem ones, and the ones with problems show up in the forums. Toyota has one of the best reputations in the auto industry, and deservedly so.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    automophile-

I was going to tell him about your car. With that beauty, all he has to do is get in, start it up and off he goes. NOTHING to do that that white beauty. SHOW HIM THE PICS!!

A picture is worth a thousand words!

fastdriver
    How do you know sooo much about automophiles car?
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    We are both Zaino polish fanatics, and have been trading pics of our gorgeous cars for years!

Besides, he is really, really smart!
    webguyster-

Do I HAVE to give away all my secrets? Let's just say that if YOU had automophile's car, you'd be thrilled with Toyota! ;-))

I think you have the worst Toyota they EVER built. Is there anything that does work right? Your Solara sounds like my former "award-winning" Chrysler 300M- Christine!! I didn't think there could ever be a Toyota Christine! ;-))

fastdriver
    Yeah, I'd be thrilled! Someone must have ginen it to him for him to be thrilled! :)

I think your right, I must have the WORST Toyota ever built! Maybe I should see your great car! At least I have not taken time to post a web page about my mistake, like some posters! ;)
  • strawbsstrawbs Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone else noticed that the 2003 Solara is now listed under the "New Cars" section here on Edmunds? It looks exactly like the 2002, and has the same horsepower as the '02 (at least the 4 cyl does).

Anybody know if the '03 is actually available at dealerships already?
  • serenesurfserenesurf Member Posts: 4
    The 03 Solara is the exact same as the 02 Solara, even the prices are the same. They should be on dealerships, effective last week or so. The reason there are no changes is because the 04 Solara will be on dealerships this coming spring as a completely redesigned model.
    webguyster-

You should make a webpage about your Solara if you're that unhappy and Toyota has done nothing or little to nothing to help you. Just go to YAHOO, Geocities and start there. It's easy to do. I did it as you well know. I will NEVER let anyone forget the experience I had with my 300M AND those "award-winning 5-STAR" dealers and their factory reps! They were the WORST I have EVER dealt with in my entire life of buying new cars!

fastdriver
    Thanks for the info. I have an '02 SE 4cyl, so I'm not in the market right now. But I was wondering why the '03 was out already. I think last year when I got mine in late Sept., the '02 hadn't been out for very long.

I will be watching to see what the '04 model looks like. I happen to like it just the way it is, but it will be interesting to see what they do to it.
  • serenesurfserenesurf Member Posts: 4
    I love the current model, but it's hubbys turn for the vehicle, so I have to wait until spring/summer 03 for my Solara which is just when they will be changing the models. I don't know which one we'll go with. They are supposed to be be making the 04 Solara "more aggressive" whatever that means. If they change it too much, we'll be looking for an 03 SLE V6 instead of the new 04 model. We'll have to see!
    Sounds like a winner either way.
    Who is "They" are supposed to make it more aggressive? Toyota, or the design place? Where did you get the info?
    I brought my car to the garage yesterday to have it checked for the chugging again. They thoroughly tested the car, and found that my main ECM had a defect, hence why the car chugged because the computer didn't send the right signals at the right time. It doesn't seem to be anything mechanical after all, which is good. I'll have my car back either tomorrow or Friday, so I'll check it out and hopefully say that this is solved. This is after all such a fantastic car that I was cringing at the possibility of looking for another one.
  • ed_scott0013ed_scott0013 Member Posts: 64
    Glad to hear it :) I wonder if this is a one time thing, or if affects a certain range of Solaras... Maybe a bad batch of ECMs?
    My service rep. didn't specify, although he said there were no reports in their database about similar problems, so I'm guessing this is a one time thing. One question though, when they say they'll replace the main ECM, does that include the ECM that tells the transmission when to shift?
  • bezaharbezahar Member Posts: 20
    Just thought I'd bring this up, thought I'd seen someone else mention it a little while ago. About a week ago when it got really hot outside 100+ the driver's side window would not go down. Took about 3 minutes or so of driving with the AC on before the window finally decided to go down. The passenger’s window and sunroof worked fine just the driver's side that wouldn't work.

Well that's about the only problem I've had with the car so far.

2000 Red SE-V6-5speed 38.5k miles, averaging about 26 mpg on premium.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..........2000 SE V6 5-speed.........driver's side window switch failed (replaced under warr.)..Toyota will probably make good on it (it ain't nothing new, right?).........ez
    I really have no idea, but I would expect that since unit to be completely replaced, the tranny ECM would be included (providing that the ECM is one device that controls everything). As I said before, though, I don't really know for sure.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the main ECM is one device that controls everything. Thanks for the input.

