Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• claydjclaydj Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know how/if to adjust the dash lights brightness. I have looked through the owners manual and just kind find it. Thanks.
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    It's adjusted by turning those 2 knobs on the instrument panel ( forgot which one, try both ).
  • ebnkebnk Member Posts: 8
    I received my factory ordered A4 last week and already have over 500 miles on it! It's gorgeous, and the stairs I receive and the comments I get are unbelievable. It's actually a 2001.5 Quattro w/Sport Pkg - man, those 17" wheels are beautiful - especially with the Laser Red/Onyx combo. My question is this...Has anyone had trouble figuring out the pivot point on that clutch. It seems that there is so much travel between engagement and disengagement. I dread those stops on hills and when I go hard through the gears there are times when the transmission won't upshift or downshift. Aside from that, I love the car. Are those adjustable items on the Audi? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to get snow tires for the 17" wheels?
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Clay-- Billy's right, it's the knob on the right, under the speedometer pod... turn counter-clockwise to dim, clockwise to brighten.

Eben-- Congratulations! 500 miles in a week? *thumbs up* :-p Here is what I wrote on post #1446 and Dennis, Mark and Mike had similar opinions expressed in later posts: ..."regarding the "high clutch" issue: yup, VW/Audis have always had clutches with high engagement points. I remember asking the dealer to adjust the clutch so it would engage lower on my Scirocco when it was new but they advised against it... something about it being the way the VW engineers designed it and if they adjusted it so that it wouldn't be within the factory tolerances/specifications, it could void the warranty if I should have clutch problems later on. So when I got the A4, I didn't even bother asking about it. It is really difficult for me to adjust to the high engagement point because my last few cars have been Japanese. Toyotas are known for the super smooth clutches and the 4Runner I owned had a clutch engagement that was as smooth as butter--I've never driven a vehicle that has such a silky smooth clutch. On my A4, I just can't get it to engage, starting from a stop, as smoothly as I could on my previous cars. It's not quite a "chatter" but it just doesn't engage in first gear with the smoothness that I'd like. Maybe after I drive it a few more thousand miles, I'll get a better "feel" for it, lol (Billy, I finally broke the 1,000 mile barrier! yay!) Keep in mind that I'm a long time manual transmission user and I still can't quite adjust to this Audi clutch! *argh!*"

As for snow tires for 17" rims, the choices are few, very few. More choices with 16" and even more with 15" ...read what Joel said a few posts ago: JBaumgart Jul 23, 2001 2:38pm and what I said a few posts later: "Joel-- I agree completely with taller and narrower being better in snow. But I have a friend with an S4 and one with an A4 Sport pkg and both went with 16's for snows. Neither considered 15's (wouldn't even fit on an S4) and 16's were a good compromise (coming from 17's) for the profile was higher and the tread width slightly narrower than their standard tires. Since both vehicles have slightly lower suspensions, 15's would've looked ridiculous and the 16's offered both decent looks and better over-all performance/handling on dry pavement over the 15's. In a place like MN where snow is on the ground for most of the winter, then yes, I guess 15's would be a better choice. For me with my non-sport set-up (*waaah*), I'm obviously going to get 15's for snow change-overs (if I do it at all) and eventually upgrade to 16's for everyday use." At any rate, you'd be far better off buying a combo, dedicated tire and wheel for winter, so you could do the winter change-over yourself ...plus, you'd have less of a chance damaging those beautiful 17" sport rims in the winter conditions --just my $0.02.

--'rocco
  • zoltan1zoltan1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,

This is my first post here, but I've read the last 4-5 weeks' messages. I'm considering to upgrade from the Jetta (I also have a Firebird) to an Audi, and would like to have some advice from you, guys. I have the following offers from various dealers (Baltimore area):

1) 1999 A4 2.8Q, 21,000 miles, $25000 plus one year free extended warranty (not BTB)
    2) 2001 A4 1.8T FWD, new, $24,000 (leatherette, celebration package)
    3) 2001 A4 1.8T Q, new, $750 above invoice

I'm leaning toward the first choice (one owner, in Boston, clean, w/ leather heated seats; they are offering $2000 more for my current car then any other place have) but then I have to buy an extended warranty for about $2000. Also, the first one is an unusual color, slate, which is not even on the list of available colors at any year. What would you guys do, and why? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! How about the color, did anyone ever hear of A4s in slate? I'm also thinking if I should get the Q at all, since we don't usually get much snow or ice here.
    Thanks,

Zoltan
  • keninplacitaskeninplacitas Member Posts: 120
    Hello There Zoltan,

If you drive a quatro long enough, you grow to appreciate it for all kinds of reasons. Rain, gravel, mud, large puddles, snow (light snow is often harder to drive in than deep snow)and just normal road holding ability are just some of the reasons. Resale value is another factor to consider (everybody wants a Quatro).