P.S. Where are you in Canada?
    No prob... :)

I'm in Kanata, Ontario (near Ottawa). But I'll be moving out to Kingston (university-land for me this fall...) in September.
    I'm in Ottawa! Best of luck at Queen's...
    Cool... :) Thanks... :)
  • alexhhoalexhho Member Posts: 5
    I have a 00 V6 Solara, and don't want to mess around with stock items. I'm just wondering if by adding a front strut brace or a rear sway bar or both would increase the car's handling significantly? And does it matter what brands of bars? Any recommendations and where to get the parts? Thank you for your time.

Alex
    alexhho@yahoo.com
  • bwiebebwiebe Member Posts: 27
    Brought my 2000 SLE in for them to have a look at my chugging problem. Dealer advised that it was because I had my Traction Control on and the computer was sending the car wrong directions as it had too many things to think about (traction, ABS, etc!!!!!! Suggested I keep the Trac Control off unless its icy on the roads. Now I'm no mechanic but this seems like a load of crap, pardon my french. Can you tell me what the ECM is and what it does. I would appreciate it if you could report back in when you have had a chance to see if that works. I plan on writing Toyota with my dealers explanation and see what they say. I've had the Trac on since I bought the car, almost 2 years ago and the problem was non-existant for the 1st year and it has been getting steadily more persistant in the 2nd year. Nowhere in the instrucion manual does it suggest to leave the switch off unless its icy. Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    I don't have trac control on my car and it does that. I think they're just trying to think of an logical explanation for your problem, but can't put their finger on it. Anyway, I don't go for that kind of answer--like the ECM has "too many things to do at the same time"!!! LOL! The ECM isn't a human brain, and can process many many different instructions simultaneously.

I'm no mechanic either, but from what I gather the ECM is the car's "computer". Everything from ABS brakes to sensors to traction control has to do with the main ECM (Electronic Control Module). My dealer explained that they believe the ECM is sometimes sending the wrong signals to the transmission solenoid and that's what makes it "chug".

I'll definitely give you an update on this whole thing when I bring it to the dealer sometime next week.
    bwiebe-

I'm no mechanic either, but I think your observation is correct- it's a bunch of crap! The traction control SHOULD be on all the time! Sounds like something an "award-winning Chrysler 5-STAR" dealer might say! LOL......

cliffy1- where are you?? Any suggestions?
    fastdriver
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I agree, its garbage. I don't know enough about an ECM to comment on its functions, but I know the TRAC system should have no effect on other vehicle functions.
    cliffy1-

Thanks. Maybe I should trade in my CL-S and buy a Toyota? ;-)) At least I know I can get honest answers here even if we don't agree on those customer surveys! ;-)) BTW- 17 months old, 18,000+ miles and not ONE problem with the Acura. Just like MOST Toyotas. VERY reliable and not the "perceived" reliability that someone in the Chrysler 300M group threw in my face one day. Guess I rubbed him the wrong way or hit him on a day when he had made one too many trips to his "award-winning 5-STAR" dealer and got no results! LOL................

FWIW- also have a 94 Corolla, 39,000+ miles, outside 24/7, no rust, only replaced tires and battery last year. Except for oil/filter and other fluids, everything else is original- brakes, spark plugs, wires!! Great car.

fastdriver
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    are just rumors.

While it is true, we should expect the new Solara in 2004 (based on the 5-year cycle) and moving to the new platform (along with the Avalon, RX300, & Sienna when they get redesigned also, as only the Highlander and Camry are on the updated platform, which the Highlander got before the Camry).
  • mongoose12mongoose12 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. My wife currently drives a 1997 Camry V6 XLE that we bought 2 years ago, and so far it's been a great car. I drive a 1983 Celica GT with 253,000 miles on it and I can't seem to kill this vehicle no matter how much I abuse it. My family has owned several Toyotas as well and I'm sold on their superior build quality and reliability.

Although I still love my Celica, it is starting to get long in the tooth and I'm only really considering 2 cars as a replacement. An older Lexus SC400 or SC300 or the Solara. These really seem to be the only two upscale sport coupes Toyota/Lexus have had out in the last 10 years. I just would like to believe that Toyota is not letting their quality slip in the cars built here in North America (Solara).

I'm torn on whether to buy a 1992-1995 Lexus SC ($10-$15k) or a newer Solara V6 99-00 ($15-$18k). From what I've read and researched, they are both great cars, at least mechanically speaking. Today I found a 1999 Solara V6 SLE with every option available, it only has 10,000 miles and the dealer is asking $17,988 (before negotiation) and this sounds like a pretty good deal for what is practically a new car.

Or I can spend around $11k and get a '93 Lexus SC300 with 67,000 miles on it in great shape. I guess it matters if that Lexus badge is important to me.

I remember the Toyota dealer once telling me that the Solara is basically like a Lexus sports coupe without the price tag. I was just wondering if anyone in here has ever compared these two similar vehicles.