If it were me making that decision, I would go for the newest Quatro. They've made some nice improvements over the past few years. For instance, compare the look of the gauges at night on the '99 with the '01.

Nuf said. Good luck in your decision.
  • jerrydogjerrydog Member Posts: 6
    Go for the new one. Just did the same a week ago. Searched for used one and found out that just buying a new one was best. Must get the quattro, for 750 above invoice it's a steal. The cars don't depreciate fast enough to justify buying a used one in my view.
  • nitpickernitpicker Member Posts: 89
    Make that three votes for the 2001Q.

In the 2001 MY, you get an extra 20 hp. And Quattro really enhances handling, even in everyday driving.

Just my $.02....
    Anybody know if there's a way that the in-dash mpg calculator can be corrected? I've driven my new 1.8T only about 500 miles, but after two fill-ups I've noticed that the mileage calculator significantly overstates the mileage I'm getting. For example, at the first fill-up, the calculator told me I was getting an average of 31.2 mpg; actual was 26.6. :) At the second fill-up the calculator said the mileage was averaging 22.8; actual was 16.2. :( Slight miscalculations wouldn't surprise or annoy me, but these readings seem too far out of whack.

Some other impressions in the first 500 miles:

Good stuff -- solid construction/no rattles or squeaks; precise handling; comfortable, supportive sport seats; Tiptronic. After many years of driving a stick, I wasn't sure how I'd like the Tip. Although it's not as fun as a manual, it's far more fun and more responsive than a standard automatic; it's a nice compromise for anybody who likes driving a stick but who needs or wants an auto tranny for whatever reason.

Disappointments -- head rests (front and back) feel like they jut out a tad too far; arm rest is too far back when I get the driver's seat positioned where I need it (which is pretty far forward); stock headlights are pretty anemic (wish I'd gotten Xenons), although the high beams are impressive.

Despite the little disappointments, I'm still so glad I got this car. Can't remember ever before just driving around and SMILING.
    Zoltan, I would pick the 2001 Q too, based on the exact reasons the other 3 folks gave. Quattro is a symbol of Audi, and it's one of the big reasons why I picked it over the BMW (its AWD system is different than Audi's). And yup, like Karen said, you got 20 more hp and variable timing on the valves in the 2001 model. Plus you will have 4yr-50k on both maintenance and BTB warranty, vs 3yr-50k on pre 2001 models.

Karen, the mileage calculator is not accurate during the break-in period, due to the fact that the engine is still breaking in and the engine parts are still working together to find the best fit. I can tell ya that right now at 6500 miles, the mileage calculator is far more accurate than when it was at 500 miles. About that headrest, you can push it back in additional to raising or lowering it. I agree with the headlights.....should have gotten the Xenons but as I said, I picked my car from the dealer's lot to save on waiting time and $$ (dealer won't cut me a great deal if I order). Oh well, gotta buy those aftermarket Xenon system I guess.

I guess my complaint is that you can't turn the A/C on when the temperature is not that warm. This feature will come in handy this past week as it's humid but temp stays around 75. Wanna take the moisture out, but don't wanna drive at a temp of 68 (when the computer finally thinks it's a good temp to turn the A/C on).

Other than that, enjoying every single problem free mile after 6500 miles.

Billy
    Zoltan-- Welcome! ...and make that *5* votes!

Karen-- I'm more surprised that you got 26.6 mpg on your first fill-up and only 16.2 on your second. Oh wait, I guess that's about an average of 21.4. Yah, I don't know if what Billy said has anything to do with the accuracy of the calculation of the trip computer itself but definitely has an influence on the actual mpg. I've just been doing an eye-ball calculation on the few fill-ups that I've done so far but now you've got me curious. I'll have to calculate it accurately on my next fill-up to see exactly what mpg I'm getting and how it compares with the trip computer. Ummmm, wanna trade your sport seats for my Xenons??? lol, although I'm not as disappointed with the Xenons as I was when I first got the car, they're still not as bright or as impressive as as those on a Bimmer or MB or TL. btw, the Forester has just arrived at the dealer and they told me that I could pick it up next week but now I'm sort of having second thoughts again... I should just be getting a small used pick-up --*shakes head* two new cars in the same year doesn't make too much sense.

Billy-- Can't you just put the climate control in the "cool" mode? ...I know that I've done that several times when I want to have more/faster cooling than the automatic setting allows. I then adjust the fan speed manually. I haven't played around with mine that much yet but it sure seems that you should be able to have the a/c running at any time, no matter what the outside temperature may be.

--'rocco
  • uafly1uafly1 Member Posts: 25
    I trying to buy a A4 1.8t and I can't make up my mind, between the Front Trac and the Quattro. Price for the Ft is about $27,000 and for the Q is $29,000. They are asking about $25,500 for the FT, and I have asked yet about the Q, I am trading my current car and I am going to be negative so I am looking for save as much money as possible. Any suggestions?
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Personally, I would ALWAYS get Quattro. It does slow you down a little bit, but more than makes up for it with great handling in any condition, and much better resale. That said, if you're in Florida, or Arizona, etc. (somewhere it never snows or freezes), the FT will probably be fine. But you don't need snow to get the benefits of Quattro (it's great in rain, too).
    Thanks for the information. The dealer is going to see what I can we can work out, but I should ha ve a deal!
    Either way, I plan on purchasing a A4
    Scirocco, you mean you put it to the lowest temperature possible and then turn the fan speed down?? Well I suppose that will work.....but you know what i mean.....in most cars that have automatic climate control, you can turn on/off the A/C.....on the A4 you can only turn it off but can't actively turn on the A/C at any temp.....see what I mean.....oh well.

Hehe 2 new cars in a year.....you lucky sonofa.
    Thanks for the information. The dealer is going to see what I can we can work out, but I should ha ve a deal!
    Either way, I plan on purchasing a A4
  • claydjclaydj Member Posts: 9
    Yes The 1.8T Q - I would suggest the Sport Package as well.

My previous car was a WV GTI VR6- Not sure what engine your Jetta has, but I love the VR6. It has taken a little getting used to - the 1.8T, which makes the car feel under powered at times. At this stage, I am still a bigger fan of the 6 cyl compared to the 4w/T. But what you gain with quattro truly makes up for any power compromise. I like the Q for general beasting and fast turns - it really is unbelievable.

Let us know what you do.
    Rocco, tell you what: I'll keep the sport seats, you send me your Xenons, and one of us will be deliriously happy! :)

By the way, I think you'll like the Forester. You'll have to keep us posted ... let us know how much you're driving the Forester vs. how much you're driving the A4. Also, weren't you considering also getting a Japanese car? What were you considering?
    I've NEVER thought of my A4 1.8T as underpowered. One of the things I love about the car is the ability to drive hilly country without having to down shift to maintain speed and torque. Also, passing on two lane roads is quick and easy at any speed and at any elevation. There are more powerful cars out there, but, for me, there's no longer the need for that extra 'thrill', the desire to be a kid with a hotrod again. Clay, Is there possibly a problem with your particular engine?

My Average MPG indicator holds a pretty constant 28.4 MPG in overall driving at this elevation. That's matched pretty closely to my actual gas use calculations. Remember, there are two MPG selections, there's the MPG for the current situation, and there's average MPG. I've never had an average MPG of less than 23 or 24. I guess I'd see maybe 16.5 if I reset the average MPG just before driving the road up to Sandia Crest and then reading it again at the summit.

Speaking of that very winding highway up to the Crest, That is the one road where I make significant use of the gearbox and appreciate the Quatro and Sport Package to the max. It takes that road as if the car was on rails (Okay, so I do sometimes like to revert back to the 'kid' in me).

I had over 10,000 miles on my car before discovering that the headrests tilt forward or back. That discovery turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Much more comfortable to drive now.