Thanks in advance for any input.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The SC300 has an inline 6 cylinder and is a rear wheel drive car. The Solara is a V6 and is front wheel drive. I personally, prefer the SC but am unsure about paying that much money for something that old.
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    the SC300/400. Lexus builds a very fine car, but when you need repairs you will wish you had the Solara. The engines last a very long time, but things like the exhaust ($1,500), electrical system, A/C, power steering pump, auto-dim mirror, etc. are very expensive to replace.
    mongoose12 -

automophile has a car for you!! Ever hear of someone buying a house SO CLEAN and perfect that all you had to do is bring your clothes and move in! Well, automophile's white Solara is JUST like that. He's not available right now, but might be checking into this group. I can tell you that he owned a Lexus ES 300 before the Solara and thinks the Solara is better in many respects.

I'm sure he'll be in touch when he sees this discussion. Wait a few more days before you make any decisions.

My aunt has a 99 SLE V6(sand beige color) with ALL the options- spolier, traction control, anti-lock brakes, side airbags I think- except the moonroof. It only has 15,000 miles. She wants to buy a Camry because the doors are too big for her on the Solara when she gets out in the garage. She's about 85 years old and wants something easier to get in and out of. ;-)))

fastdriver
    If you do, Solara

If you don't, SC300/400
  • mongoose12mongoose12 Member Posts: 2
    Loucopits, are you referring to what it costs for Lexus to do the work, or is everyone that expensive? I know that Toyota/Lexus dealers are very expensive for repairs in general. The reason I ask is the mechanic I use is a former Toyota mechanic and he seems to always do the work for less than half what the dealer would charge. $1500 for an exhaust system does sound quite expensive.

I drove the 6 cylinder Solara today, and I have a question. Do Solara's naturally have a much stiffer ride than the Camry's and/or a Lexus? I am used to my Camry and compared to it and the 2 Lexus I drove today it seemed like I could really feel the bumps in the road a lot more in the Solara. Maybe this car had the sport tuned suspension, which I believe is an option on the Solara?
    the "sport-tuned" suspension is standard on the Solara, which also includes a front strut tower brace...little tweaks in the suspension, and quicker steering ratio.
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    the Lexus dealership. Even using a shade tree mechanic, the parts will have to come from Lexus unless you use a junkyard. If you want an SC, I'd buy from a Lexus dealer and form a strong bond with the service manager, hoping for some repairs to be done as "goodwill".
    Price out an inside autodim mirror, a burned out bulb on the climate control, a dual exhaust replacement, A/C compressor and then make your decision. The few things I have had done to a Camry and an Avalon were quite reasonable, but I did not get a free loaner, free car wash, free coffee, nice waiting area, etc.
    How about a used Celica?
    This is something that I've always wanted to ask, so here goes. What exactly is a steering ratio? What do those numbers mean? And the same goes for the automatic transmission ratio. I've tried looking for this on the internet but can't find anything.

Thanks!
    the ratio is in terms of gear ratio.

For steering...number of turns of the steering wheel to go 1 full revolution of the pinion on the rack.

Transmission, gear ratios, essentially # revolutions of the gear (and engine) to a full rev of the drivewheels.

I may have things switched....
    Canc-

I'll ask a dumb question for sure- WHO would care what they are or what they mean unless maybe you race?

fastdriver
    True, this may not be info to be considered during a car purchase unless you intend to race. I never paid much attention to it, but thought I should!
    Isn't the Lexus exhaust "stainless" like the Solara's, using 2 of the same mufflers, different pipe??? If it is, it will be very expensive, cuz my "stainless" exhaust, model year 2000, was blown at 25,000 miles, lucky for me under warrenty still. Yet another reason to not recommend the Solara, IMO!

I would try Midas, before spending that much money on any muffler/pipe! If the quality is seemingly questionable on the Lexus, imagine the planned obsolescense of the Toyota parts!
  • sureshot616sureshot616 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2001 SLE. Just some minor problems so far. The performance has been subpar, but I still love the way it looks. Anyways, I am about to seal a hole in my tire, but I remember from discussions in the past in which some posters stated that changing the tires signficantly alleviate the pulling problem. Any suggestions?
  • dnbgm4mednbgm4me Member Posts: 4
    To Any&All Solara Owners,
    I have 99 Olds Alero that is a piece of crap. Numerous quality problem within the past 2-3 months. So, I'm getting rid of this car and thinking of buying a Solara.

Question: When I test drive a Solara, what kinds of things should I be looking for? If 99 is the inital year model, should I look at 2000's? After reviewing the Solara postings, it doesn't look like there are alot of problems with them.

If you had a choice between a Honda Accord or a Solara, which would you choose?

Thanks for the input(s). I think this Edmunds.com forum is the best for car enthusiasts, information, etc..

Has anybody out there from Calif. used the states "secret" warranty law? If so, how did you make out?