As far as Xenon's are concerned, they're great for the driver who has them, but not so great for the driver approaching from the opposite direction. I don't have them but I wish my present ones weren't quite so courteous to the oncoming driver. It's as if they had a shade over the top of them. You see well directly in front of you, but not so well farther ahead unless you're using high beams.

Sorry to be so verbal here; just got carried away I guess. Sure do love this car though.
  • zoltan1zoltan1 Member Posts: 2
    Wow, you are a great group of people on this board! I really appreciate your opinion and that made up my mind: if I decide to go with the Audi, I'll get the new 1.8t Q. The dealer that was going to sell me the non-Q 1.8t just called, so we had a chat and I told him that I'm not gonna buy the non-Q. He says that he is about to receive two new 1.8t Qs next week, one silver, one black, both with Celebration package and Sport package, and the black one with heated seats as well. He wants $1000 above invoice, which is $26969 for the one with the heated seats (no extra charge for paint on this one). I told him about the other dealer's offer at $750 above, and he is willing to beat that offer if I buy the car by the close of business on Tuesday.
    Claydj!! Thanks for your input, too! I had a '95 2.0 Jetta, not much power there. I also test drove a '00 Jetta GLS VR6 this morning and I really liked it! This car has 17,000 miles on it and sells at $17,900. I kinda agree with you that the 1.8T feels somewhat under powered, but it will probably still handle 99% of all traffic situations well enough. Also, I currently drive a Firebird Formula, so I guess I'm kinda spoiled power-wise. However, I agree with keninplacitas on that the need for this kind of thrill is probably gone, so I'd appreciate the luxury and power of an Audi more than a sportscar. The Jetta payments would put less strain on my vallet though, so I'll have to think about this really hard during the weekend.
    The Jetta TownHall board is, however, full of complaints about the '00 Jettas, all kinds of trouble seem to appear in these cars. This is going to be one very hard decision.

Zoltan
    Zoltan-- Yep, Jettas just had problems that were too numerous for me to even consider. Some say that because they are assembled in Mexico the tolerances and attention to detail in assembly suffer but I don't quite buy that argument ...I have to believe that the problem lies deeper than that. The VR6 is one sweet engine but is IMO just "too much" for the Jetta ...and the VR6 doesn't rank as high in the the reliability ratings as the 1.8t. You've probably read about my "love affair" with the 1.8t and what Wards says about it so I won't go into that again, lol! Sounds like you can get a pretty good deal on that Quattro; I'd go for it! Good luck!

flo-- So how come you decided against the 325Ci and decided to go with an A4? Value wise, it's the right decision! *thumbs up* Although I'd rather have a Bimmer, I just couldn't pass up the VALUE that the A4 represents. Let us know how it progresses.

Billy-- Yeah, I know! I just took a quick look at the owner's manual before I had to run for an appointment and it did say something about manually turning on and off the a/c but I didn't quite understand what it was saying. I'll read it later and see if I can make more sense of it... something about "briefly" hitting the on/off button.

Karen-- lol@one of us will be deliriously happy! ...and it sounds like it won't be me :( Yeah, I don't know why projector headlamps give the impression of not throwing out their beam far enough. As I've said in the past: give me a good multi-reflector halogen! Oh, and Forester = Japanese ...maybe I confused you by calling it a "car." Keep posting your impressions please! :)

Ken-- You don't have to apologize about being *so verbal* --most of us can never get tired of reading about what others think when it comes to talking about cars! ...I'm sure you've read some of my posts here, lol! :p

--'rocco
    Ken, in both cases the mpg figures I cited were for average mpg, not just the "current situation." I was surprised at the difference, considering that both figures were for combination city/highway driving. The only different variable that I can figure is that the lousy mpg occurred during a week when we had high temperatures (90s) and high humidity (70-80 percent) -- and I had the AC going. Anyway, hope the sub-20 mpg was just a fluke....
    OK, guys, I give up: How do you push or tilt the headrests back? Mine seem to go just up or down, and the owner's manual doesn't discuss any other option. Anybody got a copy of Headrests for Dummies?
    Nah just kidding. Well, you just hold on to the headrests, and pivot them (push them gently) from the top. They will pivot back and forth, and that's another neat design by Audi (maybe VW too??). The big button on the side is just for locking the up/down position, so you don't need to bother with that.

Oh one more complaint (uh oh). The 3 pedals on the floor sit too close to each other. I was wearing a pair of slightly wider shoes today and when I tried to step on the gas pedal I can easily sideswiped the brake pedal. OK maybe it's just my foot. Or maybe this is my first 5-speed I own and I haven't got used to the tighter positioning of pedals.

Oh Scirocco, if you can figure out that A/C thing, I'd appreciate that deeply :>

Billy
    Billy -- Yaayy!! It worked! THANKS!! Gosh, the A4 is even closer to perfection than I thought it was.....
  • binyanbinyan Member Posts: 14
    I've evaluated so many cars that I sick of it. My last top pick was the 2002 VW Jetta and I was so close to buying it, but the more I read the more I found out about recurring build/quality issues. I had already gotten prefinanced and everything but then I had to stop. This is going to be my first new car and I want a positive experience. I thought I would have to settle until I saw the new 2002 A4 It seems to come standard with everything I'm looking for, minus the moonroof and tip/manu-tronic.

Plus the fact that it contains about an 1.5 more inches in the back really sold me. Now I just need to drive it, and if dealers are dealing I will pick one soon after it comes out. The only thing that bothers me is why didn't Audi up the horse in the 1.8t to 180 like the VW Jetta. Also I heard rumor of Audi coming out with their own performance chips, anyone else hear that. I only caught one reference on www.audiworld.com, since I just started researching the A4.
    This car handles like it's on rails...unfortunately, I tend to feel myself slide across the seat as I get into the twisties :) The only reason I didn't get the Sport seats was because I didn't like the cloth. Wow! what an awsome car.
    I decided to do the 1.8t on quatto, but celebration and cold weather. The price is about $25,500 compared to a 325Ci for about $31,900. I would have preferred the dimmer, but maybe next time. I am trading 99 Volvo C70 and I am taking a pretty bad hit! I am looking forward to the A4, the only problem is color, I getting black/ecru and I would prefer the Laser Red, the dealer has one and I have not tried to price that one out yet since it has the quattro. It stickers for about $29,010. I am not go at negotiating so I was going to take the other one. Anyways, I live in Chicano, so I was going to see Billy's guy up in Schuamburg this afternoon, they also have a fad, so I who ever gives me the best deal, I need new wheels by next Friday! I will let you know!
  • tysalphatysalpha Member Posts: 51
    What's really exciting me about the 2002 A4 is the availability of the "multitronic" CVT transmission. It sounds like it should really be awesome -- both faster and more fuel efficient than the manual. I wasn't even thinking about a sedan, but I'm sold (depending - of course- on how much the CVT adds to the price).

Edmunds did a preview of Audi's CVT on the A6, saying:

"...For example, an A6 3.0 with multitronic actually accelerates better and gets superior fuel economy in comparison to its manual counterpart. It even feels sportier, responding to matting of the throttle with an almost immediate increase in rpm and instantaneous acceleration. And because a CVT can offer a much wider spread of "gears" than a regular transmission, the multitronic's top ratio is much taller, revving the engine 1,700 rpm at 60 mph compared with the manual version's 2,600 rpm. That's why the multitronic gets better fuel economy than the manual. It also means the multitronic-equipped A6 feels much smoother and is significantly quieter at cruising speeds."

source: http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/46871/article.html

Some of the improvements I've read about on the 2002 A4 include the following:

. A new smoother, rounder A6 kind of look
    . A new 220hp 3.0L engine as an option
    . CVT for the front wheel drive versions
    . ESP for even better handling on curves
    . An automatic brake proportioning system
    . 45% greater body rigidity
    . New suspension systems, front and rear.
    . Thicker side windows & better molding providing a quieter ride by 3db or so.
    . The car is lighter and uses more aluminum.
    . Roughly 2 1/2 inches added to both the length and to the wheelbase.
    . A4 Quatro 3.0L engine cars get a 6 speed manual transmission or 5 speed Tiptronics.
    . Larger fuel tank
    . Dual zone automatic climate control
    . 100 Watt 10 speaker (incl subwoofer & center speaker) stereo with in-dash 6 CD changer.
    . 17" wheels available with the sport package
    . New wheel designs with larger tires for all
    . New colors
    . New imobilizer (I presume this is anti-theft)
    . 4 way power lumbar support
    . New cruise control switch (Bravo!)
    . Etc.

Apparently, Audi has promised to keep the 2002 prices as close to the 2001 prices as possible. Sure do look forward to taking one of these out for a spin.
    Karen - Yay!! You are welcomed. Glad it worked out.

Binyan - Yeah I heard about those nasty Jetta built issues. Especially on the paint issue cuz of Mexico's altitude and the paint never gets on correct. About the 2002 A4's, good you like the appearance, but then it's a new model and certainly these 2 things will happen:

1. Dealers won't be negotiating the prices so eagerly as the 2001.5 models.
    2. It's a brand new model and it takes time to perfect the glitches (OK it's out in Europe for already a year but little differences between US bound cars and European domestic ones still concern me)

Oh by the way, I have heard numerous creditible sources saying the 2001 A4's actually have 180hp. They wouldn't publish that, cuz Audi doesn't want the TT owners to think they got the same hp as an A4, and it will also hurt the 190hp V6 2.8 model sales. Think about only a 10hp difference (ok tons of torque differences) between the 2 but a premium of $4-5k over the 1.8T.

uafly - Yeah insist on seeing Mike Burden at Schaumburg Audi. Some of the other guys are just plain terrible to deal with. By the way, if you live in Chicago, it'll be an EXCELLENT idea to get Quattro. The resale value is higher and it's safer in the winter. I rarely see A4's here that don't have Quattro. Good luck on the purchase.

tysalpha - CVT is great, just remember it doesn't come in Quattro-equipped cars. ONLY comes in Fronttrak models, for now. About the word "sedan", don't be mistaken as something else like a Dodge Neon SEDAN. This A4 is no ordinary sedan.....it's a SPORTS sedan. It looks like one, and that makes it one stealthy little rocket.

keninplacitas - yup, plus the availability of rear seat heaters (if you take the cold weather pkg). Kinda makes ya run out and trade yours in for a 2002 huh? ONLY if the exterior AND interior look classier and if it doesn't look like a 2001 New Passat from the front.

These new changes surely made BMW nervous.....that's why they now put in stuff like cruise control, automatic climate control, etc as standard on the 325 models.....kinda makes you wondering, why the heck these things used to be options on a BMW???

Billy
  • binyanbinyan Member Posts: 14
    I agree that the 02 A4 will have it's own issues, however these will surely be handled by the Audi Advantage warranty. The problem with the Jetta was the # of posts that I read for recurring issues. Things reported in 1998, that are still happening today, like bad window regulators, check engine lights repeatedly comming on, seats that seem to shake/rattle while drive, break fade and etc. I'm not knocking the Jetta as it is currently my #2 pick in case I change my mind about the A4.

However right off the bat the A4 seems to have almost everything I'm really looking for. The interior is better, the cup holders are supposedly larger, more room in the back seat, slightly bigger trunk, more standard safety features, and an automatic (multitronic) that is as good if not better than a manual on acceleration and fuel efficientcy. As far as I'm concerned I only need to chose the color, add a moonroof and get 16" wheels and I'm done.
  • rwong1998rwong1998 Member Posts: 38
    Is there any technical reason for not having the CVT on the quattro in 2002 or is this just another example of having something new to market "a4 quattro with CVT in 2003 or 2004" to keep up the excitement after the first year of the new A4 model?
    rich-- hmmm, never thought of that angle... interesting thought. I just figured that it was too expensive from an engineering standpoint to put the CVT on the Quattro.

Wendell-- Yeah, I agree with Billy about the pricing of the 2002's. From what I'm reading, it sounds like they won't be dealing too much on them at introduction. Those that are ordering now give me the impression that they are paying close to MSRP (although the MSRP has yet to be announced). But I'm sure this will vary from dealer to dealer. Another thing that I'm gathering is that they will be "trickling" in and dealers won't have large quantities to sell at introduction. Of course, this is not anyting official, just what I've been reading on the net and various publications... could just be speculation and rumor. In fact, that's exactly what it is! ...LOL. So nevermind :p

Ken-- stop making me drool, damnit! :p

Billy-- Nope, couldn't do it. The manual almost makes it sounds like you can turn the a/c on and off but what it is saying is that you can turn the whole "automatic climate control system" off by pressing the "off" button (sheesh, that's self-explanatory!). It does say that you can turn the compressor off by using the "econ" button but that's not answering your original request of being able to turn the a/c on while the automatic controls turn it off once it reaches the temperature that you set. I guess you'll just have to set the temperature down while you take the moisture out of the air and then re-adjust it again.

And Billy-- I think this board is eventually going to transform over to talking about the 2002 model (duh! that's obvious for it is the logical progression) as most of the posts are now addressing the new model. Remember what I said several months ago? I think that we may have to request a thread that just deals with the discussion (problems, questions and general discussion) of our *lowly* old model line because pretty soon we will just become "second class citizens" of this board. *laughs and cries at the same time*

--'rocco
  • jerrydogjerrydog Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2000 jetta as well as 2001 A4. The Jetta has been flawless at 28,000. I have a diesel and I think their diesel's are probably their best motors. Might be a leap, but mine runs great, and they have 5 more of them for the German VW's. Gotta love the 1.8t quattro though.
    Actually, the 2002 is about 200 pounds heavier, than the 2001.5 because of the increase in body length and the better structural rigidity. Audi uses the "chip" to control turbo output, therefore, any possible performance gains via that route would be realized easier than similar mods on the normally aspirated motors. Being 200 pounds lighter with so much potential, the 2001.5 has real potential from a "hot rodder's" perspective. As soon as my warranty is over, I plan on converting the car to the 6 spd manual and upgrading the front brakes to the S4 standard. Since I already have the Quattro Sport Package, there will be no need to upgrade the suspension to match that already found on the S4. So, you see, I had put a lot of forethought into the "hot rodding" issue. The car comes from the factory with so much potential...it just needs to be coaxed out of it. The S4 has about 350 pounds on the A4 1.8T Quattro w/5 spd. A 1.0 bar chip, some minor brake mods and a 6 spd tranny and I've got an S4 for a LOT LESS $$. One other thing, the 2001.5 body lines are a classic and will be for sometime. Those that think the 2001.5 is old news are surely mistaken. The 2002 resembles the A6 and IMHO the looks just don't compare to the venerable 2001.5.
    One author's article left the impression that he believes that Audi wants the CVT for front drive models so each Audi model will have a unique quality unmatched by others.

Another article noted that Audi's CVT uses electrically powered clutch packs instead of a torque converter. It says that the variable pulleys are connected by a heavy link-plate chain. They're claiming that it's as quick and efficient as a manual transmission. It also states that it's programmed with six pre-defined ranges managed by a Tiptronic sequential selector giving drivers the option of operating it like a conventional automatic with sport shifter. Assuming this is true, it would seem that Audi has addressed concerns that some have expressed regarding not having direct control over gear selection with CVT. Now, my only concern with CVT would be with regard to reliability. Personally, I'd love to see Audi provide an extended warranty for those who opt for this transmission.
    Eban-- I was just joking when I referred to the 2001.5 an "lowly old model" ...I've said it before as has Billy, the current model just has classic good looks (although Billy disagreed with me on using the word "classic" once, lol) and its lines will wear well into the future. But more and more people are expressing their preference for the new '02's looks and features. Features I can understand but I'm still not sold on its looks although it's not as unappealing to me as it was the first time I saw pitures of it months ago. One thing that I will miss is that the new '02 will not have the integrated analog voltmeter and oil temperature gauges (I know, I know, it's just me and most people don't care how many gauges a car has ...but that alone may keep me from considering a car for purchase). That's why I like the new A6 for it is keeping the two gauges unchanged. So anyway, just as anything else, there are people who adore the new A4's styling and then there are those of us that just plain like the "classic" look of our current model. So yes, I will have to somewhat disagree with Ken when he says: "It's the next generation A4, it won't have that 'yesterdays' look or feel for years to come."
    Just read over on VWVortex that several people have ordered '02 A4's @ $1,000 over invoice. They did this without knowing what the invoice or MSRP is but the dealers are taking the order at whatever the invoice price may be. $1,000 over invoice would definitely be substantially under MSRP so you folks that are itching for one and want to be one of the first on your block to have one, run to your local dealer and see if they'd accept that offer! Have at it! ...and good luck! :-)

--'rocco
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    The order form for the A4 1.8T has engine HP at 170. Interesting that there are rumors of 180HP. Wouldn't it be nice.
    My guess is, Quattro presents too much drag for the CVT gear box to handle, at least for now before the Audi engineers can perfect CVT on Fronttrak models first. CVT also doesn't work well on a car that's too heavy and big. As you know Quattro weighs in at almost 300 pounds. That's why you see Honda puts the CVT tranny on a Civic but not on an Accord. Just my $0.02.

Hey 'rocco, I never said I don't like the "classic" look of our cars' bodystyles. I'm just saying, I don't like mine to be called "Classic A4" and the new ones as "A4"....why don't call ours the "A4" and the new ones as "New A4"? LOL.

As far as the 180hp myth, actually all 1.8T engines found in the New Passat, Jetta, Golf, GTI, TT and A4 put out 180hp even this year 2001. It's just a sales technique used by Audi/VW. Of course nobody can understand why VW puts 180hp on the paper for 2002 and Audi still puts 170hp down. Maybe to boost the 3.0L sales?? (222 vs 170, that will push some potential 1.8T buyers to the 3.0L models)

Billy
  • jcordrayjcordray Member Posts: 6
    When are they supposed to start showing up?
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    We bought an A4 1.8T Q in February and it has been a great car so far. Absolutely flawless! Have there been any recalls or questionable performance/reliability anything that has been identified with this model this year? We are planning on keeping the car for a long time and want to make sure that we are taking care of it properly. Thanks.

P.S. Best wax polish for the A4?
    *argh* how come Edmunds doesn't allow posting URL's that are longer than 115 characters???????

Okay, I don't know how it happened but that hyper-link in the above post should work for those of you who haven't read the article; just click on it.

--'rocco
    Christo-- No recalls or maintenance issues that I know of for either the 2001 or the 2001.5 but maybe someone else can think of something. This model represents the last model year of the current cycle so all the bugs and service issues should have been worked out by now ...Audi has had eight years to "perfect" this model and I hope that's the case!! As for polishes/waxes, I've used three with good success on many cars: Zaino, Griots and Zymol. Quite a few over at Audiworld use and recommend these also.

Billy-- I agree with your CVT analysis. I did read that somewhere ...that CVT works best with lighter vehicles. And ok, I didn't mean that I wanted to call our cars "classic" yet but IMO we need some sort of adjective to differentiate ours from the "new" because most people will just refer to the 2002 model as just an "A4." Sadly, it makes more sense to call our cars the "old A4" and the new ones simply "A4." *weeps*

--'rocco
    Dear Mr scirocco,

Thank you so very, very much for for using my name in your comments. To clarify though, Both AudiWorld and AutoWeek were references I used for my 2002 A4 features comments. My attempt was to paraphrase and combine what I read in these articles, not "quote" them directly. There were, though, some instances where substitute wording was not viable. Quite frankly, it's not nice to directly quote other writers without asking permission and then providing reference information.

Ken
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    <<<This model represents the last model year of the current cycle so all the bugs and service issues should have been worked out by now >>> This was one of the overriding reasons why we bought the A4. So far, not a single complaint. My '97 Jetta GLX was one of the last model years and it has been very reliable for 100,000 miles. My new 325i has been great mechanically for 3 months but it has had 2 or 3 cosmetic flaws...Glad to hear that theere have been no recalls or major problems with the A4.
    Dear Mr. Cooper-- My sincerest apologies. I sometimes whip these posts out as I'm running out the door and on breaks at work, etc. I've deleted my post that mentions your name. Yes, I was remiss in mentioning your name without permission ...I'm used to the informality of this board. I also mis-stepped in calling your comments a "quote" ...it was obviously not a quotation and again I just rushed composing that post without even proofreading. Again, my apologies. It's time for me to "retire" from Edmunds when it gets to the point where I'm offending others with my constant posting.

--'rocco
    --'rocco

p.s. Billy-- maybe we can exchange e-mail addresses to keep in touch.

Karen-- I'll give you a post over on "that" Subaru board... I'd still like to get some of your impressions on your new A4. ...and I'll give you some of my impression on the Forester.